Post Reply 2628 posts
The Official 70000TONS OF METAL 2018 Megathread
  • Bolt_Thrower
    Petty Officer

Re: 200 Days Until Sailing!

by Bolt_Thrower » Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:31 am

Bob wrote:
    Death tattoo guy wrote:
    Unless you miss an exclusive set from a band.

How often does a band play a different set their 2nd set? The ones I've made it to twice were all the exact same set that I could tell. I'm sure it happens, just not very often.

In 2011 Testament played The Legacy entirely for set 1 and The New Order entirely for set 2. One of my greatest memories was seeing them butcher the songs they hadn't played for awhile. Maybe even never played live.
    Tono_Fyr
    Crewman

by Tono_Fyr » Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:52 am

Gratch wrote:
    Bob wrote:How often does a band play a different set their 2nd set? The ones I've made it to twice were all the exact same set that I could tell. I'm sure it happens, just not very often.

Quite a bit, actually. Most vary it up a little bit, some do entirely different sets.

Just one example, Amorphis' pool deck set last year was a "greatest hits", and their Theater set was the Eclipse album in it's entirety. I know Draconian played entirely different sets as well. The first was a mix of old and new, and the second was all old-school stuff.

Alestorm and Blind Guardian both played almost totally different sets in 2015. I mean, if you've got the amount of music to do it, why wouldn't you?
    Wishlist:
    --Æther_Realm--Alarum--Amon_Amarth--Arcturus--Arjen_Luccassen--Atheist--Battlecross--Blind_Guardian--Borknagar--Candlemass--Cynic--Devin_Townsend--DOLL$BOXX--Dread_Crew_of_Oddwood--Dysrhythmia--Ensiferum--Freak_Kitchen--Gamma_Ray--Glittertind--Goatwhore--Gojira--Gordian_Knot--Green_Carnation--Holy_Grail--Ihsahn--Katatonia--Leprous--Machinae_Supremacy--Ne_Obliviscaris--Nightingale--Nile--Opeth--Pain_Of_Salvation--Raintime--Riverside--Sigh--Skeletonwitch--Steel_Panther--Symphony_X--Tengger_Cavalry--Thank_You_Scientist--Three--Turisas--Tyr--Unleash_The_Archers--Winds--Wintersun--Words_of_Farewell--Zimmer's_Hole--

2015: Survivor
    2016: Survivor
    2017: Survivor
    2018: Survivor
    2019: Survivor
    2020: Survivor
    2023: Survivor
    metalmaciejmetal
    Chief Petty Officer

by metalmaciejmetal » Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:53 am

[quote="Bob"]
    How often does a band play a different set their 2nd set? The ones I've made it to twice were all the exact same set that I could tell. I'm sure it happens, just not very often.

quote]

It seems that the bands with smaller catalogues or less established bands will obviously repeat the same set. In 2016 Iced Earth did quite different sets in order to cover much more material from their 11 albums (at the time) I think there were only 2 or 3 songs that were repeated. Same thing with Gamma Ray, some repeats but a lot of variety.

So I suppose its a matter of who the band is.
    Survivor 2016 and 2017
    acidbasement
    Chief Petty Officer

by acidbasement » Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:18 am

It's weird that the German mittelalter bands like Subway to Sally, In Extremo, and Saltatio Mortis have tended to repeat the same sets. They have huge repertoire, and are pretty popular among the Germans who make up a large proportion of the boat.
    I'm only here to do two things: play the bagpipes and gargle sulphuric acid. Looks like we're almost out of acid.
  • big perken
    Crewman

by big perken » Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:50 am

metalmaciejmetal wrote:
    Bob wrote:How often does a band play a different set their 2nd set? The ones I've made it to twice were all the exact same set that I could tell. I'm sure it happens, just not very often.

quote]

It seems that the bands with smaller catalogues or less established bands will obviously repeat the same set. In 2016 Iced Earth did quite different sets in order to cover much more material from their 11 albums (at the time) I think there were only 2 or 3 songs that were repeated. Same thing with Gamma Ray, some repeats but a lot of variety.

So I suppose its a matter of who the band is.

You just never know. Last year overkill did almost the exact same set and they have tons to choose from.
  • Phoenix
    Lieutenant

by Phoenix » Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:03 pm

acidbasement wrote:It's weird that the German mittelalter bands like Subway to Sally, In Extremo, and Saltatio Mortis have tended to repeat the same sets. They have huge repertoire, and are pretty popular among the Germans who make up a large proportion of the boat.

I've noticed this too, but WHY. Over in the rank bank thread I've already made it clear that I'd only wanna catch one set from In Extremo because in 2015 they were the EXACT same.

Survivor:
    Out for 2023
  • macamatic
    Petty Officer

by macamatic » Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:15 pm

Phoenix wrote:It depends on the band (recent lineup changes and depth of material) and how often they tour, I think. Saltatio Mortis and Kamelot played identical sets. Mors Principium Est and Scar Symmetry played mostly similar sets but varied a few songs. Amorphis played two drastically different sets.

The rumour (read as "hope") this year is that Insomnium is playing one regular set and one set of Winter's Gate in its entirety. Which would make me sad to miss.

Kamelot varied a couple songs - specifically, they played When the Lights Are Down for the theater set but Ghost Opera and Karma for the pool deck set. I think they shortened their little ending bit (during Forever) to make room for the extra song.

