Post Reply 61 posts
Words of wisdom to live by
    KDibildeaux
    Captain

Re: Words of wisdom to live by

by KDibildeaux » Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:33 pm

SCARH3AD wrote:HERE´S SOME WORDS OF WISDOM FROM MR. KEITH RICHARDS:

"I'm extremely careful. I've never turned blue in someone else's bathroom. I consider that the height of bad manners. I've had so many people do it to me and it's not really on, as far as drug etiquette goes, to turn blue in someone else's john."

That sounds like very sound and polite advise to me
    La sabiduría me persigue................pero yo soy más rápida
    Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:38 pm

A friend of mine shared this quote on fb tonight - just love it and it reminded me how much my girls & I love the author Roald Dahl since they were very young. (Especially Matilda and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory)

Above all, watch with glittering eyes the whole world around you because the greatest secrets are always hidden in the most unlikely places. Those who don't believe in magic will never find it. - Roald Dahl

Also saw this quote on the wall while on a recent visit to Chicago's Museum of Science & Industry. Love this one too!

Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known. - Carl Sagan

Oh - and here's a third from Wes Moore http://theotherwesmoore.com/ - he spoke for an hour to a large group of students a few weeks ago including our daughter's 8th grade class. I was one of the chaperones on the field trip and am so glad I got to see him speak...very inspiring. The whole talk (which was very much geared toward his teenage audience) was great - but this one very simple & brief line he said toward the end to the kids was so powerful.

Make it matter that you were here. (as in having lived) - Wes Moore
    2009-Wacken-2010-Wacken-2011-70K-Lollapalooza-HoleInTheSky-2012-70K-ColdWaves-2013-Lollapalooza-ColdWaves-2014-ProgNationAtSea-Pitchfork-RiotFest-ColdWaves-2015-RockLegendsCruise-CruiseToTheEdge-2016-ChicagoOpenAir-2017-70K!!
    Malaka
    Lieutenant

by Malaka » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:32 am

"Poor planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part."
    Daenerys
    Midshipman

by Daenerys » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:53 am

SlaytanicE21 wrote:"Poor planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part."

This is a favorite of ours in the ER. Especially for all the girls who come to the ER for pregnancy tests :roll:
    I want what we've never had!

Hypocrisy-Ihsahn-Primordial-GrandMagus-Powerwolf-Myrath-Hell-Opeth-Borknagar-Leprous-SteelPanther-Voyager
    Bloodycanadian
    Petty Officer

by Bloodycanadian » Wed May 01, 2013 5:02 pm

Condoms prevent the spread of Mini-vans.
    Now let's go get banjaxxed.
  • sageoftruth
    Lieutenant

by sageoftruth » Thu May 02, 2013 8:44 am

"The best argument against Democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter."
    - Winston Churchill.
    I just like this one because it's funny (and it inspires me to try not to be the average voter).

For more Churchill:
    Uptight Woman: "You're drunk!"
    Churchill: "Yes. But when I get home, I'll be sober... And you'll still be ugly."
    Stained Class
    Commander

by Stained Class » Thu May 02, 2013 9:00 am

Popular old saying:
    Women...can't live with em...

Churchill was a dick! :lol:
    The infamous LOLLIPOP

70K 2011, 70K 2012, BTH 2012, 70K 2013, 70K 2014, 70K 2015, 70K 2016, 70K 2017

I'm in a band
    www.facebook.com/Apprenticemetal
    X-Thor
    Lieutenant

by X-Thor » Thu May 02, 2013 4:41 pm

sageoftruth wrote:"The best argument against Democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter."
    - Winston Churchill.
    I just like this one because it's funny (and it inspires me to try not to be the average voter).

For more Churchill:
    Churchill: "Yes. But when I get home, I'll be sober... And you'll still be ugly."

I believe he also said democracy was the worst political system, except for all the others. I like that. :lol:
    70K 2013 SURVIVOR (Cabin 2120)
    70K 2014 SURVIVOR (Cabin 2565)

In perpetual post-cruise depression/pre-cruise anxiety.

