Discuss anything related to 70000TONS OF METAL
User

liser

Rank

Petty Officer

Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:10 pm

Rum runners: checked bags vs carry on

by liser » Sat Jan 28, 2017 12:23 pm

Pretty sure I look into this every year, but I always forget what the consensus is, if there is one.
Year one we checked our bags and they made it through. Last year we carried bags on and they were confiscated. Although year one we hid them pretty well, year 2 we just chucked them in the top of the bag.
Any theories on which way has a higher success rate? I saw an old thread on this, but it kind of went off topic.
Alestorm/Amon-Amarth/Arch-Enemy/Amorphis/Arkona/Blind-Guardian/Cancer-Bats/Cattle-Decapitation/Dimmu-Borgir/Dragonforce/Eluveitie/Ensiferum/Equilibriumor/Fear-Factory/Finntroll/Gormathon/Hypocrisy/In-Extremo/Insomnium/Iron-Reagan/Korpiklaani/Kreator/Manowar/Mayan/Melechesh/Nashville-Pussy/Ne-Obliviscaris/Nekrogoblikon/Nightwish/Powerwolf/Rotting-Christ/Sabaton/Septicflesh/Soulfly/Stam1na/Suicidal-Tendencies/Tau-Cross/Triptykon/Turmion-Katilot/Wintersun
User

Danny24601

Rank

Oiler

Sun Dec 04, 2016 11:15 pm

Re: Rum runners: checked bags vs carry on

by Danny24601 » Sat Jan 28, 2017 12:29 pm

I'm doing this for the first time, and any wisdom here would be appreciated :)
User

ExtraneouS

Rank

Petty Officer

Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:14 pm

Halifax, NS, Canada

by ExtraneouS » Sat Jan 28, 2017 1:13 pm

I remember seeing an idea on here before, but I'm not sure if it will work. Essentially you put the rum runners in your carry on, fairly deep down, then you place a bottle or two of water on top. This way, when you bag sets of a liquid alarm, for lack of a better term, security will open the bag and see the water. You then go "whoopsie daisy, I forgot about the water", and the security guard will roll his/her eyes, possible confiscate the water, and send you on your way.
Wishlist
Aeternam-/-Æther-Realm-/-Alestorm-/-Amon-Amarth-/-Ancient-Bards-/-Ancient-Rites-/-Arch-Enemy-/-Arkona-/-At-The-Gates-/-Avantasia-/-Babymetal-/-Battle-Beast-/-Battlecross-/-Be'lakor-/-Bloodbath-/-Bloodbound-/-Blind-Guardian-/-Brocas-Helm-/-Cain's-Offering-/-Cannibal-Corpse-/-Carach-Angren-/-Children-of-Bodom-/-Chthonic-/-Crimson-Shadows-/-Derdian-/-Dragonforce-/-Edguy-/-Eluveitie-/-Elvenking-/-Ensiferum-/-Epica-/-Evil-Scarecrow-/-Eximperituserqethhzebibšiptugakkathšulweliarzaxułum-/-Evocation-/-Ex-Deo-/-Fairyland-/-Falconer-/-Finntroll-/-Fleshgod-Apocalypse-/-Galaktikon-/-Galneryus-/-Ghost-/-Gloryhammer-/-Goatwhore-/-Hammerfall-/-Heathen-/-Hoth-/-Insomnium-/-Korpiklaani-/-Lagerstein-/-Nanowar-of-Steel-/-Nekrogoblikon-/-Nightwish-/-Pathfinder-/-Powerwolf-/-Primal-Fear-/-Rhapsody-/-Richard-Cheese-/-Sabaton-/-Seven-Kingdoms-/-Skalmold-/-Skyfire-/-Solar-Fragment-/-Sonata-Arctica-/-Steel-Panther-/-Swashbuckle-/-Symphony-X-/-Tengger-Cavalry-/-The-Dread-Crew-of-Oddwood-/-Triosphere-/-Turisas-/-Twilight-Force-/-Tyr-/-Unleash-the-Archers-/-Valhalore-/-Van-Canto-/-Wintersun-/-Wolfheart
70k2015 Survivor - 2328
70k2016 Survivor - 7511
70k2017 Survivor - 6523
User

