Post Reply 3266 posts
The Official 70000TONS OF METAL 2017 Megathread
  • JARI
    Petty Officer

Re: Most Unfortunate News!

by JARI » Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:13 pm

Lost society will come if they dont have gigs, call them. Turmion kätilöt like to come too, but now im inot sure because their other singer quits.
    70k survivor 2013
    70k survivor 2015
    2017 cabin 6223
    DrinkMoxie
    Commander

by DrinkMoxie » Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:31 pm

What do Gojira, Xentrix, and Hypocrisy have in common?
    Same reason given, pretty much word for word, on cancellation... Hmm

But, lineup is still amazing even without Gojira... I can be very happy even if 3 more bands I hate are announced...

...but I'm pretty sure Borknagar are available
    Borknagar-Powerwolf-FolkEarth-Metalachi-GreenCarnation-Atoma-JulieLaughsNomore-Skyfire-BlackKirin-Shangren-WitheredBeauty-...AndOceans-Hypocrisy-Nightfall-Gardenian-AblazeMySorrow-WithoutGrief-ACanorousQuintet-BurdenOfGrief-Excretion-CardinalSin-CallenishCircle-InThyDreams-EternalLies-Miscreant-Eucharist-BuriedDreams-Shadow-Amsvartner-EbonyTears-ManipulatedSlaves-NailWithin-Flying-Dispatched-NeglectedFields-LegionOfTheDamned-CarnalForge-Gojira-RiverBlack-CarBomb-Damaged-Xentrix-LakeOfTears-Neurosis-Conjurer-Minsk-Mindrot-Morgion-EyesOfFire-DestroyJudas-Dyscarnate-Exhorder-Onslaught-Sargon-Sacrifice-Sodom-Darkane-Nothnegal-TheCrown-CeremonialOath-SinsOfOmission-EternalTearsOfSorrow-Sigh-Whispered-Jaldaboath-DescendIntoNothingness-CrestOfDarkness-Carcariass-In~Quest-Anata-Bal*Sagoth-Witherscape-DimensionZero-MentalHome-Myrath-Illogicist-Hacride-Acrassicauda-Impious-NightInGales-EndOfGreen-SpiralArchitect-EphelDuath-Nostromo-DimensionF3H-RedHarvest-Vinterland-Heidevolk-GreenJello-Pist*On-Zimmer'sHole-Trepalium-Vintersorg-UnleashTheArchers-SamBlackChurch-Downpour-SevendayCurse-GreySkiesFallen-DaylightDies-MyHiddenSin-ThisEnding-FrostGiant-TheAbsence-LightThisCity-Dagon-ConditionCritical-GospelOfTheWitches-BlackEarth-FrostyEve-MeadowsEnd-ComposMentis-InThousandLakes-TheZephyr-FragmentsOfUnbecoming-Seducer'sEmbrace-TheExcrementoryGrindfuckers-Whitesnake-WhiteZombie-SkidRow(w/SebastianBach)-AtTheGates-Atheist-DevinTownsend-Emperor-Haggard-Candlemass-OrphanedLand-Wintersun

cabin 3013 (2012)
    cabin 9560 (2014)
    cabin 8671 (2015)
    cabin 7313 (2017)
    cabin 6525 (2018)
  • Godflesh
    Ensign

by Godflesh » Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:44 pm

So sad for Gojira, the brothers already lost their mother a year ago, so it's even more understandable if they want to stay close to family.
    They were *the* band I wanted to see the most. I had tickets to see them for the first time a few months ago, but bailed when they were announced :cry:
    And Nile was the second band I wanted to see the most...

But the worst part is that now WE WON'T KNOW WHICH OF THE LAST 3 BANDS WAS THE ONE SCHEDULED ORIGINALLY (it could be announced next or last), this is what really kills me :evil:
    Agnostic.Front-/-Akercocke-/-Alien.Weaponry-/-Amon.Amarth-/-Anaal.Nathrakh-/-Animals.As.Leaders-/-Behemoth-/-Between.The.Buried.And.Me-/-Black.Crown.Initiate-/-Black.Star.Riders-/-Body.Count-/-Brujeria-/-Candiria-/-Candlemass-/-Cattle.Decapitation-/-Combichrist-/-Dark.Angel-/-Deicide-/-Dethklok-/-Dimmu.Borgir-/-DRI-/-Entombed-/-Evile-/-Fear.Factory-/-Flotsam.and.Jetsam-/-Frog.Leap-/-Ghost-/-Godflesh-/-Gojira-/-Green.Carnation-/-Gutalax-/-Hatebreed-/-Iron.Reagan-/-Jungle.Rot-/-KMFDM-/-Kvelertak-/-Lost.Society-/-Loudblast-/-Manowar-/-Melechesh-/-Memoriam-/-Mercyful.Fate-/-Ministry-/-M.O.D.-/-Morbid.Angel-/-Morgoth-/-Municipal.Waste-/-My.Dying.Bride-/-Nails-/-Nuclear.Assault-/-Pig.Destroyer-/-Power.Trip-/-Protector-/-Rivers.Of.Nihil-/-Ross.The.Boss-/-Sacred.Reich-/-Saxon-/-Six.Feet.Under-/-Sleep-/-Stormtroopers.of.Beer-/-Suffocation-/-Suicidal.Tendencies-/-Tankard-/-Terrorizer-/-The.Crown-/-The.Faceless-/-The.Great.Old.Ones-/-The.Zenith.Passage-/-Thin.Lizzy-/-Triptykon-/-Trust-/-Tsjuder-/-Twelve.Foot.Ninja-/-UFO-/-Upon.A.Burning.Body-/-Vio-lence-/-Wrath-/-Xibalba
    alex_canada
    Ensign

