Post Reply 93 posts
We need BLACK METAL!!!
  • portharbor
    Crewman

We need BLACK METAL!!!

by portharbor » Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:38 pm

I realize that Black Metal is a niche genre that doesnt have a huge following but getting a handful of quality black metal band's would be awesome.

Mayhem? please please please
    Emperor? Can Faust get through US customs after that murder?
    Gorgoroth?
    Immortal?
    Satyricon?
    Dimmu?
    1349?

They could always go for the low quality end of black metal too with Cradle of Flith lol
    Malaka
    Lieutenant

Re: We need BLACK METAL!!!

by Malaka » Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:41 pm

Approved. :beerhorns:
    Batushka>Be'lakor>DarkFortress>Draconian>Hypocrisy>Mgla>PowerTrip>RottingChrist>Scour>SLAYER>TheatreofTragedyReunion>Triptykon>Uada>Wolfheart
  • Metalwrath

by Metalwrath » Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:51 pm

Emperor are terrible and not really a black metal band especially these days.

Mayhem not a chance. Good band.but because of the way they act off stage.They cause too much damage to property to keep up their 'EVIL' appearance.
    Gorgoroth is just a name now.it's not the actual band really.

Satyricon?Black metal?Seriously these days they play what has been defined 'black and roll'They ahven't been a black metal band for about 8 years now or more.
    Last few albums ahev been a disgrace to their previous work.

1349 : good on record but boring as fuck live

Dimmu? : Haven't been a black metal band in about 10-15 years now? Mostly Synth.Last album wasn't great and why the fuck are they wearing narnia costumes now?

out of all the bands mentioned immortal are the only band i have any ounce of respect for.they always put on a great performance and have stuck with being a black metal band although the black metal elitists may say diferent due to the fact that they wear corpse paint and don't act in a serious enough manner which is apparently what is expected these days in Black metal.
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:25 pm

More black metal yes!!! Pllleeeaaassseee UMC? :beerhorns:

In response to metalwrath:

Emperor are fucking awesome though certainly no longer black metal. Faust isn't a member of the band anymore I thought. They had issues with Samoth getting into the country last time they played the States.

Mayhem sure as shit ain't happening.

Gorgoroth is back to almost the entire Under the Sign of Hell lineup as far as I know. Latest album was still shit but there's potential for a good show if they get booked. Highly doubt it would happen though.

Satyricon sucks. No thank you.

1349 never got into. Can't be more boring than Marduk live.

Dimmu's new album sucks. Those narnia costumes :lol: are stupid and they are boring live.

Immortal would be awesome! Wrath, I'm with you thinking the black metal elitists need to lighten the fuck up.

Cradle of Fitlh? Fuck no :lol:

Those really are the "big" names with the most mass appeal but there are certainly others that would be better.

My black metal band I really would want on the cruise would be Kampfar.
    I should get around to updating my signature
    KevinP
    Commander

by KevinP » Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:53 pm

Blut Aus Nord
    Alcest

I like Marduk, but I've seen them live 2X now and they are quite boring live.

Primoridal (which seems like a forgone conclusion) isn;t black metal, but has black elements, so I'll count them as well.
    WISHLIST

BOLT THROWER / MADDER MORTEM / SEAR BLISS / AEON / THE AMENTA / AUTOPSY / MDB / THE 11th HOUR / HAIL OF BULLETS / DORDEDUH / TRIPTYKON / NE OBLIVISCARIS / PORTAL

The Sultan of Stroopwafels
    The Viceroy of Vegemite
    Loather of Power Metal
    soundcurve
    Chief Petty Officer

by soundcurve » Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:08 pm

You have my vote though I blab too much about this soo . .. Representing Canada . . . WEAPON!!!!

ShoreSlayer
    Captain

by ShoreSlayer » Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:19 pm

Oh Joe...

