Post Reply 3266 posts
The Official 70000TONS OF METAL 2017 Megathread
    TPH
    Chief Petty Officer

Re: Keep On Cruising In The Free World

by TPH » Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:34 pm

I wouldn't say that they are "objectively" terrible, but their music bores me to death. To me, it sounds like really gifted musicians doing a clinic, not a band playing actual music. I can understand why some people enjoy them, but for me, this is the most uninteresting kind of bands. Technical skills should be a tool to produce great music, not an end in itself.

And that SYL cover. Holy fucking shit.
    Wacken 2003
    Fury Fest 2004-2005, Hellfest 2006 to 2019
    70K 2017 - cabin 2250
    70K 2018 - cabin 8215
    70K 2019 - cabin 10xxx (can't fucking remember)
    cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:43 pm

And their output post 2000 was absolutely terrible according to a lot of reviews:

http://www.metal-rules.com/review/viewr ... ear=&pos=5

http://www.metal-rules.com/review/viewr ... ear=&pos=4

http://www.metalreviews.com/reviews/album/4406

Although their most recent output is apparently a bit better than the above :)
    Upcoming Gigs:
    Wolves-In-The-Throne-Room-/-Halestorm-/-70K
    2020 Wishlist
    Almanac-/-Ancient-Bards-/-Atlas-Pain-/-Avantasia-/-Battlelore-/-Beast-In-Black-/-Believer-/-Bloodbound-/-Brothers-of-Metal-/-Civil-War-/-Circus-Maximus-/-Claymorean-/-Dark-Moor-/-Dark-Sarah-/-Demons-&-Wizards-/-Diabulus-In-Musica-/-Edguy-/-Elvenking-/-Ex-Libris-/-Exit-Eden-/-Frozen-Crown-/-Galderia-/-Heavatar-/-In-This-Moment-/-Jaldaboath-/-Kaledon-/-Kalidia-/-Living-Sacrifice-/-Magnum-/-Metalite-/-Neopera-/-Orden-Ogan-/-Pathfinder-/-Poisonblack-/-Powerwolf-/-The-Privateer-/-Pythia-/-Ravenia-/-Revamp-/-Running-Wild-/-Serenity-/-Sleeping-Romance-/-Sojourner-/-Tarot-/-Ten-/-Thaurorod-/-The-Dark-Element-/-The-Skull-/-Tourniquet-/-Trick-or-Treat-/-Trillium-/-Unisonic-/-Valhalore-/-Within-Temptation
    Speedy
    Ensign

by Speedy » Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:50 pm

TPH wrote:I wouldn't say that they are "objectively" terrible, but their music bores me to death. To me, it sounds like really gifted musicians doing a clinic, not a band playing actual music. I can understand why some people enjoy them, but for me, this is the most uninteresting kind of bands. Technical skills should be a tool to produce great music, not an end in itself.

Agreed! I watched a bit of Steve Vai (very different musically, of course) at Sweden Rock last year, but had to leave as ist got boring fast. While he's an extremely skilled guitarist, good music consits of much more than just guitar-wanking.
    70k 2013 cabin 4008
    70k 2014 cabin 2565
    70k 2015 cabin 8687
    70k 2016 cabin 7607
    70k 2017 cabin 6667

70k 2018 M.I.A.
    70k 2019 cabin 7690
    (Part) Norwegian Wishlist: -Audrey.Horne-/-Borknagar-/-Chrome.Division-/-Circus.Maximus-/-Dimension.F3h-/-Divided.Multitude-/-Djerv-/-Einherjer-/-Enslaved-/-Evig.Natt-/-Glittertind-/-Gothminister-/-Highland.Glory-/-ICS.Vortex-/-Ihsahn-/-Jorn-/-Leprous-/-Lumsk-/-Memorized.Dreams-/-Midnattsol-/-Mortemia-/-Nergard-/-Pagan's.Mind-/-Savn-/-Sirenia-/-Svölk-/-Tellus.Requiem-/-Triosphere-/-Viper.Solfa-/-Vredehammer-/-Vreid-/-Withem-

International Wishlist: -Abinchova-/-Amberian.Dawn-/-Amon.Amarth-/-Ancient.Bards-/-And.Then.She.Came-/-Arch.Enemy-/-Avantasia-/-Battle.Beast-/-Battlelore-/-Beyond.the.Bridge-/-Blind.Guardian-/-Dalriada-/-Dark.Sarah-/-Demons&Wizards-/-Diabulus.in.Musica-/-Die.Apocalyptischen.Reiter-/-Doro-/-Draconian-/-Dragonforce-/-Dream.Theater-/-Eisbrecher-/-Elvenking-/-Epica-/-Equilibrium-/-Evenoire-/-Ex.Libris-/-Fejd-/-Finntroll-/-Finsterforst-/-Freedom.Call-/-Fylgja-/-Грай-/-Grailknights-/-Grave.Digger-/-Haggard-/-Hammerfall-/-Heavatar-/-Heldmaschine-/-Helloween-/-Ignea-/-Izegrim-/-Jaded.Star-/-Калевала-/-Kivimetsän.Druidi-/-Korpiklaani-/-Lacuna.Coil-/-Magistina.Saga-/-Megaherz-/-Metsatöll-/-Moonsorrow-/-Moonspell-/-Månegarm-/-Невидь-/-Nightmare-/-Nightwish-/-Nine.Treasures-/-November-7-/-OOMPH!-/-Orden.Ogan-/-Orphaned.Land-/-Powerwolf-/-Queensrÿche-/-Ragnaröek-/-Raubtier-/-Rhapsody.(any.edition)-/-Running.Wild-/-Sabaton-/-Saltatio.Mortis-/-Schwarzer.Engel-/-Serenity-/-Seven.Kingdoms-/-Seven.Spires-/-Skálmöld-/-Sleeping.Romance-/-Смута-/-Sonata.Arctica-/-Stahlmann-/-SuidAkrA-/-Symphony.X-/-Tarja-/-Tengger.Cavalry-/-The.Privateer-/-Turisas-/-U.D.O.-/-Vanden.Plas-/-Varg-/-Vika-/-Vogelfrey-/-Volbeat-/-VUUR-/-White.Shadow-/-Winterstorm-/-Wintersun-/-Within.Temptation-/-Xandria-
    bernabeit
    Petty Officer

by bernabeit » Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:19 pm

Sweet Carcass!!! That's a 2 setter :headbanger:

I reckon the next one is into the depths of HELL!!
    Wishlist: Battlelore, Bloodbath, Borknagar, Communic, Dimmu Borgir, Dying Fetus, Gojira, Hypocrisy, Legion of the Damned, Midnattsol, Nightwish, Persuader, Power Trip, Suidakra, Warbringer, Whispered, Within Temptation.
  • sara
    Petty Officer

by sara » Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:34 pm

Downvod wrote:
    TPH wrote:Cryptopsy :cry:
    God, no :cry:

I'm still crying (sulfuric acid tears, of course) every time I'm reminded of that band, and their TERRIBLE cover of Strapping Young Lad's "Oh My Fucking God". This is honestly the worst cover I have ever heard, even worse than Six Feet Under covering Iron Maiden or AC/DC.

So... besides the failed cover, are they really that bad?

Yikes, I didn't know about the SYL cover. Oh My Fucking God isn't something that I think a lot of other bands could pull off, not because it's so technically challenging or anything, but it has a sort of feeling to it, one that makes more sense for Townsend. He just had that kind of neurotic, bipolar mad scientist vibe with SYL, and that's what makes the song what it is.

Spotify has been throwing Cryptopsy at me lately, and I've liked what I've heard. Maybe it's the old stuff?
    Warbringer-/-King-Parrot-/-Lich-King-/-Angelus-Apatrida-/-Benighted-/-The-Crown-/-Aeon-/-Witchery-/-Occultist-/-Black-Breath-/-Chthonic-/-Alestorm-/-Devin-Townsend-/-Zimmers-Hole-/-Party-Thrash-/-Grindcore-/-Stoner-Bands-/-Folk-Metal-/-Heavier-Prog
    metalmaciejmetal
    Chief Petty Officer

by metalmaciejmetal » Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:56 pm

cowboy71 wrote:And their output post 2000 was absolutely terrible according to a lot of reviews:

I can speak about Once Was Not. I think its a decent album. Its weird, really, but it isnt a bad album. It takes a couple of times to get used to it. Some cool experimentation. After that, Lord Worm left. Going forward they sort of strayed away from the death metal roots, more of a Deathcore thing
    Survivor 2016 and 2017
  • Godflesh
    Ensign

by Godflesh » Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:10 pm

From the Very Depths of Hell... Please not Venom, they were a big disappointment for me in 2015.

Oceano is from the US, and their first album is called "Depths".
    It would certainly fill the br00talz void, but we haven't had a deathcore band yet.
    I actually really like them.
    Agnostic.Front-/-Akercocke-/-Alien.Weaponry-/-Amon.Amarth-/-Anaal.Nathrakh-/-Animals.As.Leaders-/-Behemoth-/-Between.The.Buried.And.Me-/-Black.Crown.Initiate-/-Black.Star.Riders-/-Body.Count-/-Brujeria-/-Candiria-/-Candlemass-/-Cattle.Decapitation-/-Combichrist-/-Dark.Angel-/-Deicide-/-Dethklok-/-Dimmu.Borgir-/-DRI-/-Entombed-/-Evile-/-Fear.Factory-/-Flotsam.and.Jetsam-/-Frog.Leap-/-Ghost-/-Godflesh-/-Gojira-/-Green.Carnation-/-Gutalax-/-Hatebreed-/-Iron.Reagan-/-Jungle.Rot-/-KMFDM-/-Kvelertak-/-Lost.Society-/-Loudblast-/-Manowar-/-Melechesh-/-Memoriam-/-Mercyful.Fate-/-Ministry-/-M.O.D.-/-Morbid.Angel-/-Morgoth-/-Municipal.Waste-/-My.Dying.Bride-/-Nails-/-Nuclear.Assault-/-Pig.Destroyer-/-Power.Trip-/-Protector-/-Rivers.Of.Nihil-/-Ross.The.Boss-/-Sacred.Reich-/-Saxon-/-Six.Feet.Under-/-Sleep-/-Stormtroopers.of.Beer-/-Suffocation-/-Suicidal.Tendencies-/-Tankard-/-Terrorizer-/-The.Crown-/-The.Faceless-/-The.Great.Old.Ones-/-The.Zenith.Passage-/-Thin.Lizzy-/-Triptykon-/-Trust-/-Tsjuder-/-Twelve.Foot.Ninja-/-UFO-/-Upon.A.Burning.Body-/-Vio-lence-/-Wrath-/-Xibalba
  • Metaladdict187
    Chief Petty Officer

by Metaladdict187 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:25 pm

Hmmmmm.... sirenia maybe??? The have a lot of aquatic themes. I know most of you would hate that ahnnoincement, but my wife and i would be happy.
    2012 Cabin 2122
    2014 Cabin 2060
    2016 Cabin 2602
    2017 Cabin 2668
  • Andy
    THE SKIPPER

... And Then You'll Beg To Be Onbroad!

by Andy » Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:39 pm

Embarkation day is almost upon us Sailors... we bet you're all begging to be onbroad The Original, The World's Biggest Heavy Metal Cruise!