by alex_canada » Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:22 pm

Sorry for their fans but happy for me. Not a gojira fan and this might open a few bucks for a band I like more!
    3 Inches of Blood, Amon Amarth, Andrew WK, Be'lakor, Blind Guardian, Ne Obliviscaris, Nightwish, Unleash the Archers, Wuthering Heights
    Danny24601
    Petty Officer

by Danny24601 » Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:30 pm

Just today I was thinking "man there's a lot of bands on this boat I want to see, hopefully I have time to see them all...". Be careful what you wish for, cause that's one two set (Gojira) and a one set (Nile) gone for me. That said, I'm sure UMC and the skipper wouldn't do this if they had any other option though, and my heart goes out to Gojira and their families at this time.
    Aether.Realm/Amon.Amarth/Amorphis/Ayreon/Behemoth/Blind.Guardian/Dark.Tranquility/Draconian/Epica/The.Eternal/Freedom.Call/Frozen.Crown/Galderia/Hamferd/Hammerfall/Iced.Earth/Ihsahn/Insomnium/Katatonia/Khemmis/Lor/Manegarm/Moonsorrow/Moonspell/My.Dying.Bride/The.Night.Flight.Orchestra/Nightwish/November’s.Doom/Omnium.Gatherum/Orphaned.Land/Primordial/Sabaton/Septicflesh/Serenity/Seventh.Wonder/Soilwork/Sojourner/Sonata.Arctica/Swallow.the.Sun/Theocracy/Tribulation/Turisas/Visigoth/Wilderun/Within.Temptation
    alex_canada
    Ensign

by alex_canada » Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:44 pm

Sidenote, I appreciate the communication. Better than when kamelots cancellation took 6 months to confirm.
    3 Inches of Blood, Amon Amarth, Andrew WK, Be'lakor, Blind Guardian, Ne Obliviscaris, Nightwish, Unleash the Archers, Wuthering Heights
    Ecliptica
    Ensign

by Ecliptica » Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:49 pm

Not the same type of music, but Theocracy is available and in Atlanta.

And I would poop myself if they were announced.

But this cruise is probably not Christian enough for them, so meh.
    Memnoch
    Lieutenant-Commander

by Memnoch » Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:54 pm

Sucks that Nile was cancelled. One of the best live bands in the world. Gojira is ok, but nothing special.

As for replacements, Carcass would be a nice replacement for Gojira. Both have a lot of mainstream metal appeal. If the replacement for Nile is that plastic Viking band or, Satan forbid, thrash, I'm beyond angry. There's not many bands in death metal that would be suitable (big name, brutal...) to replace Nile, but Immolation would be perfect. Or if we want some ethnical death metal, Ade (George Kollias played drums for their Spartacus album) or Scarab (Egyptian death metal from, well, Egypt) would be fine.

Or get my number one death metal wish list band, Cut Up. There's still plenty of time for the Swedes to fill in their ESTA applications and hop on a SAS flight to Florida. Pile up those kronas and get them to play a Vomitory set.
    Wishlist:
    GIRLIE METAL / OLD SCHOOL DEATH METAL / DOOM METAL
    captaingabbeh
    Chief Petty Officer

by captaingabbeh » Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:04 am

Ouch. I wasn't gonna make it to Nile, but I was looking forward to Gojira a lot. Just tell me that Pain and Mors are still in (and hey, maybe Hypocrisy will be one of the replacement bands)

2015-2018,
    Goth Cruise 2019

Wishlist: Myrath-Skindred-Rotting Christ-Amorphis-Hypocrisy-Demons & Wizards-3TEETH-Emperor-Psyclon Nine-Ihsahn-Batushka-Anaal Nathrakh-Epica-Aeternam-Nightwish-Starkill-Primordial-Zeal & Ardor-Powerwolf
    cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:17 am

Ecliptica wrote:Not the same type of music, but Theocracy is available and in Atlanta.

And I would poop myself if they were announced.

But this cruise is probably not Christian enough for them, so meh.

That would be fantastic! Would love to see them live.
    Upcoming Gigs:
    Wolves-In-The-Throne-Room-/-Halestorm-/-70K
    2020 Wishlist
    Almanac-/-Ancient-Bards-/-Atlas-Pain-/-Avantasia-/-Battlelore-/-Beast-In-Black-/-Believer-/-Bloodbound-/-Brothers-of-Metal-/-Civil-War-/-Circus-Maximus-/-Claymorean-/-Dark-Moor-/-Dark-Sarah-/-Demons-&-Wizards-/-Diabulus-In-Musica-/-Edguy-/-Elvenking-/-Ex-Libris-/-Exit-Eden-/-Frozen-Crown-/-Galderia-/-Heavatar-/-In-This-Moment-/-Jaldaboath-/-Kaledon-/-Kalidia-/-Living-Sacrifice-/-Magnum-/-Metalite-/-Neopera-/-Orden-Ogan-/-Pathfinder-/-Poisonblack-/-Powerwolf-/-The-Privateer-/-Pythia-/-Ravenia-/-Revamp-/-Running-Wild-/-Serenity-/-Sleeping-Romance-/-Sojourner-/-Tarot-/-Ten-/-Thaurorod-/-The-Dark-Element-/-The-Skull-/-Tourniquet-/-Trick-or-Treat-/-Trillium-/-Unisonic-/-Valhalore-/-Within-Temptation
    Pellaz
    Sub-Lieutenant