WARNING - LANGUAGE NSFW or young kids :shock:
    So far at least, 2011, 2012 & 2015 were enough for me
    :shred:Book 'em ANDO!! :headbanger:

:boobs: 2018/2019 Hockeyagi Champion :boobs:
    Ecliptica
    Ensign

by Ecliptica » Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:35 pm

My problem with black metal on the cruise is that it's really not the atmosphere for a black metal band. . .if that makes any sense.

I mean, we're in the Caribbean, under the sun, and everyone is enjoying themselves -- if I was listening to black metal in that setting, it would damper my mood. This is why I'm all for campy unicorn-loving power metal. I was definitely at my happiest during Sabaton even though they're not one of my favorite bands but because THEY were so happy. I don't want to see the stereotypical grim-black-metal-face on stage forcing themselves to have a shit time because that's their persona.

That being said, I'd still LOVE for Melechesh, Rotting Christ, or Borknagar (do they count anymore?) to be on broad. Especially Melechesh since I missed them last time they were here.
    Last edited by Ecliptica on Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:40 pm

But the funny contrast between the sunny Caribbean and grim and frostbitten black metal bands seems so damn funny :lol: Immortal could pull it off since they're goofy enough. Bands like Kampfar have enough folk metal in them to make it work too.

+1 for Borknagar especially now that they have Vortex and Vintersorg both in the band. They really don't count as pure black metal but who really gives a shit? They are awesome!
    AlaskaRachel
    Lieutenant-Commander

by AlaskaRachel » Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:14 am

Ecliptica wrote:My problem with black metal on the cruise is that it's really not the atmosphere for a black metal band. . .if that makes any sense.

I mean, we're in the Caribbean, under the sun, and everyone is enjoying themselves -- if I was listening to black metal in that setting, it would damper my mood. This is why I'm all for campy unicorn-loving power metal. I was definitely at my happiest during Sabaton even though they're not one of my favorite bands but because THEY were so happy. I don't want to see the stereotypical grim-black-metal-face on stage forcing themselves to have a shit time because that's their persona.

That being said, I'd still LOVE for Melechesh, Rotting Christ, or Borknagar (do they count anymore?) to be on broad. Especially Melechesh since I missed them last time they were here.

Yea hot tubs and black metal don't go together very well :lol:
    But I still put in my vote for more black metal on broad :cheers:
  • TARSUS
    Oiler

by TARSUS » Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:37 am

Bring VENOM instead!!!!!
    BULL ROCKER ALCOHOLIC LEGIONS!!!
    KDibildeaux
    Captain

by KDibildeaux » Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:40 am

Ecliptica wrote:I mean, we're in the Caribbean, under the sun, and everyone is enjoying themselves -- if I was listening to black metal in that setting, it would damper my mood. This is why I'm all for campy unicorn-loving power metal. I was definitely at my happiest during Sabaton even though they're not one of my favorite bands but because THEY were so happy. I don't want to see the stereotypical grim-black-metal-face on stage forcing themselves to have a shit time because that's their persona.

They could always have them do the really late shows in the indoor stages
    Last edited by KDibildeaux on Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
    La sabiduría me persigue................pero yo soy más rápida
    viathyn
    Commander

by viathyn » Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:41 am

I'd be ok for a couple grim frostbitten bands on board for sure! I'd like to have it rounded out nicely... that, and black metal shows are a lot of fun.
    2011: Cabin #5549
    2012: Cabin #2581
    2013: Cabin #2077
    2014: Cabin #2583
    2015: Cabin #3242

Please check out my band
    http://www.facebook.com/VIATHYN

• Metalwrath

by Metalwrath » Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:17 am

There is another issue with immortal playing that was brought up when people talked about that Kiss Cruise.
    Immortal also love their pyro and like to breath fire on stage :mrgreen:
  • Ripley
    Crewman

by Ripley » Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:36 am

Immortal would be great, Abbath may have his pyro at the Pool Stage under the caribbean blashyrk sky :beerhorns: yeah