Please welcome the legends from Montreal, CRYPTOPSY, onrboad 70000TONS OF METAL 2017!

Who's going to be the last one? You shall know... SOON!

captaingabbeh
    Chief Petty Officer

Re: ... And Then You'll Beg To Be Onbroad!

by captaingabbeh » Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:48 pm

So.. two zero-setters for me!

2015-2018,
    Goth Cruise 2019

Wishlist: Myrath-Skindred-Rotting Christ-Amorphis-Hypocrisy-Demons & Wizards-3TEETH-Emperor-Psyclon Nine-Ihsahn-Batushka-Anaal Nathrakh-Epica-Aeternam-Nightwish-Starkill-Primordial-Zeal & Ardor-Powerwolf
    metalmaciejmetal
    Chief Petty Officer

by metalmaciejmetal » Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:49 pm

Tabarnak! Cryptopsy to rescue in such short notice
    Survivor 2016 and 2017
  • Jotunheimr
    Midshipman

Re: Most Unfortunate News!

by Jotunheimr » Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:11 pm

Monmisreal wrote:
    bodomdragon wrote:Chill dude, and never take the wookie too seriously. Never seen a troll before? :D

Surely he knows what they are! Turilli has had to written songs about them, he just might be preparing his sword and bow n arrow!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
    2015: 6511
    2016: 7455
    2020: 3240

2020 Wishlist: Arafel-/-Arcturus-/-Borknagar-/-DerWegEinerFreiheit-/-Equilibrium-/-Falkenbach-/-Fejd-/-Finntroll-/-Finsterforst-/-Glittertind-/-Haggard-/-HarakiriForTheSky-/-Kampfar-/-Korpiklaani-/-Lumsk-/-Manegarm-/-Metsatoll-/-Moonsorrow-/-Necrophagist-/-Norther-/-Otyg-/-Primordial-/-Savatage-/-Skyforger-/-Solstafir-/-Swashbuckle-/-Testament-/-Thyrfing-/-ToxicHolocaust-/-Varg-/-Vintersorg-/-Waylander
    Gratch
    Chief Petty Officer

by Gratch » Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:19 pm

That subject "...and you will beg to be onboard".

Anaal Nathrakh has a song on their latest titled "And you will beg for our secrets". Hmmm...
    Survivor 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020 (booked)

Ultimate Wishlist Bands
    Anaal Nathrakh - Behemoth - Igorrr - Khemmis - Myrkur - The Ocean - Pallbearer - Sigh - Tribulation - Sentient Horror - Turisas - Wilderun - Witherscape - Zeal & Ardor
    cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:21 pm

Gratch wrote:That subject "...and you will beg to be onboard".

Anaal Nathrakh has a song on their latest titled "And you will beg for our secrets". Hmmm...

Nah you are reading way too much into it mate.

Cryptopsy has an album called "...And Then You'll Beg".
    Upcoming Gigs:
    Wolves-In-The-Throne-Room-/-Halestorm-/-70K
    2020 Wishlist
    Almanac-/-Ancient-Bards-/-Atlas-Pain-/-Avantasia-/-Battlelore-/-Beast-In-Black-/-Believer-/-Bloodbound-/-Brothers-of-Metal-/-Civil-War-/-Circus-Maximus-/-Claymorean-/-Dark-Moor-/-Dark-Sarah-/-Demons-&-Wizards-/-Diabulus-In-Musica-/-Edguy-/-Elvenking-/-Ex-Libris-/-Exit-Eden-/-Frozen-Crown-/-Galderia-/-Heavatar-/-In-This-Moment-/-Jaldaboath-/-Kaledon-/-Kalidia-/-Living-Sacrifice-/-Magnum-/-Metalite-/-Neopera-/-Orden-Ogan-/-Pathfinder-/-Poisonblack-/-Powerwolf-/-The-Privateer-/-Pythia-/-Ravenia-/-Revamp-/-Running-Wild-/-Serenity-/-Sleeping-Romance-/-Sojourner-/-Tarot-/-Ten-/-Thaurorod-/-The-Dark-Element-/-The-Skull-/-Tourniquet-/-Trick-or-Treat-/-Trillium-/-Unisonic-/-Valhalore-/-Within-Temptation
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:23 pm

That album is excellent. They'd be a two setter for me. They have played the cruise before. Was very odd to see on the pool deck at 10am. :lol:
    I should get around to updating my signature
  • Godflesh
    Ensign

by Godflesh » Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:27 pm

Cryptopsy is a legit replacement for Nile, thank you Skipper. :deathmetal:
    After PSYCROPTIC and CRYPTOSY, I predict the last band will be CYSTIC PORC, from France :lol:
    Agnostic.Front-/-Akercocke-/-Alien.Weaponry-/-Amon.Amarth-/-Anaal.Nathrakh-/-Animals.As.Leaders-/-Behemoth-/-Between.The.Buried.And.Me-/-Black.Crown.Initiate-/-Black.Star.Riders-/-Body.Count-/-Brujeria-/-Candiria-/-Candlemass-/-Cattle.Decapitation-/-Combichrist-/-Dark.Angel-/-Deicide-/-Dethklok-/-Dimmu.Borgir-/-DRI-/-Entombed-/-Evile-/-Fear.Factory-/-Flotsam.and.Jetsam-/-Frog.Leap-/-Ghost-/-Godflesh-/-Gojira-/-Green.Carnation-/-Gutalax-/-Hatebreed-/-Iron.Reagan-/-Jungle.Rot-/-KMFDM-/-Kvelertak-/-Lost.Society-/-Loudblast-/-Manowar-/-Melechesh-/-Memoriam-/-Mercyful.Fate-/-Ministry-/-M.O.D.-/-Morbid.Angel-/-Morgoth-/-Municipal.Waste-/-My.Dying.Bride-/-Nails-/-Nuclear.Assault-/-Pig.Destroyer-/-Power.Trip-/-Protector-/-Rivers.Of.Nihil-/-Ross.The.Boss-/-Sacred.Reich-/-Saxon-/-Six.Feet.Under-/-Sleep-/-Stormtroopers.of.Beer-/-Suffocation-/-Suicidal.Tendencies-/-Tankard-/-Terrorizer-/-The.Crown-/-The.Faceless-/-The.Great.Old.Ones-/-The.Zenith.Passage-/-Thin.Lizzy-/-Triptykon-/-Trust-/-Tsjuder-/-Twelve.Foot.Ninja-/-UFO-/-Upon.A.Burning.Body-/-Vio-lence-/-Wrath-/-Xibalba
  • Phoenix
    Sub-Lieutenant