by Pellaz » Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:58 am

Was really looking forward to both bands.
    Oh, well, it's still a solid lineup. It will be interesting to see if Andy has a quick backup plan already in place. Thinking of a certain quick replacement of Arcturus with Ihsahn, here.....
    2020 Wishlist:
    Abbath--Aeternam--Agalloch--Agathodaimon--Alestorm--Allegaeon--Amon.Amarth--Amorphis--Animals.As.Leaders--Arsis--Ayreon--Bal.Sagoth--Barren.Earth--Battlelore--Behemoth--Black.Crown.Initiate--Blind.Guardian--Borknagar--Cannibal.Corpse--CoB--CoF--Cynic--Dark.Tranquillity--Dimmu.Borgir--Dragonforce--Edge.of.Sanity--Witherscape--anything.Dan.Swano--Einherjer--Enslaved--
    --Emperor--Equilibrium--Eternal.Tears.of.Sorrow--Fear.Factory--Gojira--Graveworm--Green.Carnation--Gyze--Iced.Earth--Ihsahn--Immortal--Insomnium--Kataklysm--Katatonia--Keep.of.Kalessin--Korpiklaani--Kreator--Kvelertak--Leprous--Luciferan.Light.Orchestra--Loss--Melechesh--Meshuggah--Mezarkabul--Moonspell--Myrath--
    Novembers.Doom--Obscura--Old.Mans.Child--Omnium.Gatherum--Opeth--Orphaned.Land--Poisonblack--Primordial--Sabaton--Samael--Satyricon--Savatage--Scale.the.Summit--Septic.Flesh--Seven.Spires--Skalmold--Slough.Feg--Suidakra--Tarot--Therion--Devin.Townsend--Turisas--Vintersorg--Wintersun--Wolfheart--Yyrkoon--1349
    2015: Survivor
    2016: Survivor
    2017: Survivor
    2018: Survivor
    2019: Booked!
    Empire
    Crewman

by Empire » Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:29 am

I think because of the visa problem it will be american bands.
    Cannibal Corpse, Overkill.
    And Number 60: Amon Amarth :roll:
    2011: missed, 2012 - 2019: survived 2020: SOON
  • Tigerclaw_x
    Oiler

by Tigerclaw_x » Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:33 am

I am actually HAPPY that Gojira and Nile is out. Quite Happy. Too many "we gargle with sulfuric acid" bands on board anyways. Now, figure this out: BLIND GUARDIAN have US visas, seen them twice already. So do Leaves Eyes, so does Sonata Arctica, So does Rage/Refuge, so does Rhapsody, so does PelleK. Any of them would be a welcome substitution into "we gargle with sulfuric acid" style.
    TPH
    Chief Petty Officer

by TPH » Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:47 am

...........not even going to address the stupidity of the acid thing.
    Just have to say that Blind Guardian is a shitty live act. I saw them last year, save from the drummer who was the only one looking like he was playing live in a band, everyone else looked like they were sleepwalking and/or on autopilot. Absolutely no life, no energy, nothing. Was pretty gutted to have paid for this, I left after 5 songs.
    Wacken 2003
    Fury Fest 2004-2005, Hellfest 2006 to 2019
    70K 2017 - cabin 2250
    70K 2018 - cabin 8215
    70K 2019 - cabin 10xxx (can't fucking remember)
    Memnoch
    Lieutenant-Commander

by Memnoch » Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:58 am

Besides, if one wants to see bands like Blind Guardian or Sonata Arctica, there's always Disney cruises.
    Wishlist:
    AceHugger
    Petty Officer

by AceHugger » Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:42 am

Oh, cock it.

They were both MUSTs for me, still, - there will no doubt be something awesome in their stead.

...hopefully...
    2017 - Deck 8 -... 8372 .
    2018 - Deck 8 -... 8372 .
    AceHugger
    Petty Officer

by AceHugger » Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:47 am

TPH wrote:...........not even going to address the stupidity of the acid thing.

Memnoch wrote:Besides, if one wants to see bands like Blind Guardian or Sonata Arctica, there's always Disney cruises.

This.
    2017 - Deck 8 -... 8372 .
    2018 - Deck 8 -... 8372 .
    Downvod
    Chief Petty Officer

by Downvod » Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:19 am

Phoenix wrote:
    General Zod wrote:
    Downvod wrote:If the visa for one guy in Nile derailed them, I don't see them getting another foreign band this close. I think 2 American bands and then whomever we were already getting for #60.

The visa wasn't for the ship, it was for the tour that was to follow. No work visa is needed for the ship.

This. Wintersun was booked last minute in 2015, remember?

I know they were announced last minute... I'm not sure if I truly believe they were booked a day or two before sailing out of the blue.

