Post Reply 2037 posts
The Official 70000TONS OF METAL 2020 Megathread
  • clegane
    Petty Officer

Re: Going On A Witch Hunt

by clegane » Tue Dec 31, 2019 8:42 am

Who the fuck needs Cripper Bands?

Overkill would be very nice...and I have seen them more than 30 times live!

Obituary (I know...last year, but like Overkill, I can always have them...) :mrgreen:

Onslaught

Omen
    Wishlist: Mercyful Fate, Infernal Majesty, Meliah Rage,Toranaga, Evildead, Triptykon, Brutality, Massacre, Dismember, Flotsam a Jetsam, Protector, Razor, Helstar, Omen, Running Wild, Vltimas, Lik, Sorcery (SWE), Attacker

Survivor:
  • DarkMacek
    Oiler

by DarkMacek » Tue Dec 31, 2019 9:18 am

Symphony X and Blind Guardian are both headliners, dudes. It's out of the question for both at this point.

Edit: Iced Earth too
    Last edited by DarkMacek on Tue Dec 31, 2019 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
  • meshuggah
    Ensign

by meshuggah » Tue Dec 31, 2019 9:28 am

I've seen Brujeria several times. They give an amazing show, so I'm psyched for this 2-setter (unless they play at 5 AM). This also opens the gates for Napalm Death (I know, no repeats...maybe) and Carcass (At the Gates is already onbroad).
    cegr80
    Lieutenant

by cegr80 » Tue Dec 31, 2019 9:43 am

Not so pleased with the whole US bands being announced recently, to be honest. Aeternam has been the only exception
    2017.2018.2019.2020.2023.2024.GOLD.Survivor|2025 Wishlist:1349-1914-Aephanemer-Akercoke-Alcest-Alkaloid-AnaalNathrakh-AnAbstractIllusion-Atvm-Avatar-Avslut-Be'lakor-Belzebubs-ChapelOfDisease-Chthonic-Darkthrone-DiabloSwingOrchestra-Dimmu Borgir-Dodheimsgard-Draconian-EternalTearsOfSorrow-FreakKitchen-Hamferd-IATT-LochVostok-Marduk-NocnyKochanek-Satyricon-Schammasch-Scour-Shining(Nor)-Sigh-SulphurAeon-Turisas-Ulver-Virvum-Watain-WhiteWard
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Tue Dec 31, 2019 10:02 am

cowboy71 wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 6:35 am
    Metaltrout wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 6:19 am The past handful of announcements haven't done anything for me. They can make it up if O is for Obsequiae.
    Are they American? If not, no chance :roll:
    They are! Would be a nice add. We all know it's most likely Overkill though.

Also on Brujeria, how many members of the band are actually based in the US?
    I should get around to updating my signature
    taraimaro
    Oiler

Re: SEVEN WITCHES Classic Line-Up Reunion On Board Round X!

by taraimaro » Tue Dec 31, 2019 10:24 am

CatCross wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 3:16 pm Based on past experience I don't believe they charge you during the cruise, only on the last morning. In 2018 my credit cards were compromised on my way to FL, I couldn't get a new one in time and was instructed by CC company to just freeze it on and off until I returned. I unfroze my account on my phone when checking in at port and then froze it when we set sail, I did not inform RC. Since I didn't have internet for the cruise I planned to unfreeze once I woke up the last morning so that my balance could be paid. Of course they had already tried to charge my card while I was sleeping and I woke up to a note under my door that my card was declined and I had to settle my bill. When I got down to the service desk I unfroze my card and had them run it again. If they even ran one transaction or hold while I was on board, it would have been declined and they would have been bothering me WAY sooner.
    Thank you all for your replies!
    I based it on the RCC FAQ but wanted to hear people's own experiences of how things actually are.
    https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/ques ... py-request and https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/ques ... redit-card both mention that there will be holds (daily) to ensure the funds, but then there are people saying that there was just that one charge at the end of the cruise and nothing put on hold during the cruise.

