Locked 157 posts
Open Mic Night - Details and Songs to Consider?
    KK Cruiser
    Petty Officer

Re: Open Mic Night - Details and Songs to Consider?

by KK Cruiser » Tue May 18, 2010 12:57 pm

You mean a double bass? Or just a acoustic guitar like bass?
    CsarG
    Oiler

by CsarG » Wed May 19, 2010 10:12 am

Image Thats an acoustic bass guitar :)

Im up for playing bass if you wanna play some common cover band songs like maiden, metallica, priest, zeppelin, pink floyd, etc :)

And of course anything from Opeth ;)
  • Max_Rockwell
    Chief Petty Officer

by Max_Rockwell » Thu May 20, 2010 11:38 am

That looks pretty sweet. I want one now.
    BlackToothGrin
    Crewman

by BlackToothGrin » Wed May 26, 2010 2:24 pm

Someone should bring a cello! That would be quite the pain in the arse to pack around. :? I do absolutely love the sound of them though. ABSOLUTELY gorgeous!
    Schluckspecht666
    Petty Officer

by Schluckspecht666 » Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:43 am

BlackToothGrin wrote:Someone should bring a cello! That would be quite the pain in the arse to pack around. :? I do absolutely love the sound of them though. ABSOLUTELY gorgeous!

Well, request Apocalyptica to be added to the bill and you have a whole bunch of them.
    Element0s
    Midshipman

by Element0s » Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:53 pm

My guitar "skills" are pretty sorry at best. I hope there's some sort of synth/keyboard available for these jams sessions, especially with so many keyboard-players in the bands
    SAMANDRIEL:
    Female-Fronted Melodic Power Metal

GATEKEEPER:
    Epic Heavy/Doom Metal
    Master Killer
    Crewman

by Master Killer » Tue Jul 13, 2010 7:14 pm

Schluckspecht666 wrote:
    BlackToothGrin wrote:Someone should bring a cello! That would be quite the pain in the arse to pack around. :? I do absolutely love the sound of them though. ABSOLUTELY gorgeous!

Well, request Apocalyptica to be added to the bill and you have a whole bunch of them.

I know this is off topic, but I would actually like Apocalyptica added to the bill. They rule.
  • Max_Rockwell
    Chief Petty Officer

by Max_Rockwell » Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:51 pm

So I just went searching for this thread to try and revive it and see if anyone was still interested in learning some songs so we can maybe jam them on the boat?

If you're not a musician, you can recommend songs you'd like to hear covered. I think this would be a great way for us, the fans, to entertain those who've entertained us. Hopefully we do get a chance to jam out, so we should be prepared nonetheless.

So yeah, if you're a musician and interested, post up some songs you'd learn, what you play or if you sing, and we'll go from there. If you're not a musician, some recommendations of songs you'd like to hear. Maybe limit it to a few, and try to make the songs something most metal fans would recognize. Covering lesser known bands would be awesome, but we're trying to get everyone involved when playing, if you know what I mean? So sing-along type songs are welcomed! If there are any more details that need to be pointed out, please do so, seeing as I'm lazy at the moment.
    Azazel101
    Sub-Lieutenant

by Azazel101 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:05 pm

I think a Type O Negative and Dio song need to be done all though i do not think i am the right person for either.
    ThyDarkendShade-/-SickofitAll-/-ArchEneny-/-AmonAmarth-/-Atrophy-/-D.R.I.-/-SuicidalTendencies-/-SLAYERlastshow-/-AmoredSaint-/-Autopsy-/-Doyle-/-AcidBath-/-BodyCount-/-Defiance-/-Dismember-/-ViscularAssault-/-Clutch-/-Entrails-/-EntombedAD-/-Hypocrisy-/-JungleRot-/-BrokenHope-/-NuclearAssault-/-Solstafir-/-LodyKong-/-Swans-/-Izgrim-/-LawnmowerDeth-/-TheExploited-/-CrypticSlaughter-/-FEAR
    Survived2011/12/13/14/15/16/17/18/19/BTH
    asmegin
    Midshipman

by asmegin » Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:17 pm

Max_Rockwell wrote:So I just went searching for this thread to try and revive it and see if anyone was still interested in learning some songs so we can maybe jam them on the boat?

