Post Reply 60 posts
New horrendous forum
    bodomdragon
    Sub-Lieutenant

New horrendous forum

by bodomdragon » Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:22 am

Glad too see the priorities are clear, a new forum design is EXACTLY what we needed.

Important question, I can't really find the "jump to last read" button that we had before, and that I find ESSENTIAL. Is it seriously gone?
    Wishlist:
    Ad.Infinitum--Aephanemer--Alestorm--Anthriel--AVANTASIA--Axxis--
    Battle.Beast--Beast.in.Black--Belzebubs--Be'lakor--BEYOND.THE.BLACK--Borealis--BORKNAGAR--Brymir--Caligula's.Horse--CHAOSBAY--Countless.Skies--Crowne--Dimmu.Borgir--DGM--Distorted.Harmony--DragonForce--Dream.Theater--Eclipse.(Sweden)--ELECTRIC.CALLBOY--Ensiferum--Evergrey--FEUERSCHWANZ--Fractal.Gates--Freedom.Call--GAMMA.RAY--Haken--Hei'an--Helloween--In.Mourning--INSOMNIUM--Kamelot--Keep.Of.Kalessin--KISSIN'.DYNAMITE--MERCENARY--Moonsorrow--Ne.Obliviscaris--Orden.Ogan--Pretty.Maids--Powerglove--PYRAMAZE--SABATON--SEVENTH.WONDER--Shade.Empire--Skeletoon--SOEN--Subterranean.Masquerade--SYMPHONY.X--Tremonti--Trollfest--Unleash.The.Archers--VISIONS.OF.ATLANTIS--VOLA--Volbeat--VOYAGER--WIDEK--Wilderun--Wintersun

2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2023, 2024: Survivor

Unofficial 70K User Guide: https://70kguide.wordpress.com
    Pellaz
    Lieutenant

Re: New horrendous forum

by Pellaz » Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:25 am

bodomdragon wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:22 am Glad too see the priorities are clear, a new forum design is EXACTLY what we needed.

Important question, I can't really find the "jump to last read" button that we had before, and that I find ESSENTIAL. Is it seriously gone?
    I don't see it here either. LAME.
    2025 Wishlist:
    1349--Abbath--Abigail.Williams--Aephanemer--Agalloch--Agathodaimon--Alien.Weaponry--Allegaeon--Amon.Amarth--Amorphis--Animals.As.Leaders--Arkona--Arsis--Atrocity--Ayreon--Bal.Sagoth--Baroness--Barren.Earth--Battlelore--Behemoth--Below.7--Belzebubs--Be'lakor--Black.Crown.Initiate--Bloodbath--Borknagar--Broken.Trinity--Cannibal.Corpse--Chthe'ilist--CoF--Countless.Skies--Cynic--Demons.&.Wizards--Dimmu.Borgir--Dark.Tranquillity--Dragonforce--Edge.of.Sanity--Witherscape--anything.Dan.Swano--Eluveitie--Eneferens--Ensiferum--Enslaved--Eternal.Tears.of.Sorrow--Evergrey--Exmortus--Ex.Deo--Fear.Factory--Fires.In.the.Distance--Gojira--Graveworm--Green.Carnation--Hypocrisy--Immortal--Insomnium--Irreversible.Mechanism--Kalmah--Kamelot--Keep.Of.Kalessin--Korpiklaani--Kreator--Leprous--Luciferan.Light.Orchestra--Loss--Melechesh--Meshuggah--Mezarkabul--Moonspell--Mors.Principium.Est--Myrath--Ne.Obliviscaris--Nile--Nokturnal.Mortem--NorthTale--Novembers.Doom--Obscura--Old.Mans.Child--Opeth--Paladin--Poisonblack--Powerwolf--Primordial--Rapheumet's.Well--Raven--Rivers.Of.Nihil--Ryujin--Sabaton--Sadistic.Ritual--Samael--Satyricon--Savatage--Scale.the.Summit--Scorched.Moon--Septic.Flesh--Serious.Black--Seven.Spires--Sigh--Skalmold--Slough.Feg--Starkill--Steorrah--SYL--Suidakra--Summoning--Tarot--Therion--Thy.Serpent--Tomarum--Tomb.Mold--Turisas--Twilight.Force--Tyr--Vale.Of.Pnath--Valhalore--Vesania--Vintersorg--Wolfchant--Yyrkoon
    2015-2020; 2023-2024: Survivor
    2025: most likely
    Pellaz
    Lieutenant

