Discuss anything else here

The Fitness Thread

User avatar
User

WizardBeast

Rank

Captain

Posts

11951

Joined

Sat May 15, 2010 4:11 pm

Location

Denver, CO

Re: The Fitness Thread

by WizardBeast » Wed May 08, 2013 9:21 am

mooyagi wrote:We finally got the key for 24 hour access to the fitness center at our apartment complex. Did our first cardio workout in there today while watching OT of the hockey game on the tvs. Nice to have a small fitness center here. We can avoid the oppressive heat and rattlesnakes and it's free.

Hopefully we can actually keep up with it and get some kind of workout program going.


That's a pretty sweet deal! :deathhorns:
2019 wishlist: Jon Oliva / Savatage, Ihsahn, Gojira, Jorn, Emperor, Madder Mortem, Gorguts, Devin Townsend, Persefone, Be'lakor, Shining, Bal Sagoth, Isole, Eleventh Hour, Daylight Dies, Luciferion, Alarum
User avatar
User

mooyagi

Rank

Captain

Posts

20972

Joined

Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:25 pm

Location

Tucson, AZ, USA

Re: The Fitness Thread

by mooyagi » Wed May 08, 2013 9:45 am

WizardBeast wrote:
mooyagi wrote:We finally got the key for 24 hour access to the fitness center at our apartment complex. Did our first cardio workout in there today while watching OT of the hockey game on the tvs. Nice to have a small fitness center here. We can avoid the oppressive heat and rattlesnakes and it's free.

Hopefully we can actually keep up with it and get some kind of workout program going.


That's a pretty sweet deal! :deathhorns:


Yup! Just a deposit for the key which is returned when the key is returned. So far we've made it both days! Worked up quite a sweat last night.
I should get around to updating my signature
User avatar
User

Laura

Rank

Commander

Posts

5880

Joined

Mon May 10, 2010 7:28 am

Location

cloud 9 chicago

Re: The Fitness Thread

by Laura » Wed May 08, 2013 1:01 pm

^^^ sounds great - I think the biggest challenge is just to keep at it - for me anyway. I decided that the best time for me to take a class at a club is super early (have been doing 6:15 am) and 3x/week - but if I'm up late at a show or doing something else - that is tough and makes for a long day. Took an hour long yoga class this morning after a week not going and it was good to be back. Although now I'm pretty zzzzz - working at another location today from 12-8 and then off to see Riverside which starts at 9pm - so no 6:15 am class tomorrow! :beerwink:
2009-Wacken-2010-Wacken-2011-70K-Lollapalooza-HoleInTheSky-2012-70K-ColdWaves-2013-Lollapalooza-ColdWaves-2014-ProgNationAtSea-Pitchfork-RiotFest-ColdWaves-2015-RockLegendsCruise-CruiseToTheEdge-2016-ChicagoOpenAir-2017-70K!!
User avatar
User

KDibildeaux

Rank

Captain

Posts

13904

Joined

Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:07 pm

Location

Tucson, AZ

Re: The Fitness Thread

by KDibildeaux » Wed May 08, 2013 9:13 pm

WizardBeast wrote:
mooyagi wrote:We finally got the key for 24 hour access to the fitness center at our apartment complex. Did our first cardio workout in there today while watching OT of the hockey game on the tvs. Nice to have a small fitness center here. We can avoid the oppressive heat and rattlesnakes and it's free.

Hopefully we can actually keep up with it and get some kind of workout program going.


That's a pretty sweet deal! :deathhorns:

It's nice though today all of the treadmills were taken when we showed up :bitch: . A few laps around the apartment complex and then they were available :D
La sabiduría me persigue................pero yo soy más rápida
User avatar
User