If you're not a musician, you can recommend songs you'd like to hear covered. I think this would be a great way for us, the fans, to entertain those who've entertained us. Hopefully we do get a chance to jam out, so we should be prepared nonetheless.

So yeah, if you're a musician and interested, post up some songs you'd learn, what you play or if you sing, and we'll go from there. If you're not a musician, some recommendations of songs you'd like to hear. Maybe limit it to a few, and try to make the songs something most metal fans would recognize. Covering lesser known bands would be awesome, but we're trying to get everyone involved when playing, if you know what I mean? So sing-along type songs are welcomed! If there are any more details that need to be pointed out, please do so, seeing as I'm lazy at the moment.

I'm a professional guitarist for 12 years and I would LOVE to work with ya and anyone else on songs. I'm especially a pro at slayer covers ;)

Songs:
    -Ozzy - Crazy Train
    -Metallica - seek and destroy,
    -Slayer - War Ensemble, Rain in Blood, Angel of Death, Silent Scream, Manditory Suicide, Post Mortem and many more.
    -Dio - Rainbow in the Dark, Holy Diver.

If anyone is serious about it, feel free to message me via facebook or any type of messengers.

-Gmail: asmegin01@gmail.com
    -Aim: meshuggahdavid
    -MSN: emtee_david@hotmail.com

Or text me at 903-267-5812
    Cabin # 6072
    My band: www.myspace.com/colorofaum
    WizardBeast
    Captain

by WizardBeast » Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:37 pm

i wish i could bring my guitar but i can't travel all the way across the country with that thing- pain in the butt! i could probably bust out some acoustic Judas Priest, Megadeth, Queensryche, and a little Rush.
    2011, Barge to Hell, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018 and 2020 SOOOOON
  • sar01061969
    Petty Officer

by sar01061969 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:34 pm

A Type o song like Black #1 would be good
    Captain Metal
    Ensign

by Captain Metal » Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:55 pm

Okay, I have some songs that my girlfriend would like to perform for this. Whenever she bothers to getting around to making a profile for the forum, then she'll chime in on this for sure.

This is essentially what she has in mind

Rainbow - A Light In The Black
    the Gathering - On Most Surfaces

Also a song from Amaran, Judas Priest and Nightwish (Tarja era of course) still to be determined. I think I'll pester her tonight to get these picked already.

Anyone curious to hear how she sounds, you can check out her previous band, right here: http://www.myspace.com/aghora

Being a classically trained operatic vocalist she could do most of these songs in her sleep. So anyone up for the challenge?
    Vader-Dream Evil-Accept-Thrash Or Die-Evile-Brainstorm-Kalmah-Paradox-The Crown-Morgana Lefay-Gama Bomb-Hail Of Bullets-Powermad-Firewind-Hypocrisy-Iron Savior-Communic.....FOR 2015!
    Heabymetawhunta
    Sub-Lieutenant

by Heabymetawhunta » Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:47 pm

On bass i been playing

Accept - breaker
    Running Wild - Port Royal
    B. Sabbath - Wishing well,
    King Diamond - Invisible guest.

let me know if anyone knows these, I'm always down
    :cheers:
    70K TONS OF METAL 2011 SURVIVOR!

2012 wishlist: Metal Inquisitor-grim reaper- Hell - OZ!
    WizardBeast
    Captain

by WizardBeast » Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:51 pm

if we don't have enough musical instruments, i vote for Beavis & Butthead style bah-bah-dah-dum mouth-made guitar riffs and people banging surfaces for impromptu drumming. I am totally down to sing or mouth guitar parts over that nonsense.

my dream is to get 4 people together to do Tom Sawyer entirely with mouth sounds and someone (like me, can do) singing over it.

i don't know if anyone's as big of an ass as i am though. (ps - does that sound like a CHALLENGE?!?!?!) hehe

