Post Reply 341 posts
5 MONTHS until Round X!
  • Godflesh
    Ensign

Re: 5 MONTHS until Round X!

by Godflesh » Sat Aug 17, 2019 2:20 am

Godflesh wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:36 pm This is a very, very expensive vacation after all, so I need my money's worth.
    I ran the totals for this year, and with all expenses included (travel insurance, numerous transfers, etc), it ended up costing more for 5 days than a month of net salary for both my wife and I. Wow.
    With cat boarding expenses, restaurants at FLL, tips, etc. that I didn’t account for, it’s markedly *more* than a month’s salary for two people.
    We got a bill of $1350 from RCI alone (plus probably another $3-400 for WiFi, water and excursions, that were pre-paid), $350 for merchandise and $1000 for booze.
    The previous 4 years were all below $1000 total for RCI (our first year was about half that), but this year the prices skyrocketed, with as I remember the cheapest beer at $9 and a glass of wine at $17, when you factor in the mandatory tip.

I’ll save a lot money by just saying home, drinking my favorite poison, and watching the Day 4 recap in a loop. Oh wait.
  • Godflesh
    Ensign

by Godflesh » Sat Aug 17, 2019 2:23 am

1000 posts! I’m an Ensign now.
    cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:44 am

This time of year in years past we would have booked already, have a bunch of bands announced that we're excited about, be anticipating the next bands, bitching about the gaps.

Instead, people are dropping out, we are all wondering what the hell is going on, and I'm watching our currency fall making the impending cruise more expensive every passing day :(
    Upcoming Gigs:
    -/-Scar-Symmetry-/-Wind-Rose-/-Unleash-The-Archers-/-Amaranthe
    2025 Wishlist
    Ad-Infinitum-/-Aephanemer-/-All-For-Metal-/-Alterium-/-Ancient-Bards-/-Atlas-Pain-/-Avantasia-/-Battlelore-/Beast-In-Black-/-Believer-/-Beyond-The-Black-/-Brothers-of-Metal-/-Catalyst-Crime-/-Civil-War-/-Circus-Maximus-/-Claymorean-/-Cobra-Spell-/-Dark-Moor-/-Dark-Sarah-/-Dartagnan-/-Diabulus-In-Musica-/-Edguy-/-Ex-Libris-/-Exit-Eden-/-Fellowship-/-Follow-The-Cipher-/-Frozen-Crown-/-Galderia-/-Hammer-King-/-Heavatar-/-Ignea-/-Imperial-Age-/-In-This-Moment-/-Jaldaboath-/-Kaledon-/-Labyrinth-/-Living-Sacrifice-/-Metalite-/-Moonlight-Haze-/-Neopera-/-Nestor-/-Nocturna-/-Orden-Ogan-/-Pathfinder-/-Phantom-Elite-/-Poisonblack-/-Power-Paladin-/-Powerwolf-/-The-Privateer-/-Rexoria-/-Running-Wild-/-She-Wolf-/-Silver-Bullet-/-Sleeping-Romance-/-Sojourner-/-Tarot-/-Ten-/-Thaurorod-/-The-Big-Deal-/-The-Dark-Element-/-Trick-or-Treat-/-Trillium-/-Unisonic-/-Valhalore-/-Vanishing-Point-/-Volturian-/-Walk-In-Darkness-/-Within-Temptation
    PotatoPotahto
    Petty Officer

by PotatoPotahto » Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:54 am

cowboy71 wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:44 am This time of year in years past we would have booked already, have a bunch of bands announced that we're excited about, be anticipating the next bands, bitching about the gaps.

Instead, people are dropping out, we are all wondering what the hell is going on, and I'm watching our currency fall making the impending cruise more expensive every passing day :(
    I've noticed that even people regularly known for being calm and collected well into the delay are getting angry in the comments on Facebook, this is total bullshit. If this weren't the only vacation I was interested in and could realistically afford I'd be jumping ship right now too.
    Give me Behemoth and I'll be ecstatic
    Cardest
    Midshipman

by Cardest » Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:56 am

I'm still in!
    But my patience is also running thin.

Wish list: Grand Magus, ARCTURUS, Borknagar, SIGH, Vastum, ABSU, Temple of Void, Frozen Crown, King Diamond/Mercyful Fate, Kawir, Vuur, Chthonic, Cemetery Urn, Tombs, Acid Witch, Slough Feg, Hammers of Misfortune
    cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:36 pm

Current calculations using last year as a guide, if booking opened today:

8 days between Gold and Silver
    14 days between Silver and Public
    16 days between Public sales and the four payment cutoff

Really starting to cut it fine, making me think more and more that we will deviate away from the Gold-then-Silver-then-Public methodology.

Will it be a free-for-all, everyone is equal, system this year?
    Will it be 'special' since it is the 'special' 70K X, and just veterans of the 1st cruise can book early?

