Post Reply 3265 posts
The Official 70000TONS OF METAL 2017 Megathread
    Pellaz
    Lieutenant

Re: The Sailor Who Cried Wolf

by Pellaz » Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:48 pm

alex_canada wrote:As has already been said, the clues haven't really been clues so far, but:

-Amon Amarth = Mount Doom = FIREy volcano
    -Cried wolf = every time A is announced, everyone always demands Amon Amarth
    -The letter A is next.

I would think that if - oh fuck it, there's no logic here.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Yeah, I'm pretty much over the "hoping for Amon Amarth" train. If it happens, awesome!; if not, well, I've still got a lot to look forward to on the boat....Manegarm included.
    --And for the first time in a while, NO-ONE guessed correctly regarding Andy's next band. :o
    2025 Wishlist:
    1349--Abbath--Abigail.Williams--Aephanemer--Agalloch--Agathodaimon--Alien.Weaponry--Allegaeon--Amon.Amarth--Amorphis--Animals.As.Leaders--Arkona--Arsis--Atrocity--Ayreon--Bal.Sagoth--Baroness--Barren.Earth--Battlelore--Behemoth--Below.7--Belzebubs--Be'lakor--Black.Crown.Initiate--Bloodbath--Borknagar--Broken.Trinity--Cannibal.Corpse--Chthe'ilist--CoF--Countless.Skies--Cynic--Demons.&.Wizards--Dimmu.Borgir--Dark.Tranquillity--Dragonforce--Edge.of.Sanity--Witherscape--anything.Dan.Swano--Eluveitie--Eneferens--Ensiferum--Enslaved--Eternal.Tears.of.Sorrow--Evergrey--Exmortus--Ex.Deo--Fear.Factory--Fires.In.the.Distance--Gojira--Graveworm--Green.Carnation--Hypocrisy--Immortal--Insomnium--Irreversible.Mechanism--Kalmah--Kamelot--Keep.Of.Kalessin--Korpiklaani--Kreator--Leprous--Luciferan.Light.Orchestra--Loss--Melechesh--Meshuggah--Mezarkabul--Moonspell--Mors.Principium.Est--Myrath--Ne.Obliviscaris--Nile--Nokturnal.Mortem--NorthTale--Novembers.Doom--Obscura--Old.Mans.Child--Opeth--Paladin--Poisonblack--Powerwolf--Primordial--Rapheumet's.Well--Raven--Rivers.Of.Nihil--Ryujin--Sabaton--Sadistic.Ritual--Samael--Satyricon--Savatage--Scale.the.Summit--Scorched.Moon--Septic.Flesh--Serious.Black--Seven.Spires--Sigh--Skalmold--Slough.Feg--Starkill--Steorrah--SYL--Suidakra--Summoning--Tarot--Therion--Thy.Serpent--Tomarum--Tomb.Mold--Turisas--Twilight.Force--Tyr--Vale.Of.Pnath--Valhalore--Vesania--Vintersorg--Wolfchant--Yyrkoon
    2015-2020; 2023-2024: Survivor
    2025: most likely
    acidbasement
    Chief Petty Officer

by acidbasement » Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:52 pm

UMC are trolling hard on Facebook, actually responding to people who are guessing that it's AA next.
    I almost think we might get them. But not announced until Feb. 1.
    I'm only here to do two things: play the bagpipes and gargle sulphuric acid. Looks like we're almost out of acid.
    Gratch
    Chief Petty Officer

by Gratch » Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:53 pm

General Zod wrote:
    Andy wrote:We're turning up the heat now! Hang tight until the next "A"nnouncement...

Turning up the heat would produce ash. Could mean Ashes to Ares. Would love to have Barlow on the boat. Given we already have the drummer (Van Williams) from Ghost Ship, could be.

Or Ash Borer, which would also be pretty awesome.
    Survivor 2016/17/18/19/20

Ultimate Wishlist Bands
    Anaal Nathrakh - Behemoth - Igorrr - Khemmis - Myrkur - The Ocean - Pallbearer - Sigh - Tribulation - Sentient Horror - Turisas - Wilderun - Witherscape - Zeal & Ardor
    Sgt. B
    Lieutenant-Commander

