Post Reply 109 posts
2020 Set Length Speculation
    cowboy71
    Commander

Re: 2020 Set Length Speculation

by cowboy71 » Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:37 pm

Keeping this up to date.

Aborted got 45 minutes in 2018 but maybe the special sets will bump them to 60?
    Upcoming Gigs:
    -/-Scar-Symmetry-/-Wind-Rose-/-Unleash-The-Archers-/-Amaranthe
    2025 Wishlist
    Ad-Infinitum-/-Aephanemer-/-All-For-Metal-/-Alterium-/-Ancient-Bards-/-Atlas-Pain-/-Avantasia-/-Battlelore-/Beast-In-Black-/-Believer-/-Beyond-The-Black-/-Brothers-of-Metal-/-Catalyst-Crime-/-Civil-War-/-Circus-Maximus-/-Claymorean-/-Cobra-Spell-/-Dark-Moor-/-Dark-Sarah-/-Dartagnan-/-Diabulus-In-Musica-/-Edguy-/-Ex-Libris-/-Exit-Eden-/-Fellowship-/-Follow-The-Cipher-/-Frozen-Crown-/-Galderia-/-Hammer-King-/-Heavatar-/-Ignea-/-Imperial-Age-/-In-This-Moment-/-Jaldaboath-/-Kaledon-/-Labyrinth-/-Living-Sacrifice-/-Metalite-/-Moonlight-Haze-/-Neopera-/-Nestor-/-Nocturna-/-Orden-Ogan-/-Pathfinder-/-Phantom-Elite-/-Poisonblack-/-Power-Paladin-/-Powerwolf-/-The-Privateer-/-Rexoria-/-Running-Wild-/-She-Wolf-/-Silver-Bullet-/-Sleeping-Romance-/-Sojourner-/-Tarot-/-Ten-/-Thaurorod-/-The-Big-Deal-/-The-Dark-Element-/-Trick-or-Treat-/-Trillium-/-Unisonic-/-Valhalore-/-Vanishing-Point-/-Volturian-/-Walk-In-Darkness-/-Within-Temptation
  • Godflesh
    Ensign

by Godflesh » Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:39 pm

cowboy71 wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:37 pm Keeping this up to date.

No. Definitely no.
  • Jotunheimr
    Midshipman

by Jotunheimr » Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:44 pm

cowboy71 wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:37 pm Keeping this up to date.

The Terrorvision set will be 45 minutes because that’s the runtime of the album. Not sure about the other one.
    2015: 6511
    2016: 7455
    2020: 3240
    2025:

2024 Gigs: Tyr&Trollfest-/-Korpiklaani-/-Firewind-/-Kamelot-/-Exhumed-/-AmonAmarth

Wishlist: AdornedBrood-/-Alestorm-/-Arcturus-/-Arkona-/-Arsis-/-Artension-/-BeastInBlack-/-Blackguard-/-BlackMessiah-/-Borknagar-/-Carcass-/-CarpathianForest-/-CircleIICircle-/-Crownshift-/-Cruachan-/-Cryptosis-/-Dalriada-/-DerWegEinerFreiheit-/-DimmuBorgir-/-Einherjer-/-Eluveitie-/-Elvenking-/-Ensiferum-/-Enslaved-/-Equilibrium-/-Falconer-/-Falkenbach-/-Fejd-/-Feuerschwanz-/-Finntroll-/-Finsterforst-/-Firewind-/-FleshgodApocalypse-/-Folkearth-/-Forefather-/-Gåte-/-Glittertind-/-Gorguts-/-Haggard-/-HarakiriForTheSky-/-Heidevolk-/-Isengard-/-JonOlivasPain-/-Kampfar-/-KingOfAsgard-/-KivimetsanDruidi-/-Korpiklaani-/-Krisiun-/-LornaShore-/-Lumsk-/-Manegarm-/-Metsatoll-/-Mithotyn-/-Moonsorrow-/-Moonspell-/-Necrophagist-/-Nightwish-/-OfTheWandAndTheMoon-/-Otyg-/-Primordial-/-RiotV-/-RottingChrist-/-Sabaton-/-Savatage-/-SevenSpires-/-Skalmold-/-Skiltron-/-Skyforger-/-Sodom-/-Solstafir-/-Spellblast-/-SpiritsOfFire-/-SteelPanther-/-Svartsot-/-Swashbuckle-/-Testament-/-TheBlackDahliaMurder-/-TheHaunted-/-Thorondir-/-Thyrfing-/-ToxicHolocaust-/-Trollfest-/-Turisas-/-Tyr-/-Ulver-/-Varg-/-Verikalpa-/-Vintersorg-/-Warmen-/-Wintersun-/-Wolfchant
    cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:45 pm

Yeah I just checked.

