Post Reply 71 posts
Buried Roots of Brutality: An Evolution of Death Metal
    vikingbitch
    Lieutenant-Commander

Re: Buried Roots of Brutality: An Evolution of Death Metal

by vikingbitch » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:50 pm

DEATH - SCREAM BLOODY GORE - MAY 25, 1987

"Drink from the goblet, the goblet of gore" but be warned, what you might taste (hear) is flavored with a raw and grinding intensity that will leave you parched for more.

The bludgeoning speed that is maintained for most of Scream Bloody Gore is one of its most intense features but it's done in a way that it does not compromise the technicality of the instrumentals and there is a sense of continuity throughout the album as if trying to refine and explore this aspect of it. Songs such as Zombie Ritual or Baptized in Blood manage to capture this with their endearing and catchy qualities without sacrificing their intensity. There are audible melodies underlying the surface of each song, in that respect, the kind that scratch beneath the surface and make your skin crawl when paired with the vocals. The most addictive element of this album for me is Chuck Schuldiner’s vocals, almost like a guttural lullaby before drifting you into a nightmare filled with mutilated zombies and the kind of torture that only a Cenobite from Hellraiser could envision (a movie that was released the same year based off a horror novel by Clive Barker). Even though he had developed his vocal style when he began playing with the Floridian death metal band Mantas in 1983, the style apparent on this album is clearly influenced by Jeff Becerra of Possessed however the lyrics that were written are not, they focus on horror and gore rather than the satanic imagery that had been lyrically portrayed in Seven Churches.

The drums aren’t spectacular or overly notable, but Chris Reifert keeps up with the tempo changes and intensity gracefully. At the end of the day, this album is a showcase of Chuck Schuldiner and the groundwork that he lays on the table for his own diverse legacy and that of the genre itself. I sometimes speculate if the revolving door of line up changes throughout the band's history, especially considering how selective Chuck had been in choosing fellow collaborators and the drastic variances between albums, had been intentional to highlight the evolution of his personal style and experimentation. As an album, it may not be the best initial introduction to this particular band but it certainly is a well fitting introduction to this form of music as a gateway to a heightened and deeper appreciation of this style of death metal.

Scream Bloody Gore has stood the test of time not from quality, although there are very few holes to find, but from its recognized stature as a stepping stone embedded with the basic elements of death metal instrumentally, vocally and lyrically that the next steps of the genre derive and build upon for years to come. All you need to do is listen to understand why.

Standouts: Zombie Ritual, Baptized in Blood, Evil Dead

Rating: 9/10
    SURVIVOR: 70K2011, 70K2012, BTH2012, 70K2013 & 70K2014. NEXT UP: 70K2015
  • BehnWilson
    Midshipman

by BehnWilson » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:57 pm

I was waiting for this one. :death: :death: :death:

I cant express how much I love this album and to me this was the best album he ever did. He got more and more technical as the years went on but this was his most raw and energetic album. He was pretty difficult to get along with, I think that is main reason for his bandmate turnover.

Your reviews are great and are better than the mainstream magazines, Decibel, Revolver etc.

This got me in the mood for some Death. At work with the Ipod going and had just finished playing Mercyful Fate's Melissa and then put on Death's Scream Bloody Gore. Damn, what a great album. It just finished and now I put on Leprosy. Thinking about working my way chronologically by album thru Death's catalogue tonight. EDIT-I'm now up to Spiritual Healing.

Im so anal on my Ipod when I upload them I change album titles so the year reads before the title, so for example instead of Scream Bloody Gore the album title on mine reads 1987-Scream Bloody Gore. I like it that way so when I open an atrists album list, they show up in order of the year released. I kind of like having them way, I was always forgetting which came out when......
    vikingbitch
    Lieutenant-Commander

by vikingbitch » Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:08 pm

BehnWilson wrote:I was waiting for this one. :death: :death: :death:

I cant express how much I love this album and to me this was the best album he ever did. He got more and more technical as the years went on but this was his most raw and energetic album. He was pretty difficult to get along with, I think that is main reason for his bandmate turnover.