I have a feeling that I saw some holds during the cruise this February, but I'm not sure because there were also some holds on purchases I made in Miami before the cruise. As I said, last year my budget was bigger so even a temporary double hold on my whole 350 USD bill wouldn't have been an issue. I also checked my account maybe once during the cruise even though I had the wifi plan.
    My payday is during the cruise and I'll be able to check the actual and exact account situation in Cozumel thanks to my phone plan having an okay price for roaming in popular tourist destinations like Mexico. I'm not planning on spending a lot on the boat, but I'd hate to have issues with double charges while abroad.
    metalforever wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 2:41 pm Hi my suggestion is error on the side of caution to avoid a misunderstanding , only spend the money on the cruise that is firmly in your account , prior to trip departure . I would not rely on a paycheck being deposited while on the cruise to spend .
    I wasn't planning on spending my paycheck on the boat before I actually get it. What I meant was that because of the payday being during the cruise, I'll have at least 300-400 euros extra available on my account at the end of the cruise, but now/during the cruise not that much, so having for example my 100 euros/dollars merch charged twice could get my account close to the limit and block me from buying other stuff so that's why I was a bit concerned. I tend to sometimes worry a bit too much. :|
    I've heard of so many people having double charges. If it's just temporarily hold on one or two 10 USD drinks, it's not that bad, but having 100+ USD on hold twice and for 4-5 days is more concerning. Of course one option is always that I just buy the merch on the last day when I know that a double or even a triple hold wouldn't be a problem, but with the risk of maybe some this year's 70K stuff being out of the size that I want.
    2017 - survivor
    2018 - survivor
    2019 - survivor
    2020 - survivor
    2023 - survivor
    2024 - survivor
    2025 - I wanna go already!
  • Metaltrout
    Petty Officer

by Metaltrout » Tue Dec 31, 2019 10:27 am

I really hope it's not Overkill. They are fine but they tour nonstop.
  • progsteph
    Crewman

by progsteph » Tue Dec 31, 2019 10:50 am

DarkMacek wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 9:18 am Symphony X and Blind Guardian are both headliners, dudes. It's out of the question for both at this point.

Edit: Iced Earth too
    Yes they might be headliners, but i don't see 3 on this cruise so why not ;-)
    Also Kamelot was a headliner and got 60 minutes on a later cruise. So it is room for at least one more i guess, hope ...but don't believe
    2017 survivor
    2018 survivor
    2020 survivor

Wishlist: Avatarium/Blind Guardian/Behemoth/Dimmu Borgir/Dream Theater/In Flames/Lacuna Coil/Machine Head/Oceans of Slumber/Paradise Lost/Savatage/Slayer/Stratovarius/Vanden Plas/Vuur/Zeal&Ardor
  • DJ Old Man Stares
    Midshipman

Re: A Very TOXIK Anniversary

by DJ Old Man Stares » Tue Dec 31, 2019 11:20 am

cowboy71 wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 9:07 pm 14 out of the last 16 bands from the US.

5 out of the last 10 Thrash.

Such diversity.... :?

You have MORE than kept the thrashers happy skipper, how about some true power metal PLEASE?
    Check out their 2nd album Think This. YIt seems like that one might be up you're alley as it's pretty proggy.
    Wishlist: Razor, Sacrifice, Laaz Rockit, Mekong Delta, Flames (GRC), Bal Sagoth, Running Wild, Sodom, Paradox, Exciter, Dark Angel, Sadus, Attacker, Believer, Emperor, Skelator, Spellcaster, Aeternus, Holy Moses, Setherial
  • DJ Old Man Stares
    Midshipman

by DJ Old Man Stares » Tue Dec 31, 2019 11:22 am

As far as the next O band, I'm truly hoping for Opera IX. Would give everyone plenty of variety and they can get in the country since they've already played an MDF.
    Wishlist: Razor, Sacrifice, Laaz Rockit, Mekong Delta, Flames (GRC), Bal Sagoth, Running Wild, Sodom, Paradox, Exciter, Dark Angel, Sadus, Attacker, Believer, Emperor, Skelator, Spellcaster, Aeternus, Holy Moses, Setherial
  • FinnPete
    Crewman

by FinnPete » Tue Dec 31, 2019 11:25 am

cowboy71 wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 9:07 pm 14 out of the last 16 bands from the US.

You have MORE than kept the thrashers happy skipper, how about some true power metal PLEASE?
    I have to say I do quite have a same music taste as Statsman. I just found out I have to skip this reserved cruise. I was going to Florida with my wife and 7yo son. My wife is still in the hospital because of pneumonia. She's getting better, but not early enough for our flights. But we also reserved a trip on Indy leaving right after 70000tons, I wanna do it with my son. We'll use our flights but instead of me going 70000tons we'll finally have some daddy & son Florida experience without mom! My son would've been happy to do also 70000tons (Thanks to 70000 crew who offered me the option!) but in the end the decision would've been too late for having the risky free resolution. And it would've been kinda impossible for me to leave my son for nightgigs if my some few liked bands would've had shows at night. So, the guy in 7386 I truly hope you've your best time there. I hope for the best but it looks like you'll have your own single room!