I'm thinking I will stick them in the 45 minute category
    Upcoming Gigs:
    2025 Wishlist
    Ad-Infinitum-/-Aephanemer-/-All-For-Metal-/-Alterium-/-Ancient-Bards-/-Atlas-Pain-/-Avantasia-/-Battlelore-/Beast-In-Black-/-Believer-/-Beyond-The-Black-/-Brothers-of-Metal-/-Catalyst-Crime-/-Civil-War-/-Circus-Maximus-/-Claymorean-/-Cobra-Spell-/-Dark-Moor-/-Dark-Sarah-/-Dartagnan-/-Diabulus-In-Musica-/-Edguy-/-Ex-Libris-/-Exit-Eden-/-Fellowship-/-Follow-The-Cipher-/-Frozen-Crown-/-Galderia-/-Hammer-King-/-Heavatar-/-Ignea-/-Imperial-Age-/-In-This-Moment-/-Jaldaboath-/-Kaledon-/-Labyrinth-/-Living-Sacrifice-/-Metalite-/-Moonlight-Haze-/-Neopera-/-Nestor-/-Nocturna-/-Orden-Ogan-/-Pathfinder-/-Phantom-Elite-/-Poisonblack-/-Power-Paladin-/-Powerwolf-/-The-Privateer-/-Rexoria-/-Running-Wild-/-She-Wolf-/-Silver-Bullet-/-Sleeping-Romance-/-Sojourner-/-Tarot-/-Ten-/-Thaurorod-/-The-Big-Deal-/-The-Dark-Element-/-Trick-or-Treat-/-Trillium-/-Unisonic-/-Valhalore-/-Vanishing-Point-/-Volturian-/-Walk-In-Darkness-/-Within-Temptation
  • Godflesh
    Ensign

by Godflesh » Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:53 pm

I agree with these predictions, so far.
    cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:29 pm

Further updates. I don't think there is any argument that both latest additions with get 45 minutes.

At the moment we have 2 x 75 (and 1 special set), 6 x 60, and 11 x 45.

Comparing to 2019 we can possibly expect one more headliner, perhaps 8 more worthy of 60 minutes and the rest 45 minute-ers.
    Upcoming Gigs:
    2025 Wishlist
  • Downvod
    Midshipman

by Downvod » Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:25 pm

cowboy71 wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:29 pm Further updates. I don't think there is any argument that both latest additions with get 45 minutes.

Comparing to 2019 we can possibly expect one more headliner, perhaps 8 more worthy of 60 minutes and the rest 45 minute-ers.
    Where did you end up placing Venom?
    70k 2016: Cabin 7279
    70k 2017: Cabin 6361
    70k 2018: Cabin 1704
    70k 2019: Cabin 1402
    70k 2020: Cabin 9220
    70k 2023: Cabin 1704
    70k 2024: Cabin 1688

