Post Reply 105 posts
VERY unhappy with line up so far.
  • Tigerclaw_x
    Oiler

VERY unhappy with line up so far.

by Tigerclaw_x » Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:46 am

So far it has been "puke metal central". Very few non death/or growley thrash bands. Reality check: this is NOT Barge to hell tour. Reality check, this is NOT death metal festival. Keep it up and I am sitting this one out. Only TWO bands are to my liking so far: Rhapsody, Sonata Arctica and In Extremo... THREE out of 12, Karl. Thats CRAPPY average. Hope there will be actually GOOD bands
    Gratch
    Chief Petty Officer

Re: VERY unhappy with line up so far.

by Gratch » Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:52 am

Tigerclaw_x wrote:So far it has been "puke metal central". Very few non death/or growley thrash bands. Reality check: this is NOT Barge to hell tour. Reality check, this is NOT death metal festival. Keep it up and I am sitting this one out. Only TWO bands are to my liking so far: Rhapsody, Sonata Arctica and In Extremo... THREE out of 12, Karl. Thats CRAPPY average. Hope there will be actually GOOD bands

Funny, those are the three bands announced that I couldn't care less about. Different strokes and all...

This isn't the best lineup for me so far (that was 2016), but it's certainly getting better.
    Last edited by Gratch on Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
    Survivor 2016/17/18/19/20

Ultimate Wishlist Bands
    Anaal Nathrakh - Behemoth - Igorrr - Khemmis - Myrkur - The Ocean - Pallbearer - Sigh - Tribulation - Sentient Horror - Turisas - Wilderun - Witherscape - Zeal & Ardor
  • meshuggah
    Ensign

by meshuggah » Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:53 am

One man's garbage is another man's treasure. For me, this is so far the best lineup so far.
  • Mark
    Petty Officer

by Mark » Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:55 am

To each his own.
    I don't like the lineup either but it usually all pans out in the end.
    And if it doesn't it'll save me a lot of money and we'll see again in 2019 :party:
    Alestorm/Amaranthe/Anneke/Avantasia/Blind Guardian/Civil War/Devin Townsend/Apokalyptische Reiter/Edguy/Ensiferum/Equilibrium/Falconer/Gloryhammer/Grave Digger/Heidevolk/Korpiklaani/Omnium Gatherum/Powerwolf/Rage/Sabaton/Saxon/Therion/Trollfest/Wintersun
    TPH
    Chief Petty Officer

by TPH » Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:01 am

Wacken 2003
    Fury Fest 2004-2005, Hellfest 2006 to 2023
    70K 2017 - cabin 2250
    70K 2018 - cabin 8215
    70K 2019 - cabin 10xxx (can't fucking remember)
    metalmaciejmetal
    Chief Petty Officer

by metalmaciejmetal » Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:08 am

I'm not crazy about the list either. I've seen many of these bands already. I'm cool with most of them but nothing that I'm losing my mind over. Of course in a different scenario if any of these bands were to play an open air rock festival I'd be happy to see any of these bands.

So far the bands I'm most interested in is In Extremo (I've never seen them) and Cannibal Corpse, I've seen them many times but their always fun.

ANyway, its not even 20 band listed yet. There are so many more to come. I'm sure there will be something you'll lose your shit over. And there is also the potential of discovering some sick band you've never heard before. There more coming, stop complaining!
    Survivor 2016 and 2017
  • Tigerclaw_x
    Oiler

by Tigerclaw_x » Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:16 am

I already know all of the bands. Why do you think I am pissed? Last tour they had 28 bands that I liked. 9 of those bands I went to see TWICE. I am not even that big of a fan of Sonata Arctica, but I will take them over all the "we gurgle with sulfuric acid" bands. I was hoping there will be more power/doom bands on this year... Lets see how it pans out. but so far this seems like a crappy line up. With exception of the 3 bands I named. I understand that some people like death metal. But to me, getting a rootcanal and seeing a death metal band are the same levels of "pleasure".
    Evican
    Sub-Lieutenant

by Evican » Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:41 am

Tigerclaw_x wrote:So far it has been "puke metal central". Very few non death/or growley thrash bands. Reality check: this is NOT Barge to hell tour. Reality check, this is NOT death metal festival. Keep it up and I am sitting this one out. Only TWO bands are to my liking so far: Rhapsody, Sonata Arctica and In Extremo... THREE out of 12, Karl. Thats CRAPPY average. Hope there will be actually GOOD bands

Wait until there's 40 bands or so announced before you start getting all pissy about the line-up. You don't want to like all 60 bands as you're not likely to see all of them anyway.