by Sgt. B » Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:01 pm

Good selection. I saw Manegarm at their first North American appearance (I think) in 2007 at Heathen Crusade II. I really enjoyed them.
    1914-Abbath-Aeon-Ahab-Akercocke-Alcest-AliceCooper-Alestorm-AmonAmarth-Amorphis-AnaalNathrakh-Anathema-AnnekeVanGeirsbergen/VUUR-ArmoredSaint-Asphyx-AtTheGates-Auðn-Ayreon-BarrenEarth-Behemoth-Be'lakor-BlackBreath-BlackFast-BlindGuardian-Borknagar-Brainstorm-CallenishCircle-Candlemass-CarpenterBrut-ChelseaWolfe-CirithUngol-Cloak-Conan-CravenIdol-Cruachan-CryptSermon-CultOfLuna-CutUp-DarkAngel-DarkFortress-DeadCongregation-DeathAngel-DemolitionHammer-Demons&Wizards-DevinTownsend-Dismember-DraggedIntoSunlight-Dyscarnate-EdgeOfSanity-ElectricWizard-Emperor-Enforcer-Enshine-Entombed-Entrails-EsotericUK-Evocation-Exodus-Evoken-Exhorder-Falkenbach-FatesWarning-Fen-Feral-Firespawn-Flotsam&Jetsam-ForgottenTomb-GeneralSurgery-Ghost-GhostBath-Ghoul-Godflesh-Gojira-Gorguts-Gorod-GrandMagus-Grave-GraveMiasma-GreenCarnation-Haemorrhage-HammersOfMisfortune-Hate-HighSpirits-HoodedMenace-Hypocrisy-IcedEarth-Ihsahn-Immolation-ImperiumDekadenz-InTheWoods-Incantation-InterArma-IronReagan-Izegrim-Kadavar-Kampfar-KeepOfKalessin-Khemmis-Khonsu-KingDiamond/MercyfulFate-KingGoat-Kriegsmaschine-LaazRockit-LacunaCoil-LegionOfTheDamned-LIK-LimbonicArt-Loudness-Lvcifyre(UK)-Manegarm-Melechesh-Memoriam-Mgla-MiseryIndex-Mistur-MonsterMagnet-Moonsorrow-Moonspell-MournfulCongregation-MunicipalWaste-MyDyingBride-Myrkur-MysticProphecy-Nails-Necrot-NovembersDoom-Novembre-NuclearAssault-Okera-Opeth-OrangeGoblin-OranssiPazuzu-Orchid-Overkill-PagansMind-Panopticon-Perturbator-Portal-Powerwolf-Primordial-Profetus-PowerTrip-Prong-Queensryche-RottenSound-RottingChrist-S.O.D.-Sabbat(UK)-SacredReich-Sanctuary-Saor-Sarke-Saturnus-Satyricon-Saxon-Schammasch-SecretsOfTheMoon-ShapeOfDespair-SkeletalRemains-Skeletonwitch-Skepticism-Skyclad-Skyforger-Sleep-SloughFeg-Solstafir-SufferingHour-SuicidalAngels-SulphurAeon-SvartCrown-Sylosis-TempleOfVoid-Testament-TheCrown-TheGathering-TheGreatOldOnes-TheHaunted-TheLurkingFear-TheOcean-TheRuinsOfBeverast-Therion-Thulcandra-Thyrfing-Tribulation-Triptykon-Uada-Ulcerate-Unleashed-Vader-Vemod-Vio-Lence-Visigoth-Voices(UK)-Vredehammer-Vreid-WakeTheDead-Watain-Wayfarer-Waylander-Windhand-Winterfylleth-Witherscape-WithinTemptation-Wolf-WolvesInTheThroneRoom-Yob-Zhrine

2012: Survivor
    2014: Survivor
    2015: Survivor
    2016: Survivor
    2017: Survivor
    2018: Survivor
    2019: Survivor
    2020: Survivor
    2023: Survivor
    2024: Survivor
    BtH(2012): Survivor
    Azazel101
    Sub-Lieutenant

by Azazel101 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:18 pm

Just might be one of my favorite adds of the year. Well top 5
    Been on my wish list all most every year
    ThyDarkendShade-/-SickofitAll-/-ArchEneny-/-AmonAmarth-/-Atrophy-/-D.R.I.-/-SuicidalTendencies-/-SLAYERlastshow-/-AmoredSaint-/-Autopsy-/-Doyle-/-AcidBath-/-BodyCount-/-Defiance-/-Dismember-/-ViscularAssault-/-Clutch-/-Entrails-/-EntombedAD-/-Hypocrisy-/-JungleRot-/-BrokenHope-/-NuclearAssault-/-Solstafir-/-LodyKong-/-Swans-/-Izgrim-/-LawnmowerDeth-/-TheExploited-/-CrypticSlaughter-/-FEAR
    Survived2011/12/13/14/15/16/17/18/19/BTH
  • meshuggah
    Ensign

by meshuggah » Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:38 pm

Hang tight refers to the song "Choke". Next band is Alice in Chains. (yea, right) :mrgreen:
  • deathmetalpat
    Ensign

by deathmetalpat » Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:44 pm

"Hang on tight" would really point to a storm ,an Alestorm!
    2012-14 Survivor
    2015-16 Abandoned Ship
    2017 Returned
    2018 Got a bad feeling about this Abandon Ship
    2019 This is Fucking Ridiculous
    2020 Bands ,what bands boat is all that matters
    2021 Yeah this isn’t happening
  • Godflesh
    Ensign

by Godflesh » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:15 pm

Azazel101 wrote:Just might be one of my favorite adds of the year. Well top 5

I didn't know them before and they sound too folksy for me, but I'm listening to their latest album and they're really good. I'll try to catch one of their shows.
    Glad people are happy!
  • Godflesh
    Ensign

by Godflesh » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:19 pm

Sgt. B wrote:Good selection. I saw Manegarm at their first North American appearance (I think) in 2007 at Heathen Crusade II. I really enjoyed them.

Dude, even if all the remaining bands were Crippers, still one band out of 5 would come from your wish list! (12/60)
    Azazel101
    Sub-Lieutenant

by Azazel101 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:30 pm

Godflesh wrote:
    Azazel101 wrote:Just might be one of my favorite adds of the year. Well top 5

I didn't know them before and they sound too folksy for me, but I'm listening to their latest album and they're really good. I'll try to catch one of their shows.
    Glad people are happy!

I have never seen them live but I think they would be great on the pool deck around 3:00am
    Black Dark Sky's, Breezy, no land insight and some great songs
    ThyDarkendShade-/-SickofitAll-/-ArchEneny-/-AmonAmarth-/-Atrophy-/-D.R.I.-/-SuicidalTendencies-/-SLAYERlastshow-/-AmoredSaint-/-Autopsy-/-Doyle-/-AcidBath-/-BodyCount-/-Defiance-/-Dismember-/-ViscularAssault-/-Clutch-/-Entrails-/-EntombedAD-/-Hypocrisy-/-JungleRot-/-BrokenHope-/-NuclearAssault-/-Solstafir-/-LodyKong-/-Swans-/-Izgrim-/-LawnmowerDeth-/-TheExploited-/-CrypticSlaughter-/-FEAR
    Survived2011/12/13/14/15/16/17/18/19/BTH
  • Jotunheimr
    Midshipman

by Jotunheimr » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:18 pm

The recent "We're turning up the heat now" clue seems like they're hinting at Amon Amarth but watch them book some crap like Arsonists Get All The Girls.
    2015: 6511
    2016: 7455
    2020: 3240
    2025:

