Post Reply 2038 posts
The Official 70000TONS OF METAL 2019 Megathread
    slayergeek
    Midshipman

Re: A New Day Reaches Dawn

by slayergeek » Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:13 am

praey wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:54 am Still holding out for The Crown, though I guess based on TBDM that’d require a “T” hint. But a man can hope.

Other than that, Cytotoxin would be cool I guess. Or Condor.
    You and me both. There are still bands to be announced, so even if it is not the next one, as long as it happens.
    Survivor
    • 2014,2015,2016,2017,2018,2019,2020,2023,2024,See_you_in_2025

Absolute_Darkness-Death/Thrash_Band_I_am_the_Singer/Guitarist_for
    • FacebookPage-https://www.facebook.com/BandAbsoluteDarkness

Thud_Bukit-Death/Comedy_Band_I_am_the_Singer/Guitarist/Drummer/Bassist_for
    • FacebookPage-https://www.facebook.com/Thud-Bukit-100960638505481

70k Bands - Unofficial iPhone/Android_app_of_the_70,000_tons_cruise
    WishList
    • Old_Man's_Child-/-Battle_Cross-/-Impaled-/-Dismember-/-Amon_Amarth-/-Dethklok-/-Gruesome-/-Rotten_Sound-/-As_Blood_Runs_Black-/-Through_The_Eyes_Of_The_Dead-/-Testament-/
    Ethrivas
    Chief Petty Officer

by Ethrivas » Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:18 am

praey wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:54 am Still holding out for The Crown, though I guess based on TBDM that’d require a “T” hint. But a man can hope.

Other than that, Cytotoxin would be cool I guess. Or Condor.
    Same here, crossing my fingers. Announcements screwed up at so many levels this year, so they can make another mistake and classify The Crown as C.
    Wishlist 2025:1914-/-Ablaze.My.Sorrow-/-AEPHANEMER-/-Aeternam-/-AETHERIAN-/-AGATHODAIMON-/-ALESTORM-/-ALLEGAEON-/-AMORPHIS-/-ANAAL.NATHRAKH-/-Amon.Amarth-/-Avatar-/-Behemoth-/-BE'LAKOR-/-Belzebubs-/-BLACKBRAID-/-BRYMIR-/-CLOAK-/-Cryptosis-/-Dååth-/-Dark.Oath-/-DESTINITY-/-DIMMU.BORGIR-/-Ensiferum-/-ETERNAL.TEARS.OF.SORROW-/-Finntroll-/-Foretoken-/-Gaerea-/-GROZA-/-Hypocrisy-/-Ignea-/-IMMORTAL-/-In.Aphelion-/-Kalmah-/-Kanonenfieber-/-King.of.Asgard-/-KVAEN-/-Lucifer's.Child-/-MELECHESH-/-Mezarkabul(Pentagram)-/-MGŁA-/-MOONSHADE-/-MÖRK.GRYNING-/-NAILED.TO.OBSCURITY-/-Necrophobic-/-NETHERBIRD-/-Orbit.Culture-/-OUROBOROS-/-PERPETUAL.NIGHT-/-PSYCROPTIC-/-Rhapsody(Turilli-Lione)-/-SATYRICON-/-SHADE.EMPIRE-/-SHYLMAGOGHNAR-/-SODOMISERY-/-STORTREGN-/-Stratovarius-/-SYLOSIS-/-Testament-/-THE.COMMITTEE-/-THE.CROWN-/-THE.SEER-/-THE.SPIRIT-/-THULCANDRA-/-Tryglav-/-TRIBULATION-/-Trivium-/-Turisas-/-Ulfven-/-Unanimated-/-VREID-/-Warbringer-/-Whispered-/-Wintersun-/-WORMWITCH-/-WORMWOOD-/-Zornheym
    2018, 2019, 2020, 2024: Survivor
    2023: Skip year
    jeyrow
    Petty Officer

by jeyrow » Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:22 am

it seems that the trend is to repeat bands 2017-2016

What's about Cripper bands?
    70000Tons - 2015 - 7307
    70000Tons - 2016 - 7531
    70000Tons - 2017 - 6231
    70000Tons - 2018 - No
    70000Tons - 2019 - 6131
    70000Tons - 2020 - No
  • Andy
    THE SKIPPER

Losing Your Sense of Sanity

by Andy » Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:44 pm

Don't worry if you feel the need to CONVULSE! We're only a few weeks away from embarking on Round 9 of The Original, The World's Biggest Heavy Metal Cruise. If you do not have you spot secured for 70000TONS OF METAL make sure to join our waiting list.