:headbanger: :headbanger: :headbanger: :headbanger:
    Disaster Area
    Lieutenant
    Location: Ventura<California<USA<North America<Western Hemisphere<Earth

by Disaster Area » Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:53 pm

rhiawiz wrote:if we don't have enough musical instruments, i vote for Beavis & Butthead style bah-bah-dah-dum mouth-made guitar riffs and people banging surfaces for impromptu drumming. I am totally down to sing or mouth guitar parts over that nonsense.

my dream is to get 4 people together to do Tom Sawyer entirely with mouth sounds and someone (like me, can do) singing over it.

i don't know if anyone's as big of an ass as i am though.

wow, I sense a great youtube moment in the making...
    Disaster Area: a plutonium rock band from the Gagrakacka Mind Zones, are generally held to be not only the loudest rock band in the history of the Galaxy, but the loudest noise of any kind at all.

Vet of 2011,12,14,15,16
    WizardBeast
    Captain

by WizardBeast » Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:56 pm

Disaster Area wrote:
    rhiawiz wrote:if we don't have enough musical instruments, i vote for Beavis & Butthead style bah-bah-dah-dum mouth-made guitar riffs and people banging surfaces for impromptu drumming. I am totally down to sing or mouth guitar parts over that nonsense.

i don't know if anyone's as big of an ass as i am though.

wow, I sense a great youtube moment in the making...

If i can get a good backing band, for SURE! LOL
    Bavarian Amped
    Crewman

by Bavarian Amped » Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:21 am

Element0s wrote:I hope there's some sort of synth/keyboard available for these jams sessions

<- Keyboard and "deep" Vocals (...like Johnny Cash, Rammstein, Eisbrecher for example :beerwink: )

...BA
    <<<upper palatinate beer control command>>>
    Lala
    Midshipman

by Lala » Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:20 am

I play every Song you want with every Instrument - as long as it's playback and no real Instrument ...... :heavydrink:
    2011 - survived - 2012 - survived - 2013 - survived - 2014 - survived - 2015 - survived - 2016 - survived - 2017 - survived - 2018 - survived - 2019 - survived - 2020 - survived - 2021 - definetly maybe NO

www.lalasreisen.de
    ShoreSlayer
    Captain

by ShoreSlayer » Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:04 am

I'm sure there will be plenty of instruments but I would still LOVE to see this!!
    So far at least, 2011, 2012 & 2015 were enough for me
    :shred:Book 'em ANDO!! :headbanger:

:boobs: 2018/2019 Hockeyagi Champion :boobs:
    ShoreSlayer
    Captain

by ShoreSlayer » Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:32 am

Okay, the time for heavy metal lollygagging has come to an end!!!

The trip is nearing and, with the holidays and all smack dab in the middle of then and now, we're gonna be standing (some of us) around ready to jam on night one in no time. And, as mentioned before, unlike many of you, I'm not a full time, pro musician. What little repertoire I have is not enormous or at a polished, performance level every day of the year. In other words, if I intend to participate in any jams on this trip, AND I DO, then I need to prepare and practice ahead of time.

So, this is what I propose...

I'll use my posts in this thread to start comprising something of a loose set list. It can be quite long and involved as I think we'll have 3 or 4 nights of open mic during which to attempt to perform it all, as well as whatever spontaneous additions arise from other passengers participating. For now, I'll list all the suggestions that have been made in the thread so far and then add any that people post afterward. As we move along, people can put their names in for certain spots in certain songs and I'll add those as well. No worries about duplicates or triplicates as, again, we have multiple nights. Andy has stated that there will be 'backup musicians' to ensure a full line up so we won't need to fret (pun intended) if, say, no one volunteers to play drums or bass for song a, b or c.

Also, if you suggest 10 or 20 songs you'd like to do, I recommend indicating which ones you'd MOST like to be involved in and that way I can juggle prospective line up possibilities in a way that gives everyone equal opportunity but, ideally, doesn't leave anyone out of a song they may REALLY want to be involved in. I'll put those bits in BOLD to make it clear. Remember to mention what instrument(s) you can/want to play for each song (ie - SatansWrath, I don't know what you play/sing)

For now, the list will be made up of 2 sections. The top will be the intended, eventual format with song, artist and performer columns and the bottom will just be less specific suggestions posted earlier that can offer some ideas of what others are thinking.