2024 Gigs: Tyr&Trollfest-/-Korpiklaani-/-Firewind-/-Kamelot-/-Exhumed-/-AmonAmarth

Wishlist: AdornedBrood-/-Alestorm-/-Arcturus-/-Arkona-/-Arsis-/-Artension-/-BeastInBlack-/-Blackguard-/-BlackMessiah-/-Borknagar-/-Carcass-/-CarpathianForest-/-CircleIICircle-/-Crownshift-/-Cruachan-/-Cryptosis-/-Dalriada-/-DerWegEinerFreiheit-/-DimmuBorgir-/-Einherjer-/-Eluveitie-/-Elvenking-/-Ensiferum-/-Enslaved-/-Equilibrium-/-Falconer-/-Falkenbach-/-Fejd-/-Feuerschwanz-/-Finntroll-/-Finsterforst-/-Firewind-/-FleshgodApocalypse-/-Folkearth-/-Forefather-/-Gåte-/-Glittertind-/-Gorguts-/-Haggard-/-HarakiriForTheSky-/-Heidevolk-/-Isengard-/-JonOlivasPain-/-Kampfar-/-KingOfAsgard-/-KivimetsanDruidi-/-Korpiklaani-/-Krisiun-/-LornaShore-/-Lumsk-/-Manegarm-/-Metsatoll-/-Mithotyn-/-Moonsorrow-/-Moonspell-/-Necrophagist-/-Nightwish-/-OfTheWandAndTheMoon-/-Otyg-/-Primordial-/-RiotV-/-RottingChrist-/-Sabaton-/-Savatage-/-SevenSpires-/-Skalmold-/-Skiltron-/-Skyforger-/-Sodom-/-Solstafir-/-Spellblast-/-SpiritsOfFire-/-SteelPanther-/-Svartsot-/-Swashbuckle-/-Testament-/-TheBlackDahliaMurder-/-TheHaunted-/-Thorondir-/-Thyrfing-/-ToxicHolocaust-/-Trollfest-/-Turisas-/-Tyr-/-Ulver-/-Varg-/-Verikalpa-/-Vintersorg-/-Warmen-/-Wintersun-/-Wolfchant
  • Godflesh
    Ensign

by Godflesh » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:54 pm

Jotunheimr wrote:The recent "We're turning up the heat now" clue seems like they're hinting at Amon Amarth but watch them book some crap like Arsonists Get All The Girls.

Lol, I imagine the pitchforks if it turns out to be AUGUST BURNS RED :twisted: :twisted:
    Warphine
    Ensign

by Warphine » Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:14 pm

There better be an "H" for HYPOCRISY coming in the next 9 announcements... or I'm going to watch Pain on the boat and probably not be able to shake the feeling that I wish I were watching Hypocrisy instead.

It's been 12 years since I last saw Hypocrisy live. That's 12 years too long.
    Survivor of 2012, BTH, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017

Aborted/Abysmal-Dawn/Abyssal/Ade/Adversarial/Aenaon/Aeon/Aeternam/Alkaloid/Antichrist/APMD/Archspire/Autopsy/Barren-Earth/Benighted/Beyond-Creation/Black-Breath/Blues-Pills/Bodyfarm/Bölzer/Byzantine/Carnal-Forge/Church-of-Misery/Condition-Critical/Condor/Craven-Idol/The-Crown/Cut-Up/Dark-Fortress/Darkest-Hour/Dark-Tranquillity/Dead-Congregation/Death-Breath/Deathhammer/Defeated-Sanity/Degial/Denner-Shermann/Deströyer-666/Deviant-Process/Diabolic-Night/Dew-Scented/Divinity/Division-Speed/Dyscarnate/Ensnared/Evil-Invaders/Execration/Firespawn/Foreseen/Funeral-Whore/Goatwhore/Gorod/Graveyard(Sweden-or-Spain)/Gruesome/Hail-of-Bullets/Haken/Harlott/Harm(Norway)/Hellbringer/Hooded-Menace/Hypocrisy/Igorrr/In-Twilight's-Embrace/Inanimate-Existence/Inculter/Inferi/Infestus/Insomnium/Jess-And-The-Ancient-Ones/King's-Evil/Kreator/Legion-of-the-Damned/Lich-King/Lvcifyre/Maat/Mammoth-Grinder/Man-Must-Die/Meshuggah/Mgla/Miasmal/Miseration/Mitochondrian/Mutoid-Man/Nader-Sadek/Nails/Ne-Obliviscaris/Necrophobic/Necrot/Negative-Plane/Nekrofilth/Nekromantheon/Nevermore/Nightbreed/Night-Flight-Orchestra/Nigredo/Nocturnal-Graves/Obliteration(Norway)/Obscura/Obscure-Infinity/Obsequiae/October-Tide/Onslaught/Opeth/Orator/Outre/Pallbearer/Persefone/Perversifier/Pestifer/Phrenelith/Power-Trip/Pro-Pain/Protector/Purson/Ranger/Ramming-Speed/Razor/Recueil-Morbide/Repugnant/Ripper/Scorched/Scythian/Septicflesh/Serpents-Lair/Shape-of-Despair/Shrine-of-Insanabilis/Skeletonwitch/Solipsist/Solution-.45/Sorcery/Soreption/Speedtrap/Speedwolf/Suffering-Hour/Sulphur-Aeon/Svart-Crown/Swallow-The-Sun/Swallowed/Sylosis/Take-Over-And-Destroy/Teethgrinder/Temple-of-Baal/Temple-of-Void/Terrifier/Thantifaxath/Thy-Darkened-Shade/Toxic-Holocaust/Tribulation/Triptykon/Triumvir-Foul/Turbid-North/Ulsect/Uncle-Acid/Unfathomable-Ruination/Vampire/Vastum/Vektor/Venefixion/Venenum/Vicious-Art/Vomitory/Vorum/Warbringer/Watain/Witchcraft/Witchery/Wolfheart/Year-of-the-Goat/Zhrine/ZOM

Green - Most Wanted | Red - Booked
    Memnoch
    Lieutenant-Commander

by Memnoch » Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:11 am

I'd prefer Ereb Altor of the Swedish Viking era Bathory style bands, but Månegarm is a solid add anyhow. Can't really find anything similar between them and Amon Amarth though, and to me that is a good thing. And while we're on the subject of Amon Amarth, I really, really hope they won't be onbroad. I don't hate the band or anything, but their music is just so damn dull. And their diehard fanbase is starting to be just as lovely as Slayer 's. :beerwink:

As for the A band, Anaal Nathrakh would be cool. If the "turn up the heat" is a clue, "Anneke van Giersbergen's Vuur" (vuur is fire in Dutch) would be ridiculously awesome - even if the band just announced that their first show ever will be in the Netherlands in June. Ade could burn Carthago on their shows (latest album is called "Carthago delenda est").
    Wishlist:
    GIRLIE METAL / OLD SCHOOL DEATH METAL / DOOM METAL
  • Jotunheimr
    Midshipman

by Jotunheimr » Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:39 am

Memnoch wrote:And while we're on the subject of Amon Amarth, I really, really hope they won't be onbroad.

