Post Reply 54 posts
What can UMC do to Make this better for you?
    Azazel101
    Sub-Lieutenant

What can UMC do to Make this better for you?

by Azazel101 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:00 am

Just Tring to make things better and looking for ideas, and in no way am I a part of UMC, but what changes can make you happier?
    Last edited by Azazel101 on Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
    ThyDarkendShade-/-SickofitAll-/-ArchEneny-/-AmonAmarth-/-Atrophy-/-D.R.I.-/-SuicidalTendencies-/-SLAYERlastshow-/-AmoredSaint-/-Autopsy-/-Doyle-/-AcidBath-/-BodyCount-/-Defiance-/-Dismember-/-ViscularAssault-/-Clutch-/-Entrails-/-EntombedAD-/-Hypocrisy-/-JungleRot-/-BrokenHope-/-NuclearAssault-/-Solstafir-/-LodyKong-/-Swans-/-Izgrim-/-LawnmowerDeth-/-TheExploited-/-CrypticSlaughter-/-FEAR
    Survived2011/12/13/14/15/16/17/18/19/BTH
  • Iconix
    Crewman

Re: What can UNC do to Make this better for you?

by Iconix » Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:10 am

Run it year round so I never have to leave?
    70k Survivor:
    2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2023, 2024

Wishlist: (ON!, last year, repeats, still hoping)

Aeternam-AlienWeaponry-AllShallPerish-Allegaeon-AMONAMARTH-Amorphis-Anciients-AndyGillion-ArchEnemy-AtTheGates-BE'LAKOR-Belzebubs-BeyondCreation-TheBlackDahliaMurder-BlackCrownInitiate-Blackguard-BloodStainChild-BORKNAGAR-Carcass-Chimaira-CountlessSkies-DarkAge-Darkane-DarkLunacy-DarkTranquillity-Devildriver-Diablo-DimensionZero-DimmuBorgir-DisarmoniaMundi-Eluveitie-Ensiferum-Equilibrium-EternalTearsOfSorrow-FearFactory-Finntroll-FleshgodApocalypse-GOJIRA-Gyze-TheHaloEffect-TheHaunted-Helleborus-Ihsahn-InFlames-InMourning-Insomnium-IntoEternity-InVain-Kalmah-Katatonia-KingOfAsgard-LacunaCoil-LambOfGod-Manegarm-Mastodon-Mercenary-Miseration-Moonsorrow-Moonspell-MorsPrincipiumEst-NeObliviscaris-Nightrage-Obscura-TheOcean-OceansOfSlumber-OctoberTide-OmniumGatherum-OPETH-Ouroboros-Persefone-PainConfessor-Raunchy-RiversOfNihil-RottingChrist-SaltatioMortis-ScarSymmetry-ShadowsFall-Shylmagoghnar-Skeletonwitch-Skyfire-Slipknot-Soen-Soilwork-Solution.45-Stam1na-Susperia-SvartCrown-SwallowTheSun-Sylosis-Testament-ThreatSignal-Trivium-Turisas-Tyr-Unearth-UnleashTheArchers-Whitechapel-WhiteVoid-Wilderun-Wintersun-Wolfheart

\m/ >_< \m/
  • Downvod
    Midshipman

by Downvod » Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:02 pm

Azazel101 wrote:Just Tring to make things better and looking for ideas, and in no way am I a part of UMC, but what changes can make you happier?

Isn't this what the yearly feedback form is for? Lol
    70k 2016: Cabin 7279
    70k 2017: Cabin 6361
    70k 2018: Cabin 1704
    70k 2019: Cabin 1402
    70k 2020: Cabin 9220
    70k 2023: Cabin 1704
    70k 2024: Cabin 1688

Abbath-/-AEPHANEMER-/-Aetherian-/-Alestorm-/-Allegaeon-/-Amon.Amarth-/-Amorphis-/-Andy.Gillion-/-Animals.as.Leaders-/-Annihilator-/-Arkona-/-Armageddon-/-Arsis-/-Ashes.of.Ares-/-Battlecross-/-Behemoth-/-BE'LAKOR-/-Belzebubs-/-Beyond.Creation-/-Black.Crown.Initiate-/-BLIND.GUARDIAN-/-Bloodbath-/-Bloodred.Hourglass-/-BORKNAGAR-/-Brymir-/-Carcass-/-Children.of.Bodom-/-Conjurer-/-The.Crown-/-Cthonic-/-Dalriada-/-Dark.Funeral-/-Dark.Tranquillity-/-Death.Angel-/-Death.to.All-/-Decapitated-/-Demonic.Resurrection-/-Demons.&.Wizards-/-Destruction-/-DGM-/-Dimmu.Borgir-/-Dragonlord-/-Enslaved-/-Equilibrium-/-ETERNAL.TEARS.OF.SORROW-/-Evocation-/-Finsterforst-/-Fleshgod.Apocalypse-/-Galactic.Empire-/-Ghoul-/-Gojira-/-Harakiri.for.the.Sky-/-Heidevolk-/-Hypocrisy-/-Iced.Earth-/-Immortal-/-Inferi-/-IN.MOURNING-/-Insomnium-/-In.Vain-/-Irreversible.Mechanism-/-Keep.of.Kalessin-/-Kreator-/-Kvelertak-/-Lovebites-/-Manegarm-/-Mastodon-/-Melechesh-/-Midnight-/-MGLA-/-Myrkur-/-Naglfar-/-Necrophagist-/-Necrophobic-/-Ne.Obliviscaris-/-Night.Demon-/-Nile-/-Obscura-/-Old.Man's.Child-/-Onslaught-/-Opeth-/-Orden.Ogan-/-Powerglove-/-Power.Trip-/-Psycroptic-/-Rage-/-Refuge-/-Revocation-/-Rivers.of.Nihil-/-Septicflesh-/-Solution.45-/-Swallow.the.Sun-/-SYMPHONY.X-/-TAAKE-/-Tankard-/-Testament-/-TRIBULATION-/-Uada-/-Unleash.the.Archers-/-Vader-/-Vallenfyre-/-Vektor-/-Warbringer-/-Watain-/-Winterfylleth-/-Winterhymn-/-WITCHERY-/-Witherscape-/-Wolfheart-/-Wolves.in.the.Throne.Room
    Pellaz
    Lieutenant