I'd be stunned if one of Insomnium's sets wasn't Winter's Gate. Makes way too much sense and it fits perfectly with their headline shows, which feature Winter's Gate plus about 45min of hits (which is all they'll play on the Epica tour). I'm making the trip up to Panama City in September to be absolutely sure though - that was my favorite album last year and I'm a sucker for full-album shows. If I happen to see it twice... well, I'll manage.
    2017: 6523 | 2018: 2546

Want: Ancient Bards, Dark Tranquillity, Deadlock, Disarmonia Mundi, In Mourning, Insomnium, Symphony X, The Unguided, Wintersun, Within Temptation
    Pellaz
    Lieutenant

by Pellaz » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:27 pm

ExtraneouS wrote:
    TPH wrote:A bigger ship is probably not even needed, as the cruise is advertised as sold-out every year, but they were able to miraculously find an empty cabin for me and roommate 1 during the cruise, when we discovered that roommate 2 was in fact a pig (with all the snoring and smelling) dressed like a man.

That is because the sold out status is dependant on the number of people onbroad, not the number of rooms sold. They do this so there are enough lifeboats for everyone in the case of emergency. We tend to book more people to a cabin than the average cruise, so there are going to be empty cabins that cannot be sold, but can be transferred into if needed.

Correct. Each muster station (i.e., each lifeboat) has a maximum capacity, and once that number is reached, no other cabins can be sold -- and no-one can be added to a stateroom -- within that muster station. Each station includes one side of the ship (port or starboard) and a vertical "slice" of all the decks on that side.

Phoenix wrote:I believe last year it was revealed that several rooms are kept empty to store booze and equipment.

Yup, comparing the deck plan from 70k and Royal Caribbean, there's about 2 dozen or so rooms on deck 2 that aren't sold, and I assume that's what they're for.

Those may also be for 70K crew -- and they include the Family Interior rooms that accommodate 6 or 8 people that cannot be booked via 70K's site. There were several crew billeted along our Deck 2 hallway, which was cool since my friend John ended up right down the corridor from us.
    2025 Wishlist:
    1349--Abbath--Abigail.Williams--Aephanemer--Agalloch--Agathodaimon--Alien.Weaponry--Allegaeon--Amon.Amarth--Amorphis--Animals.As.Leaders--Arkona--Arsis--Atrocity--Ayreon--Bal.Sagoth--Baroness--Barren.Earth--Battlelore--Behemoth--Below.7--Belzebubs--Be'lakor--Black.Crown.Initiate--Bloodbath--Borknagar--Broken.Trinity--Cannibal.Corpse--Chthe'ilist--CoF--Countless.Skies--Cynic--Demons.&.Wizards--Dimmu.Borgir--Dark.Tranquillity--Dragonforce--Edge.of.Sanity--Witherscape--anything.Dan.Swano--Eluveitie--Eneferens--Ensiferum--Enslaved--Eternal.Tears.of.Sorrow--Evergrey--Exmortus--Ex.Deo--Fear.Factory--Fires.In.the.Distance--Gojira--Graveworm--Green.Carnation--Hypocrisy--Immortal--Insomnium--Irreversible.Mechanism--Kalmah--Kamelot--Keep.Of.Kalessin--Korpiklaani--Kreator--Leprous--Luciferan.Light.Orchestra--Loss--Melechesh--Meshuggah--Mezarkabul--Moonspell--Mors.Principium.Est--Myrath--Ne.Obliviscaris--Nile--Nokturnal.Mortem--NorthTale--Novembers.Doom--Obscura--Old.Mans.Child--Opeth--Paladin--Poisonblack--Powerwolf--Primordial--Rapheumet's.Well--Raven--Rivers.Of.Nihil--Ryujin--Sabaton--Sadistic.Ritual--Samael--Satyricon--Savatage--Scale.the.Summit--Scorched.Moon--Septic.Flesh--Serious.Black--Seven.Spires--Sigh--Skalmold--Slough.Feg--Starkill--Steorrah--SYL--Suidakra--Summoning--Tarot--Therion--Thy.Serpent--Tomarum--Tomb.Mold--Turisas--Twilight.Force--Tyr--Vale.Of.Pnath--Valhalore--Vesania--Vintersorg--Wolfchant--Yyrkoon
    2015-2020; 2023-2024: Survivor
    2025: most likely
    Pellaz
    Lieutenant

by Pellaz » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:36 pm

Phoenix wrote:

It depends on the band (recent lineup changes and depth of material) and how often they tour, I think. Saltatio Mortis and Kamelot played identical sets. Mors Principium Est and Scar Symmetry played mostly similar sets but varied a few songs. Amorphis played two drastically different sets.

Another example: Therion will normally play two different sets, with some "core" songs in both sets and then two or three that vary between sets. Last February they played the same set twice, but only because of Christofer's medical issues...and they hated that they couldn't play different sets for us.

The rumour (read as "hope") this year is that Insomnium is playing one regular set and one set of Winter's Gate in its entirety. Which would make me sad to miss.

