Rank

Lieutenant

Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:08 pm

Boston, MA

Re: Bucket Lists

by sageoftruth » Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:34 am

mooyagi wrote:
sageoftruth wrote:I've finally assembled something for my bucket list:
Go somewhere outside of Massachusetts without prompting from someone else.

I'm usually the one that drags you out of the state :lol: Well, I guess your family does too.

Yeah. Traveling is such a hassle and I'm too much of a pessimist to assume it'll be worth it.
User

WizardBeast

Rank

Captain

Sat May 15, 2010 4:11 pm

Denver, CO

by WizardBeast » Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:52 am

sageoftruth wrote:
mooyagi wrote:

I'm usually the one that drags you out of the state :lol: Well, I guess your family does too.

Yeah. Traveling is such a hassle and I'm too much of a pessimist to assume it'll be worth it.

so weird. i think traveling is awesome, even with the discomforts inherent in the process. i am just so excited to be going somewhere that i don't care about being stuck in airports and plains and trains and whatever...
2018 wishlist: Jon Oliva / Savatage, Ihsahn, Gojira, Borknagar, Jorn, Goatwhore, Emperor, Madder Mortem, Gorguts, Memoriam, Devin Townsend, Meshuggah, Hypocrisy, Persefone, Be'lakor, In Mourning, Bal Sagoth, Isole, Eleventh Hour, Daylight Dies, Alarum
User

mooyagi

Rank

Captain

Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:25 pm

Tucson, AZ, USA

by mooyagi » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:15 am

sageoftruth wrote:
KDibildeaux wrote:

Weren't you gonna come to AZ ? :mrgreen:

First of all, I was invited by my friends who were going as well.

Second of all... I declined. One of them did not represent herself very well as someone I'd like to go traveling with.

You can hang out with us instead!
I should get around to updating my signature
User

mooyagi

Rank

Captain

Tucson, AZ, USA

by mooyagi » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:15 am

WizardBeast wrote:
so weird. i think traveling is awesome, even with the discomforts inherent in the process. i am just so excited to be going somewhere that i don't care about being stuck in airports and plains and trains and whatever...

Agreed. And really, I haven't had too many complaints with air/train/car travel thus far. A few things but nothing to sour traveling for me. Not by a long shot.
User

WizardBeast

Rank

Captain

Denver, CO

by WizardBeast » Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:25 am

mooyagi wrote:
WizardBeast wrote:

Agreed. And really, I haven't had too many complaints with air/train/car travel thus far. A few things but nothing to sour traveling for me. Not by a long shot.

and i've even been puked on, had food dumped on me, been kicked, and even grabbed by an old perv on planes! and i STILL love to travel. LOL
2018 wishlist: Jon Oliva / Savatage, Ihsahn, Gojira, Borknagar, Jorn, Goatwhore, Emperor, Madder Mortem, Gorguts, Memoriam, Devin Townsend, Meshuggah, Hypocrisy, Persefone, Be'lakor, In Mourning, Bal Sagoth, Isole, Eleventh Hour, Daylight Dies, Alarum
User

mooyagi

Rank

Captain

Tucson, AZ, USA

by mooyagi » Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:28 am

WizardBeast wrote:
mooyagi wrote:
WizardBeast wrote:

and i've even been puked on, had food dumped on me, been kicked, and even grabbed by an old perv on planes! and i STILL love to travel. LOL

Didn't know Nick was capable of those acts :shock:
no avatar
User

sageoftruth

Rank

Lieutenant

Boston, MA

by sageoftruth » Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:30 am

WizardBeast wrote:

Don't get me wrong, I love plains.

User

WizardBeast

Rank

Captain

Denver, CO

by WizardBeast » Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:30 am

all of these things happened years ago, before i even knew nick, LOL
User

WizardBeast

Rank

Captain

Denver, CO

by WizardBeast » Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:30 am

sageoftruth wrote:
WizardBeast wrote:

oh for fucks sake, i know how to spell plane see a few posts above. LOL
User

mooyagi

Rank

Captain

Tucson, AZ, USA

by mooyagi » Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:32 am

sageoftruth wrote:
WizardBeast wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol:
User

WizardBeast

Rank

Captain

Denver, CO

by WizardBeast » Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:32 am

:bitch: :bitch: :bitch: :bitch:
no avatar
User

sageoftruth

Rank

Lieutenant

Boston, MA

by sageoftruth » Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:33 am

WizardBeast wrote:

Joking aside, I grew up traveling to lots of places with my family. We went abroad every vacation and it has taken the wonder and mystery out of traveling, leaving nothing but the hassle and discomfort.
User

WizardBeast

Rank

Captain

Denver, CO

by WizardBeast » Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:36 am

families CAN do that. i did have a rather opposite childhood, single mom, worked a lot, didn't go many places at all.

my mom hasn't even flown since i've been borm

:cry:
Last edited by WizardBeast on Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
User

mooyagi

Rank

Captain

Tucson, AZ, USA

by mooyagi » Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:37 am

WizardBeast wrote::bitch: :bitch: :bitch: :bitch:

I swear, you're getting blonder :lol:
User

mooyagi

Rank

Captain

Tucson, AZ, USA

by mooyagi » Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:39 am

sageoftruth wrote:
WizardBeast wrote:

Joking aside, I grew up traveling to lots of places with my family. We went abroad every vacation and it has taken the wonder and mystery out of traveling, leaving nothing but the hassle and discomfort.

The best thing to do is to not travel with your family. It's much better to go somewhere with friends. You can experience much cooler things that you all would be interested in and not having to do what mom or dad want to do.
User

WizardBeast

Rank

Captain

Denver, CO

by WizardBeast » Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:41 am

mooyagi wrote:

no, just rushing because....trying to do too much.... multitasking is a lie!
no avatar
User

sageoftruth

Rank

Lieutenant

Boston, MA

by sageoftruth » Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:42 am

WizardBeast wrote:families CAN do that.

Very true. It may be that I just don't like traveling in groups. I have to admit that the best part of my trip to Wakken with Ryan and our friends was the two days I spent alone after my early departure from the festival. Still, going on a trip by myself is something I've never done before and it will take some courage and resolve to get myself to try it for the first time.
User

mooyagi

Rank

Captain

Tucson, AZ, USA

by mooyagi » Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:42 am

WizardBeast wrote:
mooyagi wrote:

no, just rushing because....trying to do too much.... multitasking is a lie!

Another photoshop project?
User

WizardBeast

Rank

Captain

Denver, CO

by WizardBeast » Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:42 am

actual work LOL
User

KDibildeaux

Rank

Captain

Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:07 pm

Tucson, AZ

by KDibildeaux » Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:37 pm

sageoftruth wrote:
WizardBeast wrote:

Hahaha that was so funny!
La sabiduría me persigue................pero yo soy más rápida
User

KDibildeaux

Rank

Captain

Tucson, AZ

by KDibildeaux » Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:40 pm

I also love traveling though do hate the whole airport process

sageoftruth wrote:
KDibildeaux wrote:

Weren't you gonna come to AZ ? :mrgreen:

First of all, I was invited by my friends who were going as well.

Second of all... I declined. One of them did not represent herself very well as someone I'd like to go traveling with.

Shame. Would have been fun to have you around. We would have eaten so much sushi!
User

KDibildeaux

Rank

Captain

Tucson, AZ

by KDibildeaux » Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:45 am

KDibildeaux wrote:
KDibildeaux wrote:
KDibildeaux wrote:See and photograph aurora borealis
Photograph fall foliage
Travel from the south coast of Norway all the way up north and then from there go to Finland and travel downward
Finally get an awesome sunset photo of Haystack Rock in Portland
Somehow save up enough money to not have to work and just focus on photography and drawing
Consistently have photo passes for metal concerts and maybe a photo or two published
Do a Pyramid trip throughout Mexico
Have a huge yard where I can have many adopted rescue dogs
Try some under water photography

Also, travel within the US, specifically: Oregon, Washington, Montana, Idaho, the Northeast, New York, Maryland, Alaska, Hawaii
And go to: Antelope Canyon, Yosemite, Grand Canyon and Sedona again, Monument Valley, Yellowstone and Glacier National Parks

Can now scratch off Antelope Canyon and Monument Valley. Will have to redo Monument Valley sometime, though

So after last weekend I can scratch off item #2 on the list, but I definitely would like to do more, hopefully in non rainy weather
User

X-Thor

Rank

Lieutenant

Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:11 am

Mexico City, Mexico

by X-Thor » Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:59 pm

Well, in my bucket list are:

- 70K Tons of metal (113 days until I can scratch it out!)
- Summer trip to Europe, to attend to all the big metal festivals, and visit the nordic countries.
- Winter trip to South America.
- Publish a paper in a peer reviewed journal (might happen soon, figers crossed!!).
- Finish my B.A. thesis, so I can get my degree (My University requires a thesis for graduation, so, even 2+ years after pasing all the courses, I don't have my bachelor's degree).
- Write a fantasy novel.
- Publish a book.
- Go to grad school outside of my country.
- Learn to prorgam.
- Be a teacher/proffessor.
- Learn to play a musical instrument other than drums (which I used to play in high scool).
- Learn a new laguage (German, Frech, Italian)
- Learn Quenya or Sindarn
- Have a significant input in México's policy-making, somehow.
- Attend to as many Barcelona - Real Madrid football (soccer, for Americans) matches as I can.
70K 2013 SURVIVOR (Cabin 2120)
70K 2014 SURVIVOR (Cabin 2565)

In perpetual post-cruise depression/pre-cruise anxiety.

Doing my best to be there for 2015.
--
Wishlist: Blind Guardian and Saurom. Will probably like 90%+ of the bands onbroad anyway.
User

Laura

Rank

Commander

Mon May 10, 2010 7:28 am

cloud 9 chicago

by Laura » Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:23 pm

^^^ That's a great list X-Thor - lots of worthwhile & interesting goals there. :cheers:

I'm in the process of re-vamping my "bucket list(s)" - in particular when it comes to (non-metal) travel. The plans for our trip out to Glacier National Park in Montana next summer are nearly finalized. (visiting as many National Parks as possible has been big on our buckets list for many years now and we've made it to several so far). We're planning this relatively early since we're aware that the prime accomodations during high season (especially for a family of 4) book up early. Another trip in the planning phase is for me to take our older daughter (just the two of us) on a special trip to celebrate her turning 16 next September. Kinda like a "queen for a day"experience- but in this case more like "princess for x # of days." I've talked to her about this and she loves the idea. I came up with the idea when I was in NYC a few weeks ago, and think it would be great for us. Other than that, contemplating some other things - time will tell what pans out.
2009-Wacken-2010-Wacken-2011-70K-Lollapalooza-HoleInTheSky-2012-70K-ColdWaves-2013-Lollapalooza-ColdWaves-2014-ProgNationAtSea-Pitchfork-RiotFest-ColdWaves-2015-RockLegendsCruise-CruiseToTheEdge-2016-ChicagoOpenAir-2017-70K!!
User

X-Thor

Rank

Lieutenant

Mexico City, Mexico

by X-Thor » Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:58 pm

Laura wrote:^^^ That's a great list X-Thor - lots of worthwhile & interesting goals there. :cheers:

I'm in the process of re-vamping my "bucket list(s)" - in particular when it comes to (non-metal) travel. The plans for our trip out to Glacier National Park in Montana next summer are nearly finalized. (visiting as many National Parks as possible has been big on our buckets list for many years now and we've made it to several so far). We're planning this relatively early since we're aware that the prime accomodations during high season (especially for a family of 4) book up early. Another trip in the planning phase is for me to take our older daughter (just the two of us) on a special trip to celebrate her turning 16 next September. Kinda like a "queen for a day"experience- but in this case more like "princess for x # of days." I've talked to her about this and she loves the idea. I came up with the idea when I was in NYC a few weeks ago, and think it would be great for us. Other than that, contemplating some other things - time will tell what pans out.

Thank you! :cheers:

Also, your trip with your daughter sounds like an amazing idea. I'm sure both of you'd love it. :cheers:

--
Wishlist: Blind Guardian and Saurom. Will probably like 90%+ of the bands onbroad anyway.
User

Laura

Rank

Commander

cloud 9 chicago

by Laura » Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:41 am

^^^ yes, it will be a great trip for both of us I think - right now we're leaning toward 4-5 days in New York City - my second favorite American city (next to Chicago :P )....so much to see & do there....especially art, music, & theater-wise. :D

Back to your bucket list...one of the nice things about it, is that it seems that everything is really quite "do-able," that is, things that you can actually accomplish given enough time & determination. And to me (and to be somewhat cliche :P ) it's not so much about "checking something off the list" (even though of course that's a good feeling), but the journey on the way there.