by Pellaz » Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:32 pm

Not sure about what UNC can do for me....it's been a long time since I graduated college and I'm too far away to attend the University of North Carolina as a grad student--
    --Oh, wait. :lol:

For next year, UMC could try this:

Silver -- 1-3 prior cruises with UMC
    Gold -- 4-6 cruises with UMC
    Platinum -- 7+ cruises with UMC
    2025 Wishlist:
    1349--Abbath--Abigail.Williams--Aephanemer--Agalloch--Agathodaimon--Alien.Weaponry--Allegaeon--Amon.Amarth--Amorphis--Animals.As.Leaders--Arkona--Arsis--Atrocity--Ayreon--Bal.Sagoth--Baroness--Barren.Earth--Battlelore--Behemoth--Below.7--Belzebubs--Be'lakor--Black.Crown.Initiate--Bloodbath--Borknagar--Broken.Trinity--Cannibal.Corpse--Chthe'ilist--CoF--Countless.Skies--Cynic--Demons.&.Wizards--Dimmu.Borgir--Dark.Tranquillity--Dragonforce--Edge.of.Sanity--Witherscape--anything.Dan.Swano--Eluveitie--Eneferens--Ensiferum--Enslaved--Eternal.Tears.of.Sorrow--Evergrey--Exmortus--Ex.Deo--Fear.Factory--Fires.In.the.Distance--Gojira--Graveworm--Green.Carnation--Hypocrisy--Immortal--Insomnium--Irreversible.Mechanism--Kalmah--Kamelot--Keep.Of.Kalessin--Korpiklaani--Kreator--Leprous--Luciferan.Light.Orchestra--Loss--Melechesh--Meshuggah--Mezarkabul--Moonspell--Mors.Principium.Est--Myrath--Ne.Obliviscaris--Nile--Nokturnal.Mortem--NorthTale--Novembers.Doom--Obscura--Old.Mans.Child--Opeth--Paladin--Poisonblack--Powerwolf--Primordial--Rapheumet's.Well--Raven--Rivers.Of.Nihil--Ryujin--Sabaton--Sadistic.Ritual--Samael--Satyricon--Savatage--Scale.the.Summit--Scorched.Moon--Septic.Flesh--Serious.Black--Seven.Spires--Sigh--Skalmold--Slough.Feg--Starkill--Steorrah--SYL--Suidakra--Summoning--Tarot--Therion--Thy.Serpent--Tomarum--Tomb.Mold--Turisas--Twilight.Force--Tyr--Vale.Of.Pnath--Valhalore--Vesania--Vintersorg--Wolfchant--Yyrkoon
    2015-2020; 2023-2024: Survivor
    2025: most likely
  • Downvod
    Midshipman

by Downvod » Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:06 pm

Pellaz wrote:

Well.. My e-mail yesterday said that if I book one more time, I will be Gold next year... so how about we leave the current status minimums alone and just add the platinum :)
    70k 2016: Cabin 7279
    70k 2017: Cabin 6361
    70k 2018: Cabin 1704
    70k 2019: Cabin 1402
    70k 2020: Cabin 9220
    70k 2023: Cabin 1704
    70k 2024: Cabin 1688