I swear I've read on here before about bands not making it due to visa issues. Amon Amarth last year was one of the rumors.
    70k 2016: Cabin 7279
    70k 2017: Cabin 6361
    70k 2018: Cabin 1704
    70k 2019: Cabin 1402

Abbath-/-Aeternam-/-Aetherian-/-Aether.Realm-/-Alestorm-/-Amon.Amarth-/-Amorphis-/-Animals.as.Leaders-/-Annihilator-/-Armageddon-/-Arsis-/-Ashes.of.Ares-/-At.the.Gates-/-Battlecross-/-Behemoth-/-BE’LAKOR-/-Beyond.Creation-/-Black.Crown.Initiate-/-Blind.Guardian-/-Bloodred.Hourglass-/-BORKNAGAR-/-Brymir-/-Carach.Angren-/-Carcass-/-Children.of.Bodom-/-Conjurer-/-The.Crown-/-Cthonic-/-Cruachan-/-Dalriada-/-Dark.Tranquillity-/-DEATH.ANGEL-/-Death.to.All-/-Decapitated-/-Demonic.Resurrection-/-De.Profundis-/-Devin.Townsend-/-DGM-/-Dimmu.Borgir-/-Dragonlord-/-Emperor-/-Enslaved-/-Epica-/-Equilibrium-/-ETERNAL.TEARS.OF.SORROW-/-Evocation-/-Exodus-/-Finntroll-/-Galactic.Empire-/-Ghost.Ship.Octavius-/-Ghoul-/-Gojira-/-Havok-/-HYPOCRISY-/-Iced.Earth-/-IHSAHN-/-Immortal-/-Inferi-/-In.Mourning-/-Insomnium-/-Irreversible.Mechanism-/-Keep.of.Kalessin-/-Kreator-/-Kvelertak-/-Lovebites-/-Manegarm-/-Mastodon-/-MELECHESH-/-Mgla-/-MOONSORROW-/-Myrkur-/-Naglfar-/-Necrophagist-/-Necrophobic-/-Obscura-/-Omnium.Gatherum-/-Oni-/-Opeth-/-Orden.Ogan-/-Powerglove-/-Power.Trip-/-Psycroptic-/-Refuge-/-Revocation-/-SOILWORK-/-Solution.45-/-Sunburst-/-SYMPHONY.X-/-Taake-/-Tankard-/-Testament-/-TRIBULATION-/-Uada-/-Vader-/-Vallenfyre-/-Vektor-/-Watain-/-Winterfylleth-/-Winterhymn-/-WINTERSUN-/-Witchery-/-Witherscape-/-Wolfheart-/-Wolves.in.the.Throne.Room
  • Tazz
    Wiper

by Tazz » Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:26 am

/cough/ Ross the Boss's 'Manowar - Discipline of Steel' tour doesn't start until 16th Feb in Mexico/cough/
    Memnoch
    Lieutenant-Commander

by Memnoch » Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:34 am

The bands don't need a visa to play the cruise, because it's not in the U.S.

And Wintersun had been in talks with UMC well before they signed the deal, but the actual deal and whatever Andy offered them was made mere days before the cruise. A friend of mine flew to Florida on the same flight and the guys said they only got the confirmation the day (or two days) before.
    We've all heard from many bands that 70k isn't worth it financially, but if they can include a tour before or after, it makes for a minimum wage vacation for some. Apparently Nile wasn't being paid enough to justify the costs of flying to Florida and taking five days off without a tour right after.
    Wishlist:
  • sara
    Petty Officer

by sara » Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:06 am

Can we please, please replace these bands with heavy ones? It's already a pretty light line up in my opinion. I was psyched for Gojira and like Nile. Please do not replace these guys with weenie bands. I need neck crushing heavy.
    Warbringer-/-King-Parrot-/-Lich-King-/-Angelus-Apatrida-/-Benighted-/-The-Crown-/-Aeon-/-Witchery-/-Occultist-/-Black-Breath-/-Chthonic-/-Alestorm-/-Devin-Townsend-/-Zimmers-Hole-/-Party-Thrash-/-Grindcore-/-Stoner-Bands-/-Folk-Metal-/-Heavier-Prog
  • sara
    Petty Officer

by sara » Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:12 am

Tigerclaw_x wrote:I am actually HAPPY that Gojira and Nile is out. Quite Happy. Too many "we gargle with sulfuric acid" bands on board anyways. Now, figure this out: BLIND GUARDIAN have US visas, seen them twice already. So do Leaves Eyes, so does Sonata Arctica, So does Rage/Refuge, so does Rhapsody, so does PelleK. Any of them would be a welcome substitution into "we gargle with sulfuric acid" style.

Then may I ask why you are even on a metal cruise? It should be expected that there are quite a few of bands that have these vocals. The vast majority of metal is not the pretty girls in corsets bands and such. And I like Leaves Eyes, but really. a metal cruise without harsh vocals would be bullshit.
    Warbringer-/-King-Parrot-/-Lich-King-/-Angelus-Apatrida-/-Benighted-/-The-Crown-/-Aeon-/-Witchery-/-Occultist-/-Black-Breath-/-Chthonic-/-Alestorm-/-Devin-Townsend-/-Zimmers-Hole-/-Party-Thrash-/-Grindcore-/-Stoner-Bands-/-Folk-Metal-/-Heavier-Prog
  • bodomdragon
    Sub-Lieutenant