I really hope they get announced, which will rule them out for 2018 and free up a headliner slot for someone I haven't already seen 4 times.
    2015: 6511
    2016: 7455
    2020: 3240
    2025:

2024 Gigs: Tyr&Trollfest-/-Korpiklaani-/-Firewind-/-Kamelot-/-Exhumed-/-AmonAmarth

Wishlist: AdornedBrood-/-Alestorm-/-Arcturus-/-Arkona-/-Arsis-/-Artension-/-BeastInBlack-/-Blackguard-/-BlackMessiah-/-Borknagar-/-Carcass-/-CarpathianForest-/-CircleIICircle-/-Crownshift-/-Cruachan-/-Cryptosis-/-Dalriada-/-DerWegEinerFreiheit-/-DimmuBorgir-/-Einherjer-/-Eluveitie-/-Elvenking-/-Ensiferum-/-Enslaved-/-Equilibrium-/-Falconer-/-Falkenbach-/-Fejd-/-Feuerschwanz-/-Finntroll-/-Finsterforst-/-Firewind-/-FleshgodApocalypse-/-Folkearth-/-Forefather-/-Gåte-/-Glittertind-/-Gorguts-/-Haggard-/-HarakiriForTheSky-/-Heidevolk-/-Isengard-/-JonOlivasPain-/-Kampfar-/-KingOfAsgard-/-KivimetsanDruidi-/-Korpiklaani-/-Krisiun-/-LornaShore-/-Lumsk-/-Manegarm-/-Metsatoll-/-Mithotyn-/-Moonsorrow-/-Moonspell-/-Necrophagist-/-Nightwish-/-OfTheWandAndTheMoon-/-Otyg-/-Primordial-/-RiotV-/-RottingChrist-/-Sabaton-/-Savatage-/-SevenSpires-/-Skalmold-/-Skiltron-/-Skyforger-/-Sodom-/-Solstafir-/-Spellblast-/-SpiritsOfFire-/-SteelPanther-/-Svartsot-/-Swashbuckle-/-Testament-/-TheBlackDahliaMurder-/-TheHaunted-/-Thorondir-/-Thyrfing-/-ToxicHolocaust-/-Trollfest-/-Turisas-/-Tyr-/-Ulver-/-Varg-/-Verikalpa-/-Vintersorg-/-Warmen-/-Wintersun-/-Wolfchant
    Memnoch
    Lieutenant-Commander

by Memnoch » Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:45 am

Haha, I hope Andy's saving them for 2018, since it's highly unlikely that I'll be going then. Going to San Diego in November for the Craft Beer Week, so probably won't have enough vacation days for 70k.
    Wishlist:
    GIRLIE METAL / OLD SCHOOL DEATH METAL / DOOM METAL
    Yippee38
    Petty Officer

by Yippee38 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:49 am

Godflesh wrote:
    Jotunheimr wrote:The recent "We're turning up the heat now" clue seems like they're hinting at Amon Amarth but watch them book some crap like Arsonists Get All The Girls.

Lol, I imagine the pitchforks if it turns out to be AUGUST BURNS RED :twisted: :twisted:

heh. That actually seems like it fits the clue really well too.
    Yippee38
    Petty Officer

by Yippee38 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:52 am

Downvod wrote:Actually makes a lot of sense... also overdue for that type of band. Think you may be right.

It seems like a bit of stretch to me. As much as I'd like to see them, as I'm a huge Barlow fan, they seem to be pretty inactive. The last "news" on their website is from August 2015.
  • Mark
    Petty Officer

by Mark » Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:58 am

Manegarm is another really solid late add.
    By now I have way too many bands that I'd like to see this year.
    Alestorm/Amaranthe/Anneke/Avantasia/Blind Guardian/Civil War/Devin Townsend/Apokalyptische Reiter/Edguy/Ensiferum/Equilibrium/Falconer/Gloryhammer/Grave Digger/Heidevolk/Korpiklaani/Omnium Gatherum/Powerwolf/Rage/Sabaton/Saxon/Therion/Trollfest/Wintersun
  • AceHugger
    Petty Officer

by AceHugger » Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:25 am

alex_canada wrote:-Cried wolf = every time A is announced, everyone always demands Amon Amarth

- this - If I was him, - everyone expected it early - defy them. - everyone now expects it last - defy them

If he does this, - no-one will ever have any idea in future if the big bands have come, or are going to be added at the end, or at any point in between. Every band announcement could potentially be a BIGGY - I think it would be a stroke of absolute Genuis.

the ethos will become that "ANY band can drop at ANY time". People will be waiting with baited breath through every announcement ( much like now) - & I think it would boost ticket sales for later years because people will have the confidence that the lineup will take shape over time & will not disappoint. - If this does happen, I think it's clear they're playing the long game.

More to the point, - I have to admit that i'm not really familiar with them AT ALL, - so today at work, - I'm going to Spotify up & see what all the hype is about, - I'll let you know my thoughts later.

- Peace out -

P.S. - I'm still waiting for spineshank to be announced.....
    2017 - Deck 8 -... 8372 .
    2018 - Deck 8 -... 8372 .
  • macamatic
    Petty Officer

by macamatic » Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:08 am

Godflesh wrote:

I think a lot of people here would enjoy ABR much more than they would like to admit. They always put on a fantastic show and JB is a criminally underrated guitarist.

