Discuss anything else here
User

LadyBlackfhyre

Rank

Midshipman

Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:26 am

Re: What book are you reading at the moment ?

by LadyBlackfhyre » Sun Apr 06, 2014 6:05 pm

I have been reading the books on my phone, so I have them all ready to go! I just need to find more time to read!

70,000 Tons of Metal Survivor - 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016 Here I come!
User

DJ Old Man Stares

Rank

Midshipman

Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:53 pm

Portland, OR U.S.A.

by DJ Old Man Stares » Sun Apr 06, 2014 6:14 pm

X-Thor wrote:
LadyBlackfhyre wrote:How many books are slow in WoT? It is still a goo read though correct?

I'm excited to see how things unfold. I am loving every second of reading Wheel of Time!!!!!

Books 7 and 8 start to slow down. Books 9 and 10 are SLOOOOOOWWWWW, but still entertaining. It has a lot of plot to unravel, so it doesn't advance much. Then it gets awesome and faster again.

I guess it's better if you read them having the next book already with you.

I thought book six was the first really slow one. I have many gripes about that one. You can tell that's where Robert Jordan didn't know quite where he was going with everyone and that he was getting paid by the word.

I thought book 7 was great, but many people complain about that one. Personally I believe he should've condensed the awesome stuff in books 6 and 7 for one amazing book.

Books 8 and 9 should have been condensed. Book eight was terribly slow and ended horribly, and while book nine was pretty slow the ending was well worth it.

Book 10 should have never happened, it was a complete waste of time.

Book 11 was a step back in the right direction but I would say at best that its on par with book 7.

Books 12, 13 and 14 reward all your wasted time with finally resolving plots that should have been resolved five books ago. Almost done with book 14 (less than 400 pages left) and its probably the best book out of them all. Keep powering through the slow moments and in time they will pay off.
Wishlist: Razor, Sacrifice, Laaz Rockit, Mekong Delta, Flames (GRC), Bal Sagoth, Running Wild, Sodom, Paradox, Exciter, Dark Angel, Sadus, Attacker, Believer, Emperor, Skelator, Spellcaster, Aeternus, Holy Moses, Setherial
User

X-Thor

Rank

Lieutenant

Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:11 am

Mexico City, Mexico

by X-Thor » Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:33 pm

DJ Old Man Stares wrote:
X-Thor wrote:
LadyBlackfhyre wrote:How many books are slow in WoT? It is still a goo read though correct?

I'm excited to see how things unfold. I am loving every second of reading Wheel of Time!!!!!

Books 7 and 8 start to slow down. Books 9 and 10 are SLOOOOOOWWWWW, but still entertaining. It has a lot of plot to unravel, so it doesn't advance much. Then it gets awesome and faster again.

I guess it's better if you read them having the next book already with you.

I thought book six was the first really slow one. I have many gripes about that one. You can tell that's where Robert Jordan didn't know quite where he was going with everyone and that he was getting paid by the word.

I thought book 7 was great, but many people complain about that one. Personally I believe he should've condensed the awesome stuff in books 6 and 7 for one amazing book.

Books 8 and 9 should have been condensed. Book eight was terribly slow and ended horribly, and while book nine was pretty slow the ending was well worth it.

Book 10 should have never happened, it was a complete waste of time.

Book 11 was a step back in the right direction but I would say at best that its on par with book 7.

Books 12, 13 and 14 reward all your wasted time with finally resolving plots that should have been resolved five books ago. Almost done with book 14 (less than 400 pages left) and its probably the best book out of them all. Keep powering through the slow moments and in time they will pay off.

I'd say Book 6's ending is fucking awesome. I got the impression that Mr Jordan clearly knew where he was going, but he had trouble moving the plot and the characters towards that end.
70K 2013 SURVIVOR (Cabin 2120)
70K 2014 SURVIVOR (Cabin 2565)

In perpetual post-cruise depression/pre-cruise anxiety.

