Post Reply 68 posts
NBA
    mooyagi
    Captain

NBA

by mooyagi » Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:45 pm

Any basketball fans on the forum? Maybe some hockey fans looking to fill the void? The season tips off on Tuesday. I'm really excited about it. The Miami Heat are clearly the team to beat but I'm hoping the Celtics, after a great offseason, have re-tooled enough to get by them this time.

I wonder if the hurricane will affect any games over the week.
    I should get around to updating my signature
    Feanorgandalf
    Chief Petty Officer

Re: NBA

by Feanorgandalf » Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:37 pm

I can get into almost any sport except that. No idea why I like playing but watching just bores me (except for the Globetrotters)
    Ecliptica
    Ensign

by Ecliptica » Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:46 pm

Absolutely my favorite sport to watch.

I'll watch every New Orleans Hornets game I can this season and be attending as many Golden State Warriors games as my schedule permits. I'm the total opposite as Feanor -- I can watch any basketball game anytime. My TV is pretty much permanently on NBA TV from now until next summer.
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:50 pm

Ecliptica wrote:Absolutely my favorite sport to watch.

I'll watch every New Orleans Hornets game I can this season and be attending as many Golden State Warriors games as my schedule permits. I'm the total opposite as Feanor -- I can watch any basketball game anytime. My TV is pretty much permanently on NBA TV from now until next summer.

If you were still in LA I'd ask you to throw that javelin you're holding at Dwight Howard and Steve Nash because "Fuck the Lakers" but I guess that's out of the cards now. :bitch:

I thought OKC would make it back to the Finals this year but with trading James Harden, they just handed the Western Conference to the Lakers. Here's hoping for one more Lakers/Celtics final, though I'm expecting Lakers/Heat.
    last_candle
    Lieutenant-Commander

by last_candle » Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:37 pm

we're so bummed out that we won't be able to attend a game pre or post cruise
    I'll be root for the Heat, the Suns, the Jazz, the Pacers and the Hornets - it has been like that for almost two decades and will probably never change
    (though I have to admit that I don't know many players anymore...)
    wishlist '20:
    Axxis - Blind Guardian - Circus Maximus - Doro - Edguy - Frozen Crown - Heavens Gate - Magnum - Opeth - Pretty Maids - Ravenous - Satan - Shadowpath - Silex - Skyclad - Steel Attack - Viathyn - Voyager - Wuthering Heights - 4th Dimension
    Castroh
    Chief Petty Officer

by Castroh » Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:40 am

I've watched every Bulls game, including pre-season & summer league, for the last five years. I'm a die hard Bulls fan. This season is going to completely blow for us now that Rose is sidelined. :cry:
    2012 - 2019 Survivor
    2020 - Yup!
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:44 am

Castroh wrote:I've watched every Bulls game, including pre-season & summer league, for the last five years. I'm a die hard Bulls fan. This season is going to completely blow for us now that Rose is sidelined. :cry:

He was a huge, huge loss. It'll be interesting to see how long it takes him to recover to 100% after that injury.
    markku1
    Chief Petty Officer

by markku1 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 1:08 pm

last_candle wrote:we're so bummed out that we won't be able to attend a game pre or post cruise
    I'll be root for the Heat, the Suns, the Jazz, the Pacers and the Hornets - it has been like that for almost two decades and will probably never change

I'm thinking that I'm going to watch on Friday, 25 january heat against the pistons game
    Castroh
    Chief Petty Officer

by Castroh » Sun Nov 04, 2012 3:45 pm

mooyagi wrote:
    Castroh wrote:I've watched every Bulls game, including pre-season & summer league, for the last five years. I'm a die hard Bulls fan. This season is going to completely blow for us now that Rose is sidelined. :cry:

He was a huge, huge loss. It'll be interesting to see how long it takes him to recover to 100% after that injury.

I don't think he'll ever be 100% again, that injury will plague him for the rest of his career.
    2012 - 2019 Survivor
    2020 - Yup!
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:01 pm

Castroh wrote:
    mooyagi wrote:

I don't think he'll ever be 100% again, that injury will plague him for the rest of his career.

I think he'll come back. A torn ACL, though extremely painful (this is from personal experience), is something that can be recovered from completely. It just takes a while. Many, many athletes have gone through it before and been fine in the long run. From what I've seen and what others have said, it usually takes about 2 years to come back to 100% of a player's capacity, though that player can play at a high level after less than a year.
    Castroh
    Chief Petty Officer

by Castroh » Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:20 am

Thanks for shining some light on a shitty situation for my team.
    2012 - 2019 Survivor
    2020 - Yup!
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:20 am

Castroh wrote:Thanks for shining some light on a shitty situation for my team.