Your reviews are great and are better than the mainstream magazines, Decibel, Revolver etc.

:oops: :oops: :oops:

Thank you! I'm really glad you enjoyed it!

My favorite will always be Sound of Perseverance but I love Leprosy too (I've had the song "Choke on it" stuck in my head for weeeeks now, so addicting). Have you heard any of the early Death demos at all? Not Mantas - that stuff is practically un-listenable and really just novelty. But early Death demos. They're darker and more raw than SBG, you might enjoy checking them out curiosity wise
    Feanorgandalf
    Chief Petty Officer

by Feanorgandalf » Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:57 pm

vikingbitch wrote: The most addictive element of this album for me is Chuck Schuldiner’s vocals, almost like a guttural lullaby before drifting you into a nightmare filled with mutilated zombies and the kind of torture that only a Cenobite from Hellraiser could envision

This

Also how current are you planning to go with this. Resurrection Through Carnage was 2002 but an instant classic
    vikingbitch
    Lieutenant-Commander

by vikingbitch » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:00 pm

Feanorgandalf wrote:
    vikingbitch wrote: The most addictive element of this album for me is Chuck Schuldiner’s vocals, almost like a guttural lullaby before drifting you into a nightmare filled with mutilated zombies and the kind of torture that only a Cenobite from Hellraiser could envision

This

Also how current are you planning to go with this. Resurrection Through Carnage was 2002 but an instant classic

Well, I have my game plan of albums mapped out to 1993. Since that consisted of almost 300 albums I didn't bother researching farther lol. All depends though, ideally I'd like to get to at least 95 or 96. After then, I'll see and depends how long it takes to get there, would get kind of scary. So. Much. Metal. :lol:
  • BehnWilson
    Midshipman

by BehnWilson » Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:05 am

vikingbitch wrote: Have you heard any of the early Death demos at all? Not Mantas - that stuff is practically un-listenable and really just novelty. But early Death demos. They're darker and more raw than SBG, you might enjoy checking them out curiosity wise

No I havent heard the demos. As a general rule I dont like listening to that kind of stuff, its usually a hard listen for me. When I know how the stuff sounds on the final version, it just sounds off to me. Like I have the Morbid Angel Abomination of Desolation demo cd, essentially rough cuts of their debut & some later songs and I cant even listen to that one.
    vikingbitch
    Lieutenant-Commander

by vikingbitch » Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:42 am

NECROPHAGIA – SEASON OF THE DEAD – 1987

Well, I know which album I will be pulling out come next Halloween. Season of the Dead is like the musical incarnation of Tales from the Crypt, the essence of the album is the stories of horror, death and gore that are told through the lyrics and less of a focus on the instrumental. The vocals are done in a way that Frank "Killjoy" Pucci sounds more like a narrator as rather than singing with the music, he speaks over the music quite audible and clean with a bit of rasp and snarl for dramatic flare. The dramatics do not end there on the album, keyboards and even acoustic guitars are used like special effects in a "B" horror movie. A few songs, "Ancient Slumber" for example, have what sound like excerpts from actual horror movies in the introduction or pieced into the songs. The creativity and potential just within reach on Season of the Dead will be what captures you on this album. Necrophagia truly hit the mark for trying to define a freshly born genre of horror and gore that hasn't had the umbilical cord cut yet.

Even though the theatrics over shadow the instrumentals, the album has more than its share of diverse riffs and experimentation with same. The song "Mental Decay" is my favorite showcase on the album for what these young musicians from Wellsville, Ohio are capable of. The introduction is a frantic and buzzing build up that works into a thrashy riff structure, they find a rhythm here more so than any other song for rather graceful tempo changes. The let down musically on this album for me is the drums. In songs such as "Terminal Vision" and "Painful Discharge" they are slow, simple beats that are used and at times seem to struggle to keep up with the guitars. "Beyond and Back" which is, inarguably in my books, the most polished hidden gem on this album with its variety from relentless stabbing riffs to its slow yet technical solos. Now that this is at a close it is time for me to track down my copy of Zelda Ocarina of Time, as the first song "Season of the Dead/Forbidden Zone" about three minutes in reminds me of the Temple of Time, every time.