by bodomdragon » Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:10 am

I'm sorry for the guys in Gojira and Nile, but musically I'm more than okay with that. I could say it is very fortunate that, with so many great bands onbroad, the two that cancel are among the few I don't care about :D
    Wishlist:
    AETERNAM--Alestorm--Allegaeon--
    Amorphis--Annihilator--Anthriel--AXXIS--AVANTASIA--Be'lakor--Borealis--CAIN'S.OFFERING--CALIGULA'S.HORSE--Children.of.Bodom--Countless.Skies--Dark.Tranquillity--Devin.Townsend--Dimmu.Borgir--DGM--Distorted.Harmony--DRAGONFORCE--Dream.Evil--DREAM.THEATER--DYNAZTY--ECLIPSE(Sweden)--Equilibrium--Freedom.call--Fleshgod.Apocalypse--GAMMA.RAY--Haken--Helloween--IN.MOURNING--INSOMNIUM--Kamelot--Keep.Of.Kalessin--KISSIN'.DYNAMITE--Kreator--Masterplan--Mechina--Mercenary--Meshiaak--Moonsorrow--Need--OMNIUM.GATHERUM--ORDEN.OGAN--Pathfinder--Pretty.Maids--Powerglove--Pyramaze--SCAR.SYMMETRY--Serious.Black--SABATON--Seven.Spires--SEVENTH.WONDER--Shade.Empire--Shadow.Gallery--SOEN--Soilwork--Stratovarius--SYMPHONY.X--TERAMAZE--_Tomorrows.Eve--Triosphere--Therion--THRESHOLD--Unisonic--Volbeat--VOYAGER--WIDEK--Wintersun--Wolfheart

2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019: Survivor | 2020: BOOKED
    Speedy
    Ensign

by Speedy » Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:29 am

Memnoch wrote:The bands don't need a visa to play the cruise, because it's not in the U.S.

And Wintersun had been in talks with UMC well before they signed the deal, but the actual deal and whatever Andy offered them was made mere days before the cruise. A friend of mine flew to Florida on the same flight and the guys said they only got the confirmation the day (or two days) before.
    We've all heard from many bands that 70k isn't worth it financially, but if they can include a tour before or after, it makes for a minimum wage vacation for some. Apparently Nile wasn't being paid enough to justify the costs of flying to Florida and taking five days off without a tour right after.

Are there any info on whether the US tour is cancelled or not? It sounds to me like they had the option to cancel either the cruise or the tour, and understandably chose the cruise as the tour pays much better (or indeed at all).
    70k 2013 cabin 4008
    70k 2014 cabin 2565
    70k 2015 cabin 8687
    70k 2016 cabin 7607
    70k 2017 cabin 6667

70k 2018 M.I.A.
    70k 2019 cabin 7690
    (Part) Norwegian Wishlist: -Audrey.Horne-/-Borknagar-/-Chrome.Division-/-Circus.Maximus-/-Dimension.F3h-/-Divided.Multitude-/-Djerv-/-Einherjer-/-Enslaved-/-Evig.Natt-/-Glittertind-/-Gothminister-/-Highland.Glory-/-ICS.Vortex-/-Ihsahn-/-Jorn-/-Leprous-/-Lumsk-/-Memorized.Dreams-/-Midnattsol-/-Mortemia-/-Nergard-/-Pagan's.Mind-/-Savn-/-Sirenia-/-Svölk-/-Tellus.Requiem-/-Triosphere-/-Viper.Solfa-/-Vredehammer-/-Vreid-/-Withem-

International Wishlist: -Abinchova-/-Amberian.Dawn-/-Amon.Amarth-/-Ancient.Bards-/-And.Then.She.Came-/-Arch.Enemy-/-Avantasia-/-Battle.Beast-/-Battlelore-/-Beyond.the.Bridge-/-Blind.Guardian-/-Dalriada-/-Dark.Sarah-/-Demons&Wizards-/-Diabulus.in.Musica-/-Die.Apocalyptischen.Reiter-/-Doro-/-Draconian-/-Dragonforce-/-Dream.Theater-/-Eisbrecher-/-Elvenking-/-Epica-/-Equilibrium-/-Evenoire-/-Ex.Libris-/-Fejd-/-Finntroll-/-Finsterforst-/-Freedom.Call-/-Fylgja-/-Грай-/-Grailknights-/-Grave.Digger-/-Haggard-/-Hammerfall-/-Heavatar-/-Heldmaschine-/-Helloween-/-Ignea-/-Izegrim-/-Jaded.Star-/-Калевала-/-Kivimetsän.Druidi-/-Korpiklaani-/-Lacuna.Coil-/-Magistina.Saga-/-Megaherz-/-Metsatöll-/-Moonsorrow-/-Moonspell-/-Månegarm-/-Невидь-/-Nightmare-/-Nightwish-/-Nine.Treasures-/-November-7-/-OOMPH!-/-Orden.Ogan-/-Orphaned.Land-/-Powerwolf-/-Queensrÿche-/-Ragnaröek-/-Raubtier-/-Rhapsody.(any.edition)-/-Running.Wild-/-Sabaton-/-Saltatio.Mortis-/-Schwarzer.Engel-/-Serenity-/-Seven.Kingdoms-/-Seven.Spires-/-Skálmöld-/-Sleeping.Romance-/-Смута-/-Sonata.Arctica-/-Stahlmann-/-SuidAkrA-/-Symphony.X-/-Tarja-/-Tengger.Cavalry-/-The.Privateer-/-Turisas-/-U.D.O.-/-Vanden.Plas-/-Varg-/-Vika-/-Vogelfrey-/-Volbeat-/-VUUR-/-White.Shadow-/-Winterstorm-/-Wintersun-/-Within.Temptation-/-Xandria-
  • Mark
    Petty Officer

by Mark » Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:01 am

Please, for the love of God/Satan/Odin or whatever stuff you may or may not believe in - can we just stop that ridiculous "weenie" vs heavy bullshit?
    The thing I love most about this cruise is that we get all those different styles of metal together on a single boat and while everybody has his own tastes everybody still seems to enjoy it a lot...

