Post Reply 35 posts Page 1 of 1
11 shows in 70K 2017 (with apologies to bodomdragon)
    captaingabbeh
    Chief Petty Officer

11 shows in 70K 2017 (with apologies to bodomdragon)

by captaingabbeh » Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:53 pm

I had a blast filling this out last year, and nobody's brought it back this year, so I'll necro it:

Eleven shows in 70K 2017:

1. The best party you had this year. The show that made you lose your mind.
    Amorphis 1st set. Although I pretty much loved both to tiny bits.

2. The best performance.
    Going to give it to Avatarium for having both a great performance AND fantastic sound (because ice rink)

3. The most positive surprise.
    I hit up Stam1na on a whim and it was super fun. Also, no shirts on anyone.... can't lie, I appreciated it.

4. The biggest disappointment.
    As much as Kamelot put on a great show, I couldn't help but feel like I'd seen basically the whole thing before. They have a fantastic back catalogue that they left largely untouched with stage stunts, which I thought was really unfortunate.

5. Best female-fronted show.
    Therion, both times.

6. The best Cripper Award contender's show.
    I'm not sure we've settled on contenders yet lol. I'm going to vote Allegaeon, though I doubt they'll be in the final set of nominees. Worth staying up until Fuck You O'Clock for.

7. Which was your top band before the cruise, and how did it do?
    Amorphis, and I was really happy with both sets. Eclipse is one of my favorite albums, so getting to see the whole thing live was really special.

8, 9, 10. Gold, Silver and Bronze bands, counting both shows.
    Gold: Amorphis
    Silver: Pain
    Bronze: Avatarium

11. And other bands you couldn't put in the podium but still need to be mentioned (yeah, I know three is not enough)
    Haggard, Omnium Gatherum, Equilibrium (though their sound was pretty rough around the edges), Mors Principium Est, the three songs of Testament I saw, aaaaaaaaand Kalmah (even if they ran so late that I had to skip their first set to catch Pain)

2015-2018,
    Goth Cruise 2019

Wishlist: Myrath-Skindred-Rotting Christ-Amorphis-Hypocrisy-Demons & Wizards-3TEETH-Emperor-Psyclon Nine-Ihsahn-Batushka-Anaal Nathrakh-Epica-Aeternam-Nightwish-Starkill-Primordial-Zeal & Ardor-Powerwolf
    Gratch
    Chief Petty Officer

Re: 11 shows in 70K 2017 (with apologies to bodomdragon)

by Gratch » Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:16 pm

Anthrax's first set. They were my first metal show 27 years ago, and I hadn't seen them since. What an amazing experience.

2. The best performance.
    Probably Haggard in the theater. I wasn't too familiar with them coming in, and was completely blown away.

Trollfest was batshit crazy and a ton of fun.

Draconian's ice rink show. I own two Draconian albums (Turning Season Within and Sovran), and they didn't play a song off either. Heike (? the female singer) was frequently entirely off key as well, and the rest of the band just looked...bored.

Arch Enemy. I'm not a huge fan of their music, but Alissa is mesmerizing to watch.

Allegaeon, if they're eligible. Witchtrap, if not.

Amorphis. The pool deck show was absolutely amazing, the theater set not as much (I'm not a huge fan of the Eclipse album).

Silver: Anthrax
    Bronze: Haggard

11. And other bands you couldn't put in the podium but still need to be mentioned (yeah, I know three is not enough)
    Trollfest, Powerglove, Allegaeon, Witchtrap, Serenity
    Survivor 2016/17/18/19/20

Ultimate Wishlist Bands
    Anaal Nathrakh - Behemoth - Igorrr - Khemmis - Myrkur - The Ocean - Pallbearer - Sigh - Tribulation - Sentient Horror - Turisas - Wilderun - Witherscape - Zeal & Ardor
  • Phoenix
    Lieutenant

by Phoenix » Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:30 pm

Trollfest in the Ice Rink. The most riotous show I attended by far, had a great time.

2. The best performance.
    This is a hard call. I'll go with Amorphis's second set. Eclipse was really magical.

Saltatio Mortis. Lots of fun to attend.

Kamelot's pool deck set. So many songs, and they played at least six that were the same as their first set (I left after that, I was frustrated)

Dalriada. That woman has some PIPES.

If Allegaeon don't wind up being eligible, Ghost Ship Octavius.

Mors Principium Est. Minus some minor technical issues that weren't super noticeable from the front, they were everything I wanted out of them. Reclaim the Sun and Apprentice of Death solidly reminded me of why I love this band. Stained Class losing his shit when Andy fucked up (the one time) was also priceless.

Silver: Mors Principium Est
    Bronze: Scar Symmetry (if their first set was not all bass, they would take silver. Their Pyramid Lounge set was something special)

Kamelot for their first set (it was still great), Pain (WAY better than anticipated), Grave Digger

So far, Amorphis is walking away with best in show.

Survivor:
    Out for 2023
  • klons
    Chief Petty Officer

by klons » Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:07 pm

Allegaeon, lounge, every other person is going to say it.

2. The best performance.
    Kalmah on the pool deck.

Didn't catch anything overly new to me, so nothing comes to mind.

Scar Symmetry. Walked in, walked out.

Linnea from Therion during the ASJ. Only female fronted normal set I caught was Arch Enemy.

Striker on the pool deck. Hardly attended due to hour, but them coupled with a heart touching moment will keep it in memory for a long time.

Uhh, uhh... Powerglove. Loved it despite the 24 hour notice bass player pickup.

Gold: Kalmah
    Silver: Striker
    Bronze: Powerglove

Moonsorrow and Mors Principium Est.
    2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017 Survivor.
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:09 pm

Allegaeon, Pyramid. The energy in the crowd was amazing. It was fun to watch.

2. The best performance.
    Haggard, Alhambra Theater. They sounded great from where I was on the floor. Made up for the sound issues on the pool. Also, them going into the crowd to play the guitar during Herr Mannelig was amazing.

Pain. Not a big fan of the band but they put on one hell of a show.

Scar Symmetry to open the cruise. I was all amped up in cruise mode and it sounded like shit. Had to walk out.

Nightmare, Ice Rink. Magali Luyten has some pipes.

I'll say Allegaeon for now unless they get booted from the nominees.

Moonsorrow. They were very good both times. I enjoyed the Ice Rink show more.