Doing my best to be there for 2015.
--
Wishlist: Blind Guardian and Saurom. Will probably like 90%+ of the bands onbroad anyway.
User

DJ Old Man Stares

Rank

Midshipman

Portland, OR U.S.A.

by DJ Old Man Stares » Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:39 am

He had trouble moving the plot and characters because he didn't know where he was going. I find that even more evident in the tenth book "Crossroads of Twilight," I mean its written in the title itself. The tenth book contained no events and was just every character in the story second guessing him or herself. I thought the ending to the sixth book was indeed fucking awesome, but should have come far sooner than it did. Far too much unnecessary build up.
Wishlist: Razor, Sacrifice, Laaz Rockit, Mekong Delta, Flames (GRC), Bal Sagoth, Running Wild, Sodom, Paradox, Exciter, Dark Angel, Sadus, Attacker, Believer, Emperor, Skelator, Spellcaster, Aeternus, Holy Moses, Setherial
User

LadyBlackfhyre

Rank

Midshipman

by LadyBlackfhyre » Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:27 am

DJ Old Man Stares wrote:He had trouble moving the plot and characters because he didn't know where he was going. I find that even more evident in the tenth book "Crossroads of Twilight," I mean its written in the title itself. The tenth book contained no events and was just every character in the story second guessing him or herself. I thought the ending to the sixth book was indeed fucking awesome, but should have come far sooner than it did. Far too much unnecessary build up.

I am about halfway into book 6 right now... even though it is a little slow I am enjoying it. I just really love the story so far. I'm super excited to continue on!!!!!!
I just also need to figure out when to read book 0 New Spring.....

User

X-Thor

Rank

Lieutenant

Mexico City, Mexico

by X-Thor » Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:27 pm

LadyBlackfhyre wrote:
DJ Old Man Stares wrote:He had trouble moving the plot and characters because he didn't know where he was going. I find that even more evident in the tenth book "Crossroads of Twilight," I mean its written in the title itself. The tenth book contained no events and was just every character in the story second guessing him or herself. I thought the ending to the sixth book was indeed fucking awesome, but should have come far sooner than it did. Far too much unnecessary build up.

I am about halfway into book 6 right now... even though it is a little slow I am enjoying it. I just really love the story so far. I'm super excited to continue on!!!!!!
I just also need to figure out when to read book 0 New Spring.....

I would say it's a good idea to read it between books 8 and 10, when you feel like you need a break. I read it when I finished Book 13.

--
Wishlist: Blind Guardian and Saurom. Will probably like 90%+ of the bands onbroad anyway.
User

DJ Old Man Stares

Rank

Midshipman

Portland, OR U.S.A.

by DJ Old Man Stares » Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:28 pm

I believe New Spring was written after book 7. After reading book 7 New Spring should make much more sense than reading it in chronological order. If you don't read New Spring you really are not missing that much. That being said, I'm enjoying the final book so much that a few years from now I might go through the entire series starting with New Spring again. You're in for lots of sleep, but you're in for a wild ride with the final trilogy alone. Enjoy the ride!
User

ShoreSlayer

Rank

Captain

Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:56 pm

Vancouver, BC

by ShoreSlayer » Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:37 am

Samhain wrote:I would definitely recommend Forest House, I actually preferred it to Mists.

I did not find Priestess of Avalon as consistent with Mists and Forest House, it took me over 6 months to finish it as it really seemed to just lag on and yet somehow lacked the depth of previous books.

Agreed. Forest House was a great prequel.

Samhain, did you know that MZB passed away during the writing of Priestess so it was finished by the woman who has now written a couple more in the line (Diana Paxson)? I suspect that may have to do with why you found it inconsistent/different etc. I've only read the first 3 books and have decided to leave it at that since Lady of Avalon fell a bit flat for me in comparison with Mists and FH.
So far at least, 2011, 2012 & 2015 were enough for me
:shred:Book 'em ANDO!! :headbanger:
User

EpidemicReign

Rank

Petty Officer

Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:30 pm

Avondale, AZ, USA

by EpidemicReign » Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:58 pm

I haven't read anything in a couple months... I was storming through GRRM's ASOIAF series and fell off a couple chapters into A Dance With Dragons. I think I just kind of burnt myself out on it. Will be resuming shortly.