What would've made my decision more difficult if there would've been more symphonic/power metal bands. After latest announcements I feel kind of ok. So far I haven't found any insurance companies which would've covered this fully. If anyone have a good company where I should ask (Finnish citizen), I'd appreciate it. Just for the future.
    Last edited by FinnPete on Tue Dec 31, 2019 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
    cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Tue Dec 31, 2019 11:37 am

FinnPete wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 11:25 am

I have to say I do quite have a same music taste as Statsman. I just found out I have to skip this reserved cruise. I was going to Florida with my wife and 7yo son. My wife is still in the hospital because of pneumonia. She's getting better, but not early enough for our flights. But we also reserved a trip on Indy leaving right after 70000tons, I wanna do it with my son. We'll use our flights but instead of me going 70000tons we'll finally have some daddy & son Florida experience without mom! My son would've been happy to do also 70000tons (Thanks to 70000 crew who offered me the option!) but in the end the decision would've been too late for having the answers. And it would've been kinda impossible for me to leave my son for nightgigs if my some few liked bands would've had shows at night. So, the guy in 7386 I truly hope you've your best time there. I hope for the best but it looks like you'll have your own single room!
    So sorry to hear that mate :(
    Upcoming Gigs:
    -/-Halestorm?-/-Fleshgod-Apocalypse-/-Scar-Symmetry-/-Wind-Rose-/-Unleash-The-Archers
    2025 Wishlist
    Ad-Infinitum-/-Aephanemer-/-All-For-Metal-/-Alterium-/-Ancient-Bards-/-Atlas-Pain-/-Avantasia-/-Battlelore-/Beast-In-Black-/-Believer-/-Beyond-The-Black-/-Brothers-of-Metal-/-Catalyst-Crime-/-Civil-War-/-Circus-Maximus-/-Claymorean-/-Cobra-Spell-/-Dark-Moor-/-Dark-Sarah-/-Dartagnan-/-Diabulus-In-Musica-/-Edguy-/-Ex-Libris-/-Exit-Eden-/-Fellowship-/-Follow-The-Cipher-/-Frozen-Crown-/-Galderia-/-Hammer-King-/-Heavatar-/-Ignea-/-Imperial-Age-/-In-This-Moment-/-Jaldaboath-/-Kaledon-/-Labyrinth-/-Living-Sacrifice-/-Metalite-/-Moonlight-Haze-/-Neopera-/-Nestor-/-Nocturna-/-Orden-Ogan-/-Pathfinder-/-Phantom-Elite-/-Poisonblack-/-Power-Paladin-/-Powerwolf-/-The-Privateer-/-Rexoria-/-Running-Wild-/-She-Wolf-/-Silver-Bullet-/-Sleeping-Romance-/-Sojourner-/-Tarot-/-Ten-/-Thaurorod-/-The-Big-Deal-/-The-Dark-Element-/-Trick-or-Treat-/-Trillium-/-Unisonic-/-Valhalore-/-Vanishing-Point-/-Volturian-/-Walk-In-Darkness-/-Within-Temptation
  • deathmetalpat
    Ensign

by deathmetalpat » Tue Dec 31, 2019 2:17 pm

clegane wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 8:42 am Who the fuck needs Cripper Bands?

Overkill would be very nice...and I have seen them more than 30 times live!

Obituary (I know...last year, but like Overkill, I can always have them...) :mrgreen:

Onslaught

Omen
    Overkill would be the 51st and I believe the last time they played the cruise,they were the last band.Yes 3 sets of 3 bands after this announcement,both budget reasons and the fact you have shows at 4 in the morning and 10? In the morning mean you are going to get relatively unknown bands.Plus 70k wants that ,we had this band before they where big to happen.
    2012-14 Survivor
    2015-16 Abandoned Ship
    2017 Returned
    2018 Got a bad feeling about this Abandon Ship
    2019 This is Fucking Ridiculous
    2020 Bands ,what bands boat is all that matters
    2021 Yeah this isn’t happening
  • FinnPete
    Crewman

