Post Reply 123 posts
I Love You Guys
    Ecliptica
    Ensign

I Love You Guys

by Ecliptica » Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:44 am

Like most of you, I'm currently standing in line waiting to return to the real world do hopefully this post on my phone does my thoughts some justice.
    Title says it all -- I friggin' love you guys. This year was like a high school reunion and I already told Andy this, but UMC crew -- thank you for creating THIS. We come together from 55 countries and no matter our taste in metal, we have become a family. What we have is amazing, from 'sooooon' to 'your boat sucks' to karaoke, you are all my favorite people.
    This was the best birthday ever and thank you all for celebrating it with me. I'll post more once back on land, but just want everyone to know how special you are all to me.

::tear::

Add me on Facebook/tag me in all photos/videos since I'm not a picture-taker and rely on you for the memories -- Facebook.com/gclayman
    X-Thor
    Lieutenant

Re: I Love You Guys

by X-Thor » Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:12 am

I second this.

I had an amazing time, and, really, it was thanks to you people. I come to reality with hundreds of pictures (I'll tag you, Greg, don't worry), some merch, considerably less money, a few picks and sticks, but over all I come with AWESOME memories and many new friends. Finally being able to join a "Your boat sucks" chant, playing flip-cup with Fabio Lione (and beating his ass), karaoke nights to the chair pit and many mosh pits. It was awesome. You are all awesome persons. Know that you have a friend in me.

And to the UMC crew, like I told Allison last night, you guys are AMAZING. I can't think of a better crew for the fest. I really thank you for all you do.
    70K 2013 SURVIVOR (Cabin 2120)
    70K 2014 SURVIVOR (Cabin 2565)

In perpetual post-cruise depression/pre-cruise anxiety.

Doing my best to be there for 2015.
    --
    Wishlist: Blind Guardian and Saurom. Will probably like 90%+ of the bands onbroad anyway.
    Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:37 am

X-Thor wrote:I second this.

I had an amazing time, and, really, it was thanks to you people. I come to reality with hundreds of pictures (I'll tag you, Greg, don't worry), some merch, considerably less money, a few picks and sticks, but over all I come with AWESOME memories and many new friends. Finally being able to join a "Your boat sucks" chant, playing flip-cup with Fabio Lione (and beating his ass), karaoke nights to the chair pit and many mosh pits. It was awesome. You are all awesome persons. Know that you have a friend in me.

And to the UMC crew, like I told Allison last night, you guys are AMAZING. I can't think of a better crew for the fest. I really thank you for all you do.

X-Thor - so great to hear you had a fantastic time and now you know first hand what so many of us go on and on about endlessly - about how the awesome the cruise is! :cheers:

Which begs the question - does anyone know of ANYONE who actually went on one of the four UMC cruises and didn't like it??
    2009-Wacken-2010-Wacken-2011-70K-Lollapalooza-HoleInTheSky-2012-70K-ColdWaves-2013-Lollapalooza-ColdWaves-2014-ProgNationAtSea-Pitchfork-RiotFest-ColdWaves-2015-RockLegendsCruise-CruiseToTheEdge-2016-ChicagoOpenAir-2017-70K!!
    cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:09 am

Lol I doubt it Laura!!

Great to finally see you Greg!! Glad you had a great birthday!!

I will have heaps of photos and videos to upload when I get back home :)
    Upcoming Gigs:
    Wolves-In-The-Throne-Room-/-Halestorm-/-70K
    2020 Wishlist
    Almanac-/-Ancient-Bards-/-Atlas-Pain-/-Avantasia-/-Battlelore-/-Beast-In-Black-/-Believer-/-Bloodbound-/-Brothers-of-Metal-/-Civil-War-/-Circus-Maximus-/-Claymorean-/-Dark-Moor-/-Dark-Sarah-/-Demons-&-Wizards-/-Diabulus-In-Musica-/-Edguy-/-Elvenking-/-Ex-Libris-/-Exit-Eden-/-Frozen-Crown-/-Galderia-/-Heavatar-/-In-This-Moment-/-Jaldaboath-/-Kaledon-/-Kalidia-/-Living-Sacrifice-/-Magnum-/-Metalite-/-Neopera-/-Orden-Ogan-/-Pathfinder-/-Poisonblack-/-Powerwolf-/-The-Privateer-/-Pythia-/-Ravenia-/-Revamp-/-Running-Wild-/-Serenity-/-Sleeping-Romance-/-Sojourner-/-Tarot-/-Ten-/-Thaurorod-/-The-Dark-Element-/-The-Skull-/-Tourniquet-/-Trick-or-Treat-/-Trillium-/-Unisonic-/-Valhalore-/-Within-Temptation
    X-Thor
    Lieutenant

by X-Thor » Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:45 pm

cowboy71 wrote:Lol I doubt it Laura!!

Great to finally see you Greg!! Glad you had a great birthday!!

I will have heaps of photos and videos to upload when I get back home :)

I have literally hundreds of photos to upload. I hope to do so during the week. Will let you all know. :)

Laura wrote:
    X-Thor wrote:I second this.

X-Thor - so great to hear you had a fantastic time and now you know first hand what so many of us go on and on about endlessly - about how the awesome the cruise is! :cheers:

Which begs the question - does anyone know of ANYONE who actually went on one of the four UMC cruises and didn't like it??

Thank you, Laura! It is a shame you weren't there, I'd really like to meet you sometime. Well, time will tell.