When I started reading the series I thought I was in a race to get caught up before the sixth book comes out. Boy, was I wrong.
2018 Booked
2017 Survivor
2015 Survivor
User

X-Thor

Rank

Lieutenant

Mexico City, Mexico

by X-Thor » Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:32 pm

EpidemicReign wrote:When I started reading the series I thought I was in a race to get caught up before the sixth book comes out. Boy, was I wrong.

You poor, summer child.

--
User

LadyBlackfhyre

Rank

Midshipman

by LadyBlackfhyre » Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:42 am

DJ Old Man Stares wrote:I believe New Spring was written after book 7. After reading book 7 New Spring should make much more sense than reading it in chronological order. If you don't read New Spring you really are not missing that much. That being said, I'm enjoying the final book so much that a few years from now I might go through the entire series starting with New Spring again. You're in for lots of sleep, but you're in for a wild ride with the final trilogy alone. Enjoy the ride!

okie dokie - I will ready it at some point after book 7 then - I'll see what Charlie wants to do as we are reading the series at the same pace!

no avatar
User

sageoftruth

Rank

Lieutenant

Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:08 pm

Boston, MA

by sageoftruth » Sat Apr 12, 2014 12:56 pm

I just started Forest House by Marion Zimmer Bradley. Started, as in, read the first page. It took me awhile to get back into the habit of reading. I remember once reading a book called "Ramses" by Christian Jacq, that was about the Egyptian pharaoh. Just like Mysts of Avalon, even though it was historical fiction, the gods were real and miracles really happened. It even managed to portray Moses as an impostor wielding false magic. It makes me wonder what it would've been like if someone rewrote Mysts of Avalon from the perspective of a devout Roman Catholic. All of the events would have been the same, only from the perspective of someone who believed in God and either dismissed the pagan beliefs as false superstition, or believed it to be dark magic.
I suppose that was already done in some of the original Arthurian tales, but those books tended to gloss over all the stuff that happened with the women. What if Gwynethfar was the main character of Mysts of Avalon?
no avatar
User

GamingCarl

Rank

Wiper

Sun Apr 13, 2014 5:54 am

by GamingCarl » Sun Apr 13, 2014 5:57 am

I'm reading Italo Calvino's "If on a winter's night a traveler". It is soooo good. Can only recommend!
User

DJ Old Man Stares

Rank

Midshipman

Portland, OR U.S.A.

by DJ Old Man Stares » Sat Jun 07, 2014 7:30 am

Haven't been on here much with what I've been reading. Anyway, finished the Final Wheel of Time book sometime in March or beginning of April. It was completely awesome. There was about a thousand pages of nothing but the battle that Robert Jordan has promised us for so many years. Without adding any spoilers all I can say is that the wait was surprisingly worth it. Stick through the slow times and eventually you will be rewarded with the final payoff.
User

Stained Class

Rank

Commander

Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:53 am

Vancouver, British Columbia

by Stained Class » Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:18 pm

Stained Class wrote:
Stained Class On November 4th wrote:Image
About 100 pages in already. Book 3 was fucking incredible right through to the last page! I'm hoping this one isn't as boring as a lot of the readers say it is. So far it's not bad.

Jeez that took me a while. Just finished it and now moving on to:

Also as far as people saying that that book was boring compared to the previous ones; it was.

Done. Come on George get that fucking sixth book out!!!!
The infamous LOLLIPOP

70K 2011, 70K 2012, BTH 2012, 70K 2013, 70K 2014, 70K 2015, 70K 2016, 70K 2017
I may have an addiction

Much want:
Aeternam-/-Alkaloid-/-Arkaik-/-Be'Lakor-/-Bloodshot.Dawn-/-Conquering.Dystopia-/-First.Fragment-/-Hypocrisy-/-Inferi-/-Persefone-/-Persuader-/-Vale.Of.Pnath