How many of you have begun to prepare for this "V"oyage?

slayergeek
    Midshipman

Re: Losing Your Sense of Sanity

by slayergeek » Sat Dec 29, 2018 1:23 pm

Andy wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:44 pm Don't worry if you feel the need to CONVULSE! We're only a few weeks away from embarking on Round 9 of The Original, The World's Biggest Heavy Metal Cruise. If you do not have you spot secured for 70000TONS OF METAL make sure to join our waiting list.

How many of you have begun to prepare for this "V"oyage?

I've heard rummers that Vio-lence might be resurrecting themselves. I would have expected Bay Area shows first, but seeing them on board would be SUPER awesome!
    Survivor
    • 2014,2015,2016,2017,2018,2019,2020,2023,2024,See_you_in_2025

Absolute_Darkness-Death/Thrash_Band_I_am_the_Singer/Guitarist_for
    • FacebookPage-https://www.facebook.com/BandAbsoluteDarkness

Thud_Bukit-Death/Comedy_Band_I_am_the_Singer/Guitarist/Drummer/Bassist_for
    • FacebookPage-https://www.facebook.com/Thud-Bukit-100960638505481

70k Bands - Unofficial iPhone/Android_app_of_the_70,000_tons_cruise
    WishList
    • Old_Man's_Child-/-Battle_Cross-/-Impaled-/-Dismember-/-Amon_Amarth-/-Dethklok-/-Gruesome-/-Rotten_Sound-/-As_Blood_Runs_Black-/-Through_The_Eyes_Of_The_Dead-/-Testament-/
    acidbasement
    Chief Petty Officer

by acidbasement » Sat Dec 29, 2018 1:27 pm

I don't know Convulse. Will check them out.

If Vintersorg are next I will buy everyone a slice at Sorrento's.
    I'm only here to do two things: play the bagpipes and gargle sulphuric acid. Looks like we're almost out of acid.
    cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Sat Dec 29, 2018 3:38 pm

Van Canto, Valhalore or Visigoth would be awesome.
    Upcoming Gigs:
    -/-Scar-Symmetry-/-Wind-Rose-/-Unleash-The-Archers-/-Amaranthe
    2025 Wishlist
    Ad-Infinitum-/-Aephanemer-/-All-For-Metal-/-Alterium-/-Ancient-Bards-/-Atlas-Pain-/-Avantasia-/-Battlelore-/Beast-In-Black-/-Believer-/-Beyond-The-Black-/-Brothers-of-Metal-/-Catalyst-Crime-/-Civil-War-/-Circus-Maximus-/-Claymorean-/-Cobra-Spell-/-Dark-Moor-/-Dark-Sarah-/-Dartagnan-/-Diabulus-In-Musica-/-Edguy-/-Ex-Libris-/-Exit-Eden-/-Fellowship-/-Follow-The-Cipher-/-Frozen-Crown-/-Galderia-/-Hammer-King-/-Heavatar-/-Ignea-/-Imperial-Age-/-In-This-Moment-/-Jaldaboath-/-Kaledon-/-Labyrinth-/-Living-Sacrifice-/-Metalite-/-Moonlight-Haze-/-Neopera-/-Nestor-/-Nocturna-/-Orden-Ogan-/-Pathfinder-/-Phantom-Elite-/-Poisonblack-/-Power-Paladin-/-Powerwolf-/-The-Privateer-/-Rexoria-/-Running-Wild-/-She-Wolf-/-Silver-Bullet-/-Sleeping-Romance-/-Sojourner-/-Tarot-/-Ten-/-Thaurorod-/-The-Big-Deal-/-The-Dark-Element-/-Trick-or-Treat-/-Trillium-/-Unisonic-/-Valhalore-/-Vanishing-Point-/-Volturian-/-Walk-In-Darkness-/-Within-Temptation
    cegr80
    Lieutenant

by cegr80 » Sat Dec 29, 2018 6:01 pm

First time I hear about Convulse. Checking their debut album, sounds like old Amorphis.

I'm dry on V (ain't that the story of my life?)
    2017.2018.2019.2020.2023.2024.GOLD.Survivor|2025 Wishlist:1349-1914-Aephanemer-Akercoke-Alcest-Alkaloid-AnaalNathrakh-AnAbstractIllusion-Atvm-Avatar-Avslut-Be'lakor-Belzebubs-ChapelOfDisease-Chthonic-Darkthrone-DiabloSwingOrchestra-Dimmu Borgir-Dodheimsgard-Draconian-EternalTearsOfSorrow-FreakKitchen-Hamferd-IATT-LochVostok-Marduk-NocnyKochanek-Satyricon-Schammasch-Scour-Shining(Nor)-Sigh-SulphurAeon-Turisas-Ulver-Virvum-Watain-WhiteWard
    cegr80
    Lieutenant