No problemo! Rose is fun to watch and I still fondly remember the most exciting playoff series ever between the Bulls and Celtics.

I love how the Lakers already have started going into panic mode after 5 games. Yeah, Mike Brown is a terrible coach but relax, folks. It's only 5 games. Teams take time to figure things out with a large roster turnover (my Celtics are having the same issues but I'm being patient). Of course, this probably means they luck into getting Mike D'Antoni (perfect for Steve Nash) or they convince Phil Jackson to return. My hope is they go after Stan van Gundy to fuck with Dwight Howard. :twisted:

I hate the Lakers.
    Castroh
    Chief Petty Officer

by Castroh » Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:49 am

The Bulls/Celtics series a few years ago was by far the best playoff series I have ever seen in any sport. And I think It's possible that I despise the Lakers even more than you, tied with my hatred of the Spurs.
    2012 - 2019 Survivor
    2020 - Yup!
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:03 am

Castroh wrote:And I think It's possible that I despise the Lakers even more than you

mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:04 am

Yeah, that Bulls/Celtics series was nuts. So many heart stopping moments and both teams played at such a high level.
    Castroh
    Chief Petty Officer

by Castroh » Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:11 am

mooyagi wrote:
    Castroh wrote:And I think It's possible that I despise the Lakers even more than you

:lol: :lol: :lol:
    2012 - 2019 Survivor
    2020 - Yup!
    Castroh
    Chief Petty Officer

by Castroh » Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:13 am

mooyagi wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol:
    2012 - 2019 Survivor
    2020 - Yup!
    last_candle
    Lieutenant-Commander

by last_candle » Sat Nov 10, 2012 4:18 pm

markku1 wrote:
    last_candle wrote:we're so bummed out that we won't be able to attend a game pre or post cruise

I'm thinking that I'm going to watch on Friday, 25 january heat against the pistons game

hmmmm...
    wishlist '20:
    Axxis - Blind Guardian - Circus Maximus - Doro - Edguy - Frozen Crown - Heavens Gate - Magnum - Opeth - Pretty Maids - Ravenous - Satan - Shadowpath - Silex - Skyclad - Steel Attack - Viathyn - Voyager - Wuthering Heights - 4th Dimension
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:27 pm

Good game for the Celtics against the Bulls, Castroh. Nice win for the C's. Bulls made it pretty close towards the end. Would've been a pretty good comeback. Glad it didn't happen. :lol:
    Castroh
    Chief Petty Officer

by Castroh » Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:24 pm

mooyagi wrote:Good game for the Celtics against the Bulls, Castroh. Nice win for the C's. Bulls made it pretty close towards the end. Would've been a pretty good comeback. Glad it didn't happen. :lol:

I knew you'd be watching that game. The Bulls had more than enough opportunities to take that one, but our offense is horrendous. Nice win, we'll get the next one.
    2012 - 2019 Survivor
    2020 - Yup!
    pablov8
    Midshipman

by pablov8 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:16 am

I've been a Spurs fan since Ginobili started there, so I want them to win the title.
    And if not Phoenix (with Scola) or New York (with Prigioni) or Houston (Delfino) :D .
    70K 2012: Cabin 4023 survivor
    70K 2013: Cabin 2587 survivor
    70K 2014: Cabin 2521 survivor
    70K 2016: Cabin 6369 survivor
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:22 am

Castroh wrote:
    mooyagi wrote:Good game for the Celtics against the Bulls, Castroh. Nice win for the C's. Bulls made it pretty close towards the end. Would've been a pretty good comeback. Glad it didn't happen. :lol:

I knew you'd be watching that game. The Bulls had more than enough opportunities to take that one, but our offense is horrendous. Nice win, we'll get the next one.

They did have many opportunities. Celtics almost gave that one away. They could've put it out of reach early but the offense went stagnant, as it usually does. Overall, though, I'd say that was the best game the Celtics have played so far this season. It's a little bit encouraging since a few guys are still trying to find their comfort zone with the roles they play on the team.
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:23 am

pablov8 wrote:I've been a Spurs fan since Ginobili started there, so I want them to win the title.
    And if not Phoenix (with Scola) or New York (with Prigioni) or Houston (Delfino) :D .