Ooooh, THAT would make me happy to see. Just, y'know, not at 4:15 am again, okthxbye. :lol:
    2025 Wishlist:
    1349--Abbath--Abigail.Williams--Aephanemer--Agalloch--Agathodaimon--Alien.Weaponry--Allegaeon--Amon.Amarth--Amorphis--Animals.As.Leaders--Arkona--Arsis--Atrocity--Ayreon--Bal.Sagoth--Baroness--Barren.Earth--Battlelore--Behemoth--Below.7--Belzebubs--Be'lakor--Black.Crown.Initiate--Bloodbath--Borknagar--Broken.Trinity--Cannibal.Corpse--Chthe'ilist--CoF--Countless.Skies--Cynic--Demons.&.Wizards--Dimmu.Borgir--Dark.Tranquillity--Dragonforce--Edge.of.Sanity--Witherscape--anything.Dan.Swano--Eluveitie--Eneferens--Ensiferum--Enslaved--Eternal.Tears.of.Sorrow--Evergrey--Exmortus--Ex.Deo--Fear.Factory--Fires.In.the.Distance--Gojira--Graveworm--Green.Carnation--Hypocrisy--Immortal--Insomnium--Irreversible.Mechanism--Kalmah--Kamelot--Keep.Of.Kalessin--Korpiklaani--Kreator--Leprous--Luciferan.Light.Orchestra--Loss--Melechesh--Meshuggah--Mezarkabul--Moonspell--Mors.Principium.Est--Myrath--Ne.Obliviscaris--Nile--Nokturnal.Mortem--NorthTale--Novembers.Doom--Obscura--Old.Mans.Child--Opeth--Paladin--Poisonblack--Powerwolf--Primordial--Rapheumet's.Well--Raven--Rivers.Of.Nihil--Ryujin--Sabaton--Sadistic.Ritual--Samael--Satyricon--Savatage--Scale.the.Summit--Scorched.Moon--Septic.Flesh--Serious.Black--Seven.Spires--Sigh--Skalmold--Slough.Feg--Starkill--Steorrah--SYL--Suidakra--Summoning--Tarot--Therion--Thy.Serpent--Tomarum--Tomb.Mold--Turisas--Twilight.Force--Tyr--Vale.Of.Pnath--Valhalore--Vesania--Vintersorg--Wolfchant--Yyrkoon
    bodomdragon
    Sub-Lieutenant

by bodomdragon » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:41 am

I'll never, ever, understand people requesting LESS bands, as if you guys were FORCED to attend the shows. Learn how to make the most of your time and enjoy it, guys.
    Wishlist:
    Ad.Infinitum--Aephanemer--Alestorm--Anthriel--AVANTASIA--Axxis--
    Battle.Beast--Beast.in.Black--Belzebubs--Be'lakor--BEYOND.THE.BLACK--Borealis--BORKNAGAR--Brymir--Caligula's.Horse--CHAOSBAY--Countless.Skies--Crowne--Dimmu.Borgir--DGM--Distorted.Harmony--DragonForce--Dream.Theater--Eclipse.(Sweden)--ELECTRIC.CALLBOY--Ensiferum--Evergrey--FEUERSCHWANZ--Fractal.Gates--Freedom.Call--GAMMA.RAY--Haken--Hei'an--Helloween--In.Mourning--INSOMNIUM--Kamelot--Keep.Of.Kalessin--KISSIN'.DYNAMITE--MERCENARY--Moonsorrow--Ne.Obliviscaris--Orden.Ogan--Pretty.Maids--Powerglove--PYRAMAZE--SABATON--SEVENTH.WONDER--Shade.Empire--Skeletoon--SOEN--Subterranean.Masquerade--SYMPHONY.X--Tremonti--Trollfest--Unleash.The.Archers--VISIONS.OF.ATLANTIS--VOLA--Volbeat--VOYAGER--WIDEK--Wilderun--Wintersun

2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2023, 2024: Survivor

Unofficial 70K User Guide: https://70kguide.wordpress.com
  • Downvod
    Midshipman

by Downvod » Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:18 am

bodomdragon wrote:I'll never, ever, understand people requesting LESS bands, as if you guys were FORCED to attend the shows. Learn how to make the most of your time and enjoy it, guys.

Not saying I agree there should be less, but I do understand the mindset. The only way they can have 60 bands is by running many of them at 4 or 5 AM. Some people book for certain bands and then find out 2 days before the cruise that their favorite band is playing at 3 or 4 AM both sets (Insomnium as an example). Their other favorite band is playing at 10:30 AM the next day, or their excursion they already paid for is at 11 AM.

I think people feel it would be a lot easier to see all of the bands they paid for without killing them selves for 4 days on no sleep if there were less bands.
    70k 2016: Cabin 7279
    70k 2017: Cabin 6361
    70k 2018: Cabin 1704
    70k 2019: Cabin 1402
    70k 2020: Cabin 9220
    70k 2023: Cabin 1704
    70k 2024: Cabin 1688

Abbath-/-AEPHANEMER-/-Aetherian-/-Alestorm-/-Allegaeon-/-Amon.Amarth-/-Amorphis-/-Andy.Gillion-/-Animals.as.Leaders-/-Annihilator-/-Arkona-/-Armageddon-/-Arsis-/-Ashes.of.Ares-/-Battlecross-/-Behemoth-/-BE'LAKOR-/-Belzebubs-/-Beyond.Creation-/-Black.Crown.Initiate-/-BLIND.GUARDIAN-/-Bloodbath-/-Bloodred.Hourglass-/-BORKNAGAR-/-Brymir-/-Carcass-/-Children.of.Bodom-/-Conjurer-/-The.Crown-/-Cthonic-/-Dalriada-/-Dark.Funeral-/-Dark.Tranquillity-/-Death.Angel-/-Death.to.All-/-Decapitated-/-Demonic.Resurrection-/-Demons.&.Wizards-/-Destruction-/-DGM-/-Dimmu.Borgir-/-Dragonlord-/-Enslaved-/-Equilibrium-/-ETERNAL.TEARS.OF.SORROW-/-Evocation-/-Finsterforst-/-Fleshgod.Apocalypse-/-Galactic.Empire-/-Ghoul-/-Gojira-/-Harakiri.for.the.Sky-/-Heidevolk-/-Hypocrisy-/-Iced.Earth-/-Immortal-/-Inferi-/-IN.MOURNING-/-Insomnium-/-In.Vain-/-Irreversible.Mechanism-/-Keep.of.Kalessin-/-Kreator-/-Kvelertak-/-Lovebites-/-Manegarm-/-Mastodon-/-Melechesh-/-Midnight-/-MGLA-/-Myrkur-/-Naglfar-/-Necrophagist-/-Necrophobic-/-Ne.Obliviscaris-/-Night.Demon-/-Nile-/-Obscura-/-Old.Man's.Child-/-Onslaught-/-Opeth-/-Orden.Ogan-/-Powerglove-/-Power.Trip-/-Psycroptic-/-Rage-/-Refuge-/-Revocation-/-Rivers.of.Nihil-/-Septicflesh-/-Solution.45-/-Swallow.the.Sun-/-SYMPHONY.X-/-TAAKE-/-Tankard-/-Testament-/-TRIBULATION-/-Uada-/-Unleash.the.Archers-/-Vader-/-Vallenfyre-/-Vektor-/-Warbringer-/-Watain-/-Winterfylleth-/-Winterhymn-/-WITCHERY-/-Witherscape-/-Wolfheart-/-Wolves.in.the.Throne.Room
    Dutchguy-Tim
    Sub-Lieutenant