SIDE NOTE: I love the line-up so far! :bmhorns:
    70K 2011 | 2012 | 2017 | 2018 | 2020
    2020 WISHLIST: Sulphur Aeon-Cripper-Carach Angren-Melechesh-Behemoth-Benighted-Epica-Negura Bunget-Disarmonia Mundi-Ex Deo-Into Eternity-Septicflesh-Nightrage-Emperor-Incantation-Necrophagist-Kalisia-Virgin Black
    stoverkill
    Midshipman

by stoverkill » Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:44 am

I'm not happy either. Not a single band I'm interested in...... yet.

I complain every year, but every year I'm back, so I will be patient...for now.
    13 time survivor
  • Electrichead
    Crewman

by Electrichead » Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:11 am

Start your own cruise then. :roll:
    2013, 2014, 2015 survivor
    Pellaz
    Lieutenant

by Pellaz » Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:24 am

Electrichead wrote:Start your own cruise then. :roll:

Or if the lineup is too growly, there's always, say, ProgPower Europe or ProgPower USA.

One of Andy's best traits is booking a pretty diverse lineup every year. I have a feeling he's got a few big power-metal or "girly" bands up his sleeves (aside from Sonata Arctica, ov corpse :lol: ) to reveal before public onsales start.
    2025 Wishlist:
    1349--Abbath--Abigail.Williams--Aephanemer--Agalloch--Agathodaimon--Alien.Weaponry--Allegaeon--Amon.Amarth--Amorphis--Animals.As.Leaders--Arkona--Arsis--Atrocity--Ayreon--Bal.Sagoth--Baroness--Barren.Earth--Battlelore--Behemoth--Below.7--Belzebubs--Be'lakor--Black.Crown.Initiate--Bloodbath--Borknagar--Broken.Trinity--Cannibal.Corpse--Chthe'ilist--CoF--Countless.Skies--Cynic--Demons.&.Wizards--Dimmu.Borgir--Dark.Tranquillity--Dragonforce--Edge.of.Sanity--Witherscape--anything.Dan.Swano--Eluveitie--Eneferens--Ensiferum--Enslaved--Eternal.Tears.of.Sorrow--Evergrey--Exmortus--Ex.Deo--Fear.Factory--Fires.In.the.Distance--Gojira--Graveworm--Green.Carnation--Hypocrisy--Immortal--Insomnium--Irreversible.Mechanism--Kalmah--Kamelot--Keep.Of.Kalessin--Korpiklaani--Kreator--Leprous--Luciferan.Light.Orchestra--Loss--Melechesh--Meshuggah--Mezarkabul--Moonspell--Mors.Principium.Est--Myrath--Ne.Obliviscaris--Nile--Nokturnal.Mortem--NorthTale--Novembers.Doom--Obscura--Old.Mans.Child--Opeth--Paladin--Poisonblack--Powerwolf--Primordial--Rapheumet's.Well--Raven--Rivers.Of.Nihil--Ryujin--Sabaton--Sadistic.Ritual--Samael--Satyricon--Savatage--Scale.the.Summit--Scorched.Moon--Septic.Flesh--Serious.Black--Seven.Spires--Sigh--Skalmold--Slough.Feg--Starkill--Steorrah--SYL--Suidakra--Summoning--Tarot--Therion--Thy.Serpent--Tomarum--Tomb.Mold--Turisas--Twilight.Force--Tyr--Vale.Of.Pnath--Valhalore--Vesania--Vintersorg--Wolfchant--Yyrkoon
    2015-2020; 2023-2024: Survivor
    2025: most likely
    Evican
    Sub-Lieutenant

by Evican » Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:45 am

Pellaz wrote:One of Andy's best traits is booking a pretty diverse lineup every year. I have a feeling he's got a few big power-metal or "girly" bands up his sleeves (aside from Sonata Arctica, ov corpse :lol: ) to reveal before public onsales start.