by Pellaz » Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:32 am

In fact, I haven't found a way to "jump to last read" OR "jump to last post."
    I can't really envision a less user-friendly design for a forum.
    "Welcome back, sailor! Go ahead and load up the last page of each thread because you'll have to scroll through it to find any new posts." :roll:
    2025 Wishlist:
    1349--Abbath--Abigail.Williams--Aephanemer--Agalloch--Agathodaimon--Alien.Weaponry--Allegaeon--Amon.Amarth--Amorphis--Animals.As.Leaders--Arkona--Arsis--Atrocity--Ayreon--Bal.Sagoth--Baroness--Barren.Earth--Battlelore--Behemoth--Below.7--Belzebubs--Be'lakor--Black.Crown.Initiate--Bloodbath--Borknagar--Broken.Trinity--Cannibal.Corpse--Chthe'ilist--CoF--Countless.Skies--Cynic--Demons.&.Wizards--Dimmu.Borgir--Dark.Tranquillity--Dragonforce--Edge.of.Sanity--Witherscape--anything.Dan.Swano--Eluveitie--Eneferens--Ensiferum--Enslaved--Eternal.Tears.of.Sorrow--Evergrey--Exmortus--Ex.Deo--Fear.Factory--Fires.In.the.Distance--Gojira--Graveworm--Green.Carnation--Hypocrisy--Immortal--Insomnium--Irreversible.Mechanism--Kalmah--Kamelot--Keep.Of.Kalessin--Korpiklaani--Kreator--Leprous--Luciferan.Light.Orchestra--Loss--Melechesh--Meshuggah--Mezarkabul--Moonspell--Mors.Principium.Est--Myrath--Ne.Obliviscaris--Nile--Nokturnal.Mortem--NorthTale--Novembers.Doom--Obscura--Old.Mans.Child--Opeth--Paladin--Poisonblack--Powerwolf--Primordial--Rapheumet's.Well--Raven--Rivers.Of.Nihil--Ryujin--Sabaton--Sadistic.Ritual--Samael--Satyricon--Savatage--Scale.the.Summit--Scorched.Moon--Septic.Flesh--Serious.Black--Seven.Spires--Sigh--Skalmold--Slough.Feg--Starkill--Steorrah--SYL--Suidakra--Summoning--Tarot--Therion--Thy.Serpent--Tomarum--Tomb.Mold--Turisas--Twilight.Force--Tyr--Vale.Of.Pnath--Valhalore--Vesania--Vintersorg--Wolfchant--Yyrkoon
    DragonLordJones
    Lieutenant

by DragonLordJones » Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:36 am

this forum design sucks ---- almost as much as the t-shirt designs for almost every cruise - wtf :bitch: :bitch: :bitch: I don't know if I can do another year (if another year exist)
  • Godflesh
    Ensign

by Godflesh » Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:01 am

Tip: go to your UCP (User Control Panel), and select to show the most recent post first.
  • Godflesh
    Ensign

by Godflesh » Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:07 am

When you quote someone, you don’t see the names of who you quoted anymore, very confusing.
    At least I can now quote Andy with impunity...
  • Godflesh
    Ensign

by Godflesh » Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:10 am

I’ve sent a PM to an admin to warn about these issues, feel free to do the same.
  • Godflesh
    Ensign

by Godflesh » Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:17 am

Also, when composing messages or reading private messages, URLs show up as white text over a white background.
    bodomdragon
    Sub-Lieutenant