Abbath-/-AEPHANEMER-/-Aetherian-/-Alestorm-/-Allegaeon-/-Amon.Amarth-/-Amorphis-/-Andy.Gillion-/-Animals.as.Leaders-/-Annihilator-/-Arkona-/-Armageddon-/-Arsis-/-Ashes.of.Ares-/-Battlecross-/-Behemoth-/-BE'LAKOR-/-Belzebubs-/-Beyond.Creation-/-Black.Crown.Initiate-/-BLIND.GUARDIAN-/-Bloodbath-/-Bloodred.Hourglass-/-BORKNAGAR-/-Brymir-/-Carcass-/-Children.of.Bodom-/-Conjurer-/-The.Crown-/-Cthonic-/-Dalriada-/-Dark.Funeral-/-Dark.Tranquillity-/-Death.Angel-/-Death.to.All-/-Decapitated-/-Demonic.Resurrection-/-Demons.&.Wizards-/-Destruction-/-DGM-/-Dimmu.Borgir-/-Dragonlord-/-Enslaved-/-Equilibrium-/-ETERNAL.TEARS.OF.SORROW-/-Evocation-/-Finsterforst-/-Fleshgod.Apocalypse-/-Galactic.Empire-/-Ghoul-/-Gojira-/-Harakiri.for.the.Sky-/-Heidevolk-/-Hypocrisy-/-Iced.Earth-/-Immortal-/-Inferi-/-IN.MOURNING-/-Insomnium-/-In.Vain-/-Irreversible.Mechanism-/-Keep.of.Kalessin-/-Kreator-/-Kvelertak-/-Lovebites-/-Manegarm-/-Mastodon-/-Melechesh-/-Midnight-/-MGLA-/-Myrkur-/-Naglfar-/-Necrophagist-/-Necrophobic-/-Ne.Obliviscaris-/-Night.Demon-/-Nile-/-Obscura-/-Old.Man's.Child-/-Onslaught-/-Opeth-/-Orden.Ogan-/-Powerglove-/-Power.Trip-/-Psycroptic-/-Rage-/-Refuge-/-Revocation-/-Rivers.of.Nihil-/-Septicflesh-/-Solution.45-/-Swallow.the.Sun-/-SYMPHONY.X-/-TAAKE-/-Tankard-/-Testament-/-TRIBULATION-/-Uada-/-Unleash.the.Archers-/-Vader-/-Vallenfyre-/-Vektor-/-Warbringer-/-Watain-/-Winterfylleth-/-Winterhymn-/-WITCHERY-/-Witherscape-/-Wolfheart-/-Wolves.in.the.Throne.Room
    Pellaz
    Lieutenant

by Pellaz » Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:19 pm

Downvod wrote:
    Pellaz wrote:

Well.. My e-mail yesterday said that if I book one more time, I will be Gold next year... so how about we leave the current status minimums alone and just add the platinum :)

Aha, I was wondering if someone would note that email when I posted this.

So, make it:
    Silver: 1 or 2 prior cruises with UMC
    Gold: 3-6 priors
    Platinum: 7+ priors

--If that would put too many people into Gold, then flip it to:
    Silver: 1 or 2 priors
    Gold: 3-5 priors
    Platinum: 6+ priors

At this rate, ten or fifteen years from now we'll have Pinnacle, Diamond Plus, Diamond, Platinum, Gold and Silver Survivors. :lol:
    2025 Wishlist:
    1349--Abbath--Abigail.Williams--Aephanemer--Agalloch--Agathodaimon--Alien.Weaponry--Allegaeon--Amon.Amarth--Amorphis--Animals.As.Leaders--Arkona--Arsis--Atrocity--Ayreon--Bal.Sagoth--Baroness--Barren.Earth--Battlelore--Behemoth--Below.7--Belzebubs--Be'lakor--Black.Crown.Initiate--Bloodbath--Borknagar--Broken.Trinity--Cannibal.Corpse--Chthe'ilist--CoF--Countless.Skies--Cynic--Demons.&.Wizards--Dimmu.Borgir--Dark.Tranquillity--Dragonforce--Edge.of.Sanity--Witherscape--anything.Dan.Swano--Eluveitie--Eneferens--Ensiferum--Enslaved--Eternal.Tears.of.Sorrow--Evergrey--Exmortus--Ex.Deo--Fear.Factory--Fires.In.the.Distance--Gojira--Graveworm--Green.Carnation--Hypocrisy--Immortal--Insomnium--Irreversible.Mechanism--Kalmah--Kamelot--Keep.Of.Kalessin--Korpiklaani--Kreator--Leprous--Luciferan.Light.Orchestra--Loss--Melechesh--Meshuggah--Mezarkabul--Moonspell--Mors.Principium.Est--Myrath--Ne.Obliviscaris--Nile--Nokturnal.Mortem--NorthTale--Novembers.Doom--Obscura--Old.Mans.Child--Opeth--Paladin--Poisonblack--Powerwolf--Primordial--Rapheumet's.Well--Raven--Rivers.Of.Nihil--Ryujin--Sabaton--Sadistic.Ritual--Samael--Satyricon--Savatage--Scale.the.Summit--Scorched.Moon--Septic.Flesh--Serious.Black--Seven.Spires--Sigh--Skalmold--Slough.Feg--Starkill--Steorrah--SYL--Suidakra--Summoning--Tarot--Therion--Thy.Serpent--Tomarum--Tomb.Mold--Turisas--Twilight.Force--Tyr--Vale.Of.Pnath--Valhalore--Vesania--Vintersorg--Wolfchant--Yyrkoon
  • Mark
    Petty Officer

by Mark » Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:30 pm

If I had to pick one thing - improve communication while on the ship.
    Pooldeck won't be ready in time? Tell us!
    Technical issues? Tell us!
    Band won't be playing for another 30 minutes? FUCKING TELL US!
    Alestorm/Amaranthe/Anneke/Avantasia/Blind Guardian/Civil War/Devin Townsend/Apokalyptische Reiter/Edguy/Ensiferum/Equilibrium/Falconer/Gloryhammer/Grave Digger/Heidevolk/Korpiklaani/Omnium Gatherum/Powerwolf/Rage/Sabaton/Saxon/Therion/Trollfest/Wintersun
    PacNW
    Crewman

by PacNW » Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:37 pm

Mark wrote:If I had to pick one thing - improve communication while on the ship.