Still hoping for NIGHTWISH.
    70K 2011 | 2012 | 2017 | 2018 | 2020
    2020 WISHLIST: Sulphur Aeon-Cripper-Carach Angren-Melechesh-Behemoth-Benighted-Epica-Negura Bunget-Disarmonia Mundi-Ex Deo-Into Eternity-Septicflesh-Nightrage-Emperor-Incantation-Necrophagist-Kalisia-Virgin Black
  • orgy
    Wiper

by orgy » Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:49 am

More heavy equal more good :)
    acidbasement
    Chief Petty Officer

by acidbasement » Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:14 pm

It's pretty early to get upset, and 70K is about way more than the bands anyway, so whatever.

But seriously Andy, bring Tobias Sammet onboard or I'm puking in the pool.
    I'm only here to do two things: play the bagpipes and gargle sulphuric acid. Looks like we're almost out of acid.
    cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:44 pm

As far as comparing the first 16 bands to previous years, this would definitely be my least favourite lineup up so far.

Two bands from my signature wishlist - and even those, Rhapsody are probably not even in my top 20 favourite bands and are more there for the novelty of the whole 'reunion farewell tour' thing, and Sonata's last album was crap.

Aeternam are cool, but hardly a bucketlist band, and Dark Tranquillity are in my top 10 favourite bands but I've seen them a heap of times so would much rather someone I've not seen before.

My opinion would change completely if the W is Within Temptation though :P
    Upcoming Gigs:
    -/-Halestorm?-/-Fleshgod-Apocalypse-/-Scar-Symmetry-/-Wind-Rose-/-Unleash-The-Archers
    2025 Wishlist
    Ad-Infinitum-/-Aephanemer-/-All-For-Metal-/-Alterium-/-Ancient-Bards-/-Atlas-Pain-/-Avantasia-/-Battlelore-/Beast-In-Black-/-Believer-/-Beyond-The-Black-/-Brothers-of-Metal-/-Catalyst-Crime-/-Civil-War-/-Circus-Maximus-/-Claymorean-/-Cobra-Spell-/-Dark-Moor-/-Dark-Sarah-/-Dartagnan-/-Diabulus-In-Musica-/-Edguy-/-Ex-Libris-/-Exit-Eden-/-Fellowship-/-Follow-The-Cipher-/-Frozen-Crown-/-Galderia-/-Hammer-King-/-Heavatar-/-Ignea-/-Imperial-Age-/-In-This-Moment-/-Jaldaboath-/-Kaledon-/-Labyrinth-/-Living-Sacrifice-/-Metalite-/-Moonlight-Haze-/-Neopera-/-Nestor-/-Nocturna-/-Orden-Ogan-/-Pathfinder-/-Phantom-Elite-/-Poisonblack-/-Power-Paladin-/-Powerwolf-/-The-Privateer-/-Rexoria-/-Running-Wild-/-She-Wolf-/-Silver-Bullet-/-Sleeping-Romance-/-Sojourner-/-Tarot-/-Ten-/-Thaurorod-/-The-Big-Deal-/-The-Dark-Element-/-Trick-or-Treat-/-Trillium-/-Unisonic-/-Valhalore-/-Vanishing-Point-/-Volturian-/-Walk-In-Darkness-/-Within-Temptation
    DrinkMoxie
    Commander