by bodomdragon » Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:14 am

This is fucking lame. I wonder if UMC can do things WORSE at this point in EVERY area.
    Wishlist:
    Battle.Beast--Beast.in.Black--Belzebubs--Be'lakor--BEYOND.THE.BLACK--Borealis--BORKNAGAR--Brymir--Caligula's.Horse--CHAOSBAY--Countless.Skies--Crowne--Dimmu.Borgir--DGM--Distorted.Harmony--DragonForce--Dream.Theater--Eclipse.(Sweden)--ELECTRIC.CALLBOY--Ensiferum--Evergrey--FEUERSCHWANZ--Fractal.Gates--Freedom.Call--GAMMA.RAY--Haken--Hei'an--Helloween--In.Mourning--INSOMNIUM--Kamelot--Keep.Of.Kalessin--KISSIN'.DYNAMITE--MERCENARY--Moonsorrow--Ne.Obliviscaris--Orden.Ogan--Pretty.Maids--Powerglove--PYRAMAZE--SABATON--SEVENTH.WONDER--Shade.Empire--Skeletoon--SOEN--Subterranean.Masquerade--SYMPHONY.X--Tremonti--Trollfest--Unleash.The.Archers--VISIONS.OF.ATLANTIS--VOLA--Volbeat--VOYAGER--WIDEK--Wilderun--Wintersun

• Godflesh
    Ensign

by Godflesh » Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:29 am

Guys, yes this is a disaster, but let’s help them help them :trashdrink:
    Please list everything you would like to see different in this thread.
    Amalu
    Chief Petty Officer

by Amalu » Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:56 am

Godflesh wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:29 am Guys, yes this is a disaster, but let’s help them help them :trashdrink:
    It is actually not that bad. A few minor problems, some of which are easily corrected. For the most part it is a very nice design refresh and looks and feels a lot more modern. I'm pretty sure that the rest of the website will follow, well... soon together with booking information and line-up.

We are getting closer the forum is just one step.

I know this as an IT project manager, every time you do an update that changes the UI users complain about it. People don't like change. ;)

Godflesh is right let's gather all the input we have about those minor problems here. But let's not call it a total disaster. It really is not.
  • Godflesh
    Ensign

by Godflesh » Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:01 am

Amalu wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:56 am
    Godflesh wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:29 am Guys, yes this is a disaster, but let’s help them help them :trashdrink:
    It is actually not that bad. A few minor problems, some of which are easily corrected. For the most part it is a very nice design refresh and looks and feels a lot more modern. I'm pretty sure that the rest of the website will follow, well... soon together with booking information and line-up.

We are getting closer the forum is just one step.

I know this as an IT project manager, every time you do an update that changes the UI users complain about it. People don't like change. ;)

Godflesh is right let's gather all the input we have about those minor problems here. But let's not call it a total disaster. It really is not.
    THANK YOU! But dude, how much did they pay you? I only got $1500?
  • Godflesh
    Ensign

by Godflesh » Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:07 am

Oh I see, you’re a newbie, so you’re trolling me.
    Well played!
    bodomdragon
    Sub-Lieutenant

by bodomdragon » Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:16 am

The very least that I need to make this forum at least functional is the jump to last read feature. The obvious way to do it would be enabling a link in the red dot that appears in the thread when there are unread messages, pretty much like it used to work.

I don't want to be too pessimistic or catastrofic here, but this feature is an absolute must to make this forum usable, and without it i'll most likely disappear from here or just read random messages.
    Wishlist:

• Phoenix
    Lieutenant

by Phoenix » Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:06 am

Gods this is ugly. Also, maybe I just need to clear my cache, but the mobile version still doesn't work. I had to view the desktop version of the site to see how bad it is.

And it's bad.

EDIT: Here we go. The mobile version seems slightly better than the desktop.

Survivor:
    Out for 2023
    Amalu
    Chief Petty Officer

by Amalu » Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:24 am

Godflesh wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:01 am I only got $1500?
    :shock: They said I was going to do voluntary work. Just for the good of humanity.

