Post Reply 223 posts
George RR Martin fans!!!
    Daenerys
    Midshipman

George RR Martin fans!!!

by Daenerys » Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:48 am

Voyager-Vuur-GrandMagus-Myrath-Borknagar-NovembersDoom-Aeternam-Havok-TheHaloEffect-Moonspell-SepticFlesh-Sigh-BarrenEarth-Iotunn-ScarSymmetry-Nekrogoblikon
    Ravenlord
    Lieutenant-Commander

Re: George RR Martin fans!!!

by Ravenlord » Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:11 am

AWESOME!!!

1914-/-Alkaloid-/-Annihilator-/-Be'lakor-/-Cage-/-Civil War-/-Deus mortem-/-Eternity's End-/-Falkenbach-/-Fejd-/-Ghoul-/-Glyph-/-Grai-/-Grimner-/-Hellripper-/-Helloween-/-Igorrr-/-Iron Griffin-/-Jack Starr's Burning Starr-/-Kanonenfieber-/-Krux-/-Lör-/-Madder mortem-/-Mephorash-/-Metalian-/-Narzissus-/-Nocturnal Rites-/-Old Season-/-Paladin-/-Qantice-/-Riot V-/-Riot City-/-Sulphur Aeon-/-Stormkeep-/-Tad morose-/-Tankard-/-Tower-/-Ungfell-/-Vhaldemar-/-Walg-/-XIV Dark Centuries-/-Yoth iria
  • KevinP
    Commander

by KevinP » Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:06 am

Had no idea he was and even a check of the site, I've never read any of his books. Wish I had the patience to read more as I used to enjoy it many many moons ago. :cry:
    WISHLIST

BOLT THROWER / MADDER MORTEM / SEAR BLISS / AEON / THE AMENTA / AUTOPSY / MDB / THE 11th HOUR / HAIL OF BULLETS / DORDEDUH / TRIPTYKON / NE OBLIVISCARIS / PORTAL

The Sultan of Stroopwafels
    The Viceroy of Vegemite
    Loather of Power Metal
    viathyn
    Commander

by viathyn » Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:00 pm

AHHHHHHHHHHHH HOLY SHIT FINALLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :headbanger:
    2011: Cabin #5549
    2012: Cabin #2581
    2013: Cabin #2077
    2014: Cabin #2583
    2015: Cabin #3242

Please check out my band
    http://www.facebook.com/VIATHYN

last_candle
    Lieutenant-Commander

by last_candle » Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:31 pm

what an exceptional homepage! ;)

I know quite a few who really dig "a song of fire and ice"...but so far I haven't touched any of those books...
    wishlist '25:
    Axxis - Doro - Edguy - Frozen Crown - Gatekeeper - Satan - Seven Sisters - Shadowpath - Silex - Skyclad - Steel Attack - Viathyn - Voyager - Wuthering Heights - 4th Dimension
    viathyn
    Commander

by viathyn » Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:27 pm

Read them. Now.

Please check out my band

last_candle
    Lieutenant-Commander

by last_candle » Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:39 pm

viathyn wrote:Read them. Now.

DONE!
    wishlist '25:
    Axxis - Doro - Edguy - Frozen Crown - Gatekeeper - Satan - Seven Sisters - Shadowpath - Silex - Skyclad - Steel Attack - Viathyn - Voyager - Wuthering Heights - 4th Dimension
    cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:39 pm

Speaking of which, who else is DYING for Game of Thrones to start??!!???