There are a lot of good bands like Endstille, Niffelheim, Inquisition, Dark Fortress, Nachtmystium and for black and death Necrophobic, just to name few.
    But as far as I can see most people seem to like more "soft" stuff or lets say bands that would also play Wacken. I am really happy that they invited Moonsorrow,
    even as black metal fan I am not dissapointed, cause it will be a killer holiday anyway. I will enjoy everything and if I would like every band there would be
    no time for :cheers: and :party: and :givebeer:

But to finish, Immortal would be great

Cheer
    I space no one can hear you scream

Wishlist for 70000 tons 2014: Dark Fortress, Satyricon, Marduk, Dimmu Borgir, Cripper, God Seed, Skeletonwitch, Necrophobic, Belphegor, Skalmöld, Endstille, Cannibal Corpse, Cattle Decapitation, King Diamond
    Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:52 am

^^^ I love Immortal and will see them for the third time this summer...but it would be really cool to see them on the boat as well - I think they will be there. :P :beerhorns:
    2009-Wacken-2010-Wacken-2011-70K-Lollapalooza-HoleInTheSky-2012-70K-ColdWaves-2013-Lollapalooza-ColdWaves-2014-ProgNationAtSea-Pitchfork-RiotFest-ColdWaves-2015-RockLegendsCruise-CruiseToTheEdge-2016-ChicagoOpenAir-2017-70K!!
    Bentz!
    Sub-Lieutenant

by Bentz! » Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:02 pm

Laura wrote:^^^ I love Immortal and will see them for the third time this summer...but it would be really cool to see them on the boat as well - I think they will be there. :P :beerhorns:

Seeing as how you seem to be winning "Wishlist Bingo," I'm starting to think that you're in on it... I hope you're right, though.
    Did Immortal do the pyro at the Chicago show? There was no fyah at the Pittsburgh show.
    Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:18 pm

Bentz! wrote:
    Laura wrote:^^^ I love Immortal and will see them for the third time this summer...but it would be really cool to see them on the boat as well - I think they will be there. :P :beerhorns:

Seeing as how you seem to be winning "Wishlist Bingo," I'm starting to think that you're in on it... I hope you're right, though.
    Did Immortal do the pyro at the Chicago show? There was no fyah at the Pittsburgh show.

No, I don't know or talk to anyone at UMC or in Immortal - it's just a hunch. :beerwink:
    My extended wishlist of 40 bands on the 2012 wishlist thread included In Extremo so that makes 5 - yay! :lol:

Nope, no pyro at the Immortal Bottom Lounge gig - too small a place/low ceiling I think.
    2009-Wacken-2010-Wacken-2011-70K-Lollapalooza-HoleInTheSky-2012-70K-ColdWaves-2013-Lollapalooza-ColdWaves-2014-ProgNationAtSea-Pitchfork-RiotFest-ColdWaves-2015-RockLegendsCruise-CruiseToTheEdge-2016-ChicagoOpenAir-2017-70K!!
    pablov8
    Midshipman

by pablov8 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:19 pm

I thought Emperor had split-up, are they still together?
    70K 2012: Cabin 4023 survivor
    70K 2013: Cabin 2587 survivor
    70K 2014: Cabin 2521 survivor
    70K 2016: Cabin 6369 survivor
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:15 pm

pablov8 wrote:I thought Emperor had split-up, are they still together?

They've done a few shows here and there but I don't believe there's ever been a proper reunion. Wouldn't expect them for 70K even though it is a special event. Anyone know the last time they played?
    Steve110
    Petty Officer

by Steve110 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:20 pm

Immortal is definitely the one band that is a) big enough to be onbroad and b) doesn't suck balls. We can wish for Drudkh or Blut Aus Nord or Kampfar (who I seriously can't stop listening to) but it's probably not gonna happen.
    doomguy
    Sub-Lieutenant

by doomguy » Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:41 am

mooyagi wrote:
    pablov8 wrote:I thought Emperor had split-up, are they still together?