Doing my best to be there for 2015.
    --
    Wishlist: Blind Guardian and Saurom. Will probably like 90%+ of the bands onbroad anyway.
  • sageoftruth
    Lieutenant

by sageoftruth » Thu May 02, 2013 7:47 pm

X-Thor wrote:
    sageoftruth wrote:"The best argument against Democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter."
    - Winston Churchill.

For more Churchill:

I believe he also said democracy was the worst political system, except for all the others. I like that. :lol:

Yeah. That is pretty good.
    X-Thor
    Lieutenant

by X-Thor » Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:02 pm

I've found Doctor Who to be a great quote source. Some personal favorites:

-I am and always will be the optimist. The hoper of far-flung hopes and dreamer of improbable dreams. - See more at: http://www.planetclaire.org/quotes/doct ... vevsC.dpuf

-The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don’t always soften the bad things, but vice versa, the bad things don’t always spoil the good things and make them unimportant.

-In 900 years of time and space, I’ve never met anyone who wasn’t important.

-We’re all stories, in the end. Just make it a good one, eh?

-This is one corner… of one country, in one continent, on one planet that’s a corner of a galaxy that’s a corner of a universe that is forever growing and shrinking and creating and destroying and never remaining the same for a single millisecond. And there is so much, so much to see.

And, of course...

-BOWTIES ARE COOL.

--
    Wishlist: Blind Guardian and Saurom. Will probably like 90%+ of the bands onbroad anyway.
    Memnoch
    Lieutenant-Commander

by Memnoch » Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:33 pm

Fezzes are cool.
    Wishlist:
    SABATON / ARKONA / STUCK MOJO / HEIDEVOLK / KILPI / SLAYER
    FOLK METAL / THRASH METAL
    X-Thor
    Lieutenant

by X-Thor » Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:52 am

Memnoch wrote:Image

Fezzes are cool.

Very cool.

--
  • sageoftruth
    Lieutenant

by sageoftruth » Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:46 am

Just posting to drown out the kitchens
    Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:12 pm

Maybe I'm the last person to have read this, cuz it's over a year old & has been widely circulated....but, I just read it for the first time (thanks to 70K alums Daniel & Bailey who posted it on fb) and I think it's really great.

http://www.cracked.com/blog/6-harsh-tru ... er-person/
    2009-Wacken-2010-Wacken-2011-70K-Lollapalooza-HoleInTheSky-2012-70K-ColdWaves-2013-Lollapalooza-ColdWaves-2014-ProgNationAtSea-Pitchfork-RiotFest-ColdWaves-2015-RockLegendsCruise-CruiseToTheEdge-2016-ChicagoOpenAir-2017-70K!!
    TOM CRUISE
    Lieutenant-Commander

by TOM CRUISE » Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:09 am

ida wrote:I heard this one on a tv show
    "Live for today cuz yesterday is gone and tomorrow may never come"

Also lyrics to the song "Die Young" by Black Sabbath off the heaven and hell LP.

Another good one which is so very true is:

"The world is full of Kings and Queens, who blind your eyes and steal your dreams"
    70K- 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017, 2018, 2019 Cabin-6218- Barge to hell -2012
    Speedy
    Ensign

by Speedy » Thu May 22, 2014 11:08 pm

If you drink you die.
    If you don't drink you also die.
    Therefore drink.
    :cheers:
    Translated from a sign I saw in Germany during easter.
    70k 2013 cabin 4008
    70k 2014 cabin 2565
    70k 2015 cabin 8687
    70k 2016 cabin 7607
    70k 2017 cabin 6667