We will all find out, SOON.
    Upcoming Gigs:
    2025 Wishlist
    Ad-Infinitum-/-Aephanemer-/-All-For-Metal-/-Alterium-/-Ancient-Bards-/-Atlas-Pain-/-Avantasia-/-Battlelore-/Beast-In-Black-/-Believer-/-Beyond-The-Black-/-Brothers-of-Metal-/-Catalyst-Crime-/-Civil-War-/-Circus-Maximus-/-Claymorean-/-Cobra-Spell-/-Dark-Moor-/-Dark-Sarah-/-Dartagnan-/-Diabulus-In-Musica-/-Edguy-/-Ex-Libris-/-Exit-Eden-/-Fellowship-/-Follow-The-Cipher-/-Frozen-Crown-/-Galderia-/-Hammer-King-/-Heavatar-/-Ignea-/-Imperial-Age-/-In-This-Moment-/-Jaldaboath-/-Kaledon-/-Labyrinth-/-Living-Sacrifice-/-Metalite-/-Moonlight-Haze-/-Neopera-/-Nestor-/-Nocturna-/-Orden-Ogan-/-Pathfinder-/-Phantom-Elite-/-Poisonblack-/-Power-Paladin-/-Powerwolf-/-The-Privateer-/-Rexoria-/-Running-Wild-/-She-Wolf-/-Silver-Bullet-/-Sleeping-Romance-/-Sojourner-/-Tarot-/-Ten-/-Thaurorod-/-The-Big-Deal-/-The-Dark-Element-/-Trick-or-Treat-/-Trillium-/-Unisonic-/-Valhalore-/-Vanishing-Point-/-Volturian-/-Walk-In-Darkness-/-Within-Temptation
    cegr80
    Lieutenant

by cegr80 » Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:02 pm

Godflesh wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 2:23 am 1000 posts! I’m an Ensign now.
    Congrats!
    2017.2018.2019.2020.2023.2024.GOLD.Survivor|2025 Wishlist:1349-1914-Aephanemer-Akercoke-Alcest-Alkaloid-AnaalNathrakh-AnAbstractIllusion-Atvm-Avatar-Avslut-Be'lakor-Belzebubs-ChapelOfDisease-Chthonic-Darkthrone-DiabloSwingOrchestra-Dimmu Borgir-Dodheimsgard-Draconian-EternalTearsOfSorrow-FreakKitchen-Hamferd-IATT-LochVostok-Marduk-NocnyKochanek-Satyricon-Schammasch-Scour-Shining(Nor)-Sigh-SulphurAeon-Turisas-Ulver-Virvum-Watain-WhiteWard
    Cardest
    Midshipman

by Cardest » Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:25 am

cowboy71 wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:36 pm Current calculations using last year as a guide, if booking opened today:

8 days between Gold and Silver
    14 days between Silver and Public
    16 days between Public sales and the four payment cutoff

Really starting to cut it fine, making me think more and more that we will deviate away from the Gold-then-Silver-then-Public methodology.

Will it be a free-for-all, everyone is equal, system this year?
    Will it be 'special' since it is the 'special' 70K X, and just veterans of the 1st cruise can book early?

We will all find out, SOON.
    A free for all?
    bloody hope not!
    Skip has already pissed enough people off already with all this silent nonsense.
    It would be riots!
    With ZERO bands to celebrate at Heavy MTL - seems there were no bands booked at all.
    This means, he's working frantically now to get bands!?????
    Weird. If that's so.
    Leaving this so late. After 10 years to get things right....
    Who knows?
    That's the thing, no one does.
    It's beyond frustration levels now.

I'd like to see a Balbbermouth headline and a journalist to go digging and making phone calls.
    We are all sitting here getting angry and no one knows a damn thing.
    When does the Sept issue of Metal Hammer go on sale in Germany?
    We might see a stack of bands on a 1 page sheet, and whooooo at last, we have action!
    I doubt that........damn it.
    I'm so ready to book!
    C'MON!!!!!
    Let's roll!

Wish list: Grand Magus, ARCTURUS, Borknagar, SIGH, Vastum, ABSU, Temple of Void, Frozen Crown, King Diamond/Mercyful Fate, Kawir, Vuur, Chthonic, Cemetery Urn, Tombs, Acid Witch, Slough Feg, Hammers of Misfortune
    jeyrow
    Petty Officer

by jeyrow » Sun Aug 18, 2019 1:24 pm

cegr80 wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:12 pm Some people cannot tolerate the lack of band announcements. I am pretty sure I'm gonna like a lot of the bands to be announced, so I will book blindly
    In my case and I see that there are other people equal to me, the issue of the high cost of flights as the date gets closer affects lots. What would be the surprise factor, make the announcements and not expect so much. I don't know if @Cowboy will have a census of known people who drop the next edition, and see what the reasons were for them not to go.
    70000Tons - 2015 - 7307
    70000Tons - 2016 - 7531
    70000Tons - 2017 - 6231
    70000Tons - 2018 - No
    70000Tons - 2019 - 6131
    70000Tons - 2020 - No
    cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:46 pm

I imagine only a handful of veterans will actually drop out :P

But yeah, would be interesting to know how many, and why.
    Upcoming Gigs:
    2025 Wishlist
    PotatoPotahto
    Petty Officer

by PotatoPotahto » Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:21 pm

cowboy71 wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:46 pm I imagine only a handful of veterans will actually drop out :P

But yeah, would be interesting to know how many, and why.
    How many would be interesting. The why, I'm sure we know :P
    cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:27 pm

We all know how its gonna go though.