April 17th - not long now!
    Upcoming Gigs:
    -/-Scar-Symmetry-/-Wind-Rose-/-Unleash-The-Archers-/-Amaranthe
    2025 Wishlist
    Ad-Infinitum-/-Aephanemer-/-All-For-Metal-/-Alterium-/-Ancient-Bards-/-Atlas-Pain-/-Avantasia-/-Battlelore-/Beast-In-Black-/-Believer-/-Beyond-The-Black-/-Brothers-of-Metal-/-Catalyst-Crime-/-Civil-War-/-Circus-Maximus-/-Claymorean-/-Cobra-Spell-/-Dark-Moor-/-Dark-Sarah-/-Dartagnan-/-Diabulus-In-Musica-/-Edguy-/-Ex-Libris-/-Exit-Eden-/-Fellowship-/-Follow-The-Cipher-/-Frozen-Crown-/-Galderia-/-Hammer-King-/-Heavatar-/-Ignea-/-Imperial-Age-/-In-This-Moment-/-Jaldaboath-/-Kaledon-/-Labyrinth-/-Living-Sacrifice-/-Metalite-/-Moonlight-Haze-/-Neopera-/-Nestor-/-Nocturna-/-Orden-Ogan-/-Pathfinder-/-Phantom-Elite-/-Poisonblack-/-Power-Paladin-/-Powerwolf-/-The-Privateer-/-Rexoria-/-Running-Wild-/-She-Wolf-/-Silver-Bullet-/-Sleeping-Romance-/-Sojourner-/-Tarot-/-Ten-/-Thaurorod-/-The-Big-Deal-/-The-Dark-Element-/-Trick-or-Treat-/-Trillium-/-Unisonic-/-Valhalore-/-Vanishing-Point-/-Volturian-/-Walk-In-Darkness-/-Within-Temptation
    Marietje66
    Petty Officer

by Marietje66 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:44 pm

Well, I am so lazy that I read the books in Dutch, which is just a bit easier than in English. So that probably means I will have to wait considerably longer than you lot. However I am happy to hear he has been working on it (and not changed the worldly plain for the heavenly in the middle of a serie, like Robert Jordan...)
    Everybody is unique, except for me.
    Daenerys
    Midshipman

by Daenerys » Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:35 pm

cowboy71 wrote:Speaking of which, who else is DYING for Game of Thrones to start??!!???

Omg I know!!!! I can't wait to see Peter Dinklage as Tyrion, I think he's going to be great! :D

last_candle wrote:I know quite a few who really dig "a song of fire and ice"...but so far I haven't touched any of those books...

I also command you to begin reading his series now ;) And how come Marlo hasn't responded to this thread yet??
    Voyager-Vuur-GrandMagus-Myrath-Borknagar-NovembersDoom-Aeternam-Havok-TheHaloEffect-Moonspell-SepticFlesh-Sigh-BarrenEarth-Iotunn-ScarSymmetry-Nekrogoblikon
    last_candle
    Lieutenant-Commander

by last_candle » Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:56 pm

Daenerys wrote:
    last_candle wrote:I know quite a few who really dig "a song of fire and ice"...but so far I haven't touched any of those books...

I also command you to begin reading his series now ;)

haven't read a book in a year - shame on me, I know
    I'm still in the middle of a darn good one...but I even didn't finish that one... :?
    wishlist '25:
    Ravenlord
    Lieutenant-Commander

by Ravenlord » Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:39 pm

Daenerys wrote:
    cowboy71 wrote:Speaking of which, who else is DYING for Game of Thrones to start??!!???

Omg I know!!!! I can't wait to see Peter Dinklage as Tyrion, I think he's going to be great! :D

I also command you to begin reading his series now ;) And how come Marlo hasn't responded to this thread yet??

I agree, I think Peter Dinklage is the perfect person for the role ( and not just because he's a little person :oops: he really is a great actor!)

I tend to be a pretty slow reader so I can't see myself re-reading all 3500 (give or take) pages by the time this comes out. Plus I have a ton of unread books I need to get through.

That being said, I will be picking this book up the first day and dropping whatever I'm currently reading at the time to jump straight into it.

1914-/-Alkaloid-/-Annihilator-/-Be'lakor-/-Cage-/-Civil War-/-Deus mortem-/-Eternity's End-/-Falkenbach-/-Fejd-/-Ghoul-/-Glyph-/-Grai-/-Grimner-/-Hellripper-/-Helloween-/-Igorrr-/-Iron Griffin-/-Jack Starr's Burning Starr-/-Kanonenfieber-/-Krux-/-Lör-/-Madder mortem-/-Mephorash-/-Metalian-/-Narzissus-/-Nocturnal Rites-/-Old Season-/-Paladin-/-Qantice-/-Riot V-/-Riot City-/-Sulphur Aeon-/-Stormkeep-/-Tad morose-/-Tankard-/-Tower-/-Ungfell-/-Vhaldemar-/-Walg-/-XIV Dark Centuries-/-Yoth iria
  • vikingbitch
    Lieutenant-Commander

by vikingbitch » Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:42 pm

YESSSS FINALLY!