WHY ISN'T THE GROUND MOVING BENEATH ME???? My body is confused.
    70K 2013 SURVIVOR (Cabin 2120)
    70K 2014 SURVIVOR (Cabin 2565)

In perpetual post-cruise depression/pre-cruise anxiety.

Doing my best to be there for 2015.
    --
    Wishlist: Blind Guardian and Saurom. Will probably like 90%+ of the bands onbroad anyway.
    Daenerys
    Midshipman

by Daenerys » Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:57 pm

Ecliptica wrote:Title says it all -- I friggin' love you guys. This year was like a high school reunion and I already told Andy this, but UMC crew -- thank you for creating THIS. We come together from 55 countries and no matter our taste in metal, we have become a family. What we have is amazing, from 'sooooon' to 'your boat sucks' to karaoke, you are all my favorite people.
    This was the best birthday ever and thank you all for celebrating it with me. I'll post more once back on land, but just want everyone to know how special you are all to me.

Thanks for posting this Greg; it is is EXACTLY how I feel. When I was talking to my mom today, I told her how nice it was to see all the friends I hadn't seen in so long. She said, "Friends? You see these people once a year, I would call them acquaintances, not friends". I totally read her a riot act after that. It's not just the salmiakki candies, beer mustaches, stroopwaffels, shared illicit booze, and learning how to say "Cheers!" in ten different languages. I've never received and given SO many hugs as I did on the boat this year. Even people I had never met before, like the very nice Swedish girl I randomly talked to for an hour in the Viking Crown Lounge, gave me a hug when she saw me the following day. It was just so beautiful to see everyone again; I can't count the number of times I'd turn to Brian and say "I just love our metal family!" Thank all of you so much for making this my most memorable cruise so far! :D
    I want what we've never had!

Hypocrisy-IHSAHN-Primordial-GrandMagus-Powerwolf-Myrath-Hell-Opeth-Borknagar-Leprous-SteelPanther-Voyager
    rootleaf
    Petty Officer

by rootleaf » Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:20 pm

I'll say the same. Despite the lineup being pretty weak for a lot of us this year really reinforced that for a lot of this trip is more about stepping into the shared continuum that we all share as people who love metal and love the experience of meeting others on the same thought wave. I don't think it would be optimistic to say that everyone had more non-music specific memories than music specific ones. I know I did.

I enjoyed meeting so many new friends and adding to existing ones. The only thing I could ask for is for them to reunite the two cruises so we don't have to leave so many people out of the fun.

I could say more but having trouble expressing my thoughts from a phone in an airport bar.
    Feanorgandalf
    Chief Petty Officer

by Feanorgandalf » Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:51 pm

I get on the forums this evening and I just want to cry. I can't help but reminisce to last years 70k and the blast that I had on it. It really sucks I couldn't make it this year. I do have to thank the UMC people though for putting this together. Something about 2000 people compared to the 50,000 you get at some of the Europe festivals. It seems more personable and instead of being lost in the crowd you feel like it's hanging out with a bunch of friends you just met. I can't wait to get my ass on that boat again and party it up.
    SHMILY123
    Oiler

by SHMILY123 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:29 pm

I just have to take this opportunity to say "THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH" to everyone on the forum who reassured and encouraged me to book this trip! Initially I booked this as a surprise for my husband who I knew would LOVE this trip. My goal was to just make it through the week as I am not as into the "metal scene" as he is. We are back home now and I have to say, this was the best vacation I have EVER taken. If I didn't know better, I might say I enjoyed it more than Dustin did. We met awesome people, listened to awesome music, ate great food, were taken care of by an incredibly attentive staff, and overall spent five days having a great time! I can't think of one thing I didn't like about this trip, and I would do it again in a heart beat! So, thank you again to everyone for the push to book...thanks to you all, Dustin and I have created some incredible memories! :headbanger:
    rootleaf
    Petty Officer

by rootleaf » Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:38 pm

Feanorgandalf wrote:I get on the forums this evening and I just want to cry. I can't help but reminisce to last years 70k and the blast that I had on it. It really sucks I couldn't make it this year. I do have to thank the UMC people though for putting this together. Something about 2000 people compared to the 50,000 you get at some of the Europe festivals. It seems more personable and instead of being lost in the crowd you feel like it's hanging out with a bunch of friends you just met. I can't wait to get my ass on that boat again and party it up.

Post-cruise depression is real. :). Hard to not be melancholy when kicked back into real life. Made some very special connections this year and it is harder this year than last year even.
    doomguy
    Sub-Lieutenant

by doomguy » Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:36 pm

Laura wrote:X-Thor - so great to hear you had a fantastic time and now you know first hand what so many of us go on and on about endlessly - about how the awesome the cruise is! :cheers:

I had a terrible time last year, Bill Humphrey kept bumming me out.. jackass. He ruined my trip.

And am I the only one that thinks the "your boat sucks!" chant is stupid?
    2012: 2093
    2015: 8671
    2016: 7515

2019 Wishlist:
    AHAB-Alcest-AbigailWilliams-AlienWeaponry-Borknagar-Candlemass-ClaudioSimonetti'sGoblin-Damnation'sDay-DavidMaximMicic-DiabloSwingOrchestra-MournfulCongregation-Om-ProphetsOfRage-Sevendust-Silvertomb-SleepTerror-SunnO)))-TheContortionist-VanCanto
    DrinkMoxie
    Commander

by DrinkMoxie » Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:00 pm

Conrad wrote:
    Laura wrote:X-Thor - so great to hear you had a fantastic time and now you know first hand what so many of us go on and on about endlessly - about how the awesome the cruise is! :cheers:

I had a terrible time last year, Bill Humphrey kept bumming me out.. jackass. He ruined my trip.