by DrinkMoxie » Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:59 pm

OCTOBER rulessofuckingmuch TIDE ffs
    ACanorousQuintet-AblazeMySorrow-Acrassicauda-Aephanemer-Agalloch-Alligator-Amsvartner-Anacrusis-Anata-...AndOceans-AngelusApatrida-ArmoredSaint-Atoma-Bal*Sagoth-Bethzaida-BlackEarth-BlackKirin-BoltThrower-Borknagar-BurdenOfGrief-BuriedDreams-CallenishCircle-Candiria-CarBomb-Carcariass-CardinalSin-CarnalForge-CeremonialOath-Cloak-ComposMentis-ConditionCritical-Conjurer-CrestOfDarkness-Crisis-Crisix-Crowpath-Cryptosis-Cyclone-Dagon-Damaged-DarkAngel-Darkane-DaylightDies-Deadguy-Deep-DemolitionHammer-DescendIntoNothingness-DestroyJudas-Devastation-Devil'sForce-DewScented-DimensionF3H-DimensionZero-Dispatched-Downpour-Dyscarnate-EbonyTears-EdgeOfSanity-End-EndOfGreen-EphelDuath-EpochOfUnlight-EternalLies-EternalTearsOfSorrow-Eucharist-Euphoreon-Excretion-Exhorder-EyesOfFire-FiresInTheDistance-Firewind-Flying-Folkearth-FragmentsOfUnbecoming-FrostyEve-Gardenian-GatesOfIshtar-Gnostic-GodForbid-Gojira-GospelOfTheWitches-Graveripper-GreenCarnation-GreySkiesFallen-Greywalker-Grimfist-Hacride-Hinayana-Host-Hypocrisy-Illogicist-Impious-In~Quest-InThousandLakes-InThyDreams-InsanityAlert-Itself-Jaldaboath-JulieLaughsNomore-Kull-LakeOfTears-LegionOfTheDamned-LightThisCity-LordHumungous-Majesties-ManipulatedSlaves-MeadowsEnd-MentalHome-Mindrot-Minsk-Miscreant-MMXX-MorbidSaint-Morgion-MortalVision-MotherOfAll-MyHiddenSin-Myrath-NailWithin-NeglectedFields-Neurosis-NightInGales-Nightfall-Norther-Nostromo-Nothgard-Nothnegal-November17-Nyktophobia-Onslaught-Oubliette-Powerwolf-PreHumanVaults-ReArmed-RedHarvest-RitualSacrifice-RiverBlack-Sacrifice-Sadus-SamBlackChurch-Scarve-Seducer'sEmbrace-SevendayCurse-Shadow-ShadowsFall-Shangren-ShoresOfIthaka-Sigh-Sikasa-Silva-SinsOfOmission-SkidRow(w/SebastianBach)-Skyfire-Slumber-Solefald-SolemnVision-Solstice-SpiralArchitect-StarViper-SubterraneanMasquerade-SuicidalTendencies-TerraOdium-Terror2000-Testament-TheAbsence-TheCircle-TheCrown-TheForsaken-TheExcrementoryGrindfuckers-TheZephyr-ThisEnding-Tribulation-UnleashTheArchers-UponStone-ViciousBlade-Vinterland-Vintersorg-Warmen-Whispered-Whitesnake-WhiteZombie-WitheredBeauty-WitheringSurface-Witherscape-WithoutGrief-Wraith-XCops-Xentrix-Zimmer'sHole

cabin 3013 (2012)
    cabin 9560 (2014)
    cabin 8671 (2015)
    cabin 7313 (2017)
    cabin 6525 (2018)
    cabin 2376 (2024)
    Razor Ramon
    Midshipman

by Razor Ramon » Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:08 pm

DrinkMoxie wrote:OCTOBER rulessofuckingmuch TIDE ffs

Yes.
    70000 Tons 2019
    Wishlist:Anneke-Van-Geirsbergen-VUUR-/-Battlelore-/-Borknagar-/-My-Dying-Bride-/-Draconian-/-Harakiri-For-The-Sky-/-The-Gathering-/-Anathema-/-Within-Temptation-/-Novembre-/-Katatonia-/-Lacuna-Coil-/-Rainover-/-Moonspell-/-Funeral-/-Isole/-Nightwish-/-Riverside-/-The-Crown-/-Autumnal-/-Aeonian-Sorrow-/-Throes-Of-Dawn-/-Thurisaz-/-Daylight-Dies-/-Shape-Of-Despair-/-Arcturus-/-Be'lakor-/-Ereb-Altor-/-Evocation-/-Tyranny-/-Sulphur-Aeon-/-Ajattara-/-Sojourner-/-Oceans-Of-Slumber-/-Lik-/-Thyrfing-/-In-The-Woods-/-Skepticism-/-Heaven-Shall-Burn-/-Darkwell-/-Vetrar-Draugurinn-/-Therion-/-Haggard-/-Draconian-/-Bloodred-Hourglass-/-Bowel-Fuck-/-Batushka-/-Mork-/-Devour-The-Fetus-/-Perturbator-/-Carpenter-Brut-/-Hallatar-/-Infiltration-/-Myrkur-/-Before-The-Dawn-/-Letters-From-The-Colony-/-Demonical-/-Helevorn-/-Viscera-Infest-/-Wormrot-/-And-Oceans
    My musical taste:http://www.last.fm/user/Anthony3
    Shadow Son
    Petty Officer