Abbath-/-AEPHANEMER-/-Aetherian-/-Alestorm-/-Allegaeon-/-Amon.Amarth-/-Amorphis-/-Andy.Gillion-/-Animals.as.Leaders-/-Annihilator-/-Arkona-/-Armageddon-/-Arsis-/-Ashes.of.Ares-/-Battlecross-/-Behemoth-/-BE'LAKOR-/-Belzebubs-/-Beyond.Creation-/-Black.Crown.Initiate-/-BLIND.GUARDIAN-/-Bloodbath-/-Bloodred.Hourglass-/-BORKNAGAR-/-Brymir-/-Carcass-/-Children.of.Bodom-/-Conjurer-/-The.Crown-/-Cthonic-/-Dalriada-/-Dark.Funeral-/-Dark.Tranquillity-/-Death.Angel-/-Death.to.All-/-Decapitated-/-Demonic.Resurrection-/-Demons.&.Wizards-/-Destruction-/-DGM-/-Dimmu.Borgir-/-Dragonlord-/-Enslaved-/-Equilibrium-/-ETERNAL.TEARS.OF.SORROW-/-Evocation-/-Finsterforst-/-Fleshgod.Apocalypse-/-Galactic.Empire-/-Ghoul-/-Gojira-/-Harakiri.for.the.Sky-/-Heidevolk-/-Hypocrisy-/-Iced.Earth-/-Immortal-/-Inferi-/-IN.MOURNING-/-Insomnium-/-In.Vain-/-Irreversible.Mechanism-/-Keep.of.Kalessin-/-Kreator-/-Kvelertak-/-Lovebites-/-Manegarm-/-Mastodon-/-Melechesh-/-Midnight-/-MGLA-/-Myrkur-/-Naglfar-/-Necrophagist-/-Necrophobic-/-Ne.Obliviscaris-/-Night.Demon-/-Nile-/-Obscura-/-Old.Man's.Child-/-Onslaught-/-Opeth-/-Orden.Ogan-/-Powerglove-/-Power.Trip-/-Psycroptic-/-Rage-/-Refuge-/-Revocation-/-Rivers.of.Nihil-/-Septicflesh-/-Solution.45-/-Swallow.the.Sun-/-SYMPHONY.X-/-TAAKE-/-Tankard-/-Testament-/-TRIBULATION-/-Uada-/-Unleash.the.Archers-/-Vader-/-Vallenfyre-/-Vektor-/-Warbringer-/-Watain-/-Winterfylleth-/-Winterhymn-/-WITCHERY-/-Witherscape-/-Wolfheart-/-Wolves.in.the.Throne.Room
    cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:44 pm

Downvod wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:25 pm
    cowboy71 wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:29 pm Further updates. I don't think there is any argument that both latest additions with get 45 minutes.

I reckon 60 for them. Maybe they will end up with 75, but going with 60.
    Upcoming Gigs:
    2025 Wishlist
  • Jotunheimr
    Midshipman

by Jotunheimr » Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:02 pm

cowboy71 wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:44 pm

I think a band has been 'demoted' only once. Testament got 75 minutes in 2011, and 60 minutes in 2017. Lots of promotions though including Iced Earth, Sabaton, Kreator, Eluveitie, Arch Enemy, etc.
    2025:

2024 Gigs: Tyr&Trollfest-/-Korpiklaani-/-Firewind-/-Kamelot-/-Exhumed-/-AmonAmarth

Wishlist: AdornedBrood-/-Alestorm-/-Arcturus-/-Arkona-/-Arsis-/-Artension-/-BeastInBlack-/-Blackguard-/-BlackMessiah-/-Borknagar-/-Carcass-/-CarpathianForest-/-CircleIICircle-/-Crownshift-/-Cruachan-/-Cryptosis-/-Dalriada-/-DerWegEinerFreiheit-/-DimmuBorgir-/-Einherjer-/-Eluveitie-/-Elvenking-/-Ensiferum-/-Enslaved-/-Equilibrium-/-Falconer-/-Falkenbach-/-Fejd-/-Feuerschwanz-/-Finntroll-/-Finsterforst-/-Firewind-/-FleshgodApocalypse-/-Folkearth-/-Forefather-/-Gåte-/-Glittertind-/-Gorguts-/-Haggard-/-HarakiriForTheSky-/-Heidevolk-/-Isengard-/-JonOlivasPain-/-Kampfar-/-KingOfAsgard-/-KivimetsanDruidi-/-Korpiklaani-/-Krisiun-/-LornaShore-/-Lumsk-/-Manegarm-/-Metsatoll-/-Mithotyn-/-Moonsorrow-/-Moonspell-/-Necrophagist-/-Nightwish-/-OfTheWandAndTheMoon-/-Otyg-/-Primordial-/-RiotV-/-RottingChrist-/-Sabaton-/-Savatage-/-SevenSpires-/-Skalmold-/-Skiltron-/-Skyforger-/-Sodom-/-Solstafir-/-Spellblast-/-SpiritsOfFire-/-SteelPanther-/-Svartsot-/-Swashbuckle-/-Testament-/-TheBlackDahliaMurder-/-TheHaunted-/-Thorondir-/-Thyrfing-/-ToxicHolocaust-/-Trollfest-/-Turisas-/-Tyr-/-Ulver-/-Varg-/-Verikalpa-/-Vintersorg-/-Warmen-/-Wintersun-/-Wolfchant
    Danny24601
    Petty Officer

by Danny24601 » Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:11 am

Jotunheimr wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:02 pm
    cowboy71 wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:44 pm

I think a band has been 'demoted' only once. Testament got 75 minutes in 2011, and 60 minutes in 2017. Lots of promotions though including Iced Earth, Sabaton, Kreator, Eluveitie, Arch Enemy, etc.
    Didn't Orphaned Land get dropped from 60 to 45 in 2017?