by cegr80 » Sat Dec 29, 2018 8:00 pm

Convulse's second album is completely different, sounds more like doom/stoner/punk. Third album is back to death metal. I find them intriguing
    2017.2018.2019.2020.2023.2024.GOLD.Survivor|2025 Wishlist:1349-1914-Aephanemer-Akercoke-Alcest-Alkaloid-AnaalNathrakh-AnAbstractIllusion-Atvm-Avatar-Avslut-Be'lakor-Belzebubs-ChapelOfDisease-Chthonic-Darkthrone-DiabloSwingOrchestra-Dimmu Borgir-Dodheimsgard-Draconian-EternalTearsOfSorrow-FreakKitchen-Hamferd-IATT-LochVostok-Marduk-NocnyKochanek-Satyricon-Schammasch-Scour-Shining(Nor)-Sigh-SulphurAeon-Turisas-Ulver-Virvum-Watain-WhiteWard
    Pellaz
    Lieutenant

by Pellaz » Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:49 pm

acidbasement wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 1:27 pm I don't know Convulse. Will check them out.

If Vintersorg are next I will buy everyone a slice at Sorrento's.
    Same here. Free pizza for EVERYONE!
    2025 Wishlist:
    1349--Abbath--Abigail.Williams--Aephanemer--Agalloch--Agathodaimon--Alien.Weaponry--Allegaeon--Amon.Amarth--Amorphis--Animals.As.Leaders--Arkona--Arsis--Atrocity--Ayreon--Bal.Sagoth--Baroness--Barren.Earth--Battlelore--Behemoth--Below.7--Belzebubs--Be'lakor--Black.Crown.Initiate--Bloodbath--Borknagar--Broken.Trinity--Cannibal.Corpse--Chthe'ilist--CoF--Countless.Skies--Cynic--Demons.&.Wizards--Dimmu.Borgir--Dark.Tranquillity--Dragonforce--Edge.of.Sanity--Witherscape--anything.Dan.Swano--Eluveitie--Eneferens--Ensiferum--Enslaved--Eternal.Tears.of.Sorrow--Evergrey--Exmortus--Ex.Deo--Fear.Factory--Fires.In.the.Distance--Gojira--Graveworm--Green.Carnation--Hypocrisy--Immortal--Insomnium--Irreversible.Mechanism--Kalmah--Kamelot--Keep.Of.Kalessin--Korpiklaani--Kreator--Leprous--Luciferan.Light.Orchestra--Loss--Melechesh--Meshuggah--Mezarkabul--Moonspell--Mors.Principium.Est--Myrath--Ne.Obliviscaris--Nile--Nokturnal.Mortem--NorthTale--Novembers.Doom--Obscura--Old.Mans.Child--Opeth--Paladin--Poisonblack--Powerwolf--Primordial--Rapheumet's.Well--Raven--Rivers.Of.Nihil--Ryujin--Sabaton--Sadistic.Ritual--Samael--Satyricon--Savatage--Scale.the.Summit--Scorched.Moon--Septic.Flesh--Serious.Black--Seven.Spires--Sigh--Skalmold--Slough.Feg--Starkill--Steorrah--SYL--Suidakra--Summoning--Tarot--Therion--Thy.Serpent--Tomarum--Tomb.Mold--Turisas--Twilight.Force--Tyr--Vale.Of.Pnath--Valhalore--Vesania--Vintersorg--Wolfchant--Yyrkoon
    2015-2020; 2023-2024: Survivor
    2025: most likely
    Ethrivas
    Chief Petty Officer

by Ethrivas » Sun Dec 30, 2018 4:33 am

cegr80 wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 6:01 pm First time I hear about Convulse. Checking their debut album, sounds like old Amorphis.