by Shadow Son » Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:10 pm

We don't even have a third of the final line up announced yet but here you are whining like a spoiled brat. Look through the previous line ups: all of them had a decent variety of bands. I expect we'll see more diverse announcements as time goes on. You're overreacting.

In the end if the line up isn't good enough for you then simply don't book. No one is forcing you to come and no one is forcing you to spend your money on this.

Simply put, 70k is a dream vacation. There are literally thousands of people that would love to come but can't for one reason or another, regardless of what bands are announced. Give your head a shake: You are taking 70k for granted.
    2015: Survivor: Cabin 9321
    2016: Survivor: Cabin 8455
    2017:
    ABANDONED SHIP!
    2018: Survivor: Cabin 1688
    2019:
    ABANDONED SHIP!
    2020: ABANDONED SHIP!
  • deathmetalpat
    Ensign

by deathmetalpat » Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:18 pm

Meh Boat
    Fair points on both sides ,however you are blind booking this cruise,which is highly unusual.So a fair amount of people just go for the experience, fraternity and or yearly vacation.I got that 2014 feeling myself.
    2012-14 Survivor
    2015-16 Abandoned Ship
    2017 Returned
    2018 Got a bad feeling about this Abandon Ship
    2019 This is Fucking Ridiculous
    2020 Bands ,what bands boat is all that matters
    2021 Yeah this isn’t happening
    Azazel101
    Sub-Lieutenant

by Azazel101 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:44 pm

I thought 2013 was and is still the worst line-up but I had a blast on the cruise.
    I saw bands I would never even give a chance and loved them
    I am not 100% happy with this years line up so far but fukk if I will miss it!!!
    see you all in 6 months :shred: :metalguy: :shred: :3drunks:
    ThyDarkendShade-/-SickofitAll-/-ArchEneny-/-AmonAmarth-/-Atrophy-/-D.R.I.-/-SuicidalTendencies-/-SLAYERlastshow-/-AmoredSaint-/-Autopsy-/-Doyle-/-AcidBath-/-BodyCount-/-Defiance-/-Dismember-/-ViscularAssault-/-Clutch-/-Entrails-/-EntombedAD-/-Hypocrisy-/-JungleRot-/-BrokenHope-/-NuclearAssault-/-Solstafir-/-LodyKong-/-Swans-/-Izgrim-/-LawnmowerDeth-/-TheExploited-/-CrypticSlaughter-/-FEAR
    Survived2011/12/13/14/15/16/17/18/19/BTH
  • Tigerclaw_x
    Oiler

by Tigerclaw_x » Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:08 pm

Yes. In 2017 I met bunch of people and it was fun. But to me, first and foremost it is to go see shows which otherwise I won't be able to see. And yes. I got to prog power. And yes, if it would be up to me,. instead of "puke into microphone" bands, I would rather see good local US metal bands: Conniption, Wrath, Shaolin Death Squad. Trouble. Deep Space Pilots, Beast Maker, Noble Beast, and many many many others. I would rather see THOSE bands promoted and exposed than "We puke into microphone to 3 chords played very fast".
    If line up sucks. I am not going, So far - doesn't seem like I want to see this line up. I saw Sonata Arctica 3 times in 2 years. In Extremo and Rhapsody are so far the only 2 bands I want to see...
    Stained Class
    Commander

by Stained Class » Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:11 pm

Suggestion: find a festival that has a lineup you like and go to that one. There are literally hundreds of festivals in Europe, I'm sure one of them will have a lineup more suited for you?
    9 time cruiser