by FinnPete » Tue Dec 31, 2019 2:46 pm

cowboy71 wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 11:37 am So sorry to hear that mate :(
    Thanks, Dallas. It really sucks what happened but what is kind of more setback is that I realized cruise might not be included in travel insurance. I have to check with my insurance company. This cruise isn't part of my party flights and accommodation so... I'm prepared to lose all what I paid. So I suggest everyone of you to check if your travel insurance covers this kind of cases. So far I haven't found none if you flight out to US and have a one night stay in US. In case I have more info about this kind of scenario, I'll let you know here.
    Pellaz
    Lieutenant

by Pellaz » Tue Dec 31, 2019 7:04 pm

FinnPete wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 11:25 am What would've made my decision more difficult if there would've been more symphonic/power metal bands. After latest announcements I feel kind of ok. So far I haven't found any insurance companies which would've covered this fully. If anyone have a good company where I should ask (Finnish citizen), I'd appreciate it. Just for the future.
    Oh, man. Sorry you're not able to make it (probably).

I'm not sure if they cover any regions outside the U.S. or if there's a similar comparison site for Europe, but the website www.insuremytrip.com allows easy comparison of different insurance policies from insurance providers who specialize in travel insurance. Cancellation for medical reasons is usually included in "comprehensive" policies, and if you book the policy shortly after your initial trip payment (usually 2 or 3 weeks), then "cancel for any reason" coverage is also available.
    2025 Wishlist:
    1349--Abbath--Abigail.Williams--Aephanemer--Agalloch--Agathodaimon--Alien.Weaponry--Allegaeon--Amon.Amarth--Amorphis--Animals.As.Leaders--Arkona--Arsis--Atrocity--Ayreon--Bal.Sagoth--Baroness--Barren.Earth--Battlelore--Behemoth--Below.7--Belzebubs--Be'lakor--Black.Crown.Initiate--Bloodbath--Borknagar--Broken.Trinity--Cannibal.Corpse--Chthe'ilist--CoF--Countless.Skies--Cynic--Demons.&.Wizards--Dimmu.Borgir--Dark.Tranquillity--Dragonforce--Edge.of.Sanity--Witherscape--anything.Dan.Swano--Eluveitie--Eneferens--Ensiferum--Enslaved--Eternal.Tears.of.Sorrow--Evergrey--Exmortus--Ex.Deo--Fear.Factory--Fires.In.the.Distance--Gojira--Graveworm--Green.Carnation--Hypocrisy--Immortal--Insomnium--Irreversible.Mechanism--Kalmah--Kamelot--Keep.Of.Kalessin--Korpiklaani--Kreator--Leprous--Luciferan.Light.Orchestra--Loss--Melechesh--Meshuggah--Mezarkabul--Moonspell--Mors.Principium.Est--Myrath--Ne.Obliviscaris--Nile--Nokturnal.Mortem--NorthTale--Novembers.Doom--Obscura--Old.Mans.Child--Opeth--Paladin--Poisonblack--Powerwolf--Primordial--Rapheumet's.Well--Raven--Rivers.Of.Nihil--Ryujin--Sabaton--Sadistic.Ritual--Samael--Satyricon--Savatage--Scale.the.Summit--Scorched.Moon--Septic.Flesh--Serious.Black--Seven.Spires--Sigh--Skalmold--Slough.Feg--Starkill--Steorrah--SYL--Suidakra--Summoning--Tarot--Therion--Thy.Serpent--Tomarum--Tomb.Mold--Turisas--Twilight.Force--Tyr--Vale.Of.Pnath--Valhalore--Vesania--Vintersorg--Wolfchant--Yyrkoon
    2015-2020; 2023-2024: Survivor
    2025: most likely
  • Godflesh
    Ensign

by Godflesh » Tue Dec 31, 2019 7:13 pm

Can I interest you in an old American power metal band that starts with "O"? :lol:

OBSESSION
    United States
    1982–1989, 2004–present
    Famous for spawning the career of singer Michael Vescera.

OMEN
    United States
    1983–1988, 1996–present
    One of the forefathers of power metal acts, launched with groups such as Metallica, Anthrax, Megadeth, and Slayer.
    Pellaz
    Lieutenant