He's been postponing this one for AGES now! Might see if I can find time to re read them before the new one comes out, I gave Game of Thrones to a friend to read like 3 months ago (still not done - how the fuck long does it take to read a book) and Storm of Swords I gave to another friend to borrow. Time to start harassing/collecting.

I can't wait!! I think HBO is going to do a killer job with it :headbanger:
    SURVIVOR: 70K2011, 70K2012, BTH2012, 70K2013 & 70K2014. NEXT UP: 70K2015
    Ktulured55
    Ensign

by Ktulured55 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:57 pm

Don't know about these books but love fantasy.

Anyone ever read THE SWORD OF TRUTH ??? They are my favorite all time books.

Chimaira/Meshuggah/Sybreed/TheAgonist/HoodedMenace/SwallowtheSun/MyDyingBride/HumanAbstract/HeavenShallBurn/Whitechapel/Goatwhore/Mnemic/CradleofFilth/ArchEnemy/CannibalCorpse/AftertheBurial/Witchery/Opeth/Katatonia/Chthonic/Behemoth/InFlames
  • vikingbitch
    Lieutenant-Commander

by vikingbitch » Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:58 pm

Daenerys wrote: And how come Marlo hasn't responded to this thread yet??

:lol: :D Just saw this - I was in Edmonton for Kataklysm and phone died on me i.e. no forum access on the long trek home.

I can't wait to see what happens to Daenerys and Arya in the next book and for the love of Odin I hope he kills off Sansa :lol:
    Daenerys
    Midshipman

by Daenerys » Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:29 pm

vikingbitch wrote:
    Daenerys wrote: And how come Marlo hasn't responded to this thread yet??

:lol: :D Just saw this - I was in Edmonton for Kataklysm and phone died on me i.e. no forum access on the long trek home.

I can't wait to see what happens to Daenerys and Arya in the next book and for the love of Odin I hope he kills off Sansa :lol:

:lol: I was waiting for you, figured you and Jake would be the two people most likely to be as excited as myself :cheers:

Ktulured55 wrote:Don't know about these books but love fantasy.

Anyone ever read THE SWORD OF TRUTH ??? They are my favorite all time books.

Goodkind's series is good, but I was disappointed with the way he ended it, I felt it was kind of lame. And my God, the TV series was just terrible :? If you like Goodkind you should DEFINITELY check out Martin, you'll love his books :D
    cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:44 pm

Having never read Goodkind's books, I actually quite liked Season One of Legend of The Seeker - season two was not too good though, and I was not overly disappointed (and not at all surprised) that it got cancelled.

My wife having read the books though, was quite disappointed in it - not at all what she expected/hoped for.

She has high hopes for Game of Thrones though - her daughter is named after one of the characters, after all :P
    Upcoming Gigs:
    2025 Wishlist
    Ad-Infinitum-/-Aephanemer-/-All-For-Metal-/-Alterium-/-Ancient-Bards-/-Atlas-Pain-/-Avantasia-/-Battlelore-/Beast-In-Black-/-Believer-/-Beyond-The-Black-/-Brothers-of-Metal-/-Catalyst-Crime-/-Civil-War-/-Circus-Maximus-/-Claymorean-/-Cobra-Spell-/-Dark-Moor-/-Dark-Sarah-/-Dartagnan-/-Diabulus-In-Musica-/-Edguy-/-Ex-Libris-/-Exit-Eden-/-Fellowship-/-Follow-The-Cipher-/-Frozen-Crown-/-Galderia-/-Hammer-King-/-Heavatar-/-Ignea-/-Imperial-Age-/-In-This-Moment-/-Jaldaboath-/-Kaledon-/-Labyrinth-/-Living-Sacrifice-/-Metalite-/-Moonlight-Haze-/-Neopera-/-Nestor-/-Nocturna-/-Orden-Ogan-/-Pathfinder-/-Phantom-Elite-/-Poisonblack-/-Power-Paladin-/-Powerwolf-/-The-Privateer-/-Rexoria-/-Running-Wild-/-She-Wolf-/-Silver-Bullet-/-Sleeping-Romance-/-Sojourner-/-Tarot-/-Ten-/-Thaurorod-/-The-Big-Deal-/-The-Dark-Element-/-Trick-or-Treat-/-Trillium-/-Unisonic-/-Valhalore-/-Vanishing-Point-/-Volturian-/-Walk-In-Darkness-/-Within-Temptation
    viathyn
    Commander

by viathyn » Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:57 pm

Awesome new game of thrones trailer.. featuring:

The wall!
    The others!
    Tyrion!
    Jamie!
    The Targaryens!
    (Almost) some tatas!
    Rob and Jon!

http://insidetv.ew.com/2011/03/03/game- ... w-trailer/

Please check out my band

• sageoftruth
    Lieutenant

by sageoftruth » Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:38 pm

I am for sure. I've had trouble finding replacement books until then. With some inspiration from Blind Guardian, I took a dive into the Dragonlance series, but it's just not the same. Now, forced to take reccomendations from people at work, I'm stuck between a book about a Korean fashionista and a book that reminds me every two paragraphs about how my people screwed over the people of South and Central America. I think this explains why I've started going through manga like a giant paper shredder.
    Daenerys
    Midshipman

by Daenerys » Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:18 am

cowboy71 wrote:She has high hopes for Game of Thrones though - her daughter is named after one of the characters, after all :P

Awww, which character is she named after? I sat with your lovely wife at lunch on the ship the second day; I wish I had known she was a Martin fan, we would have had more to talk about! :P

viathyn wrote:Awesome new game of thrones trailer.. featuring:

The wall!
    The others!
    Tyrion!
    Jamie!
    The Targaryens!
    (Almost) some tatas!
    Rob and Jon!

http://insidetv.ew.com/2011/03/03/game- ... w-trailer/

:lol: :lol: Almost some tatas indeed. So glad HBO picked this up, pretty sure theyre gonna keep it as NSFW as the books :D Thanks for the awesome trailer Jake!
    viathyn
    Commander

by viathyn » Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:55 am

You're welcome! I found it through George's blog haha. The more and more I watch these trailers, the more I realize what a good job they did casting everyone. The dude playing littlefinger is perfect.

Please check out my band

last_candle
    Lieutenant-Commander

by last_candle » Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:06 pm

Ravenlord wrote:I tend to be a pretty slow reader so I can't see myself re-reading all 3500 (give or take) pages by the time this comes out. Plus I have a ton of unread books I need to get through.

I'm a slow reader, too
    my first love and her mother were reading machines
    they didn't even have to actually read...their eyes just wandered across the page et voilà!
    what takes me weeks and weeks to read they finished taking one bath :shock:
    wishlist '25:
    ShoreSlayer
    Captain

by ShoreSlayer » Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:10 pm

last_candle wrote:
    Ravenlord wrote:I tend to be a pretty slow reader so I can't see myself re-reading all 3500 (give or take) pages by the time this comes out. Plus I have a ton of unread books I need to get through.

I'm a slow reader, too
    my first love and her mother were reading machines
    they didn't even have to actually read...their eyes just wandered across the page et voilà!
    what takes me weeks and weeks to read they finished taking one bath :shock:

I'm the same way bro.

I 'CAN' read fast when I need to and skim for the required info and such but when reading creative masterpieces, I feel compelled to absorb every word and really get the author's intended picture and meaning clear in my mind. That and I just don't sit still long enough these days to read for hours on end like I once did. Too much damn technology in this here batcave :?
    So far at least, 2011, 2012 & 2015 were enough for me
    :shred:Book 'em ANDO!! :headbanger:

:boobs: 2018/2019 Hockeyagi Champion :boobs:
    last_candle
    Lieutenant-Commander

by last_candle » Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:12 pm

I 'CAN' read fast when I need to and skim for the required info and such but when reading creative masterpieces, I feel compelled to absorb every word and really get the author's intended picture and meaning clear in my mind.

exactly - I could read faster
    but who you can read >100pages an hour will remain a mystery
    wishlist '25:
    Ravenlord
    Lieutenant-Commander

by Ravenlord » Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:43 pm

last_candle wrote:I 'CAN' read fast when I need to and skim for the required info and such but when reading creative masterpieces, I feel compelled to absorb every word and really get the author's intended picture and meaning clear in my mind.

exactly - I could read faster
    but who you can read >100pages an hour will remain a mystery

Yeah, I read no more than 40-50 pages an hour. If I try force myself to go faster I just end up missing bits and pieces.

cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:48 pm

Daenerys wrote:
    cowboy71 wrote:She has high hopes for Game of Thrones though - her daughter is named after one of the characters, after all :P