Standouts: Mental Decay, Beyond and Back

Rating: 7/10
  • meshuggah
    Ensign

by meshuggah » Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:47 pm

This looks like an amazing bit of work you're doing. Maybe you can hook up with Amazon and put links in for each album you review...and they can give you a few $$ each time they sell a CD through your link. It would help pay for 70000 Tons 2014!

Saw you a few times 70000 2013, but you were there...then you were gone. Promise to introduce myself next January!
    Last edited by meshuggah on Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  • BehnWilson
    Midshipman

by BehnWilson » Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:31 pm

I love that Necrophagia album. Just played it again the other night after reading your review.

Its the only one of theirs that I have and have been debating for awhile getting Holocausto De La Morte too. Its on my Amazon wishlist, hopeing someone list a more reasonably proced copy then what they currently have on there now, $25.99 inlc postage for a used copy is the cheapest they have.
  • meshuggah
    Ensign

by meshuggah » Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:51 pm

BehnWilson wrote:I love that Necrophagia album. Just played it again the other night after reading your review.

Its the only one of theirs that I have and have been debating for awhile getting Holocausto De La Morte too. Its on my Amazon wishlist, hopeing someone list a more reasonably proced copy then what they currently have on there now, $25.99 inlc postage for a used copy is the cheapest they have.

$12.00 at CM Distro
  • BehnWilson
    Midshipman

by BehnWilson » Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:57 pm

meshuggah wrote:
    BehnWilson wrote:I love that Necrophagia album. Just played it again the other night after reading your review.

$12.00 at CM Distro

I just checked and it says out of stock. Thanks for the tip though. Im too busy at work now but I was not familiar with that site, and will check it out when have some free time to see if some of the other rare cds Ive wanted but were too costly on Amazon etc are more reasonably priced there.

Thanks again for the tip.
    vikingbitch
    Lieutenant-Commander

by vikingbitch » Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:30 pm

meshuggah wrote:This looks like an amazing bit of work you're doing. Maybe you can hook up with Amazon and put links in for each album you review...and they can give you a few $$ each time they sell a CD through your link. It would help pay for 70000 Tons 2014!

Saw you a few times 70000 2013, but you were there...then you were gone. Promise to introduce myself next January!

Thanks! I didn't know that they did that on Amazon with their reviews, had thought they were free. Have you done something like that before?

And yeah... I have the attention span of a gnat, more so on the cruises and tend to be everywhere on the ship :lol: See you next January!

BehnWilson wrote:
    meshuggah wrote:

$12.00 at CM Distro

I just checked and it says out of stock. Thanks for the tip though. Im too busy at work now but I was not familiar with that site, and will check it out when have some free time to see if some of the other rare cds Ive wanted but were too costly on Amazon etc are more reasonably priced there.

Thanks again for the tip.

Must resist... the prices on that site are awesome... urgggh. Its crazy how much some releases go far or how hard some of them are to find, especially in this digital age. The next album on my list was Blood Feast - Kill for Pleasure, hadn't heard them before and was only able to find two songs online for the album. Didn't want to write it off as just a thrash album from only two songs and had to buy it this morning so that I could hear it. Thrash, thrash and more thrash. Not a bad album, the song "Suicide Mission" was really good, but nothing jaw dropping. I haven't been able to find the next one on my list even on Itunes let alone streaming anywhere. Urgh.
  • meshuggah
    Ensign

by meshuggah » Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:13 pm

Thanks to your review, I purchased and listened to Necrophagia's Season Of The Dead, which I had been totally unaware of...great eye-opener! Looking forward to your next review! Anything happening with CM Media?
    vikingbitch
    Lieutenant-Commander

by vikingbitch » Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:54 am

meshuggah wrote:Thanks to your review, I purchased and listened to Necrophagia's Season Of The Dead, which I had been totally unaware of...great eye-opener! Looking forward to your next review! Anything happening with CM Media?