by Pellaz » Tue Dec 31, 2019 7:16 pm

cowboy71 wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 6:39 am I'm long past expecting anything from outside America at this point :(
    --Except MAYBE the last band to be announced. Thinking of Wintersun in 2015, although that might have been a special case.
    2025 Wishlist:
    1349--Abbath--Abigail.Williams--Aephanemer--Agalloch--Agathodaimon--Alien.Weaponry--Allegaeon--Amon.Amarth--Amorphis--Animals.As.Leaders--Arkona--Arsis--Atrocity--Ayreon--Bal.Sagoth--Baroness--Barren.Earth--Battlelore--Behemoth--Below.7--Belzebubs--Be'lakor--Black.Crown.Initiate--Bloodbath--Borknagar--Broken.Trinity--Cannibal.Corpse--Chthe'ilist--CoF--Countless.Skies--Cynic--Demons.&.Wizards--Dimmu.Borgir--Dark.Tranquillity--Dragonforce--Edge.of.Sanity--Witherscape--anything.Dan.Swano--Eluveitie--Eneferens--Ensiferum--Enslaved--Eternal.Tears.of.Sorrow--Evergrey--Exmortus--Ex.Deo--Fear.Factory--Fires.In.the.Distance--Gojira--Graveworm--Green.Carnation--Hypocrisy--Immortal--Insomnium--Irreversible.Mechanism--Kalmah--Kamelot--Keep.Of.Kalessin--Korpiklaani--Kreator--Leprous--Luciferan.Light.Orchestra--Loss--Melechesh--Meshuggah--Mezarkabul--Moonspell--Mors.Principium.Est--Myrath--Ne.Obliviscaris--Nile--Nokturnal.Mortem--NorthTale--Novembers.Doom--Obscura--Old.Mans.Child--Opeth--Paladin--Poisonblack--Powerwolf--Primordial--Rapheumet's.Well--Raven--Rivers.Of.Nihil--Ryujin--Sabaton--Sadistic.Ritual--Samael--Satyricon--Savatage--Scale.the.Summit--Scorched.Moon--Septic.Flesh--Serious.Black--Seven.Spires--Sigh--Skalmold--Slough.Feg--Starkill--Steorrah--SYL--Suidakra--Summoning--Tarot--Therion--Thy.Serpent--Tomarum--Tomb.Mold--Turisas--Twilight.Force--Tyr--Vale.Of.Pnath--Valhalore--Vesania--Vintersorg--Wolfchant--Yyrkoon
    2015-2020; 2023-2024: Survivor
    2025: most likely
  • metalforever
    Chief Petty Officer

by metalforever » Tue Dec 31, 2019 8:28 pm

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO EVERYONE !!!!!!!
    WELCOME 2020 IN ABOUT 90 MINUTES FROM NOW EAST COAST TIME !!!!!!!!!!! :cheers: :cheers:
  • Metaltrout
    Petty Officer

by Metaltrout » Tue Dec 31, 2019 8:31 pm

It's almost new years. Announce officium triste or Obsequiae already. Then follow up with Mgla or My Dying Bride. After that you can announce whatever you want.
    Cardest
    Midshipman

by Cardest » Tue Dec 31, 2019 8:50 pm

Hey y'all sailors!
    Happy New Year and....Happy New Decade from Atlanta, Georgia!
    I went to the local Kroger, grabbed some beers and was tempted to buy some fireworks.
    But screw it, there's plenty of that going off here in Little Five Points right now.
    Let's hope we get that O band the second the clocks ticks into 2020!
    Or at least on January 1.

Wish list: Grand Magus, ARCTURUS, Borknagar, SIGH, Vastum, ABSU, Temple of Void, Frozen Crown, King Diamond/Mercyful Fate, Kawir, Vuur, Chthonic, Cemetery Urn, Tombs, Acid Witch, Slough Feg, Hammers of Misfortune
    cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Tue Dec 31, 2019 9:46 pm

Interesting to compare the global diversity (or lack thereof) of the 2020 lineup compared to previous years.

With 10 to go, (and I'd bet the farm on at least the next announcement being USA/Canada) we are already at the most bands ever from USA/Canada and the least number of countries represented in the 60-band-lineup era.

2020 - bands from 13 countries, 22 from USA/Canada
    2019 - bands from 19 countries, 11 from USA/Canada
    2018 - bands from 20 countries, 15 from USA/Canada
    2017 - bands from 19 countries, 19 from USA/Canada
    2016 - bands from 19 countries, 10 from USA/Canada
    2015 - bands from 16 countries, 17 from USA/Canada