For serious response, this one. I remember at least 2-3 times missing parts of sets that were a second choice for me because 1st choice band was 30-45 minutes behind. Eventually you figure out that stage is running 45 behind all day, but it would be nice if they made a periodic announcement to help people optimize their set attendance.

Iconix wrote:Run it year round so I never have to leave?

If you annualize cabin, tax, & tip booking charge for $766 level cabins it comes to $80,000 to live on boat all year. But you would have zero housing and food cost. Building up $80,000 in passive income is no small feat, but I'd be ultra motivated. You'd also have to find enough bands to keep the shows going, which might be impossible. Maybe they could lower the costs if the ship doesn't have to port in as often.
    2012, 2017 - 6223, 2018 - 6387
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:02 pm

PacNW wrote:
    Mark wrote:If I had to pick one thing - improve communication while on the ship.

For serious response, this one. I remember at least 2-3 times missing parts of sets that were a second choice for me because 1st choice band was 30-45 minutes behind. Eventually you figure out that stage is running 45 behind all day, but it would be nice if they made a periodic announcement to help people optimize their set attendance.

I wonder how they should do this. It's kind of hard to hear the PA in many places on the ship, especially if one is at a show. Post a notice up at the venue entrance perhaps? I know even when we had the Fuck the Storm schedule released it only got to me through word of mouth.
    I should get around to updating my signature
  • Monmisreal
    Lieutenant

by Monmisreal » Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:28 pm

Pellaz wrote:Silver -- 1-3 prior cruises with UMC

Something like this would be nice. Fighting with others because the site goes down every fucking year is getting old. I think this makes the second year we had to spend more because of that crap.
  • sara
    Petty Officer

by sara » Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:24 pm

They could get a better system, maybe have a plan in place for higher traffic at easily expected times... :roll:

Also, reach a little into other genres a bit more. Should still be metal in some fashion, but yeah. Doesn't have to be a headliner, just add a grind band besides Napalm Death once in awhile or something. Though Misery Loves Co. was a nice foray, and I suppose Dead Cross was an attempt.
    Warbringer-/-King-Parrot-/-Lich-King-/-Angelus-Apatrida-/-Benighted-/-The-Crown-/-Aeon-/-Witchery-/-Occultist-/-Black-Breath-/-Chthonic-/-Alestorm-/-Devin-Townsend-/-Zimmers-Hole-/-Party-Thrash-/-Grindcore-/-Stoner-Bands-/-Folk-Metal-/-Heavier-Prog
  • ExtraneouS
    Petty Officer

by ExtraneouS » Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:34 pm

IIRC, they normally make announcements by taping paper notices by the elevators, but those are easily taken by people. What they could do is post a notice at the entrance to a venue of how far behind it's running, or put it up on the screens around the ship that normally show random show times.
  • klons
    Chief Petty Officer

by klons » Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:35 pm

Downvod wrote:
    Pellaz wrote:

This. Keep the levels the same, add Platinum booking for 6+. Maybe a special Black level for people that have been on all the cruises?
    2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017 Survivor.
    Pellaz
    Lieutenant

by Pellaz » Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:36 pm

sara wrote:They could get a better system, maybe have a plan in place for higher traffic at easily expected times... :roll:

I was thinking about this...and I doubt it would make financial sense for UMC to upgrade their servers for a twice-a-year load. If they could add some temporary capacity during booking time fairly easily then that could be a solution, but I'm not sure how easy that is, despite watching that show Silicon Valley. :D
    2025 Wishlist:
  • Godflesh
    Ensign

by Godflesh » Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:11 pm

ExtraneouS wrote:or put it up on the screens around the ship that normally show random show times.

This.
  • Hulk RT
    Crewman

by Hulk RT » Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:55 pm

I would love to see a better way to buy mech. Say order it from my cabin and have it brought to the room or something. This is mostly because I didn't understand how it worked last year and miss out on all the shirts I wanted because I need a XXL and they were out.
    2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2023 Survivor
    captaingabbeh
    Chief Petty Officer

by captaingabbeh » Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:09 pm

Pellaz wrote:
    sara wrote:They could get a better system, maybe have a plan in place for higher traffic at easily expected times... :roll:

I was thinking about this...and I doubt it would make financial sense for UMC to upgrade their servers for a twice-a-year load. If they could add some temporary capacity during booking time fairly easily then that could be a solution, but I'm not sure how easy that is, despite watching that show Silicon Valley. :D

UMC could probably look into cloud hosting at a reasonable rate and just buy extra capacity for two weeks a year. I'm basically positive there is a PCI-compliant credit card handler for booking that interfaces to Amazon EC2 or Azure, unless the standard actually bars interfacing to cloud-hosted websites (which is probably not a thing but I haven't read the standard). The rest of the site is basically pretty static webpages plus whatever hosts the forum. And on EC2 and probably Azure as well, it's pretty easy to spin up more capacity if you need to. Though you wouldn't want to migrate off a physical server until things quiet down around Marchish after the cruise.

(dear Andy, please feel free to take my consulting rates off my incoming bar bill :p)

2015-2018,
    Goth Cruise 2019

Wishlist: Myrath-Skindred-Rotting Christ-Amorphis-Hypocrisy-Demons & Wizards-3TEETH-Emperor-Psyclon Nine-Ihsahn-Batushka-Anaal Nathrakh-Epica-Aeternam-Nightwish-Starkill-Primordial-Zeal & Ardor-Powerwolf
    Azazel101
    Sub-Lieutenant

by Azazel101 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:41 am

Hulk RT wrote:I would love to see a better way to buy mech. Say order it from my cabin and have it brought to the room or something. This is mostly because I didn't understand how it worked last year and miss out on all the shirts I wanted because I need a XXL and they were out.