Feel free to offer suggestions to improve the process but, for now, here goes:

*******************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

OPEN MIC NIGHT SET LIST

See updated post below
    v v v v v v v
    Last edited by ShoreSlayer on Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:43 am, edited 11 times in total.

ejd715
    Petty Officer

by ejd715 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:08 pm

guitar player here-19 yrs experience and took lessons for the first 4. I know alot of classic and thrash metal (metallica, exodus, priest, dio, ozzy, maiden, etc). some of my favs to play are:

Metallica-No Remorse
    metallica-orion
    metallica-four horsemen
    Dio-last in line
    Ozzy-bark at the moon
    really any priest i can play pretty well.

im down to do an improv on state with soembody that has a clue how to play these songs. lets do this!
    2011-#3500 (barely survived!)
    2012-#4025 (piece of cake!)
    BOH HERE WE COME!!!!

Aeon The Crown Ex Deo Flotsam & Jetsam Harm Helstar Heathen King Diamond Kreator Old Man's Child Pain Solution.45 Sanctification Sinister Susperia Sybreed Zonaria
    ShoreSlayer
    Captain

by ShoreSlayer » Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:10 pm

Just a couple notes as the list expands...

- I'm just doing this for kicks and to maybe help things be a little organized but have no actual authority to do so and no expectations that this will be followed or recognized by anyone other than myself and perhaps some of the participants found here. It would be nice if those who attach their names to certain songs did show up somewhat prepared and excited to do certain songs but I can't promise anything and don't expect to hold anyone to anything based on this.

- Keep in mind that, at this stage in particular, this list is really just a way to find out who's interested in which songs. I've posted a whole whack of songs that I'd be confident playing after a short refresher but no way in hell do I expect to be performing even 20% of them.

- Don't be shy! Even though some participants will surely be highly skilled musicians, we're talking about an open mic event here. Not an audition or anything stressful. It's about having fun. No, it's not karaoke and ppl should have some kind of real life experience and skill but don't feel like you have to be a working/touring musician to take part in this.

ShoreSlayer
    Captain

by ShoreSlayer » Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:55 pm

ejd715 wrote:metallica-four horsemen

Can we do it Mechanix style?

Killer youtube cover vid....

LINK Nice Blind Guardian banner in the background for the PM Lovers ;)

One of my fave online moments ever at 1:04

Ecliptica
    Ensign

by Ecliptica » Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:55 pm

I could drum to 'Death in Fire', but a) I haven't played that song in years/hopefully I haven't forgotten it b) I don't even have my kit out here, so it's not like I could practice and c) I don't know where I'd fit in the time for this sort of thing.

I'm available for whatever though, drums I've been playing for 13 years, guitar for 9. I'd mostly be down for an improv though, that could be a blast.
    hodgy
    Crewman

by hodgy » Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:14 pm

I'd be all about any kind of jams. I'm the house bass player for a local jam night so I know a shit-ton of tunes. Guitar, bass, vox, kazoo, you name it, I'll fake it.
    Dunno how I'm gonna be able to live without an instrument in my hands for this long, I may have to bring one of the acoustics along.
    BierVulf
    Ensign

by BierVulf » Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:24 pm

How did I not see this thread before?!?!?!
    I can play just about any megadeth or metallica or maiden note for note on guitar.

the one Ive been messing with alot lately is opeth's closure.

count me IN
    2011 : Cabin #3500 - Survived
    2012 : Cabin #4025 - Pending

Death Tribute / Atheist / Coroner / Opeth / Cynic / Morbid Angel / Kreator / Tankard / Vio-Lence / Hail of Bullets / Nuclear Assault / Impaled / Gojira / Heathen / Deadly Remains / Venom
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:31 pm

If we grab a drummer, I think a group of us should do a Van Canto song. Their Kings of Metal cover kicks ass.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IiESgYr35gA
    I should get around to updating my signature
  • Max_Rockwell
    Chief Petty Officer

by Max_Rockwell » Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:51 pm

I'd be down for guitars, leads or rhythm, or both, whichever is needed.