Laura

Rank

Commander

Posts

5880

Joined

Mon May 10, 2010 7:28 am

Location

cloud 9 chicago

Re: The Fitness Thread

by Laura » Wed May 22, 2013 2:04 pm

Last week I finally got around to officially joining a health club (now that my groupon fitness & yoga packages at a few different places are done). It's the same women's club downtown that I belonged to sometime in the early-mid 90s so it has been a while. :P It is such a great place (all kinds of equipment & classes) and super reasonable - $18 a month based on a 18 month sign-up. When I went in the 90s I remember it being about $100 a year. Because the price is so low, I suspect that tons of people sign up who never end up going much (New Years resolutions and such). Regarding my own New Year's fitness resolutions, so far so good. After a very long absence, got back into it and am enjoying the challenge so far...just need to keep at it. The club now offers a couple of yoga classes as well as step, Zumba and all that....so that's cool. They also have lots of equipment. I went yesterday and tried one of the Elliptical trainers for 30 minutes - never had been on one of those and really liked it! It helped that I was listening on my iPhone to the Black Eyed Peas album The E.N.D - really got into that. :P Now, I just need to decide on a schedule of best days/times/classes and all that. Early morning looks like it will work the best because I can go there before work which is nearby.
2009-Wacken-2010-Wacken-2011-70K-Lollapalooza-HoleInTheSky-2012-70K-ColdWaves-2013-Lollapalooza-ColdWaves-2014-ProgNationAtSea-Pitchfork-RiotFest-ColdWaves-2015-RockLegendsCruise-CruiseToTheEdge-2016-ChicagoOpenAir-2017-70K!!
User avatar
User

Blumpkin

Rank

Petty Officer

Posts

171

Joined

Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:24 am

Location

Yugoslavia

Re: The Fitness Thread

by Blumpkin » Wed May 22, 2013 5:57 pm

Laura wrote:^^^ sounds great - I think the biggest challenge is just to keep at it - for me anyway. I decided that the best time for me to take a class at a club is super early (have been doing 6:15 am) and 3x/week - but if I'm up late at a show or doing something else - that is tough and makes for a long day. Took an hour long yoga class this morning after a week not going and it was good to be back. Although now I'm pretty zzzzz - working at another location today from 12-8 and then off to see Riverside which starts at 9pm - so no 6:15 am class tomorrow! :beerwink:


I don't know if anyone else has this problem, but the schedule aspect is the hardest for me to deal with as opposed to the motivation to show up. Trying to find something (that you of course like) in a good location is a real challenge too.
User avatar
User

Laura

Rank

Commander

Posts

5880

Joined

Mon May 10, 2010 7:28 am

Location

cloud 9 chicago

Re: The Fitness Thread

by Laura » Fri May 24, 2013 5:05 pm

Blumpkin wrote:
Laura wrote:^^^ sounds great - I think the biggest challenge is just to keep at it - for me anyway. I decided that the best time for me to take a class at a club is super early (have been doing 6:15 am) and 3x/week - but if I'm up late at a show or doing something else - that is tough and makes for a long day. Took an hour long yoga class this morning after a week not going and it was good to be back. Although now I'm pretty zzzzz - working at another location today from 12-8 and then off to see Riverside which starts at 9pm - so no 6:15 am class tomorrow! :beerwink:


I don't know if anyone else has this problem, but the schedule aspect is the hardest for me to deal with as opposed to the motivation to show up. Trying to find something (that you of course like) in a good location is a real challenge too.


This is very true... - regarding location for sure. I work downtown Chicago and the club that I joined for 18 months starting this month of May (at $18 per month - DEAL!!!) is nearby so that is cool - today I did one of the eliptical machines for 30 minutes on my lunch hour - not a "max" workout - but still better than what I've done for the better part of the last 20 years :shock: - nothing. (except for lots of ransom dancing/headbanging - whatever that counts for!)
2009-Wacken-2010-Wacken-2011-70K-Lollapalooza-HoleInTheSky-2012-70K-ColdWaves-2013-Lollapalooza-ColdWaves-2014-ProgNationAtSea-Pitchfork-RiotFest-ColdWaves-2015-RockLegendsCruise-CruiseToTheEdge-2016-ChicagoOpenAir-2017-70K!!
User avatar
User

Daenerys

Rank

Midshipman

Posts

771

Joined

Mon May 24, 2010 7:42 am

Location

Clearwater/Tampa, Florida

Re: The Fitness Thread

by Daenerys » Fri May 24, 2013 8:47 pm

Laura wrote:
This is very true... - regarding location for sure. I work downtown Chicago and the club that I joined for 18 months starting this month of May (at $18 per month - DEAL!!!) is nearby so that is cool - today I did one of the eliptical machines for 30 minutes on my lunch hour - not a "max" workout - but still better than what I've done for the better part of the last 20 years :shock: - nothing. (except for lots of ransom dancing/headbanging - whatever that counts for!)


:lol: Did you get your kids back yet?

Seriously though, 30 minutes when you can get it in is awesome. If you only have 30 minutes, make it as high-intensity as possible; a lot of research coming out is indicating that brief workouts of high intensity are equivalent or better than a regular length, steady workout. I'm happy because my yoga studio (to whom I've been very devoted, been going there for 7 years straight) is moving to a new location next month which will be a 15 minute drive from me versus the current 30 minutes. Yay! :D
I want what we've never had!

