User

DrinkMoxie

Rank

Commander

Tue May 24, 2011 8:31 pm

McKees Rocks, PA

2017 Top 10 lists

by DrinkMoxie » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:45 pm

Well, it's been a long year, and a lot has happened in the world. A LOT of great, and once great bands have released albums this year, and it's been harder to keep up than in the past...
...but I've finally finished listening to all the releases I needed to, and here's what I liked best this year (many of you assume NeO must be my top pick, but it simply didn't even make the cut)!
Top honors go to a band that has consistently been impressing me since being introduced by some floppy headed maple chuggers I know... I've thoroughly enjoyed their entire discography, and this year I really feel they simply released the best record of all the hundreds I've listened to... Thank you, Unleash The Archers, for the highly enjoyable "Apex" that I spent most of my summer rockin' to, full volume, in my car, windows and pedal down!!!
1. Unleash The Archers "Apex" (Napalm)
2. Mors Principium Est "Embers Of A Dying World" (AFM)
3. Black Kirin 黑麒麟 "Nanking Massacre" (Self Released)
4. Alestorm "No Grave But The Sea" (Napalm)
5. Vintersorg "Till Fjalls, Del II" (Napalm)
6. Warbringer "Woe To The Vanquished" (Napalm)
7. ORDEN OGAN "Gunmen" (AFM)
8. River Black "River Black" (Season Of Mist)
9. WITCHERY "I Am Legion" (Century Media)
10. Lich King "The Omniclasm" (Self Released)
I'd also like to just make a special mention to Dyscarnate, their record "With All Their Might" (Unique Leader) is noteworthy as such a solid, supremely heavy, pummeling release... It definitely deserves your attention!
So, get out there and enjoy some metal \m/
Borknagar-Powerwolf-FolkEarth-Metalachi-GreenCarnation-Atoma-JulieLaughsNomore-Skyfire-BlackKirin-Shangren-WitheredBeauty-...AndOceans-Hypocrisy-Nightfall-Gardenian-AblazeMySorrow-WithoutGrief-ACanorousQuintet-Excretion-CardinalSin-CallenishCircle-InThyDreams-EternalLies-Miscreant-Eucharist-BuriedDreams-Shadow-Amsvartner-EbonyTears-ManipulatedSlaves-NailWithin-Flying-Dispatched-NeglectedFields-LegionOfTheDamned-CarnalForge-Gojira-RiverBlack-CarBomb-Damaged-Xentrix-LakeOfTears-Neurosis-Minsk-Mindrot-Morgion-EyesOfFire-DestroyJudas-Exhorder-Sargon-Sacrifice-Sodom-Darkane-Nothnegal-TheCrown-CeremonialOath-SinsOfOmission-EternalTearsOfSorrow-Sigh-Whispered-Jaldaboath-DescendIntoNothingness-CrestOfDarkness-Carcariass-In~Quest-Anata-Bal*Sagoth-Witherscape-DimensionZero-MentalHome-Myrath-Illogicist-Hacride-Goatwhore-Acrassicauda-Impious-NightInGales-EndOfGreen-SpiralArchitect-EphelDuath-DimensionF3H-RedHarvest-Vinterland-Heidevolk-TenggerCavalry-GreenJello-Pist*On-Zimmer'sHole-Witchery-Trepalium-Vintersorg-UnleashTheArchers-SamBlackChurch-Downpour-SevendayCurse-GreySkiesFallen-OctoberTide-DaylightDies-MyHiddenSin-ThisEnding-TheAbsence-Desultory-ConditionCritical-GospelOfTheWitches-BlackEarth-FrostyEve-MeadowsEnd-ComposMentis-InThousandLakes-TheZephyr-FragmentsOfUnbecoming-Seducer'sEmbrace-TheExcrementoryGrindfuckers-Whitesnake-WhiteZombie-SkidRow(w/SebastianBach)-Alestorm-DarkTranquillity-InExtremo-Korpiklaani-Kreator-Meshuggah-Gyze-Benediction-BeyondCreation-Voivod

cabin 3013 (2012)
cabin 9560 (2014)
cabin 8671 (2015)
cabin 7313 (2017)
User

Phoenix

Rank

Ensign

Tue Sep 23, 2014 4:29 pm

Calgary, AB, Canada

Re: 2017 Top 10 lists

by Phoenix » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:32 pm

DrinkMoxie wrote: (many of you assume NeO must be my top pick, but it simply didn't even make the cut)!