That being said, they're on tour during the cruise.
    2017: 6523 | 2018: 2546

Want: Ancient Bards, Dark Tranquillity, Deadlock, Disarmonia Mundi, In Mourning, Insomnium, Symphony X, The Unguided, Wintersun, Within Temptation
    TPH
    Chief Petty Officer

by TPH » Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:23 am

Memnoch wrote:And while we're on the subject of Amon Amarth, I really, really hope they won't be onbroad. I don't hate the band or anything, but their music is just so damn dull. And their diehard fanbase is starting to be just as lovely as Slayer 's. :beerwink:

If I see you on the boat, a free beer of your choice will be coming your way :mrgreen:
    I can't understand why this band has become so huge. And I have come to fucking loathe them, because some awesome bands I love have ended up opening for them, instead of doing their own tours...paid a full show just to see Testament opening a few months ago (Testament were awesome, I left just after their show), going to miss Dark Tranquillity for the same reason.
    Wacken 2003
    Fury Fest 2004-2005, Hellfest 2006 to 2023
    70K 2017 - cabin 2250
    70K 2018 - cabin 8215
    70K 2019 - cabin 10xxx (can't fucking remember)
  • AceHugger
    Petty Officer

by AceHugger » Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:47 am

I just threw this together as I was bored, and i don't think this needs a thread of it's own, .....so

I always found it Interesting (??) that in my personal CD collection (back in the day) I had Sooooo many 'S' artist's albums more than any other letter. which got me wondering......

so yeah, - Just in case anyone even cares... number of bands by first letter of artist name.

There's 'A' clear front-runner at present.....

A - 8 ( Including the unknown 'A')
    B - 0
    C - 1
    D - 5
    E - 2
    F - 0
    G - 4
    H - 1
    I - 0
    J - 0
    K - 2
    L - 0
    M - 5
    N - 2
    O - 3
    P - 3
    Q - 0
    R - 1
    S - 6
    T - 4
    U - 2
    V - 1
    W - 0
    X - 1
    Y - 0
    Z - 0

whee, - that was fun!
    2017 - Deck 8 -... 8372 .
    2018 - Deck 8 -... 8372 .
    MettalMiranda
    Oiler

Re: Rise And Shine!

by MettalMiranda » Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:22 am

Daenerys wrote:*waves* Hi Miranda! Super excited that we'll be seeing you both in a few weeks! :D

I cannot wait to see you either ! This is going tgo be so much fun !

Demolition hammer - Onslaught - BullRiff Stampede - Kryptos -Seprevation -Gojira - Black Kirin - Ego Falls - Testament - Savage Messiah - Anthrax - Krysthla - Beholder - Demonic Resurrection - Reptilian Death - Bhyanak Maut- BurgerKill
  • Mark
    Petty Officer

by Mark » Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:23 am

Thanks for sharing, I always enjoy random facts :cheers:
    The number of A bands really shows how much Andy tried to tease us this time around though :twisted:
    Alestorm/Amaranthe/Anneke/Avantasia/Blind Guardian/Civil War/Devin Townsend/Apokalyptische Reiter/Edguy/Ensiferum/Equilibrium/Falconer/Gloryhammer/Grave Digger/Heidevolk/Korpiklaani/Omnium Gatherum/Powerwolf/Rage/Sabaton/Saxon/Therion/Trollfest/Wintersun
    General Zod
    Chief Petty Officer

by General Zod » Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:28 am

TPH wrote:And I have come to fucking loathe them, because some awesome bands I love have ended up opening for them, instead of doing their own tours...

You hate Amon Amarth because they give quality acts the opportunity to perform to a bigger crowd and hopefully grow their own audience as a result? These bands are choosing to open for Amon Amarth, rather than doing their own tours, because it's better for them in both the short and long term. If you wish to direct your anger at bands for the openers they choose, why not direct it at Iron Maiden for taking out Bullet for my Valentine, Judas Priest for taking Five Finger Death Punch or Metallica for taking out Baby Metal? These legendary acts could be passing the torch and are instead choosing to merely add a few more dollars to bank accounts they'll never exhaust, by ceding to corporate interests.
    ***WISH-LIST***Accept-†-Aether-Realm-†-Ajattara-†-Almanac-†-Amon-Amarth-†-Antropomorphia-†-Anubis-Gate-†-Ashes-of-Ares-†-Aska-†-Asphyx-†-Bastard-Sapling-†-Be'lakor-†-Behemoth-†-Below-†-Binary-Creed-†-Blind-Guardian-†-Blood-Red-Throne-†-Brainstorm-†-Brothers-of-Metal-†-Craven-Idol-†-Cult-of-Luna-†-Dark-Tranquillity-†-Darkest-Era-†-Deafheaven-†-Demons-&-Wizards-†-Diviner-†-Ex-Deo-†-Fallujah-†-Gatecreeper-†-God-Dethroned-†-Gorgoroth-†-Grand-Magus-†-Hyperion-†-Iced-Earth-†-Immolation-†-InnerWish-†-Inquisition-†-Iron-Savior-†-Jag-Panzer-†-Junius-†-Manimal-†-Manowar-†-Mantar-†-Mastodon-†-Mechina-†-Mgla-†-My-Dying-Bride-†-Mystic-Prophecy-†-Necrot-†-Nevermore-†-Night-Demon-†-Nokturnal-Mortem-†-Oak-Pantheon-†-Phrenelith-†-Pillorian-†-Powerwolf-†-Primal-Fear†-Primordial-†-Rotting-Christ-†-Samael-†-Shade-Empire-†-Sorcerer-†-Sulphur-Aeon-†-Sumerlands-†-Temple-of-Void-†-Thyrfing-†-Tribulation-†-Triptykon-†-UADA-†-Unleash-the-Archers-†-Visigoth-†-Vredehammer-†-Wiegedood-†-Wildernessking-†-Woe-†-Zhrine
    TPH
    Chief Petty Officer

by TPH » Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:07 am

Well, I have the habit of overstating things :D
    I don't literally "fucking loathe" them, just that seeing bands that could tour by themselves having to open for them, when they are 10 times better than AA, is starting to piss me off. Obviously, Amon Amarth is a big deal at the moment, and opening for them is a very safe choice that allows to play in front of lager crowds, and minimize financial risks. And Dark Tranquillity and Testament, selling-wise, can't compare to AA at the moment.
    But this doesn't change the fact that some of my favorite bands have to take opening slots for the same band, which I've always found bland as hell - and it's not like I didn't try before, especially live. It's like having to pay 50€ for one glass of Westmalle Tripel, but only if you drink four pints of Coors Light later.