Gold: Haggard (the pool set was disappointing because of the tech issues but the theater more than made up for it)
    Silver: Allegaeon (only made it to the one show but it was just that good)
    Bronze: Pain (never would have guessed that before the cruise)

In alphabetical order: Avatarium, Kalmah, Moonsorrow, Nightmare, Powerglove
    I should get around to updating my signature
  • Dumonster
    Wiper

by Dumonster » Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:28 pm

Gratch wrote:Eleven shows in 70K 2017:
    Draconian's ice rink show. I own two Draconian albums (Turning Season Within and Sovran), and they didn't play a song off either. Heike (? the female singer) was frequently entirely off key as well, and the rest of the band just looked...bored.

They played two completely different sets with the first one containing newer stuff (including Sovran) and the second containing only older stuff. Heike was not on the boat and was replaced by Lisa Cuthbert who has been playing with them live a bunch in the last year. Also, I'm pretty sure she was reading the lyrics off of papers on the stage floor as she was constantly going down to the floor and flipping them over between songs.
    Survivor: 70k 2017 - 70k 2020
    jdch28
    Crewman

by jdch28 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:00 pm

Allegaeon on Pyramid. That was crazy, intense and fun as hell. Honorable mention to Trollfest, I don't like them very much, but they sure put on a great party.

2. The best performance.
    Orphaned Land's pool deck performance had something really special about it (Maybe watching one of my favorite bands in front row, in the middle of the Caribbean has something to do with it).

Avatarium. Really loved both of their sets, the sound was great live. There's something mesmerizing about Jennie-Ann's voice.

The sound issues on Angra's second set. They still gave a killer performance, but it was the Holy Land set, it was supposed to be almost perfect :P

Nightmare on Ice Rink: They sounded great, and I was impressed by Maggy's voice.

I'm going for GSO. Loved their performance, loved the sound, loved the glow-in-the-dark shirt.

Orphaned Land. I love these guys. The only disappointment is that I was hoping for two different sets, but still had a blast on both. I even got one of their setlists signed by Uri and Chen :D

Gold: Orphaned Land
    Silver: Angra
    Bronze: Ghost Ship Octavius

In no specific order: Avatarium, Allegaeon, Nightmare, Death Angel, Kalmah, Stryker

2017 Survivor (9361)
    2018 Survivor (2618)
    2018 Booked (2332)
    Gratch
    Chief Petty Officer

by Gratch » Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:14 pm

Dumonster wrote:
    Gratch wrote:Eleven shows in 70K 2017:

They played two completely different sets with the first one containing newer stuff (including Sovran) and the second containing only older stuff. Heike was not on the boat and was replaced by Lisa Cuthbert who has been playing with them live a bunch in the last year. Also, I'm pretty sure she was reading the lyrics off of papers on the stage floor as she was constantly going down to the floor and flipping them over between songs.

Ah, that makes sense then. Thanks for the info.

I missed the first set, sounds like I would have enjoyed that one a lot more. Lisa seemed entirely lost, which makes sense if she wasn't as familiar with the songs.

Ultimate Wishlist Bands
    Anaal Nathrakh - Behemoth - Igorrr - Khemmis - Myrkur - The Ocean - Pallbearer - Sigh - Tribulation - Sentient Horror - Turisas - Wilderun - Witherscape - Zeal & Ardor
    Imminance
    Oiler

by Imminance » Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:53 pm

I missed the Allegaeon set in Pyramid, but I did see the Trollfest ice rink show. Absolutely loved being in that pit.

2. The best performance.
    Amorphis on the Pool Deck. I just started listening to them maybe a year ago and the temperature/level of intoxication/quality of set/many other things just made this set flood my brain with so much dopamine it probably leaked from my ears.

Pain was much louder/brutal than I expected. I listened to them a lot in highschool/early college but have fallen away in the last 5 or so years. Loved the mix of old and new music and sound quality was good.

Kamelot definitely wasn't what I expected. It wasn't bad but certainly didn't get me to rise out of my seat.

Nightmare on Ice Rink I will have to agree.

Probably the Dying Fetus ice rink show.

Scar Symmetry. First set was exciting but not really remarkable. I met a hot Canadian though, so that helped. The second set was magical because of the intimacy and the shear number of awesome friends I was with (I think the travelling metal posse was 7 of us large at that point with 4 countries represented).

Silver: Scar Symmetry
    Bronze: Trollfest

I enjoyed most shows I went to. The lineup this year was pretty new for me based on my usual tastes, so it was hard to straight out hate/dislike without context.
    Ecliptica
    Ensign

by Ecliptica » Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:00 pm

Fun idea!

Equilibrium's first set. I went absolutely fucking nuts during that show.

2. The best performance.
    Haggard in Alhambra easily. I don't think any other shows I saw on the boat I'd put in my all-time top 20. A bunch of really, really good performances but nothing special the way that show was.

Two here that I can't decide between. The first is Omnium Gatherum! I had a blast at their pool deck set, second most fun set on the boat IMO.

The second is Serenity. I liked Serenity before - had Codex Atlanticus in my top 15 albums last year but they were fantastic and probably the nicest people I spoke with on the boat (that I didn't know before). Fabio D'Amore, their bassist, was - in my opinion - the best vocalist on the entire ship. Dude has pipes.

The fact that I missed both Striker sets :-(

I didn't really see many "bad" sets, per se. Cruachan's first set was a bit of a disappointment because of the crowd - I got so much shit spilled on me from people in the pit so that soured that a bit (but the performance was fantastic).

Dalriada; only because I'm not counting Haggard as "female fronted"

I have no idea how we're defining this. I've been listening to Dalriada since 2008 so I don't want to count them here. I missed Striker, unfortunately. So I guess I have to vote Allegaeon. I only saw the Pyramid lounge set and it was pretty solid.

Haggard. Best live band I've ever seen. They did not disappoint. Though Orphaned Land was a close #2.

Gold: Haggard
    Silver: Serenity
    Bronze: Orphaned Land

Cruachan, Omnium Gatherum, and Kalmah are three bands that I wouldn't regularly listen to their recorded stuff (Cruachan I listened to a LOT like 10+ years ago), but they were *great*. Orden Ogan played another flawless set - they've been perfect every time I've seen them. And Amorphis' first set was the third most fun I had (and they're one of my all-time favorite bands but I missed the Eclipse set because that's the only album of theirs I really don't like).
    Last edited by Ecliptica on Sun Feb 12, 2017 2:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
    bodomdragon
    Sub-Lieutenant

by bodomdragon » Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:47 am

Glad you brought this back :)

Without any doubt, Allegaeon @ the Pyramid Lounge. Those who were there know.

2. The best performance.
    That should go to Kamelot, any of the two shows which were very similar. I ended up hating them because of the last 15 minutes of the show which are terrible, stopping the music and everything... but the rest of the show is simply perfect (bringing Alissa onstage is a necessary part of this perfection).

Certainly Pain at the Theater. I missed Kalmah because I was having so much fun there. Great show!!!