Hypocrisy-Ihsahn-Primordial-GrandMagus-Powerwolf-Myrath-Hell-Opeth-Borknagar-Leprous-SteelPanther-Voyager
User avatar
User

Jaimie38

Rank

Lieutenant

Posts

2049

Joined

Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:29 pm

Location

Edmonton,Canada

Re: The Fitness Thread

by Jaimie38 » Fri May 24, 2013 9:14 pm

[quote="Daenerys"], been going there for 7 years straight)

And it shows :P :cool:



I have a BowFlex. It's a great clothes hanger.
7 Time Vet.
Wishlist--Accept,GRIMREAPER!!!,WASP,ArmoredSaint,DioDisciples,Loudness,
DangerousToys,Triumph.Scorpions,UDO,SkullFIST,Striker,Kobra&theLotus,MorsPrincpiumEst,
Exmortus,TheOrderofChaos,Diemonds For those who are sailing with us in honour
User avatar
User

Blumpkin

Rank

Petty Officer

Posts

171

Joined

Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:24 am

Location

Yugoslavia

Re: The Fitness Thread

by Blumpkin » Sat May 25, 2013 3:44 pm

Daenerys wrote:Seriously though, 30 minutes when you can get it in is awesome. If you only have 30 minutes, make it as high-intensity as possible; a lot of research coming out is indicating that brief workouts of high intensity are equivalent or better than a regular length, steady workout.


I can't claim this is true as there's no way of me really doing a valid test with this theory, but it appears to me to be true, and I certainly hope the research backs it up. I've seen a lot of people sort of "drag out" their workouts by sitting/standing around, talking, taking too long of rests, etc. and it doesn't seem like they're accomplishing much. I feel like I do a lot more just going in there and getting it over with. I can't even really talk much since I'm breathing heavy most or all of the time. I think the best thing you can do is time your rests if you're doing sets of anything, rather than rest until you feel "ready" for another. I can't imagine spending a ton of time in the gym with only moderate exercise is better than short, intense workouts, because I definitely feel like I worked my muscles/lungs after I'm done. I also think this is the reason why all these "high intensity workout" DVD's like "Insanity" get such good reviews: because they force you to work hard with few rests, and for less than an hour, which includes warmup, stretching and cool down.

In summary, unless you're training for something like an endurance activity such as marathon running (you just want to get in shape in other words), I agree with going in there and killing yourself. It's a waste of your time if you don't come out feeling really tired and worked over.
User avatar
User

Laura

Rank

Commander

Posts

5880

Joined

Mon May 10, 2010 7:28 am

Location

cloud 9 chicago

Re: The Fitness Thread

by Laura » Sun May 26, 2013 10:29 am

Daenerys wrote:
Laura wrote:
This is very true... - regarding location for sure. I work downtown Chicago and the club that I joined for 18 months starting this month of May (at $18 per month - DEAL!!!) is nearby so that is cool - today I did one of the eliptical machines for 30 minutes on my lunch hour - not a "max" workout - but still better than what I've done for the better part of the last 20 years :shock: - nothing. (except for lots of ransom dancing/headbanging - whatever that counts for!)


:lol: Did you get your kids back yet?

Seriously though, 30 minutes when you can get it in is awesome. If you only have 30 minutes, make it as high-intensity as possible; a lot of research coming out is indicating that brief workouts of high intensity are equivalent or better than a regular length, steady workout. I'm happy because my yoga studio (to whom I've been very devoted, been going there for 7 years straight) is moving to a new location next month which will be a 15 minute drive from me versus the current 30 minutes. Yay! :D


Haha on my typo - good to hear your opinion on the length of time. 30 minutes was pretty exhausting to me but I imagine it will get better. The craziest thing to me is how beet red in the face I get :shock: - even though I'm beginning at a pretty low level - guess it shows how out of shape I am cardio-wise. 30 minutes is cool though - I can do just about anything if it's only 30 minutes and it certainly is no huge time grab....I'd like to do that elliptical machine at least 3x a week as well as a couple classes - if I do this all before I start work - that is ideal since I really don't want to be doing all that after work, delaying dinner and all that. Not doing any of that this busy holiday weekend, but will go again on Tuesday. Haha - posting all this here is making be feel I need to be accountable. :beerwink:
2009-Wacken-2010-Wacken-2011-70K-Lollapalooza-HoleInTheSky-2012-70K-ColdWaves-2013-Lollapalooza-ColdWaves-2014-ProgNationAtSea-Pitchfork-RiotFest-ColdWaves-2015-RockLegendsCruise-CruiseToTheEdge-2016-ChicagoOpenAir-2017-70K!!
User avatar
User

Daenerys

Rank

Midshipman

Posts

771

Joined

Mon May 24, 2010 7:42 am

Location

Clearwater/Tampa, Florida

Re: The Fitness Thread

by Daenerys » Sun May 26, 2013 8:45 pm

Jaimie38 wrote:
Daenerys wrote: (been going there for 7 years straight)

And it shows :P :cool:



I have a BowFlex. It's a great clothes hanger.


