Post Reply 12 posts Page 1 of 1
Happy New Year, New Year's Resolutions and all that jazz...
  • Laura
    Commander

Happy New Year, New Year's Resolutions and all that jazz...

by Laura » Sat Dec 28, 2013 6:35 pm

So, what's everyone doing for New Year's? The last couple of years we've stayed home, but this year the kids are staying at a friend's house, so we decided to get tickets to see the Cheech & Chong/War "Up in Smoke" New Years Party at the Chicago Theater. http://www.thechicagotheatre.com/events ... eatre.html Oh man - this is gonna be great. Most people here may be too young to remember and'/or know Cheech & Chong, the band War, or the movie Up in Smoke....but, for me?....majorly awesome 70s flashback....
    :smoking: Image :smoking: Image :smoking: Image

Opening credits - "Low Rider" by War
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tES3mcwS8EQ

Here is a classic 7 minute clip ("Is that a joint man?", "I hope your dick is bigger than that man," :lol: and so much more http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0078446/quotes)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljfdg3mPcvY

I dunno - maybe it's one of those things that ya had to be there in 1978 to appreciate as I did :lol: :beerbang:
    Last edited by Laura on Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
    2009-Wacken-2010-Wacken-2011-70K-Lollapalooza-HoleInTheSky-2012-70K-ColdWaves-2013-Lollapalooza-ColdWaves-2014-ProgNationAtSea-Pitchfork-RiotFest-ColdWaves-2015-RockLegendsCruise-CruiseToTheEdge-2016-ChicagoOpenAir-2017-70K!!
    TOM CRUISE
    Lieutenant-Commander

Re: Happy New Year, New Year's Resolutions and all that jazz

by TOM CRUISE » Sun Dec 29, 2013 7:54 am

All I remember was buying the up in smoke soundtrack on vinyl in '78 and opening it to find the biggest Bambu rolling paper I had ever seen in my life !! Of course my friends and I rolled up a phattie. I think 14 of us were high as kites, went to the movie at drive in and finished the roach. :lol: "Don't look at his scar Man" :lol:

Have fun Laura ! I am staying home like I usually do. Regardless of what some say about my drinking habits, I only drink on special occasions. Next special occasion is 70K.
    70K- 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2024 - Cabin 2350. Barge to hell -2012
    metalgoddess
    Midshipman

by metalgoddess » Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:10 pm

That's awesome, Laura!

I'm riding with two sober people who are working at the Tractor Tavern in Ballard (a Scandinavian fishing part of Seattle) at a celebration with a Rolling Stones cover band!

I'm gonna dress hippie, take a camera, drink some champagne, meet some new people and rock out.
    70K 2011 - 5062
    70K 2012 - 8568
    Barge 2012 - 6520
    70K 2014 - 8092
    70K 2015 - 7584
    70K 2017 - 6517
    70K 2018 - 6451
    Stained Class
    Commander

by Stained Class » Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:52 pm

Made a resolution some time in December last year (because if you make a resolution you have to start right when you make it, if you set a date to start like new years eve then it's doomed to fail) to be less sarcastic and stop pissing people off with my sarcasm, which was a problem. I think I accomplished that :lol:

This year no resolutions but if everything works out for me I'll get out of debt and move to Vancouver so 2014 looks like it'll be a pretty good year for me!
    I'm also planning on attending a lot of festivals:

70000 Tons
    Calgary Metalfest
    Armstrong Metalfest
    Metaldays
    Wacken
    Heavy MTL
    PPUSA
    Noctis (if it happens, there are rumours that 2013 was not the last year)

Also I'm almost done working on a 2 song EP that'll be done some time this year so people will finally have something of mine to listen to! Hopefully in Van I'll be able to get a consistent band together and maybe actually finally play a show (which I've been saying I would do "this year" for the last 2 or 3 years).
    9 time cruiser

I'm in a band
    www.facebook.com/Apprenticemetal

I run a festival
    https://www.facebook.com/events/2854966994515383
    TOM CRUISE
    Lieutenant-Commander

by TOM CRUISE » Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:26 am

I also like the other Cheech and Chong films the two that followed Up in Smoke that is !
    Last edited by TOM CRUISE on Tue Dec 31, 2013 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    70K- 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2024 - Cabin 2350. Barge to hell -2012
  • Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:52 am

TOM CRUISE wrote:All I remember was buying the up in smoke soundtrack on vinyl in '78 and opening it to find the biggest Bambu rolling paper I had ever seen in my life !! Of course my friends and I rolled up a phattie. I think 14 of us were high as kites, went to the movie at drive in and finished the roach. :lol: "Don't look at his scar Man" :lol:

Have fun Laura ! I am staying home like I usually do. Regardless of what some say about my drinking habits, I only drink on special occasions. Next special occasion is 70K.