They've done a few shows here and there but I don't believe there's ever been a proper reunion. Wouldn't expect them for 70K even though it is a special event. Anyone know the last time they played?

The last time they briefly reunited was in 2007 for a few shows, don't know exactly when the last one was, possibly Tuska festival in Finland?
    2012: 2093
    2015: 8671
    2016: 7515

2019 Wishlist:
    AHAB-Alcest-AbigailWilliams-AlienWeaponry-Borknagar-Candlemass-ClaudioSimonetti'sGoblin-Damnation'sDay-DavidMaximMicic-DiabloSwingOrchestra-MournfulCongregation-Om-ProphetsOfRage-Sevendust-Silvertomb-SleepTerror-SunnO)))-TheContortionist-VanCanto
    Evican
    Sub-Lieutenant

by Evican » Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:36 am

Immortal
    Illnath
    Aeternus
    Nehëmah
    Borknagar
    Melechesh

Any of those would suffice. :beerhorns:
    70K 2011 | 2012 | 2017 | 2018 | 2020
    2020 WISHLIST: Sulphur Aeon-Cripper-Carach Angren-Melechesh-Behemoth-Benighted-Epica-Negura Bunget-Disarmonia Mundi-Ex Deo-Into Eternity-Septicflesh-Nightrage-Emperor-Incantation-Necrophagist-Kalisia-Virgin Black
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Fri Jun 24, 2011 5:28 pm

Steve110 wrote:Kampfar (who I seriously can't stop listening to) but it's probably not gonna happen.

:lol: I feel like I may have had a hand in that one. Glad you like it!
    KevinP
    Commander

by KevinP » Fri Jun 24, 2011 5:38 pm

Steve110 wrote:Immortal is definitely the one band that is a) big enough to be onbroad and b) doesn't suck balls. We can wish for Drudkh or Blut Aus Nord or Kampfar (who I seriously can't stop listening to) but it's probably not gonna happen.

Does Blut Aus Nord even play live? That would be quite the strange performance I would think. Speaking of which, I'm still waiting for their CD to arrive in my mailbox anyday now.
    WISHLIST

BOLT THROWER / MADDER MORTEM / SEAR BLISS / AEON / THE AMENTA / AUTOPSY / MDB / THE 11th HOUR / HAIL OF BULLETS / DORDEDUH / TRIPTYKON / NE OBLIVISCARIS / PORTAL

The Viceroy of Vegemite
    Loather of Power Metal
    kjaxin
    Crewman

by kjaxin » Fri Jun 24, 2011 5:47 pm

I will type this one last time.

Inquisition and Watain :beerhorns:
    Bolt Thrower, Satyricon, Einherjer, Slumber, Yob, Inquisition, Unholy, Horna, Primordial, Melechesh, Goatwhore, October Tide, Rapture
    EvilDan
    Lieutenant

by EvilDan » Sat Jun 25, 2011 7:15 am

Having recently been to a show by Watain, I cannot imagine having that stench on the boat for 4-5 days. Sure they can play in the open, but they cart that blood around for weeks, and it takes weeks to get the smell out of a club. Hanging out with them before the show was great, but as their set got closer and closer, the smell got worse and worse. By the time Goatwhore was playing, it was unbearable. Then after the show, they tried to go to The Clubhouse (Vinnie Paul's strip club) without showering. Cool guys, but no thanks.

However, the lineup so far seems very heavy on the folk/doom/gothic side. (Yawn) So more thrash, death, and black would be appreciated.
    Never take anything I say seriously.

Am I Evil? I am Dan. Yes, I am! :twisted:
    kjaxin
    Crewman

by kjaxin » Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:32 am

[quote="EvilDan"]Having recently been to a show by Watain, I cannot imagine having that stench on the boat for 4-5 days. Sure they can play in the open, but they cart that blood around for weeks, and it takes weeks to get the smell out of a club. Hanging out with them before the show was great, but as their set got closer and closer, the smell got worse and worse. By the time Goatwhore was playing, it was unbearable. Then after the show, they tried to go to The Clubhouse (Vinnie Paul's strip club) without showering. Cool guys, but no thanks.