Awww thanks :mrgreen: I've totally been slacking due to my shitty schedule though, that's the only thing that sucks about working 12 hours shifts; its a vicious cycle of sleep-work-eat-sleep, makes me feel like a slob :oops:

Laura, here's an entertaining article about HIT (high intensity) workouts:

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/05/0 ... e-workout/
I want what we've never had!

Hypocrisy-Ihsahn-Primordial-GrandMagus-Powerwolf-Myrath-Hell-Opeth-Borknagar-Leprous-SteelPanther-Voyager
User avatar
User

Blumpkin

Rank

Petty Officer

Posts

171

Joined

Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:24 am

Location

Yugoslavia

Re: The Fitness Thread

by Blumpkin » Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:48 pm

As good a routine as it might be, I have to question how much benefits you could possibly get from 7 minutes of exercise, even if you warm up and stretch. Someone told me a long time ago that the heart rate has to be elevated for 20 minutes before you will get any workout benefits. I don't know if that's true or not, but 7 minutes is an awfully short time. There's some infomercial out there from Tony Horton (the guy who made P90X) on a 10-minute workout system, but it seems to me that less than half an hour or working out does little to nothing. Am I wrong?
User avatar
User

KDibildeaux

Rank

Captain

Posts

13904

Joined

Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:07 pm

Location

Tucson, AZ

Re: The Fitness Thread

by KDibildeaux » Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:34 pm

Been doing at least a half hour of cardio (an hour if I don't get at least 5000 steps at work) an adding in strength training this week. We have been consistent for over a month! Never thought I'd be able to regularly go to a gym. Helps that we can watch the Food Network while working out :lol:
La sabiduría me persigue................pero yo soy más rápida
User avatar
User

viathyn

Rank

Commander

Posts

5638

Joined

Fri Apr 09, 2010 4:35 pm

Location

Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Re: The Fitness Thread

by viathyn » Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:39 pm

I started lifting weights back in October.

I've maintained the same weight of about 225 lbs, but I've noticed big differences in muscle definition.

I've increased my chin-ups reps from about 3 to 9.
I've increased bench press weight (3 reps) from 115 to 195.
I've increased squats weight (6 reps) from 155 to 315, etc etc.

Big improvements, and feeling great!
2011: Cabin #5549
2012: Cabin #2581
2013: Cabin #2077
2014: Cabin #2583
2015: Cabin #3242


Please check out my band
http://www.facebook.com/VIATHYN

User avatar
User

Stained Class

Rank

Commander

Posts

9583

Joined

Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:53 am

Location

Vancouver, British Columbia

Re: The Fitness Thread

by Stained Class » Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:45 pm

You're basically the John Petrucci of Calgary.
Image
The infamous LOLLIPOP

70K 2011, 70K 2012, BTH 2012, 70K 2013, 70K 2014, 70K 2015, 70K 2016, 70K 2017
I may have an addiction

Much want:
Aeternam-/-Alkaloid-/-Arkaik-/-Be'Lakor-/-Bloodshot.Dawn-/-Conquering.Dystopia-/-First.Fragment-/-Hypocrisy-/-Inferi-/-Persefone-/-Persuader-/-Vale.Of.Pnath

Also want:
Andy.James-/-Amiensus-/-Anubis.Gate-/-Arcturus-/-Barren.Earth-/-Caligula's.Horse-/-Chthonic-/-Enfold.Darkness-/-Entrails-/-Eternal.Tears.Of.Sorrow-/-Ex.Deo-/-Firesoul-/-Ghost.Brigade-/-Gorod-/-Haken-/-Harakiri.For.The.Sky-/-Ihsahn-/-In.Mourning-/-In.Vain-/-Krampus-/-Lost.Society-/-Madder.Mortem-/-Marty.Friedman-/-Meadows.End-/-Mistur-/-October.Tide-/-Rodrigo.y.Gabriela-/-Russkaja-/-Saor-/-Savatage-/-Snowy.Shaw-/-Spawn.Of.Possession-/-Steel.Panther-/-Stormlord-/-Suidakra-/-Teramaze-/-Toxik-/-Virvum-/-Vuur-/-Wilderun-/-Witherfall-/-Whispered-/-Wolfchant-/-Wolfheart-/-Wyrd-/-Xanthochroid