Also want:
Andy.James-/-Amiensus-/-Anubis.Gate-/-Arcturus-/-Barren.Earth-/-Caligula's.Horse-/-Chthonic-/-Enfold.Darkness-/-Entrails-/-Eternal.Tears.Of.Sorrow-/-Ex.Deo-/-Firesoul-/-Ghost.Brigade-/-Gorod-/-Haken-/-Harakiri.For.The.Sky-/-Ihsahn-/-In.Mourning-/-In.Vain-/-Krampus-/-Lost.Society-/-Madder.Mortem-/-Marty.Friedman-/-Meadows.End-/-Mistur-/-October.Tide-/-Rodrigo.y.Gabriela-/-Russkaja-/-Saor-/-Savatage-/-Snowy.Shaw-/-Spawn.Of.Possession-/-Steel.Panther-/-Stormlord-/-Suidakra-/-Teramaze-/-Toxik-/-Virvum-/-Vuur-/-Wilderun-/-Witherfall-/-Whispered-/-Wolfchant-/-Wolfheart-/-Wyrd-/-Xanthochroid

Repeats:
The.Absence-/-Anaal.Nathrakh-/-Coroner-/-Cripper-/-Dragonforce-/-Firewind-/-Helloween-/-Iced.Earth-/-Kampfar-/-Obituary-/-Onslaught-/-Sodom

Reunions:
Dismember-/-Forbidden-/-Kiuas-/-myGRAIN-/-Nevermore

www.facebook.com/Apprenticemetal
User

Speedy

Rank

Ensign

Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:51 am

Trondheim, Norway

by Speedy » Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:38 am

Stained Class wrote:
Stained Class wrote:
Stained Class On November 4th wrote:Image
About 100 pages in already. Book 3 was fucking incredible right through to the last page! I'm hoping this one isn't as boring as a lot of the readers say it is. So far it's not bad.

Also as far as people saying that that book was boring compared to the previous ones; it was.

I'm moderately confident that it will be out this century :lol: :lol: :lol:
70k 2013 cabin 4008
70k 2014 cabin 2565
70k 2015 cabin 8687
70k 2016 cabin 7607
70k 2017 cabin 6667

(Part) Norwegian Wishlist: -Audrey.Horne-/-Borknagar-/-Chontaraz-/-Chrome.Division-/-Circus.Maximus-/-Dimension.F3h-/-Divided.Multitude-/-Djerv-/-Enslaved-/-Evig.Natt-/-Glittertind-/-Gothminister-/-Highland.Glory-/-ICS.Vortex-/-Ihsahn-/-Jorn-/-Leprous-/-Lumsk-/-Memorized.Dreams-/-Midnattsol-/-Mortemia-/-Nergard-/-Pagan's.Mind-/-Savn-/-Sirenia-/-Svölk-/-Tellus.Requiem-/-Triosphere-/-The.Sirens-/-Tristania-/-Viper.Solfa-/-Vredehammer-/-Withem-

International Wishlist: -Abinchova-/-Accept-/-Amberian.Dawn-/-Amon.Amarth-/-Ancient.Bards-/-And.Then.She.Came-/-Аркона-/-Avantasia-/-Battle.Beast-/-Battlelore-/-Beyond.the.Bridge-/-Blind.Guardian-/-Crimfall-/-Cripper-/-Dark.Sarah-/-Delain-/-Diabulus.in.Musica-/-Die.Apokalyptischen.Reiter-/-Doro-/-Dragonforce-/-Dream.Theater-/-Eisbrecher-/-Eluveitie-/-Elvenking-/-Ensiferum-/-Epica-/-Evenoire-/-Ex.Libris-/-Fejd-/-Finsterforst-/-Freedom.Call-/-Fylgja-/-Gloryhammer-/-Грай-/-Grailknights-/-Hammerfall-/-Heavatar-/-Heidevolk-/-Heldmaschine-/-Helloween-/-Ignea-/-Izegrim-/-Jaded.Star-/-Калевала-/-Kivimetsän.Druidi-/-Korpiklaani-/-Lacuna.Coil-/-Lingua.Mortis.Orchestra-/-Magistina.Saga-/-MaYaN-/-Megaherz-/-Metsatöll-/-Moonspell-/-Ne.Obliviscaris-/-Невидь-/-Nightwish-/-Nine.Treasures-/-November-7-/-Oomph!-/-Powerwolf-/-Queensrÿche-/-Rage-/-Ragnaröek-/-Raubtier-/-Rhapsody-/-Running.Wild-/-Sabaton-/-Schwarzer.Engel-/-Skálmöld-/-Sleeping.Romance-/-Смута-/-Stahlmann-/-Subway.to.Sally-/-Svartsot-/-Symphony.X-/-Tarja-/-Tengger.Cavalry-/-The.Privateer-/-Turisas-/-Twilight.Force-/-Týr-/-U.D.O.-/-Van.Canto-/-Vanden.Plas-/-Vika-/-Visions.of.Atlantis-/-Vogelfrey-/-Volbeat-/-VUUR-/-White.Shadow-/-Winterstorm-/-Wintersun-/-Within.Temptation-
User