Personally I didn't care for either band but coming out and saying you're glad they are gone is just borderline stupid.
    Also Andy should probably really try to get some proper heavy bands to replace them. I'd be really pissed if say Orden Ogan got canceled and replaced by a Death Metal Band.
    Alestorm/Amaranthe/Anneke/Avantasia/Blind Guardian/Civil War/Devin Townsend/Apokalyptische Reiter/Edguy/Ensiferum/Equilibrium/Falconer/Gloryhammer/Grave Digger/Heidevolk/Korpiklaani/Omnium Gatherum/Powerwolf/Rage/Sabaton/Saxon/Therion/Trollfest/Wintersun
  • mjb7e
    Oiler

by mjb7e » Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:21 am

Other suggestions: Alestorm, Nekrogoblikon, or Æther Realm. Their Super Smashed Turbo Tour in Fall 2016 was a blast.
    metalmaciejmetal
    Chief Petty Officer

by metalmaciejmetal » Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:38 am

Mark wrote:Please, for the love of God/Satan/Odin or whatever stuff you may or may not believe in - can we just stop that ridiculous "weenie" vs heavy bullshit?
    The thing I love most about this cruise is that we get all those different styles of metal together on a single boat and while everybody has his own tastes everybody still seems to enjoy it a lot...

Thank you! The way I see it, 70000 tons is a cross-section of the entire metal spectrum or as close as possible. Little bit of everything from the real deal black metal, old school, thrash, power, folk, death and even nu metal. Fucking fantastic.

Personally I don't like Gojira but I have tons of other bands I dig. It sucks they will not make it, there seems to be enough people that were excited to see them. I've met a couple of the Gojira guys about 10 years ago, super nice guys. I got to hang out in the tour bus with them and Behemoth. Don't care for the music of gojira but I like the band members.
    Survivor 2016 and 2017
  • JARI
    Petty Officer

by JARI » Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:03 am

:bitch: [quote="Memnoch"]Besides, if one wants to see bands like Blind Guardian or Sonata Arctica, there's always Disney cruises
    :viking:
    70k survivor 2013
    70k survivor 2015
    2017 cabin 6223
    Warphine
    Ensign

by Warphine » Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:06 am

Sucks about Gojira and Nile but I've seen them live a few times each so no big deal.
    Survivor of 2012, BTH, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017

Aborted/Abysmal-Dawn/Abyssal/Ade/Adversarial/Aenaon/Aeon/Aeternam/Alkaloid/Antichrist/APMD/Archspire/Autopsy/Barren-Earth/Benighted/Beyond-Creation/Black-Breath/Blues-Pills/Bodyfarm/Bölzer/Byzantine/Carnal-Forge/Church-of-Misery/Condition-Critical/Condor/Craven-Idol/The-Crown/Cut-Up/Dark-Fortress/Darkest-Hour/Dark-Tranquillity/Dead-Congregation/Death-Breath/Deathhammer/Defeated-Sanity/Degial/Denner-Shermann/Deströyer-666/Deviant-Process/Diabolic-Night/Dew-Scented/Divinity/Division-Speed/Dyscarnate/Ensnared/Evil-Invaders/Execration/Firespawn/Foreseen/Funeral-Whore/Goatwhore/Gorod/Graveyard(Sweden-or-Spain)/Gruesome/Hail-of-Bullets/Haken/Harlott/Harm(Norway)/Hellbringer/Hooded-Menace/Hypocrisy/Igorrr/In-Twilight's-Embrace/Inanimate-Existence/Inculter/Inferi/Infestus/Insomnium/Jess-And-The-Ancient-Ones/King's-Evil/Kreator/Legion-of-the-Damned/Lich-King/Lvcifyre/Maat/Mammoth-Grinder/Man-Must-Die/Meshuggah/Mgla/Miasmal/Miseration/Mitochondrian/Mutoid-Man/Nader-Sadek/Nails/Ne-Obliviscaris/Necrophobic/Necrot/Negative-Plane/Nekrofilth/Nekromantheon/Nevermore/Nightbreed/Night-Flight-Orchestra/Nigredo/Nocturnal-Graves/Obliteration(Norway)/Obscura/Obscure-Infinity/Obsequiae/October-Tide/Onslaught/Opeth/Orator/Outre/Pallbearer/Persefone/Perversifier/Pestifer/Phrenelith/Power-Trip/Pro-Pain/Protector/Purson/Ranger/Ramming-Speed/Razor/Recueil-Morbide/Repugnant/Ripper/Scorched/Scythian/Septicflesh/Serpents-Lair/Shape-of-Despair/Shrine-of-Insanabilis/Skeletonwitch/Solipsist/Solution-.45/Sorcery/Soreption/Speedtrap/Speedwolf/Suffering-Hour/Sulphur-Aeon/Svart-Crown/Swallow-The-Sun/Swallowed/Sylosis/Take-Over-And-Destroy/Teethgrinder/Temple-of-Baal/Temple-of-Void/Terrifier/Thantifaxath/Thy-Darkened-Shade/Toxic-Holocaust/Tribulation/Triptykon/Triumvir-Foul/Turbid-North/Ulsect/Uncle-Acid/Unfathomable-Ruination/Vampire/Vastum/Vektor/Venefixion/Venenum/Vicious-Art/Vomitory/Vorum/Warbringer/Watain/Witchcraft/Witchery/Wolfheart/Year-of-the-Goat/Zhrine/ZOM

Green - Most Wanted | Red - Booked
    captaingabbeh
    Chief Petty Officer

by captaingabbeh » Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:14 am

Downvod wrote:
    Phoenix wrote:
    General Zod wrote:
    This. Wintersun was booked last minute in 2015, remember?