Repeats:
The.Absence-/-Anaal.Nathrakh-/-Coroner-/-Cripper-/-Dragonforce-/-Firewind-/-Helloween-/-Iced.Earth-/-Kampfar-/-Obituary-/-Onslaught-/-Sodom

Reunions:
Dismember-/-Forbidden-/-Kiuas-/-myGRAIN-/-Nevermore

www.facebook.com/Apprenticemetal
User avatar
User

Laura

Rank

Commander

Posts

5880

Joined

Mon May 10, 2010 7:28 am

Location

cloud 9 chicago

Re: The Fitness Thread

by Laura » Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:50 pm

^^^ :lol:
Seriously though - good job everyone. This week has been lame for me work-out wise (except for running around like a chicken with my head cut off as usual :P )....took a couple of vacation days early in the week, then I worked OT in a different location on the far northwest side yesterday on my regular day off. And this morning I was too rushed to grab my work-out clothes so I could go to the gym today either at lunch or after work. Since the club I joined is in the downtown "Loop" near where I work, I know I'll only be going there when I'm already downtown for work. So - the plan is to go tomorrow....not quite my 3x/week goal this week - but better than nuthin'!!
2009-Wacken-2010-Wacken-2011-70K-Lollapalooza-HoleInTheSky-2012-70K-ColdWaves-2013-Lollapalooza-ColdWaves-2014-ProgNationAtSea-Pitchfork-RiotFest-ColdWaves-2015-RockLegendsCruise-CruiseToTheEdge-2016-ChicagoOpenAir-2017-70K!!
User avatar
User

KDibildeaux

Rank

Captain

Posts

13904

Joined

Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:07 pm

Location

Tucson, AZ

Re: The Fitness Thread

by KDibildeaux » Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:33 pm

viathyn wrote:I started lifting weights back in October.

I've maintained the same weight of about 225 lbs, but I've noticed big differences in muscle definition.

I've increased my chin-ups reps from about 3 to 9.
I've increased bench press weight (3 reps) from 115 to 195.
I've increased squats weight (6 reps) from 155 to 315, etc etc.

Big improvements, and feeling great!

Whoa! I can't even picture benching 195 lbs :shock:
La sabiduría me persigue................pero yo soy más rápida
User avatar
User

KDibildeaux

Rank

Captain

Posts

13904

Joined

Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:07 pm

Location

Tucson, AZ

Re: The Fitness Thread

by KDibildeaux » Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:34 pm

Laura wrote:^^^ :lol:
Seriously though - good job everyone. This week has been lame for me work-out wise (except for running around like a chicken with my head cut off as usual :P )....took a couple of vacation days early in the week, then I worked OT in a different location on the far northwest side yesterday on my regular day off. And this morning I was too rushed to grab my work-out clothes so I could go to the gym today either at lunch or after work. Since the club I joined is in the downtown "Loop" near where I work, I know I'll only be going there when I'm already downtown for work. So - the plan is to go tomorrow....not quite my 3x/week goal this week - but better than nuthin'!!

Getting the time to work out seems to be the hardest part!
La sabiduría me persigue................pero yo soy más rápida
User avatar
User

Blumpkin

Rank

Petty Officer

Posts

171

Joined

Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:24 am

Location

Yugoslavia

Re: The Fitness Thread

by Blumpkin » Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:01 am

KDibildeaux wrote:Getting the time to work out seems to be the hardest part!


I couldn't agree more! That's even harder than the actual workout!
User avatar
User

Blumpkin

Rank

Petty Officer

Posts

171

Joined

Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:24 am

Location

Yugoslavia

Re: The Fitness Thread

by Blumpkin » Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:02 am

Stained Class wrote:You're basically the John Petrucci of Calgary.
Image


I think his muscles increased with the length of his hair after he cut it, so don't forget the hair getting longer in the picture!
User avatar
User

viathyn

Rank

Commander

Posts

5638

Joined

Fri Apr 09, 2010 4:35 pm

Location

Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Re: The Fitness Thread

by viathyn » Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:48 am

Stained Class wrote:You're basically the John Petrucci of Calgary.
Image

hahaha. Love that pic.