I hit a somewhat strange (albeit satisfying) spot psychologically around age 40 when I realized I'd accomplished most of the things (for example, in the areas of personal & family life, education, activities, career, travel, possessions, and so on), that I dreamed about when I was in my early 20s. And in a few cases, I exceeded beyond what I'd even dreamed about. So, I had a bit of a "now what?" feeling & I had to reinvent my "bucket list(s)"....I look at it now as a perpetual kind of thing that is good to maintain, think about, and re-evaluate from time to time. :beerwink:
2009-Wacken-2010-Wacken-2011-70K-Lollapalooza-HoleInTheSky-2012-70K-ColdWaves-2013-Lollapalooza-ColdWaves-2014-ProgNationAtSea-Pitchfork-RiotFest-ColdWaves-2015-RockLegendsCruise-CruiseToTheEdge-2016-ChicagoOpenAir-2017-70K!!
User

X-Thor

Rank

Lieutenant

Mexico City, Mexico

by X-Thor » Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:17 pm

Laura wrote:^^^ yes, it will be a great trip for both of us I think - right now we're leaning toward 4-5 days in New York City - my second favorite American city (next to Chicago :P )....so much to see & do there....especially art, music, & theater-wise. :D

Back to your bucket list...one of the nice things about it, is that it seems that everything is really quite "do-able," that is, things that you can actually accomplish given enough time & determination. And to me (and to be somewhat cliche :P ) it's not so much about "checking something off the list" (even though of course that's a good feeling), but the journey on the way there.

I hit a somewhat strange (albeit satisfying) spot psychologically around age 40 when I realized I'd accomplished most of the things (for example, in the areas of personal & family life, education, activities, career, travel, possessions, and so on), that I dreamed about when I was in my early 20s. And in a few cases, I exceeded beyond what I'd even dreamed about. So, I had a bit of a "now what?" feeling & I had to reinvent my "bucket list(s)"....I look at it now as a perpetual kind of thing that is good to maintain, think about, and re-evaluate from time to time. :beerwink:

That sounds like a great way to see your life! I might take a leaf off your book (is that how you say it?). :headbanger: :bangers:

--
User

Memnoch

Rank

Lieutenant-Commander

Mon May 03, 2010 10:03 pm

Hellsinki, Funland

by Memnoch » Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:18 am

The reason I'm necroing this thread is my preliminary planning for a summer vacation next year. I'm looking into if one of my bucket list trips could be doable: taking the Trans Siberian/Mongolian train to Beijing.
So far it seems totally doable; flights Helsinki-Moscow and Beijing-Helsinki are around 600 euros total, the train tickets (1st and 2nd class, with meals) around 1000 euros and visas (Russia, Mongolia, China) 200 euros. Add hotels and other expenses, so it'd total to something like 3000 euros minimum. Doable.
I've been thinking of doing the train ride with a few stopovers in places like Nizhni Novgorod, Perm, Yekaterinburg, Irkutsk and Ulan-Bator. Then maybe a week in China afterwards and a couple of days in Moscow before the train ride. So around three weeks total.
Obviously, I don't want to be doing this alone, so I need to find a friend who's willing to do that kind of a trip. A couple of friends of mine have expressed their interest, so I just might be able to cross this item off my bucket list; if not in 2014, then maybe in 2015.

Aah, yes, if the planning does move forward, I'm afraid I wouldn't be going to Metaldays.
Wishlist:
SABATON / ARKONA / STUCK MOJO / HEIDEVOLK / KILPI / SLAYER
FOLK METAL / THRASH METAL
User

Laura

Rank

Commander

cloud 9 chicago

by Laura » Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:25 am

^^^ That Trans-Siberian trip would be amazing!! One of my best friends & travelling companions (who I spent my senior year abroad with in Versailles 1982-83) & I started talking about doing it together *some day* way back then. Both of us had read about it and had seen the same documentary about it some years earlier before we met. Funny that when I saw her at our 30 year reunion this past June we talked about it again... how 30 years had passed and now maybe we should think about doing it when we're both retired (anywhere from 6-12 years from now) and our now still teenage kids are grown up and have moved on. We'll see. :P I've never known anyone who has actually done that trip. Ville - I hope you do so I can hear all about it!