We all bitch and complain ---> Bookings open for Golds ---> nearly all categories sold out before silver opens

:lol: :roll: :cry:
    Upcoming Gigs:
    2025 Wishlist
  • Phoenix
    Lieutenant

by Phoenix » Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:21 pm

I'm planning a trip to Seattle instead :roll:

Survivor:
    Out for 2023
    cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:53 pm

Little bit of recent history.

141 days to go!

2019 cruise we knew 22 bands by this stage
    2018 cruise we knew 21 bands by this stage
    2017 cruise we knew 39(!!!) bands by this stage
    Upcoming Gigs:
    2025 Wishlist
    Cardest
    Midshipman

by Cardest » Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:06 am

cowboy71 wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:53 pm Little bit of recent history.

141 days to go!

2019 cruise we knew 22 bands by this stage
    2018 cruise we knew 21 bands by this stage
    2017 cruise we knew 39(!!!) bands by this stage
    With the payment plans that need 4 months,
    70k only has 2 weeks to get information out there
    before that goes out the window too

cegr80
    Lieutenant

by cegr80 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:45 am

Don't panic, people! This has to come to a resolution "soon"
    2017.2018.2019.2020.2023.2024.GOLD.Survivor|2025 Wishlist:1349-1914-Aephanemer-Akercoke-Alcest-Alkaloid-AnaalNathrakh-AnAbstractIllusion-Atvm-Avatar-Avslut-Be'lakor-Belzebubs-ChapelOfDisease-Chthonic-Darkthrone-DiabloSwingOrchestra-Dimmu Borgir-Dodheimsgard-Draconian-EternalTearsOfSorrow-FreakKitchen-Hamferd-IATT-LochVostok-Marduk-NocnyKochanek-Satyricon-Schammasch-Scour-Shining(Nor)-Sigh-SulphurAeon-Turisas-Ulver-Virvum-Watain-WhiteWard
  • zboy
    Oiler

by zboy » Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:31 am

Oh fuck off, Andy
    cegr80
    Lieutenant

by cegr80 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:49 am

Gratch
    Chief Petty Officer

by Gratch » Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:01 pm

I'm a little surprised that 70K is still trolling people on FB with photos from last year at this point. They posted yet another one today.

But maybe I shouldn't be.
    Survivor 2016/17/18/19/20

Ultimate Wishlist Bands
    Anaal Nathrakh - Behemoth - Igorrr - Khemmis - Myrkur - The Ocean - Pallbearer - Sigh - Tribulation - Sentient Horror - Turisas - Wilderun - Witherscape - Zeal & Ardor
    cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:05 pm

In all the years we've been on the larger ship, we have known at least 40% of the lineup by now.

At this point, 138 days to go!
    2019: 0
    2018: 25 bands known
    2017: 23 bands known
    2016: 39 bands known
    2015: 30 bands known
    2014: 30 bands known

When band announcements finally start, they'll come in a rush :P

Also, with 138 days to go, we have way less days remaining than the amount of time we suffered during the infamous 2014 cruise silence of 175 days :P
    Upcoming Gigs:
    2025 Wishlist
  • Godflesh
    Ensign

by Godflesh » Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:43 am

In retrospect, I realize the main reason (other than dates) I’m passing next year is that this year sucked for me, especially with the huge sticker shock that I described previously:
    - Due to late announcements I didn’t even finish filling up my band spreadsheet like I do every year, I stopped at 52 bands
    - I also didn’t fill in my show attendance. Looking at the bands I had marked (thanks Ron for “Use last year’s data”), I only liked 11 bands, so probably only 15 shows, out of 33 or so I think I saw
    - With 15 death metal bands I got saturated, and didn’t even care which ones I saw anymore
    - Old favorites disappointed me greatly (PESTILENCE, ONSLAUGHT)
    - The sound sucked so badly - too loud in the theater, too low on the pool deck - that I couldn’t enjoy bands I would have otherwise (NAPALM DEATH, FLESHGOD APOCALYPSE). Surprisingly and happily, other bands had good sound so I could enjoy them (ACCEPT, OBITUARY, PARADISE LOST, SOULFLY).
    - I didn’t meet new people, share drinks and meals with strangers, make up jokes on the spot, attend karaoke like I did every year. No idea why. I have fond memories of every cruise except that last one.
    - I got kicked out of the Casino for smoking cigarillos for the first time in 5 years, apparently they’re verboten now. That’s all I smoke.

I suppose I suppressed all that previously, thinking everything would be better next year, apparently not.
    Andy, it’s not you, it’s me. I’m sure you’ll meet plenty of newbies who will buy you $17 mojitos, (mandatory 18% tip included).
    acidbasement
    Chief Petty Officer

by acidbasement » Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:30 am

Godflesh wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:43 am In retrospect, I realize the main reason (other than dates) I’m passing next year is that this year sucked for me, especially with the huge sticker shock that I described previously:
    - Due to late announcements I didn’t even finish filling up my band spreadsheet like I do every year, I stopped at 52 bands
    - I also didn’t fill in my show attendance. Looking at the bands I had marked (thanks Ron for “Use last year’s data”), I only liked 11 bands, so probably only 15 shows, out of 33 or so I think I saw
    - With 15 death metal bands I got saturated, and didn’t even care which ones I saw anymore
    - Old favorites disappointed me greatly (PESTILENCE, ONSLAUGHT)
    - The sound sucked so badly - too loud in the theater, too low on the pool deck - that I couldn’t enjoy bands I would have otherwise (NAPALM DEATH, FLESHGOD APOCALYPSE). Surprisingly and happily, other bands had good sound so I could enjoy them (ACCEPT, OBITUARY, PARADISE LOST, SOULFLY).
    - I didn’t meet new people, share drinks and meals with strangers, make up jokes on the spot, attend karaoke like I did every year. No idea why. I have fond memories of every cruise except that last one.
    - I got kicked out of the Casino for smoking cigarillos for the first time in 5 years, apparently they’re verboten now. That’s all I smoke.