There's nothing this year I'd call a big disappointment, but certainly Kalmah was below my expectations. Bad sound and I didn't feel like going to their second set. Another minor disappointment would be Orden Ogan. Not that I didn't like their shows,which I did, but they need a singer who can perform much better than that on stage.

Nightmare at the Ice Rink. Not that I watched many fremale-fronted shows this year anyway.

As the contenders have not been 100% defined yet, I'll go for a safe bet: Striker.

Scar Symmetry. They kicked fucking ass. The first show could have sounded way better, but the second one has already become one of my top-3 moments on the boat ever. Here's what I wrote about it: I was on first row at the Pyramid set and I it was one of the best shows in my entire life. There was a sort of connection that I can't even explain with the guitar player, he came to me and hugged me at the end of the show, and thanked me for singing along every fucking song. All I could say was, dude, thanks to you guys for the killer show! I really, really enjoyed it.

Gold: Scar Symmetry
    Silver: Amorphis
    Bronze: Kamelot

Omnium Gatherum (great attitude, great setlists both times, too bad they played THAT late and I was almost dead), Mors Principium Est, Powerglove (it was real fun to see these guys), Therion (good job as usual), Pain (hell, that was a surprise), Annihilator (only caught one show but it kicked ass), Axxis (they are incredibly fun live), Moonsorrow (always great sound live)
    Last edited by bodomdragon on Sat Feb 11, 2017 6:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
    Wishlist:
    Ad.Infinitum--Aephanemer--Alestorm--Anthriel--AVANTASIA--Axxis--
    Battle.Beast--Beast.in.Black--Belzebubs--Be'lakor--BEYOND.THE.BLACK--Borealis--BORKNAGAR--Brymir--Caligula's.Horse--CHAOSBAY--Countless.Skies--Crowne--Dimmu.Borgir--DGM--Distorted.Harmony--DragonForce--Dream.Theater--Eclipse.(Sweden)--ELECTRIC.CALLBOY--Ensiferum--Evergrey--FEUERSCHWANZ--Fractal.Gates--Freedom.Call--GAMMA.RAY--Haken--Hei'an--Helloween--In.Mourning--INSOMNIUM--Kamelot--Keep.Of.Kalessin--KISSIN'.DYNAMITE--MERCENARY--Moonsorrow--Ne.Obliviscaris--Orden.Ogan--Pretty.Maids--Powerglove--PYRAMAZE--SABATON--SEVENTH.WONDER--Shade.Empire--Skeletoon--SOEN--Subterranean.Masquerade--SYMPHONY.X--Tremonti--Trollfest--Unleash.The.Archers--VISIONS.OF.ATLANTIS--VOLA--Volbeat--VOYAGER--WIDEK--Wilderun--Wintersun

2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2023, 2024: Survivor

Unofficial 70K User Guide: https://70kguide.wordpress.com
    bodomdragon
    Sub-Lieutenant

by bodomdragon » Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:59 am

Imminance wrote:6. The best Cripper Award contender's show.
    Probably the Dying Fetus ice rink show.

Hardly a Cripper Award band :D
    Wishlist:
    Battle.Beast--Beast.in.Black--Belzebubs--Be'lakor--BEYOND.THE.BLACK--Borealis--BORKNAGAR--Brymir--Caligula's.Horse--CHAOSBAY--Countless.Skies--Crowne--Dimmu.Borgir--DGM--Distorted.Harmony--DragonForce--Dream.Theater--Eclipse.(Sweden)--ELECTRIC.CALLBOY--Ensiferum--Evergrey--FEUERSCHWANZ--Fractal.Gates--Freedom.Call--GAMMA.RAY--Haken--Hei'an--Helloween--In.Mourning--INSOMNIUM--Kamelot--Keep.Of.Kalessin--KISSIN'.DYNAMITE--MERCENARY--Moonsorrow--Ne.Obliviscaris--Orden.Ogan--Pretty.Maids--Powerglove--PYRAMAZE--SABATON--SEVENTH.WONDER--Shade.Empire--Skeletoon--SOEN--Subterranean.Masquerade--SYMPHONY.X--Tremonti--Trollfest--Unleash.The.Archers--VISIONS.OF.ATLANTIS--VOLA--Volbeat--VOYAGER--WIDEK--Wilderun--Wintersun

• CFH
    Crewman

by CFH » Fri Feb 10, 2017 4:54 am

Death Angel at ice rink. Really bad ass show. Probably would have said Trollfest otherwise, but I had to leave after the third song because there was an overlap.

2. The best performance.
    Carcass at the pool deck. I did apparently attend their first show as well, but couple of tequila shots that I was offered shortly before that were kind of the final nails to the coffin for that day.

I've always considered Amaranthe way too cheesy for my liking, but got to admit that they sounded really good on the pool deck.

Cryptopsy. I was half awake during the show and man, did the singer even try to sing the lyrics, or was he just shouting random noises as they went along? Xandria was also kind of meh and even though Arch Enemy put up a great show, it confirmed me that I have kind of lost interest in their music for some reason.

Avatarium. I'm not a doom fan at all, but gave these guys a chance before the cruise and couple of their songs really stuck with me so I ended up attending their ice rink show. It was a perfect way to calm down and relax in the middle of all the beer drinking and hell raising.

Avatarium, if they're eligible? The smaller bands didn't really do much for me this year, so I ended up skipping them mostly. Saw glimpses of Saltiato Mortis pool deck show though, and it looked like everyone was having a great time.

Devildriver. Saw both sets, the first one from the front rows and the second one from further back (Chuck Billy was standing in front of us, smoking a big fat cigar during that one). They did well but got to say that I was a bit bummed to see that they performed pretty much the same set list both times. Also met Dez in day two and got a picture with him. Cool guy.

Gold: Death Angel
    Silver: Carcass
    Bronze: Mors Principium Est

Stam1na, Devildriver, Dying Fetus, Demolition Hammer and Pain.
    General Zod
    Chief Petty Officer

by General Zod » Fri Feb 10, 2017 6:41 am

Anthrax, Pool Deck

2. The best performance.

Amorphis, Pool Deck

Carcass, Pool Deck

Marduk, Ice Rink. No atmosphere, no stage presence, poor song selection.

I also need to note the All-Star jam here. Aside from Mark stealing the show with his impromptu performance of "Hells Bells", the show was mostly a disaster. First, can we pick better songs? Songs most people actually know? Def Leppard's "Wasted", AC/DC's "Riff Raff", Judas Priest's "Grinder"? I know these songs because I'm a child of the 80s, but based on the crowd's reaction, most didn't. The three songs performed by Elize and Lisa were just a shit-show. Lisa didn't know any of the words, even to some of the biggest metal classics of all-time, and Elize singing Motorhead's "Killed by Death" in her sugary pop vocals was just absurd.