I agree with this one. some sort of pre-order and have it delivered to our cabins.
    maybe not for all merch but at least the 70K stuff
    ThyDarkendShade-/-SickofitAll-/-ArchEneny-/-AmonAmarth-/-Atrophy-/-D.R.I.-/-SuicidalTendencies-/-SLAYERlastshow-/-AmoredSaint-/-Autopsy-/-Doyle-/-AcidBath-/-BodyCount-/-Defiance-/-Dismember-/-ViscularAssault-/-Clutch-/-Entrails-/-EntombedAD-/-Hypocrisy-/-JungleRot-/-BrokenHope-/-NuclearAssault-/-Solstafir-/-LodyKong-/-Swans-/-Izgrim-/-LawnmowerDeth-/-TheExploited-/-CrypticSlaughter-/-FEAR
    Survived2011/12/13/14/15/16/17/18/19/BTH
    Evican
    Sub-Lieutenant

by Evican » Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:28 am

Azazel101 wrote:I agree with this one. some sort of pre-order and have it delivered to our cabins.
    maybe not for all merch but at least the 70K stuff

Pre-order, yes. However I remember talking to the merch staff this year about it being delivered to cabins and they said it wasn't possible.

HOWEVER, pre-orders for 70K would be splendid! Then you could just pick up your order from the the main merch area when you have time/don't want to see bands and know that you're getting exactly what you want. It would also help UMC in that they would have more accurate numbers for ordering the merchandise.
    70K 2011 | 2012 | 2017 | 2018 | 2020
    2020 WISHLIST: Sulphur Aeon-Cripper-Carach Angren-Melechesh-Behemoth-Benighted-Epica-Negura Bunget-Disarmonia Mundi-Ex Deo-Into Eternity-Septicflesh-Nightrage-Emperor-Incantation-Necrophagist-Kalisia-Virgin Black
  • Phoenix
    Lieutenant

by Phoenix » Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:45 am

After 2015 I gave up on band merch. Always buy at least one girlie tank with the logo on it though. Props to 70k for not just having unisex tanks.

I want a more organised boarding procedure. This year they just kind of dumped us in a room, took lines at random, and got really uppity when people stood up when we weren't "supposed to". Of course we did, we couldn't hear a damn word you were saying over the PA, you held the microphone too close to your mouth.

I really want a better way to display announcements and updates on the ship though. I was told last year that the way RC does their televisions means that 70k only gets one channel, and not everything can display that channel. But SOME sort of way to get us updates better is important.

Survivor:
    Out for 2023
  • Monmisreal
    Lieutenant

by Monmisreal » Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:49 am

Phoenix wrote:I want a more organised boarding procedure. This year they just kind of dumped us in a room, took lines at random, and got really uppity when people stood up when we weren't "supposed to". Of course we did, we couldn't hear a damn word you were saying over the PA, you held the microphone too close to your mouth.

So much this! Shit was terrible this year. We were one of the first ones in and one of the last ones on. I remember texting with nekrobarr and he got there like an hour or so after us and we got on the boat like 30 minutes after them. They didn't tell us where to go so we just sat down and started bullshitting with people.
  • alex_canada
    Ensign

Re: What can UMC do to Make this better for you?

by alex_canada » Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:51 pm

-Don't ban hot tub crowdsurfing. It's far safer than moshing on the soaked pooldeck.
    -More variety in towel animals
    -White chocolate + macadamia cookies, not just chocolate chip
    -Toppings for the soft serve ice cream
    -Pre order merch
    -Tear down all structures on deck 11 to see the stage from the pool, like Majesty
    -Either kick us off at 6 am or let us stay until noon. 7-9 am is the worst two hours of the year after sleeping for maybe an hour
    -RC staff to actually come around selling drinks, had to leave the hot tub far too many times
    -Higher platform for belly flop. Don't want to do the contest until I have space for a double rotation...us skinny guys need tricks.
    -More ambient bands in random areas like Vika, maybe Oddwood
    -More nudity
    -Slip n' slide down length of promenade on last night
    -Higher ceiling in gym
    -Wristbands
    -Boobs
    -Food safe to grab and stuff in your pocket for snacking later, e.g. Clif bars or stale cookies
    -Dildos at every bar
    -Dogs
    -No violin guy in kareoke
    -Keep one set of stairs, make the other into a twisty slide
    3 Inches of Blood, Amon Amarth, Andrew WK, Be'lakor, Blind Guardian, Ne Obliviscaris, Nightwish, Unleash the Archers, Wuthering Heights
    Pellaz
    Lieutenant

by Pellaz » Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:15 pm

alex_canada wrote:-Don't ban hot tub crowdsurfing. It's far safer than moshing on the soaked pooldeck.