70k 2018 M.I.A.
    70k 2019 cabin 7690
    (Part) Norwegian Wishlist: -Audrey.Horne-/-Borknagar-/-Chontaraz-/-Chrome.Division-/-Circus.Maximus-/-Dimension.F3h-/-Divided.Multitude-/-Djerv-/-Einherjer-/-Evig.Natt-/-Glittertind-/-Gothminister-/-Highland.Glory-/-ICS.Vortex-/-Ihsahn-/-Jorn-/-Leprous-/-Lumsk-/-Memorized.Dreams-/-Midnattsol-/-Mortemia-/-Nergard-/-Pagan's.Mind-/-Savn-/-Svölk-/-Tellus.Requiem-/-Tristania-/-Viper.Solfa-/-Vredehammer-/-Vreid-/-Withem-

International Wishlist: -Abinchova-/-Accept-/-Amon.Amarth-/-Ancient.Bards-/-And.Then.She.Came-/-Arch.Enemy-/-Аркона-/-Avantasia-/-Battlelore-/-Beyond.the.Bridge-/-Blind.Guardian-/-Crimfall-/-Cripper-/-Dalriada-/-Dark.Sarah-/-Delain-/-Demons&Wizards-/-Diabulus.in.Musica-/-Doro-/-Draconian-/-Dragonforce-/-Dream.Theater-/-Eisbrecher-/-Eluveitie-/-Elvenking-/-Ensiferum-/-Epica-/-Equilibrium-/-Evenoire-/-Ex.Libris-/-Fejd-/-Finntroll-/-Finsterforst-/-Fylgja-/-Gloryhammer-/-Грай-/-Grailknights-/-Grave.Digger-/-Haggard-/-Hammerfall-/-Heavatar-/-Heidevolk-/-Heldmaschine-/-Helloween-/-Ignea-/-Izegrim-/-Jaded.Star-/-Калевала-/-Kivimetsän.Druidi-/-Lacuna.Coil-/-Lingua.Mortis.Orchestra-/-Magistina.Saga-/-MaYaN-/-Megaherz-/-Moonsorrow-/-Moonspell-/-Månegarm-/-Ne.Obliviscaris-/-Невидь-/-Nightmare-/-Nightwish-/-Nine.Treasures-/-November-7-/-OOMPH!-/-Orden.Ogan-/-Orphaned.Land-/-Powerwolf-/-Queensrÿche-/-Rage-/-Ragnaröek-/-Raubtier-/-Running.Wild-/-Saltatio.Mortis-/-Schwarzer.Engel-/-Serenity-/-Skálmöld-/-Sleeping.Romance-/-Смута-/-Stahlmann-/-Subway.to.Sally-/-Svartsot-/-Symphony.X-/-Tarja-/-Tengger.Cavalry-/-The.Privateer-/-Turisas-/-Twilight.Force-/-Týr-/-U.D.O.-/-Van.Canto-/-Vanden.Plas-/-Varg-/-Vika-/-Visions.of.Atlantis-/-Vogelfrey-/-Volbeat-/-VUUR-/-White.Shadow-/-Winterstorm-/-Wintersun-/-Within.Temptation-/-Xandria-
    LadyBlackfhyre
    Midshipman

by LadyBlackfhyre » Sat May 31, 2014 9:01 pm

Speedy wrote:If you drink you die.
    If you don't drink you also die.
    Therefore drink.
    :cheers:
    Translated from a sign I saw in Germany during easter.

I approve

70,000 Tons of Metal Survivor - 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016 Here I come!
    Speedy
    Ensign

by Speedy » Fri Sep 12, 2014 3:39 am

70k 2013 cabin 4008
    70k 2014 cabin 2565
    70k 2015 cabin 8687
    70k 2016 cabin 7607
    70k 2017 cabin 6667