I suppose I suppressed all that previously, thinking everything would be better next year, apparently not.
    Andy, it’s not you, it’s me. I’m sure you’ll meet plenty of newbies who will buy you $17 mojitos, (mandatory 18% tip included).
    I definitely understand.
    2019 was my favourite 70K so far (I've been on 5 times), and I'm going in 2020. I think I'd like to take a break in 2021 though, and it doesn't matter who gets announced. It's just so damn expensive. But also addictive.
    Of course, we're also thinking that maybe we should just keep going until the kids are in high school and less able to take time off.
    I'm only here to do two things: play the bagpipes and gargle sulphuric acid. Looks like we're almost out of acid.
    Pellaz
    Lieutenant

by Pellaz » Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:57 pm

cowboy71 wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:07 am
    gnoff_the_creep wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:50 am
    Hasn't the taxes part almost doubled from the first cruise? I kind of remember them being in the 200's something.
    Correct. $249 for the first cruise.

In kind of answer to your almost unasked question, I think this is the most important part of the clause about that cost:

"...including, without limitation, a Booking Fee."

In other words, Andy's slice of the pie. THAT is why it's getting bigger :P
    Well, also a portion of the cruise fare also goes to 70K. The prices we pay in cruise fare are about double what they would be for a "standard" cruise. I'm sure 70K gets part of that overage.
    2025 Wishlist:
    1349--Abbath--Abigail.Williams--Aephanemer--Agalloch--Agathodaimon--Alien.Weaponry--Allegaeon--Amon.Amarth--Amorphis--Animals.As.Leaders--Arkona--Arsis--Atrocity--Ayreon--Bal.Sagoth--Baroness--Barren.Earth--Battlelore--Behemoth--Below.7--Belzebubs--Be'lakor--Black.Crown.Initiate--Bloodbath--Borknagar--Broken.Trinity--Cannibal.Corpse--Chthe'ilist--CoF--Countless.Skies--Cynic--Demons.&.Wizards--Dimmu.Borgir--Dark.Tranquillity--Dragonforce--Edge.of.Sanity--Witherscape--anything.Dan.Swano--Eluveitie--Eneferens--Ensiferum--Enslaved--Eternal.Tears.of.Sorrow--Evergrey--Exmortus--Ex.Deo--Fear.Factory--Fires.In.the.Distance--Gojira--Graveworm--Green.Carnation--Hypocrisy--Immortal--Insomnium--Irreversible.Mechanism--Kalmah--Kamelot--Keep.Of.Kalessin--Korpiklaani--Kreator--Leprous--Luciferan.Light.Orchestra--Loss--Melechesh--Meshuggah--Mezarkabul--Moonspell--Mors.Principium.Est--Myrath--Ne.Obliviscaris--Nile--Nokturnal.Mortem--NorthTale--Novembers.Doom--Obscura--Old.Mans.Child--Opeth--Paladin--Poisonblack--Powerwolf--Primordial--Rapheumet's.Well--Raven--Rivers.Of.Nihil--Ryujin--Sabaton--Sadistic.Ritual--Samael--Satyricon--Savatage--Scale.the.Summit--Scorched.Moon--Septic.Flesh--Serious.Black--Seven.Spires--Sigh--Skalmold--Slough.Feg--Starkill--Steorrah--SYL--Suidakra--Summoning--Tarot--Therion--Thy.Serpent--Tomarum--Tomb.Mold--Turisas--Twilight.Force--Tyr--Vale.Of.Pnath--Valhalore--Vesania--Vintersorg--Wolfchant--Yyrkoon
    2015-2020; 2023-2024: Survivor
    2025: most likely
  • Godflesh
    Ensign

by Godflesh » Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:59 pm

Pellaz wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:57 pm
    cowboy71 wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:07 am
    gnoff_the_creep wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:50 am
    Hasn't the taxes part almost doubled from the first cruise? I kind of remember them being in the 200's something.
    Correct. $249 for the first cruise.

In kind of answer to your almost unasked question, I think this is the most important part of the clause about that cost:

"...including, without limitation, a Booking Fee."