Wait, did they ban that?
    -More variety in towel animals

I'd be happy with ANY. I've only gotten them once in three years.
    -White chocolate + macadamia cookies, not just chocolate chip

They need to bring back those cheesecake-on-a-stick things at the Promenade Café this year, after their much-missed absence last year, damnit.
    -Toppings for the soft serve ice cream

Yeah, especially considering it's called "Sprinkles".... :lol:
    -Pre order merch

This, this, a thousand times this. For pick-up at a kiosk onbroad since they can't deliver it to staterooms.
    -Tear down all structures on deck 11 to see the stage from the pool, like Majesty

Yeah, THAT ain't happening. Maybe during the drydock next year? :lol:
-Either kick us off at 6 am or let us stay until noon. 7-9 am is the worst two hours of the year after sleeping for maybe an hour

--Especially considering Insomnium will probably play at 4:30 am again on the last day. :evil:
-RC staff to actually come around selling drinks, had to leave the hot tub far too many times

They were probably afraid of being splashed. With good reason. :lol:
-Higher platform for belly flop. Don't want to do the contest until I have space for a double rotation...us skinny guys need tricks.

Us fat guys don't need tricks, hah! (Having said that, one of these decades I might enter that thing if I can find something uniquely awful to wear.)
-More ambient bands in random areas like Vika, maybe Oddwood

That'd be cool. They tried it two 70Ks ago (or was it three?) in front of the Brit pub on the Promenade, but only the first row or two could hear.
The Promenade is actually designed for parades and shows, so they could maybe arrange something there.
-More nudity

This one is.....purely situational. :D
-Slip n' slide down length of promenade on last night

"Look at the bodies falling down the stairways!" "Awesome!"
-Higher ceiling in gym

There's a gym? Next thing ya know they'll have a boxing ring or something-- oh, wait.
-Wristbands

For no apparent purpose. Just give us wristbands.
Although 70K wristbands (non-specific as to year) WOULD be kinda cool.
-Boobs

Known as "winnebagoes" west of the Rockies.
-Food safe to grab and stuff in your pocket for snacking later, e.g. Clif bars or stale cookies

See the Facebook Forum Fiends group for the "single pizza slice carrier" post. All the Sorrentos pizza you can stand! (urk)
-Dildos at every bar

Hey, some of those bartenders are pretty cool!
-Dogs

Big red dogs, crowd-surfing during Melechesh's set.
Also: Melechesh.
-No violin guy in karaoke

To be replaced by a saxophone player, who only plays that one sax song over and over and over....
-Keep one set of stairs, make the other into a twisty slide
A little vegetable oil on those marble-like stairs and wheeeee.......
2025 Wishlist:
    bodomdragon
    Sub-Lieutenant

by bodomdragon » Sat Jul 15, 2017 7:49 am

Do something about the retarded bastards who throw water from the hot tub to the pit in the pool deck stage.
    Wishlist:
    Ad.Infinitum--Aephanemer--Alestorm--Anthriel--AVANTASIA--Axxis--
    Battle.Beast--Beast.in.Black--Belzebubs--Be'lakor--BEYOND.THE.BLACK--Borealis--BORKNAGAR--Brymir--Caligula's.Horse--CHAOSBAY--Countless.Skies--Crowne--Dimmu.Borgir--DGM--Distorted.Harmony--DragonForce--Dream.Theater--Eclipse.(Sweden)--ELECTRIC.CALLBOY--Ensiferum--Evergrey--FEUERSCHWANZ--Fractal.Gates--Freedom.Call--GAMMA.RAY--Haken--Hei'an--Helloween--In.Mourning--INSOMNIUM--Kamelot--Keep.Of.Kalessin--KISSIN'.DYNAMITE--MERCENARY--Moonsorrow--Ne.Obliviscaris--Orden.Ogan--Pretty.Maids--Powerglove--PYRAMAZE--SABATON--SEVENTH.WONDER--Shade.Empire--Skeletoon--SOEN--Subterranean.Masquerade--SYMPHONY.X--Tremonti--Trollfest--Unleash.The.Archers--VISIONS.OF.ATLANTIS--VOLA--Volbeat--VOYAGER--WIDEK--Wilderun--Wintersun

2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2023, 2024: Survivor

Unofficial 70K User Guide: https://70kguide.wordpress.com
    TPH
    Chief Petty Officer

by TPH » Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:27 am

bodomdragon wrote:Do something about the retarded bastards who throw water from the hot tub to the pit in the pool deck stage.

Yes, a hundred times yes.
    Wacken 2003
    Fury Fest 2004-2005, Hellfest 2006 to 2023
    70K 2017 - cabin 2250
    70K 2018 - cabin 8215
    70K 2019 - cabin 10xxx (can't fucking remember)
    Gratch
    Chief Petty Officer

by Gratch » Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:57 pm

sara wrote:and I suppose Dead Cross was an attempt.

It was certainly...something.

I consider their ice rink show to be in the top three worst live performances I've ever witnessed. Good god, it was awful.