by Phoenix » Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:38 pm

And now for the Gojira replacement... The hype intensifies.
    Edge.of.Sanity-†-Eternal.Tears.of.Sorrow-†-Katatonia-†-Melechesh-†-November's.Doom-†-Novembre-†-Oceans.of.Slumber-†-Silent.Civilian-†-SOILWORK-†-Wardruna-†-Whispered-†-

Save these guys for 2021, Andy.
  • Godflesh
    Ensign

by Godflesh » Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:51 pm

BTW, someone should warn those Québécois that the temperature in Haiti is currently "Ciboire ch'tout trempe!"
  • Godflesh
    Ensign

by Godflesh » Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:53 pm

Phoenix wrote:And now for the Gojira replacement... The hype intensifies.

I'm afraid it was Carcass... After all, they were at the same level on the wish list.
    I'm guessing Carcass was the "bonus" band, and that the next band was the planned last headliner.
    Notice the repeat of an absence of hint.
  • bodomdragon
    Sub-Lieutenant

by bodomdragon » Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:42 am

So the "depths" clue was simply pointless? That's lame.
    Wishlist:
    AETERNAM--Alestorm--Allegaeon--
    Amorphis--Annihilator--Anthriel--AXXIS--AVANTASIA--Be'lakor--Borealis--CAIN'S.OFFERING--CALIGULA'S.HORSE--Children.of.Bodom--Countless.Skies--Dark.Tranquillity--Devin.Townsend--Dimmu.Borgir--DGM--Distorted.Harmony--DRAGONFORCE--Dream.Evil--DREAM.THEATER--DYNAZTY--ECLIPSE(Sweden)--Equilibrium--Freedom.call--Fleshgod.Apocalypse--GAMMA.RAY--Haken--Helloween--IN.MOURNING--INSOMNIUM--Kamelot--Keep.Of.Kalessin--KISSIN'.DYNAMITE--Kreator--Masterplan--Mechina--Mercenary--Meshiaak--Moonsorrow--Need--OMNIUM.GATHERUM--ORDEN.OGAN--Pathfinder--Pretty.Maids--Powerglove--Pyramaze--SCAR.SYMMETRY--Serious.Black--SABATON--Seven.Spires--SEVENTH.WONDER--Shade.Empire--Shadow.Gallery--SOEN--Soilwork--Stratovarius--SYMPHONY.X--TERAMAZE--_Tomorrows.Eve--Triosphere--Therion--THRESHOLD--Unisonic--Volbeat--VOYAGER--WIDEK--Wintersun--Wolfheart

2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019: Survivor | 2020: BOOKED
  • Godflesh
    Ensign

by Godflesh » Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:18 am

bodomdragon wrote:So the "depths" clue was simply pointless? That's lame.

Ensign Bodomdragon, remember your training, and resume your position.
    "The depths" is analogous to "the pit", which sometimes refers to extreme metal, like black and death.
    For example, in the USA, a popular example is "Into the pit", an extreme metal segment of the SiriusXM "Liquid Metal" channel, which I often hear in my car at 3am when I get back from... work ;-)
    Last edited by Godflesh on Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
  • bodomdragon
    Sub-Lieutenant

by bodomdragon » Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:19 am

Godflesh wrote:

"The depths" is analogic to "the pit", which sometimes refers to extreme metal, like black and death.
    For example, in the USA, a popular example is "Into the pit", an extreme metal segment of the SiriusXM "Liquid Metal" channel, which I often hear in my car at 3am when I get back from... work.

Damn, that was so obvious! But hey, English is not my native language :D
    Wishlist:
    Amorphis--Annihilator--Anthriel--AXXIS--AVANTASIA--Be'lakor--Borealis--CAIN'S.OFFERING--CALIGULA'S.HORSE--Children.of.Bodom--Countless.Skies--Dark.Tranquillity--Devin.Townsend--Dimmu.Borgir--DGM--Distorted.Harmony--DRAGONFORCE--Dream.Evil--DREAM.THEATER--DYNAZTY--ECLIPSE(Sweden)--Equilibrium--Freedom.call--Fleshgod.Apocalypse--GAMMA.RAY--Haken--Helloween--IN.MOURNING--INSOMNIUM--Kamelot--Keep.Of.Kalessin--KISSIN'.DYNAMITE--Kreator--Masterplan--Mechina--Mercenary--Meshiaak--Moonsorrow--Need--OMNIUM.GATHERUM--ORDEN.OGAN--Pathfinder--Pretty.Maids--Powerglove--Pyramaze--SCAR.SYMMETRY--Serious.Black--SABATON--Seven.Spires--SEVENTH.WONDER--Shade.Empire--Shadow.Gallery--SOEN--Soilwork--Stratovarius--SYMPHONY.X--TERAMAZE--_Tomorrows.Eve--Triosphere--Therion--THRESHOLD--Unisonic--Volbeat--VOYAGER--WIDEK--Wintersun--Wolfheart

Zed3
    Crewman

by Zed3 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:31 am

bodomdragon wrote:
    Godflesh wrote:

"The depths" is analogic to "the pit", which sometimes refers to extreme metal, like black and death.
    For example, in the USA, a popular example is "Into the pit", an extreme metal segment of the SiriusXM "Liquid Metal" channel, which I often hear in my car at 3am when I get back from... work.