In other words, Andy's slice of the pie. THAT is why it's getting bigger :P
    Well, also a portion of the cruise fare also goes to 70K. The prices we pay in cruise fare are about double what they would be for a "standard" cruise. I'm sure 70K gets part of that overage.
    We had the exact same conversation a year ago, with the same arguments.
    The money goes to UMC: https://www.70000tons.com/forum/viewtop ... tent296981

(Side note: how did Iconix manage to author a table? Unfortunately, the white lines make it ugly)
    cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:31 pm

Godflesh wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:59 pm

(Side note: how did Iconix manage to author a table? Unfortunately, the white lines make it ugly)
    Interesting! Don't recall seeing that originally. Although couple of comments (not sure if they were raised back then):

1 "unknown/newbie bands get maybe $2k-$5k"
    Have heard from numerous first-hand sources that they don't even get that.

2 "paying the 70k crew for working - 200-300 people"
    Again we know that a lot of them are volunteers and only get the cruise itself free.
    Upcoming Gigs:
    2025 Wishlist
    Donnerklang
    Oiler

by Donnerklang » Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:34 am

cowboy71 wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:31 pm ...
    That's true. My younger daughter had a little affair with one the guitar players (not a newbie band!) in 2017. They got nothing but had to pay for playing on the 70k.

Same thing as with supporting acts on a tour this days.

And to the actual situation - we already booked flights for my family. 4k €. Now I'm a little bit frightened of the situation and the late announcements. Thank you very much Andy.
    70.000tons family cruise 2020: My two daugthers, my wife and me
    :viking:
    Amalu
    Chief Petty Officer

by Amalu » Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:12 am

Phoenix wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:06 pm
    slayergeek wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:35 am Maybe this is Andy's plan to bring in more fresh blood. Delay things so more veterans drop out and hope that new blood is still their ready and willing to take their place.

"If" the delay is a conscience choice for that purpose, rather than the semi-normal behind the scene chaos that is 70,000 tons, I must say I am NOT a fan.
    This thought has crossed my mind, especially since 1) the wait list gets larger every year and 2) more and more people get access to the discounts every year. If people keep jumping ship like this, it's better for business.
    If I remember correctly, we had the exact same discussion last year, right?

Imho, UMC could just reduce or remove the Silver/Gold discounts. Seems like a very odd way to get "new blood" as those who don't know the event will be far less likely to book late without knowing the whole line-up.
    Amalu
    Chief Petty Officer

by Amalu » Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:40 am

cowboy71 wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:31 pm 1 "unknown/newbie bands get maybe $2k-$5k"
    Funny fact. I got a recommendation on Xing (basically LinkedIn for German speaking countries) for notary and lawyer in Thun (city in Switzerland).

Know that guy?

Seems like being the singer for Gloryhammer does not pay enough. I guess having your own law firm in Switzerland pays much better. :mrgreen:

But hey, should you ever buy a house in Switzerland, you can have the paper work done by Mr Angus McFife XIII himself.
  • FinnPete
    Crewman

by FinnPete » Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:18 am

Some band was having a stay next to me this year (why does my brain always say last year") and they had to book everything by themselves. No headliners. I got an understanding they didn't have to pay for the cruise, but getting there was on their expense. But hey, that was drunk talk everywhere :belly:
  • Downvod
    Midshipman

by Downvod » Fri Aug 23, 2019 4:22 pm

Amalu wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:12 am
    Phoenix wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:06 pm
    slayergeek wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:35 am Maybe this is Andy's plan to bring in more fresh blood. Delay things so more veterans drop out and hope that new blood is still their ready and willing to take their place.

"If" the delay is a conscience choice for that purpose, rather than the semi-normal behind the scene chaos that is 70,000 tons, I must say I am NOT a fan.
    This thought has crossed my mind, especially since 1) the wait list gets larger every year and 2) more and more people get access to the discounts every year. If people keep jumping ship like this, it's better for business.
    If I remember correctly, we had the exact same discussion last year, right?

Imho, UMC could just reduce or remove the Silver/Gold discounts. Seems like a very odd way to get "new blood" as those who don't know the event will be far less likely to book late without knowing the whole line-up.
    I get what you are saying, but a lot of newbies have been following the cruise for years and now finally have the means to go. They plan to go for the experience regardless. Also, people who have wanted to go but there were never rooms in their price range by the time public sales opened. That’s why there is a waiting list every year.
    70k 2016: Cabin 7279
    70k 2017: Cabin 6361
    70k 2018: Cabin 1704
    70k 2019: Cabin 1402
    70k 2020: Cabin 9220
    70k 2023: Cabin 1704
    70k 2024: Cabin 1688