by Dutchguy-Tim » Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:06 am

just saw the overview of the cabins available. sales are going well i see.
    very curious how many familiar faces i will see :-)
    are we there yet?
    Hornblowing survivor of 70.000 tons of metal January 2011 / 2012 / 2015 / 2018

what the hell did you do this winter?
  • Death tattoo guy
    Oiler

by Death tattoo guy » Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:46 am

bodomdragon wrote:I'll never, ever, understand people requesting LESS bands, as if you guys were FORCED to attend the shows. Learn how to make the most of your time and enjoy it, guys.

I've been on since Barge and don't need to 'learn' how to enjoy my time. I'm content in that regard. The only thing I wish wasn't so prevalent is the overlaps,hence the "less bands" suggestion.
    I'm booked and ready to go and will be as long as this thing is afloat.
    10 Wishlist bands I've never seen live:
    Decadence
    The Halo Effect
    Aephanemer
    Nagasaki Sunrise
    Inhuman Condition
    Burning Witches
    Crystal Viper
    Frozen Crown
    Jenner
    Sorcerer

Survivor: Barge To Hell,2013,2014,2015,2016,2017,2018,2019, 2020, 2023
  • Death tattoo guy
    Oiler

by Death tattoo guy » Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:51 am

Bob wrote:
    Death tattoo guy wrote:

Also not in favor of reducing the band count below the current 60. Even tho I'm not gung ho about staying up until 0430 AM to hear a set from a band I really want to see, I do it (or try to at least).

1.) Exodus doing their 'Tuxodus' set on Barge To Hell
    2.) Sodom's sets on Barge were mostly different
    3.) Artillery playing 'Fear of Tomorrow' in 2015
    4.) Blind Guardian in 2015
    5.) Insomnium in 2016
    6.) Epica 2016
    7.) Venom in 2015 played their new album
    8.) Unleashed in 2017 almost completely different sets

these were just off the top of my head
    10 Wishlist bands I've never seen live:
    Decadence
    The Halo Effect
    Aephanemer
    Nagasaki Sunrise
    Inhuman Condition
    Burning Witches
    Crystal Viper
    Frozen Crown
    Jenner
    Sorcerer

Survivor: Barge To Hell,2013,2014,2015,2016,2017,2018,2019, 2020, 2023
    TPH
    Chief Petty Officer

by TPH » Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:56 am

You can add Grave this year, they played stuff from their first two albums only on their second show in the Pyramid. It was amazing :headbanger:
    Wacken 2003
    Fury Fest 2004-2005, Hellfest 2006 to 2023
    70K 2017 - cabin 2250
    70K 2018 - cabin 8215
    70K 2019 - cabin 10xxx (can't fucking remember)
    bodomdragon
    Sub-Lieutenant

by bodomdragon » Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:41 am

Death tattoo guy wrote:
    Bob wrote:
    Death tattoo guy wrote:

Also not in favor of reducing the band count below the current 60. Even tho I'm not gung ho about staying up until 0430 AM to hear a set from a band I really want to see, I do it (or try to at least).

1.) Exodus doing their 'Tuxodus' set on Barge To Hell
    2.) Sodom's sets on Barge were mostly different
    3.) Artillery playing 'Fear of Tomorrow' in 2015
    4.) Blind Guardian in 2015
    5.) Insomnium in 2016
    6.) Epica 2016
    7.) Venom in 2015 played their new album
    8.) Unleashed in 2017 almost completely different sets