Weird to read my last couple posts on this thread and how our own plans changed for this year. The Glacier National Park, Montana trip was pushed to summer 2014 (and is booked already) and we ended up going to California this summer instead (San Francisco, Muir Woods, Napa Valley, Yosemite, Sequoia, & King's Canyon National Parks). Very great trip and confirmed my thinking that we need to do as many family NP trips in our beautiful country before the kids move on to their own adult lives - college & beyond. It is something we all enjoy so much and there is so much to see. I already have the date on my calendar for next summer when I need to call Phantom Ranch (only accommodations at the bottom of the Grand Canyon) to book a year out for 2015. I've spoken to the reservations people and they said they book up within a few hours of when the dates are released. Some of our relatives have stayed there and they said it is just amazing. By staying there, one need not hurry to hike down in the canyon & back in one day, but rather take one's time. http://www.grandcanyonlodges.com/phantom-ranch-704.html

Ahhh - so many great things to see, do, and experience in this lifetime. I get overwhelmed sometimes thinking about it .....but then I just have to take a deep breath, realize that I'll never get to all of them, and say to myself & smile - but - :lol: - that's OK. I'm more than content with what I've been able to do thus far.
User

Speedy

Rank

Ensign

Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:51 am

Trondheim, Norway

by Speedy » Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:48 am

I did the Trans-Siberian alone last year from Vladivostok to Moscow, with a detour to Ulaanbaatar, over nearly five weeks. I first flew Trondheim-Oslo-Moscow-Vladivostok. Then train from Vladivostok to Khabarovsk, Birobidzhan, Chita (for day trip with minibus to Aginskoye), Ulan Ude (with overnight side trip with car/bus to Gremyachinsk on the eastern shore of Lake Baikal), Ulaanbaatar, car to Amarbayasgalant Khiid monastery and Darkhan, train from Darkhan to Irkutsk, minibus to Khushir on Olkhon Island in Lake Baikal, back to Irkutsk, Circumbaikal Railway to Listvyanka with diving in Lake Baikal next day, car back to Irkutsk, train to Krasnoyarsk, Novosibirsk, Omsk, Tobolsk, Yekaterinburg, Perm, Nizhniy Novgorod and Moscow. Finally flight Moscow-Stockholm-Trondheim.

I had a great time, with the landscape in the Lake Baikal Area being my favorite. I had bought the first two train tickets in advance, but found that the company I booked through took a quite high markup. The remaining tickets I bought from machines (in English) available at the stations in all major cities, except to/from Mongolia, which could only be bought from the international ticket counter. Keep in mind that all Russian long distance trains always run on Moscow time, not local time.
70k 2013 cabin 4008
70k 2014 cabin 2565
70k 2015 cabin 8687
70k 2016 cabin 7607
70k 2017 cabin 6667

70k 2018 M.I.A.
70k 2019 cabin ????
(Part) Norwegian Wishlist: -Audrey.Horne-/-Borknagar-/-Chontaraz-/-Chrome.Division-/-Circus.Maximus-/-Dimension.F3h-/-Divided.Multitude-/-Djerv-/-Einherjer-/-Evig.Natt-/-Glittertind-/-Gothminister-/-Highland.Glory-/-ICS.Vortex-/-Ihsahn-/-Jorn-/-Leprous-/-Lumsk-/-Memorized.Dreams-/-Midnattsol-/-Mortemia-/-Nergard-/-Pagan's.Mind-/-Savn-/-Svölk-/-Tellus.Requiem-/-Tristania-/-Viper.Solfa-/-Vredehammer-/-Vreid-/-Withem-

International Wishlist: -Abinchova-/-Accept-/-Amon.Amarth-/-Ancient.Bards-/-And.Then.She.Came-/-Arch.Enemy-/-Аркона-/-Avantasia-/-Battlelore-/-Beyond.the.Bridge-/-Blind.Guardian-/-Crimfall-/-Cripper-/-Dalriada-/-Dark.Sarah-/-Delain-/-Diabulus.in.Musica-/-Doro-/-Draconian-/-Dragonforce-/-Dream.Theater-/-Eisbrecher-/-Eluveitie-/-Elvenking-/-Ensiferum-/-Epica-/-Equilibrium-/-Evenoire-/-Ex.Libris-/-Fejd-/-Finsterforst-/-Fylgja-/-Gloryhammer-/-Грай-/-Grailknights-/-Grave.Digger-/-Haggard-/-Hammerfall-/-Heavatar-/-Heidevolk-/-Heldmaschine-/-Helloween-/-Ignea-/-Izegrim-/-Jaded.Star-/-Калевала-/-Kivimetsän.Druidi-/-Lacuna.Coil-/-Lingua.Mortis.Orchestra-/-Magistina.Saga-/-MaYaN-/-Megaherz-/-Moonsorrow-/-Moonspell-/-Månegarm-/-Ne.Obliviscaris-/-Невидь-/-Nightmare-/-Nightwish-/-Nine.Treasures-/-November-7-/-Oomph!-/-Orden.Ogan-/-Orphaned.Land-/-Powerwolf-/-Queensrÿche-/-Rage-/-Ragnaröek-/-Raubtier-/-Running.Wild-/-Saltatio.Mortis-/-Schwarzer.Engel-/-Serenity-/-Skálmöld-/-Sleeping.Romance-/-Смута-/-Stahlmann-/-Subway.to.Sally-/-Svartsot-/-Symphony.X-/-Tarja-/-Tengger.Cavalry-/-The.Privateer-/-Turisas-/-Twilight.Force-/-Týr-/-U.D.O.-/-Van.Canto-/-Vanden.Plas-/-Vika-/-Visions.of.Atlantis-/-Vogelfrey-/-Volbeat-/-VUUR-/-White.Shadow-/-Winterstorm-/-Wintersun-/-Within.Temptation-/-Xandria-
User