X-Thor

Rank

Lieutenant

Mexico City, Mexico

by X-Thor » Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:17 am

I've been powering through Brandon Sanderon's work. Read Words of Radiance (Stormlight Archive pt II), then Mistborn. I'm close to finishing the second Mistborn book (The Well of Ascension). I have to say, right now, Sanderson is definitely my favorite fantasy author.

--
no avatar
User

Soundchaser

Rank

Petty Officer

Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:45 pm

Switzerland

by Soundchaser » Thu Jun 12, 2014 3:01 pm

just a tiny one, but timeless truth within

The Peter Principle: Why Things Always Go Wrong
Dr. Laurence J. Peter / Raymond Hull
ISBN-13: 978-0062092069
70kt Survivor: 2013 / 2014 / 2015 / 2016 / 2017
User

gundiesalvo

Rank

Petty Officer

Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:25 pm

Playa del Carmen, Mexico

by gundiesalvo » Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:02 am

Speedy wrote:
Stained Class wrote:
Stained Class wrote:quote="Stained Class On November 4th"]Image

I'm moderately confident that it will be out this century :lol: :lol: :lol:[/quote]

Yeah, however if it does come out around the end of it we will probably still miss it.

I finished Dance with Dragons recently and then jumped to Zen and the art of Motorcycle Maintenance by Pirsig, great read! Now with a collection of short stories by Jack London.
70000 Tons 2015 Cabin 2604
70000 Tons 2016 ?
Wishlist:to-be-filled-in-later
User

viathyn

Rank

Commander

Fri Apr 09, 2010 4:35 pm

Calgary, Alberta, Canada

by viathyn » Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:11 am

2011: Cabin #5549
2012: Cabin #2581
2013: Cabin #2077
2014: Cabin #2583
2015: Cabin #3242

Please check out my band
http://www.facebook.com/VIATHYN

User

X-Thor

Rank

Lieutenant

Mexico City, Mexico

by X-Thor » Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:08 pm

Finished with the Mistborn trilogy. I can confidently say that Brandon Sanderson is my favorite fantasy author.

Now reading: The Emperor's Blades, by new writer Brian Staveley. So far, I'm liking it.

And Malazan is on the to-read list, though I have about one month and a half before grad school, so I'll probably interrupt the saga... :cry: :cry:

--
User

viathyn

Rank

Commander

Calgary, Alberta, Canada

by viathyn » Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:34 pm

It's ok man, you'll want to take your time anyways. I've read several other books in the period since I started malazan (October 2013)

Please check out my band

User

Feanorgandalf

Rank

Chief Petty Officer

Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:10 pm

Calgary, Alberta

by Feanorgandalf » Wed Jun 25, 2014 6:17 pm

X-Thor wrote:Finished with the Mistborn trilogy. I can confidently say that Brandon Sanderson is my favorite fantasy author.

Now reading: The Emperor's Blades, by new writer Brian Staveley. So far, I'm liking it.

And Malazan is on the to-read list, though I have about one month and a half before grad school, so I'll probably interrupt the saga... :cry: :cry:

When he took over after Robert Jordan passed away he brought new life to the wheel of time series. Enough that I need to check out his stuff. Still have Song of Ice and Fire, and The Dark Tower series to read first
User

X-Thor

Rank

Lieutenant

Mexico City, Mexico

by X-Thor » Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:14 pm

Feanorgandalf wrote:
X-Thor wrote:Finished with the Mistborn trilogy. I can confidently say that Brandon Sanderson is my favorite fantasy author.

When he took over after Robert Jordan passed away he brought new life to the wheel of time series. Enough that I need to check out his stuff. Still have Song of Ice and Fire, and The Dark Tower series to read first

I say go for Mistborn first. Three short books, you'll be done within the month. Then you can plunge into the incredibly detailed world of GRRM's creation...