I know they were announced last minute... I'm not sure if I truly believe they were booked a day or two before sailing out of the blue.

I swear I've read on here before about bands not making it due to visa issues. Amon Amarth last year was one of the rumors.

According to the Wintersun guys, they were actually booked only about a week before sailing. The problem isn't the boat - the problem is if you're a band who wants to enter the US to tour soon after the boat, and your visas are still clearing, and immigration gets shirty about letting you in, because technically your visa's not ready yet...

2015-2018,
    Goth Cruise 2019

Wishlist: Myrath-Skindred-Rotting Christ-Amorphis-Hypocrisy-Demons & Wizards-3TEETH-Emperor-Psyclon Nine-Ihsahn-Batushka-Anaal Nathrakh-Epica-Aeternam-Nightwish-Starkill-Primordial-Zeal & Ardor-Powerwolf
    PacNW
    Crewman

by PacNW » Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:48 am

Bummer news. Honestly I have never managed to get into either Gojira or Nile. I had been planning to catch at least one Nile set though, because I hear they are awesome live.

I agree with others who think the replacement bands should be in a similar heavy vein. Swapping Nile for Sonata Arctica would feel like a slap in the face to death metal fans. Cannibal Corpse is rad live if Andy is able to secure them at the last minute like this.

I also agree with people saying Nile's cancellation is kinda BS. Professional bands should plan ahead to secure their visas in time to honor their show commitments. Yes the visa process should work faster and easier, or ideally you could not even require people to have paper permission slips to enter the country, but unfortunately the world is not perfect. Professionally, focus on the items that are 100% in your control.
    2012, 2017 - 6223, 2018 - 6387
  • meshuggah
    Ensign

by meshuggah » Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:59 am

What is GORGUTS doing? I'd be happy to trade them for NILE!
    Sgt. B
    Lieutenant

by Sgt. B » Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:25 am

FUCK! Didn't see this awful news last night. This just adds to the shitty week I am having. :evil:

sara wrote:Can we please, please replace these bands with heavy ones? It's already a pretty light line up in my opinion. I was psyched for Gojira and like Nile.

I agree with Sara, they were two bands I really wanted to see. This is my least favorite lineup off all the cruises that I have done. Losing 2 bands I wanted to see hurts.

Mark wrote:Personally I didn't care for either band but coming out and saying you're glad they are gone is just borderline stupid.
    Also Andy should probably really try to get some proper heavy bands to replace them. I'd be really pissed if say Orden Ogan got canceled and replaced by a Death Metal Band.

Thanks. I agree with you that the replacements should be in the same ballpark.
    1914-Abbath-Aeon-Ahab-Akercocke-Alcest-AliceCooper-Alestorm-AmonAmarth-Amorphis-AnaalNathrakh-Anathema-AnnekeVanGeirsbergen/VUUR-ArmoredSaint-Asphyx-AtTheGates-Auðn-Ayreon-BarrenEarth-Behemoth-Be'lakor-BlackBreath-BlackFast-BlindGuardian-Borknagar-Brainstorm-CallenishCircle-Candlemass-Carcass-CarpenterBrut-ChelseaWolfe-CirithUngol-Cloak-Conan-CravenIdol-Cruachan-CryptSermon-CultOfLuna-CutUp-DarkAngel-DarkFortress-DeadCongregation-DeathAngel-DemolitionHammer-Demons&Wizards-DevinTownsend-Dismember-DraggedIntoSunlight-Dyscarnate-EdgeOfSanity-ElectricWizard-Emperor-Enforcer-Enshine-Entombed-Entrails-EsotericUK-Evocation-Exodus-Evoken-Exhorder-Falkenbach-FatesWarning-Fen-Feral-Firespawn-Flotsam&Jetsam-ForgottenTomb-GeneralSurgery-Ghost-GhostBath-Ghoul-Godflesh-Gojira-Gorguts-Gorod-GrandMagus-Grave-GraveMiasma-GreenCarnation-Haemorrhage-HammersOfMisfortune-Hate-HighSpirits-HoodedMenace-Hypocrisy-IcedEarth-Ihsahn-Immolation-ImperiumDekadenz-InTheWoods-Incantation-InterArma-IronReagan-Izegrim-Kadavar-Kampfar-KeepOfKalessin-Khemmis-Khonsu-KingDiamond/MercyfulFate-KingGoat-Kriegsmaschine-LaazRockit-LacunaCoil-LegionOfTheDamned-LIK-LimbonicArt-Loudness-Lvcifyre(UK)-Manegarm-Melechesh-Memoriam-Mgla-MiseryIndex-Mistur-MonsterMagnet-Moonsorrow-Moonspell-MournfulCongregation-MunicipalWaste-MyDyingBride-Myrkur-MysticProphecy-Nails-Necrot-NovembersDoom-Novembre-NuclearAssault-Okera-Opeth-OrangeGoblin-OranssiPazuzu-Orchid-Overkill-PagansMind-Panopticon-Perturbator-Portal-Powerwolf-Primordial-Profetus-PowerTrip-Prong-Queensryche-RottenSound-RottingChrist-S.O.D.-Sabbat(UK)-SacredReich-Sanctuary-Saor-Sarke-Saturnus-Satyricon-Saxon-Schammasch-SecretsOfTheMoon-ShapeOfDespair-SkeletalRemains-Skeletonwitch-Skepticism-Skyclad-Skyforger-Sleep-SloughFeg-Solstafir-SufferingHour-SuicidalAngels-SulphurAeon-SvartCrown-Sylosis-TempleOfVoid-Testament-TheCrown-TheGathering-TheGreatOldOnes-TheHaunted-TheLurkingFear-TheOcean-TheRuinsOfBeverast-Therion-Thulcandra-Thyrfing-Tribulation-Triptykon-Uada-Ulcerate-Unleashed-Vader-Vemod-Vio-Lence-Visigoth-Voices(UK)-Vredehammer-Vreid-WakeTheDead-Watain-Wayfarer-Waylander-Windhand-Winterfylleth-Witherscape-WithinTemptation-Wolf-WolvesInTheThroneRoom-Yob-Zhrine