Memnoch

Rank

Lieutenant-Commander

Mon May 03, 2010 10:03 pm

Hellsinki, Funland

by Memnoch » Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:05 pm

^Awesome! And I know now who to bug with questions if/when I start seriously planning my trip. :lol:
Wishlist:
SABATON / ARKONA / STUCK MOJO / HEIDEVOLK / KILPI / SLAYER
FOLK METAL / THRASH METAL
no avatar
User

gnoff_the_creep

Rank

Lieutenant

Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:55 pm

Sweden

by gnoff_the_creep » Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:14 am

Now done my epic Australia trip, it was awesome
PINK

http://twitter.com/rockgnoff/

http://rockgnoff.blogspot.se/
User

Laura

Rank

Commander

cloud 9 chicago

by Laura » Sun Nov 16, 2014 7:51 pm

Bucket lists, bucket lists, we need more bucket lists!
:P
spill it, people....what's on yours?
:viking:
User

Laura

Rank

Commander

cloud 9 chicago

by Laura » Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:43 pm

Hmmmm.....so no new takers on the bucket list thread, eh? :P

I've been giving this topic a great deal of thought lately (*warning: serious cat has entered the room*) ;)

So, what is a bucket list?
According to the Merriam-Webster dictionary: a list of things that one has not done before but wants to do before dying.....

Woah. That's deep....it really is when you think about it long enough, ya know?

So, when I reflect back on the various lists (and goals) I've made over the years...I am now particularly interested in the answers to questions like....
- why did I feel that this or that particular goal (i.e. bucket list item) was important to achieve?
- when I achieved it, did the result live up to the expectation? was it satisfying? did I feel any different? did it spark new goals & ideas? was it worth the effort?

Lately, I've been thinking that the more I (or one in general) focuses on future goals or things that will happen in the future generally, the less I focus on & appreciate what is happening at this moment. This idea of living a la "be here now" is nothing new of course, but I've been seeing & feeling its importance more & more as time goes on.

I suppose I have the luxury of being in a somewhat "settled place" for some time now, since many of my earlier life goals including educational, travel, personal aspirations, and so on have been achieved. I think that going forward, I hope to be less occupied with the future...but focusing on enjoying the present moment as best I can.

User

Jotunheimr

Rank

Chief Petty Officer

Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:54 pm

Reno, Nevada

by Jotunheimr » Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:54 pm

Giving this a try because why not.

So far my goals (short and long term) include:

Getting on this boat (will soon be crossed off)
Finishing my bachelor's degree
Going on to graduate school (depends on how I feel after the completion of my bachelors)
Make significant contributions to science/computing/education/security (depends on whether or not I complete graduate school)
Get married/settled after I'm completely done with school
Visit Finland, Norway, Iceland, Germany
Go to Wacken at least once ^
Publish/release at least one album with my band (to determine if it's something I want to continue with)
Repay all my debts/student loans as quickly as possible
2015: 6511
2016: 7455

Arkona-/-BlindGuardian-/-Borknagar-/-DimmuBorgir-/-Fejd-/-Finntroll-/-Finsterforst-/-Firewind-/-Haggard-/-HarakiriForTheSky-/-Kampfar-/-Moonsorrow-/-Nightwish-/-Primordial-/-RiotV-/-Savatage-/-Skalmold-/-Sodom-/-Solstafir-/-Svartsot-/-Testament-/-Thyrfing-/-ToxicHolocaust-/-Wintersun-/-YngwieJMalmsteen
Previous