That said, my money is on Venom getting 75 minutes, though I'd love to be proven wrong.
    Seventh.Wonder/Theocracy/The.Night.Flight.Orchestra/Draconian/My.Dying.Bride/Primordial/Turisas/Katatonia/Swallow.the.Sun/Eluveitie/Seven.Spires/Tyr/Soilwork/Helloween/Countless.Skies/Anaal.Nathrakh/Frozen.Crown/Sonata.Arctica/Powerwolf/Blind.Guardian/Avantasia/Within.Temptation/Aephanemer/Serenity/Saturnus/Moonspell/Scardust/The.Halo.Effect/Sabaton/Noumena/Sojourner/Dragony/Omnium.Gatherum/Soen/Paradise.Lost/Shape.of.Despair/Hamferd/Aether.Realm/Brothers.of.Metal/Dawn.of.Solace/Tribulation/Twilight.Force/Be'lakor/Wilderun/Beast.in.Black/Ensiferum/Serenity.in.Murder/Dimmu.Borgir/Amon.Amarth/Visigoth/Satyricon/Cradle.of.Filth/Unleash.the.Archers/Moonsorrow/Epica
    Pellaz
    Lieutenant

by Pellaz » Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:06 pm

Danny24601 wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:11 am
    Jotunheimr wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:02 pm I think a band has been 'demoted' only once. Testament got 75 minutes in 2011, and 60 minutes in 2017. Lots of promotions though including Iced Earth, Sabaton, Kreator, Eluveitie, Arch Enemy, etc.
    Didn't Orphaned Land get dropped from 60 to 45 in 2017?

That said, my money is on Venom getting 75 minutes, though I'd love to be proven wrong.
    Yeah, me too. I've noticed a general lack of enthusiasm for Venom on this go-round. :twisted:

When Sigh ended their set here (Atlanta) with a cover of "Black Metal" last weekend, the consensus was that we'd gotten a better rendition than Venom could deliver now. :lol:
    2025 Wishlist:
    1349--Abbath--Abigail.Williams--Aephanemer--Agalloch--Agathodaimon--Alien.Weaponry--Allegaeon--Amon.Amarth--Amorphis--Animals.As.Leaders--Arkona--Arsis--Atrocity--Ayreon--Bal.Sagoth--Baroness--Barren.Earth--Battlelore--Behemoth--Below.7--Belzebubs--Be'lakor--Black.Crown.Initiate--Bloodbath--Borknagar--Broken.Trinity--Cannibal.Corpse--Chthe'ilist--CoF--Countless.Skies--Cynic--Demons.&.Wizards--Dimmu.Borgir--Dark.Tranquillity--Dragonforce--Edge.of.Sanity--Witherscape--anything.Dan.Swano--Eluveitie--Eneferens--Ensiferum--Enslaved--Eternal.Tears.of.Sorrow--Evergrey--Exmortus--Ex.Deo--Fear.Factory--Fires.In.the.Distance--Gojira--Graveworm--Green.Carnation--Hypocrisy--Immortal--Insomnium--Irreversible.Mechanism--Kalmah--Kamelot--Keep.Of.Kalessin--Korpiklaani--Kreator--Leprous--Luciferan.Light.Orchestra--Loss--Melechesh--Meshuggah--Mezarkabul--Moonspell--Mors.Principium.Est--Myrath--Ne.Obliviscaris--Nile--Nokturnal.Mortem--NorthTale--Novembers.Doom--Obscura--Old.Mans.Child--Opeth--Paladin--Poisonblack--Powerwolf--Primordial--Rapheumet's.Well--Raven--Rivers.Of.Nihil--Ryujin--Sabaton--Sadistic.Ritual--Samael--Satyricon--Savatage--Scale.the.Summit--Scorched.Moon--Septic.Flesh--Serious.Black--Seven.Spires--Sigh--Skalmold--Slough.Feg--Starkill--Steorrah--SYL--Suidakra--Summoning--Tarot--Therion--Thy.Serpent--Tomarum--Tomb.Mold--Turisas--Twilight.Force--Tyr--Vale.Of.Pnath--Valhalore--Vesania--Vintersorg--Wolfchant--Yyrkoon
    2015-2020; 2023-2024: Survivor
    2025: most likely
  • DarkMacek
    Oiler