Nightmare. As much as I enjoyed Avatarium, I simply prefer Magy's pipes.

Allegaeon, Pyramid.

Amorphis. Exceeded expectations.

Silver: Anthrax
    Bronze: Carcass

Avatarium, Striker, Death Angel, Testament.
    ***WISH-LIST***Accept-†-Aether-Realm-†-Ajattara-†-Almanac-†-Amon-Amarth-†-Antropomorphia-†-Anubis-Gate-†-Ashes-of-Ares-†-Aska-†-Asphyx-†-Bastard-Sapling-†-Be'lakor-†-Behemoth-†-Below-†-Binary-Creed-†-Blind-Guardian-†-Blood-Red-Throne-†-Brainstorm-†-Brothers-of-Metal-†-Craven-Idol-†-Cult-of-Luna-†-Dark-Tranquillity-†-Darkest-Era-†-Deafheaven-†-Demons-&-Wizards-†-Diviner-†-Ex-Deo-†-Fallujah-†-Gatecreeper-†-God-Dethroned-†-Gorgoroth-†-Grand-Magus-†-Hyperion-†-Iced-Earth-†-Immolation-†-InnerWish-†-Inquisition-†-Iron-Savior-†-Jag-Panzer-†-Junius-†-Manimal-†-Manowar-†-Mantar-†-Mastodon-†-Mechina-†-Mgla-†-My-Dying-Bride-†-Mystic-Prophecy-†-Necrot-†-Nevermore-†-Night-Demon-†-Nokturnal-Mortem-†-Oak-Pantheon-†-Phrenelith-†-Pillorian-†-Powerwolf-†-Primal-Fear†-Primordial-†-Rotting-Christ-†-Samael-†-Shade-Empire-†-Sorcerer-†-Sulphur-Aeon-†-Sumerlands-†-Temple-of-Void-†-Thyrfing-†-Tribulation-†-Triptykon-†-UADA-†-Unleash-the-Archers-†-Visigoth-†-Vredehammer-†-Wiegedood-†-Wildernessking-†-Woe-†-Zhrine
    bodomdragon
    Sub-Lieutenant

by bodomdragon » Fri Feb 10, 2017 6:44 am

General Zod wrote:I also need to note the All-Star jam here. Aside from Mark stealing the show with his impromptu performance of "Hells Bells", the show was mostly a disaster. First, can we pick better songs? Songs most people actually know? Def Leppard's "Wasted", AC/DC's "Riff Raff", Judas Priest's "Grinder"? I know these songs because I'm a child of the 80s, but based on the crowd's reaction, most didn't. The three songs performed by Elize and Lisa were just a shit-show. Lisa didn't know any of the words, even to some of the biggest metal classics of all-time, and Elize singing Motorhead's "Killed by Death" in her sugary pop vocals was just absurd.

For the first time in my personal 70k history, I didn't visit the all-star jam. When I saw the songs they were going to play, that was sooo underwhelming, I lost all interest. I hope next year they take a different approach with songs we all know and respect.
    Wishlist:

• deathmetalpat
    Ensign

by deathmetalpat » Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:12 am

General Zod wrote:

Marduk, Ice Rink. No atmosphere, no stage presence, poor song selection.

To be fair they where performing an entire album "Heaven Shall Burn...When We Are gathered " and it seems like half the audience up front on Morgan's side where Black Metal Trolls.As in people who just went to the show to be assholes ,the dude waving around the dido and others aren't exactly what Marduk would want to look at in the audience.
    2012-14 Survivor
    2015-16 Abandoned Ship
    2017 Returned
    2018 Got a bad feeling about this Abandon Ship
    2019 This is Fucking Ridiculous
    2020 Bands ,what bands boat is all that matters
    2021 Yeah this isn’t happening
    jdch28
    Crewman

by jdch28 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:15 am

CFH wrote:3. The most positive surprise.
    I've always considered Amaranthe way too cheesy for my liking, but got to admit that they sounded really good on the pool deck.

+1 to this. They sounded pretty good, but I still can't listen to their albums :lol:

2017 Survivor (9361)
    2018 Survivor (2618)
    2018 Booked (2332)
    metalmaciejmetal
    Chief Petty Officer

by metalmaciejmetal » Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:15 am

Good call Captain. I was wondering if this is coming back.

Eleven shows in 70K 2017, here we go....

I would probably say Axxis, the first set. I had no idea what to expect out of this. Such great energy. Lots of fun

2. The best performance.
    Maybe Grave Digger inn the pool deck

Draconian. A dude I was drinking with was raving about Draconian so I decided to join. I had nothing else to do at the time. My concern was that a slower tempo doom band might put me out like Katatonia did last year. Not the case. Really good show.

Amorphis maybe. I like their music, ive never seen them live before then. They just don't do a whole lot for me. I didn't find the show as fun as it could have been.

Amaranthe, I suppose. They turned out to be a lot of fun. Im considering going to their show when they hit up Toronto. They are the best pop band ive ever seen.

Ghost ship otto octavius. Probably because that's the only cripper band I saw.

Death Angel. They did amazing as expected. Great song selection. Then again I don't recall if they played tight or what because I was in the mosh pit throughout both 45 minute sets.

Gold: Grave Digger
    Silver: Marduk
    Bronze: Angra

11. And other bands you couldn't put in the podium but still need to be mentioned (yeah, I know three is not enough) Orphaned Land, Anthrax, Axxis
    Survivor 2016 and 2017
    bodomdragon
    Sub-Lieutenant

by bodomdragon » Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:21 am

metalmaciejmetal wrote:1. The best party you had this year. The show that made you lose your mind.
    I would probably say Axxis, the first set. I had no idea what to expect out of this. Such great energy. Lots of fun

Hell yeah!! Axxis always means a lot of fun live. Love them.
    Wishlist:

metalmaciejmetal
    Chief Petty Officer

by metalmaciejmetal » Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:29 am

General Zod wrote:Marduk, Ice Rink. No atmosphere, no stage presence, poor song selection.

you may be on to something. I'm getting bored of this playing an entire album thing. It was cool back when Megadeth did rust in peace (one of the best metal albums ever recorded) but now bands seem to be doing that for random albums. I never thought of Heaven shall burn as that much of an outstanding album. But at least Marduk threw in two additional songs to break things up. That's the problem I had with the current Mayhem tour.
    Survivor 2016 and 2017
    General Zod
    Chief Petty Officer

by General Zod » Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:30 am

deathmetalpat wrote:To be fair they where performing an entire album "Heaven Shall Burn...When We Are gathered " and it seems like half the audience up front on Morgan's side where Black Metal Trolls.As in people who just went to the show to be assholes ,the dude waving around the dido and others aren't exactly what Marduk would want to look at in the audience.