I'm dry on V (ain't that the story of my life?)
    :D

Vreid please.
    Wishlist 2025:1914-/-Ablaze.My.Sorrow-/-AEPHANEMER-/-Aeternam-/-AETHERIAN-/-AGATHODAIMON-/-ALESTORM-/-ALLEGAEON-/-AMORPHIS-/-ANAAL.NATHRAKH-/-Amon.Amarth-/-Avatar-/-Behemoth-/-BE'LAKOR-/-Belzebubs-/-BLACKBRAID-/-BRYMIR-/-CLOAK-/-Cryptosis-/-Dååth-/-Dark.Oath-/-DESTINITY-/-DIMMU.BORGIR-/-Ensiferum-/-ETERNAL.TEARS.OF.SORROW-/-Finntroll-/-Foretoken-/-Gaerea-/-GROZA-/-Hypocrisy-/-Ignea-/-IMMORTAL-/-In.Aphelion-/-Kalmah-/-Kanonenfieber-/-King.of.Asgard-/-KVAEN-/-Lucifer's.Child-/-MELECHESH-/-Mezarkabul(Pentagram)-/-MGŁA-/-MOONSHADE-/-MÖRK.GRYNING-/-NAILED.TO.OBSCURITY-/-Necrophobic-/-NETHERBIRD-/-Orbit.Culture-/-OUROBOROS-/-PERPETUAL.NIGHT-/-PSYCROPTIC-/-Rhapsody(Turilli-Lione)-/-SATYRICON-/-SHADE.EMPIRE-/-SHYLMAGOGHNAR-/-SODOMISERY-/-STORTREGN-/-Stratovarius-/-SYLOSIS-/-Testament-/-THE.COMMITTEE-/-THE.CROWN-/-THE.SEER-/-THE.SPIRIT-/-THULCANDRA-/-Tryglav-/-TRIBULATION-/-Trivium-/-Turisas-/-Ulfven-/-Unanimated-/-VREID-/-Warbringer-/-Whispered-/-Wintersun-/-WORMWITCH-/-WORMWOOD-/-Zornheym
    2018, 2019, 2020, 2024: Survivor
    2023: Skip year
  • Andy
    THE SKIPPER

Voices Of Reason

by Andy » Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:39 pm

VAN CANTO will bring their unique brand of acapella Heavy Metal onbroad 70000TONS OF METAL, The Original, The World’s Biggest Heavy Metal Cruise!

If you do not have your spot secured for Round 9 make sure to sign up for our Waiting List! There is always a chance that some unfortunate Sailors will need to drop out of their reservation with us next January. Sign up now for your best chance to secure a booking as we contact Waiting List requests in the order that we receive them.

You will most definitely be kicking yourself if you do not find yourself sailing under the glowing "C"aribbean sun next January...

• Godflesh
    Ensign

Re: Voices Of Reason

by Godflesh » Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:03 pm

Andy wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:39 pm VAN CANTO will bring their unique brand of acapella Heavy Metal onbroad 70000TONS OF METAL, The Original, The World’s Biggest Heavy Metal Cruise!

If you do not have your spot secured for Round 9 make sure to sign up for our Waiting List! There is always a chance that some unfortunate Sailors will need to drop out of their reservation with us next January. Sign up now for your best chance to secure a booking as we contact Waiting List requests in the order that we receive them.

You will most definitely be kicking yourself if you do not find yourself sailing under the glowing "C"aribbean sun next January...

cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:08 pm

AWESOME!!! LOVE THESE KIDS :)
    Upcoming Gigs:
    2025 Wishlist
    Ad-Infinitum-/-Aephanemer-/-All-For-Metal-/-Alterium-/-Ancient-Bards-/-Atlas-Pain-/-Avantasia-/-Battlelore-/Beast-In-Black-/-Believer-/-Beyond-The-Black-/-Brothers-of-Metal-/-Catalyst-Crime-/-Civil-War-/-Circus-Maximus-/-Claymorean-/-Cobra-Spell-/-Dark-Moor-/-Dark-Sarah-/-Dartagnan-/-Diabulus-In-Musica-/-Edguy-/-Ex-Libris-/-Exit-Eden-/-Fellowship-/-Follow-The-Cipher-/-Frozen-Crown-/-Galderia-/-Hammer-King-/-Heavatar-/-Ignea-/-Imperial-Age-/-In-This-Moment-/-Jaldaboath-/-Kaledon-/-Labyrinth-/-Living-Sacrifice-/-Metalite-/-Moonlight-Haze-/-Neopera-/-Nestor-/-Nocturna-/-Orden-Ogan-/-Pathfinder-/-Phantom-Elite-/-Poisonblack-/-Power-Paladin-/-Powerwolf-/-The-Privateer-/-Rexoria-/-Running-Wild-/-She-Wolf-/-Silver-Bullet-/-Sleeping-Romance-/-Sojourner-/-Tarot-/-Ten-/-Thaurorod-/-The-Big-Deal-/-The-Dark-Element-/-Trick-or-Treat-/-Trillium-/-Unisonic-/-Valhalore-/-Vanishing-Point-/-Volturian-/-Walk-In-Darkness-/-Within-Temptation
    acidbasement
    Chief Petty Officer

by acidbasement » Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:24 pm

Fuck yes! :bangers:
    I'm only here to do two things: play the bagpipes and gargle sulphuric acid. Looks like we're almost out of acid.
    jeyrow
    Petty Officer

by jeyrow » Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:36 pm

Andy wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:39 pm VAN CANTO will bring their unique brand of acapella Heavy Metal onbroad 70000TONS OF METAL, The Original, The World’s Biggest Heavy Metal Cruise!