by DarkMacek » Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:21 pm

Kamelot was a headliner in 2017 and got 60 in 2019.
    acidbasement
    Chief Petty Officer

by acidbasement » Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:13 am

Schenker is a headliner.
    I'm only here to do two things: play the bagpipes and gargle sulphuric acid. Looks like we're almost out of acid.
    Danny24601
    Petty Officer

by Danny24601 » Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:15 pm

acidbasement wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:13 am Schenker is a headliner.
    I think they only got 60 minutes in 2015 (the same year Venom got 75). Unless you think that MSF and MS Temple of Rock are worth different set times?

On the other hand, the MSF logo is weirdly massive on the artist page, so who knows?
    Seventh.Wonder/Theocracy/The.Night.Flight.Orchestra/Draconian/My.Dying.Bride/Primordial/Turisas/Katatonia/Swallow.the.Sun/Eluveitie/Seven.Spires/Tyr/Soilwork/Helloween/Countless.Skies/Anaal.Nathrakh/Frozen.Crown/Sonata.Arctica/Powerwolf/Blind.Guardian/Avantasia/Within.Temptation/Aephanemer/Serenity/Saturnus/Moonspell/Scardust/The.Halo.Effect/Sabaton/Noumena/Sojourner/Dragony/Omnium.Gatherum/Soen/Paradise.Lost/Shape.of.Despair/Hamferd/Aether.Realm/Brothers.of.Metal/Dawn.of.Solace/Tribulation/Twilight.Force/Be'lakor/Wilderun/Beast.in.Black/Ensiferum/Serenity.in.Murder/Dimmu.Borgir/Amon.Amarth/Visigoth/Satyricon/Cradle.of.Filth/Unleash.the.Archers/Moonsorrow/Epica
  • DarkMacek
    Oiler

by DarkMacek » Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:44 pm

The post from Andy said "headlining sets".
    Danny24601
    Petty Officer

by Danny24601 » Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:47 pm

DarkMacek wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:44 pm The post from Andy said "headlining sets".
    Ah, there it is.
    cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:45 am

Axxis 45 minutes as that is what they got in 2017.

Do we now reckon that Emperor will still get a 75 minute headline set, given that he is gonna be performing potentially 60 minute sets with Ihsahn as well?

I'm starting to think maybe Emperor will be just 60.
    Upcoming Gigs:
    2025 Wishlist
  • Godflesh
    Ensign

by Godflesh » Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:01 am

On the Independence, I believe the first band announced has always been a headliner.
  • Jotunheimr
    Midshipman

by Jotunheimr » Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:07 am

cowboy71 wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:45 am Axxis 45 minutes as that is what they got in 2017.

Do we now reckon that Emperor will still get a 75 minute headline set, given that he is gonna be performing potentially 60 minute sets with Ihsahn as well?

I'm starting to think maybe Emperor will be just 60.
    This is just pure speculation but I think the headliners will be Emperor, MSF, and Venom. Devin will likely get 60 minutes, which is consistent with his most recent festival appearances. Venom has definitely dropped in popularity among cruisers since they first played in 2012 but I guess Andy still has them up on a pedestal. It’s rare to see a headlining-tier band drop to a 60 minute slot with Testament being the only example that comes to mind (Kamelot and Arch Enemy don’t count because they both started out playing 60-minute sets). Maybe we’ll have more than 3 headliners, like we had in 2011.
    2025:

Danny24601
    Petty Officer

by Danny24601 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:37 am

Honestly, I think that Emperor is the band I am most certain is headlining, given both their role as first announcement, where they are billed at other fests, and how big a deal their announcement has been online and among my friends. (Ihsahn is a solid 60, I could imagine him getting 75, but not with Emperor on the same boat, and Emp is clearly the bigger of the two projects) The other three I am less certain on.

Venom are classic and influential, but also getting past their best before date, and their lunch is kind of getting stolen by Venom Inc.. Devin Townsend is badass and exciting, but he keeps on changing projects and names and that makes it more difficult for him to cash in on the entirety of his legacy. That said, I do think a career-spanning metal-focused set with SYL songs could be headliner-worthy for sure.