Well, that would explain why I didn't care for the song selection. I'm unfamiliar with early Marduk and can only assume it's from a rawer period. And to your second point, the crowd was in an odd mood. That said, the band did little to bring the material alive.
    ***WISH-LIST***Accept-†-Aether-Realm-†-Ajattara-†-Almanac-†-Amon-Amarth-†-Antropomorphia-†-Anubis-Gate-†-Ashes-of-Ares-†-Aska-†-Asphyx-†-Bastard-Sapling-†-Be'lakor-†-Behemoth-†-Below-†-Binary-Creed-†-Blind-Guardian-†-Blood-Red-Throne-†-Brainstorm-†-Brothers-of-Metal-†-Craven-Idol-†-Cult-of-Luna-†-Dark-Tranquillity-†-Darkest-Era-†-Deafheaven-†-Demons-&-Wizards-†-Diviner-†-Ex-Deo-†-Fallujah-†-Gatecreeper-†-God-Dethroned-†-Gorgoroth-†-Grand-Magus-†-Hyperion-†-Iced-Earth-†-Immolation-†-InnerWish-†-Inquisition-†-Iron-Savior-†-Jag-Panzer-†-Junius-†-Manimal-†-Manowar-†-Mantar-†-Mastodon-†-Mechina-†-Mgla-†-My-Dying-Bride-†-Mystic-Prophecy-†-Necrot-†-Nevermore-†-Night-Demon-†-Nokturnal-Mortem-†-Oak-Pantheon-†-Phrenelith-†-Pillorian-†-Powerwolf-†-Primal-Fear†-Primordial-†-Rotting-Christ-†-Samael-†-Shade-Empire-†-Sorcerer-†-Sulphur-Aeon-†-Sumerlands-†-Temple-of-Void-†-Thyrfing-†-Tribulation-†-Triptykon-†-UADA-†-Unleash-the-Archers-†-Visigoth-†-Vredehammer-†-Wiegedood-†-Wildernessking-†-Woe-†-Zhrine
  • deathmetalpat
    Ensign

by deathmetalpat » Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:58 am

bodomdragon wrote:
    metalmaciejmetal wrote:1. The best party you had this year. The show that made you lose your mind.

I had no idea who these guys where before the announcement and made up their setlist to be familiar.They where totally awesome,not that I listen to them much afterwards but I recommend them to some metal fans who like classic or older stuff.I went to their first show and was blown away.The guitarist is great technical player,the singer high energy and James May on keyboards is great :lol: ,went to early pool show on Sunday and great start to the last day.
    2012-14 Survivor
    2015-16 Abandoned Ship
    2017 Returned
    2018 Got a bad feeling about this Abandon Ship
    2019 This is Fucking Ridiculous
    2020 Bands ,what bands boat is all that matters
    2021 Yeah this isn’t happening
    metalmaciejmetal
    Chief Petty Officer

by metalmaciejmetal » Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:25 am

deathmetalpat wrote:
    bodomdragon wrote:

I had no idea who these guys where before the announcement and made up their setlist to be familiar.They where totally awesome,not that I listen to them much afterwards but I recommend them to some metal fans who like classic or older stuff.I went to their first show and was blown away.The guitarist is great technical player,the singer high energy and James May on keyboards is great :lol: ,went to early pool show on Sunday and great start to the last day.

Their keyboardist isn't as much James May as he is Sideshow Bob. The band are great dudes too. I had a beer with them along with a discussion on the state of power metal in America. Interesting insight.
    Survivor 2016 and 2017
    Gratch
    Chief Petty Officer

by Gratch » Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:41 am

bodomdragon wrote:
    General Zod wrote:I also need to note the All-Star jam here. Aside from Mark stealing the show with his impromptu performance of "Hells Bells", the show was mostly a disaster. First, can we pick better songs? Songs most people actually know? Def Leppard's "Wasted", AC/DC's "Riff Raff", Judas Priest's "Grinder"? I know these songs because I'm a child of the 80s, but based on the crowd's reaction, most didn't. The three songs performed by Elize and Lisa were just a shit-show. Lisa didn't know any of the words, even to some of the biggest metal classics of all-time, and Elize singing Motorhead's "Killed by Death" in her sugary pop vocals was just absurd.

For the first time in my personal 70k history, I didn't visit the all-star jam. When I saw the songs they were going to play, that was sooo underwhelming, I lost all interest. I hope next year they take a different approach with songs we all know and respect.

Yup, my group skipped it as well. I like the idea of it, but they really need to pick better songs.

Ultimate Wishlist Bands
    bodomdragon
    Sub-Lieutenant

by bodomdragon » Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:56 pm

metalmaciejmetal wrote:
    deathmetalpat wrote:I had no idea who these guys where before the announcement and made up their setlist to be familiar.They where totally awesome,not that I listen to them much afterwards but I recommend them to some metal fans who like classic or older stuff.I went to their first show and was blown away.The guitarist is great technical player,the singer high energy and James May on keyboards is great :lol: ,went to early pool show on Sunday and great start to the last day.

Their keyboardist isn't as much James May as he is Sideshow Bob. The band are great dudes too. I had a beer with them along with a discussion on the state of power metal in America. Interesting insight.

OK, so I guess I'm the only one who thought he was quite similar to Fabio Lione :D
    Wishlist:

• Iconix
    Crewman

by Iconix » Fri Feb 10, 2017 4:03 pm

Allegaeon in the lounge cannot be mentioned enough. That show was INSANE

2. The best performance.
    I thought Amorphis' set on the pool deck was amazing

Saltatio Mortis by a mile. I know (now) they've been around a while but I'd never heard of them before the cruise, stopped to check out their first set on a whim, stayed for the whole thing, saw their impromptu acoustic performance later, ran into several of the guys around the ship and at other shows and told them how impressed we'd been by that first show, and they were all super nice and humble and just super happy to be there.

Arch Enemy seemed to have a lot of sound issues in their theater set which made it harder to enjoy

Honestly the only one that I saw more than a partial set for this year was Arch Enemy. Not by any conscious decision to avoid them, just the way the show order fell this year. I caught pieces of both Avatarium and Dalriada sets and liked them both too.