2012: Survivor
    2014: Survivor
    2015: Survivor
    2016: Survivor
    2017: Survivor
    2018: Survivor
    2019: Survivor
    BtH(2012): Survivor
  • Thrashmania
    Crewman

by Thrashmania » Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:36 am

Sorry for the family of Gojira. As far as my preference, I was probably not going to catch one of their sets anyway. I've seen Nile a bajillion times and am not heart broken about their cancellation, but would have seen one of their sets. Cool thing about this cruise (as previously mentioned) is the diversity of the genres. I've VERY particular in what Power Metal bands I like, and luckily I usually get 1 or 2 Power metal bands I wouldn't be able to see otherwise (ProgPower rarely has enough bands to my taste to justify the cost).

My bread and butter is generally the heavier stuff though, and this year is pretty light in that sense. Hoping at least Nile gets replaced with some good ole (non-melodic) death metal (Unless that melodic death metal is Hypocrisy, God Dethroned or Vital Remains). I don't really care who Gojira gets replaced with, my assumption is that it'll be a larger act--so that's nice. I'm on board with Cut Up doing a Vomitory set!

Still crossing all body parts for Hypocrisy!
    70k 2012, Barge 2012, 70k 2015, 70k 2016, 70k 2017
    Danny24601
    Petty Officer

by Danny24601 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:44 am

Its an interesting question to what extent we want the replacements to be more similar to the bands canceled vs. better known. Presumably the skipper is going to do his best but with such short notice (even allowing for the fact they likely knew this was coming long before we did) there are going to be limits on what they can do. I'm sure they would have booked Amon Amarth or a similar crowd pleaser if they could, but given that Nile couldn't sort their visas with many months notice I'm sure you can imagine how limited their band options are now. In that case, is it more important to get bands that sound close to Gojira and Nile, even if most people are unfamiliar with them and might even call them crippers, or for them to get bands that are similar in size and make the lineup change feel like less of a downgrade commercially, even if those bands are completely different in sound? I'm not sure there is a right answer here, and perhaps UMC may even go with a mixed approach across the three remaining bands.

Consolation prize: more announcements to get excited about!
    Aether.Realm/Amon.Amarth/Amorphis/Ayreon/Behemoth/Blind.Guardian/Dark.Tranquility/Draconian/Epica/The.Eternal/Freedom.Call/Frozen.Crown/Galderia/Hamferd/Hammerfall/Iced.Earth/Ihsahn/Insomnium/Katatonia/Khemmis/Lor/Manegarm/Moonsorrow/Moonspell/My.Dying.Bride/The.Night.Flight.Orchestra/Nightwish/November’s.Doom/Omnium.Gatherum/Orphaned.Land/Primordial/Sabaton/Septicflesh/Serenity/Seventh.Wonder/Soilwork/Sojourner/Sonata.Arctica/Swallow.the.Sun/Theocracy/Tribulation/Turisas/Visigoth/Wilderun/Within.Temptation
    captaingabbeh
    Chief Petty Officer

by captaingabbeh » Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:49 am

The more I think about it, the more my dream replacement list is Symphony X or Myrath to replace Gojira (though both are less heavy), and Hypocrisy to replace Nile.

2015-2018,
    Goth Cruise 2019

• big perken
    Crewman

by big perken » Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:14 am

sara wrote:Can we please, please replace these bands with heavy ones? It's already a pretty light line up in my opinion. I was psyched for Gojira and like Nile. Please do not replace these guys with weenie bands. I need neck crushing heavy.

Only logical to get atleast one death metal band. But last minute who knows whats available. Look to Canada and see if Cryptopsy or Gorguts are free one of them with overkill would be nice.
  • sara
    Petty Officer

by sara » Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:24 am

big perken wrote:
    sara wrote:Can we please, please replace these bands with heavy ones? It's already a pretty light line up in my opinion. I was psyched for Gojira and like Nile. Please do not replace these guys with weenie bands. I need neck crushing heavy.

Only logical to get atleast one death metal band. But last minute who knows whats available. Look to Canada and see if Cryptopsy or Gorguts are free one of them with overkill would be nice.

i understand completely, but there is no lack of good heavy bands, maybe it wont be one as big, but im really disappointed that so many are using this as an opportunity to beg for more corny stuff when we already have kamelot, amaranthe, xandria, etc etc
    alex_canada
    Ensign

by alex_canada » Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:27 am

Amaranthe should play two extra sets, and then they should book van canto and twilight force lol
    metalmaciejmetal
    Chief Petty Officer

by metalmaciejmetal » Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:33 am

alex_canada wrote:Amaranthe should play two extra sets, and then they should book van canto and twilight force lol

Van Canto is such an easy solution it would seem. They just need to bag some microphones, borrow a drum kit from any of the 59 other bands and off we go.
    Survivor 2016 and 2017
Post Reply 3266 posts