Hell yes!!!! Great announce
    70000Tons - 2015 - 7307
    70000Tons - 2016 - 7531
    70000Tons - 2017 - 6231
    70000Tons - 2018 - No
    70000Tons - 2019 - 6131
    70000Tons - 2020 - No
    cegr80
    Lieutenant

by cegr80 » Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:54 pm

The butthurt reactions on Facebook are golden. I always laughed with their cover of Battery. They might be fun to watch, we'll see. I'll try catching at least one set. Worst case scenario, I leave before they finish.
  • Phoenix
    Lieutenant

by Phoenix » Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:01 pm

I knew Dallas would like that one :D

Chthonic next, dammit!

Survivor:
    Out for 2023
    cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:31 pm

Phoenix wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:01 pm I knew Dallas would like that one :D

Chthonic next, dammit!
    REALLY stoked for this announcement :)

I really don't care if the final 18 bands are all thrash/death now :P

I have four TRUE 'bucket list' bands (Accept, Unleash the Archers, Van Canto and MaYan) on this lineup. First time in I'm not sure how many years that I can say that - probably since the 2012 cruise.

And with 16 bands now that I'd love to catch both sets of, along with all the others that I'd like to see at least 1 set, well I'll be struggling to do all that as it is :P
    Upcoming Gigs:
    2025 Wishlist
    Gratch
    Chief Petty Officer

by Gratch » Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:52 pm

Hey, I’ve never heard of Van Canto, let’s go check them out

::pulls up Van Canto on YouTube, clicks on “Battery”::

What. The fuck. Was that?! Are they seriously going “rin-diddle-rin-din” to simulate guitars? I literally burst out laughing.

Im guessing this announcement is the goofy joke band for this year, right?
    Survivor 2016/17/18/19/20

Ultimate Wishlist Bands
    Anaal Nathrakh - Behemoth - Igorrr - Khemmis - Myrkur - The Ocean - Pallbearer - Sigh - Tribulation - Sentient Horror - Turisas - Wilderun - Witherscape - Zeal & Ardor
    cegr80
    Lieutenant

by cegr80 » Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:45 pm

Phoenix wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:01 pmChthonic next, dammit!
    Yes, woman!
  • Godflesh
    Ensign

Re: 2 MONTHS!

by Godflesh » Mon Dec 31, 2018 1:28 am

Godflesh wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:12 pm
    cegr80 wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:46 pm
    Godflesh wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:29 am For the last three years, exactly 16 bands have been announced in January, each year.

Does this mean we should get 6 bands before the end of the year?
    Past performance is not indicative of future results.
    To meet past performance, two bands would need to be announced in the next 24 hours, and that precludes a 61st band.
    If I were Andy, I would do both, just because no one would expect it. Except I just did :mrgreen:
  • Bolt_Thrower
    Petty Officer

by Bolt_Thrower » Mon Dec 31, 2018 2:18 am

Van Canto? I sure hope Orange Goblin or Saint Vitus were unavailable.
    Hoppy McGee
    Chief Petty Officer

by Hoppy McGee » Mon Dec 31, 2018 4:57 am

I'm happy that some people are getting an announcement they are excited about. But I have zero interest in this one. I thought 70K didn't do cover bands? (Yes...yes I know that's a harsh assessment since they do lots of original songs but I wonder...if it wasnt for all the cover songs would this band even be on anyone's radar?).

On the topic of cover bands.... I'd actually be pretty stoked if something like Iron Maidens ever got added.