70k 2018 M.I.A.
    70k 2019 cabin 7690
    (Part) Norwegian Wishlist: -Audrey.Horne-/-Borknagar-/-Chontaraz-/-Chrome.Division-/-Circus.Maximus-/-Dimension.F3h-/-Divided.Multitude-/-Djerv-/-Einherjer-/-Evig.Natt-/-Glittertind-/-Gothminister-/-Highland.Glory-/-ICS.Vortex-/-Ihsahn-/-Jorn-/-Leprous-/-Lumsk-/-Memorized.Dreams-/-Midnattsol-/-Mortemia-/-Nergard-/-Pagan's.Mind-/-Savn-/-Svölk-/-Tellus.Requiem-/-Tristania-/-Viper.Solfa-/-Vredehammer-/-Vreid-/-Withem-

International Wishlist: -Abinchova-/-Accept-/-Amon.Amarth-/-Ancient.Bards-/-And.Then.She.Came-/-Arch.Enemy-/-Аркона-/-Avantasia-/-Battlelore-/-Beyond.the.Bridge-/-Blind.Guardian-/-Crimfall-/-Cripper-/-Dalriada-/-Dark.Sarah-/-Delain-/-Demons&Wizards-/-Diabulus.in.Musica-/-Doro-/-Draconian-/-Dragonforce-/-Dream.Theater-/-Eisbrecher-/-Eluveitie-/-Elvenking-/-Ensiferum-/-Epica-/-Equilibrium-/-Evenoire-/-Ex.Libris-/-Fejd-/-Finntroll-/-Finsterforst-/-Fylgja-/-Gloryhammer-/-Грай-/-Grailknights-/-Grave.Digger-/-Haggard-/-Hammerfall-/-Heavatar-/-Heidevolk-/-Heldmaschine-/-Helloween-/-Ignea-/-Izegrim-/-Jaded.Star-/-Калевала-/-Kivimetsän.Druidi-/-Lacuna.Coil-/-Lingua.Mortis.Orchestra-/-Magistina.Saga-/-MaYaN-/-Megaherz-/-Moonsorrow-/-Moonspell-/-Månegarm-/-Ne.Obliviscaris-/-Невидь-/-Nightmare-/-Nightwish-/-Nine.Treasures-/-November-7-/-OOMPH!-/-Orden.Ogan-/-Orphaned.Land-/-Powerwolf-/-Queensrÿche-/-Rage-/-Ragnaröek-/-Raubtier-/-Running.Wild-/-Saltatio.Mortis-/-Schwarzer.Engel-/-Serenity-/-Skálmöld-/-Sleeping.Romance-/-Смута-/-Stahlmann-/-Subway.to.Sally-/-Svartsot-/-Symphony.X-/-Tarja-/-Tengger.Cavalry-/-The.Privateer-/-Turisas-/-Twilight.Force-/-Týr-/-U.D.O.-/-Van.Canto-/-Vanden.Plas-/-Varg-/-Vika-/-Visions.of.Atlantis-/-Vogelfrey-/-Volbeat-/-VUUR-/-White.Shadow-/-Winterstorm-/-Wintersun-/-Within.Temptation-/-Xandria-
    last_candle
    Lieutenant-Commander

by last_candle » Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:50 am

don't eat yellow snow
    wishlist '19:
    Axxis - Blind Guardian - Circus Maximus - Doro - Edguy - Frozen Crown - Heavens Gate - Magnum - Opeth - Pretty Maids - Satan - Shadowpath - Silex - Skyclad - Steel Attack - Viathyn - Voyager - Wuthering Heights - 4th Dimension
  • sageoftruth
    Lieutenant

by sageoftruth » Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:48 pm

last_candle wrote:don't eat yellow snow...
    unless you're into that sort of thing.

Fixed it.
    Kingslayer
    Chief Petty Officer

by Kingslayer » Thu Feb 19, 2015 6:42 pm

Words from the one and only Stephen Fry:
    “It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more... than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so fucking what."
    2016: 9231
    2017: 6521
    2018: TBD

Wishlist: Amon Amarth, Candlemass, Devin Townsend Project, Doomsword, Ex Deo, Gloryhammer, Grand Magus, Hypocrisy, King Diamond, Nile, Powerwolf, Running Wild, Septicflesh, Steel Panther, Unleash The Archers