My take is that "the depths" was referring to the "crypt" part of Cryptopsy ;-)
    2017: Survivor - 2018 & 2019: :( - 2020: nope again :(

Wishlist 2020:
    Aephanemer-/-Aether.Realm-/-Alestorm-/-Audrey.Horne-/-Amon.Amarth-/-Be'lakor-/-Belzebubs-/-Blind.Guardian-/-Biohazard-/-Bucovina-/-Byzantine-/-Dalriada-/-Dirty.Shirt-/-Einherjer-/-Exit.Eden-/-Fractal.Gates-/-Frozen.Crown-/-Ghoultown-/-Gojira-/-Grand.Magus-/-Immortal-/-Immortal.Guardian-/-Imperialist-/-Inferi-/-Khemmis-/-Kobra.and.the.Lotus-/-Lonewolf-/-Lör-/-Mantar-/-Mongol-/-Moonspell-/-Municipal.Waste-/-Myrath-/-Nailed.To.Obscurity-/-No.Return-/-Paladin-/-Palantir-/-Power.Trip-/-Savage.Machine-/-Seventh.Wonder-/-Skull.Fist-/-Soilwork-/-Striker-/-Svart.Crown-/-Tankard-/-Temptation's.Wings-/-The.Crown-/-The.Night.Flight.Orchestra-/-Troldhaugen-/-TrollfesT-/-Undrask-/-Vanden.Plas-/-Venom.Prison-/-VUUR-/-Warkings
  • Godflesh
    Ensign

by Godflesh » Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:33 am

bodomdragon wrote:
    Godflesh wrote:

"The depths" is analogous to "the pit", which sometimes refers to extreme metal, like black and death.

Me neither :-) I was just spitballing, I'm never sober^H^H^H^H^H serious on this forum, because to me it represents what 70k is, FUN!!

EDIT: Analogic->analogous, and ^H means "Control H", which was a way to delete the character on the left on 1970s terminals. Sadly, this forum doesn't support strikeout characters. Now this was me being serious :-)
  • bodomdragon
    Sub-Lieutenant

by bodomdragon » Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:09 am

Zed3 wrote:My take is that "the depths" was referring to the "crypt" part of Cryptopsy ;-)

Fair enough... but I think Underworld was a better fit for the clue, so the next band better be Symphony X! :bitch:
    Wishlist:

AceHugger
    Petty Officer

by AceHugger » Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:57 am

Zed3 wrote:
    bodomdragon wrote:
    Godflesh wrote:Ensign Bodomdragon, remember your training, and resume your position.

My take is that "the depths" was referring to the "crypt" part of Cryptopsy ;-)

I was about to post this very thing....
    2017 - Deck 8 -... 8372 .
    2018 - Deck 8 -... 8372 .
  • sara
    Petty Officer

by sara » Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:39 am

I'm happy for the Cyrptopsy add. I gave a listen again, maybe there are some bad reviews, but I'm down. That SYL cover really is cringey though, I'll agree there. The vocals are completely wrong for that song. The vocals kind of make that song, so...

I'm hoping for Hypocrisy next, but I don't have my heart set.
    Warbringer-/-King-Parrot-/-Lich-King-/-Angelus-Apatrida-/-Benighted-/-The-Crown-/-Aeon-/-Witchery-/-Occultist-/-Black-Breath-/-Chthonic-/-Alestorm-/-Devin-Townsend-/-Zimmers-Hole-/-Party-Thrash-/-Grindcore-/-Stoner-Bands-/-Folk-Metal-/-Heavier-Prog
    General Zod
    Chief Petty Officer

by General Zod » Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:13 am

Godflesh wrote:
    Phoenix wrote:And now for the Gojira replacement... The hype intensifies.

I'm afraid it was Carcass... After all, they were at the same level on the wish list.
    I'm guessing Carcass was the "bonus" band, and that the next band was the planned last headliner.
    Notice the repeat of an absence of hint.

I'm not sure I follow. If Carcass is the replacement for Gojira because they "were at the same level", how does that differ in any way if he now needs to replace Carcass with a band who's also at the same level?

I would also submit Carcass doesn't really measure up to Gojira in status. Using my geography as a quick barometer, Gojira just came around as a headliner and sold out a club for 3,000. Carcass came around with significant support (Deafheaven and Inter Arma) and didn't sell out a club that holds 1,000.