I have four issues with the re-design:
    - Jump to last read post
    - Display name in quotes
    - White color when composing messages
    - Loading time for certain threads as it seems to load all the content (including pics) before displaying anything. Before there was a progressive loading

I actually like the new UI although it takes some getting used to. But that is normal for such changes.
  • Godflesh
    Ensign

by Godflesh » Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:59 am

Also, the emphasis on the avatar pic on the right-hand side is new and brutal for most of us... #MeToo
  • deathmetalpat
    Ensign

by deathmetalpat » Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:09 am

Upside:It looks much better and is formatted for an iPad screen
    Downside:A few things,first off the preview screen has a bright white background field with the text in a color that is very very very pale gray .
    2012-14 Survivor
    2015-16 Abandoned Ship
    2017 Returned
    2018 Got a bad feeling about this Abandon Ship
    2019 This is Fucking Ridiculous
    2020 Bands ,what bands boat is all that matters
    2021 Yeah this isn’t happening
    Amalu
    Chief Petty Officer

by Amalu » Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:10 am

Godflesh wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:59 am Also, the emphasis on the avatar pic on the right-hand side is new and brutal for most of us... #MeToo
    Agree! Now the forum gives me the same bad sensations as my bathroom mirror. I had that mirror! It is evil! I'm positively sure that I am much more handsome then any photograph or mirror image of myself. :lol:
  • deathmetalpat
    Ensign

by deathmetalpat » Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:15 am

Not only does it look strange with an avatar picture,the online banner is behind the picture.While without one it isn’t.
    2012-14 Survivor
    2015-16 Abandoned Ship
    2017 Returned
  • Godflesh
    Ensign

by Godflesh » Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:17 am

Amalu wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:10 am
    Godflesh wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:59 am Also, the emphasis on the avatar pic on the right-hand side is new and brutal for most of us... #MeToo
    Agree! Now the forum gives me the same bad sensations as my bathroom mirror. I had that mirror! It is evil! I'm positively sure that I am much more handsome then any photograph or mirror image of myself. :lol:
    As long as you never tell which one holds your brain in your avatar pic, you’ll be fine.
  • Phoenix
    Lieutenant

by Phoenix » Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:45 am

Let's not joke about #MeToo please.

Also, I had NO idea what you were talking about until I logged on to my work computer. Mobile has the profile pictures in teeny tiny print above the post. Also, it does look quite nice on desktop, though the inky black void around all the posts is a bit bleak.

I think I agree with all of Amalu's complaints, but also adding that the smilies on the sidebar when you're making a post is horrific. Why do I need to scroll down so much to submit?

EDIT: oh, also I have to scroll up to get to the 70000 TONS OF METAL Home page button? WHY?

Survivor:
    Out for 2023
    Amalu
    Chief Petty Officer

by Amalu » Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:46 am

deathmetalpat wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:15 am Not only does it look strange with an avatar picture,the online banner is behind the picture.While without one it isn’t.
    Works fine for me: Image
  • SpaceSlug
    Crewman

by SpaceSlug » Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:48 am

Agree with all the complaints. Another annoying thing I did see listed yet is just the fact everything is so big and bloated.

The title of a thread... the most important piece of data is truncated after just a handful of characters. Sooo much real estate and yet I see 20 characters .....

Good times visiting the threads like "The Official Mega..." The Official Threa..." "The Unofficial Thre.."
  • Phoenix
    Lieutenant

by Phoenix » Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:48 am

Amalu wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:46 am
    deathmetalpat wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:15 am Not only does it look strange with an avatar picture,the online banner is behind the picture.While without one it isn’t.
    Works fine for me:
    Yeah, it doesn't work that way on mobile/iPad.

Survivor:
    Out for 2023
    slayergeek
    Midshipman

by slayergeek » Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:29 am

SpaceSlug wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:48 am Agree with all the complaints. Another annoying thing I did see listed yet is just the fact everything is so big and bloated.

The title of a thread... the most important piece of data is truncated after just a handful of characters. Sooo much real estate and yet I see 20 characters .....