Iron Maiden - The Trooper
    Slayer - Raining Blood
    Rage Against The Machine - Bombtack, but we should totally do Kiling in the Name instead, as most people know that one more and would probably sing along more to that one.

I"ll volunteer for those 3 for now. If you guys still need guitars for anything else, I"ll be more than happy to participate, as long as I know which songs are those that I will be playing. I"ll learn some of the other slayer and some classic maiden, metallica songs that weren't mentioned. I"ll also put a list of songs that I already know if anyone is up for covering those.

Arch Enemy - Dead Eyes See No Future
    Iron Maiden - Run to the Hills
    Iron Maiden - 2 Minutes to Midnight
    Arch Enemy - Nemesis
    Arch Enemy - Dead Bury Their Dead
    Arch Enemy - Bury Me an Angel
    Children of Bodom - Sixpounder
    Metallica - No Remorse
    Black Sabbath - Paranoid
    Scorpions - Rock You like a Hurricane
    Guns n Roses - Sweet Child O' mine
    asmegin
    Midshipman

by asmegin » Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:12 pm

Though this is great that everyone is willing to do this, we need to figure 10-12 songs that we ALL can for sure do and learn before the crusie.
    Cabin # 6072
    soundcurve
    Chief Petty Officer

by soundcurve » Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:41 pm

Cool idea. What are your plans for logistics of instruments though? Are you bringing your gear or hoping to get loaners off the bands there? Or is this a acoustic jam? Only "thing" that works against me is I play left handed but could play most the stuff you mention. Although if I did a cover, preference would be more for the obscure and songs from bands not there / dead. There definitely are no shortest of guitarist here it seems, so either way will cheer on and watch if not playing.

The drummer of said jam will have the most issues. Hell, even for the bands playing they probably are going to share some stuff.
    Slayer - I'd jam any of the slayer songs, esp. Silent Screams. Pick your solo :P
    Any Misfits song (all easy but would need some who can carry a melody) Hollywood Babylon, London Dungeon, Die, Die My Darling, etc.
    Megadeth - This was my Life
    Megadeth - Sweating bullets ( I can do the chromatic Dave M. solo too for shits :P)
    Pantera - War Nerve
    Pantera - Regular People
    Black Sabbath - Symptom Of The Universe
    Black Sabbath - Children Of The Grave
    I'm all for a Type O cover too but the tuning is all over the place here. Granted doesn't need to be the same exact key from cover to cover.

What I'd really like but too obscure probably:
    Dissection - Nights Blood (would be awesome but relies heavy on 2 guitars and doubt they are hugely popular given the power metal crowd I see on the forum)
    Dissection - Where Dead Angels Lie (same)
    Enslaved - Havenless (cool if a drummer was into it)
    Entombed be fun. Left hand path?
    Samael - Anything from CoO / Rebellion and rain

great idea either way , hopefully it can become something.

-Mike
    ShoreSlayer
    Captain

by ShoreSlayer » Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:13 pm

asmegin wrote:Though this is great that everyone is willing to do this, we need to figure 10-12 songs that we ALL can for sure do and learn before the crusie.

Just getting ready for work and will update the 'list' post with all the new response info once I get settled in there later tonight but just wanted to say... Yeah asmegin, that is sort of my goal for the list. It's just that for now, we need to throw ideas around. Although I believe 10 - 12 is a little shy, and we also need to account for the fact that this board barely represents 10% of the entire passenger list, I promise I will narrow it down over the coming month as more ppl reply and we get specific song interests nailed down.

Posts like your earlier one and Max Rockwell's just above yours really help as I can use specific song titles to start sort of piecing songs and lineups together.