Seems to me Carcass' name was provided now to buy a bit more time to line up another headliner. But I guess we'll know soon enough.
    ***WISH-LIST***Accept-†-Aether-Realm-†-Ajattara-†-Almanac-†-Amon-Amarth-†-Antropomorphia-†-Anubis-Gate-†-Ashes-of-Ares-†-Aska-†-Asphyx-†-Bastard-Sapling-†-Be'lakor-†-Behemoth-†-Below-†-Binary-Creed-†-Blind-Guardian-†-Blood-Red-Throne-†-Brainstorm-†-Brothers-of-Metal-†-Craven-Idol-†-Cult-of-Luna-†-Dark-Tranquillity-†-Darkest-Era-†-Deafheaven-†-Demons-&-Wizards-†-Diviner-†-Ex-Deo-†-Fallujah-†-Gatecreeper-†-God-Dethroned-†-Gorgoroth-†-Grand-Magus-†-Hyperion-†-Iced-Earth-†-Immolation-†-InnerWish-†-Inquisition-†-Iron-Savior-†-Jag-Panzer-†-Junius-†-Manimal-†-Manowar-†-Mantar-†-Mastodon-†-Mechina-†-Mgla-†-My-Dying-Bride-†-Mystic-Prophecy-†-Necrot-†-Nevermore-†-Night-Demon-†-Nokturnal-Mortem-†-Oak-Pantheon-†-Phrenelith-†-Pillorian-†-Powerwolf-†-Primal-Fear†-Primordial-†-Rotting-Christ-†-Samael-†-Shade-Empire-†-Sorcerer-†-Sulphur-Aeon-†-Sumerlands-†-Temple-of-Void-†-Thyrfing-†-Tribulation-†-Triptykon-†-UADA-†-Unleash-the-Archers-†-Visigoth-†-Vredehammer-†-Wiegedood-†-Wildernessking-†-Woe-†-Zhrine
    Gratch
    Chief Petty Officer

by Gratch » Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:22 am

cowboy71 wrote:

Nah you are reading way too much into it mate.

Cryptopsy has an album called "...And Then You'll Beg".

Bummer. Cryptopsy's not my thing, but would have loved to see AN.
    Survivor 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020 (booked)

Ultimate Wishlist Bands
    Anaal Nathrakh - Behemoth - Igorrr - Khemmis - Myrkur - The Ocean - Pallbearer - Sigh - Tribulation - Sentient Horror - Turisas - Wilderun - Witherscape - Zeal & Ardor
  • Phoenix
    Sub-Lieutenant

by Phoenix » Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:13 am

General Zod wrote:I'm not sure I follow. If Carcass is the replacement for Gojira because they "were at the same level", how does that differ in any way if he now needs to replace Carcass with a band who's also at the same level?

I would also submit Carcass doesn't really measure up to Gojira in status. Using my geography as a quick barometer, Gojira just came around as a headliner and sold out a club for 3,000. Carcass came around with significant support (Deafheaven and Inter Arma) and didn't sell out a club that holds 1,000.

Seems to me Carcass' name was provided now to buy a bit more time to line up another headliner. But I guess we'll know soon enough.

This is what I was thinking. Something with the status - Meshuggah, AA, maybe even Cannibal Corpse (I don't know which names are big anymore, I just like what I like). Something where you go "yeah, they could headline easily."
    Edge.of.Sanity-†-Eternal.Tears.of.Sorrow-†-Katatonia-†-Melechesh-†-November's.Doom-†-Novembre-†-Oceans.of.Slumber-†-Silent.Civilian-†-SOILWORK-†-Wardruna-†-Whispered-†-

TPH
    Chief Petty Officer

by TPH » Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:25 am

I've already seen Meshuggah last week, and I'll see then once again with pleasure. But I'm quite certain that they had conflicting dates with the cruise.
    Wacken 2003
    Fury Fest 2004-2005, Hellfest 2006 to 2019
    70K 2017 - cabin 2250
    70K 2018 - cabin 8215
    70K 2019 - cabin 10xxx (can't fucking remember)
  • Phoenix
    Sub-Lieutenant

by Phoenix » Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:43 am

TPH wrote:I've already seen Meshuggah last week, and I'll see then once again with pleasure. But I'm quite certain that they had conflicting dates with the cruise.

Fair enough - I was more just dropping names as examples than suggestions.

Sgt. B
    Lieutenant

by Sgt. B » Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:48 am

TPH wrote:I've already seen Meshuggah last week, and I'll see then once again with pleasure. But I'm quite certain that they had conflicting dates with the cruise.

A quick look shows that Meshuggah does not list any shows on their website until February 22.
    1914-Abbath-Aeon-Ahab-Akercocke-Alcest-AliceCooper-Alestorm-AmonAmarth-Amorphis-AnaalNathrakh-Anathema-AnnekeVanGeirsbergen/VUUR-ArmoredSaint-Asphyx-AtTheGates-Auðn-Ayreon-BarrenEarth-Behemoth-Be'lakor-BlackBreath-BlackFast-BlindGuardian-Borknagar-Brainstorm-CallenishCircle-Candlemass-Carcass-CarpenterBrut-ChelseaWolfe-CirithUngol-Cloak-Conan-CravenIdol-Cruachan-CryptSermon-CultOfLuna-CutUp-DarkAngel-DarkFortress-DeadCongregation-DeathAngel-DemolitionHammer-Demons&Wizards-DevinTownsend-Dismember-DraggedIntoSunlight-Dyscarnate-EdgeOfSanity-ElectricWizard-Emperor-Enforcer-Enshine-Entombed-Entrails-EsotericUK-Evocation-Exodus-Evoken-Exhorder-Falkenbach-FatesWarning-Fen-Feral-Firespawn-Flotsam&Jetsam-ForgottenTomb-GeneralSurgery-Ghost-GhostBath-Ghoul-Godflesh-Gojira-Gorguts-Gorod-GrandMagus-Grave-GraveMiasma-GreenCarnation-Haemorrhage-HammersOfMisfortune-Hate-HighSpirits-HoodedMenace-Hypocrisy-IcedEarth-Ihsahn-Immolation-ImperiumDekadenz-InTheWoods-Incantation-InterArma-IronReagan-Izegrim-Kadavar-Kampfar-KeepOfKalessin-Khemmis-Khonsu-KingDiamond/MercyfulFate-KingGoat-Kriegsmaschine-LaazRockit-LacunaCoil-LegionOfTheDamned-LIK-LimbonicArt-Loudness-Lvcifyre(UK)-Manegarm-Melechesh-Memoriam-Mgla-MiseryIndex-Mistur-MonsterMagnet-Moonsorrow-Moonspell-MournfulCongregation-MunicipalWaste-MyDyingBride-Myrkur-MysticProphecy-Nails-Necrot-NovembersDoom-Novembre-NuclearAssault-Okera-Opeth-OrangeGoblin-OranssiPazuzu-Orchid-Overkill-PagansMind-Panopticon-Perturbator-Portal-Powerwolf-Primordial-Profetus-PowerTrip-Prong-Queensryche-RottenSound-RottingChrist-S.O.D.-Sabbat(UK)-SacredReich-Sanctuary-Saor-Sarke-Saturnus-Satyricon-Saxon-Schammasch-SecretsOfTheMoon-ShapeOfDespair-SkeletalRemains-Skeletonwitch-Skepticism-Skyclad-Skyforger-Sleep-SloughFeg-Solstafir-SufferingHour-SuicidalAngels-SulphurAeon-SvartCrown-Sylosis-TempleOfVoid-Testament-TheCrown-TheGathering-TheGreatOldOnes-TheHaunted-TheLurkingFear-TheOcean-TheRuinsOfBeverast-Therion-Thulcandra-Thyrfing-Tribulation-Triptykon-Uada-Ulcerate-Unleashed-Vader-Vemod-Vio-Lence-Visigoth-Voices(UK)-Vredehammer-Vreid-WakeTheDead-Watain-Wayfarer-Waylander-Windhand-Winterfylleth-Witherscape-WithinTemptation-Wolf-WolvesInTheThroneRoom-Yob-Zhrine