And am I the only one that thinks the "your boat sucks!" chant is stupid?

bumming everybody out was so much fun... you loved it!
    Borknagar-Powerwolf-FolkEarth-Metalachi-GreenCarnation-Atoma-JulieLaughsNomore-Skyfire-BlackKirin-Shangren-WitheredBeauty-...AndOceans-Hypocrisy-Nightfall-Gardenian-AblazeMySorrow-WithoutGrief-ACanorousQuintet-BurdenOfGrief-Excretion-CardinalSin-CallenishCircle-InThyDreams-EternalLies-Miscreant-Eucharist-BuriedDreams-Shadow-Amsvartner-EbonyTears-ManipulatedSlaves-NailWithin-Flying-Dispatched-NeglectedFields-LegionOfTheDamned-CarnalForge-Gojira-RiverBlack-CarBomb-Damaged-Xentrix-LakeOfTears-Neurosis-Conjurer-Minsk-Mindrot-Morgion-EyesOfFire-DestroyJudas-Dyscarnate-Exhorder-Onslaught-Sargon-Sacrifice-Sodom-Darkane-Nothnegal-TheCrown-CeremonialOath-SinsOfOmission-EternalTearsOfSorrow-Sigh-Whispered-Jaldaboath-DescendIntoNothingness-CrestOfDarkness-Carcariass-In~Quest-Anata-Bal*Sagoth-Witherscape-DimensionZero-MentalHome-Myrath-Illogicist-Hacride-Acrassicauda-Impious-NightInGales-EndOfGreen-SpiralArchitect-EphelDuath-Nostromo-DimensionF3H-RedHarvest-Vinterland-Heidevolk-GreenJello-Pist*On-Zimmer'sHole-Trepalium-Vintersorg-UnleashTheArchers-SamBlackChurch-Downpour-SevendayCurse-GreySkiesFallen-DaylightDies-MyHiddenSin-ThisEnding-FrostGiant-TheAbsence-LightThisCity-Dagon-ConditionCritical-GospelOfTheWitches-BlackEarth-FrostyEve-MeadowsEnd-ComposMentis-InThousandLakes-TheZephyr-FragmentsOfUnbecoming-Seducer'sEmbrace-TheExcrementoryGrindfuckers-Whitesnake-WhiteZombie-SkidRow(w/SebastianBach)-AtTheGates-Atheist-DevinTownsend-Emperor-Haggard-Candlemass-OrphanedLand-Wintersun

cabin 3013 (2012)
    cabin 9560 (2014)
    cabin 8671 (2015)
    cabin 7313 (2017)
    cabin 6525 (2018)
    DrinkMoxie
    Commander

by DrinkMoxie » Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:03 pm

Daenerys wrote:
    Ecliptica wrote:Title says it all -- I friggin' love you guys. This year was like a high school reunion and I already told Andy this, but UMC crew -- thank you for creating THIS. We come together from 55 countries and no matter our taste in metal, we have become a family. What we have is amazing, from 'sooooon' to 'your boat sucks' to karaoke, you are all my favorite people.

Thanks for posting this Greg; it is is EXACTLY how I feel. When I was talking to my mom today, I told her how nice it was to see all the friends I hadn't seen in so long. She said, "Friends? You see these people once a year, I would call them acquaintances, not friends". I totally read her a riot act after that. It's not just the salmiakki candies, beer mustaches, stroopwaffels, shared illicit booze, and learning how to say "Cheers!" in ten different languages. I've never received and given SO many hugs as I did on the boat this year. Even people I had never met before, like the very nice Swedish girl I randomly talked to for an hour in the Viking Crown Lounge, gave me a hug when she saw me the following day. It was just so beautiful to see everyone again; I can't count the number of times I'd turn to Brian and say "I just love our metal family!" Thank all of you so much for making this my most memorable cruise so far! :D

believe it or not, you're an exceptionally friendly human person, and are thoroughly likable! I remember last year, you and Brian felt like long time friends after having only just met hours earlier!
    Borknagar-Powerwolf-FolkEarth-Metalachi-GreenCarnation-Atoma-JulieLaughsNomore-Skyfire-BlackKirin-Shangren-WitheredBeauty-...AndOceans-Hypocrisy-Nightfall-Gardenian-AblazeMySorrow-WithoutGrief-ACanorousQuintet-BurdenOfGrief-Excretion-CardinalSin-CallenishCircle-InThyDreams-EternalLies-Miscreant-Eucharist-BuriedDreams-Shadow-Amsvartner-EbonyTears-ManipulatedSlaves-NailWithin-Flying-Dispatched-NeglectedFields-LegionOfTheDamned-CarnalForge-Gojira-RiverBlack-CarBomb-Damaged-Xentrix-LakeOfTears-Neurosis-Conjurer-Minsk-Mindrot-Morgion-EyesOfFire-DestroyJudas-Dyscarnate-Exhorder-Onslaught-Sargon-Sacrifice-Sodom-Darkane-Nothnegal-TheCrown-CeremonialOath-SinsOfOmission-EternalTearsOfSorrow-Sigh-Whispered-Jaldaboath-DescendIntoNothingness-CrestOfDarkness-Carcariass-In~Quest-Anata-Bal*Sagoth-Witherscape-DimensionZero-MentalHome-Myrath-Illogicist-Hacride-Acrassicauda-Impious-NightInGales-EndOfGreen-SpiralArchitect-EphelDuath-Nostromo-DimensionF3H-RedHarvest-Vinterland-Heidevolk-GreenJello-Pist*On-Zimmer'sHole-Trepalium-Vintersorg-UnleashTheArchers-SamBlackChurch-Downpour-SevendayCurse-GreySkiesFallen-DaylightDies-MyHiddenSin-ThisEnding-FrostGiant-TheAbsence-LightThisCity-Dagon-ConditionCritical-GospelOfTheWitches-BlackEarth-FrostyEve-MeadowsEnd-ComposMentis-InThousandLakes-TheZephyr-FragmentsOfUnbecoming-Seducer'sEmbrace-TheExcrementoryGrindfuckers-Whitesnake-WhiteZombie-SkidRow(w/SebastianBach)-AtTheGates-Atheist-DevinTownsend-Emperor-Haggard-Candlemass-OrphanedLand-Wintersun