I did quite like what they put down, but I found that the production quality was a little lower than Citadel. Some very good songs on that record though.

I've actually been somewhat let down by a lot of the stuff put out this year from my regular bands... I need to go back and give some of the stuff I missed a listen. Apex, Tarot, Gunmen... but even then I won't have enough for a top 10.
Aeternam-†-Amon.Amarth-†-Black.Crown.Initiate-†-ChthoniC-†-Gorod-†-In.Extremo-†-Insomnium-†-In.Vain-†-Korpiklaani-†-Melechesh-†-Mercenary-†-Metsatöll-†-Ne.Obliviscaris-†-Novembre-†-Sabaton-†-Silent.Civilian-†-Soilwork-†-Solstafir-†-Tengger.Calvary-†-Wardruna-†-Whispered-†-
User

acidbasement

Rank

Chief Petty Officer

Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:41 pm

Erickson, Manitoba

by acidbasement » Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:54 am

Phoenix wrote:
I did quite like what they put down, but I found that the production quality was a little lower than Citadel. Some very good songs on that record though.

I need to give it a few more listens, maybe break out the good headphones. It's definitely recorded differently and the drums sound more raw, like you're actually in the room with them. It also feels more like a cohesive album to me, rather than a collection of songs, and that's cool.

My trouble with NeO is that they're not background music, so I never listen to them unless that's all I'm doing. Which is actually a good thing, but it just means that I'm more likely to put on something simpler with a singalong chorus while playing board games or whatever.
Korpiklaani-/-In.Extremo-/-Alestorm-/-Aeternam-/-Battle.Beast-/-Threshold-/-Moonspell-/-Avantasia-/-Edguy-/-Grai-/-Astral.Doors-/-Civil.War-/-Wederganger-/-Scarab-/-Kontrust-/-Gloryhammer-/-Blind.Guardian-/-Heathen.Foray-/-Ne.Obliviscaris-/-The.Dread.Crew.Of.Oddwood-/-Turisas-/-Deathstars-/-Metsatöll-/-Subway.to.Sally-/-Vogelfrey
User

DrinkMoxie

Rank

Commander

Tue May 24, 2011 8:31 pm

McKees Rocks, PA

by DrinkMoxie » Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:01 am

acidbasement wrote:
Phoenix wrote:

I need to give it a few more listens, maybe break out the good headphones. It's definitely recorded differently and the drums sound more raw, like you're actually in the room with them. It also feels more like a cohesive album to me, rather than a collection of songs, and that's cool.

My trouble with NeO is that they're not background music, so I never listen to them unless that's all I'm doing. Which is actually a good thing, but it just means that I'm more likely to put on something simpler with a singalong chorus while playing board games or whatever.

"Urn" is a simpler album, honestly, and I couldn't make myself care much more than if it were background music...