Awww, which character is she named after? I sat with your lovely wife at lunch on the ship the second day; I wish I had known she was a Martin fan, we would have had more to talk about! :P

Arya :)

And what is even trippier - the new book is scheduled to come out on my wife's birthday :P
    Upcoming Gigs:
    2025 Wishlist
    tmcasper
    Chief Petty Officer

by tmcasper » Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:55 pm

I have been waiting for this forever!!! but being the eternal pessimist I am...I figure I'll read it in 2 days...and then wait another 12 years for the next one!! :D Lookin forward big-time to the series on HBO too :headbanger:
    2011: Deck 5 Cabin 5087
    2012: Deck 8 Cabin 8072
    Daenerys
    Midshipman

by Daenerys » Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:11 am

WHOOOO! This is a special clip of the first 15 minutes of the first episode :D

http://www.hbo.com/#/game-of-thrones/ab ... IAXbkXOA==

Great job HBO, looks fucking brutal! :viking:
  • vikingbitch
    Lieutenant-Commander

by vikingbitch » Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:38 pm

Daenerys wrote:WHOOOO! This is a special clip of the first 15 minutes of the first episode :D

AAAAHHHHCK! I can't wait for this!!

I'm actually planning to have a few friends that read the books come over to watch the premiere on the 17th. I love HBO. Boardwalk Empire, True Blood - everything they do just comes out so well. Best network to have taken this by faaaar.

Anyone know how many episodes we can expect for the first season?
    ShoreSlayer
    Captain

by ShoreSlayer » Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:46 pm

vikingbitch wrote:
    Daenerys wrote:WHOOOO! This is a special clip of the first 15 minutes of the first episode :D

AAAAHHHHCK! I can't wait for this!!

I'm actually planning to have a few friends that read the books come over to watch the premiere on the 17th. I love HBO. Boardwalk Empire, True Blood - everything they do just comes out so well. Best network to have taken this by faaaar.

Anyone know how many episodes we can expect for the first season?

I don't have HBO so I tend to rent stuff like this once it comes out on DVD but, isn't HBO Canada a few months or more behind HBO? Will we get this the same date as the US? I couldn't even see the sneak peek that Daenerys linked as it forced me to go to the Canadian site :?

But I agree. So many great series coming out of HBO. Not sure if all of these originated there but I've very much enjoyed Sons of Anarchy, Breaking Bad, Dexter, Generation Kill and Weeds. Am looking forward to eventually picking up this one, Nurse Jackie, Unites States of Tara (sp?) and Boardwalk Empire on DVD.

• vikingbitch
    Lieutenant-Commander

by vikingbitch » Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:17 pm

ShoreSlayer wrote:I don't have HBO so I tend to rent stuff like this once it comes out on DVD but, isn't HBO Canada a few months or more behind HBO? Will we get this the same date as the US? I couldn't even see the sneak peek that Daenerys linked as it forced me to go to the Canadian site :?

But I agree. So many great series coming out of HBO. Not sure if all of these originated there but I've very much enjoyed Sons of Anarchy, Breaking Bad, Dexter, Generation Kill and Weeds. Am looking forward to eventually picking up this one, Nurse Jackie, Unites States of Tara (sp?) and Boardwalk Empire on DVD.

Yeah HBO comes out at the same time here. I think Breaking Bad started with AMC and Dexter was originally with Showtime (I LOVE Dexter). Nurse Jackie and United States of Tara I watched all of the episodes of when I had my broken ankle, Nurse Jackie is good but weird although character development is fantastic. United States of Tara may be one of the most amazing tv shows (that's not one of my beloved sci fi ones like Battlestar, Firefly, Buffy etc) and of all the ones you listed I would recommend it above any of the others. Boardwalk Empire was just bad ass. Flat out. I forgot how much tv I had watched when my ankle was fracked lol.
    Ravenlord
    Lieutenant-Commander

by Ravenlord » Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:08 pm

vikingbitch wrote:
    ShoreSlayer wrote:I don't have HBO so I tend to rent stuff like this once it comes out on DVD but, isn't HBO Canada a few months or more behind HBO? Will we get this the same date as the US? I couldn't even see the sneak peek that Daenerys linked as it forced me to go to the Canadian site :?