:lol: :lol: Haha - I saw Up in Smoke at a drive-in (when it came out) with several friends as well - I think I may have seen it a second time - 20 years ago or more - but watching some youtube clips brought it all back. :lol: By the way, do drive-ins even exist anymore?? I can't remember the last time I saw one - maybe on a driving trip out in the west or something? :lol:

Happy New Year and enjoy your night home, Scott. As I said, we stayed home the last couple of years and have other times as well, but we love the Chicago Theater (where we saw the Allman Bros in August and will see the Experience Hendrix tribute in March, and it's only a 10 minute train ride from our house)....and well, Cheech & Chong and War? should be uber fun.

metalgoddess wrote:That's awesome, Laura!

I'm riding with two sober people who are working at the Tractor Tavern in Ballard (a Scandinavian fishing part of Seattle) at a celebration with a Rolling Stones cover band!

I'm gonna dress hippie, take a camera, drink some champagne, meet some new people and rock out.

sounds very fun Carrie - ENJOY!! :heavydrink:

p.s. watching some old War footage - never saw them in their heyday, but definitely knew their music well ...haha, this is from 40 years ago - don't know who of the original members are left, but they gotta be in thir 60s.
    Such a great groovey soul, bluesy funky sound they had/have.
    War: Cisco Kid http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvYODVTHC2I (live on the Midnight Special, 1973 - my fave show growing up)
    and haha - another fave show of mine back then - Soul Train (the black version of American Bandstand which originated in Chicago for those who don't know :cool: ) with people dancing to Cisco Kid http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWNvJEFv3AM
    omg - so great :P
    :beerbang: :lol:
    2009-Wacken-2010-Wacken-2011-70K-Lollapalooza-HoleInTheSky-2012-70K-ColdWaves-2013-Lollapalooza-ColdWaves-2014-ProgNationAtSea-Pitchfork-RiotFest-ColdWaves-2015-RockLegendsCruise-CruiseToTheEdge-2016-ChicagoOpenAir-2017-70K!!
  • Emma
    Petty Officer

by Emma » Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:19 am

I''m going to Malmö to spend new years with some new friends. Meet this girl at Hellfest 2012 and we went again in 2013, she asked me to join their party and I said yes directly.
    Started as a party at home with 4 people and now we are 13!
    I let her 5 friends stay with me in my appartment for the Metaltown festival in Gothenburg so I'm hoping some of them will be there as well.

Ending up at this club, guessing before 00:00. Never been there but it sounds awesome!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Distortion/94253044908

I have no promises for 2014 except for having a really good time in Florida in a month! Hoping you all could help with that ;) hehe

:viking:
  • vikingbitch
    Lieutenant-Commander

by vikingbitch » Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:28 am

That's awesome Laura! I saw that a few years ago here in Calgary, mostly it was them doing skits etc and was hilarious. Fuck its been ages since I've watched any of their movies.

Will be hitting up a metal show tonight with handful of friends. 11 bands for 10 bucks. Punk vs. Metal.

Bring on the New Year :chug: :stagger: :pound: :party:
    SURVIVOR: 70K2011, 70K2012, BTH2012, 70K2013 & 70K2014. NEXT UP: 70K2015
    metalgoddess
    Midshipman

by metalgoddess » Tue Dec 31, 2013 2:30 pm

As far as resolutions go, mine is to change the strings on the Hamer and take guitar lessons again! This time I want to get good! I can play a bunch of instruments, but I'm not really good at any of them. More like mediocre. LOL