Good times visiting the threads like "The Official Mega..." The Official Threa..." "The Unofficial Thre.."
    Yea, gotta agree with that one.
    Survivor
    • 2014,2015,2016,2017,2018,2019,2020,2023,2024,See_you_in_2025

Absolute_Darkness-Death/Thrash_Band_I_am_the_Singer/Guitarist_for
    • FacebookPage-https://www.facebook.com/BandAbsoluteDarkness

Thud_Bukit-Death/Comedy_Band_I_am_the_Singer/Guitarist/Drummer/Bassist_for
    • FacebookPage-https://www.facebook.com/Thud-Bukit-100960638505481

70k Bands - Unofficial iPhone/Android_app_of_the_70,000_tons_cruise
    WishList
    • Old_Man's_Child-/-Battle_Cross-/-Impaled-/-Dismember-/-Amon_Amarth-/-Dethklok-/-Gruesome-/-Rotten_Sound-/-As_Blood_Runs_Black-/-Through_The_Eyes_Of_The_Dead-/-Testament-/
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:50 am

I have my preferences set to post most recent on top, so that's fine when I'm logged in. Sometimes I just like to hop on without logging in and there used to be a button to jump to the most recent post for a topic. Is that gone now? I can't seem to find it. I would like that back.
    I should get around to updating my signature
    cegr80
    Lieutenant

by cegr80 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:16 am

I'm hoping this is a momentary version of this forum, for it is quite terrible

I agree we should help the forum team to improve this design with suggestions
    2017.2018.2019.2020.2023.2024.GOLD.Survivor|2025 Wishlist:1349-1914-Aephanemer-Akercoke-Alcest-Alkaloid-AnaalNathrakh-AnAbstractIllusion-Atvm-Avatar-Avslut-Be'lakor-Belzebubs-ChapelOfDisease-Chthonic-Darkthrone-DiabloSwingOrchestra-Dimmu Borgir-Dodheimsgard-Draconian-EternalTearsOfSorrow-FreakKitchen-Hamferd-IATT-LochVostok-Marduk-NocnyKochanek-Satyricon-Schammasch-Scour-Shining(Nor)-Sigh-SulphurAeon-Turisas-Ulver-Virvum-Watain-WhiteWard
    Amalu
    Chief Petty Officer

by Amalu » Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:22 pm

cegr80 wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:16 am I'm hoping this is a momentary version of this forum, for it is quite terrible
    Changes to the forum will follow #SOON ;)
  • Godflesh
    Ensign

by Godflesh » Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:01 pm

slayergeek wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:29 am
    SpaceSlug wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:48 am Agree with all the complaints. Another annoying thing I did see listed yet is just the fact everything is so big and bloated.

Yea, gotta agree with that one.
    Click the "hamburger" icon (3 horizontal stripes) and this goes away.
    DrinkMoxie
    Commander