Yeah HBO comes out at the same time here. I think Breaking Bad started with AMC and Dexter was originally with Showtime (I LOVE Dexter). Nurse Jackie and United States of Tara I watched all of the episodes of when I had my broken ankle, Nurse Jackie is good but weird although character development is fantastic. United States of Tara may be one of the most amazing tv shows (that's not one of my beloved sci fi ones like Battlestar, Firefly, Buffy etc) and of all the ones you listed I would recommend it above any of the others. Boardwalk Empire was just bad ass. Flat out. I forgot how much tv I had watched when my ankle was fracked lol.

Yey! Firelfy, but none of the others :lol: ...well maybe dexter.

500 posts beoches!

EveryFairyDies
    Oiler

by EveryFairyDies » Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:28 pm

As awesome as this news is, I'm still not gonna be holding my breath! I'm sure if he's not ready by the publishing date, he'll weasle his way out of it. He has before. Bastard. JUST FINISH THE DAMN SERIES ALREADY!!! I wanna know what happens! Though I do find "Ice & Fire" to be a rather depressing series. How many more characters is he intending to kill off?! And the wolves, man. I cried when he killed Lady, and the other wolf... can't remember the name of the wolf or the damn character... the one where they cut of its head and sewed it onto the body of the kid. Dark, man.

I don't mind the Sword of Truth series, I think he kinda lost the plot, but I find some of the books a really interesting study in human nature. And, let's face it, how fuckin' true are those Wizards' Rules? And when I was in high school, being teased for my weight and oddities, I would simply put on my "Confessor's Face" until they got bored and left me alone. I still use it when I'm in a situation where I'm upset but don't/can't/won't show it.

My two favorites series are "The Dead Gate Cycle" by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman, and "The Night Watch" series by Sergei Lukyanenko (I think that's how you spell it). I'm always reading. If I don't have a book to read, I go freakin' mental. It's not pretty.

I'll have to wait for the HBO series to become available for download, as all those wonderful series are either not on Australian TV, or not on the cable channels I subscribe to. Though Legend of the Seeker was, which surprised me. I didn't mind it. I love the guy who played Zedd - he was in a movie called "Hercules Returns", made in the 80's here in Oz, about a guy who re-opens an old cinema and their first movie is an old 60's muscle-man movie called "Hercules" and it's in Italian, so they overdub it, making a whole new story. It's freaking HILARIOUS! Download it, it's great. It's full of horrible, nasal, whiney, god-awful bogan Australian accents.
    VAN CANTO; Tarja; Within Temptation; Sabaton; Manowar; Apocalyptica; Dethklok; Lacuna Coil; Stream of Passion; Krypteria; Spinal Tap; Rammstein for 70,000 Tons 2013!
    http://www.facebook.com/themoshpit100.3 for heavy metal in Brisbane!
    Daenerys
    Midshipman

by Daenerys » Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:25 pm

EveryFairyDies wrote:As awesome as this news is, I'm still not gonna be holding my breath! I'm sure if he's not ready by the publishing date, he'll weasle his way out of it. He has before. Bastard. JUST FINISH THE DAMN SERIES ALREADY!!!

:lol: :lol: Relax, it's actually going to be published in July, the HBO cast and crew even have the first 600 pages of it. He also took his time with the TV series becauseeee:

http://omg.yahoo.com/news/game-of-thron ... ding/60250

"Hence, Martin's comment about Lost. The author said he's sticking with his unhurried pace because he doesn't want to disappoint his fans like he was disappointed by the ending of the ABC series. As he told The New Yorker, "We watched it every week trying to figure it out... and then I felt so cheated when we got to the conclusion. I want to give them something terrific. What if I f--- it up at the end? What if I do a Lost? Then they'll come after me with pitchforks and torches." (Elsewhere in the world, Lost co-creator Damon Lindelof wasn't too happy to have an unsatisfying ending equated with pulling a Lost — and made it known on his Twitter account.)" :lol: :lol:

And as frustrating as it is, I'd rather Martin take his time, lest the series end up being a rushed, total mess just to please his rabid, foaming-at-the-mouth fans. With so many characters and as much as he develops them, it would probably end up a TOTAL cluster if he didn't take his time.
    tmcasper
    Chief Petty Officer

by tmcasper » Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:06 pm

This series is gonna be so fuckin great!!! I've been following along now with this forever and I think HBO will do a ridiculously good job! Great books...great series...I am pumped :headbanger: :cheers:
    2011: Deck 5 Cabin 5087
    2012: Deck 8 Cabin 8072
    EveryFairyDies
    Oiler

by EveryFairyDies » Sat Apr 09, 2011 12:36 am

Daenerys wrote:And as frustrating as it is, I'd rather Martin take his time, lest the series end up being a rushed, total mess just to please his rabid, foaming-at-the-mouth fans. With so many characters and as much as he develops them, it would probably end up a TOTAL cluster if he didn't take his time.