Again, even though they've been around a while, I never knew about them before, so Saltatio Mortis would take this for me personally. Out of the 6 that were the 'announced' candidates before the cruise, the only one I saw a lot of was Dalriada

Tie between Amorphis and Mors Principium Est. For Amorphis I loved both their sets. Eclipse isn't one of my top albums for them, but they put a ton of energy into that show. Mors Principium Est I've never been able to see live despite being a fan for a LONG time so I was really looking forward to seeing them and they killed it both times

Gold: Mors Principium Est
    Silver: Amorphis
    Bronze: Saltatio Mortis

11. And other bands you couldn't put in the podium but still need to be mentioned
    Allegaeon (because that lounge set), Scar Symmetry (also because that lounge set), Anthrax, Omnium Gatherum, Moonsorrow
    70k Survivor:
    2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2023, 2024

Wishlist: (ON!, last year, repeats, still hoping)

Aeternam-AlienWeaponry-AllShallPerish-Allegaeon-AMONAMARTH-Amorphis-Anciients-AndyGillion-ArchEnemy-AtTheGates-BE'LAKOR-Belzebubs-BeyondCreation-TheBlackDahliaMurder-BlackCrownInitiate-Blackguard-BloodStainChild-BORKNAGAR-Carcass-Chimaira-CountlessSkies-DarkAge-Darkane-DarkLunacy-DarkTranquillity-Devildriver-Diablo-DimensionZero-DimmuBorgir-DisarmoniaMundi-Eluveitie-Ensiferum-Equilibrium-EternalTearsOfSorrow-FearFactory-Finntroll-FleshgodApocalypse-GOJIRA-Gyze-TheHaloEffect-TheHaunted-Helleborus-Ihsahn-InFlames-InMourning-Insomnium-IntoEternity-InVain-Kalmah-Katatonia-KingOfAsgard-LacunaCoil-LambOfGod-Manegarm-Mastodon-Mercenary-Miseration-Moonsorrow-Moonspell-MorsPrincipiumEst-NeObliviscaris-Nightrage-Obscura-TheOcean-OceansOfSlumber-OctoberTide-OmniumGatherum-OPETH-Ouroboros-Persefone-PainConfessor-Raunchy-RiversOfNihil-RottingChrist-SaltatioMortis-ScarSymmetry-ShadowsFall-Shylmagoghnar-Skeletonwitch-Skyfire-Slipknot-Soen-Soilwork-Solution.45-Stam1na-Susperia-SvartCrown-SwallowTheSun-Sylosis-Testament-ThreatSignal-Trivium-Turisas-Tyr-Unearth-UnleashTheArchers-Whitechapel-WhiteVoid-Wilderun-Wintersun-Wolfheart

\m/ >_< \m/
    capacitator51
    Oiler

by capacitator51 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 4:31 pm

So many options, but the combination of dancing crabs and crowdsurfers trying to repair the ceiling during Allegaeon's lounge set definitely wins out. The Canadian guy standing beside me losing his shit over the Rush cover was pretty amusing, too.

2. The best performance.
    Månegarm's theater set was magic. The acoustic bits and the faster folksy parts were beautiful for different reasons, and the members were engaging the whole time.

Moonsorrow. I expected to attend their sets and enjoy them, but I was just blown away by the impact of their live sound. It's ferocious and haunting at the same time.

I didn't enjoy Ghost Ship Octavius' lounge set at all...I like their music, but the sound just wasn't there for me. Could have been more technical issues than anything else.

Avatarium; somehow they managed to sound the best I've ever heard a band sound in the lounge. The intensity of the performance was just incredibly profound.

See #5.

Carcass, and they were fantastic as usual. Such a combination of nostalgia and excitement during their nighttime pool deck set.

Gold: Moonsorrow
    Silver: Cruachan (I have never gotten to participate in russian jigs, conga lines and river dance at a metal show)
    Bronze: Månegarm

11. And other bands you couldn't put in the podium but still need to be mentioned
    Avatarium, Omnium Gatherum, Saltatio Mortis, Vreid, Orden Ogan and Powerglove
    -|-Barren Earth-Behemoth-Devin.Townsend-Dimmu.Borgir-Enslaved-Harakiri.For.The.Sky-Hypocrisy-Ihsahn-Inquisition-Insomnium-In Vain-Kvelertak-Leprous-NeO-Oak.Pantheon-Rotting Christ-Septicflesh-Soen-Swallow.the.Sun-|-
  • Monmisreal
    Lieutenant

by Monmisreal » Sat Feb 11, 2017 8:04 am

Allegaeon Pyramid Set

2. The best performance.
    Id have to go with either Allegaeon again or Pain from the shows I saw this year.

Demolition Hammer. I know a lot of people said they were good live but I wasnt sure if they would live up to the hype. God damn those two older guys can thrash harder, faster, and more insane than a lot of the younger guys that are just starting now.

Alhambra in general but if I had to really pick...Kamelot's set. I have enjoyed every single Kamelot show ive ever been to but that set was rough. The band still gave it their all so outside of the sound issues it was a normal Kamelot show.

NIghtmare. I missed both sets last time they were on the boat and when they played one of the eurofest we went to so I really wanted to try and catch one. DIdnt know they changed vocalists before they were announced but the Ice Rink set was awesome.

Id have to go with Allegaeon if they are still in the running. Only caught a few of them this year but Allegaeons Pyramid set was just a blast. Cheers to all of the crowd surfers that continually repaired the ceiling :lol:

Top band in terms of really wanting to see was a tie between Mors and Pain. Both did two absolutely great shows. Id have to give it to Mors on this one because who knows when I can see them again. Im seeing Pain at PPUSA so I will have sky high hopes for that set after 70k.

Gold: Mors
    Silver: Demolition Hammer
    Bronze: Death Angel - Nothing stops these guys from just giving it 150% at every single show.

Stoked to see Avatarium live. Her voice was just amazing, but her stage dancing is a little offputting :lol: Steph said she was doing the Elaine dance from Seinfeld and I didnt see it until she showed me the youtube.
  • alex_canada
    Ensign

by alex_canada » Sat Feb 11, 2017 12:45 pm

Hmm. I would say probably Anthrax pooldeck for the rowdiest hot tub (they made us stop crowdsurfing after that set), but I didn't pay attention to a single song. The best party that I actually paid attention to was Arch Enemy pooldeck. Not my favorite band, but good movement in the crowd.

2. The best performance.
    Going to give it to Avatarium for having both a great performance AND fantastic sound (because ice rink)

There was lots of bands that I expected to be good and were (Manegarm, Orden Ogan, etc), but I didn't know anything about Avatarium. I listened to a couple songs before and it didn't grab me, but man was their ice rink set ever amazing. Such a soothing voice and great stage presence. And I forgot, SALTATIO MORTIS. My brother in law ranted about them and I thought they sounded super dull on cd (and still do), but man do they put on a great show. The frontman is incredibly friendly as well, whether it's at kareoke or at the dinner table.