--
User

gundiesalvo

Rank

Petty Officer

Playa del Carmen, Mexico

by gundiesalvo » Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:21 pm

I haven't read Mistborn so I don't have a point of comparison, but Song of Ice and Fire will be a long read, also because you'll find yourself loving the point of view of some characters and hating others, so maybe one day you'll read 50 pages and then the next 50 will take you a week. So it's also good to have alternate reading material.
70000 Tons 2016 ?
User

X-Thor

Rank

Lieutenant

Mexico City, Mexico

by X-Thor » Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:40 pm

gundiesalvo wrote:you'll find yourself loving the point of view of some characters and hating others

This.

--
User

Speedy

Rank

Ensign

Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:51 am

Trondheim, Norway

by Speedy » Thu Jun 26, 2014 3:09 am

Speaking of GRRM:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
70k 2013 cabin 4008
70k 2014 cabin 2565
70k 2015 cabin 8687
70k 2016 cabin 7607
70k 2017 cabin 6667

(Part) Norwegian Wishlist: -Audrey.Horne-/-Borknagar-/-Chontaraz-/-Chrome.Division-/-Circus.Maximus-/-Dimension.F3h-/-Divided.Multitude-/-Djerv-/-Enslaved-/-Evig.Natt-/-Glittertind-/-Gothminister-/-Highland.Glory-/-ICS.Vortex-/-Ihsahn-/-Jorn-/-Leprous-/-Lumsk-/-Memorized.Dreams-/-Midnattsol-/-Mortemia-/-Nergard-/-Pagan's.Mind-/-Savn-/-Sirenia-/-Svölk-/-Tellus.Requiem-/-Triosphere-/-The.Sirens-/-Tristania-/-Viper.Solfa-/-Vredehammer-/-Withem-

International Wishlist: -Abinchova-/-Accept-/-Amberian.Dawn-/-Amon.Amarth-/-Ancient.Bards-/-And.Then.She.Came-/-Аркона-/-Avantasia-/-Battle.Beast-/-Battlelore-/-Beyond.the.Bridge-/-Blind.Guardian-/-Crimfall-/-Cripper-/-Dark.Sarah-/-Delain-/-Diabulus.in.Musica-/-Die.Apokalyptischen.Reiter-/-Doro-/-Dragonforce-/-Dream.Theater-/-Eisbrecher-/-Eluveitie-/-Elvenking-/-Ensiferum-/-Epica-/-Evenoire-/-Ex.Libris-/-Fejd-/-Finsterforst-/-Freedom.Call-/-Fylgja-/-Gloryhammer-/-Грай-/-Grailknights-/-Hammerfall-/-Heavatar-/-Heidevolk-/-Heldmaschine-/-Helloween-/-Ignea-/-Izegrim-/-Jaded.Star-/-Калевала-/-Kivimetsän.Druidi-/-Korpiklaani-/-Lacuna.Coil-/-Lingua.Mortis.Orchestra-/-Magistina.Saga-/-MaYaN-/-Megaherz-/-Metsatöll-/-Moonspell-/-Ne.Obliviscaris-/-Невидь-/-Nightwish-/-Nine.Treasures-/-November-7-/-Oomph!-/-Powerwolf-/-Queensrÿche-/-Rage-/-Ragnaröek-/-Raubtier-/-Rhapsody-/-Running.Wild-/-Sabaton-/-Schwarzer.Engel-/-Skálmöld-/-Sleeping.Romance-/-Смута-/-Stahlmann-/-Subway.to.Sally-/-Svartsot-/-Symphony.X-/-Tarja-/-Tengger.Cavalry-/-The.Privateer-/-Turisas-/-Twilight.Force-/-Týr-/-U.D.O.-/-Van.Canto-/-Vanden.Plas-/-Vika-/-Visions.of.Atlantis-/-Vogelfrey-/-Volbeat-/-VUUR-/-White.Shadow-/-Winterstorm-/-Wintersun-/-Within.Temptation-
User

gundiesalvo

Rank

Petty Officer

Playa del Carmen, Mexico

by gundiesalvo » Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:13 am

Yes, more than once my books foun themselves flung across the room.
70000 Tons 2016 ?
User