As for instruments, I'm really torn. I hate the idea of lugging one all across the continent and having that complicate my travel experience but I'm also not a huge fan of playing loaners. If you read back to Andy's response earlier in the thread, it sounds like gear will be provided but no promises about what type or quality. A left handed axe may or may not be easy to get hold of.

Later

BierVulf
    Ensign

by BierVulf » Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:24 pm

ShoreSlayer wrote:
    asmegin wrote:Though this is great that everyone is willing to do this, we need to figure 10-12 songs that we ALL can for sure do and learn before the crusie.

Just getting ready for work and will update the 'list' post with all the new response info once I get settled in there later tonight but just wanted to say... Yeah asmegin, that is sort of my goal for the list. It's just that for now, we need to throw ideas around. Although I believe 10 - 12 is a little shy, and we also need to account for the fact that this board barely represents 10% of the entire passenger list, I promise I will narrow it down over the coming month as more ppl reply and we get specific song interests nailed down.

Posts like your earlier one and Max Rockwell's just above yours really help as I can use specific song titles to start sort of piecing songs and lineups together.

As for instruments, I'm really torn. I hate the idea of lugging one all across the continent and having that complicate my travel experience but I'm also not a huge fan of playing loaners. If you read back to Andy's response earlier in the thread, it sounds like gear will be provided but no promises about what type or quality. A left handed axe may or may not be easy to get hold of.

Later

hey penguin
    put me on for the other guitar in four horsemen
    Ive known the song note for note for years
    and ejd715 is my cabin mate.

Death Tribute / Atheist / Coroner / Opeth / Cynic / Morbid Angel / Kreator / Tankard / Vio-Lence / Hail of Bullets / Nuclear Assault / Impaled / Gojira / Heathen / Deadly Remains / Venom
    ShoreSlayer
    Captain

by ShoreSlayer » Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:52 am

BierVulf wrote:hey penguin
    put me on for the other guitar in four horsemen
    Ive known the song note for note for years
    and ejd715 is my cabin mate.

Sweet. Will do!

If one of you can sing it, we just need a volunteer on drums and that song's a lock :headbanger:

BierVulf
    Ensign

by BierVulf » Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:22 am

perhaps he'll do the singing.
    I shan't.
    you can also put me down for the trooper if you like.

and also I have a taste for technicality, I don't wanna go to crazy over board , I'd like to do megadeth's polaris and lucretia if anyone else is down.

and after scouring the forums for all this time Ive yet to see a single mention of Death.
    Put me down for crystal mountain. Along with anyone else who'd like to accompany me.

Element0s
    Midshipman

by Element0s » Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:30 am

Well, here's some tunes I have in my repitoire:

Keys:
    Rainbow in the Dark (dio)
    Last in line (dio)
    Kill the King (Rainbow)
    Die Young (Black Sabbath)
    Center of the Universe (Kamelot)
    and various other power/proggers (Symphony X, Rhapsody, Pagans Mind etc)

I know the chords to a pile of Maiden, priest, sabbath and Dio tunes (that don't really have keys) so I'm willing to hop on just about anything by those bands for some extra "oomph". Of course, this is assuming they have some sort of keyboard available

Rhythm guitar:
    Necropolis (Manilla Road)
    Flaming Metal Systems (Manilla Road)
    The Apparition (Fates Warning)
    Old Man (Ensiferum)
    Tale of Revenge (Ensiferum)
    Treacherous Gods (Ensiferum)
    Hero in a Dream (Ensiferum)

I'm in the process of learning a few more "Classics". I'm not touch lead guitar, though. No solos for me!

I can sing a little bit, too. My range is limited, but I can do various styles and have fun with it. I'll learn a bunch of the songs on the list that are closer to my range. I'd love to sing some Fates Warning.
    SAMANDRIEL:
    Female-Fronted Melodic Power Metal

GATEKEEPER:
    Epic Heavy/Doom Metal
    ShoreSlayer
    Captain

by ShoreSlayer » Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:08 am

Wow! Okay, that was a massive update!

Keep 'em coming guys (and girls - sorely under-represented thus far!)