That's awesome! They have some cool stuff later on - artists from a lot of different bands hopped on at different points, if I remember right one of the guys from Sigh as well. Haven't heard a peep from CM Media (nor have I seen the vinyl that I ordered from them a while back, urrrgh). Next review will be coming "soon", I'm actually half done it but life has been getting in the way as of late (quit my job on Monday, etc :D ).

Not even close to finished with this, next one soon! :bangers:
    vikingbitch
    Lieutenant-Commander

by vikingbitch » Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:40 am

MESSIAH – EXTREME COLD WEATHER – 1987

Extreme Cold Weather by Messiah covers all of the staples for this band if you are to give them a try; a few songs from their first release Hymn to Abramelin, six live tracks and not to mention a few instrumental only songs along side the new material. The inclusion of their previous material really showcases the jump in musicians' technical skills, but more so in my opinion it seems to really highlight their strongest characteristic that sets the new material apart: their sense of humor. There is a song dedicated in love to Mother Theresa and a song dedicated in hate to Pope John Paul II. Messiah went the "if you don't have anything mean to say, don't say anything at all" route for the comparison of them. This is, of course, considering the fact that the song to Mother Theresa is a short and atmospheric instrumental song and the track dedicated to Pope John Paul II has “Pope John Sucks” audibly screeched half way through, and a final dig of “Fuck off John Paul, go and masturbate” at the end.

The song "Hyper Borea" is their best effort on this album only slightly ahead of "Nero" in my books. The song may only be instrumental but it seems to be the polarizing pinnacle point of the album that sets the mood and holds the rest of it together with so much variety in the material surrounding it. The anti-war song "Radezky March" has an interesting song structure and sparks as a regionally fascinating addition for the Swiss band, considering that it is mandatory for every Swiss male to serve at least 260 days in the armed forces. The song "Enjoy Yourself" inspired an idea that has now firmly settled itself into my bucket list. Picture John Cusack with a boom box held over his shoulders in the movie Say Anything. Now picture him playing this song, that promotes peaceful moshing, at a Slayer concert or a hardcore show (the metal scene would be a better place without ninja kicks and rednecks that are unaware of proper mosh pit etiquette). That just needs to be done now.

Stand outs: Hyper Borea, Nero, Enjoy Yourself

Rating: 6.5
  • meshuggah
    Ensign

by meshuggah » Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:56 pm

Thanks for another fine review :bangers:

I couldn't agree with you more about the karate-mosh assholes. There are usually about 10-12 of them making about 200 others uncomfortable. It happened last night at OTEP. I wish venue security would stop them so that EVERYBODY can enjoy the concerts.
    vikingbitch
    Lieutenant-Commander

by vikingbitch » Mon May 06, 2013 9:17 pm

SLAUGHTER - STRAPPADO - 1987

Next up to bat is not the glitter and glam version of Slaughter but the one that lives up to its name. Slaughter ranks among Canada's most cherished thrash titans alongside Sacrifice, Razor and Annihilator. That being said, the album Strappado nestles itself firmly on this list with its down tuned guitars, drumming that focuses on force rather than speed and a bass heavy assault that leads the charge for speeding up your heart rate. If you're into more technical or melodic music, shut the door. If you crave music that will grab you by the arms, throw you head first into a wall and will toss back a case of beer with you afterwards then its time to tear the door off its hinges.