cabin 3013 (2012)
    cabin 9560 (2014)
    cabin 8671 (2015)
    cabin 7313 (2017)
    cabin 6525 (2018)
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:43 pm

Really, really tired since I pulled the all-nighter for the final cruise night so can't say too much coherently (I know I can't when well-rested too so shaddup):

I love this family! It's a shame we can't see each other more often. Hopefully more forum meetups will happen in the future.

Had a fantastic time on the cruise and it was so great to spend time with you all yet again. I can't wait to do it some more.

Andy made a comment while we were all hanging out during karaoke last night about how this type of brotherhood/familial relationship is how metal is supposed to be. Can't recall his exact words.
    I should get around to updating my signature
    doomguy
    Sub-Lieutenant

by doomguy » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:17 pm

mooyagi wrote:Andy made a comment while we were all hanging out during karaoke last night about how this type of brotherhood/familial relationship is how metal is supposed to be. Can't recall his exact words.

:cheers:

2019 Wishlist:
    AHAB-Alcest-AbigailWilliams-AlienWeaponry-Borknagar-Candlemass-ClaudioSimonetti'sGoblin-Damnation'sDay-DavidMaximMicic-DiabloSwingOrchestra-MournfulCongregation-Om-ProphetsOfRage-Sevendust-Silvertomb-SleepTerror-SunnO)))-TheContortionist-VanCanto
    Stained Class
    Commander

by Stained Class » Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:28 am

mooyagi wrote:Andy made a comment while we were all hanging out during karaoke last night about how this type of brotherhood/familial relationship is how metal is supposed to be. Can't recall his exact words.

Lepond said something along those lines too

Daenerys wrote:She said, "Friends? You see these people once a year, I would call them acquaintances, not friends"

That's one of the most daft things I've ever heard. I consider most of you guys better friends than most of my "friends". :mrgreen:

Cheers guys, I love you all, I'm exhausted. :lol: I seriously can't put into words what I'm feeling/thinking right now. I almost cried on the flight home because this experience was just so amazing. I wanna go on this every year for the rest of my life and have the exact same people on it every damn time!
    9 time cruiser

I'm in a band
    www.facebook.com/Apprenticemetal

I run a festival
    https://www.facebook.com/events/2854966994515383
    Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:40 am

X-Thor wrote:
    Thank you, Laura! It is a shame you weren't there, I'd really like to meet you sometime. Well, time will tell.

You're welcome, and thanks. :beerwink: I saw on fb you posted a picture with Margie - my roomie for last year's cruise and one of my favorite peeps!! The fact that Margie & met via this forum initially and then in person on the first 70K is an example about the cool connections that have happened between people because of the cruise. When she lived in Chicago long ago, (we discovered) we went to some of the same gigs and yet never knew each other back then...and that is just one of many similaries and commonalities we share from our respective pasts. And in the year 2010 we met on this forum and it has been so great knowing her! Oh, I could go on and on about connections..... :D
    2009-Wacken-2010-Wacken-2011-70K-Lollapalooza-HoleInTheSky-2012-70K-ColdWaves-2013-Lollapalooza-ColdWaves-2014-ProgNationAtSea-Pitchfork-RiotFest-ColdWaves-2015-RockLegendsCruise-CruiseToTheEdge-2016-ChicagoOpenAir-2017-70K!!
    Blackfhyre
    Ensign