They can play in the main dining room if that is the case!!!! Im sure my wife would love it :P
    Bolt Thrower, Satyricon, Einherjer, Slumber, Yob, Inquisition, Unholy, Horna, Primordial, Melechesh, Goatwhore, October Tide, Rapture
    KevinP
    Commander

by KevinP » Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:19 am

Saw Waitain here last year and they didn't do the animal guts, which is good, because it's FUCKIN' STUPID. It was hard enough not to burst out laughing every 5 minutes with the goofy makeup/costumes and the candles, that resorting to a lame gimmick like that would have been too much to stomach. Then watching Eric pray to the little altar thingie was soo goofy. :lol:

I enjoy their music more than the standard black metal fare, but it's not something that gets me all "wet & giggly" at the end of the day.
    WISHLIST

The Viceroy of Vegemite
    Loather of Power Metal
  • Metalwrath

by Metalwrath » Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:59 am

Also don't bring any of those emo black metal bands who cut themslves on stage like 'Shining'
    kjaxin
    Crewman

by kjaxin » Sat Jun 25, 2011 1:48 pm

Interesting debate. I didn't know Shining sucked too? I only have one album (I think the latest and only recently discovered) which I mentioned in another post, I don't really know what "emo" is but they pretty much qualify as metal to me(I like them). What is Emo? I could Google it but I doubt I can get as good an explanation as I would on here.
    As far as black metal or perhaps metal in general, I guess I'm suggesting what I would consider top of the current game. While most on here desire old groups, I suppose I can understand that. Ive been out of the game a while and only recently (last couple years) full blown back to live music. Back patches and all that shit are new to me. It was reminiscent of the 80's for me when I saw people at MDF in all the garb. I went to a few things here and there but not since Joe's Garage in Texas and a few shitholes in Wichita Ks have I been on the scene. It feels like a revival. Other than that I have just been listening to new stuff solo, no metal head friends aside from clowns who like Godsmack type radio shit.
    kjaxin
    Crewman

by kjaxin » Sat Jun 25, 2011 1:54 pm

Metalwrath wrote:Also don't bring any of those emo black metal bands who cut themslves on stage like 'Shining'

Is that you in the picture? Looks like you are cutting yourself there.
  • Metalwrath

by Metalwrath » Sat Jun 25, 2011 2:47 pm

Out of curiosity how long were you out of the game if backpatches are new to you?
    They have been around for a long long time.Not just a couple of years.
    As for trying to cut myself?Yeah i was atcually about to slice my cock of at the time with sword cause i's cool :roll:

The whle emo comment was a joke in relation to the jokes that have gone on for years about emos singing and acting like they are depressed and suicidal.Hence where all the cutting themselves came from.They probaly don't do that but who knows.
    my coment about SHining was that the idiot cuts himself on stage to try and get atention.in my opinion a singer shouldn't need to do such stupid things on stage.Meerly singing well and giving more presence to the bands music in that way should be enough.
    Yet these idiots self inflict to try make the band more appealing.
    I remember at Wacken in 04 the singer of Mayhem thought it was a cool idea to cut himself.He bled so bad that they had to stop the gig about 20 mins early.
    Nothing cool about that.
    At the end of the day metal is a hobby for most musicians but if you are playing at festivals that people pay large amounts of money to attend to you might want to remember that they are supporting your music and not to see you act like a retard on stage.
    KevinP
    Commander

by KevinP » Sat Jun 25, 2011 2:54 pm

WISHLIST

The Viceroy of Vegemite
    Loather of Power Metal
  • Metalwrath

by Metalwrath » Sat Jun 25, 2011 3:14 pm

Think it's hillarious that someone actually thinks Venom are black metal.