2012: Survivor
    2014: Survivor
    2015: Survivor
    2016: Survivor
    2017: Survivor
    2018: Survivor
    2019: Survivor
    BtH(2012): Survivor
    Sgt. B
    Lieutenant

by Sgt. B » Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:55 am

Old Cryptopsy - I like. New Cryptopsy - I don't care for.

I lost interest in them when they got the current vocalist & started to move toward a deathcore sound. I really haven't heard/cared about any material they have done since the awful "Unspoken King" album.

I understand it is late in the game, but this is a sub-par replacement for Nile in my view.
    1914-Abbath-Aeon-Ahab-Akercocke-Alcest-AliceCooper-Alestorm-AmonAmarth-Amorphis-AnaalNathrakh-Anathema-AnnekeVanGeirsbergen/VUUR-ArmoredSaint-Asphyx-AtTheGates-Auðn-Ayreon-BarrenEarth-Behemoth-Be'lakor-BlackBreath-BlackFast-BlindGuardian-Borknagar-Brainstorm-CallenishCircle-Candlemass-Carcass-CarpenterBrut-ChelseaWolfe-CirithUngol-Cloak-Conan-CravenIdol-Cruachan-CryptSermon-CultOfLuna-CutUp-DarkAngel-DarkFortress-DeadCongregation-DeathAngel-DemolitionHammer-Demons&Wizards-DevinTownsend-Dismember-DraggedIntoSunlight-Dyscarnate-EdgeOfSanity-ElectricWizard-Emperor-Enforcer-Enshine-Entombed-Entrails-EsotericUK-Evocation-Exodus-Evoken-Exhorder-Falkenbach-FatesWarning-Fen-Feral-Firespawn-Flotsam&Jetsam-ForgottenTomb-GeneralSurgery-Ghost-GhostBath-Ghoul-Godflesh-Gojira-Gorguts-Gorod-GrandMagus-Grave-GraveMiasma-GreenCarnation-Haemorrhage-HammersOfMisfortune-Hate-HighSpirits-HoodedMenace-Hypocrisy-IcedEarth-Ihsahn-Immolation-ImperiumDekadenz-InTheWoods-Incantation-InterArma-IronReagan-Izegrim-Kadavar-Kampfar-KeepOfKalessin-Khemmis-Khonsu-KingDiamond/MercyfulFate-KingGoat-Kriegsmaschine-LaazRockit-LacunaCoil-LegionOfTheDamned-LIK-LimbonicArt-Loudness-Lvcifyre(UK)-Manegarm-Melechesh-Memoriam-Mgla-MiseryIndex-Mistur-MonsterMagnet-Moonsorrow-Moonspell-MournfulCongregation-MunicipalWaste-MyDyingBride-Myrkur-MysticProphecy-Nails-Necrot-NovembersDoom-Novembre-NuclearAssault-Okera-Opeth-OrangeGoblin-OranssiPazuzu-Orchid-Overkill-PagansMind-Panopticon-Perturbator-Portal-Powerwolf-Primordial-Profetus-PowerTrip-Prong-Queensryche-RottenSound-RottingChrist-S.O.D.-Sabbat(UK)-SacredReich-Sanctuary-Saor-Sarke-Saturnus-Satyricon-Saxon-Schammasch-SecretsOfTheMoon-ShapeOfDespair-SkeletalRemains-Skeletonwitch-Skepticism-Skyclad-Skyforger-Sleep-SloughFeg-Solstafir-SufferingHour-SuicidalAngels-SulphurAeon-SvartCrown-Sylosis-TempleOfVoid-Testament-TheCrown-TheGathering-TheGreatOldOnes-TheHaunted-TheLurkingFear-TheOcean-TheRuinsOfBeverast-Therion-Thulcandra-Thyrfing-Tribulation-Triptykon-Uada-Ulcerate-Unleashed-Vader-Vemod-Vio-Lence-Visigoth-Voices(UK)-Vredehammer-Vreid-WakeTheDead-Watain-Wayfarer-Waylander-Windhand-Winterfylleth-Witherscape-WithinTemptation-Wolf-WolvesInTheThroneRoom-Yob-Zhrine

2012: Survivor
    2014: Survivor
    2015: Survivor
    2016: Survivor
    2017: Survivor
    2018: Survivor
    2019: Survivor
    BtH(2012): Survivor
    Downvod
    Chief Petty Officer

by Downvod » Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:09 am

Sgt. B wrote:Old Cryptopsy - I like. New Cryptopsy - I don't care for.