Ok, my secret is out... why do you think I play on Music Man JPs? :P
2011: Cabin #5549
2012: Cabin #2581
2013: Cabin #2077
2014: Cabin #2583
2015: Cabin #3242


Please check out my band
http://www.facebook.com/VIATHYN

User avatar
User

KDibildeaux

Rank

Captain

Posts

13904

Joined

Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:07 pm

Location

Tucson, AZ

Re: The Fitness Thread

by KDibildeaux » Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:27 pm

Blumpkin wrote:
KDibildeaux wrote:Getting the time to work out seems to be the hardest part!


I couldn't agree more! That's even harder than the actual workout!

It is. Stupid work!
La sabiduría me persigue................pero yo soy más rápida
User avatar
User

Laura

Rank

Commander

Posts

5880

Joined

Mon May 10, 2010 7:28 am

Location

cloud 9 chicago

Re: The Fitness Thread

by Laura » Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:53 pm

Bloody hell.... :P today when I was on the elliptical machine, I had my iTunes on shuffle - and my new ultimate workout song came on (coincidentally - since I had Volbeat's Michael Poulsen on the brain via the ladie's thread yesterday and today -PLUS- I firmed up my hotel plans with a friend for Viva Las Vegas (woot - world's largest rockabilly party) next April)....
Volbeat: A Moment Forever http://youtu.be/Hy3rnIHKBI4
Tomorrow when I go back to the club - I'm gonna put it on repeat. :shred:

Viva Las Vegas!! http://www.vivalasvegas.net/
(My next "big thing")
2009-Wacken-2010-Wacken-2011-70K-Lollapalooza-HoleInTheSky-2012-70K-ColdWaves-2013-Lollapalooza-ColdWaves-2014-ProgNationAtSea-Pitchfork-RiotFest-ColdWaves-2015-RockLegendsCruise-CruiseToTheEdge-2016-ChicagoOpenAir-2017-70K!!
User avatar
User

alex_canada

Rank

Ensign

Posts

1112

Joined

Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:23 pm

Location

Winnipeg

Re: The Fitness Thread

by alex_canada » Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:36 am

Did a half marathon this morning...not sure of the time, but something under 2 hours. I could be a decent runner if I trained, but I have no idea at all how these people get motivated to run so often. Unless I'm running on the big event day, I have no motivation to go out by myself and run around.
3 Inches of Blood, Amon Amarth, Andrew WK, Be'lakor, Blind Guardian, Blink 182, Chthonic, Ne Obliviscaris, Nightwish, Pagan's Mind, Unleash the Archers, Wuthering Heights
User avatar
User

KDibildeaux

Rank

Captain

Posts

13904

Joined

Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:07 pm

Location

Tucson, AZ

Re: The Fitness Thread

by KDibildeaux » Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:19 am

alex_canada wrote:Did a half marathon this morning...not sure of the time, but something under 2 hours. I could be a decent runner if I trained, but I have no idea at all how these people get motivated to run so often. Unless I'm running on the big event day, I have no motivation to go out by myself and run around.

No idea. I hate running and can't get myself to do it for more than a few minute bursts. Yuck
La sabiduría me persigue................pero yo soy más rápida
User avatar
User

Blumpkin

Rank

Petty Officer

Posts

171

Joined

Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:24 am

Location

Yugoslavia

Re: The Fitness Thread

by Blumpkin » Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:06 am

KDibildeaux wrote:No idea. I hate running and can't get myself to do it for more than a few minute bursts. Yuck


The best I can do is interval runs -- different periods of moderate paces and sprints. Swimming is by far the superior "steady" cardio activity. Otherwise, so many other things are better, such as circuit training and leg stuff like box jumps and lunge squats, anything like that that gets your lungs working. Treadmill = boring to me.
User avatar
User

mooyagi

Rank

Captain

Posts

20972

Joined

Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:25 pm

Location

Tucson, AZ, USA

Re: The Fitness Thread

by mooyagi » Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:17 am

Blumpkin wrote:Treadmill = boring to me.


Agreed, though watching the Food Network while running seems to help. :lol: I much prefer to run outside as the scenery changes throughout the course of the run making it more enjoyable. When I lived in the LA area my daily run along the beach was pretty nice. In Arizona it's just too damn hot this time of year to make running outside possible.
I should get around to updating my signature
User avatar
User

WizardBeast

Rank

Captain

Posts

11951

Joined

Sat May 15, 2010 4:11 pm

Location

Denver, CO

Re: The Fitness Thread

by WizardBeast » Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:28 am

mooyagi wrote:
Blumpkin wrote:Treadmill = boring to me.