2014 - bands from 12 countries, 15 from USA/Canada
    2013 - bands from 14 countries, 13 from USA/Canada
    2012 - bands from 12 countries, 15 from USA/Canada
    2011 - bands from 10 countries, 18 from USA/Canada
    Upcoming Gigs:
    -/-Halestorm?-/-Fleshgod-Apocalypse-/-Scar-Symmetry-/-Wind-Rose-/-Unleash-The-Archers
    2025 Wishlist
    Ad-Infinitum-/-Aephanemer-/-All-For-Metal-/-Alterium-/-Ancient-Bards-/-Atlas-Pain-/-Avantasia-/-Battlelore-/Beast-In-Black-/-Believer-/-Beyond-The-Black-/-Brothers-of-Metal-/-Catalyst-Crime-/-Civil-War-/-Circus-Maximus-/-Claymorean-/-Cobra-Spell-/-Dark-Moor-/-Dark-Sarah-/-Dartagnan-/-Diabulus-In-Musica-/-Edguy-/-Ex-Libris-/-Exit-Eden-/-Fellowship-/-Follow-The-Cipher-/-Frozen-Crown-/-Galderia-/-Hammer-King-/-Heavatar-/-Ignea-/-Imperial-Age-/-In-This-Moment-/-Jaldaboath-/-Kaledon-/-Labyrinth-/-Living-Sacrifice-/-Metalite-/-Moonlight-Haze-/-Neopera-/-Nestor-/-Nocturna-/-Orden-Ogan-/-Pathfinder-/-Phantom-Elite-/-Poisonblack-/-Power-Paladin-/-Powerwolf-/-The-Privateer-/-Rexoria-/-Running-Wild-/-She-Wolf-/-Silver-Bullet-/-Sleeping-Romance-/-Sojourner-/-Tarot-/-Ten-/-Thaurorod-/-The-Big-Deal-/-The-Dark-Element-/-Trick-or-Treat-/-Trillium-/-Unisonic-/-Valhalore-/-Vanishing-Point-/-Volturian-/-Walk-In-Darkness-/-Within-Temptation
  • Andy
    THE SKIPPER

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

by Andy » Tue Dec 31, 2019 9:59 pm

70000TONS OF METAL would like to wish everyone around the Globe a Happy and Headbanging New Year.

We can't wait to see all of you Sailors next week for Round X of 70000TONS OF METAL, The Original, The World's Biggest Heavy Metal Cruise!

Razor Ramon
    Midshipman

Re: HAPPY NEW YEAR!

by Razor Ramon » Tue Dec 31, 2019 10:11 pm

Celebrate be announcing a few actual good bands.
    70000 Tons 2019
    Wishlist:Anneke-Van-Geirsbergen-VUUR-/-Battlelore-/-Borknagar-/-My-Dying-Bride-/-Draconian-/-Harakiri-For-The-Sky-/-The-Gathering-/-Anathema-/-Within-Temptation-/-Novembre-/-Katatonia-/-Lacuna-Coil-/-Rainover-/-Moonspell-/-Funeral-/-Isole/-Nightwish-/-Riverside-/-The-Crown-/-Autumnal-/-Aeonian-Sorrow-/-Throes-Of-Dawn-/-Thurisaz-/-Daylight-Dies-/-Shape-Of-Despair-/-Arcturus-/-Be'lakor-/-Ereb-Altor-/-Evocation-/-Tyranny-/-Sulphur-Aeon-/-Ajattara-/-Sojourner-/-Oceans-Of-Slumber-/-Lik-/-Thyrfing-/-In-The-Woods-/-Skepticism-/-Heaven-Shall-Burn-/-Darkwell-/-Vetrar-Draugurinn-/-Therion-/-Haggard-/-Draconian-/-Bloodred-Hourglass-/-Bowel-Fuck-/-Batushka-/-Mork-/-Devour-The-Fetus-/-Perturbator-/-Carpenter-Brut-/-Hallatar-/-Infiltration-/-Myrkur-/-Before-The-Dawn-/-Letters-From-The-Colony-/-Demonical-/-Helevorn-/-Viscera-Infest-/-Wormrot-/-And-Oceans
    My musical taste:http://www.last.fm/user/Anthony3
  • clegane
    Petty Officer

by clegane » Wed Jan 01, 2020 2:30 am

Happy New Year to all of you!
    Wishlist: Mercyful Fate, Infernal Majesty, Meliah Rage,Toranaga, Evildead, Triptykon, Brutality, Massacre, Dismember, Flotsam a Jetsam, Protector, Razor, Helstar, Omen, Running Wild, Vltimas, Lik, Sorcery (SWE), Attacker

Survivor:
  • metalforever
    Chief Petty Officer

by metalforever » Wed Jan 01, 2020 6:45 am

cowboy71 wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 9:46 pm Interesting to compare the global diversity (or lack thereof) of the 2020 lineup compared to previous years.