by Blackfhyre » Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:46 am

Very well said. Please do the same for me in all pictures. Add me too if ya want
    https://www.facebook.com/Innocent.Exile
    Demons&Wizards-RhapsodyReunion-Slayer-Sevendust-AshesofAres-StarOne-Ayreon-DVDA-SevenKingdoms-CivilWar-Falconer-KillingMachine-Avantasia-Hollenthon-LucasRhapsody-MacGyverMetal-ElvenKing-PaulDiAnno-BlayzeBailey-Twilightning-HammerKing-CainsOffering-AllenLande-BlackMages-PagansMind-UnleashtheArchers-AdrenalineMob-SilentAssasins-SonsofLiberty-Pyramaze-IamI-KnightoftheRound-ShadowsFall-Mastadon-Down-XJapan-IronFire-HumanFortress-Unisonic-Axenstar-Myrath-BlackMajesty-Heimdall-Stormwind-NeverLand-Fairyland-GhostMachinery-RunningWild-Yngwie-RiveraBomma-SavageCircus-DreamTheater-ToxicHalocaust-Bumblefoot-Dalriada-Havok-Revamp-AxelRudiPell-Hevisaurus-Savatage-SevenWitches-Accept-KSE-EricCaldone
    Sabaton-SymphonyX-BlindGuardian-Rage-Refuge-GloryHammer-Epica-Firewind-GammaRay-Hammerfall-IcedEarth-JagPanzer-Stratovarius-Tyr-Turisas-TwilightForce-Tsjuder-Dragonforce-Overkill-Edguy-Evergrey-Whiplash-MetalChurch-Heidevolk-Helloween-Ensiferum-Helstar-Wintersun-PrimalFear-Alestorm-SonataArctica-Arkona-Finntroll-FreedomCall-RisingStorm-CircleIICircle-AmonAmarth-Kreator-Nervosa-VisionsofAtlantis--Crowbar-Nightwish-Flotsam&Jetsam-Cripper-Izegrim-HolyMoses-Haggard-Nekrogoblikon-Poltergeist-MunicipalWaste-Bodom-Raven-Soilwork-Swashbuckle-HolyGrail-InFlames-Onslaught-3Inches
    IV
    2011 Survivor
    2012 Survivor
    2013 Cockburn Survivor
    2014 Survivor
    2015 Survivor
    2016 No Sleep
    2017 Survivor
    2018 9553
    Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:05 am

rootleaf wrote:
    Feanorgandalf wrote:I get on the forums this evening and I just want to cry. I can't help but reminisce to last years 70k and the blast that I had on it. It really sucks I couldn't make it this year. I do have to thank the UMC people though for putting this together. Something about 2000 people compared to the 50,000 you get at some of the Europe festivals. It seems more personable and instead of being lost in the crowd you feel like it's hanging out with a bunch of friends you just met. I can't wait to get my ass on that boat again and party it up.

Post-cruise depression is real. :). Hard to not be melancholy when kicked back into real life. Made some very special connections this year and it is harder this year than last year even.

rootleaf - maybe that is one positive from not going on the cruise (or "sitting one or more out") - that one does not experience post-cruise depression if one was not there! ;) :lol: But, seriously - I "feel your pain" because I remember how difficult it was to say good-bye to everyone and then miss them. ;) And also to Feanorgandalf - I understand where you're coming from as well, but I have to be honest....that if I lamented everything I couldn't but wanted to do in my life, I think I'd be an emotional wreck. ;) The way I look at it, I'm content with the great experiences I manage to have. (which is a lot! :D ) Plus, there is always a next time. :cheers:
    Blackfhyre
    Ensign

by Blackfhyre » Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:49 am

Stained Class wrote: I wanna go on this every year for the rest of my life and have the exact same people on it every damn time!

Me and the wife will be on every single 70k without a doubt
    Demons&Wizards-RhapsodyReunion-Slayer-Sevendust-AshesofAres-StarOne-Ayreon-DVDA-SevenKingdoms-CivilWar-Falconer-KillingMachine-Avantasia-Hollenthon-LucasRhapsody-MacGyverMetal-ElvenKing-PaulDiAnno-BlayzeBailey-Twilightning-HammerKing-CainsOffering-AllenLande-BlackMages-PagansMind-UnleashtheArchers-AdrenalineMob-SilentAssasins-SonsofLiberty-Pyramaze-IamI-KnightoftheRound-ShadowsFall-Mastadon-Down-XJapan-IronFire-HumanFortress-Unisonic-Axenstar-Myrath-BlackMajesty-Heimdall-Stormwind-NeverLand-Fairyland-GhostMachinery-RunningWild-Yngwie-RiveraBomma-SavageCircus-DreamTheater-ToxicHalocaust-Bumblefoot-Dalriada-Havok-Revamp-AxelRudiPell-Hevisaurus-Savatage-SevenWitches-Accept-KSE-EricCaldone
    Sabaton-SymphonyX-BlindGuardian-Rage-Refuge-GloryHammer-Epica-Firewind-GammaRay-Hammerfall-IcedEarth-JagPanzer-Stratovarius-Tyr-Turisas-TwilightForce-Tsjuder-Dragonforce-Overkill-Edguy-Evergrey-Whiplash-MetalChurch-Heidevolk-Helloween-Ensiferum-Helstar-Wintersun-PrimalFear-Alestorm-SonataArctica-Arkona-Finntroll-FreedomCall-RisingStorm-CircleIICircle-AmonAmarth-Kreator-Nervosa-VisionsofAtlantis--Crowbar-Nightwish-Flotsam&Jetsam-Cripper-Izegrim-HolyMoses-Haggard-Nekrogoblikon-Poltergeist-MunicipalWaste-Bodom-Raven-Soilwork-Swashbuckle-HolyGrail-InFlames-Onslaught-3Inches
    IV
    2011 Survivor
    2012 Survivor
    2013 Cockburn Survivor
    2014 Survivor
    2015 Survivor
    2016 No Sleep
    2017 Survivor
    2018 9553
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:35 am

Stained Class wrote:
    Daenerys wrote:She said, "Friends? You see these people once a year, I would call them acquaintances, not friends"

That's one of the most daft things I've ever heard. I consider most of you guys better friends than most of my "friends". :mrgreen:

If someone asks me what I'm doing while posting on these forums I always reply, "Hanging out with friends." It's amazing how close I feel to so many people here despite how rarely we see each other. You guys rock.
  • Hannie81
    Wiper

by Hannie81 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:29 pm

This vacation quite frankly pisses all over, from a great height, every trip I've ever been on. And the fact I can say that after arriving in Miami on Sunday not knowing a soul, is testament to how awesome the 70k cruisers are, so thanks everyone I met!