by DrinkMoxie » Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:17 pm

yeah, this is super annoying... jumping to the last read is essential
    ACanorousQuintet-AblazeMySorrow-Acrassicauda-Aephanemer-Agalloch-Alligator-Amsvartner-Anacrusis-Anata-...AndOceans-AngelusApatrida-ArmoredSaint-Atoma-Bal*Sagoth-Bethzaida-BlackEarth-BlackKirin-BoltThrower-Borknagar-BurdenOfGrief-BuriedDreams-CallenishCircle-Candiria-CarBomb-Carcariass-CardinalSin-CarnalForge-CeremonialOath-Cloak-ComposMentis-ConditionCritical-Conjurer-CrestOfDarkness-Crisis-Crisix-Crowpath-Cryptosis-Cyclone-Dagon-Damaged-DarkAngel-Darkane-DaylightDies-Deadguy-Deep-DemolitionHammer-DescendIntoNothingness-DestroyJudas-Devastation-Devil'sForce-DewScented-DimensionF3H-DimensionZero-Dispatched-Downpour-Dyscarnate-EbonyTears-EdgeOfSanity-End-EndOfGreen-EphelDuath-EpochOfUnlight-EternalLies-EternalTearsOfSorrow-Eucharist-Euphoreon-Excretion-Exhorder-EyesOfFire-FallOfSerenity-FiresInTheDistance-Firewind-Flying-Folkearth-FragmentsOfUnbecoming-FrostyEve-Gardenian-GatesOfIshtar-Gnostic-GodForbid-Gojira-GospelOfTheWitches-Graveripper-GreenCarnation-GreySkiesFallen-Greywalker-Grimfist-Hacride-Hinayana-Host-Hypocrisy-Illogicist-Impious-In~Quest-InThousandLakes-InThyDreams-InsanityAlert-Itself-Jaldaboath-JulieLaughsNomore-Kull-LakeOfTears-LegionOfTheDamned-LightThisCity-LordHumungous-Majesties-ManipulatedSlaves-MeadowsEnd-MentalHome-Mindrot-Minsk-Miscreant-MMXX-MorbidSaint-Morgion-MortalVision-MotherOfAll-MyHiddenSin-Myrath-NailWithin-NeglectedFields-Neurosis-NightInGales-Nightfall-Norther-Nostromo-Nothgard-Nothnegal-November17-Nyktophobia-Onslaught-Oubliette-Powerwolf-PreHumanVaults-ReArmed-RedHarvest-RitualSacrifice-RiverBlack-Sacrifice-Sadus-SamBlackChurch-Scarve-Seducer'sEmbrace-SevendayCurse-Shadow-ShadowsFall-Shangren-ShoresOfIthaka-Sigh-Sikasa-Silva-SinsOfOmission-SkidRow(w/SebastianBach)-Skyfire-Slumber-Solefald-SolemnVision-Solstice-SpiralArchitect-StarViper-SubterraneanMasquerade-SuicidalTendencies-TerraOdium-Terror2000-Testament-TheAbsence-TheCircle-TheCrown-TheForsaken-TheExcrementoryGrindfuckers-TheZephyr-ThisEnding-Tribulation-UnleashTheArchers-UponStone-ViciousBlade-Vinterland-Vintersorg-Warmen-Whispered-Whitesnake-WhiteZombie-WitheredBeauty-WitheringSurface-Witherscape-WithoutGrief-Wraith-XCops-Xentrix-Zimmer'sHole

cabin 3013 (2012)
    cabin 9560 (2014)
    cabin 8671 (2015)
    cabin 7313 (2017)
    cabin 6525 (2018)
    cabin 2376 (2024)
    cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:29 pm

And my god these new large avatars are scary.

YOU IS ALL UGLY!!

Except Phoenix :)
    Upcoming Gigs:
    -/-Scar-Symmetry-/-Wind-Rose-/-Unleash-The-Archers-/-Amaranthe
    2025 Wishlist
    Ad-Infinitum-/-Aephanemer-/-All-For-Metal-/-Alterium-/-Ancient-Bards-/-Atlas-Pain-/-Avantasia-/-Battlelore-/Beast-In-Black-/-Believer-/-Beyond-The-Black-/-Brothers-of-Metal-/-Catalyst-Crime-/-Civil-War-/-Circus-Maximus-/-Claymorean-/-Cobra-Spell-/-Dark-Moor-/-Dark-Sarah-/-Dartagnan-/-Diabulus-In-Musica-/-Edguy-/-Ex-Libris-/-Exit-Eden-/-Fellowship-/-Follow-The-Cipher-/-Frozen-Crown-/-Galderia-/-Hammer-King-/-Heavatar-/-Ignea-/-Imperial-Age-/-In-This-Moment-/-Jaldaboath-/-Kaledon-/-Labyrinth-/-Living-Sacrifice-/-Metalite-/-Moonlight-Haze-/-Neopera-/-Nestor-/-Nocturna-/-Orden-Ogan-/-Pathfinder-/-Phantom-Elite-/-Poisonblack-/-Power-Paladin-/-Powerwolf-/-The-Privateer-/-Rexoria-/-Running-Wild-/-She-Wolf-/-Silver-Bullet-/-Sleeping-Romance-/-Sojourner-/-Tarot-/-Ten-/-Thaurorod-/-The-Big-Deal-/-The-Dark-Element-/-Trick-or-Treat-/-Trillium-/-Unisonic-/-Valhalore-/-Vanishing-Point-/-Volturian-/-Walk-In-Darkness-/-Within-Temptation
  • Ti7aNiC
    Crewman

by Ti7aNiC » Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:56 pm

Also an IT Manager/Professional. Rule of life in IT: everyone always hates change, no matter what it is or how much good is involved.