LadyBlackfhyre

Rank

Midshipman

by LadyBlackfhyre » Fri Jun 27, 2014 2:29 pm

DJ Old Man Stares wrote:Haven't been on here much with what I've been reading. Anyway, finished the Final Wheel of Time book sometime in March or beginning of April. It was completely awesome. There was about a thousand pages of nothing but the battle that Robert Jordan has promised us for so many years. Without adding any spoilers all I can say is that the wait was surprisingly worth it. Stick through the slow times and eventually you will be rewarded with the final payoff.

got 5 chapters left of book 6 - hopefully I will finish it this week! Slowly moving along

User

Stained Class

Rank

Commander

by Stained Class » Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:08 am

Started on this guy the other day Image

Also picked this up.

The infamous LOLLIPOP

I may have an addiction

Much want:
Aeternam-/-Alkaloid-/-Arkaik-/-Be'Lakor-/-Bloodshot.Dawn-/-Conquering.Dystopia-/-First.Fragment-/-Hypocrisy-/-Inferi-/-Persefone-/-Persuader-/-Vale.Of.Pnath

Also want:
Andy.James-/-Amiensus-/-Anubis.Gate-/-Arcturus-/-Barren.Earth-/-Caligula's.Horse-/-Chthonic-/-Enfold.Darkness-/-Entrails-/-Eternal.Tears.Of.Sorrow-/-Ex.Deo-/-Firesoul-/-Ghost.Brigade-/-Gorod-/-Haken-/-Harakiri.For.The.Sky-/-Ihsahn-/-In.Mourning-/-In.Vain-/-Krampus-/-Lost.Society-/-Madder.Mortem-/-Marty.Friedman-/-Meadows.End-/-Mistur-/-October.Tide-/-Rodrigo.y.Gabriela-/-Russkaja-/-Saor-/-Savatage-/-Snowy.Shaw-/-Spawn.Of.Possession-/-Steel.Panther-/-Stormlord-/-Suidakra-/-Teramaze-/-Toxik-/-Virvum-/-Vuur-/-Wilderun-/-Witherfall-/-Whispered-/-Wolfchant-/-Wolfheart-/-Wyrd-/-Xanthochroid

Repeats:
The.Absence-/-Anaal.Nathrakh-/-Coroner-/-Cripper-/-Dragonforce-/-Firewind-/-Helloween-/-Iced.Earth-/-Kampfar-/-Obituary-/-Onslaught-/-Sodom

Reunions:

User

Disaster Area

Rank

Lieutenant

Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:00 pm

Bakersfield<California<USA<North America<Western Hemisphere<Earth

by Disaster Area » Tue Jul 01, 2014 2:55 pm

LadyBlackfhyre wrote:
DJ Old Man Stares wrote:Haven't been on here much with what I've been reading. Anyway, finished the Final Wheel of Time book sometime in March or beginning of April. It was completely awesome. There was about a thousand pages of nothing but the battle that Robert Jordan has promised us for so many years. Without adding any spoilers all I can say is that the wait was surprisingly worth it. Stick through the slow times and eventually you will be rewarded with the final payoff.

got 5 chapters left of book 6 - hopefully I will finish it this week! Slowly moving along

I'm on ch 10 of book one...

:cheers:
Disaster Area: a plutonium rock band from the Gagrakacka Mind Zones, are generally held to be not only the loudest rock band in the history of the Galaxy, but the loudest noise of any kind at all.

11,12,14,15,16, noshow 2017
User

viathyn

Rank

Commander

Calgary, Alberta, Canada

by viathyn » Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:34 pm

Just finished Toll the Hounds (Malazan book 8) yesterday.

First off, it was a 1300 page monstrosity in which countless characters all explore long and drawn-out philosophical tirades about the nature of the universe, their relationship with mortality, and the profound sorrow inherent in every personal relationship. That being said, it was brilliant and harrowing with a monster of an ending. Erikson has got to be the most ambitious fantasy writer out there. His series is over 11,000 pages and over 3.3 MILLION words. There are OVER SEVEN HUNDRED named characters.