Spurs always seem to be very good. I could never get into watching them though. Back when they were winning titles their play always bored the crap out of me.
    last_candle
    Lieutenant-Commander

by last_candle » Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:18 pm

mooyagi wrote:
    pablov8 wrote:I've been a Spurs fan since Ginobili started there, so I want them to win the title.

Spurs always seem to be very good. I could never get into watching them though. Back when they were winning titles their play always bored the crap out of me.

spurs = snooze fest alarm
    wishlist '20:
    Ecliptica
    Ensign

by Ecliptica » Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:32 pm

Went to my first Golden State Warriors game last week.

$4 ticket
    $11 beer
    $35 to park

What the fuck?!

Needless to say, I'll be going to as many games as I can (even though Oakland has to be the scariest place I've ever been). Will probably go on Wednesday night to see them play Brooklyn and on Saturday to see them against Minnesota.
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:40 pm

Ecliptica wrote:Went to my first Golden State Warriors game last week.

$4 ticket
    $11 beer
    $35 to park

What the fuck?!

Needless to say, I'll be going to as many games as I can (even though Oakland has to be the scariest place I've ever been). Will probably go on Wednesday night to see them play Brooklyn and on Saturday to see them against Minnesota.

$4 for a ticket? :shock:

Oakland is usually very high on the list of most dangerous cities in the country. Way too much money for beer and parking but at least the ticket was cheap.
    Ecliptica
    Ensign

by Ecliptica » Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:55 pm

They were decent seats too! Front row of the top section.

I used to go to Hornets games for like $3/4 also. Cheap beer there and no parking. I miss New Orleans.
    last_candle
    Lieutenant-Commander

by last_candle » Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:18 pm

I finally can watch some NBA again - not whole games, but at least NBA Today, I LIKE
    wishlist '20:
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:20 pm

last_candle wrote:I finally can watch some NBA again - not whole games, but at least NBA Today, I LIKE

Cool! You can get familiar with all the new players on your teams now.
    last_candle
    Lieutenant-Commander

by last_candle » Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:24 pm

that's the plan! so far, I'm still stuck in 1997 :mrgreen:
    wishlist '20:
    Sgt. B
    Lieutenant

by Sgt. B » Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:32 pm

Minnesota Timberwolves fan. Had season tickets (10 rows behind the visitor's bench) for all of the Kevin Garnett years. I go to games occassionally now. Waiting for the team to get back to full strength (i.e. Rubio).

I now seem to pay more attention to the league in January, after the holidays. Possibly because the NFL is starting to wind down.
    1914-Abbath-Aeon-Ahab-Akercocke-Alcest-AliceCooper-Alestorm-AmonAmarth-Amorphis-AnaalNathrakh-Anathema-AnnekeVanGeirsbergen/VUUR-ArmoredSaint-Asphyx-AtTheGates-Auðn-Ayreon-BarrenEarth-Behemoth-Be'lakor-BlackBreath-BlackFast-BlindGuardian-Borknagar-Brainstorm-CallenishCircle-Candlemass-Carcass-CarpenterBrut-ChelseaWolfe-CirithUngol-Cloak-Conan-CravenIdol-Cruachan-CryptSermon-CultOfLuna-CutUp-DarkAngel-DarkFortress-DeadCongregation-DeathAngel-DemolitionHammer-Demons&Wizards-DevinTownsend-Dismember-DraggedIntoSunlight-Dyscarnate-EdgeOfSanity-ElectricWizard-Emperor-Enforcer-Enshine-Entombed-Entrails-EsotericUK-Evocation-Exodus-Evoken-Exhorder-Falkenbach-FatesWarning-Fen-Feral-Firespawn-Flotsam&Jetsam-ForgottenTomb-GeneralSurgery-Ghost-GhostBath-Ghoul-Godflesh-Gojira-Gorguts-Gorod-GrandMagus-Grave-GraveMiasma-GreenCarnation-Haemorrhage-HammersOfMisfortune-Hate-HighSpirits-HoodedMenace-Hypocrisy-IcedEarth-Ihsahn-Immolation-ImperiumDekadenz-InTheWoods-Incantation-InterArma-IronReagan-Izegrim-Kadavar-Kampfar-KeepOfKalessin-Khemmis-Khonsu-KingDiamond/MercyfulFate-KingGoat-Kriegsmaschine-LaazRockit-LacunaCoil-LegionOfTheDamned-LIK-LimbonicArt-Loudness-Lvcifyre(UK)-Manegarm-Melechesh-Memoriam-Mgla-MiseryIndex-Mistur-MonsterMagnet-Moonsorrow-Moonspell-MournfulCongregation-MunicipalWaste-MyDyingBride-Myrkur-MysticProphecy-Nails-Necrot-NovembersDoom-Novembre-NuclearAssault-Okera-Opeth-OrangeGoblin-OranssiPazuzu-Orchid-Overkill-PagansMind-Panopticon-Perturbator-Portal-Powerwolf-Primordial-Profetus-PowerTrip-Prong-Queensryche-RottenSound-RottingChrist-S.O.D.-Sabbat(UK)-SacredReich-Sanctuary-Saor-Sarke-Saturnus-Satyricon-Saxon-Schammasch-SecretsOfTheMoon-ShapeOfDespair-SkeletalRemains-Skeletonwitch-Skepticism-Skyclad-Skyforger-Sleep-SloughFeg-Solstafir-SufferingHour-SuicidalAngels-SulphurAeon-SvartCrown-Sylosis-TempleOfVoid-Testament-TheCrown-TheGathering-TheGreatOldOnes-TheHaunted-TheLurkingFear-TheOcean-TheRuinsOfBeverast-Therion-Thulcandra-Thyrfing-Tribulation-Triptykon-Uada-Ulcerate-Unleashed-Vader-Vemod-Vio-Lence-Visigoth-Voices(UK)-Vredehammer-Vreid-WakeTheDead-Watain-Wayfarer-Waylander-Windhand-Winterfylleth-Witherscape-WithinTemptation-Wolf-WolvesInTheThroneRoom-Yob-Zhrine