these were just off the top of my head

There are many, many cases. In smaller bands it is more common to repeat setlists. Sometimes it is a little bit disappointing that they do it when they have a lot to choose from, even if the show is amazing (Kamelot). Sometimes bands play an album in its entirety in one of the two sets (Moonspell, Pretty Maids, Vicious Rumors, Amorphis or Fear Factory are some examples I can remember from my four years onbroad, but there are more). And sometimes they do two COMPLETELY different sets just because they can and they deliver unforgettable shows (fuck yeah, Symphony X, that second set on 2014 is one of the best things that I have ever witnessed on a stage).
    Wishlist:
    Ad.Infinitum--Aephanemer--Alestorm--Anthriel--AVANTASIA--Axxis--
    Battle.Beast--Beast.in.Black--Belzebubs--Be'lakor--BEYOND.THE.BLACK--Borealis--BORKNAGAR--Brymir--Caligula's.Horse--CHAOSBAY--Countless.Skies--Crowne--Dimmu.Borgir--DGM--Distorted.Harmony--DragonForce--Dream.Theater--Eclipse.(Sweden)--ELECTRIC.CALLBOY--Ensiferum--Evergrey--FEUERSCHWANZ--Fractal.Gates--Freedom.Call--GAMMA.RAY--Haken--Hei'an--Helloween--In.Mourning--INSOMNIUM--Kamelot--Keep.Of.Kalessin--KISSIN'.DYNAMITE--MERCENARY--Moonsorrow--Ne.Obliviscaris--Orden.Ogan--Pretty.Maids--Powerglove--PYRAMAZE--SABATON--SEVENTH.WONDER--Shade.Empire--Skeletoon--SOEN--Subterranean.Masquerade--SYMPHONY.X--Tremonti--Trollfest--Unleash.The.Archers--VISIONS.OF.ATLANTIS--VOLA--Volbeat--VOYAGER--WIDEK--Wilderun--Wintersun

2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2023, 2024: Survivor

Unofficial 70K User Guide: https://70kguide.wordpress.com
  • Phoenix
    Lieutenant

by Phoenix » Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:17 am

Downvod wrote:

Not saying I agree there should be less, but I do understand the mindset. The only way they can have 60 bands is by running many of them at 4 or 5 AM. Some people book for certain bands and then find out 2 days before the cruise that their favorite band is playing at 3 or 4 AM both sets (Insomnium as an example). Their other favorite band is playing at 10:30 AM the next day, or their excursion they already paid for is at 11 AM.

I think people feel it would be a lot easier to see all of the bands they paid for without killing them selves for 4 days on no sleep if there were less bands.

This. I had SO much overlap this year and energy is a finite resource. I missed a lot of sets that were at Fuck O Clock in the morning. If it means bands don't have to run as late/early, I would do with a couple less.

Survivor:
    Out for 2023
    acidbasement
    Chief Petty Officer

by acidbasement » Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:28 am

I wouldn't mind fewer bands. Not because I want to sleep, but because I want longer sets. I want the no-name bands to get 60 minutes, the medium bands 90 minutes, and the headliners 120 minutes.
    I'm only here to do two things: play the bagpipes and gargle sulphuric acid. Looks like we're almost out of acid.
    Dutchguy-Tim
    Sub-Lieutenant

by Dutchguy-Tim » Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:52 am

The other downside of such a large ship is lesser odds running into each other
    I really wanted to say goodbye to a lot of People i couldn't find anymore
    Hornblowing survivor of 70.000 tons of metal January 2011 / 2012 / 2015 / 2018

what the hell did you do this winter?
    Jimbo2392
    Petty Officer

by Jimbo2392 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:08 pm

Booked! First payment made! Ready to do this for the 3rd year now! :beerhorns:
    '15 7598
    '16 7455
    '17 Skip
    '18 3612
    Gratch
    Chief Petty Officer

by Gratch » Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:25 pm

Booked and paid.

See you crazy fuckers in February. :death:
    Survivor 2016/17/18/19/20

Ultimate Wishlist Bands
    Anaal Nathrakh - Behemoth - Igorrr - Khemmis - Myrkur - The Ocean - Pallbearer - Sigh - Tribulation - Sentient Horror - Turisas - Wilderun - Witherscape - Zeal & Ardor
    TPH
    Chief Petty Officer

by TPH » Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:04 am

From what I read around here the answer seems to be "no", but: is it normal to have just a third of the line-up this late into July? Maybe they don't feel the need to announce more bands, since the sales are going damn fine at the moment?
    Wacken 2003
    Fury Fest 2004-2005, Hellfest 2006 to 2023
    70K 2017 - cabin 2250
    70K 2018 - cabin 8215
    70K 2019 - cabin 10xxx (can't fucking remember)
  • Downvod
    Midshipman

by Downvod » Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:32 am

TPH wrote:From what I read around here the answer seems to be "no", but: is it normal to have just a third of the line-up this late into July? Maybe they don't feel the need to announce more bands, since the sales are going damn fine at the moment?

There really isn't much of a logical pattern to it. Last year there was a steady flow from early July to mid-August that resulted in 39/60 bands. It should be noted that, at least at the time, sales were also better than ever before. Still, the bands kept coming. The previous year, they came in blocks of 10 with breaks in between. It stayed at only 30 bands all the way until 10 more were announced in October. The last 20 were a flurry right before the cruise.
    70k 2016: Cabin 7279
    70k 2017: Cabin 6361
    70k 2018: Cabin 1704
    70k 2019: Cabin 1402
    70k 2020: Cabin 9220
    70k 2023: Cabin 1704
    70k 2024: Cabin 1688