Zed3

Rank

Oiler

Thu Sep 15, 2016 4:39 am

Moldova

by Zed3 » Sat Jan 28, 2017 1:25 pm

First timer here so no past experience but from what I remember reading it's better to leave them in checked luggage, they should pass x-ray screenings without showing up as obviously as a bottle would...
2017: Survivor - 2018: Skipping to stand by my wife in the birthing room on Feb 3rd !

Wishlist 2018:
Abbath-/-Aeternam-/-Aeverium-/-Alestorm-/-Amon.Amarth-/-Be'lakor-/-Blaakyum-/-Blind.Guardian-/-Biohazard-/-Body.Count-/-Brujeria-/-Bucovina-/-Cellador-/-Dark.Tranquility-/-E-An-Na-/-Ensiferum-/-Epica-/-Ex.Deo-/-Fleshgod.Apocalypse-/-Ghost-/-Gojira-/-Grand.Magus-/-Harmasar-/-Immolation-/-Kreator-/-Lacuna.Coil-/-Machine.Head-/-Moonspell-/-Myrath-/-Ne.Obliviscaris-/-Nightwish-/-Paradise.Lost-/-Powerwolf-/-Sabaton-/-Seven.Kingdoms-/-Sick.of.it.all-/-Sinister-/-Skalmold-/-Skinny.Puppy-/-Sonata.Arctica-/-Svart.Crown-/-Tarja-/-The.Arrs-/-The.Crown-/-Undrask-/-Unleash.The.Archers-/-Vanden.Plas-/-Vektor-/-Wintersun-/-Witherscape
User

Tiki108

Rank

Oiler

Tue Oct 07, 2014 4:33 am

Tampa, FL

by Tiki108 » Sat Jan 28, 2017 3:05 pm

I know you can get clear plastic flasks that you can strap to your body. I'm not a big drinker, but I know people that have carried on water bottles (my one friend did this with me last month and just put it in her purse without issue) or gatorade bottles (with food dye if needed).
70K: 2014
MDF: 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017
Summer Breeze: 2014, 2015
Party.San: 2015
ProgPower: 2014, 2015, 2016
User

Monmisreal

Rank

Lieutenant

Tue May 11, 2010 3:09 pm

Palm Harbor, FL

by Monmisreal » Sat Jan 28, 2017 4:44 pm

Might just be a combination of luck and the container. The one year I brought stuff I bought those plastic flasks that don't show up on xrays. Carried it right on. I know Peter and Paul just filled 2 liter bottles of soda with whiskey and they went through too.
no avatar
User

deathmetalpat

Rank

Midshipman

Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:38 pm

Maryland,USA

by deathmetalpat » Sat Jan 28, 2017 8:13 pm

I think those rumrunners are better in checked bags,not sure what they look like on an x-ray but using the smaller versions (8 ounce) a couple of places seems better than one big one.
My wishlist 2018 -All the bands in 70k rotation that I don't care about.
2012-14 Survivor
2015-16 Abandoned Ship
2017 Returned
2018 Got a bad feeling about this Abandon Ship
User

Kingslayer

Rank

Chief Petty Officer

Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:48 pm

Hellgary, Canada

by Kingslayer » Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:31 pm

ExtraneouS wrote:I remember seeing an idea on here before, but I'm not sure if it will work. Essentially you put the rum runners in your carry on, fairly deep down, then you place a bottle or two of water on top. This way, when you bag sets of a liquid alarm, for lack of a better term, security will open the bag and see the water. You then go "whoopsie daisy, I forgot about the water", and the security guard will roll his/her eyes, possible confiscate the water, and send you on your way.