For the next "C" my fingers are crossed for Cattle Decapitation, Carcass or Cloak.
    70k 2016 Cabin 9399
    70k 2017 Cabin 2364
    70k 2018 Cabin 9678
    70K 2019 Cabin 2358
    MY.LITTLE.WISHLIST_____**CAPS=MOST.WANTED**
    /-3.Inches.of.Blood.(Reunion)-/1914-/-ABBATH-/-Abysmal.Dawn-/-ALLEGAEON-/-AMON.AMARTH-/-Amorphis-/-ARCHSPIRE-/-Armored.Saint-/-Asphyx-/-At.the.Gates-/-AUTOPSY-/-Battlelore-/-Behemoth-/-BE'LAKOR-/-Black.Crown.Initiate-/-Black.Fast-/-Bölzer-/-CARCASS-/-CATTLE.DECAPITATION-/-Cloak-/-Craven.Idol-/-Crypt.Sermon-/-Critical.Mess-/-DARK.FORTRESS-/-Dark.Tranquillity-/-Death.Angel-/-Demolition.Hammer-/-Demonical-/-Desaster-/-Deserted.Fear-/-DESTROYER.666-/-DISMEMBER-/-Draconian-/-Drakwald-/-DYING.FETUS-/-Dyscarnate-/-Gatecreeper-/-Finntroll-/-GHOUL-/-Goatwhore-/-GOJIRA-/-Gorod-/-Grave-/-Gruesome-/-Harakiri.for.the.Sky-/-Hath-/-High.on.Fire-/-Hooded.Menace-/-HORRENDOUS-/-Horrified-/-HYPOCRISY-/-Immolation-/-Inanimate.Existence-/-Insomnium-/-Jungle.Rot-/-Kaoteon-/-Katatonia-/-Keep.of.Kalessin-/-Khemmis-/-King.Goat-/-King.of.Asgard-/-Lacuna.Coil-/-LEGION.OF.THE.DAMNED-/-LIK-/-Magic.Circle-/-Mammoth.Grinder-/-Master-/-Mastodon-/-MGLA-/-MIDNIGHT-/-MISERY.INDEX-/-Moonspell-/-My.Dying.Bride-/-Necrophobic-/-Necrot-/-Okkultist-/-Orange.Goblin-/-Ossuarium-/-Outre.Tomb-/-Possessed-/-Powerwolf-/-PRIMORDIAL-/-Protector-/-Psycroptic-/-Revocation-/-Ripper-/-Rivers.of.Nihil-/-Rotting.Christ-/-Ruby.the.Hatchet-/-Sacred.Monster-/-SATAN-/-Skálmöld-/-Skeletal.Remains-/-SOEN-/-SULPHUR.AEON-/-Taake-/-TANKARD-/-Temple.of.Void-/-Testament-/-The.Crown-/-THULCANDRA-/-Thyrfing-/-Tomb.Mold-/-Tribulation-/-Uada-/-Unleashed-/-VADER-/-Venom.Inc.-/-Watain-/-Xentrix/{white=booked}/{red=ruled.out}
    AstridDragon
    Petty Officer

by AstridDragon » Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:32 am

cegr80 wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:54 pm The butthurt reactions on Facebook are golden. I always laughed with their cover of Battery. They might be fun to watch, we'll see. I'll try catching at least one set. Worst case scenario, I leave before they finish.
    I'm with you on that. I don't love them, but they might be fun to see live, I'll check em out for a little.

My brother LOVES them though, wish I could sneak him in my luggage for this, ha.
    DragonLordJones
    Lieutenant

by DragonLordJones » Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:23 pm

Please let the "C" band be Critical Mess :beerhorns: :3drunks:
    Pellaz
    Lieutenant

by Pellaz » Mon Dec 31, 2018 1:34 pm

cegr80 wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:54 pm The butthurt reactions on Facebook are golden. I always laughed with their cover of Battery. They might be fun to watch, we'll see. I'll try catching at least one set. Worst case scenario, I leave before they finish.
    That's exactly what I was thinking. I've seen some pretty awesome acapella performances in my time (the Celtic ensemble Pandora Celtica comes to mind) so we'll see.

Also, I know we'll NEVER see Van Canto here in Atlanta at ProgPower USA, so 70K it is. :mrgreen:
    2025 Wishlist:
    1349--Abbath--Abigail.Williams--Aephanemer--Agalloch--Agathodaimon--Alien.Weaponry--Allegaeon--Amon.Amarth--Amorphis--Animals.As.Leaders--Arkona--Arsis--Atrocity--Ayreon--Bal.Sagoth--Baroness--Barren.Earth--Battlelore--Behemoth--Below.7--Belzebubs--Be'lakor--Black.Crown.Initiate--Bloodbath--Borknagar--Broken.Trinity--Cannibal.Corpse--Chthe'ilist--CoF--Countless.Skies--Cynic--Demons.&.Wizards--Dimmu.Borgir--Dark.Tranquillity--Dragonforce--Edge.of.Sanity--Witherscape--anything.Dan.Swano--Eluveitie--Eneferens--Ensiferum--Enslaved--Eternal.Tears.of.Sorrow--Evergrey--Exmortus--Ex.Deo--Fear.Factory--Fires.In.the.Distance--Gojira--Graveworm--Green.Carnation--Hypocrisy--Immortal--Insomnium--Irreversible.Mechanism--Kalmah--Kamelot--Keep.Of.Kalessin--Korpiklaani--Kreator--Leprous--Luciferan.Light.Orchestra--Loss--Melechesh--Meshuggah--Mezarkabul--Moonspell--Mors.Principium.Est--Myrath--Ne.Obliviscaris--Nile--Nokturnal.Mortem--NorthTale--Novembers.Doom--Obscura--Old.Mans.Child--Opeth--Paladin--Poisonblack--Powerwolf--Primordial--Rapheumet's.Well--Raven--Rivers.Of.Nihil--Ryujin--Sabaton--Sadistic.Ritual--Samael--Satyricon--Savatage--Scale.the.Summit--Scorched.Moon--Septic.Flesh--Serious.Black--Seven.Spires--Sigh--Skalmold--Slough.Feg--Starkill--Steorrah--SYL--Suidakra--Summoning--Tarot--Therion--Thy.Serpent--Tomarum--Tomb.Mold--Turisas--Twilight.Force--Tyr--Vale.Of.Pnath--Valhalore--Vesania--Vintersorg--Wolfchant--Yyrkoon
    2015-2020; 2023-2024: Survivor
    2025: most likely
    Amalu
    Chief Petty Officer