With 10 to go, (and I'd bet the farm on at least the next announcement being USA/Canada) we are already at the most bands ever from USA/Canada and the least number of countries represented in the 60-band-lineup era.

2020 - bands from 13 countries, 22 from USA/Canada
    2019 - bands from 19 countries, 11 from USA/Canada
    2018 - bands from 20 countries, 15 from USA/Canada
    2017 - bands from 19 countries, 19 from USA/Canada
    2016 - bands from 19 countries, 10 from USA/Canada
    2015 - bands from 16 countries, 17 from USA/Canada

2014 - bands from 12 countries, 15 from USA/Canada
    2013 - bands from 14 countries, 13 from USA/Canada
    2012 - bands from 12 countries, 15 from USA/Canada
    2011 - bands from 10 countries, 18 from USA/Canada
    thanks for posting this , I was just thinking about how it compared to past years !

Happy New Year ! :cheers:
  • metalforever
    Chief Petty Officer

by metalforever » Wed Jan 01, 2020 7:06 am

the years that there were 15 American bands sounded about right , more diversity from other parts of the world , I felt this year approximately 15 would have been a good number and I am from America , just to point out , all the other countries added in , add a very big sense of richness and completion and diversity I feel . Some bands from other parts of the world it it is difficult to see in USA , so I would prefer to see them on 70000 Tons !
    cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Wed Jan 01, 2020 7:38 am

How about if we are spewing out one American band after another....

LAST BASTION? Great american power metal band. (PLEASE MORE POWER METAL)

And if the O is going to be another American band can it at least be:

ONCE HUMAN - at least its not thrash, and the lead singer is an Aussie :D
    Upcoming Gigs:
    2025 Wishlist
  • metalforever
    Chief Petty Officer

by metalforever » Wed Jan 01, 2020 7:48 am

Here is a cool O band , these guys are from Australia , Obsidian Monolith they are melodic death metal :shred:

these guys qualify to be a Cripper band !
  • metalforever
    Chief Petty Officer

by metalforever » Wed Jan 01, 2020 7:55 am

metalforever wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 7:48 am Here is a cool O band , these guys are from Australia , Obsidian Monolith they are melodic death metal :shred:

these guys qualify to be a Cripper band !
    come on Skipper give these guys a chance for a Cripper spot !
  • jafo
    Wiper

by jafo » Wed Jan 01, 2020 8:12 am

I appreciate what people are saying, but I don’t think country of origin tells the whole story. Living in Seattle over the past 10+ years, international bands like Aborted, Carach Angren, Finntroll, Leaves’ Eyes, Wintersun, etc. came through on multiple occasions while American bands like Ross the Boss, Seven Witches, Toxik, Vio-lence, and Whiplash didn’t come through at all. Atheist came once, Flotsam maybe twice.

Lots of the most highly requested international bands I see posted by cruisers tour the USA all the time (Amon Amarth, Hammerfall, Sabaton, etc., to name just a few). For an American, it is much easier to see those bands than say a Deceased, Lizzy Borden, Omen, Sacred Reich, etc. or Canadian bands like Exciter, Razor, or Sacrifice.

My favorite part of 70K over the years has been getting to see bands that just don’t tour in the USA. And a lot of those bands have been American. I get that a lot of people don’t like the particular band(s) being announced as of late, but that seems more like a genre thing than country of origin.
    2011-13: Survived
    BTH: Survived
    2014: Canceled
    2015-18: Abandoned Ship
    2019: Returned
    2020: Final Sailing
  • metalforever
    Chief Petty Officer

by metalforever » Wed Jan 01, 2020 8:20 am

jafo wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 8:12 am I appreciate what people are saying, but I don’t think country of origin tells the whole story. Living in Seattle over the past 10+ years, international bands like Aborted, Carach Angren, Finntroll, Leaves’ Eyes, Wintersun, etc. came through on multiple occasions while American bands like Ross the Boss, Seven Witches, Toxik, Vio-lence, and Whiplash didn’t come through at all. Atheist came once, Flotsam maybe twice.

Lots of the most highly requested international bands I see posted by cruisers tour the USA all the time (Amon Amarth, Hammerfall, Sabaton, etc., to name just a few). For an American, it is much easier to see those bands than say a Deceased, Lizzy Borden, Omen, Sacred Reich, etc. or Canadian bands like Exciter, Razor, or Sacrifice.