I know what others are saying about the post-cruise downer though. Going back to the 9 to 5 on Monday is going to be so painful after all that fun with new friends, great shows, glorious sunshine, truly prodigious amounts of booze, getting to meet my actual rockstar heroes, and one or two episodes of debauchery that no power on this earth could make me tell anyone at home about!

How on earth do you top all that??? I guess I'm coming back next year to find out :cheers:
    2013 Survivor (3536)
    2014 Survivor (4537)

Wishlist: Can we keep the girly bands to an absolute minimum please?
    scyll
    Petty Officer

by scyll » Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:35 pm

The lineup wasn't exactly stellar this year, even though in my tastes it was better than last years'. But what really made 70K 2013 the best one to date for me is the overall mood of everyone on the boat, I felt people were a lot more energic during the shows, and were even friendlier than the previous cruise I attended (2012).

Top moments this year:

- Having Andy announcing immediately 70K 2014 at the end of the Sabaton gig, just before the epic pool dive; it was just incredible: we don't have to wait and see if there's gonna be a new cruise, we just have to start saving money for it. It will certainly help for some people's post cruise depression!
    - Ensiferum dedicating a song to Laura (Madame LePink) was truly moving.
    - Meeting some fellow Quebeckers and creating new friendships.
    - Realizing Gnoff is one hell of a nice guy!
    - The All-star jam. I think many of us don't realize yet how lucky we are to see such legends playing together, it was incredible.
    - Sabaton x 1 000. I had never seen them live, now I'll never ever miss them again when they tour near my city.

There are so many more... Thanks to all for the great memories, see you in 359 days!! :bangers:
  • Disco
    Chief Petty Officer

by Disco » Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:03 pm

X-Thor wrote:WHY ISN'T THE GROUND MOVING BENEATH ME???? My body is confused.

Mine too buddy. Mine too.
    Melloboat - 2008
    70k Tons - 2011
    70k Tons - 2013
    70k Tons - 2018
    Blackfhyre
    Ensign

by Blackfhyre » Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:22 pm

Disco wrote:
    X-Thor wrote:WHY ISN'T THE GROUND MOVING BENEATH ME???? My body is confused.

Mine too buddy. Mine too.

The ground is still moving beneath me
    IV
    2011 Survivor
    2012 Survivor
    2013 Cockburn Survivor
    2014 Survivor
    2015 Survivor
    2016 No Sleep
    2017 Survivor
    2018 9553
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:27 pm

gnoff_the_creep wrote:
    scyll wrote:Top moments this year:

- Realizing Gnoff is one hell of a nice guy!

Yay, I'm a nice guy :D

Could've fooled me :beerwink:
    rootleaf
    Petty Officer

by rootleaf » Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:38 pm

Laura wrote:
    rootleaf - maybe that is one positive from not going on the cruise (or "sitting one or more out") - that one does not experience post-cruise depression if one was not there! ;) :lol: But, seriously - I "feel your pain" because I remember how difficult it was to say good-bye to everyone and then miss them. ;) And also to Feanorgandalf - I understand where you're coming from as well, but I have to be honest....that if I lamented everything I couldn't but wanted to do in my life, I think I'd be an emotional wreck. ;) The way I look at it, I'm content with the great experiences I manage to have. (which is a lot! :D ) Plus, there is always a next time. :cheers:

Since you didn't make it, you need to have something to tell yourself for not making it I guess. :mrgreen: I missed the first year, but that was before I knew what i was missing.
    I don't know that I can miss it again this year. The only problem would be that I can't do two a year most likely, so that would mean I have to pick one or the other again.
    Last edited by rootleaf on Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    KDibildeaux
    Captain

by KDibildeaux » Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:02 pm

I love all of yousssss! It was so much fun and you're all great! I wish we could all see each other more often, as our time on the boat is way too short. Cheers and I hope to see you all next year :heavydrink:
    La sabiduría me persigue................pero yo soy más rápida
    Mal2000
    Chief Petty Officer

by Mal2000 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:05 pm

I love all of you guys. I missed 70k 2013 but will be back on next Barge.
    70K 2012, Barge to Hell, 70K 2014, 70K 2016, 70K 2018, 70K 2019
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:12 pm

gnoff_the_creep wrote:I wonder if making the cruise a week would result in more fun, or just bigger holes in our pockets and even worse condition of the health once back?

I think the length of time is fine as is. It's already a bit of a marathon to get through the four days. I actually wouldn't mind dropping a few bands for future cruises so it's easier to get some time off for food/friends/sleep. Our Tuesday was jam packed with shows. Starting later or ending earlier in the morning would be good for me.
    Nighty
    Crewman

by Nighty » Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:00 pm

So. My first 70k cruise is over. Now, I've got a big problem. Before the cruise startet I said I wanna do this only once. During the cruise I promised several guys to come back. And my parents told me as a child to keep all my promises ;)

Unfortunately I haven't met all of the forumites. But the guys I talked to were all great: Cpt Alex (who were always in the first row at every show we met), gnoff (cool guy but we surely gotta talk about your choice of karaoke songs ;) ), Hector, Alex, Ville, Marlo and the pirate Captain Deborah :mrgreen:

I also talked to people from Mexico, Sweden, Argentina, Canada, Japan, Italy, Finland, Greece. It was unbelievable.