A few of the songs such as the title track "Strappado" and "The Curse" are just too sloppy for my taste, as clumsy musically as I am walking in heels. There also isn't much variety when it comes to riff structure, bare bones and basic with its own brand of charm. In this case, there are only mythical creatures I could name that could manage to tear up those bones so deeply imbedded in Canadian soil for how heavy in all senses of the word they are. The song "Disintegrator" which hits as a short blast of speed segues into "Incinerator" which features the two vocalists feeding off one another and off of the driving tempo of the music. As alluring as the dark and almost other worldly chant of "we are the tortured souls" is in "Tortured Souls", the definitive song on this album for me is "Nocturnal Hell". It hits just the right pace; the vocals are a bit rougher and primitive (mostly grunts) with riff repetition done in a way to soothe the beastliest of thrashers.

Apologies in advance for the self inflicted sloppy mess of memories, twitches of mosh pit nostalgia and beer thirst this album will bring to the surface and your body will ache for.

Highlights: Incinerator, Nocturnal Hell, F.O.D. (Fuck of Death)

Rating: 7.5/10

And further apologies for delay in getting one of these done for those who were reading them, "life" managed to side track me a little bit but I want to do some damage on the list that I made. Cheers!
  • BehnWilson
    Midshipman

by BehnWilson » Mon May 13, 2013 1:45 pm

I love that album.

Chuck Schuldner of Death had briefly joined them, even moving up to Canada. As usual Chuckie didnt get along well with others and the partnership was short lived and he moved back to Florida.

Havent played thsi one for awhile, might need to break it back out once the office empties out tonight as I will behere late (as usual).
    vikingbitch
    Lieutenant-Commander

by vikingbitch » Mon May 13, 2013 8:44 pm

BehnWilson wrote:I love that album.

Chuck Schuldner of Death had briefly joined them, even moving up to Canada. As usual Chuckie didnt get along well with others and the partnership was short lived and he moved back to Florida.

Havent played thsi one for awhile, might need to break it back out once the office empties out tonight as I will behere late (as usual).

The song F.O.D. (Fuck of Death) gives me a chuckle for that reference :lol:
  • BehnWilson
    Midshipman

by BehnWilson » Tue May 14, 2013 10:11 pm

vikingbitch wrote:
    BehnWilson wrote:I love that album.

The song F.O.D. (Fuck of Death) gives me a chuckle for that reference :lol:

Be funnier if it was titled Fuck Off Death.

Just listened to this cd tonight, Awesome! I think I like the opening track Incinerator/Disentegrator the best
    vikingbitch
    Lieutenant-Commander

by vikingbitch » Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:25 am

Its been a busy summer with lots of new music to digest but its time I got back to my project. What better to kick off that revival:

BOLT THROWER - IN BATTLE THERE IS NO LAW - JUNE 12, 1988

Bolt Thrower is a band renowned for their continuity, each of their albums you can depend on hearing the same sound and style that they have perfected over the years. The only exception to this rule is their debut album "In Battle There Is No Law" in which you can thumb beneath its crusty exterior the foundations of their signature riffs and styles that will define them thereafter.

The influences are apparent when examining the environment and breeding ground in which their sound was born during England's ruling punk alternative scene at this time. A lot of the extreme metal bands then were focused on playing as fast as possible more so than being focused on technicality. The faster than thou card. Basically what inspired the sound of bands like Repulsion and Napalm Death trying to be faster than each other in their own speed war. On this first album the crustier punk feel comes from the sheer bludgeoning speed of some of the music as best portrayed in the song "Denial of Destiny". Similar in some senses that its rough around the edges for the sake of speed, at the end of the day though it brings to the table a completely different spin and sound. They have more than enough variety on the album besides the quality of assaulting speed to set it apart as can be heard more prominently in the song "Forgotten Existence" in which they find a momentum of clarity and skill that will turn any listener into an addict of their style.

The booming war drums heard at the outset of the song "In Battle There Is No Law" call out for battle and it is delivered wholeheartedly. It also marks the beginning of a war that has now spanned over two decades of releases. How would you crossover someone that's into the hardened scum ridden side of punk into death metal? I would start by giving them three helpings of this album for dinner and a dose of Napalm Death for desert. This is assuredly an album that would hook them and have them crying out for a medic on the battlefield in no time.