2012: Survivor
    2014: Survivor
    2015: Survivor
    2016: Survivor
    2017: Survivor
    2018: Survivor
    2019: Survivor
    2020: Survivor
    BtH(2012): Survivor
    Sgt. B
    Lieutenant

by Sgt. B » Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:34 pm

mooyagi wrote:I think he'll come back. A torn ACL, though extremely painful (this is from personal experience), is something that can be recovered from completely. It just takes a while. Many, many athletes have gone through it before and been fine in the long run. From what I've seen and what others have said, it usually takes about 2 years to come back to 100% of a player's capacity, though that player can play at a high level after less than a year.

I think Adrian Peterson has proved that you can recover from an ACL injury quickly. He was hurt a little more than a year ago & is leading the league in rushing. I hope Rubio recovers as successfully.
    1914-Abbath-Aeon-Ahab-Akercocke-Alcest-AliceCooper-Alestorm-AmonAmarth-Amorphis-AnaalNathrakh-Anathema-AnnekeVanGeirsbergen/VUUR-ArmoredSaint-Asphyx-AtTheGates-Auðn-Ayreon-BarrenEarth-Behemoth-Be'lakor-BlackBreath-BlackFast-BlindGuardian-Borknagar-Brainstorm-CallenishCircle-Candlemass-Carcass-CarpenterBrut-ChelseaWolfe-CirithUngol-Cloak-Conan-CravenIdol-Cruachan-CryptSermon-CultOfLuna-CutUp-DarkAngel-DarkFortress-DeadCongregation-DeathAngel-DemolitionHammer-Demons&Wizards-DevinTownsend-Dismember-DraggedIntoSunlight-Dyscarnate-EdgeOfSanity-ElectricWizard-Emperor-Enforcer-Enshine-Entombed-Entrails-EsotericUK-Evocation-Exodus-Evoken-Exhorder-Falkenbach-FatesWarning-Fen-Feral-Firespawn-Flotsam&Jetsam-ForgottenTomb-GeneralSurgery-Ghost-GhostBath-Ghoul-Godflesh-Gojira-Gorguts-Gorod-GrandMagus-Grave-GraveMiasma-GreenCarnation-Haemorrhage-HammersOfMisfortune-Hate-HighSpirits-HoodedMenace-Hypocrisy-IcedEarth-Ihsahn-Immolation-ImperiumDekadenz-InTheWoods-Incantation-InterArma-IronReagan-Izegrim-Kadavar-Kampfar-KeepOfKalessin-Khemmis-Khonsu-KingDiamond/MercyfulFate-KingGoat-Kriegsmaschine-LaazRockit-LacunaCoil-LegionOfTheDamned-LIK-LimbonicArt-Loudness-Lvcifyre(UK)-Manegarm-Melechesh-Memoriam-Mgla-MiseryIndex-Mistur-MonsterMagnet-Moonsorrow-Moonspell-MournfulCongregation-MunicipalWaste-MyDyingBride-Myrkur-MysticProphecy-Nails-Necrot-NovembersDoom-Novembre-NuclearAssault-Okera-Opeth-OrangeGoblin-OranssiPazuzu-Orchid-Overkill-PagansMind-Panopticon-Perturbator-Portal-Powerwolf-Primordial-Profetus-PowerTrip-Prong-Queensryche-RottenSound-RottingChrist-S.O.D.-Sabbat(UK)-SacredReich-Sanctuary-Saor-Sarke-Saturnus-Satyricon-Saxon-Schammasch-SecretsOfTheMoon-ShapeOfDespair-SkeletalRemains-Skeletonwitch-Skepticism-Skyclad-Skyforger-Sleep-SloughFeg-Solstafir-SufferingHour-SuicidalAngels-SulphurAeon-SvartCrown-Sylosis-TempleOfVoid-Testament-TheCrown-TheGathering-TheGreatOldOnes-TheHaunted-TheLurkingFear-TheOcean-TheRuinsOfBeverast-Therion-Thulcandra-Thyrfing-Tribulation-Triptykon-Uada-Ulcerate-Unleashed-Vader-Vemod-Vio-Lence-Visigoth-Voices(UK)-Vredehammer-Vreid-WakeTheDead-Watain-Wayfarer-Waylander-Windhand-Winterfylleth-Witherscape-WithinTemptation-Wolf-WolvesInTheThroneRoom-Yob-Zhrine

mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:35 pm

Sgt. B wrote:
    mooyagi wrote:I think he'll come back. A torn ACL, though extremely painful (this is from personal experience), is something that can be recovered from completely. It just takes a while. Many, many athletes have gone through it before and been fine in the long run. From what I've seen and what others have said, it usually takes about 2 years to come back to 100% of a player's capacity, though that player can play at a high level after less than a year.

I think Adrian Peterson has proved that you can recover from an ACL injury quickly. He was hurt a little more than a year ago & is leading the league in rushing. I hope Rubio recovers as successfully.

Isn't he within striking distance of the NFL record too?
    Sgt. B
    Lieutenant

by Sgt. B » Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:22 pm

mooyagi wrote:
    Sgt. B wrote:

Isn't he within striking distance of the NFL record too?

505 away from the record with 3 games to play. He would need to average ~169 yards a game.

last_candle
    Lieutenant-Commander

by last_candle » Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:50 am

watching NBA tonight day after day - it's fun to finally be able to get to know the new players/teams etc.

...and not to forget: we bought tickets for the game vs. the Pistons after all
    we'll arrive on Friday 6PM and the game's schedules for 7.30PM...but what the heck :D
    wishlist '20:
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:42 pm

last_candle wrote:we'll arrive on Friday 6PM and the game's schedules for 7.30PM...but what the heck :D

You might be able to make it in time. Depends on where your hotel is I guess.
    last_candle
    Lieutenant-Commander

by last_candle » Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:34 pm

mooyagi wrote:
    last_candle wrote:we'll arrive on Friday 6PM and the game's schedules for 7.30PM...but what the heck :D

You might be able to make it in time. Depends on where your hotel is I guess.

South Beach, of course :cool:
    wishlist '20:
    last_candle
    Lieutenant-Commander

by last_candle » Fri May 24, 2013 1:47 pm

just watched the first game of the Heat vs. Pacers series - and it made me miss Miami :)
    this could be a very tough series - but Miami will probably prevail thanks to the deeper roster

...and I don't like to admit it, but the Spurs are once again ready to strike in the post-season
    wishlist '20:
    last_candle
    Lieutenant-Commander

by last_candle » Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:20 pm

the same-finals were fantastic and I just love the fact that I finally can watch some matches
    I've seen most of the series against the Pacers and now three out of four games of the finals

now the finals can go either way - each of the four matches were totally different from the other and we'll probably have a decisive 7th game
    I wasn't too confident after game three, but with Wade and Bosh finally striking again - we could see the Heat defend their title after all...
    wishlist '20:
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:50 pm

last_candle wrote:I wasn't too confident after game three, but with Wade and Bosh finally striking again - we could see the Heat defend their title after all...

But I don't want them to!
Post Reply 68 posts