I wonder if folk aren't reading too much into MSF being labelled as getting headline sets. If I recall correctly, Andy has never really used terms like that to differentiate different set lengths (note that on the website bands are just listed alphabetically), with "headline" status being something the fanbase determines based on how long a set they are given. It seems within the realm of possibility to me that Andy would throw the H word around in one of his announcement posts (which he never takes too seriously anyways) without it necessarily referring to a 75 minute set. After all, his "Temple of Rock" project got 60 min in 2015 and I don't see much reason why he'd be a bigger deal in 2020 (this is especially relevant this year as Venom got 75 that year).

I'll throw my guess in as Emperor, MSF, and Devin, but I am quite unsure about that. I would be quite surprised, however, if one of the headliners is yet to be announced.
    Last edited by Danny24601 on Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  • Godflesh
    Ensign

by Godflesh » Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:56 am

Downvod wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:56 am
    Jotunheimr wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:53 am
    Godflesh wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:40 pm He’s headlining Bloodstock at equal footing with JUDAS PRIEST and BEHEMOTH (one night each), so I’d say 75mn too.
    Keep in mind that only 14 bands have been confirmed to play Bloodstock. Not that DT isn’t worthy of a headline spot, but there are plenty of bands to be announced including more big names.
    Not sure what the amount of bands so far announced on Bloodstock has to do with it. Fact is, that festival typically has some big names as headliners... usually bands that are too big for 70k. If Dev is a headliner there, he is very likely to be one on the boat.
    Bump
  • Jotunheimr
    Midshipman

by Jotunheimr » Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:13 pm

Godflesh wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:56 am
    Jotunheimr wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:53 am

Keep in mind that only 14 bands have been confirmed to play Bloodstock. Not that DT isn’t worthy of a headline spot, but there are plenty of bands to be announced including more big names.
    Not sure what the amount of bands so far announced on Bloodstock has to do with it. Fact is, that festival typically has some big names as headliners... usually bands that are too big for 70k. If Dev is a headliner there, he is very likely to be one on the boat.
    Bump
    It’s not just Bloodstock. Very rarely is he given a headline slot at any festival. Again, it’s not that he doesn’t deserve to headline, he’s just not big enough. If you search for “Devin Townsend live full show” on YouTube, you’ll see that most, if not all, of his sets are 60 minutes or less.
    2025:

• Godflesh
    Ensign

by Godflesh » Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:03 pm

Jotunheimr wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:13 pm
    Godflesh wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:56 am

Bump
    It’s not just Bloodstock. Very rarely is he given a headline slot at any festival. Again, it’s not that he doesn’t deserve to headline, he’s just not big enough. If you search for “Devin Townsend live full show” on YouTube, you’ll see that most, if not all, of his sets are 60 minutes or less.
    He played 75mn at Wacken 2014, same as AMON AMARTH, but less than AVANTASIA.
    The point I brought back up is to consider the size of the boat, not just the other festivals.
    You might be right, though, who knows.
    If DEVIN gets 60mn and VENOM 75 again, that would be...
    Disappointing.
    I can’t understand the skipper’s admiration for SCHENKER either, and looking at the app stats, I’m not alone.
    And I am a fan.
  • Godflesh
    Ensign

by Godflesh » Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:37 pm

Danny24601 wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:37 am Honestly, I think that Emperor is the band I am most certain is headlining, given both their role as first announcement, where they are billed at other fests, and how big a deal their announcement has been online and among my friends. (Ihsahn is a solid 60, I could imagine him getting 75, but not with Emperor on the same boat, and Emp is clearly the bigger of the two projects) The other three I am less certain on.

Venom are classic and influential, but also getting past their best before date, and their lunch is kind of getting stolen by Venom Inc.. Devin Townsend is badass and exciting, but he keeps on changing projects and names and that makes it more difficult for him to cash in on the entirety of his legacy. That said, I do think a career-spanning metal-focused set with SYL songs could be headliner-worthy for sure.

I wonder if folk aren't reading too much into MSF being labelled as getting headline sets. If I recall correctly, Andy has never really used terms like that to differentiate different set lengths (note that on the website bands are just listed alphabetically), with "headline" status being something the fanbase determines based on how long a set they are given. It seem within the realm of possibility to me that Andy would throw the H word around in one of his announcement posts (which he never takes to seriously anyways) without it necessarily referring to a 75 minute set.