Last year I smuggled some rum in a flask that looked like a sunscreen bottle in my carry-on. There was no kind of liquid alarm. This year however I'm bringing one of those big clear bastards. I hear mixed testimony as to whether check-in or carry-on is better in this regard"
2016: 9231
2017: 6521
2018: TBD

Wishlist: Amon Amarth, Candlemass, Devin Townsend Project, Doomsword, Ex Deo, Gloryhammer, Grand Magus, Hypocrisy, King Diamond, Nile, Powerwolf, Running Wild, Septicflesh, Steel Panther, Unleash The Archers
User

Hoppy McGee

Rank

Chief Petty Officer

Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:53 am

Ontario, Canada

by Hoppy McGee » Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:17 am

Last year we successfully smuggled a 60 pounder of Rum and Whiskey onbroad. The rum runner flasks were spread out across two suitcases of checked luggage and everything made it through.

This year I'm going solo so I'll only have one suitcase. Gonna downsize a bit I think and just bring the smaller sized flasks (filled with Jager and Kraken). :whisky:
70k 2016 Cabin 9399
70k 2017 Cabin 2364
70k 2018 Cabin 9678
-/-Abbath-/-Ablaze.My.Sorrow-/-Aborted-/-Abysmal.Dawn-/-Alestorm-/-Amon.Amarth-/-Anciients-/-Asphyx-/-Autopsy-/-Avatar-/-Battlelore-/-Behemoth-/-Be'lakor-/-Benediction-/-Black.Crown.Initiate-/-Black.Fast-/-Bloodbath-/-Bölzer-/-Borknagar-/-Cancer-/-Convulse-/-Cormorant-/-Cut.Up-/-Dark.Fortress-/-Dark.Funeral-/-Dark.Tranquillity-/-Dawn.of.Disease-/-Daylight.Dies-/-Dead.Congregation-/-Decapitated-/Deicide-/Demonical-/-Desaster-/-Deströyer.666-/-Desultory-/-Dimmu.Borgir-/-Dismember-/-Drakwald-/-Elder-/-Emperor-/-Ensiferum-/-Enslaved-/-Entombed-/-Entrails-/-Eternal.Tears.of.Sorrow-/-Exhumed-/-Finntroll-/-Firespawn-/-Ghoul-/-Goatwhore-/-Gojira-/-Gorguts-/-Gutter.Instinct-/-HateSphere-/-High.on.Fire-/-Horrendous-/-Huntress-/-Hypocrisy-/-Ihsahn-/-Immolation-/-In.Flames-/-In.Mourning-/-Insomnium-/-Jungle.Rot-/-Keep.of.Kalessin-/-Khemmis-/-Killer.Be.Killed-/-King.of.Asgard-/-Kreator-/-Kvelertak-/-Legion.of.the.Damned-/-LIK-/-Machine.Head-/-Magic.Circle-/-Master-/-Mastodon-/-Memoriam-/-Mgla-/-Midnight-/-Misery.Index-/-Morbid-Angel-/-Morta.Skuld-/-Naglfar-/-Ne.Obliviscaris-/-Necrophobic-/-Obituary-/-Obesquiae-/-Once.Human-/-Onslaught-/-Paradise.Lost-/-Primordial-/-Protector-/-Red.Fang-/-Ripper-/-Rotting.Christ-/-Ruinous-/-Samael-/-Satan-/-Satyricon-/-Sinister-/-Skálmöld-/-Skeletonwitch-/Slayer-/-Soen-/Sulphur-/-Sulphur.Aeon-/-Swallow.the.Sun-/-Taake-/-Tankard-/-Temple.of.Baal-/-This.Ending-/-Thulcandra-/-Trap.Them-/-Tribulation-/-Vader-/-Vampire-/-Venom.Inc.-/-Watain-/-White.Empress-/-Wintersun-/-Witchery-/-Wolfheart-