At least we can agree on the second part of your post.
    Last edited by TPH on Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
    Wacken 2003
    Fury Fest 2004-2005, Hellfest 2006 to 2023
    70K 2017 - cabin 2250
    70K 2018 - cabin 8215
    70K 2019 - cabin 10xxx (can't fucking remember)
  • Phoenix
    Lieutenant

by Phoenix » Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:09 am

70,000 Tons of Metal 2017, brought to you by the letter A!

General Zod wrote:...These bands are choosing to open for Amon Amarth, rather than doing their own tours, because it's better for them in both the short and long term...

Yup. Bigger bands that can choose their openers will do what they can for the guys they think deserve a boost. I think I heard it was Blind Guardian and a few others that always pick which bands they want to tour with, which gives the other bands a MAJOR chance to shine. Gotta respect them for that. I've been to SO MANY shows where I like one of the support bands more than the main attraction, but if not for the main attraction I probably wouldn't have gotten to see the band otherwise.

Someone did say that Amon Amarth fans as a whole are not the best to be on a boat with, and yeah that's in some ways true. That'll happen for most main stream metal bands, which I think it's probably safe to say AA is at this point. That may, if Amon Amarth is locked in for this year (I'm thinking that it's not the case with every passing announcement), be the reason he's been holding off announcing them. He doesn't want to draw their not-so-great fans onto a boat where family is the #1 reason people book.

Survivor:
    Out for 2023
    captaingabbeh
    Chief Petty Officer

by captaingabbeh » Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:11 am

Crap, why have I never listened to Manegarm before? This is some great music.

2015-2018,
    Goth Cruise 2019

Wishlist: Myrath-Skindred-Rotting Christ-Amorphis-Hypocrisy-Demons & Wizards-3TEETH-Emperor-Psyclon Nine-Ihsahn-Batushka-Anaal Nathrakh-Epica-Aeternam-Nightwish-Starkill-Primordial-Zeal & Ardor-Powerwolf
    crazemidgt
    Crewman

by crazemidgt » Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:17 am

Phoenix wrote:70,000 Tons of Metal 2017, brought to you by the letter A!

General Zod wrote:...These bands are choosing to open for Amon Amarth, rather than doing their own tours, because it's better for them in both the short and long term...

Yup. Bigger bands that can choose their openers will do what they can for the guys they think deserve a boost. I think I heard it was Blind Guardian and a few others that always pick which bands they want to tour with, which gives the other bands a MAJOR chance to shine. Gotta respect them for that. I've been to SO MANY shows where I like one of the support bands more than the main attraction, but if not for the main attraction I probably wouldn't have gotten to see the band otherwise.

Someone did say that Amon Amarth fans as a whole are not the best to be on a boat with, and yeah that's in some ways true. That'll happen for most main stream metal bands, which I think it's probably safe to say AA is at this point. That may, if Amon Amarth is locked in for this year (I'm thinking that it's not the case with every passing announcement), be the reason he's been holding off announcing them. He doesn't want to draw their not-so-great fans onto a boat where family is the #1 reason people book.

That is a very good point. A friend ended up getting a broken arm and cheek bone during Amon Amarth's last show in Calgary during a friendly mosh pit we started that turned violently aggressive. Some douchebag decided that it would be cool to suplex him and in turn he ended up missing the rest of the show and had a prolonged stay in the hospital.
    I absolutely hate going to shows in North America because there are so many idiots who think it is appropriate to only have the intent to injure someone in the pit.
    70K 2017 Cabin - 6232

70K Survivor - 2015
    Wacken - 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014
    MetalDays - 2014
    General Zod
    Chief Petty Officer

by General Zod » Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:18 am

TPH wrote:Well, I have the habit of overstating things :D

That makes two of us. :bangers:

TPH wrote:I don't literally "fucking loathe" them, just that seeing bands that could tour by themselves having to open for them, when they are 10 times better than AA, is starting to piss me off.

I totally get where you're coming from.

Phoenix wrote:I think I heard it was Blind Guardian and a few others that always pick which bands they want to tour with, which gives the other bands a MAJOR chance to shine. Gotta respect them for that.

I'm friendly with a band who recently bought on to a Blind Guardian tour. And while I can't speak to how they were selected to be the band who got the chance to buy on to the tour, I can say that BG was very cool to them. In fact, Hansi pulled their singer aside a few times during the tour and offered his advice on how she could better approach things as a front person. I always thought that was very cool, as he clearly had no need to do that other than to be a good guy.
    ***WISH-LIST***Accept-†-Aether-Realm-†-Ajattara-†-Almanac-†-Amon-Amarth-†-Antropomorphia-†-Anubis-Gate-†-Ashes-of-Ares-†-Aska-†-Asphyx-†-Bastard-Sapling-†-Be'lakor-†-Behemoth-†-Below-†-Binary-Creed-†-Blind-Guardian-†-Blood-Red-Throne-†-Brainstorm-†-Brothers-of-Metal-†-Craven-Idol-†-Cult-of-Luna-†-Dark-Tranquillity-†-Darkest-Era-†-Deafheaven-†-Demons-&-Wizards-†-Diviner-†-Ex-Deo-†-Fallujah-†-Gatecreeper-†-God-Dethroned-†-Gorgoroth-†-Grand-Magus-†-Hyperion-†-Iced-Earth-†-Immolation-†-InnerWish-†-Inquisition-†-Iron-Savior-†-Jag-Panzer-†-Junius-†-Manimal-†-Manowar-†-Mantar-†-Mastodon-†-Mechina-†-Mgla-†-My-Dying-Bride-†-Mystic-Prophecy-†-Necrot-†-Nevermore-†-Night-Demon-†-Nokturnal-Mortem-†-Oak-Pantheon-†-Phrenelith-†-Pillorian-†-Powerwolf-†-Primal-Fear†-Primordial-†-Rotting-Christ-†-Samael-†-Shade-Empire-†-Sorcerer-†-Sulphur-Aeon-†-Sumerlands-†-Temple-of-Void-†-Thyrfing-†-Tribulation-†-Triptykon-†-UADA-†-Unleash-the-Archers-†-Visigoth-†-Vredehammer-†-Wiegedood-†-Wildernessking-†-Woe-†-Zhrine
  • Phoenix
    Lieutenant