I'll throw my guess in as Emperor, MSF, and Devin, but I am quite unsure about that. I would be quite surprised, however, if one of the headliners is yet to be announced.
    Wow, SCHENKER actually only got 60mn in 2015. And he had 2 original SCORPIONS members.
    4x75mn does sound like a possibility this year, since it happened before, and we already have a special 70mn show.
    So perhaps the unwritten rules will bend this year.
  • Godflesh
    Ensign

by Godflesh » Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:38 pm

It’s surprising how much uncertain we are about the 3 “headliners”. Then again, we’re surprised each year (e.g ELUVEITIE and RAGE this year).
    I agree with the current choices (EMPEROR, DEVIN, SCHENKER), but we might be surprised, including by having a 4th band playing 75mn.
    As long as it’s not VENOM, please.

I suppose length does not matter (!) as much as having the best timing on the pool deck, and most importantly, the best sound techs.
    SEPULTURA and OBITUARY had the best sound ever on the pool deck for me.
  • Jotunheimr
    Midshipman

by Jotunheimr » Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:53 pm

Who knows, MSF might even get 90 minutes considering how big their logo is on the artist page.
    2025:

cholernik
    Petty Officer

by cholernik » Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:07 am

For me the time slot is more important than the set length. I'm fine with that schenker fella being a headliner because it's something I plan on skipping anyhow.
    2020: Survivor
    cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:36 pm

cholernik wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:07 am For me the time slot is more important than the set length. I'm fine with that schenker fella being a headliner because it's something I plan on skipping anyhow.
    Indeed! Good opportunity to have like a sit-down dinner or something :)
    Upcoming Gigs:
    2025 Wishlist
    cegr80
    Lieutenant

by cegr80 » Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:56 pm

Jotunheimr wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:53 pm Who knows, MSF might even get 90 minutes considering how big their logo is on the artist page.
    LMAO, I thought the exact same thing. It is quite obscene
    2017.2018.2019.2020.2023.2024.GOLD.Survivor|2025 Wishlist:1349-1914-Aephanemer-Akercoke-Alcest-Alkaloid-AnaalNathrakh-AnAbstractIllusion-Atvm-Avatar-Avslut-Be'lakor-Belzebubs-ChapelOfDisease-Chthonic-Darkthrone-DiabloSwingOrchestra-Dimmu Borgir-Dodheimsgard-Draconian-EternalTearsOfSorrow-FreakKitchen-Hamferd-IATT-LochVostok-Marduk-NocnyKochanek-Satyricon-Schammasch-Scour-Shining(Nor)-Sigh-SulphurAeon-Turisas-Ulver-Virvum-Watain-WhiteWard
  • Jotunheimr
    Midshipman

by Jotunheimr » Tue Nov 12, 2019 3:50 pm

cegr80 wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:56 pm
    Jotunheimr wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:53 pm Who knows, MSF might even get 90 minutes considering how big their logo is on the artist page.
    It’s interesting that he often books headliners that are ranked pretty low on the wishlist. Do you think he’s trying to sell to a different target consumer (think MORC) in the hopes of selling out faster?
    2025:

cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:45 pm

Jotunheimr wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 3:50 pm
    It’s interesting that he often books headliners that are ranked pretty low on the wishlist. Do you think he’s trying to sell to a different target consumer (think MORC) in the hopes of selling out faster?
    An interesting theory! Conversely the Monsters of Rock cruise seems to be getting more and more former 70K bands on their lineup. No less than 5 this year if you include Russell Allen (because surely his presence on MOR cruise, rules out Symphony X on 70k). Perhaps a little bit of "friendly" competition going on there?
    Upcoming Gigs:
    2025 Wishlist
    cholernik
    Petty Officer

by cholernik » Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:07 am

I don't understand the appeal of the monsters of rock cruise honestly. I've seen damn near all of those bands for free at state fairs
    2020: Survivor
    Pellaz
    Lieutenant