Abbath-/-AEPHANEMER-/-Aetherian-/-Alestorm-/-Allegaeon-/-Amon.Amarth-/-Amorphis-/-Andy.Gillion-/-Animals.as.Leaders-/-Annihilator-/-Arkona-/-Armageddon-/-Arsis-/-Ashes.of.Ares-/-Battlecross-/-Behemoth-/-BE'LAKOR-/-Belzebubs-/-Beyond.Creation-/-Black.Crown.Initiate-/-BLIND.GUARDIAN-/-Bloodbath-/-Bloodred.Hourglass-/-BORKNAGAR-/-Brymir-/-Carcass-/-Children.of.Bodom-/-Conjurer-/-The.Crown-/-Cthonic-/-Dalriada-/-Dark.Funeral-/-Dark.Tranquillity-/-Death.Angel-/-Death.to.All-/-Decapitated-/-Demonic.Resurrection-/-Demons.&.Wizards-/-Destruction-/-DGM-/-Dimmu.Borgir-/-Dragonlord-/-Enslaved-/-Equilibrium-/-ETERNAL.TEARS.OF.SORROW-/-Evocation-/-Finsterforst-/-Fleshgod.Apocalypse-/-Galactic.Empire-/-Ghoul-/-Gojira-/-Harakiri.for.the.Sky-/-Heidevolk-/-Hypocrisy-/-Iced.Earth-/-Immortal-/-Inferi-/-IN.MOURNING-/-Insomnium-/-In.Vain-/-Irreversible.Mechanism-/-Keep.of.Kalessin-/-Kreator-/-Kvelertak-/-Lovebites-/-Manegarm-/-Mastodon-/-Melechesh-/-Midnight-/-MGLA-/-Myrkur-/-Naglfar-/-Necrophagist-/-Necrophobic-/-Ne.Obliviscaris-/-Night.Demon-/-Nile-/-Obscura-/-Old.Man's.Child-/-Onslaught-/-Opeth-/-Orden.Ogan-/-Powerglove-/-Power.Trip-/-Psycroptic-/-Rage-/-Refuge-/-Revocation-/-Rivers.of.Nihil-/-Septicflesh-/-Solution.45-/-Swallow.the.Sun-/-SYMPHONY.X-/-TAAKE-/-Tankard-/-Testament-/-TRIBULATION-/-Uada-/-Unleash.the.Archers-/-Vader-/-Vallenfyre-/-Vektor-/-Warbringer-/-Watain-/-Winterfylleth-/-Winterhymn-/-WITCHERY-/-Witherscape-/-Wolfheart-/-Wolves.in.the.Throne.Room
    Jaimie38
    Lieutenant

by Jaimie38 » Fri Aug 23, 2019 5:13 pm

So, if I continue to watch 70 k recap vids on YouTube, will that summon the Announcement Demon??

Chopping at the bit here...

:beerwink:
    9 Time Vet.
    Wishlist-West of Hell,Hibria,Powerwolf,WASP,DioDisciples,Loudness,
    DangerousToys,Triumph,UDO,SkullFIST,Kobra&theLotus,
    TheOrderofChaos,Diemonds,Riot City, WMD,Demons & Wizards,Liv Sin,Suicidal Angels,Dee Snider
    Pellaz
    Lieutenant

by Pellaz » Sat Aug 24, 2019 12:52 pm

cowboy71 wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:31 pm
    Godflesh wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:59 pm

Interesting! Don't recall seeing that originally. Although couple of comments (not sure if they were raised back then):

Yep, this is true. Generally they would have their rooms paid for -- although I could see some completely "pay to play" situations where a band or label really wanted to pay "for the exposure" -- but many smaller bands don't get much, if anything, past that.
    I know of a certain 60-minute-set band who basically played their first year on 70K as a paid-for vacation from wintry Europe. On their second sailing with 70K they requested -- and got -- some remuneration "over and above."
    2 "paying the 70k crew for working - 200-300 people"
    Again we know that a lot of them are volunteers and only get the cruise itself free.
    Last I heard, if stage-crew work two years as volunteers (with paid rooms), they are paid thereafter.

Still, 70K has to subsidize a LOT of staterooms onbroad.

For the price we pay and the logistics involved, the costs for 70K aren't unreasonable for what we get. As I've mentioned before, specialty cruises like Star Trek: The Cruise and the Walker-Stalker Cruise (rip) cost somewhat more and, IMHO, offer less of an fan experience.

Delaying band announcements and bookings for some unfathomable reason?* Now THAT's kinda unreasonable.

----------
    * although I'm starting to develop a theory about the delay.....
    2025 Wishlist:
    1349--Abbath--Abigail.Williams--Aephanemer--Agalloch--Agathodaimon--Alien.Weaponry--Allegaeon--Amon.Amarth--Amorphis--Animals.As.Leaders--Arkona--Arsis--Atrocity--Ayreon--Bal.Sagoth--Baroness--Barren.Earth--Battlelore--Behemoth--Below.7--Belzebubs--Be'lakor--Black.Crown.Initiate--Bloodbath--Borknagar--Broken.Trinity--Cannibal.Corpse--Chthe'ilist--CoF--Countless.Skies--Cynic--Demons.&.Wizards--Dimmu.Borgir--Dark.Tranquillity--Dragonforce--Edge.of.Sanity--Witherscape--anything.Dan.Swano--Eluveitie--Eneferens--Ensiferum--Enslaved--Eternal.Tears.of.Sorrow--Evergrey--Exmortus--Ex.Deo--Fear.Factory--Fires.In.the.Distance--Gojira--Graveworm--Green.Carnation--Hypocrisy--Immortal--Insomnium--Irreversible.Mechanism--Kalmah--Kamelot--Keep.Of.Kalessin--Korpiklaani--Kreator--Leprous--Luciferan.Light.Orchestra--Loss--Melechesh--Meshuggah--Mezarkabul--Moonspell--Mors.Principium.Est--Myrath--Ne.Obliviscaris--Nile--Nokturnal.Mortem--NorthTale--Novembers.Doom--Obscura--Old.Mans.Child--Opeth--Paladin--Poisonblack--Powerwolf--Primordial--Rapheumet's.Well--Raven--Rivers.Of.Nihil--Ryujin--Sabaton--Sadistic.Ritual--Samael--Satyricon--Savatage--Scale.the.Summit--Scorched.Moon--Septic.Flesh--Serious.Black--Seven.Spires--Sigh--Skalmold--Slough.Feg--Starkill--Steorrah--SYL--Suidakra--Summoning--Tarot--Therion--Thy.Serpent--Tomarum--Tomb.Mold--Turisas--Twilight.Force--Tyr--Vale.Of.Pnath--Valhalore--Vesania--Vintersorg--Wolfchant--Yyrkoon
    2015-2020; 2023-2024: Survivor
    2025: most likely
    cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:51 pm