Toll the Hounds was most definitely the beginning of the end, and for many storylines.... it was the end.

Welp.

Off to read Dust of Dreams now, I guess.

Please check out my band

User

viathyn

Rank

Commander

Calgary, Alberta, Canada

by viathyn » Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:34 pm

I told myself I was gonna take a break.......

....but...

....but..... I'm addicted to this series...

Please check out my band

User

Stained Class

Rank

Commander

by Stained Class » Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:37 pm

This series is going to take me sooooo long to read.
The infamous LOLLIPOP

I may have an addiction

Much want:

Also want:

Repeats:

Reunions:

User

viathyn

Rank

Commander

Calgary, Alberta, Canada

by viathyn » Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:39 pm

How's Gardens of the Moon?

Deadhouse Gates (book 2) onwards is a roller coaster ride. You'll read books 2-10 much faster.

Please check out my band

User

viathyn

Rank

Commander

Calgary, Alberta, Canada

by viathyn » Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:44 pm

To put things in perspective, I read the first book between October and December of last year but then was on book 4 by the time 70K happened. Since then I have slowed down (but the books have also gotten much, much bigger)

Please check out my band

User

Stained Class

Rank

Commander

by Stained Class » Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:53 pm

Haven't really had time to read it. About a third through it. I'll get some solid reading done flying over the next month.
The infamous LOLLIPOP

I may have an addiction

Much want:

Also want:

Repeats:

Reunions:

User

X-Thor

Rank

Lieutenant

Mexico City, Mexico

by X-Thor » Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:33 pm

Since I transitioned to e-books, I'm reading a lot more. Currently reading Elantris, by Brandon Sanderson.

Oh, and Emperor's Blades is all kinds of awesome. You guys should totally check it out.

--
no avatar
User

sageoftruth

Rank

Lieutenant

Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:08 pm

Boston, MA

by sageoftruth » Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:29 am

I'm doing two at once right now.

One is a book on the psychology of morality.
Really interesting, since it covers the things that drive us to moralize in the first place. Since I can be pretty judgmental of strangers, I'm hoping this book will turn my life around a bit.

The second is "The Witcher: The Last Wish" by Andrzej Sapkowski (good luck pronouncing that one), a fun romp through a bunch of amusing short stories about Geralt, the witcher. It has a good, offbeat sense of humor to it.
User

mbob

Rank

Petty Officer

Fri Jun 27, 2014 1:17 pm

Montgomery, Texas

by mbob » Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:09 am

I am finally getting around to finishing this series.

2015 - Survivor...Finally! (8320)
2016 - Survivor (2292)
2017 - Survivor (9618)
2018 - 9678!

Please...Accept-|-Alestorm-|-Amon.Amarth-|-Ancient.Bards-|-Apocalyptica-|-Arkona-|-Astral.Doors-|-Atlas.Pain-|-Avantasia-|-Behemoth-|-Blind.Guardian-|-Borknagar-|-Brymir-|-Cain's.Offering-|-Children.of.Bodom-|-Civil.War-|-Crimfall-|-Delain-|-Demons.and.Wizards-|-DragonForce-|-Dragonland-|-Dragony-|-Doro-|-Edguy-|-Eluveitie-|-Ensiferum-|-Epica-|-Ex.Deo-|-Exodus-|-Falconer-|-Firewind-|-Freedom.Call-|-GammaRay-|-Gloryhammer-|-Hammerfall-|-Heathen.Foray-|-Helloween-|-Helstar-|-Holy.Grail-|-Iced.Earth-|-In.Flames-|-In.Extremo-|-Korpiklaani-|-Lacuna.Coil-|-Lizzy.Borden-|-Manowar-|-Metal.Church-|-Nightwish-|-Nothgard-|-Powerwolf-|-Pretty.Maids-|-Primal.Fear-|-Rage-|-Refuge-|-Rhaposody-|-Running.Wild-|-Sabaton-|-Savatage-|-Saxon-|-Serious.Black-|-Sonata.Arctica-|-Stratovarius-|-Svbway.To.Sally-|-Turisas-|-Twilight.Force-|-Tyr-|-U.D.O.-|-Unisonic-|-Van.Canto-|-Venom-|-Wintersun
PreviousNext