by Amalu » Mon Dec 31, 2018 2:11 pm

I've seen Van Canto two times already. They always deliver. I'm really happy about this announcement.
    cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Mon Dec 31, 2018 3:36 pm

Hoppy McGee wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 4:57 am...I thought 70K didn't do cover bands?...
    Not true - *SLIGHTLY* different but Powerglove are nothing more than a glorified cover band :)
    Hoppy McGee wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 4:57 am (Yes...yes I know that's a harsh assessment since they do lots of original songs but I wonder...if it wasnt for all the cover songs would this band even be on anyone's radar?).
    I would still like to think so. The uniqueness of being an acapella metal band would probably be enough to make them stand out.

And fact of the matter is, their original songs are damn good. The Mission and If I Die In Battle are easily my two favourite songs of theirs.
    Upcoming Gigs:
    2025 Wishlist
  • Fulorian
    Crewman

by Fulorian » Mon Dec 31, 2018 4:21 pm

There's a difference between a novelty band and a cover band.
    Survivor - 16 / 17 / 18 / 19
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Mon Dec 31, 2018 5:35 pm

Hoppy McGee wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 4:57 am I thought 70K didn't do cover bands? (Yes...yes I know that's a harsh assessment since they do lots of original songs but I wonder...if it wasnt for all the cover songs would this band even be on anyone's radar?).
    This is something you could say about Apocalyptica too, yeah? I'm not a fan of Van Canto's recent work but I'm still interested in catching a set.
    I should get around to updating my signature
  • Andy
    THE SKIPPER

Happy New Year!

by Andy » Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:00 pm

70000TONS OF METAL would like to wish everyone around the Globe a Happy and Headbanging New Year! For those of you lucky Sailors who will be joining us in January and starting 2019 in style… Only four more weeks until we depart for round 9 of The Original, The World’s Biggest Heavy Metal Cruise!

Ravenlord
    Lieutenant-Commander

by Ravenlord » Tue Jan 01, 2019 12:27 am

cowboy71 wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 3:36 pm
    Hoppy McGee wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 4:57 am (Yes...yes I know that's a harsh assessment since they do lots of original songs but I wonder...if it wasnt for all the cover songs would this band even be on anyone's radar?).
    I would still like to think so. The uniqueness of being an acapella metal band would probably be enough to make them stand out.

And fact of the matter is, their original songs are damn good. The Mission and If I Die In Battle are easily my two favourite songs of theirs.
    I first heard them when they released their first album and I thought it was a really strong album. Their original tracks were great and only one cover which seemed mostly comical. But then with the second album it was nearly half covers and the originals were really not as good. After that they ended up falling off my radar. Guess it's time to pick it up again. Although I'm not a fan of bands piggybacking on other bands' songs, I'm happy too see they seem to play majority originals live. So I'm definitely planning to catch at least one set.

Also, don't know why it never clicked, but I listened to Fading Starlight many years ago and I never realized their female singer is the singer from them. It was only when I tried If I Die In Battle that she sounded very similar to her old work. I'm pretty excited.