Also surprised nobody mentioned Lord belial.
    kjaxin
    Crewman

by kjaxin » Sat Jun 25, 2011 3:24 pm

[quote="Metalwrath"]Out of curiosity how long were you out of the game if backpatches are new to you?
    They have been around for a long long time.Not just a couple of years.
    As for trying to cut myself?Yeah i was atcually about to slice my cock of at the time with sword cause i's cool :roll:

Well I can only speak for the states, mostly southern. The cut off jean jacket with the back patches is not new, well aware of that. Death metal bands didn't have that stuff back in the 90s. We all had the band shirts and that's about it. I don't think some jack off with an Iron Maiden patch would have fit in back then. I always correlated that look back to the Metallica/Slayer days. I'm not knocking it. Fucking go crazy for all I care. Happy to see it return. Metal studs and bullet belts and shit, go for it. I like the cock joke by the way. :lol: The emo crowd I would guess are the decedents of the goth scene?
  • Metalwrath

by Metalwrath » Sat Jun 25, 2011 4:15 pm

There are a lot of differnt views on the gothic scene so you can't really judge.
    There are those who relate gothic metal towards mostly female fronted music.Dressing in a fashion that is related to that era in history and so is the music like a soft variation of metal but stil with historical musical themes and lyrics.
    Then you have the other kind of goths who think that being a goth is all about looking like one of those gay guys from Twighlight or wearing somje kind of gimp clothing or man skirts and listening to Dance/techno with the occsional guita riff here and there and try and pass it off as metal.
    Bleh i'm drunk and food arrived.My drunken wisdom shall have to wait for another night.
    kjaxin
    Crewman

by kjaxin » Sat Jun 25, 2011 4:44 pm

Although I didn't get into any goth after I matured a bit. I was able to revisit bands like The Cure and shit. Have to admit, I was a little harsh on those "fags". Having evolved with Katatonia and Opeth I like my music a little depressing most of the time. It balances my clown like ways. Ive since warmed up to just about everything. Lacrimosa was even cool for a while. I already ate and beers at home taste just as sweet when a keg is on tap :P ...
    MadameLePink
    Sub-Lieutenant

by MadameLePink » Sat Jun 25, 2011 4:50 pm

Metalwrath wrote:There are a lot of differnt views on the gothic scene so you can't really judge.
    There are those who relate gothic metal towards mostly female fronted music.Dressing in a fashion that is related to that era in history and so is the music like a soft variation of metal but stil with historical musical themes and lyrics.
    Then you have the other kind of goths who think that being a goth is all about looking like one of those gay guys from Twighlight or wearing somje kind of gimp clothing or man skirts and listening to Dance/techno with the occsional guita riff here and there and try and pass it off as metal.
    Bleh i'm drunk and food arrived.My drunken wisdom shall have to wait for another night.

Hmm...There's a big difference between goth and gothic metal and the same difference between goth and ebm/techno. No one in the goth scene is trying to be metal in any way. People just tend to put everything in the same box which is quite annoying especially because they don't know what they are not talking about. And it's quite typical for metalheads to label goths as gays. That's fucking annoying actually :evil:
    Wishlist 2013: Finntroll, Ensiferum, Septic Flesh, Primordial, Powerwolf, Heidevolk, Insomnium, Kalmah, Equilibrium, Skull Fist, Chthonic

Beer and bananas!
  • portharbor
    Crewman

by portharbor » Sun Jun 26, 2011 4:26 pm

Metalwrath are there any black metal band's you like or you just to kvlt to like band's?

I'd love to see Watain provided they left the animal gut' on the dock. It's not like we can leave the ship to get away from that rancid smell. I'd also love to see Shining! I can't imagine Kvarforth's knife collection making it through custom's though or him making it through the cruise without committing suicide.
Post Reply 93 posts