Scar Symmetry ice rink. I didn't like the setlist, the sound was bad, and everything I heard led me to believe their stage presence was better than that. It wasn't BAD, but I wanted to love them and didn't. Equilibrium also - loooooove Sagas but it's mostly instrument kareoke, low stage presence, and another bad setlist. The crowd really only brought it for blut im auge.

Oh, and Draconian! Actually like the newer stuff, but the concert was sooo dull.

Impossible. Avatarium, Arch Enemy, and Therion were amazing. I like some Xandria on cd but wasn't feeling their set.

Saw Allegaeon pooldeck and didn't see what all the fuss was about. Hate to be a broken record but I'll say Avatarium.

Manegarm. I own a lot of their stuff and never thought they'd be announced. Perfect cherry on top. Unfortunately the pyramid is the pyramid, and on their alahambra set I was sick and had to stay sitting. I wish so much I could have mustered it up and been up front singing along but it was worth it to feel sick in the dark and just watch their set.

I think literally the only bands I saw twice were Therion, Arch Enemy, Amorphis, Saltatio.
    3 Inches of Blood, Amon Amarth, Andrew WK, Be'lakor, Blind Guardian, Ne Obliviscaris, Nightwish, Unleash the Archers, Wuthering Heights
  • alex_canada
    Ensign

by alex_canada » Sat Feb 11, 2017 12:46 pm

Hmm. I would say probably Anthrax pooldeck for the rowdiest hot tub (they made us stop crowdsurfing after that set), but I didn't pay attention to a single song. The best party that I actually paid attention to was Arch Enemy pooldeck. Not my favorite band, but good movement in the crowd.

2. The best performance.

There was lots of bands that I expected to be good and were (Manegarm, Orden Ogan, etc), but I didn't know anything about Avatarium. I listened to a couple songs before and it didn't grab me, but man was their ice rink set ever amazing. Such a soothing voice and great stage presence. And I forgot, SALTATIO MORTIS. My brother in law ranted about them and I thought they sounded super dull on cd (and still do), but man do they put on a great show. The frontman is incredibly friendly as well, whether it's at kareoke or at the dinner table.

Scar Symmetry ice rink. I didn't like the setlist, the sound was bad, and everything I heard led me to believe their stage presence was better than that. It wasn't BAD, but I wanted to love them and didn't. Equilibrium also - loooooove Sagas but it's mostly instrument kareoke, low stage presence, and another bad setlist. The crowd really only brought it for blut im auge.

Oh, and Draconian! Actually like the newer stuff, but the concert was sooo dull.

Impossible. Avatarium, Arch Enemy, and Therion were amazing. I like some Xandria on cd but wasn't feeling their set.

Saw Allegaeon pooldeck and didn't see what all the fuss was about. Hate to be a broken record but I'll say Avatarium.

Manegarm. I own a lot of their stuff and never thought they'd be announced. Perfect cherry on top. Unfortunately the pyramid is the pyramid, and on their alahambra set I was sick and had to stay sitting. I wish so much I could have mustered it up and been up front singing along but it was worth it to feel sick in the dark and just watch their set.

I think literally the only bands I saw twice were Therion, Arch Enemy, Amorphis, Saltatio.
    3 Inches of Blood, Amon Amarth, Andrew WK, Be'lakor, Blind Guardian, Ne Obliviscaris, Nightwish, Unleash the Archers, Wuthering Heights
  • MaidenNewJersey
    Wiper

by MaidenNewJersey » Sat Feb 11, 2017 1:43 pm

Ooh I'll play (and this is my first post so howdy forum!)

Cryptopsy 2nd set Ice Rink) - I had not heard a single note of Cryptopsy before this cruise, and somehow made it to their 1:30am set...where they proceeded to LAY WASTE TO EVERYTHING IN SIGHT. Also, the pit took up the entire ice rink floor and was one of the most insane things I've ever seen. Runner-up: Moonsorrow 1st set (because they opened with my favorite song, "Tyven > Sankarihauta" which I predicted on the cab ride over to the port terminal) :shred:

2. The best performance.
    Amorphis 1st set (Pool Deck) - a band I was very excited for, mostly because I was familiar with only their earlier melodic death metal material. Well we got a killer spot stage left right up close, and wow did they BLOW ME THE FUCK AWAY. I've been scrambling to find all the rest of their albums on vinyl since I've been back. So. Damned. Good.

Unleashed - how could one of the legendary old-school Swedish death metal bands be a surprise? Because I shamefully never really gave them a chance back in the day. I caught their Pool Deck (2nd set) instead of the All-Star Jam and man, did I come out on the winning end of that decision. One of my top 5 sets of the cruise, and they utterly CRUSHED the place.

Over Kill - somehow a guy from New Jersey (me) has only managed to see 1/2 an Over Kill show in his entire life, so I was **really** looking forward to them. I got a good spot for the Pool Deck set (their 2nd I believe), and....meh. Set list was excellent, but the sound was REALLY bad and the crowd just didn't seem into it. Bummer. But they can't all be A+ shows! Runner-up: All-Star Jam - my god that was awful.

Avatarium 1st set (ice rink), and it wasn't even close IMO. Lead singer Jennie-Anne Smith has PIPES, and an oddly appealing stage presence.

Witchtrap!!! :metalguy: (specifically their 2nd set)

Moonsorrow - they did mighty fine, mighty fine indeed (though I admittedly would kill for them to have had a Pool Deck set)

Silver: Moonsorrow
    Bronze: Anthrax

Avatarium, Carcass, Manegarm, Testament, Death Angel, Unleashed, Demolition Hammer, Witchtrap, Angra, Vreid, Einherjer, so many more. Bring on 2018!
    2017 - 8368

CDs/LPs for sale: www.discogs.com/seller/NotOneStraw/profile
    Instagram: not.one.straw
    Razor Ramon
    Midshipman

by Razor Ramon » Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:51 pm

I never lost my mind.

2. The best performance.
    Draconian, I love them so much!

Misery Loves Co. were even better than I thought they would be.

The sound in the theater for Therion and Orphaned Land, sound in the ice rink for Marduk.

Draconian

I have no idea who the cripper bands are... Is Allegaeon cripper? If not Dalriada

Draconian, they were awesome.