Highlights: Forgotten Existence, Challenge for Power

Rating: 8.5/10
    DJ Old Man Stares
    Midshipman

by DJ Old Man Stares » Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:17 pm

Great thread, dunno if I've seen this before. Lots to comment on and it reminds me of a couple of great threads on another forum I'm pretty active on. You would be great over there as your reviews for the most part I find very accurate. I think its awesome that you've put Messiah and Post Mortem in there. The Messiah to me is almost underrated but at the same time I feel that that's the way it should be. Cold frosty brutal death metal in my opinion.

My opinion on Sepultura is very similar to Kevin's. I think of their debut a little higher than he does but still a bit too sloppy for my taste. Schizophrenia was polished to perfection and Beneath the Remains was practically a thrashterpiece.

My only complaint so far is that you've seemed to overlook Kreators 1986 very brutal "Pleasure to Kill." Although, I have to admit I'm not sure if you're going in chronological order or not.
    Wishlist: Razor, Sacrifice, Laaz Rockit, Mekong Delta, Flames (GRC), Bal Sagoth, Running Wild, Sodom, Paradox, Exciter, Dark Angel, Sadus, Attacker, Believer, Emperor, Skelator, Spellcaster, Aeternus, Holy Moses, Setherial
    vikingbitch
    Lieutenant-Commander

by vikingbitch » Sun Jul 28, 2013 4:15 pm

DJ Old Man Stares wrote:Great thread, dunno if I've seen this before. Lots to comment on and it reminds me of a couple of great threads on another forum I'm pretty active on. You would be great over there as your reviews for the most part I find very accurate. I think its awesome that you've put Messiah and Post Mortem in there. The Messiah to me is almost underrated but at the same time I feel that that's the way it should be. Cold frosty brutal death metal in my opinion.

My opinion on Sepultura is very similar to Kevin's. I think of their debut a little higher than he does but still a bit too sloppy for my taste. Schizophrenia was polished to perfection and Beneath the Remains was practically a thrashterpiece.

My only complaint so far is that you've seemed to overlook Kreators 1986 very brutal "Pleasure to Kill." Although, I have to admit I'm not sure if you're going in chronological order or not.

Thanks Jason! I remember you bringing up that forum that you're on when we were on Barge, would love to check it out. I am definitely doing chronological with these the best I can (a lot of them didn't have exact release dates, I was lucky to find even the month they were released for a lot of the albums I have on my list). Pleasure to Kill probably could have gone on this list and could argue it as a crossover album but decided against it, would have opened the door to a lot more I'd have to put on the list and I want to focus less on crossovers (even though I've done a few of them but that was right off the hop development) and more on straight up death metal. I'm going to be working on this for quite some time, I only have albums mapped out to the end of 92' but its still around 250 albums in that time frame to cover. Its kind of scary lol
    Feanorgandalf
    Chief Petty Officer

by Feanorgandalf » Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:47 am

I knew Bolt Thrower would make an appearance on this thread at one point. Win! :viking:
  • BehnWilson
    Midshipman

by BehnWilson » Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:42 am

Disappeared from the board for awhile , got pretty busy. Was looking forward to catching up on this thread / your reviews which I absolutely loved.

Disappointed to see that it appears you quit posting these. :cry:

Any chance of getting another odd one or two in?
    vikingbitch
    Lieutenant-Commander

by vikingbitch » Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:34 am

BehnWilson wrote:Disappeared from the board for awhile , got pretty busy. Was looking forward to catching up on this thread / your reviews which I absolutely loved.

Disappointed to see that it appears you quit posting these. :cry:

Any chance of getting another odd one or two in?