Agreed, though watching the Food Network while running seems to help. :lol: I much prefer to run outside as the scenery changes throughout the course of the run making it more enjoyable. When I lived in the LA area my daily run along the beach was pretty nice. In Arizona it's just too damn hot this time of year to make running outside possible.


yeah it's too hot for humans out there unless it's 3am!!!

i do interval training on the stairmaster or treadmill, i find it more effective for me than long steady cardio, which is boring on any indoor machine. i like long walks if i'm gonna do that.

been back to lifting weights again for the first time in about 8 months. on week 3 now. i feel so much better when i lift! :D
2019 wishlist: Jon Oliva / Savatage, Ihsahn, Gojira, Jorn, Emperor, Madder Mortem, Gorguts, Devin Townsend, Persefone, Be'lakor, Shining, Bal Sagoth, Isole, Eleventh Hour, Daylight Dies, Luciferion, Alarum
no avatar
User

Striker01

Rank

Wiper

Posts

2

Joined

Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:49 pm

Re: The Fitness Thread

by Striker01 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:12 pm

According to my personal point of view the running is the best exercise for burning your fat. I have seen many cases which successfully lost the weight . so I must recommend to walk in the begging the run.
User avatar
User

KDibildeaux

Rank

Captain

Posts

13904

Joined

Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:07 pm

Location

Tucson, AZ

Re: The Fitness Thread

by KDibildeaux » Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:37 am

Blumpkin wrote:
KDibildeaux wrote:No idea. I hate running and can't get myself to do it for more than a few minute bursts. Yuck


The best I can do is interval runs -- different periods of moderate paces and sprints. Swimming is by far the superior "steady" cardio activity. Otherwise, so many other things are better, such as circuit training and leg stuff like box jumps and lunge squats, anything like that that gets your lungs working. Treadmill = boring to me.

I split up my cardio time between the treadmill, elliptical machine and the stair climber. Makes it less boring
La sabiduría me persigue................pero yo soy más rápida
User avatar
User

Blumpkin

Rank

Petty Officer

Posts

171

Joined

Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:24 am

Location

Yugoslavia

Re: The Fitness Thread

by Blumpkin » Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:04 am

Striker01 wrote:According to my personal point of view the running is the best exercise for burning your fat. I have seen many cases which successfully lost the weight . so I must recommend to walk in the begging the run.


Swimming is better. Less stress on the joints, and it works more muscles.
User avatar
User

WizardBeast

Rank

Captain

Posts

11951

Joined

Sat May 15, 2010 4:11 pm

Location

Denver, CO

Re: The Fitness Thread

by WizardBeast » Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:43 am

the best workout is the one that pushes you and you can stick to it!
2019 wishlist: Jon Oliva / Savatage, Ihsahn, Gojira, Jorn, Emperor, Madder Mortem, Gorguts, Devin Townsend, Persefone, Be'lakor, Shining, Bal Sagoth, Isole, Eleventh Hour, Daylight Dies, Luciferion, Alarum
User avatar
User

Ingrid

Rank

Petty Officer

Posts

261

Joined

Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:35 am

Location

+31

Re: The Fitness Thread

by Ingrid » Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:40 am

Sooo.. time to get in shape for the cruise.. 5 months left and a LOT of kilos to lose...... :P .
I don't go to the gym, I don't like it so I will never go anyway, and that would be a waste of money.
I do workouts at home with a special program and go running 2-3 times a week.
Those things I actually like doing (mostly because I can do them on my own, without having the feeling that the entire gym is watching me), give me satisfaction, and actually work!!

I already lost 10 kilos this year, and I'm not planning on stopping :cool:
www.metal-exposure.com
User avatar
User

X-Thor

Rank

Lieutenant

Posts

2891

Joined

Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:11 am

Location

Mexico City, Mexico

Re: The Fitness Thread

by X-Thor » Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:58 am

Ingrid wrote:Sooo.. time to get in shape for the cruise.. 5 months left and a LOT of kilos to lose...... :P .
I don't go to the gym, I don't like it so I will never go anyway, and that would be a waste of money.
I do workouts at home with a special program and go running 2-3 times a week.
Those things I actually like doing (mostly because I can do them on my own, without having the feeling that the entire gym is watching me), give me satisfaction, and actually work!!

I already lost 10 kilos this year, and I'm not planning on stopping :cool:


:headbanger: :headbanger:
70K 2013 SURVIVOR (Cabin 2120)
70K 2014 SURVIVOR (Cabin 2565)

In perpetual post-cruise depression/pre-cruise anxiety.