My favorite part of 70K over the years has been getting to see bands that just don’t tour in the USA. And a lot of those bands have been American. I get that a lot of people don’t like the particular band(s) being announced as of late, but that seems more like a genre thing than country of origin.
    you do make some interesting points , Seattle is a great city for entertainment and different bands to come thru there , I am not from the west coast of USA to take advantage of what you speak of , we can agree to disagree , I respect your point of view and you have a
    Happy New Year !
    I am interested in the countries the bands come from and the different genres also .
    cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Wed Jan 01, 2020 8:24 am

Very solid points raised and I agree, my concern in particular is more genre-based.

If you look at the (broadly speaking) genres of the most recent announcements:

Death, Melodeath, Black, Grind, Death, Symphonic(!!), Death, Doom, Thrash, Thrash, Tech-Death, prog, Thrash, Trad, Trad, Thrash, Melodeath, Thrash, Extreme.

Its FIRMLY BIASED towards the extreme end of the spectrum. 15 to the heavier side, 3 kinda in the middle (Seven Witches, Ghost Ship, and Ross The Boss), and only one (Edenbridge) on the lighter side.

And note that I'm not complaining for myself - I mean there are probably 14 sets I'd like to catch out of the last 19 announcements. I'm just doing my statistical duty to point out the very lopsided skew in this.
    Upcoming Gigs:
    2025 Wishlist
  • Andy
    THE SKIPPER

The Cruise I Remember

by Andy » Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:27 am

Sailors, were you ONCE HUMAN? Prepare to have your earbuds fascinated by their signature grooves twice on board as we make our way to beautiful Cozumel and back.

70000TONS OF METAL, The Original, The World's Biggest Heavy Metal Cruise leaves from Port Everglades on January 7th with 3,000 of you Sailors for the ultimate Heavy Metal Festival experience.

Is it even "P"ossible to start your new year off in a better way? We don't think so!

Gratch
    Chief Petty Officer

Re: The Cruise I Remember

by Gratch » Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:38 am

MOAR PIZZA!!

Hey Skip, Pallbearer is US-based. Just sayin..
    Survivor 2016/17/18/19/20

Ultimate Wishlist Bands
    Anaal Nathrakh - Behemoth - Igorrr - Khemmis - Myrkur - The Ocean - Pallbearer - Sigh - Tribulation - Sentient Horror - Turisas - Wilderun - Witherscape - Zeal & Ardor
  • metalforever
    Chief Petty Officer

by metalforever » Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:44 am

Gratch wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:38 am MOAR PIZZA!!

Hey Skip, Pallbearer is US-based. Just sayin..
    Pallbearer would be so cool !, :shred:
  • blasthead
    Wiper

by blasthead » Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:23 am

POWER TRIP!!!!!

Also book RAZOR, CARCASS and RED DEATH!

cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:24 am

cowboy71 wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 7:38 am ...

ONCE HUMAN - at least its not thrash, and the lead singer is an Aussie :D
    Thanks skipper :D
    Upcoming Gigs:
    2025 Wishlist
  • LoudStonedDrunk
    Oiler

by LoudStonedDrunk » Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:25 am

blasthead wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:23 am POWER TRIP!!!!!

Pretty sure they're already booked for shows during cruise time
  • blasthead
    Wiper

by blasthead » Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:32 am

LoudStonedDrunk wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:25 am
    blasthead wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:23 am POWER TRIP!!!!!

Pretty sure they're already booked for shows during cruise time
    Nope, no dates until Jan 11th in Dallas with Vio-lence at that show poster I posted. Same goes for Carcass, Razor and so if we got Vio-lence on the boat the bands I mentioned could all be potentials. Red Death have dates during the boat time frame...
  • progsteph
    Crewman

by progsteph » Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:35 am

Also a Happy new Year to everyone!

Well if there are just US-Bands left then the point of "diversity" in genres still bothers me...
    You can have Iced Earth, Oceans of Slumber, Symphony X + Adrenaline Mob, Queensryche....and many more...
    why, please why not!....
    2017 survivor
    2018 survivor
    2020 survivor

Wishlist: Avatarium/Blind Guardian/Behemoth/Dimmu Borgir/Dream Theater/In Flames/Lacuna Coil/Machine Head/Oceans of Slumber/Paradise Lost/Savatage/Slayer/Stratovarius/Vanden Plas/Vuur/Zeal&Ardor
Post Reply 2037 posts