That said, I have liked a couple of their new tunes with Mike Patton. That dude can fix anything.
    Survivor 2016/17/18/19/20

Ultimate Wishlist Bands
    Anaal Nathrakh - Behemoth - Igorrr - Khemmis - Myrkur - The Ocean - Pallbearer - Sigh - Tribulation - Sentient Horror - Turisas - Wilderun - Witherscape - Zeal & Ardor
    Rjturtle9
    Crewman

by Rjturtle9 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:38 pm

The band merch! My number didn't even get called this year and the year before I slept in line for 4 hours just to be told all the bands I liked didn't bring merch. :/
    Angra-Amon Amarth-Autopsy-Cancer-Cavalera Conspiracy-Chthonic-Coroner-Iron Reagan-Kreator-Masacre-Mayham-Necrophagist-Nightwish-Nuclear Assault-Obituary-Obscura-Onslaught-Overkill-Pagans Mind-Razor-Revocation-Sonata Arctica-Toxik-Ulver-Unisonic
  • Phoenix
    Lieutenant

by Phoenix » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:44 am

Rjturtle9 wrote:The band merch! My number didn't even get called this year and the year before I slept in line for 4 hours just to be told all the bands I liked didn't bring merch. :/

They HAD a sign that told you which bands did NOT bring merch in the area. I remember because I looked at it, realised MPE and Scar Symmetry didn't bring any, and decided not to bother trying to get in for merch.

Survivor:
    Out for 2023
    stoverkill
    Midshipman

by stoverkill » Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:59 pm

Informal complaints about the merch siuation can be made here:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/728872593893577/

:bitch:

:lol:
    13 time survivor
    Pellaz
    Lieutenant

by Pellaz » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:15 pm

Phoenix wrote:
    Rjturtle9 wrote:The band merch! My number didn't even get called this year and the year before I slept in line for 4 hours just to be told all the bands I liked didn't bring merch. :/

They HAD a sign that told you which bands did NOT bring merch in the area. I remember because I looked at it, realised MPE and Scar Symmetry didn't bring any, and decided not to bother trying to get in for merch.

Yep, and in the same thread that Stoverkill just posted, 70K's "merch maven" was keeping everyone apprised as to which bands were not bringing merch, and which bands had event-specific merch...keeping in mind that in many cases they would not know until embark morning.

Last 70k's system wasn't without problems, but I'll give them a lot of credit for trying to address our concerns. With a few tweaks I think it could be pretty darn good.
    2025 Wishlist:
    Rjturtle9
    Crewman

by Rjturtle9 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:47 pm

Pellaz wrote:
    Phoenix wrote:

Yep, and in the same thread that Stoverkill just posted, 70K's "merch maven" was keeping everyone apprised as to which bands were not bringing merch, and which bands had event-specific merch...keeping in mind that in many cases they would not know until embark morning.

Last 70k's system wasn't without problems, but I'll give them a lot of credit for trying to address our concerns. With a few tweaks I think it could be pretty darn good.

I saw the sign this year, I was just bringing up my experience from when I camped out the previous year. Where can I find that "merch maven" info? I checked around on the forum and couldn't find it, must not be searching in the right spots or something.
    Angra-Amon Amarth-Autopsy-Cancer-Cavalera Conspiracy-Chthonic-Coroner-Iron Reagan-Kreator-Masacre-Mayham-Necrophagist-Nightwish-Nuclear Assault-Obituary-Obscura-Onslaught-Overkill-Pagans Mind-Razor-Revocation-Sonata Arctica-Toxik-Ulver-Unisonic
  • Bob
    Petty Officer

by Bob » Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:12 pm

Free WiFi

I know this is a cruise line cash cow, but I'm too cheap to get it, and so are most of my friends.

A HUGE advantage to having a free ship wide comm service would be having a convention app that is useful. I know we have an informal app that Ron does, but without WiFi, it's not really useful to me. You gots to get instant updates on the schedule that is constantly changing. Plus you could see what's in that merch store, before you spend all day standing in line for it.

I have this love/hate thing with NOT having cell service on the cruise. I love that I'm not constantly looking at my phone, it's only there for pictures. But I do miss being able to text and hook up with people, especially on a big ship.
    Wishlist 2024: Ranked in order of:
    1. Line up on the center rail for both sets if announced.

Konvent
    2. Never seen them live.
    Anaal_Nathrakh-/-Burning_Witches-/-Combichrist-/-Dee_Snider-/-Gojira-/-Grai-/-Hanzel_und_Gretyl-/-IGNEA-/-Inquisition-/-Jinjer-/-Lovebites-/-King_Diamond-/-Mgla-/-Opeth-/-Rob_Zombie-/-Spiritbox-/-Temple_of_Evil-/-The_Hu-/-Vader-/-Visigoth-/-Wagakki_Band
    3. Seen them before and would love to see them on das boat.
    Avatar-/-Babymetal-/-Behemoth-/-Corrosion_of_Conformity-/-Fleshgod_Apocalypse-/-Lacuna_Coil-/-Lamb_of_God-/-Meshuggah-/-Metsatöll-/-Myrkur-/-Sabaton-/-Sepultura-/-Suicidal_Tendencies-/-Therion-/-The_Iron_Maidens-/-Wolves_in_the_Throne_Room
    70K Survivor - 2015, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 23
    spooky
    Petty Officer

by spooky » Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:16 pm

...YES to the free WiFi!!! It would make life SO much easier to keep in touch with friends and sort out where they are, vs. going on a real life "Where's Waldo" search! :mrgreen:
    2016: Survivor
    2017: Survivor
    2018: Survivor
    2019: Survivor
    2020: Survivor
    2021: FUCK COVID
    2022: FUCK COVID
    2023: Survivor
    2024: Survivor
    Evican
    Sub-Lieutenant

by Evican » Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:52 pm

bodomdragon wrote:Do something about the retarded bastards who throw water from the hot tub to the pit in the pool deck stage.