1914-/-Alkaloid-/-Annihilator-/-Be'lakor-/-Cage-/-Civil War-/-Deus mortem-/-Eternity's End-/-Falkenbach-/-Fejd-/-Ghoul-/-Glyph-/-Grai-/-Grimner-/-Hellripper-/-Helloween-/-Igorrr-/-Iron Griffin-/-Jack Starr's Burning Starr-/-Kanonenfieber-/-Krux-/-Lör-/-Madder mortem-/-Mephorash-/-Metalian-/-Narzissus-/-Nocturnal Rites-/-Old Season-/-Paladin-/-Qantice-/-Riot V-/-Riot City-/-Sulphur Aeon-/-Stormkeep-/-Tad morose-/-Tankard-/-Tower-/-Ungfell-/-Vhaldemar-/-Walg-/-XIV Dark Centuries-/-Yoth iria
    cowboy71
    Commander

Re: Happy New Year!

by cowboy71 » Tue Jan 01, 2019 1:27 am

Cool - never knew that Inga did stuff prior to Van Canto. Will check it out!

For all the complaining about 'ooooh they don't play instruments' or 'oooh they are just a cover band', most of the members are in 'real' bands. Stefan plays guitar and sings in Heavatar, Ross is in The Display, Bastian In Legend, etc.

As mentioned I cannot wait to see them live, but have been quite disappointed with their last two albums. Even the 2 cover versions on the latest album are lacklustre.
    Upcoming Gigs:
    2025 Wishlist
    jeyrow
    Petty Officer

by jeyrow » Tue Jan 01, 2019 3:51 pm

Andy wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:00 pm 70000TONS OF METAL would like to wish everyone around the Globe a Happy and Headbanging New Year! For those of you lucky Sailors who will be joining us in January and starting 2019 in style… Only four more weeks until we depart for round 9 of The Original, The World’s Biggest Heavy Metal Cruise!

Happy and Metal New Year folks and Andy!
    See you soon!!!
    :viking:
    70000Tons - 2015 - 7307
    70000Tons - 2016 - 7531
    70000Tons - 2017 - 6231
    70000Tons - 2018 - No
    70000Tons - 2019 - 6131
    70000Tons - 2020 - No
    Razor Ramon
    Midshipman

by Razor Ramon » Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:02 pm

KAMELOT

CONVULSE

VAN CANTO

HAPPY NEW YEAR
    70000 Tons 2019
    Wishlist:Anneke-Van-Geirsbergen-VUUR-/-Battlelore-/-Borknagar-/-My-Dying-Bride-/-Draconian-/-Harakiri-For-The-Sky-/-The-Gathering-/-Anathema-/-Within-Temptation-/-Novembre-/-Katatonia-/-Lacuna-Coil-/-Rainover-/-Moonspell-/-Funeral-/-Isole/-Nightwish-/-Riverside-/-The-Crown-/-Autumnal-/-Aeonian-Sorrow-/-Throes-Of-Dawn-/-Thurisaz-/-Daylight-Dies-/-Shape-Of-Despair-/-Arcturus-/-Be'lakor-/-Ereb-Altor-/-Evocation-/-Tyranny-/-Sulphur-Aeon-/-Ajattara-/-Sojourner-/-Oceans-Of-Slumber-/-Lik-/-Thyrfing-/-In-The-Woods-/-Skepticism-/-Heaven-Shall-Burn-/-Darkwell-/-Vetrar-Draugurinn-/-Therion-/-Haggard-/-Draconian-/-Bloodred-Hourglass-/-Bowel-Fuck-/-Batushka-/-Mork-/-Devour-The-Fetus-/-Perturbator-/-Carpenter-Brut-/-Hallatar-/-Infiltration-/-Myrkur-/-Before-The-Dawn-/-Letters-From-The-Colony-/-Demonical-/-Helevorn-/-Viscera-Infest-/-Wormrot-/-And-Oceans
    My musical taste:http://www.last.fm/user/Anthony3
    cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:03 pm

Happy New Year to the skipper and all the 70k crew :)

Absolutely loving this lineup!!!

And not that I need any more bands that I'd want to catch multiple sets from, but IF I did, then for C I would love to see:

CLAYMOREAN
    CIVIL WAR
    CRIMFALL
    CIRCUS MAXIMUS
    Upcoming Gigs:
    2025 Wishlist
    PotatoPotahto
    Petty Officer

by PotatoPotahto » Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:49 pm

Happy new year Mr. Skipper and the whole crew, both RCCL and UMC.

Only thing that would make it truly best is Carach Angren for C.
    Give me Behemoth and I'll be ecstatic
    cegr80
    Lieutenant

by cegr80 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:31 am

Happy New Year, Andy. We want more announcements!
  • Godflesh
    Ensign

by Godflesh » Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:41 am

At least with VAN CANTO we get female singers who can properly sing some IRON MAIDEN, as opposed to last year (yay, “last year” is finally not ambiguous anymore).

I have to say, this cover of “Fear of the dark” isn’t bad.
    All in all, I’m glad they’re on the boat, because they’re talented, and this is something you’d normally have to go to Europe to see.

Post Reply 2038 posts