This is clearly not just an upgrade, but an entire new engine. I have no idea how far behind our old forum was, but my guess would be years. This seems vastly superior to me. I wonder if we are due for a new website... that was my prediction :)

These kind of forums have countless styles to choose from and hundreds of extensions. This is probably just the newest/compatible style to the one the old forum was. Probably just needs a number of Admin settings specified and maybe extensions added to make it look damn close to the old one. But the question is, does the IT team care about these little differences? Most likely no, haha.
    Survivor:
    70K 2016, 70K 2017, 70K 2018, 70K 2019, & 70K 2020
    70K 2023?

C A P E   B R E T O N
    C A N A D A

#fuckNewguyme
    Amalu
    Chief Petty Officer

by Amalu » Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:59 pm

Ti7aNiC wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:56 pm Also an IT Manager/Professional. Rule of life in IT: everyone always hates change, no matter what it is or how much good is involved.

This is clearly not just an upgrade, but an entire new engine. I have no idea how far behind our old forum was, but my guess would be years. This seems vastly superior to me. I wonder if we are due for a new website... that was my prediction :)
    Wouldn't surprise me if the website was updated as a whole as well. The new logo is not yet on the page. I would guess that one comes with the go live of the new page.

And yeah every change we do as IT professionals always comes with a lot of mumbling about how the old was better.

I agree with you, the new forum engine is far better and surely offers a lot more options, especially on the admin side.
    bodomdragon
    Sub-Lieutenant

by bodomdragon » Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:12 am

Jump to last read. Please. Seriously. This forum is currently unusable.
    Wishlist:

• Phoenix
    Lieutenant

by Phoenix » Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:58 am

bodomdragon wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:12 am Jump to last read. Please. Seriously. This forum is currently unusable.
    Yeah, I tried Godflesh's suggestion of turning all the posts to display newest first but it's not great. Would prefer a jump to last post button at least.

Survivor:
    Out for 2023
    Pellaz
    Lieutenant

by Pellaz » Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:29 am

Let's hope that this new forum engine has administrative settings to enable such basic, critical features as "jump to last post" or "go to first new post in a thread" or "include person's name when quoted."

Y'all can try to sugarcoat this all you'd like. Yes, clearly, they changed this over to be more compatible with mobile devices. But, as currently configured, their choice of forum engine STINKS. :evil:
    2025 Wishlist:
    mbob
    Chief Petty Officer

by mbob » Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:27 pm

If you click on the Quick Links menu above it gives you an option to view Unread Posts.
    2015 - Survivor...Finally! (8320)
    2016 - Survivor (2292)
    2017 - Survivor (9618)
    2018 - Survivor (9678)
    2019 - Survivor (9272)
    2020 - Retired
    2021 - COVID
    2022 - COVID

2023 - Retired
    2024 - Retired

2025 - Maybe time to come out of 70K retirement!
  • deathmetalpat
    Ensign

by deathmetalpat » Fri Aug 31, 2018 2:26 pm

Busy topic threads take forever to load and that ‘glowing orb”thingy while it is loading ,what is the technical name for that?
    2012-14 Survivor
    2015-16 Abandoned Ship
    2017 Returned
    mbob
    Chief Petty Officer

by mbob » Fri Aug 31, 2018 2:39 pm

deathmetalpat wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 2:26 pm Busy topic threads take forever to load and that ‘glowing orb”thingy while it is loading ,what is the technical name for that?
    The Orb of Osuvox!
    2015 - Survivor...Finally! (8320)
    2016 - Survivor (2292)
    2017 - Survivor (9618)
    2018 - Survivor (9678)
    2019 - Survivor (9272)
    2020 - Retired
    2021 - COVID
    2022 - COVID

2023 - Retired
    2024 - Retired

2025 - Maybe time to come out of 70K retirement!
Post Reply 60 posts