Band experience:

- Shared the hotel with Die Apokalyptischen Reiter
    - Shared the elevator with a wet and swimsuit-dressed Charlotte Wessels (Delain) - highlight :cool:
    - talked with Andrea (Lacuna Coil) about soccer...too bad we (germany) can't beat Italy
    - talked with Nic Maeder (Gotthard) about those rock band from Switzerland which begans with an G. Too bad he never had the chance to see them live. He always gotta work when they play in a venue near him ;)
    - my cabin mate talked with Joakim (Sabaton) about music...on the toilet :mrgreen:

So, I don't know if the other boats sucks, but this boat surely rules :deathhorns:
    70k 2013 - Cabin 2526
    70k 2014 - Cabin 4523
    70k 2015 - Cabin 3254
    70k 2016 - Deck 8
    Ecliptica
    Ensign

by Ecliptica » Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:18 pm

Nighty wrote:- my cabin mate talked with Joakim (Sabaton) about music...on the toilet :mrgreen:

I took a piss next to Peavy from Rage in the urinals outside the Windjammer.

I was so tempted to creep him out and be like: "HEY! NICE DICK!" but I decided better of it :cool: :cool:
    Nighty
    Crewman

by Nighty » Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:26 pm

Yeah. Maybe it's better to save these words for some guys who are not as big as Peavy, cause he can get it wrong :mrgreen:
    70k 2013 - Cabin 2526
    70k 2014 - Cabin 4523
    70k 2015 - Cabin 3254
    70k 2016 - Deck 8
    doomguy
    Sub-Lieutenant

by doomguy » Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:57 pm

Ecliptica wrote:
    Nighty wrote:- my cabin mate talked with Joakim (Sabaton) about music...on the toilet :mrgreen:

I took a piss next to Peavy from Rage in the urinals outside the Windjammer.

I was so tempted to creep him out and be like: "HEY! NICE DICK!" but I decided better of it :cool: :cool:

:lol:
    Did his pubes look like a Bonsai tree?

2019 Wishlist:
    Goddess of Metal
    Sub-Lieutenant

by Goddess of Metal » Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:54 am

You are a special bunch of peeps! Love you guys! Had such a blast hanging out with everyone. I will see you again next year. :heavydrink:

In the mean time we need more Skype parties. :cheers:

A.K.A Margie Metalho

2019 - Deck 7
    2018 - Deck 6
    2017 - Deck 6
    2016 - Deck 6
    2015 - Deck 7
    2014 - Deck 2
    2013 - Deck 2
    2012 - Deck 2 on Barge
    2012 - Deck 2
    2011 - Deck.3

Wishlist:
    Abbath-/-Agalloch-/-Allen–Lande-/-Almanac-/-Alestorm-/-Ancient.Bards-/-Arcturus-/-Avantasia-/-Axenstar-/-Beast.in.Black-/-Battle.Beast-/-Black.Fate-/-Blind.Guardian-/-Borknagar-/-Cain’s.Offering-/-Cruachan-/-Dark.Moor-/-Demons.and.Wizards-/-Diablo.Swing.Orchestra-/-Dragonland-/-Dimmu.Borgir-/-Dream.Evil-/-Elvenking-/-Edguy-/-Ex.Deo-/-Equilibrium-/-Fairyland-/-Finntroll-/-Fleshgod.Apocalypse-/-Freak.Kitchen-/-Ghost-/-Gloryhammer-/-Grailknights-/-Gwydion-/-Haken-/-Haggard-/-Heidevolk-/-Impellitteri-/-Ihsahn-/-In.Extremo-/-Inglorious-/-Jorn-/-Juvaliant-/-Kotipelto-/-Lord-/-Marillion-/-Masterplan-/-Mayan-/-Metsatöll-/-Mob.Rules-/-Myrath-/-Ne.Obliviscaris-/-Nightingale-/-Opeth-/-Orden.Ogan-/-Pagan’s.Mind-/-Pain.of.Salvation-/-Persefone-/-Powerwolf-/-Primordial-/-Primal.Fear-/-Rhapsody-/-Rhapsody.of.Fire-/-Rotting.Christ-/-Running.Wild-/-Saint.Deamon-/-Samael-/-Savatage-/-SepticFlesh-/-Stratovarius-/-Sunburst-/-Symphony.X-/-The.Gentle.Storm-/-Therion-/-The.Night.Flight.Orchestra-/-Threshold-/-Vintersorg-/-Vision.Divine-/-Voodoo.Circle-/-Voyager-/-Warlord-/-Wintersun-/-Witherscape-/-Zebra
    Goddess of Metal
    Sub-Lieutenant

by Goddess of Metal » Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:07 am

Laura wrote:
    X-Thor wrote:

You're welcome, and thanks. :beerwink: I saw on fb you posted a picture with Margie - my roomie for last year's cruise and one of my favorite peeps!! The fact that Margie & met via this forum initially and then in person on the first 70K is an example about the cool connections that have happened between people because of the cruise. When she lived in Chicago long ago, (we discovered) we went to some of the same gigs and yet never knew each other back then...and that is just one of many similaries and commonalities we share from our respective pasts. And in the year 2010 we met on this forum and it has been so great knowing her! Oh, I could go on and on about connections..... :D