Those of you who posted lots of ideas as well as specific songs, I hope you'll see what I've done is to add the specifics to the top part of the list and then edited the quoted ideas parts to add to the bottom part. Trying to keep things as organized as I can without losing anything but PLZ DO send me a PM if I've mistakenly left something out that you feel should be included. My eyes get a little buggy doing shit like this sometimes :lol:

Something else that I figured I'd mention...

It's clear we're all coming from a wide mix of musical backgrounds. It's all well and good that I encourage anyone and everyone to get involved here but, I'd be a little daft if I didn't recognize that some of you are incredibly serious musicians who are close to, or already, pursuing careers in this. Without devolving too far into over self-deprecation, I don't think it would be rude or out of line to suggest that some of you in that caliber may not wish to be getting up on stage with folks who are little more than well-meaning and enthusiastic musical hacks. I mean, you may have just finished having a beer with some guy from one of your favourite bands then, next thing ya know, you're getting up on stage with some guy who thinks a circle of fifths is a bunch of empties on a bar room floor. :shock:

Humour aside, and without making it all too serious, I just wanted to say, I think it's totally cool for someone to put it out there if they'd prefer only to be involved in line-ups that are made up of seasoned vets like themselves. That can be arranged in a number of ways so just PM me or the others in these potential combos and we'll get it figured out as best we can.

It may be 'just an open mic' to some but, for others, it may be more serious than that. ('And', Jack Handey says, 'That's... O K')

ShoreSlayer
    Captain

by ShoreSlayer » Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:10 am

*bumped to next page for easier editing access*
    Last edited by ShoreSlayer on Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:56 am, edited 8 times in total.

asmegin
    Midshipman

by asmegin » Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:12 am

ShoreSlayer wrote:
    asmegin wrote:

Later

I will give them a call today around lunch time and get to the bottom of what kind of equipment they'll have. If I have too, I'll see if I can bring my Ibanez Prestige RGA321 Fm. The guitar is a beast.
    Cabin # 6072
    soundcurve
    Chief Petty Officer

by soundcurve » Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:31 am

ShoreSlayer wrote:Wow! Okay, that was a massive update!

Something else that I figured I'd mention...

It's clear we're all coming from a wide mix of musical backgrounds. It's all well and good that I encourage anyone and everyone to get involved here but, I'd be a little daft if I didn't recognize that some of you are incredibly serious musicians who are close to, or already, pursuing careers in this. Without devolving too far into over self-deprecation, I don't think it would be rude or out of line to suggest that some of you in that caliber may not wish to be getting up on stage with folks who are little more than well-meaning and enthusiastic musical hacks. I mean, you may have just finished having a beer with some guy from one of your favourite bands then, next thing ya know, you're getting up on stage with some guy who thinks a circle of fifths is a bunch of empties on a bar room floor. :shock:

Humour aside, and without making it all too serious, I just wanted to say, I think it's totally cool for someone to put it out there if they'd prefer only to be involved in line-ups that are made up of seasoned vets like themselves.

It may be 'just an open mic' to some but, for others, it may be more serious than that. ('And', Jack Handey says, 'That's... O K')

Haha, well said Jack Handey. Yea, I'd agree with this. I'd view it like any other mic night, few beers in and having fun and a laugh. Not putting on a full blown gig. I PMed Andy regarding if they'd have a left handed axe. Once I know that I could commit further to song(s). I wouldn't want to bring my guitar through airport BS. From the looks of it is seems "Sweating Bullets" would be a safe bet given you and BierVulf know it. If they don't have a left handed axe but have a drum kit set-up, I can play the easier songs on drums (probably with some slight BS fills - your above comment definitely applies to this if there is some über drummer (non band) on board)

Drum wise these would be fairly basic to pick up.
    Mandatory Suicide
    For Whom The Bell Tolls
    Sweating Bullets
    Paranoid
    Seek & Destroy
    No Remorse

Granted if Ecliptica can play "Death In Fire" he can probably fake most of the songs and make it work if he'd be up for that. My cabin buddy might be up for singing some of this stuff but I'd leave that up to him to chime in.

-Mike
Locked 157 posts