Abbath-/-AEPHANEMER-/-Aetherian-/-Alestorm-/-Allegaeon-/-Amon.Amarth-/-Amorphis-/-Andy.Gillion-/-Animals.as.Leaders-/-Annihilator-/-Arkona-/-Armageddon-/-Arsis-/-Ashes.of.Ares-/-Battlecross-/-Behemoth-/-BE'LAKOR-/-Belzebubs-/-Beyond.Creation-/-Black.Crown.Initiate-/-BLIND.GUARDIAN-/-Bloodbath-/-Bloodred.Hourglass-/-BORKNAGAR-/-Brymir-/-Carcass-/-Children.of.Bodom-/-Conjurer-/-The.Crown-/-Cthonic-/-Dalriada-/-Dark.Funeral-/-Dark.Tranquillity-/-Death.Angel-/-Death.to.All-/-Decapitated-/-Demonic.Resurrection-/-Demons.&.Wizards-/-Destruction-/-DGM-/-Dimmu.Borgir-/-Dragonlord-/-Enslaved-/-Equilibrium-/-ETERNAL.TEARS.OF.SORROW-/-Evocation-/-Finsterforst-/-Fleshgod.Apocalypse-/-Galactic.Empire-/-Ghoul-/-Gojira-/-Harakiri.for.the.Sky-/-Heidevolk-/-Hypocrisy-/-Iced.Earth-/-Immortal-/-Inferi-/-IN.MOURNING-/-Insomnium-/-In.Vain-/-Irreversible.Mechanism-/-Keep.of.Kalessin-/-Kreator-/-Kvelertak-/-Lovebites-/-Manegarm-/-Mastodon-/-Melechesh-/-Midnight-/-MGLA-/-Myrkur-/-Naglfar-/-Necrophagist-/-Necrophobic-/-Ne.Obliviscaris-/-Night.Demon-/-Nile-/-Obscura-/-Old.Man's.Child-/-Onslaught-/-Opeth-/-Orden.Ogan-/-Powerglove-/-Power.Trip-/-Psycroptic-/-Rage-/-Refuge-/-Revocation-/-Rivers.of.Nihil-/-Septicflesh-/-Solution.45-/-Swallow.the.Sun-/-SYMPHONY.X-/-TAAKE-/-Tankard-/-Testament-/-TRIBULATION-/-Uada-/-Unleash.the.Archers-/-Vader-/-Vallenfyre-/-Vektor-/-Warbringer-/-Watain-/-Winterfylleth-/-Winterhymn-/-WITCHERY-/-Witherscape-/-Wolfheart-/-Wolves.in.the.Throne.Room
  • ExtraneouS
    Petty Officer

by ExtraneouS » Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:54 am

In addition, I remember there being a gap last year while UMC was scrambling to send out everyone's booking conformations, so I believe that's what's happening right now. I suspect more to come in a few days.
    General Zod
    Chief Petty Officer

by General Zod » Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:21 am

ExtraneouS wrote:In addition, I remember there being a gap last year while UMC was scrambling to send out everyone's booking conformations, so I believe that's what's happening right now. I suspect more to come in a few days.

Yep. And if the "B" is Behemoth, I would expect that to be announced right before the general sale.
    ***WISH-LIST***Accept-†-Aether-Realm-†-Ajattara-†-Almanac-†-Amon-Amarth-†-Antropomorphia-†-Anubis-Gate-†-Ashes-of-Ares-†-Aska-†-Asphyx-†-Bastard-Sapling-†-Be'lakor-†-Behemoth-†-Below-†-Binary-Creed-†-Blind-Guardian-†-Blood-Red-Throne-†-Brainstorm-†-Brothers-of-Metal-†-Craven-Idol-†-Cult-of-Luna-†-Dark-Tranquillity-†-Darkest-Era-†-Deafheaven-†-Demons-&-Wizards-†-Diviner-†-Ex-Deo-†-Fallujah-†-Gatecreeper-†-God-Dethroned-†-Gorgoroth-†-Grand-Magus-†-Hyperion-†-Iced-Earth-†-Immolation-†-InnerWish-†-Inquisition-†-Iron-Savior-†-Jag-Panzer-†-Junius-†-Manimal-†-Manowar-†-Mantar-†-Mastodon-†-Mechina-†-Mgla-†-My-Dying-Bride-†-Mystic-Prophecy-†-Necrot-†-Nevermore-†-Night-Demon-†-Nokturnal-Mortem-†-Oak-Pantheon-†-Phrenelith-†-Pillorian-†-Powerwolf-†-Primal-Fear†-Primordial-†-Rotting-Christ-†-Samael-†-Shade-Empire-†-Sorcerer-†-Sulphur-Aeon-†-Sumerlands-†-Temple-of-Void-†-Thyrfing-†-Tribulation-†-Triptykon-†-UADA-†-Unleash-the-Archers-†-Visigoth-†-Vredehammer-†-Wiegedood-†-Wildernessking-†-Woe-†-Zhrine
    acidbasement
    Chief Petty Officer

by acidbasement » Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:38 am

General Zod wrote:Yep. And if the "B" is Behemoth, I would expect that to be announced right before the general sale.

Same for Blind Guardian.
  • Phoenix
    Lieutenant

by Phoenix » Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:45 am

And if it was BabyMetal, I'd expect it to come after all return cruisers safely had their booking confirmations to ensure less rage :lol:

Survivor:
    Out for 2023
  • ExtraneouS
    Petty Officer

by ExtraneouS » Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:48 am

Phoenix wrote:And if it was BabyMetal, I'd expect it to come after all return cruisers safely had their booking confirmations to ensure less rage :lol:

Andy, following the Baby Metal announcement, wrote:Image
  • SpaceSlug
    Crewman

by SpaceSlug » Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:21 pm

Hoping for BabyMetal! Would love to see them again. I understand many won't like it but I'm into it.

Gimme Chocolate! \m/

I apologize in advance to those shaking their head at my post.
    bleedingkyo
    Oiler

by bleedingkyo » Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:37 pm

Pellaz wrote:
    Those may also be for 70K crew -- and they include the Family Interior rooms that accommodate 6 or 8 people that cannot be booked via 70K's site. There were several crew billeted along our Deck 2 hallway, which was cool since my friend John ended up right down the corridor from us.