And I want to take my mom on a vacation this year as well as save some money AND buy my first motorcycle. :-)
    70K 2011 - 5062
    70K 2012 - 8568
    Barge 2012 - 6520
    70K 2014 - 8092
    70K 2015 - 7584
    70K 2017 - 6517
    70K 2018 - 6451
    CaptOblivious
    Ensign

by CaptOblivious » Wed Jan 01, 2014 1:09 am

Happy New Year to my entire forum family :bangers: i cannot wait to see most of you again in just a few short weeks :cheers: as for resolutions i don't bother never keep most of them past a few weeks anyways.
    You can't have slaughter without laughter
    2012-cabin # 4519
    2012-BtH cabin# 2563
    2013-cabin # 3015
    2014-cabin # 2515
    2015-cabin # 8659
    Merch Whore .... you name it at a show ill try to buy it >.>
    Hockeyagi 2013 champ
  • Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:39 am

Hope everyone enjoyed their New Year's Eve! Seeing Cheech & Chong with the band War was really fun as expected. We were really impressed with War - super tight band & a great fusion of funk, soul, bluesy groove with some latin & reggae thrown in here & there. When I listened to some of their greatest hits albums on Spotify, I was surprised that I recognized/knew so much of their music besides their biggest 70s hits like Low Rider, Cisco Kid, Spill the Wine, & Why Can't We Be Friends - songs like Slippin' Into Darkness http://youtu.be/-6te_t4n5NU , All Day Music, & The World is a Ghetto http://youtu.be/oKKMdmPBWRk Since the show started promptly at 8 pm, it was over already by 10:30 which was great because we got back early enough to do a little bar hopping in our neighborhood before a bottle of champagne at midnight at our house. :trashdrink: :P

New Year's Resolutions?
    Hmmm....still thinking about that, but one fun idea that we came up with is that 2014 will be the "Year of the Dinner Party." :P We got together with many old friends in 2013 (partly due to my college reunion and a handfull of graduation, retirement, and other party/events), and we all said how we have to "get together more often." Well, you know how that goes - we all are busy, and before you know it, a lot of time has gone by, and so on. So, our goal is to entertain a lot in our home (more than usual) and have at least one dinner party a month (maybe more). We already set one up for this month and early February & I'm excited! We often go out to eat with friends & family, which is nice, but I really enjoy entertaining in our own home (and going to other people's places as well, of course). The goal of all this is to stay in touch with friends in a fun way.

This will also be a Year of Prog for me as I plan to continue to revisit my prog rock roots of my youth and discover more contemporary prog rock/metal bands, and those older bands I missed. There is no doubt in my mind that the Progressive Nation ar Sea cruise will be an amazing journey toward that end.

I also want to learn all I can about Glacier National Park, Montana before we all go this summer. This is a place I've wanted to visit for many years. We've got three different historic lodges (3 nights each) in different parts of the Park (it's huge). We booked flights out there and decided to take the train home which will be a long (29 hours), but beautiful ride.

Oh...thought of a few more things....want to continue to watch some older (and some newer) classic movies I've never seen or not seen in a very long time. I'm using Sight & Sound's top 100 films as one of my guides....but there are other criteria, such as filmographies of favorite directors, actors & so on. High on my list starting off this new year are films by Akira Kurosawa...I've heard of him all my life (and we have tons of books on him & his films where I work), and yet oddly, I never saw any of his films. Similar story with me & Fellini - saw some of his movies for the first time in 2013 & really loved them.

Also want to see more live theater this year - saw more in 2013 than I had in awhile and really enjoyed all. Chicago is such a great theater town.

And last but not least....I want to start a blog where I plan to "ramble" on anything & everything - :lol: I don't even care if anyone reads it. It will be semi-anonymous and simply be called The Heavy Metal Librarian.

:P
    taketheday
    Chief Petty Officer

by taketheday » Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:29 am

My New Year's eve was quiet, alone at home in front of my TV, as usual, but I like it.

I never have resolutions, except to not have any :lol: This year is my year, my 50th birthday one and hoping to celebrate it in different ways. First with the cruise, then with my holiday to Finland between mid-May and mid-June (if nothing change) where I'm hoping to do some gigs and visiting different cities. I will definitely fix the dates between February and March, according to some bands that I would like to see live :D

2013: 7545
    2014: 9554
    2015: 2633
    2016 and 2019: 7320
    2017/2018: 7624
    2020: 7324

https://www.facebook.com/Bands.support.and.promotion
Post Reply 12 posts Page 1 of 1