by Phoenix » Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:36 am

crazemidgt wrote:A friend ended up getting a broken arm and cheek bone during Amon Amarth's last show in Calgary during a friendly mosh pit we started that turned violently aggressive. Some douchebag decided that it would be cool to suplex him and in turn he ended up missing the rest of the show and had a prolonged stay in the hospital.

I remember that. The greater Calgary Metal Community still owes that mother fucker for what he did to Kiltman.

General Zod wrote:I'm friendly with a band who recently bought on to a Blind Guardian tour. And while I can't speak to how they were selected to be the band who got the chance to buy on to the tour, I can say that BG was very cool to them. In fact, Hansi pulled their singer aside a few times during the tour and offered his advice on how she could better approach things as a front person. I always thought that was very cool, as he clearly had no need to do that other than to be a good guy.

That's so cool of him. That singer must have felt like a million bucks. Good Guy Hansi!

Survivor:
    Out for 2023
  • Decibel
    Oiler

by Decibel » Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:08 am

crazemidgt wrote:
    Phoenix wrote:70,000 Tons of Metal 2017, brought to you by the letter A!

That is a very good point. A friend ended up getting a broken arm and cheek bone during Amon Amarth's last show in Calgary during a friendly mosh pit we started that turned violently aggressive. Some douchebag decided that it would be cool to suplex him and in turn he ended up missing the rest of the show and had a prolonged stay in the hospital.
    I absolutely hate going to shows in North America because there are so many idiots who think it is appropriate to only have the intent to injure someone in the pit.

When we organized the stripper busses for Amon Amarth, upon arriving there was a girl being carried out on a stretcher, with what I heard was a broken neck during Skeletonwitch's set and then another leaving with a broken arm and head injury during AA's actual set. They definitely bring the rowdy fans from what I've experienced.
    With that said, that is why I love this boat and still continue to come for all the family that I get to see each year!
    acidbasement
    Chief Petty Officer

by acidbasement » Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:39 am

Yeah, the most violent pit I've ever seen was AA, for sure. Large people out to break limbs. Not cool.
    I'm only here to do two things: play the bagpipes and gargle sulphuric acid. Looks like we're almost out of acid.
  • Monmisreal
    Lieutenant

by Monmisreal » Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:14 am

Decibel wrote:When we organized the stripper busses for Amon Amarth, upon arriving there was a girl being carried out on a stretcher, with what I heard was a broken neck during Skeletonwitch's set and then another leaving with a broken arm and head injury during AA's actual set. They definitely bring the rowdy fans from what I've experienced.
    With that said, that is why I love this boat and still continue to come for all the family that I get to see each year!

It didn't help that I'm sure that show was TERRIBLY overbooked. We were on the second floor and looking down there wasn't room for a hair between people down there.

Think the worst shows I've been to were some of the local shows when I lived in New Orleans. Some of the NO bands just attract the most violent assholes out there. Here in Tampa coincidentally the most violent show was Eyehategod. Bunch of random suckerpunches and fights
    bodomdragon
    Sub-Lieutenant

by bodomdragon » Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:27 am

Monmisreal wrote:
    Decibel wrote:When we organized the stripper busses for Amon Amarth, upon arriving there was a girl being carried out on a stretcher, with what I heard was a broken neck during Skeletonwitch's set and then another leaving with a broken arm and head injury during AA's actual set. They definitely bring the rowdy fans from what I've experienced.

It didn't help that I'm sure that show was TERRIBLY overbooked. We were on the second floor and looking down there wasn't room for a hair between people down there.

Think the worst shows I've been to were some of the local shows when I lived in New Orleans. Some of the NO bands just attract the most violent assholes out there. Here in Tampa coincidentally the most violent show was Eyehategod. Bunch of random suckerpunches and fights

That was probably one of the worst, if not the worst, shows I've been to. The venue was indeed absolutely overcrowded, it was fucking insane - and not in a good way. My friends and I were also on the second floor and we couldn't move, or even talk to each other. We couldn't even watch the show properly. I can't even think how it felt down in the pit.
    Wishlist:
    Ad.Infinitum--Aephanemer--Alestorm--Anthriel--AVANTASIA--Axxis--
    Battle.Beast--Beast.in.Black--Belzebubs--Be'lakor--BEYOND.THE.BLACK--Borealis--BORKNAGAR--Brymir--Caligula's.Horse--CHAOSBAY--Countless.Skies--Crowne--Dimmu.Borgir--DGM--Distorted.Harmony--DragonForce--Dream.Theater--Eclipse.(Sweden)--ELECTRIC.CALLBOY--Ensiferum--Evergrey--FEUERSCHWANZ--Fractal.Gates--Freedom.Call--GAMMA.RAY--Haken--Hei'an--Helloween--In.Mourning--INSOMNIUM--Kamelot--Keep.Of.Kalessin--KISSIN'.DYNAMITE--MERCENARY--Moonsorrow--Ne.Obliviscaris--Orden.Ogan--Pretty.Maids--Powerglove--PYRAMAZE--SABATON--SEVENTH.WONDER--Shade.Empire--Skeletoon--SOEN--Subterranean.Masquerade--SYMPHONY.X--Tremonti--Trollfest--Unleash.The.Archers--VISIONS.OF.ATLANTIS--VOLA--Volbeat--VOYAGER--WIDEK--Wilderun--Wintersun

2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2023, 2024: Survivor

Unofficial 70K User Guide: https://70kguide.wordpress.com
  • Monmisreal
    Lieutenant

by Monmisreal » Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:33 am

bodomdragon wrote:That was probably one of the worst, if not the worst, shows I've been to. The venue was indeed absolutely overcrowded, it was fucking insane - and not in a good way. My friends and I were also on the second floor and we couldn't move, or even talk to each other. We couldn't even watch the show properly. I can't even think how it felt down in the pit.