Gold: Draconian
    Silver: Haggard
    Bronze: Therion

Kalmah, Mors Principum Est, Xandria, Omnium Gatherum were all excellent.
    70000 Tons 2019
    Wishlist:Anneke-Van-Geirsbergen-VUUR-/-Battlelore-/-Borknagar-/-My-Dying-Bride-/-Draconian-/-Harakiri-For-The-Sky-/-The-Gathering-/-Anathema-/-Within-Temptation-/-Novembre-/-Katatonia-/-Lacuna-Coil-/-Rainover-/-Moonspell-/-Funeral-/-Isole/-Nightwish-/-Riverside-/-The-Crown-/-Autumnal-/-Aeonian-Sorrow-/-Throes-Of-Dawn-/-Thurisaz-/-Daylight-Dies-/-Shape-Of-Despair-/-Arcturus-/-Be'lakor-/-Ereb-Altor-/-Evocation-/-Tyranny-/-Sulphur-Aeon-/-Ajattara-/-Sojourner-/-Oceans-Of-Slumber-/-Lik-/-Thyrfing-/-In-The-Woods-/-Skepticism-/-Heaven-Shall-Burn-/-Darkwell-/-Vetrar-Draugurinn-/-Therion-/-Haggard-/-Draconian-/-Bloodred-Hourglass-/-Bowel-Fuck-/-Batushka-/-Mork-/-Devour-The-Fetus-/-Perturbator-/-Carpenter-Brut-/-Hallatar-/-Infiltration-/-Myrkur-/-Before-The-Dawn-/-Letters-From-The-Colony-/-Demonical-/-Helevorn-/-Viscera-Infest-/-Wormrot-/-And-Oceans
    My musical taste:http://www.last.fm/user/Anthony3
    TPH
    Chief Petty Officer

by TPH » Sun Feb 12, 2017 5:02 pm

I hurt my leg a few months ago and it's still not fully healed, so I wasn't able to lose my mind and go into the pit this year :cry:
    If I was able to, probably Demolition Hammer's second set.

2. The best performance.
    Death Angel's first show in the ice rink. They fucking killed EVERYTHING.

Liking the second show of Anthrax as much as I did. I love their music, but I've never liked Belladonna's vocals, and the first/last time I saw Anthrax with him was a disaster. But on the second show, there was so much energy and the band was so on fire, I couldn't help but enjoying myself way more than I thought I would.

Ghost Ship Octavius in second position, they play a style a music I usually don't like, but they were really great!

I wasn't too disappointed, but the delays and technical/sound issues messed up Testament's first set, and made me miss at least half of Devildriver's first set.

I've only seen Amaranthe with a female frontwoman, but not sure if it fits: I guess the question is about a metal/music show, and what I saw was more of a peep show. A pathetic, atrocious-sounding peep show. I almost expected her to deep throat the mic several times.

Ghost Ship Octavius.

Testament, and as said before, even if the first performance was solid, delays and issues spoiled a good part of it. But the second pool deck show was a killer, so all good in the end.

Gold: Death Angel
    Silver: Carcass
    Bronze: Grave

Devildriver, missed most of their first show but the second was fucking furious. Dying Fetus, Marduk, still at the top of their game. Mors Principium Est, not something I would add to my playlist, but they're really good live.
    Wacken 2003
    Fury Fest 2004-2005, Hellfest 2006 to 2023
    70K 2017 - cabin 2250
    70K 2018 - cabin 8215
    70K 2019 - cabin 10xxx (can't fucking remember)
    Tono_Fyr
    Crewman

by Tono_Fyr » Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:04 pm

Allegaeon, Sphincter Lounge. The energy in that room was truly something to experience. Have to give an honorable mention to Angra, Pool Deck, as well. I crowd surfed for the first time, and it was also my first time seeing them after having listened to them for more than a decade!

2. The best performance.
    Amorphis, Pool Deck. What can really be said, they fucking killed it!

Saltatio Mortis, Pool Deck. We were just chilling in the hot tubs and decided to stick around, these guys were a more than pleasant surprise! They kicked a lot of ass, considering that we expected literally nothing from them.

Testament, Alhambra. We had to wait HOW long for the show to start? I did like the way it opened, but the setlist didn't pull me in.

Not that I caught many, but Nightmare's vocalist has a lot of power and I can't help but appreciate that.

Allegaeon, Sphincter or Striker, Pool Deck. I'm actually kind of sad at the low numbers on Cripper contenders this year.

While Amorphis was my favorite band aboard this year, Orphaned Land I had eagerly awaited seeing live for more than a decade. They killed both sets, though I wish there had been more variation between them.

Silver: Orphaned Land
    Bronze: Angra

Jeff Loomis Ft Arch Enemy was pretty cool, Trollfest were a great post-beach tunes party, Haggard, Mors Principium Est, Omnium Gatherum.

We could just called this "MeloDeath Boat" and be done with it.
    Wishlist:
    --Æther_Realm--Alarum--Amon_Amarth--Arcturus--Arjen_Luccassen--Atheist--Battlecross--Blind_Guardian--Borknagar--Candlemass--Cynic--Devin_Townsend--DOLL$BOXX--Dread_Crew_of_Oddwood--Dysrhythmia--Ensiferum--Freak_Kitchen--Gamma_Ray--Glittertind--Goatwhore--Gojira--Gordian_Knot--Green_Carnation--Holy_Grail--Ihsahn--Katatonia--Leprous--Machinae_Supremacy--Ne_Obliviscaris--Nightingale--Nile--Opeth--Pain_Of_Salvation--Raintime--Riverside--Sigh--Skeletonwitch--Steel_Panther--Symphony_X--Tengger_Cavalry--Thank_You_Scientist--Three--Turisas--Tyr--Unleash_The_Archers--Winds--Wintersun--Words_of_Farewell--Zimmer's_Hole--

2015: Survivor
    2016: Survivor
    2017: Survivor
    2018: Survivor
    2019: Survivor
    2020: Survivor
    2023: Survivor
    taketheday
    Chief Petty Officer

by taketheday » Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:57 am

Therion at the pool deck. I saw nothing but as it was my last show, that I was drunk, I gave 200% of myself by moving as I can :lol:

2. The best performance.
    Saltatio Mortis at the Alhambra, they're simply blown me away.

Ghost Ship Octavius.

Didn't have a disappointment this year.

The only one I saw was Xandria.

Ghost Ship Octavius.

Therion and I really enjoyed to see them again, even if it wasn't the best for Christofer with his neck, I suppose.

Gold: Therion
    Silver: Haggard
    Bronze: Saltatio Mortis

Grave Digger, Orphaned Land, Touch The Sun, Amorphis, Moonsorrow, Manegarm.

2013: 7545
    2014: 9554
    2015: 2633
    2016 and 2019: 7320
    2017/2018: 7624
    2020: 7324

https://www.facebook.com/Bands.support.and.promotion
Post Reply 35 posts Page 1 of 1