Pellaz wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 12:52 pm ----------
    Demons & Wizards "big" first announcement, and needing to wait until after Progpower to announce?

Not that 70k NEEDS a big first announcement - it will be sold out within a month regardless of who is announced.

But *if* they have D&W booked then its possible that the band/management/whoever WANTS it to be the first announcement.

(Mind you, any other festival on the planet would be 'big announcement coming 9th September' or 'hey sorry for the delay, we are working on a big first announcement but need to delay for a bit longer'. Not this festival though.... :roll: )
    Upcoming Gigs:
    2025 Wishlist
  • Downvod
    Midshipman

by Downvod » Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:10 pm

cowboy71 wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:51 pm
    Demons & Wizards "big" first announcement, and needing to wait until after Progpower to announce?

Not that 70k NEEDS a big first announcement - it will be sold out within a month regardless of who is announced.

But *if* they have D&W booked then its possible that the band/management/whoever WANTS it to be the first announcement.

(Mind you, any other festival on the planet would be 'big announcement coming 9th September' or 'hey sorry for the delay, we are working on a big first announcement but need to delay for a bit longer'. Not this festival though.... :roll: )
    I mean, it’s possible. However, at this time last year, we were also waiting for what was the longest ever start to announcements. The first band ended up being Accept, and that offered no insight whatsoever as to why there was a delay.
    70k 2016: Cabin 7279
    70k 2017: Cabin 6361
    70k 2018: Cabin 1704
    70k 2019: Cabin 1402
    70k 2020: Cabin 9220
    70k 2023: Cabin 1704
    70k 2024: Cabin 1688

Abbath-/-AEPHANEMER-/-Aetherian-/-Alestorm-/-Allegaeon-/-Amon.Amarth-/-Amorphis-/-Andy.Gillion-/-Animals.as.Leaders-/-Annihilator-/-Arkona-/-Armageddon-/-Arsis-/-Ashes.of.Ares-/-Battlecross-/-Behemoth-/-BE'LAKOR-/-Belzebubs-/-Beyond.Creation-/-Black.Crown.Initiate-/-BLIND.GUARDIAN-/-Bloodbath-/-Bloodred.Hourglass-/-BORKNAGAR-/-Brymir-/-Carcass-/-Children.of.Bodom-/-Conjurer-/-The.Crown-/-Cthonic-/-Dalriada-/-Dark.Funeral-/-Dark.Tranquillity-/-Death.Angel-/-Death.to.All-/-Decapitated-/-Demonic.Resurrection-/-Demons.&.Wizards-/-Destruction-/-DGM-/-Dimmu.Borgir-/-Dragonlord-/-Enslaved-/-Equilibrium-/-ETERNAL.TEARS.OF.SORROW-/-Evocation-/-Finsterforst-/-Fleshgod.Apocalypse-/-Galactic.Empire-/-Ghoul-/-Gojira-/-Harakiri.for.the.Sky-/-Heidevolk-/-Hypocrisy-/-Iced.Earth-/-Immortal-/-Inferi-/-IN.MOURNING-/-Insomnium-/-In.Vain-/-Irreversible.Mechanism-/-Keep.of.Kalessin-/-Kreator-/-Kvelertak-/-Lovebites-/-Manegarm-/-Mastodon-/-Melechesh-/-Midnight-/-MGLA-/-Myrkur-/-Naglfar-/-Necrophagist-/-Necrophobic-/-Ne.Obliviscaris-/-Night.Demon-/-Nile-/-Obscura-/-Old.Man's.Child-/-Onslaught-/-Opeth-/-Orden.Ogan-/-Powerglove-/-Power.Trip-/-Psycroptic-/-Rage-/-Refuge-/-Revocation-/-Rivers.of.Nihil-/-Septicflesh-/-Solution.45-/-Swallow.the.Sun-/-SYMPHONY.X-/-TAAKE-/-Tankard-/-Testament-/-TRIBULATION-/-Uada-/-Unleash.the.Archers-/-Vader-/-Vallenfyre-/-Vektor-/-Warbringer-/-Watain-/-Winterfylleth-/-Winterhymn-/-WITCHERY-/-Witherscape-/-Wolfheart-/-Wolves.in.the.Throne.Room
    PotatoPotahto
    Petty Officer

by PotatoPotahto » Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:30 am

At this point I've kind of just resigned myself to believing it's definitely going to be September 1st. There's no special day between now and then that anything "should" happen on, so...