The family interiors on deck 2 can be booked by cruisers, at least one of them, as we had it last year. I was curious so I checked the deckplan for deck 2 on RCs website against the one 70k shows us to see if there were more family interiors but it was only the 2. It is correct that some of the non listed rooms are for equipment. The family 6er and royal family suites just book up immediately with gold because they are bigger rooms which cost the same per person as quads if you cap them out, plus there is very limited number on the boat. Only 4 royal family suites and 2 of the family interiors. We tried (and failed) to get the RFS this year.
    2016- Cabin 6223
    2017- Cabin 2313
    2018- Cabin 9272
    2019- Abandoned ship
    2020- Cabin 8604
    Pellaz
    Lieutenant

by Pellaz » Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:31 am

bleedingkyo wrote:
    Pellaz wrote:

The family interiors on deck 2 can be booked by cruisers, at least one of them, as we had it last year.

We were given a quick tour of the one down the hallway from us by our steward, after it was vacated on debark morning...might have been yours!

And yeah, I realized yesterday that those family interiors could be booked, but forgot to come back and edit my post.

I was curious so I checked the deckplan for deck 2 on RCs website against the one 70k shows us to see if there were more family interiors but it was only the 2. It is correct that some of the non listed rooms are for equipment. The family 6er and royal family suites just book up immediately with gold because they are bigger rooms which cost the same per person as quads if you cap them out, plus there is very limited number on the boat. Only 4 royal family suites and 2 of the family interiors. We tried (and failed) to get the RFS this year.

Yep, that was our original plan for our group of 6-8 people: get one of the RFSs. We had two people drop out of our group, so we set our sights a little lower. Probably just as well since I think all four were gone by the time I got anywhere close to booking a stateroom on Gold Black Friday. :shock:
    2025 Wishlist:
    bleedingkyo
    Oiler

by bleedingkyo » Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:41 am

Pellaz wrote:
    Yep, that was our original plan for our group of 6-8 people: get one of the RFSs. We had two people drop out of our group, so we set our sights a little lower. Probably just as well since I think all four were gone by the time I got anywhere close to booking a stateroom on Gold Black Friday. :shock:

We had 16 people so we wanted to get 2 of the RFS and request them next to eachother, had several gold people working on it but no one was able to snag one. Instead we got 4 junior suites all down the same hallway. Oh well we'll try again next year!.
    2016- Cabin 6223
    2017- Cabin 2313
    2018- Cabin 9272
    2019- Abandoned ship
    2020- Cabin 8604
  • sara
    Petty Officer

by sara » Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:03 pm

SpaceSlug wrote:Hoping for BabyMetal! Would love to see them again. I understand many won't like it but I'm into it.

Gimme Chocolate! \m/

Only because you cited their worst song!
    Warbringer-/-King-Parrot-/-Lich-King-/-Angelus-Apatrida-/-Benighted-/-The-Crown-/-Aeon-/-Witchery-/-Occultist-/-Black-Breath-/-Chthonic-/-Alestorm-/-Devin-Townsend-/-Zimmers-Hole-/-Party-Thrash-/-Grindcore-/-Stoner-Bands-/-Folk-Metal-/-Heavier-Prog
  • ExtraneouS
    Petty Officer

by ExtraneouS » Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:14 pm

sara wrote:
    SpaceSlug wrote:Hoping for BabyMetal! Would love to see them again. I understand many won't like it but I'm into it.

Gimme Chocolate! \m/

I beg to differ. It's certainly not their best song, but it's much better than THIS. The song is literally about sucking up to their daddy to get money, so they can go shopping.
    acidbasement
    Chief Petty Officer

by acidbasement » Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:01 pm

I'm bored. Remember how awesome it was when Andy was announcing bands?
  • Foxhound09
    Wiper

by Foxhound09 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:10 pm

acidbasement wrote:I'm bored. Remember how awesome it was when Andy was announcing bands?
    Pellaz
    Lieutenant

by Pellaz » Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:22 pm

Foxhound09 wrote:Image

:lol: :lol:
    2025 Wishlist:
  • Phoenix
    Lieutenant

by Phoenix » Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:37 am

ExtraneouS wrote:
    sara wrote:

Gimme Chocolate! \m/

I beg to differ. It's certainly not their best song, but it's much better than THIS. The song is literally about sucking up to their daddy to get money, so they can go shopping.

Hadn't heard that one yet but... yeah okay they have a worse song than Gimme Chocolate. There's a couple I'd really like to see live. One of which almost requires we also get Dragonforce.

Survivor:
    Out for 2023
  • Masterbas
    Petty Officer

by Masterbas » Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:04 am

Phoenix wrote:Hadn't heard that one yet but... yeah okay they have a worse song than Gimme Chocolate. There's a couple I'd really like to see live. One of which almost requires we also get Dragonforce.