Yea that one is definitely up there for us. It was soo damn crowded it wasn't worth the trouble to try and get a drink. Show felt like a fucking sauna
    General Zod
    Chief Petty Officer

by General Zod » Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:23 pm

The douchier folks tend to be younger and poorer. It seems highly unlikely that a significant number of them are going to pay a couple grand, take time off work and travel for a band that tours with great frequency. Plus, environment plays a role. The vibe of the boat seems to weed out those folks.
    Warphine
    Ensign

by Warphine » Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:50 pm

Monmisreal wrote:
    bodomdragon wrote:That was probably one of the worst, if not the worst, shows I've been to. The venue was indeed absolutely overcrowded, it was fucking insane - and not in a good way. My friends and I were also on the second floor and we couldn't move, or even talk to each other. We couldn't even watch the show properly. I can't even think how it felt down in the pit.

Yea that one is definitely up there for us. It was soo damn crowded it wasn't worth the trouble to try and get a drink. Show felt like a fucking sauna

I agree. I politely forced my way to a spot where I could barely watch Skeletonwitch and then got the fuck out of there and hung out outside with friends. I think the venue got away with overselling tickets because they had an extra back bar area (separate from the main hall where the show was) which gave them extra capacity even though hardly anybody was back there because we all wanted to watch the show.
    Survivor of 2012, BTH, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017

Aborted/Abysmal-Dawn/Abyssal/Ade/Adversarial/Aenaon/Aeon/Aeternam/Alkaloid/Antichrist/APMD/Archspire/Autopsy/Barren-Earth/Benighted/Beyond-Creation/Black-Breath/Blues-Pills/Bodyfarm/Bölzer/Byzantine/Carnal-Forge/Church-of-Misery/Condition-Critical/Condor/Craven-Idol/The-Crown/Cut-Up/Dark-Fortress/Darkest-Hour/Dark-Tranquillity/Dead-Congregation/Death-Breath/Deathhammer/Defeated-Sanity/Degial/Denner-Shermann/Deströyer-666/Deviant-Process/Diabolic-Night/Dew-Scented/Divinity/Division-Speed/Dyscarnate/Ensnared/Evil-Invaders/Execration/Firespawn/Foreseen/Funeral-Whore/Goatwhore/Gorod/Graveyard(Sweden-or-Spain)/Gruesome/Hail-of-Bullets/Haken/Harlott/Harm(Norway)/Hellbringer/Hooded-Menace/Hypocrisy/Igorrr/In-Twilight's-Embrace/Inanimate-Existence/Inculter/Inferi/Infestus/Insomnium/Jess-And-The-Ancient-Ones/King's-Evil/Kreator/Legion-of-the-Damned/Lich-King/Lvcifyre/Maat/Mammoth-Grinder/Man-Must-Die/Meshuggah/Mgla/Miasmal/Miseration/Mitochondrian/Mutoid-Man/Nader-Sadek/Nails/Ne-Obliviscaris/Necrophobic/Necrot/Negative-Plane/Nekrofilth/Nekromantheon/Nevermore/Nightbreed/Night-Flight-Orchestra/Nigredo/Nocturnal-Graves/Obliteration(Norway)/Obscura/Obscure-Infinity/Obsequiae/October-Tide/Onslaught/Opeth/Orator/Outre/Pallbearer/Persefone/Perversifier/Pestifer/Phrenelith/Power-Trip/Pro-Pain/Protector/Purson/Ranger/Ramming-Speed/Razor/Recueil-Morbide/Repugnant/Ripper/Scorched/Scythian/Septicflesh/Serpents-Lair/Shape-of-Despair/Shrine-of-Insanabilis/Skeletonwitch/Solipsist/Solution-.45/Sorcery/Soreption/Speedtrap/Speedwolf/Suffering-Hour/Sulphur-Aeon/Svart-Crown/Swallow-The-Sun/Swallowed/Sylosis/Take-Over-And-Destroy/Teethgrinder/Temple-of-Baal/Temple-of-Void/Terrifier/Thantifaxath/Thy-Darkened-Shade/Toxic-Holocaust/Tribulation/Triptykon/Triumvir-Foul/Turbid-North/Ulsect/Uncle-Acid/Unfathomable-Ruination/Vampire/Vastum/Vektor/Venefixion/Venenum/Vicious-Art/Vomitory/Vorum/Warbringer/Watain/Witchcraft/Witchery/Wolfheart/Year-of-the-Goat/Zhrine/ZOM

Green - Most Wanted | Red - Booked
    PacNW
    Crewman

by PacNW » Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:57 pm

acidbasement wrote:Yeah, the most violent pit I've ever seen was AA, for sure. Large people out to break limbs. Not cool.

I don't like going to huge shows anymore for this reason. I haven't been onbroad since 2012, but at that time people were well behaved towards each other and calm. Hopefully still the case, and hopefully people encourage each other to behave if people start to get too aggressive. I enjoy moshing, but I also try hard to minimize collateral damage to people who are trying to stay out of the pit.

Finally been making progress listening more to bands that will be on this year I was unfamiliar with. Dug Stam1na way more than I was expecting!
    2012, 2017 - 6223, 2018 - 6387
Post Reply 3265 posts