Just have done a break from it, life and other distractions have been in the way but haven't given up on it. I actually have the next one half way done but its been hard getting the motivation to get back to it. Will have more entries up "soon" ;)

Also, thank you so much for that feedback and those words. Really nice of you to say.
    vikingbitch
    Lieutenant-Commander

by vikingbitch » Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:47 pm

CARCASS – REEK OF PUTREFACTION – JULY 1988

It doesn’t get more gruesome than Reek of Putrefaction, between subject content and in context to my opinion of where it contends with their later material. Since their formation in 1985, Carcass has been well known throughout the metal community as the forefathers of not only melodic death metal but grindcore as well. Despite my general aversion to most grindcore and this being my least favorite Carcass release, there is still enough here to glimpse how this album has held its stature and status for its early influence on the sub-genre.

Reek of Putrefaction features short, raw explosions of haphazard distortion that boasts the ability to transform what you hear into an empathetic feeling of what the song title might physically feel like (“Genital Grinder” anyone?). As fond as I usually am of even indiscernible blast beats, this is not the way I like them to be done and only so much can be brushed off as just the quality of the production on the album. The roughest part of the experience is that the majority of what you hear when digesting the music is only the drumming which makes variety practically non-existent between songs on initial listens. The only exception to this is best heard on a few songs such as “Pysosisified (Rotten to the Gore)” and “Pungent Excruciation” that seem to garner slightly more control over the sound. Enough so that you are able to see the shadow of a promising riff or underlying song structure although the moments these are heard tend to expire before they can be properly tasted or you can be sure that they even fit there.

The best qualities of Reek of Putrefaction include its novelty as well as its collective vocals that are as putrid yet amusing as the lyrics. Not to mention that slight tickle to your funny bone that is triggered when you see that you are listening to a song named “Vomited Anal Tract” and hearing the few audible lyrics within. This album is not for the faint of heart, it’s for those that like to mutilate their food and let it decompose for a few days before trying to ingest it. Their later albums Necroticism and Heartwork are much easier on the digestive tract in my opinion.

Highlights: Regurgitation of Giblets, Foeticide and Pungent Excruciation.

Rating: 3.5 / 10

***Before anyone nags on me for the low rating, keep in mind I'm a Necroticism kind of girl :lol:
    Malaka
    Lieutenant

by Malaka » Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:04 am

I'm with ya Marlo. Necroticism is their best, hands down. And the crust/grind just doesn't do it for me. I respect and appreciate it, but I can't listen to it every day.
    Batushka>Be'lakor>DarkFortress>Draconian>Hypocrisy>Mgla>PowerTrip>RottingChrist>Scour>SLAYER>TheatreofTragedyReunion>Triptykon>Uada>Wolfheart
  • meshuggah
    Ensign

by meshuggah » Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:56 am

gnoff_the_creep wrote:
    vikingbitch wrote:Rating: 3.5 / 10

***Before anyone nags on me for the low rating, keep in mind I'm a Necroticism kind of girl :lol:

I think Jeff would agree with your rating, or rate it even lower.
  • BehnWilson
    Midshipman

by BehnWilson » Sat Jan 18, 2014 3:48 am

Malaka wrote:I'm with ya Marlo. Necroticism is their best, hands down. And the crust/grind just doesn't do it for me. I respect and appreciate it, but I can't listen to it every day.

I totally agree. I try really hard to get myself to like their first two albums but just cant get into them. I I absolutely love the Necrotism album especially the song Corporal Jigsore Quandary. Same thing w Repulsion, I try to like them as they are one of the originators of the death metal gig but I cant get into Horrified either as much as I try to.
  • BehnWilson
    Midshipman

by BehnWilson » Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:48 pm

Finally got around to getting the Holocausto De La Morte cd recently. LIke it but not as much as their Seasons Of The Dead cd. Holocausto is almost a novelty cd, the guitarist /primary songwriter is "Anton Crowley"' who liked the band back in the day and got the singer to put out this new album which Phil had written for a bunch of horror themed songs. Anton Crowley here was Phil Anselmo from Pantera (under a pseudonym) playing guitar on this album. How many side projects does this dude have?