Fuck though this sucks.
    cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Sun Aug 25, 2019 4:14 pm

PotatoPotahto wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:30 am At this point I've kind of just resigned myself to believing it's definitely going to be September 1st. There's no special day between now and then that anything "should" happen on, so...

Fuck though this sucks.
    Indeed - I guess all we can say is that now its REALLY SOON?

No pattern from the last three cruises to offer any guidance as to even what day of the week we might expect, or how long between emails and bookings:

Last year emails went out around Sunday 2nd September, with gold bookings opening Wednesday 5th September
    2018 they went out around Tuesday 4th July, with bookings opening Friday 7th July
    2017 they went out around Friday 8th July with bookings opening Saturday 9th of July
    Upcoming Gigs:
    2025 Wishlist
    Jaimie38
    Lieutenant

by Jaimie38 » Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:13 am

cowboy71 wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:51 pm

New tropical storm in the US is being called Dorian.....shifty eyes ...shifty eyes....
    :D
    9 Time Vet.
    Wishlist-West of Hell,Hibria,Powerwolf,WASP,DioDisciples,Loudness,
    DangerousToys,Triumph,UDO,SkullFIST,Kobra&theLotus,
    TheOrderofChaos,Diemonds,Riot City, WMD,Demons & Wizards,Liv Sin,Suicidal Angels,Dee Snider
    bodomdragon
    Sub-Lieutenant

by bodomdragon » Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:45 am

I've been away from the forum for quite a few months, just got back, and I'm frankly quite surprised to see so much activity. Love your energy and passion, guys :)

I'm seriously disappointed by the lack of news. That is, more disappointed than usual. I've completely lost my motivation for this cruise. Didn't even get to participate on the wishlist and I'm seriously considering stepping down next year. I'm usually so hyped about the boat, I've been on the last 6 editions, but the way things are handled, which seem to get worse and worse, have definitely killed my motivation - thus my long absence in the forums.

I'm getting married next week and following that I'll spend one month in Japan. So my motivation and attention is definitely far away from the boat. We'll see what happens on the upcoming weeks and what are the first bands to be announced - and when, but it should be something KILLER, otherwise it won't catch my attention back.
    Wishlist:
    Ad.Infinitum--Aephanemer--Alestorm--Anthriel--AVANTASIA--Axxis--
    Battle.Beast--Beast.in.Black--Belzebubs--Be'lakor--BEYOND.THE.BLACK--Borealis--BORKNAGAR--Brymir--Caligula's.Horse--CHAOSBAY--Countless.Skies--Crowne--Dimmu.Borgir--DGM--Distorted.Harmony--DragonForce--Dream.Theater--Eclipse.(Sweden)--ELECTRIC.CALLBOY--Ensiferum--Evergrey--FEUERSCHWANZ--Fractal.Gates--Freedom.Call--GAMMA.RAY--Haken--Hei'an--Helloween--In.Mourning--INSOMNIUM--Kamelot--Keep.Of.Kalessin--KISSIN'.DYNAMITE--MERCENARY--Moonsorrow--Ne.Obliviscaris--Orden.Ogan--Pretty.Maids--Powerglove--PYRAMAZE--SABATON--SEVENTH.WONDER--Shade.Empire--Skeletoon--SOEN--Subterranean.Masquerade--SYMPHONY.X--Tremonti--Trollfest--Unleash.The.Archers--VISIONS.OF.ATLANTIS--VOLA--Volbeat--VOYAGER--WIDEK--Wilderun--Wintersun

2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2023, 2024: Survivor

Unofficial 70K User Guide: https://70kguide.wordpress.com
  • Godflesh
    Ensign

by Godflesh » Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:45 am

bodomdragon wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:45 am I've been away from the forum for quite a few months, just got back, and I'm frankly quite surprised to see so much activity. Love your energy and passion, guys :)

I'm seriously disappointed by the lack of news. That is, more disappointed than usual. I've completely lost my motivation for this cruise. Didn't even get to participate on the wishlist and I'm seriously considering stepping down next year. I'm usually so hyped about the boat, I've been on the last 6 editions, but the way things are handled, which seem to get worse and worse, have definitely killed my motivation - thus my long absence in the forums.

I'm getting married next week and following that I'll spend one month in Japan. So my motivation and attention is definitely far away from the boat. We'll see what happens on the upcoming weeks and what are the first bands to be announced - and when, but it should be something KILLER, otherwise it won't catch my attention back.
    Congratulations on your wedding! 👰 🎩 💒 And thanks for the kind words about the forum.
    I completely share your sentiment.
  • Phoenix
    Lieutenant

by Phoenix » Tue Aug 27, 2019 6:35 am

bodomdragon wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:45 am I've been away from the forum for quite a few months, just got back, and I'm frankly quite surprised to see so much activity. Love your energy and passion, guys :)

Congratulations on your wedding! Your absence had been noticed so I'm glad to hear you're doing well :)

And yeah, you're definitely not the only one feeling it. I'm done. I have better places to spend my money. Like taking less extravagant vacations so I can save up for my own trip to Japan. That's not a joke, that's true, so I'm so excited for you to be going on that trip. Hopefully (for all of us) when you come back something fun will have happened :lol:

Survivor:
    Out for 2023
Post Reply 341 posts