...and you have to know me to understand ho I used to live to promote and listen to them...
Borknagar-Powerwolf-FolkEarth-Metalachi-GreenCarnation-Atoma-JulieLaughsNomore-Skyfire-BlackKirin-Shangren-WitheredBeauty-...AndOceans-Hypocrisy-Nightfall-Gardenian-AblazeMySorrow-WithoutGrief-ACanorousQuintet-Excretion-CardinalSin-CallenishCircle-InThyDreams-EternalLies-Miscreant-Eucharist-BuriedDreams-Shadow-Amsvartner-EbonyTears-ManipulatedSlaves-NailWithin-Flying-Dispatched-NeglectedFields-LegionOfTheDamned-CarnalForge-Gojira-RiverBlack-CarBomb-Damaged-Xentrix-LakeOfTears-Neurosis-Minsk-Mindrot-Morgion-EyesOfFire-DestroyJudas-Exhorder-Sargon-Sacrifice-Sodom-Darkane-Nothnegal-TheCrown-CeremonialOath-SinsOfOmission-EternalTearsOfSorrow-Sigh-Whispered-Jaldaboath-DescendIntoNothingness-CrestOfDarkness-Carcariass-In~Quest-Anata-Bal*Sagoth-Witherscape-DimensionZero-MentalHome-Myrath-Illogicist-Hacride-Goatwhore-Acrassicauda-Impious-NightInGales-EndOfGreen-SpiralArchitect-EphelDuath-DimensionF3H-RedHarvest-Vinterland-Heidevolk-TenggerCavalry-GreenJello-Pist*On-Zimmer'sHole-Witchery-Trepalium-Vintersorg-UnleashTheArchers-SamBlackChurch-Downpour-SevendayCurse-GreySkiesFallen-OctoberTide-DaylightDies-MyHiddenSin-ThisEnding-TheAbsence-Desultory-ConditionCritical-GospelOfTheWitches-BlackEarth-FrostyEve-MeadowsEnd-ComposMentis-InThousandLakes-TheZephyr-FragmentsOfUnbecoming-Seducer'sEmbrace-TheExcrementoryGrindfuckers-Whitesnake-WhiteZombie-SkidRow(w/SebastianBach)-Alestorm-DarkTranquillity-InExtremo-Korpiklaani-Kreator-Meshuggah-Gyze-Benediction-BeyondCreation-Voivod

cabin 3013 (2012)
cabin 9560 (2014)
cabin 8671 (2015)
cabin 7313 (2017)
User

mooyagi

Rank

Captain

Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:25 pm

Tucson, AZ, USA

by mooyagi » Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:54 am

My top 10 albums:

1. Ayreon - The Source. A masterpiece. Quite possibly Arjen's best album.
2. Unleash the Archers - Apex. I'm not much a fan of their back catalog but they really put together an excellent album.
3. Aeternam - Ruins of Empires. Shoutout to the forum for bringing this band to my attention.
4. Enslaved - E. Best of their modern output.
5. Paradise Lost - Medusa. I much prefer the heavy version of Paradise Lost. I hope they keep with it for a while.
6. Pallbearer - Heartless. Great album to listen to while doing absolutely nothing.
7. Vintersorg - Til fjälls, del II. He was able to recreate the atmosphere of his old material with a more modern sound.
8. Woe - Hope Attrition. I always anticipate a Woe release and they don't disappoint.
9. Wolfheart - Tyhjyys. It's a Wolfheart album. Glad they're on the boat.
10. Exit Eden - Rhapsodies in Black. Sue me. :P

As a bonus, my 5 biggest disappointments:

1. Wintersun - The Forest Seasons. What the fuck was that? Well, we'll always have the debut.
2. Vandroya - Beyond the Human Mind. I thought this was going to be an easy entry into my top 10 but it just felt bland.
3. Iced Earth - Incorruptible. Better than Plagues of Babylon but that's not saying much.
4. Moonspell - 1755. It's not bad but didn't meet my expectations.
5. Ne Obliviscaris - Urn. It's a good album but doesn't come close to their other work.
I should get around to updating my signature
User

Monmisreal

Rank

Lieutenant

Tue May 11, 2010 3:09 pm

Palm Harbor, FL

by Monmisreal » Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:14 am

mooyagi wrote:2. Vandroya - Beyond the Human Mind. I thought this was going to be an easy entry into my top 10 but it just felt bland.

What the hell happened to Vandroya? I listened to 3 songs before I had to look up to make sure it was the same Vandroya. Just a terrible album.