Post Reply 6 posts Page 1 of 1
Albums you wish were re-recorded/mixed/produced ?
  • KevinP
    Commander

Albums you wish were re-recorded/mixed/produced ?

by KevinP » Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:04 am

Entombed - Clandestine. I s\aw them play these songs live with LG on vocals before the album was released, but he left before recording and Nick filled in. The album is a great follow up to Left Hand Path, but it's hard to suffer through those vocals. Too bad by the time LG came back, musically they went down a path I hated.

Nevermore - Enemies of Reality- thankfully they actually did with this one. They took an album that was essentially unlistenable & remixed/mastered it into a excellent piece of work.

Morbid Angel - Heretic - I still contend there are some good tunes on this thing (absent all the instrumental nonsense) but that production is a head scratcher. I'm not sure how the band/producer can listen to it and think "yeah this sounds good". Trey usually knows what he is doing but he was asleep at the wheel on this one.
    WISHLIST

BOLT THROWER / MADDER MORTEM / SEAR BLISS / AEON / THE AMENTA / AUTOPSY / MDB / THE 11th HOUR / HAIL OF BULLETS / DORDEDUH / TRIPTYKON / NE OBLIVISCARIS / PORTAL

The Sultan of Stroopwafels
    The Viceroy of Vegemite
    Loather of Power Metal
    ShoreSlayer
    Captain

Re: Albums you wish were re-recorded/mixed/produced ?

by ShoreSlayer » Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:35 pm

I'm not a huge fan of the whole re-mastering process. It can yield some great improvements in the mix and quality but presenting a snapshot of where the band, their sound, technology and music in general was at any given time is a huge part of what makes an album what it is.

That being said, one of my all time favourite releases is Testament's First Strike Still Deadly. Rather than re-working the existing recordings, they actually went back into the studio and re-recorded every single performance track for every song (afaik). I think there's a few other bands that have done the same thing but I wish more would. It's like presenting a whole new snapshot of the same (or mostly) bunch of artists and how they've grown over the years.
    So far at least, 2011, 2012 & 2015 were enough for me
    :shred:Book 'em ANDO!! :headbanger:

:boobs: 2018/2019 Hockeyagi Champion :boobs:
  • Metalwrath

by Metalwrath » Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:41 pm

Fighting the World by Manowar.
    Considering they are one of the loudest bands in the world it's one of the quietest recordings ever haha.
  • KevinP
    Commander

by KevinP » Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:41 pm

ShoreSlayer wrote:I'm not a huge fan of the whole re-mastering process. It can yield some great improvements in the mix and quality but presenting a snapshot of where the band, their sound, technology and music in general was at any given time is a huge part of what makes an album what it is.

That being said, one of my all time favourite releases is Testament's First Strike Still Deadly. Rather than re-working the existing recordings, they actually went back into the studio and re-recorded every single performance track for every song (afaik). I think there's a few other bands that have done the same thing but I wish more would. It's like presenting a whole new snapshot of the same (or mostly) bunch of artists and how they've grown over the years.

I don't like the whole "remasters" that bands put out nowadays either, doesn't do anything for. Nor do I like when they re-record old material. i'm not interested in a snapshot. I'll just see them live now and stick with the original albums.

The albums I chose were because the original recordings of them were so shitty or missing something. Granted, Morbid Angel's Heretic would still be relevant, but Entombed's wouldn't be. I was hoping and praying for it back in the day, but now I don't care. I guess I should have clarified this as albums "you at one time or another wanted redone". :mrgreen:
    WISHLIST

BOLT THROWER / MADDER MORTEM / SEAR BLISS / AEON / THE AMENTA / AUTOPSY / MDB / THE 11th HOUR / HAIL OF BULLETS / DORDEDUH / TRIPTYKON / NE OBLIVISCARIS / PORTAL

The Sultan of Stroopwafels
    The Viceroy of Vegemite
    Loather of Power Metal
    Captain Metal
    Ensign

by Captain Metal » Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:07 pm

I totally agree that Heretic should be remixed by someone that actually knows what the fuck they're doing. I can't stand listening to that album because of the shitty mix :evil:

One I would suggest really needs a re-mix is Anthrax - Spreading The Disease. I always thought this album sounded rather thin and could really use some beefing up. Same goes for No Place For Disgrace (Flotsam And Jetsam), and even their last album (Dreams Of Death) which sounded like a low budget demo.

I also agree about Fighting The World being really "quiet". That could use the treatment as well.

I'm sure some others will come to me, so I'll probably chime in on this thread again later
    Vader-Dream Evil-Accept-Thrash Or Die-Evile-Brainstorm-Kalmah-Paradox-The Crown-Morgana Lefay-Gama Bomb-Hail Of Bullets-Powermad-Firewind-Hypocrisy-Iron Savior-Communic.....FOR 2015!
    ShoreSlayer
    Captain

by ShoreSlayer » Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:10 pm

KevinP wrote:I guess I should have clarified this as albums "you at one time or another wanted redone

Nah, it's all good. I understood what ya were looking for. I just couldn't think of any offhand that qualified so that was my contribution to the conversation. Didn't mean to derail yer thread :twisted:
    So far at least, 2011, 2012 & 2015 were enough for me
    :shred:Book 'em ANDO!! :headbanger:

:boobs: 2018/2019 Hockeyagi Champion :boobs:
Post Reply 6 posts Page 1 of 1