Post Reply 2 posts Page 1 of 1
computer science and 3D animation
  • samaireen
    Wiper

computer science and 3D animation

by samaireen » Sun Aug 17, 2014 11:23 pm

Is animation a good career to pursue? I'm currently in my senior highschool year and i'm interested in both computer science and 3D animation. I really don't know which field i should pursue, i am fairly good at math & physics however i'm not that good of an artist. My drawings are relatively bad but i could always work harder on myself and become a better artist if that's what it takes. But is it worth it? is animation a good career to pursue? will i be able to find a job after graduation?
    Last edited by samaireen on Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
    wut3v4
    Petty Officer

Re: computer science and 3D animation

by wut3v4 » Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:06 pm

samaireen wrote:Is animation a good career to pursue? I'm currently in my senior highschool year and i'm interested in both computer science and 3D animation. I really don't know which field i should pursue, i am fairly good at math & physics however i'm not that good of an artist. My drawings are relatively bad but i could always work harder on myself and become a better artist if that's what it takes. But is it worth it? is animation a good career to pursue? will i be able to find a job after graduation?

Hello! I'm glad you asked. And good luck with your final year in high school. Now, time to be brutally honest with you. I went to art school and majored in animation. I grew up in a home with a father who's been working in the computer field since it was still a new field! (At least 3 decades).

Animation is HIGHLY competitive and jobs are scarce. That is the plain truth. Is it fun? Yes! Is it unique? Yes! Is it something that is absolutely guanranteed to land you a job and make ends meet? Absolutely NOT! Sadly, animation isn't a highly demanding field such as engineering or medicine. As a result, there are very few jobs for animation. The animation capital in the US is pretty much California. So living on the East Coast of the US is almost guaranteed to leave one unemployed in animation. And even with a job in animation, the pay isn't exactly financially stable (unless you work for Disney) Many times, the field may call for working insanely long hours (I'm talking 8AM to 10PM or even camping overnight in the studio meet deadlines)!

Many of us who've majored in animation have resorted to working unrelated jobs for which we are over-qualified for (such as retail, child care, etc) and of course, the pay is barely something to live off of. The few who do land relevant jobs in the field usually have to move to places like California, Japan, or Canada and kiss a lot of arse before getting the job. And it's not like they're getting paid Disney salary! (Btw, working for Disney will definitely load your pockets, but you'll feel like a slave)!

Sorry to sort of overload you with this, but many of us wish someone was there to tell us this before we naïvely made the mistake of majoring in animation. With that said, you could MINOR in animation. But I wouldn't recommend majoring in it. It's not a skill that is in high demand in society, therefore it's not something that'll feed you and help you pay off the HUNDREDS of THOUSANDS of dollars of debt you'll accumulate to get the degree! (Word of warning, PLEASE search reviews of whatever college you are thinking about and STAY AWAY from the Art Insititutes and any other "college" owned by Goldman Sachs and the EDMC). Those are scam art schools that I got conned into going to and now all I have is debt (nearly $210,000) but barely any education after the 4 years I attended. Not to mention, the US Department of Justice is suing EDMC for various criminal activities in how they run their colleges (just like Goldman Sachs got sued for in the housing fraud).

As for computer science, my dad says the computer field is highly competitive as well and the good paying jobs aren't as common, but you'll have more luck in the computer field than in animation. The low level computer jobs would be data entry and help desk/IT. Those jobs have high turnover rates and you barely need to be profecient in computers! The higher level would be jobs like software engineering (what my dad does). The pay is BEAUTIFUL, but again, the field is HIGHLY competitive.

Since you say you're good in the sciences and math, I recommend majoring in them. You could always minor in animation or computers, and/or take some art or computer courses as free electives or get certifications. A LOT of math and science majors work in the computer field. My dad's former supervisor was a math major and bio minor working as a software developer! (He used to help me when I had trouble with my biology homework lol).

Th ething about computers is ANYONE can learn it! A lot of people learn the stuff for free just from self study as a hobby. But it helps to show you have the coursework or certification. If you majored in math or science, you'd also have a hiher chance on falling back on teaching as a backup job until you get your 'ideal' job. You can teach in public schools for debt forgiveness, and math and science teachers are really in need!

Anyway, hope this ESSAY helped you LOL! Feel free to message me if you want to discuss more in private. GOOD LUCK! :D
Post Reply 2 posts Page 1 of 1