Yeah, I know he needs to take his time, it's an epic story. I'm just impatient ~lol~. I never got into Lost, but I'd heard lots of complaining about it, espeically the ending. No doubt Martin takes a lot of time when he sits down at his computer and thinks, "Ok, where the hell was I going with this again?! Wait, what was I gonna do with this character? Eh, I can't remember, I'll just kill 'em off." :D
    VAN CANTO; Tarja; Within Temptation; Sabaton; Manowar; Apocalyptica; Dethklok; Lacuna Coil; Stream of Passion; Krypteria; Spinal Tap; Rammstein for 70,000 Tons 2013!
    http://www.facebook.com/themoshpit100.3 for heavy metal in Brisbane!
    ShoreSlayer
    Captain

by ShoreSlayer » Sat Apr 09, 2011 2:31 am

EveryFairyDies wrote:No doubt Martin takes a lot of time when he sits down at his computer and thinks, "Ok, where the hell was I going with this again?! Wait, what was I gonna do with this character? Eh, I can't remember, I'll just kill 'em off." :D

Clearly you're disappointed at how frequently Martin has taken this path with his characters and you've likely already considered this but I'll just throw it out there for your consideration. If the guy wasn't a great writer and didn't manage to get you so emotionally attached to the characters, you wouldn't give a shit that he lets/makes them die from time to time. Surely a sign of a great writer and one that's not afraid to disappoint fans by keeping with what he feels needs to happen story-wise. Folks die in real life all the time and should, especially, in the kinds of worlds being written about in this case. Conversely, in many books/series that I've read, I'm often annoyed at how all the undeveloped minions tend to be dropping like flies all around the main characters while they continually escape unscathed. Just different approaches I guess. ;)

Daenerys
    Midshipman

by Daenerys » Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:26 am

EveryFairyDies wrote:Yeah, I know he needs to take his time, it's an epic story. I'm just impatient ~lol~. I never got into Lost, but I'd heard lots of complaining about it, espeically the ending. No doubt Martin takes a lot of time when he sits down at his computer and thinks, "Ok, where the hell was I going with this again?! Wait, what was I gonna do with this character? Eh, I can't remember, I'll just kill 'em off." :D

:lol: :lol: I'm just realllllyyyy hoping he didn't actually kill off Brienne at the end of Feast, she's one of my faves :cry: Too bad with the way hes splitting Westeros between the books I'll probably have to wait until the book AFTER Dance to find out if he did or not :?
  • vikingbitch
    Lieutenant-Commander

by vikingbitch » Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:34 am

EveryFairyDies wrote: How many more characters is he intending to kill off?! And the wolves, man. I cried when he killed Lady, and the other wolf... can't remember the name of the wolf or the damn character... the one where they cut of its head and sewed it onto the body of the kid. Dark, man.

That was Rob who I had the most hope for that they killed his wolf and sewed the head to his body. Its not as much just needlessly killing characters, he shows each side and motivation to each of the characters. There is no cliche "bad" or "good" characters in the books. The thing that I find the most fascinating is how he subtly (or not so subtly) shows you their flaws and how they are their complete downfall in the race for the crown. And considering there are times in the book where you will have like 7 major contenders for the crown, you have to kill a few of them off :lol: I do miss Brienne though, she was awesome!!

Unfortunately I see Sansa becoming a MAJOR player in the next book. What I would GIVE to see that idiotic bitch get killed off in the first paragraph. If Martin does this he can take as bloody long with the books as he damn well likes :D
  • vikingbitch
    Lieutenant-Commander

by vikingbitch » Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:35 am

Daenerys wrote: :lol: :lol: I'm just realllllyyyy hoping he didn't actually kill off Brienne at the end of Feast, she's one of my faves :cry: Too bad with the way hes splitting Westeros between the books I'll probably have to wait until the book AFTER Dance to find out if he did or not :?

:lol: I love how much we are on the same wave length for this stuff lol.
  • Post Reply 223 posts