Doing my best to be there for 2015.
--
Wishlist: Blind Guardian and Saurom. Will probably like 90%+ of the bands onbroad anyway.
User avatar
User

viathyn

Rank

Commander

Posts

5638

Joined

Fri Apr 09, 2010 4:35 pm

Location

Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Re: The Fitness Thread

by viathyn » Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:51 am

I've been lifting weights pretty regularly for about 11 months now. 1 more year and I will be in full bear-mode. I'm loving it, by the way... I feel great most of the time.
2011: Cabin #5549
2012: Cabin #2581
2013: Cabin #2077
2014: Cabin #2583
2015: Cabin #3242


Please check out my band
http://www.facebook.com/VIATHYN

User avatar
User

onenight

Rank

Midshipman

Posts

821

Joined

Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:11 pm

Location

Indiana

Re: The Fitness Thread

by onenight » Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:05 pm

Ingrid wrote:Sooo.. time to get in shape for the cruise.. 5 months left and a LOT of kilos to lose...... :P .
I don't go to the gym, I don't like it so I will never go anyway, and that would be a waste of money.
I do workouts at home with a special program and go running 2-3 times a week.
Those things I actually like doing (mostly because I can do them on my own, without having the feeling that the entire gym is watching me), give me satisfaction, and actually work!!

I already lost 10 kilos this year, and I'm not planning on stopping :cool:


How far do you run?
2015 wishlist: Mercyful Fate, Meliah Rage, Agalloch, Anathema, Armored Saint, Warlock, Sahg, Labyrinth, Incantation, Accept, Savatage, Goatwhore, Satan, Bolt Thrower, Tad Morose, Krokus, TT Quick, Eldritch
User avatar
User

onenight

Rank

Midshipman

Posts

821

Joined

Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:11 pm

Location

Indiana

Re: The Fitness Thread

by onenight » Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:11 pm

Striker01 wrote:According to my personal point of view the running is the best exercise for burning your fat. I have seen many cases which successfully lost the weight . so I must recommend to walk in the begging the run.


I agree, If you want to lose weight and keep it off, running is the way to go. Sign up for a local race, something short and easy to keep you motivated. I started running 5 yrs ago and I'm in the best shape I've ever been in my life, and I smoked for almost 15 yrs.
2015 wishlist: Mercyful Fate, Meliah Rage, Agalloch, Anathema, Armored Saint, Warlock, Sahg, Labyrinth, Incantation, Accept, Savatage, Goatwhore, Satan, Bolt Thrower, Tad Morose, Krokus, TT Quick, Eldritch
User avatar
User

alex_canada

Rank

Ensign

Posts

1112

Joined

Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:23 pm

Location

Winnipeg

Re: The Fitness Thread

by alex_canada » Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:19 pm

A few months ago I completely lost my motivation to exercise. In the meantime, I went outdoor rock climbing for the first time and loved it - decided to put some cash down that weekend to buy some gear and haven't looked back since. The time away has recharged my batteries, and I've enjoyed hitting the weights again. I was going to wait until 100 days until the cruise, but decided to get a jump start since I felt reinvigorated.

Can't get up the motivation for leg day though. Used to enjoy it, but a broken kneecap from Metalcamp years ago threw a wrench in squats. And also horrible flexibility.

Sort of a fitness note as well - I've been asked to present at my province's biggest physician conference regarding integrating physical activity prescription into primary care. Score!
3 Inches of Blood, Amon Amarth, Andrew WK, Be'lakor, Blind Guardian, Blink 182, Chthonic, Ne Obliviscaris, Nightwish, Pagan's Mind, Unleash the Archers, Wuthering Heights
User avatar
User

Ingrid

Rank

Petty Officer

Posts

261

Joined

Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:35 am

Location

+31

Re: The Fitness Thread

by Ingrid » Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:49 am

You can do it!!! :D

onenight wrote:
Ingrid wrote:Sooo.. time to get in shape for the cruise.. 5 months left and a LOT of kilos to lose...... :P .
I don't go to the gym, I don't like it so I will never go anyway, and that would be a waste of money.
I do workouts at home with a special program and go running 2-3 times a week.
Those things I actually like doing (mostly because I can do them on my own, without having the feeling that the entire gym is watching me), give me satisfaction, and actually work!!

I already lost 10 kilos this year, and I'm not planning on stopping :cool:


How far do you run?



Oh I never noticed this post. Usually somewhere between 5 and 7 kilometers, but at the moment I'm having an injurie so I'm not running thát much, and also not that fast and far. But it's getting better so I'm getting started again!

Just before the injurie had aaaaaaaalmost ran my 5k within the half hour (30 seconds too long)
www.metal-exposure.com
PreviousNext

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

Powered by phpBB ®
cron