YES. THIS.

Keep the fucking water in the hot tub, you morons. Water + alcohol + excessive sun + slippery floors = $$ for having to get stitched up or worse. Seriously, are you five years old?!

I slipped over this year completely sober because that floor gets so damn slippery.
    70K 2011 | 2012 | 2017 | 2018 | 2020
    2020 WISHLIST: Sulphur Aeon-Cripper-Carach Angren-Melechesh-Behemoth-Benighted-Epica-Negura Bunget-Disarmonia Mundi-Ex Deo-Into Eternity-Septicflesh-Nightrage-Emperor-Incantation-Necrophagist-Kalisia-Virgin Black
    slayergeek
    Midshipman

by slayergeek » Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:06 pm

Bob wrote:Free WiFi

A HUGE advantage to having a free ship wide comm service would be having a convention app that is useful. I know we have an informal app that Ron does, but without WiFi, it's not really useful to me. You gots to get instant updates on the schedule that is constantly changing. Plus you could see what's in that merch store, before you spend all day standing in line for it.

Yes, I agree that I 'could' update the schedule if everyone had free WiFi. That being said, that would only work if UMC took more direct control of my data files. As much as I know it would aid the greater good having me try to keep track of which stages are behind by 2 hours, and what shows have changed times, and using that data to update all my data files all by myself...that would not work out very well. Getting the schedule in before the cruise, and then enjoying everything after that I'm more then willing to do. Trying to keep up with all the 'which stage is behind and by how much, and what does that do to all the downstream shows', I call 'Not It'!

Also unless UMC paid RC to give us that feature, I don't see it happening.

Though I agree in a 'what if' world, it would be fucking awesome.
    Survivor
    • 2014,2015,2016,2017,2018,2019,2020,2023,2024,See_you_in_2025

Absolute_Darkness-Death/Thrash_Band_I_am_the_Singer/Guitarist_for
    • FacebookPage-https://www.facebook.com/BandAbsoluteDarkness

Thud_Bukit-Death/Comedy_Band_I_am_the_Singer/Guitarist/Drummer/Bassist_for
    • FacebookPage-https://www.facebook.com/Thud-Bukit-100960638505481

70k Bands - Unofficial iPhone/Android_app_of_the_70,000_tons_cruise
    WishList
    • Old_Man's_Child-/-Battle_Cross-/-Impaled-/-Dismember-/-Amon_Amarth-/-Dethklok-/-Gruesome-/-Rotten_Sound-/-As_Blood_Runs_Black-/-Through_The_Eyes_Of_The_Dead-/-Testament-/
    Pellaz
    Lieutenant

by Pellaz » Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:32 pm

Rjturtle9 wrote:
    Pellaz wrote:

I saw the sign this year, I was just bringing up my experience from when I camped out the previous year. Where can I find that "merch maven" info? I checked around on the forum and couldn't find it, must not be searching in the right spots or something.

It's on the "70,000 Tons of Merch Complaints" Facebook group. The group is normally more polite and civil than that name might suggest. :twisted: It's been a good place for merch issues and back-and-forth dialogue with some of the people who handle the merch.
    Not sure whether it's secret or closed or whatever; I'm not a moderator or anything.
    2025 Wishlist:
  • Phoenix
    Lieutenant

by Phoenix » Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:44 am

Rjturtle9 wrote:I saw the sign this year, I was just bringing up my experience from when I camped out the previous year. Where can I find that "merch maven" info? I checked around on the forum and couldn't find it, must not be searching in the right spots or something.

Someone (possibly the merch maven herself) also cross posts it to the 70,000 Tons of Metal Forum Fiends and 70,000 Tons of Metal 2018 facebook groups. You need someone to approve you joining but usually they accept people if it's pretty obvious you've been before. They can only do so much before broading, which is why they put the sign up. I remember the sign also being there in 2015, so sucks that 2016 didn't have it.

Survivor:
    Out for 2023
    stoverkill
    Midshipman

by stoverkill » Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:56 am

Again: Informal complaints about the merch siuation can be made here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/728872593893577/
    :bitch:

Here are some other unofficial FB groups.

Forum Fiends....
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/182819641768657/

Survivor Parties
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/587724367974425/
    13 time survivor
    UltimoAviso
    Petty Officer

by UltimoAviso » Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:47 am

We bring walkie talkies on board to stay in communication when needed. Granted there was a casualty of one in the ice rink last year but finding a replacement wasnt too hard. Its very nice socializing people without them looking at their phone every 10 seconds.
    http://www.helionprimemetal.com/ <-My Band

70K:
    2016-7211
    2017-9230
    2018-1690
    2019-7648
    Wacken:
    Progpower:

Wish:Skull Fist-Striker-*Grim Reaper*-Manowar-Running Wild(and i book immediately)
    Daenerys
    Midshipman

by Daenerys » Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:12 am

Give me $82.20 worth of onboard credit to reimburse me for foreign transaction fees :bitch:
    Voyager-Vuur-GrandMagus-Myrath-Borknagar-NovembersDoom-Aeternam-Havok-TheHaloEffect-Moonspell-SepticFlesh-Sigh-BarrenEarth-Iotunn-ScarSymmetry-Nekrogoblikon
  • Post Reply 54 posts