by Pellaz » Thu Nov 14, 2019 4:27 pm

If so, it isn't working too well, is it?
    2025 Wishlist:
    1349--Abbath--Abigail.Williams--Aephanemer--Agalloch--Agathodaimon--Alien.Weaponry--Allegaeon--Amon.Amarth--Amorphis--Animals.As.Leaders--Arkona--Arsis--Atrocity--Ayreon--Bal.Sagoth--Baroness--Barren.Earth--Battlelore--Behemoth--Below.7--Belzebubs--Be'lakor--Black.Crown.Initiate--Bloodbath--Borknagar--Broken.Trinity--Cannibal.Corpse--Chthe'ilist--CoF--Countless.Skies--Cynic--Demons.&.Wizards--Dimmu.Borgir--Dark.Tranquillity--Dragonforce--Edge.of.Sanity--Witherscape--anything.Dan.Swano--Eluveitie--Eneferens--Ensiferum--Enslaved--Eternal.Tears.of.Sorrow--Evergrey--Exmortus--Ex.Deo--Fear.Factory--Fires.In.the.Distance--Gojira--Graveworm--Green.Carnation--Hypocrisy--Immortal--Insomnium--Irreversible.Mechanism--Kalmah--Kamelot--Keep.Of.Kalessin--Korpiklaani--Kreator--Leprous--Luciferan.Light.Orchestra--Loss--Melechesh--Meshuggah--Mezarkabul--Moonspell--Mors.Principium.Est--Myrath--Ne.Obliviscaris--Nile--Nokturnal.Mortem--NorthTale--Novembers.Doom--Obscura--Old.Mans.Child--Opeth--Paladin--Poisonblack--Powerwolf--Primordial--Rapheumet's.Well--Raven--Rivers.Of.Nihil--Ryujin--Sabaton--Sadistic.Ritual--Samael--Satyricon--Savatage--Scale.the.Summit--Scorched.Moon--Septic.Flesh--Serious.Black--Seven.Spires--Sigh--Skalmold--Slough.Feg--Starkill--Steorrah--SYL--Suidakra--Summoning--Tarot--Therion--Thy.Serpent--Tomarum--Tomb.Mold--Turisas--Twilight.Force--Tyr--Vale.Of.Pnath--Valhalore--Vesania--Vintersorg--Wolfchant--Yyrkoon
    2015-2020; 2023-2024: Survivor
    2025: most likely
    Danny24601
    Petty Officer

by Danny24601 » Thu Nov 14, 2019 4:34 pm

It's important to remember that we forum folk (or anyone who spends a lot of time online) are not completely representative of the 70k population. I think we trend more strongly towards folk/melodeath and less towards brutal death, trad/dad metal, and whatnot. I suspect that among cruise-goers as an average, MSF will be much more popular than Aether Realm, for example. Andy books bands to appeal to the audience as a whole, not just to those of us who are loud on the internet.
    cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:56 pm

2019 we had 14 bands get 60 minutes and 3 get 75.

I think we've got our three 75 minute bands already, but only 9 60s.

MAYBE there is an 'ace up the sleeve' headliner to come that might bump one of the others (or join them, as a 4th).

So to come, possibly:

1 x 75 minute band
    5 x 60 minute bands
    20 x 45 minute bands
    Upcoming Gigs:
    2025 Wishlist
  • Jotunheimr
    Midshipman

by Jotunheimr » Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:41 pm

Orphaned Land got 60 minutes in 2012 and 2014, no? Carach Angren will get 45 again, I guess.
    2025:

cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:45 pm

Jotunheimr wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:41 pm Orphaned Land got 60 minutes in 2012 and 2014, no? Carach Angren will get 45 again, I guess.
    Yes, but OL only got 45 minute sets in 2017 and very average 'middle of the day' slots at that. So I'm using that as a guideline.
    Upcoming Gigs:
    2025 Wishlist
    Danny24601
    Petty Officer

by Danny24601 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:48 pm

Jotunheimr wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:41 pm Orphaned Land got 60 minutes in 2012 and 2014, no? Carach Angren will get 45 again, I guess.
    Yeah OL are kinda hard to predict here. They've released a successful new record and toured a lot since 2017 though, and I think their profile has been raised by that. On the other hand, their last major NA tour was opening for Tyr, who only get 45 min round here.

More important question, why does Tyr only ever get 45 min? They seem far more popular round these parts than bands like Kalmah who get 60 min. And I love them to death.
  • Jotunheimr
    Midshipman

by Jotunheimr » Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:25 pm

cowboy71 wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:45 pm
    Yes, but OL only got 45 minute sets in 2017 and very average 'middle of the day' slots at that. So I'm using that as a guideline.
    Good call!
    2025:

cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:28 pm

Danny24601 wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:48 pm
    More important question, why does Tyr only ever get 45 min? They seem far more popular round these parts than bands like Kalmah who get 60 min. And I love them to death.
    Yeah I don't understand either why Tyr only ever get 45 minutes on the boat - their shows, (hell even on the very first 70k!) are always every bit as packed if not more so, than bands that get 60.
    Upcoming Gigs:
    2025 Wishlist