Thanks, girlfriend! I feel the same way. ;)
    A.K.A Margie Metalho

2019 - Deck 7
    2018 - Deck 6
    2017 - Deck 6
    2016 - Deck 6
    2015 - Deck 7
    2014 - Deck 2
    2013 - Deck 2
    2012 - Deck 2 on Barge
    2012 - Deck 2
    2011 - Deck.3

Wishlist:
    Abbath-/-Agalloch-/-Allen–Lande-/-Almanac-/-Alestorm-/-Ancient.Bards-/-Arcturus-/-Avantasia-/-Axenstar-/-Beast.in.Black-/-Battle.Beast-/-Black.Fate-/-Blind.Guardian-/-Borknagar-/-Cain’s.Offering-/-Cruachan-/-Dark.Moor-/-Demons.and.Wizards-/-Diablo.Swing.Orchestra-/-Dragonland-/-Dimmu.Borgir-/-Dream.Evil-/-Elvenking-/-Edguy-/-Ex.Deo-/-Equilibrium-/-Fairyland-/-Finntroll-/-Fleshgod.Apocalypse-/-Freak.Kitchen-/-Ghost-/-Gloryhammer-/-Grailknights-/-Gwydion-/-Haken-/-Haggard-/-Heidevolk-/-Impellitteri-/-Ihsahn-/-In.Extremo-/-Inglorious-/-Jorn-/-Juvaliant-/-Kotipelto-/-Lord-/-Marillion-/-Masterplan-/-Mayan-/-Metsatöll-/-Mob.Rules-/-Myrath-/-Ne.Obliviscaris-/-Nightingale-/-Opeth-/-Orden.Ogan-/-Pagan’s.Mind-/-Pain.of.Salvation-/-Persefone-/-Powerwolf-/-Primordial-/-Primal.Fear-/-Rhapsody-/-Rhapsody.of.Fire-/-Rotting.Christ-/-Running.Wild-/-Saint.Deamon-/-Samael-/-Savatage-/-SepticFlesh-/-Stratovarius-/-Sunburst-/-Symphony.X-/-The.Gentle.Storm-/-Therion-/-The.Night.Flight.Orchestra-/-Threshold-/-Vintersorg-/-Vision.Divine-/-Voodoo.Circle-/-Voyager-/-Warlord-/-Wintersun-/-Witherscape-/-Zebra
  • Sasserman
    Wiper

by Sasserman » Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:46 am

For the first couple of days I was a bit worried it wasn't gonna live up to last year for me (last year was my first time) but fuck, did it ever! As always, the karaoke nights were fookin' quality. And I've now sang Electric Eye with a bunch of legends, can't fault that!

My only regret is that I never did eat in the fancy restaurant. :(
    Stained Class
    Commander

by Stained Class » Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:06 am

Sasserman wrote:For the first couple of days I was a bit worried it wasn't gonna live up to last year for me (last year was my first time) but fuck, did it ever! As always, the karaoke nights were fookin' quality. And I've now sang Electric Eye with a bunch of legends, can't fault that!

My only regret is that I never did eat in the fancy restaurant. :(

Oh were you that guy at the all start jam with the hat and the ponytail? U got a good voice.
    9 time cruiser

I'm in a band
    www.facebook.com/Apprenticemetal

I run a festival
    https://www.facebook.com/events/2854966994515383
    TOM CRUISE
    Lieutenant-Commander

by TOM CRUISE » Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:28 am

Ecliptica wrote:Like most of you, I'm currently standing in line waiting to return to the real world do hopefully this post on my phone does my thoughts some justice.
    Title says it all -- I friggin' love you guys. This year was like a high school reunion and I already told Andy this, but UMC crew -- thank you for creating THIS. We come together from 55 countries and no matter our taste in metal, we have become a family. What we have is amazing, from 'sooooon' to 'your boat sucks' to karaoke, you are all my favorite people.

::tear::

Add me on Facebook/tag me in all photos/videos since I'm not a picture-taker and rely on you for the memories -- Facebook.com/gclayman

Agreed ! Funny this is the first time I came onto the forums since returning but I added you on Facebook last night. It was AWESOME seeing you and meeting you. And all the other people I met for the first time. Also it was awesome partying and hanging out with all the great people that make this incredible journey such a memorable experience. This cruise was hands down my favorite. There was no bummer moments for me (Except for the first half of Helloween's Chorus line show).

If someone said "You can go to Hawaii for a week or 70K 2014, I would choose the cruise !!!! I have said it before, but I wish the cruises were 1 or 2 days longer. :)

Cheers to the metal cruise family !!!!!!!!!! I love every single one of you back. Even the frumpy ones..
    70K- 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017, 2018, 2019, Booked Midship Deck 9 2020, Barge to hell -2012
    TOM CRUISE
    Lieutenant-Commander

by TOM CRUISE » Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:29 am

Sasserman wrote:My only regret is that I never did eat in the fancy restaurant. :(

Oh you should have. Tues. night we were seated at a table between Nile and Helloween. Thurs night we were seated AT the table with 3 Inches of Blood, Unexpect and Dragonforce. :)
    70K- 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017, 2018, 2019, Booked Midship Deck 9 2020, Barge to hell -2012
Post Reply 123 posts