Dragonforce was in Mtl last night. My throat hurts this morning :p. But I'd take them on the boat for certain.
    2017 - Cabin 9580
    2018 - Cabin 9611
    2019 - Cabin 9675
    2020 - Cabin 8233
    2023 - Cabin 7669
    2024 - Cabin 8659

3.Inches.of.Blood./.Aeternam./.Aether.Realm./.Alestorm./.Alien.Weaponry./.Allegaeon./.Amon.Amarth./.Amorphis./.An.Abstract.Illusion./.Augury./.Avantasia./.Avatar./.Barren.Earth./.Battlecross./.Before.The.Dawn./.Be'lakor./.Beyond.Creation./.Blackguard./.Blind.Guardian./.Cruachan./.Dark.Lunacy./.Dark.Funeral./.Dark.Oath./.Dark.Tranquillity./.Death.Angel./.Devin.Townsend./.Die.Apokalyptischen.Reiter./.Dimmu.Borgir./.Draconian./.Dragonforce./.Drakum./.Dreamtale./.Eluveitie./.Ensiferum./.Epica./.Equilibrium./.Euphoreon./.Evocation./.Exmortus./.Ex.Deo./.Fear.Of.Domination./.Finntroll./.Fracturus./.Ghost.Ship.Octavius./.Gloryhammer./.Gojira./.Grailknights./.Hammerfall./.Hands.of.Despair./.Heathen.Foray./.Heidevolk./.Helloween./.Helsott./.Hollow./.Horizon.Ignited./.Insomnium./.In.Vain./.Kalmah./.Kataklysm./.Kissin.Dynamite./.Korpiklaani./.Kreator./.Lord.Of.The.Lost./.Manegarm./.Marianas.Rest./.Mayan./.Moonsorrow./.Moonspell./.Mors.Principium.Est./.Mors.Subita./.Myrath./.Naglfar./.Ne.Obliviscaris./.Nekrogoblikon./.Night.Demon./.Novembers.Doom./.Omnium.Gatherum./.Orphaned.Land./.Persefone./.Powerglove./.Powerwolf./.Psychework./.Revocation./.Rivers.of.Nihil./.Rotting.Christ./.Sabaton./.Saltatio.Mortis./.Scar.Symmetry./.Serenity./.Shade.Empire./.Shape.the.Above./.Shylmagoghnar./.Sonata.Arctica./.Spacemak3r./.Starkill./.Steel.Panther./.Stratovarius./.Striker./.Svartsot./.Swallow.the.Sun./.Tarot./.Tenacious.D./.Terasbetoni./.The.Agonist./.The.Black.Dahlia.Murder./.The.Halo.Effect./.Therion./.Trollfest./.Turisas./.Tyr./.Unleash.the.Archers./.Van.Canto./.Varg./.Wilderun./.Wintersun./.Wolfheart

Red- Out for being on-board last year
    Green- It's ON
    Cyan- Most Wanted
    Warphine
    Ensign

by Warphine » Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:18 pm

Masterbas wrote:
    Dragonforce was in Mtl last night. My throat hurts this morning :p. But I'd take them on the boat for certain.

I approve of your signature color scheme! ;)
    Survivor of 2012, BTH, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017

Aborted/Abysmal-Dawn/Abyssal/Ade/Adversarial/Aenaon/Aeon/Aeternam/Alkaloid/Antichrist/APMD/Archspire/Autopsy/Barren-Earth/Benighted/Beyond-Creation/Black-Breath/Blues-Pills/Bodyfarm/Bölzer/Byzantine/Carnal-Forge/Church-of-Misery/Condition-Critical/Condor/Craven-Idol/The-Crown/Cut-Up/Dark-Fortress/Darkest-Hour/Dark-Tranquillity/Dead-Congregation/Death-Breath/Deathhammer/Defeated-Sanity/Degial/Denner-Shermann/Deströyer-666/Deviant-Process/Diabolic-Night/Dew-Scented/Divinity/Division-Speed/Dyscarnate/Ensnared/Evil-Invaders/Execration/Firespawn/Foreseen/Funeral-Whore/Goatwhore/Gorod/Graveyard(Sweden-or-Spain)/Gruesome/Hail-of-Bullets/Haken/Harlott/Harm(Norway)/Hellbringer/Hooded-Menace/Hypocrisy/Igorrr/In-Twilight's-Embrace/Inanimate-Existence/Inculter/Inferi/Infestus/Insomnium/Jess-And-The-Ancient-Ones/King's-Evil/Kreator/Legion-of-the-Damned/Lich-King/Lvcifyre/Maat/Mammoth-Grinder/Man-Must-Die/Meshuggah/Mgla/Miasmal/Miseration/Mitochondrian/Mutoid-Man/Nader-Sadek/Nails/Ne-Obliviscaris/Necrophobic/Necrot/Negative-Plane/Nekrofilth/Nekromantheon/Nevermore/Nightbreed/Night-Flight-Orchestra/Nigredo/Nocturnal-Graves/Obliteration(Norway)/Obscura/Obscure-Infinity/Obsequiae/October-Tide/Onslaught/Opeth/Orator/Outre/Pallbearer/Persefone/Perversifier/Pestifer/Phrenelith/Power-Trip/Pro-Pain/Protector/Purson/Ranger/Ramming-Speed/Razor/Recueil-Morbide/Repugnant/Ripper/Scorched/Scythian/Septicflesh/Serpents-Lair/Shape-of-Despair/Shrine-of-Insanabilis/Skeletonwitch/Solipsist/Solution-.45/Sorcery/Soreption/Speedtrap/Speedwolf/Suffering-Hour/Sulphur-Aeon/Svart-Crown/Swallow-The-Sun/Swallowed/Sylosis/Take-Over-And-Destroy/Teethgrinder/Temple-of-Baal/Temple-of-Void/Terrifier/Thantifaxath/Thy-Darkened-Shade/Toxic-Holocaust/Tribulation/Triptykon/Triumvir-Foul/Turbid-North/Ulsect/Uncle-Acid/Unfathomable-Ruination/Vampire/Vastum/Vektor/Venefixion/Venenum/Vicious-Art/Vomitory/Vorum/Warbringer/Watain/Witchcraft/Witchery/Wolfheart/Year-of-the-Goat/Zhrine/ZOM

Green - Most Wanted | Red - Booked
  • Post Reply 2628 posts