I lost interest in them when they got the current vocalist & started to move toward a deathcore sound. I really haven't heard/cared about any material they have done since the awful "Unspoken King" album.

I understand it is late in the game, but this is a sub-par replacement for Nile in my view.

Unspoken King was really a one-off experiment with deathcore for the most part. They went right back to Technical Death Metal on the 2012 self-titled album, and the 2015 EP. Might be worth checking both out if you like their old stuff.
    70k 2016: Cabin 7279
    70k 2017: Cabin 6361
    70k 2018: Cabin 1704
    70k 2019: Cabin 1402

Abbath-/-Aeternam-/-Aetherian-/-Aether.Realm-/-Alestorm-/-Amon.Amarth-/-Amorphis-/-Animals.as.Leaders-/-Annihilator-/-Armageddon-/-Arsis-/-Ashes.of.Ares-/-At.the.Gates-/-Battlecross-/-Behemoth-/-BE’LAKOR-/-Beyond.Creation-/-Black.Crown.Initiate-/-Blind.Guardian-/-Bloodred.Hourglass-/-BORKNAGAR-/-Brymir-/-Carach.Angren-/-Carcass-/-Children.of.Bodom-/-Conjurer-/-The.Crown-/-Cthonic-/-Cruachan-/-Dalriada-/-Dark.Tranquillity-/-DEATH.ANGEL-/-Death.to.All-/-Decapitated-/-Demonic.Resurrection-/-De.Profundis-/-Devin.Townsend-/-DGM-/-Dimmu.Borgir-/-Dragonlord-/-Emperor-/-Enslaved-/-Epica-/-Equilibrium-/-ETERNAL.TEARS.OF.SORROW-/-Evocation-/-Exodus-/-Finntroll-/-Galactic.Empire-/-Ghost.Ship.Octavius-/-Ghoul-/-Gojira-/-Havok-/-HYPOCRISY-/-Iced.Earth-/-IHSAHN-/-Immortal-/-Inferi-/-In.Mourning-/-Insomnium-/-Irreversible.Mechanism-/-Keep.of.Kalessin-/-Kreator-/-Kvelertak-/-Lovebites-/-Manegarm-/-Mastodon-/-MELECHESH-/-Mgla-/-MOONSORROW-/-Myrkur-/-Naglfar-/-Necrophagist-/-Necrophobic-/-Obscura-/-Omnium.Gatherum-/-Oni-/-Opeth-/-Orden.Ogan-/-Powerglove-/-Power.Trip-/-Psycroptic-/-Refuge-/-Revocation-/-SOILWORK-/-Solution.45-/-Sunburst-/-SYMPHONY.X-/-Taake-/-Tankard-/-Testament-/-TRIBULATION-/-Uada-/-Vader-/-Vallenfyre-/-Vektor-/-Watain-/-Winterfylleth-/-Winterhymn-/-WINTERSUN-/-Witchery-/-Witherscape-/-Wolfheart-/-Wolves.in.the.Throne.Room
    PacNW
    Crewman

by PacNW » Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:40 am

Since I've always thought of Gojira as "the slow, boring version of Meshuggah" I would be very happy with a Meshuggah announcement. (I haven't listened to all of Gojira's stuff and am open to the idea I could be wrong)

Symphony X is not remotely comparable to Nile or Gojira, but I really love them, so I would be happy if they were announced.
    2012, 2017 - 6223, 2018 - 6387
  • Phoenix
    Sub-Lieutenant

by Phoenix » Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:46 am

Yeah people have been bringing up Symphony X a lot. Eh, the only really big name band I enjoy is Amon Amarth, and after this long I'm fairly certain they're not happening. So I'll happily take another zero setter and stick from the still very large pool of bands I want to see.

I'll see what looks to be quite a lot of you mother fuckers at the Mors Principium Est sets - hell, I'll even get in a pit the second they play God Has Fallen :headbanger:

• Andy
    THE SKIPPER

60 Out Of 60 For Round 7

by Andy » Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:14 am

ALLEGAEON will join you and 2,999 other metalheads hailing from over 70 countries around the globe onbroad 70000TONS OF METAL, The Original, The World's Biggest Heavy Metal Cruise!

We're setting sail to beautiful Labadee in just under a week, so pack your bags Sailors!

That's 60 out of 60. Would it be Overkill to have more? Let us know!

mooyagi
    Captain

Re: 60 Out Of 60 For Round 7

by mooyagi » Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:18 am

We're definitely not getting Overkill because Andy is a huge troll :lol:
    I should get around to updating my signature
    captaingabbeh
    Chief Petty Officer

Re: 60 Out Of 60 For Round 7

by captaingabbeh » Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:29 am

I know nothing about these guys, but I know a bunch of cruisers who will be stoked :)

2015-2018,
    Goth Cruise 2019

Wishlist: Myrath-Skindred-Rotting Christ-Amorphis-Hypocrisy-Demons & Wizards-3TEETH-Emperor-Psyclon Nine-Ihsahn-Batushka-Anaal Nathrakh-Epica-Aeternam-Nightwish-Starkill-Primordial-Zeal & Ardor-Powerwolf
Post Reply 3266 posts