I'm in a band
    www.facebook.com/Apprenticemetal

I run a festival
    https://www.facebook.com/events/2854966994515383
  • Tigerclaw_x
    Oiler

by Tigerclaw_x » Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:22 pm

Unfortunately, I live in USA. And going to those festivals will be MUCH more expensive than going on the cruise. And yes, I do go to Prog Power in USA.
  • Downvod
    Midshipman

by Downvod » Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:27 pm

Tigerclaw_x wrote:Yes. In 2017 I met bunch of people and it was fun. But to me, first and foremost it is to go see shows which otherwise I won't be able to see. And yes. I got to prog power. And yes, if it would be up to me,. instead of "puke into microphone" bands, I would rather see good local US metal bands: Conniption, Wrath, Shaolin Death Squad. Trouble. Deep Space Pilots, Beast Maker, Noble Beast, and many many many others. I would rather see THOSE bands promoted and exposed than "We puke into microphone to 3 chords played very fast".
    If line up sucks. I am not going, So far - doesn't seem like I want to see this line up. I saw Sonata Arctica 3 times in 2 years. In Extremo and Rhapsody are so far the only 2 bands I want to see...

Which band exactly only plays 3 chords? Try listening to some Obscura and tell me those musicians don't play circles out of any of the bands you listed. If you were more focused on the instrumental aspect, which is what really drives Heavy Metal, you'd be able to see beyond the guttural vocals. Most of us don't listen to isolated tracks of someone screaming or growling into a microphone. We focus on the instruments and the compositions.

If you don't like it, you don't like it. But you came to the wrong place if you want to trash extreme metal, sir.
    70k 2016: Cabin 7279
    70k 2017: Cabin 6361
    70k 2018: Cabin 1704
    70k 2019: Cabin 1402
    70k 2020: Cabin 9220
    70k 2023: Cabin 1704
    70k 2024: Cabin 1688

Abbath-/-AEPHANEMER-/-Aetherian-/-Alestorm-/-Allegaeon-/-Amon.Amarth-/-Amorphis-/-Andy.Gillion-/-Animals.as.Leaders-/-Annihilator-/-Arkona-/-Armageddon-/-Arsis-/-Ashes.of.Ares-/-Battlecross-/-Behemoth-/-BE'LAKOR-/-Belzebubs-/-Beyond.Creation-/-Black.Crown.Initiate-/-BLIND.GUARDIAN-/-Bloodbath-/-Bloodred.Hourglass-/-BORKNAGAR-/-Brymir-/-Carcass-/-Children.of.Bodom-/-Conjurer-/-The.Crown-/-Cthonic-/-Dalriada-/-Dark.Funeral-/-Dark.Tranquillity-/-Death.Angel-/-Death.to.All-/-Decapitated-/-Demonic.Resurrection-/-Demons.&.Wizards-/-Destruction-/-DGM-/-Dimmu.Borgir-/-Dragonlord-/-Enslaved-/-Equilibrium-/-ETERNAL.TEARS.OF.SORROW-/-Evocation-/-Finsterforst-/-Fleshgod.Apocalypse-/-Galactic.Empire-/-Ghoul-/-Gojira-/-Harakiri.for.the.Sky-/-Heidevolk-/-Hypocrisy-/-Iced.Earth-/-Immortal-/-Inferi-/-IN.MOURNING-/-Insomnium-/-In.Vain-/-Irreversible.Mechanism-/-Keep.of.Kalessin-/-Kreator-/-Kvelertak-/-Lovebites-/-Manegarm-/-Mastodon-/-Melechesh-/-Midnight-/-MGLA-/-Myrkur-/-Naglfar-/-Necrophagist-/-Necrophobic-/-Ne.Obliviscaris-/-Night.Demon-/-Nile-/-Obscura-/-Old.Man's.Child-/-Onslaught-/-Opeth-/-Orden.Ogan-/-Powerglove-/-Power.Trip-/-Psycroptic-/-Rage-/-Refuge-/-Revocation-/-Rivers.of.Nihil-/-Septicflesh-/-Solution.45-/-Swallow.the.Sun-/-SYMPHONY.X-/-TAAKE-/-Tankard-/-Testament-/-TRIBULATION-/-Uada-/-Unleash.the.Archers-/-Vader-/-Vallenfyre-/-Vektor-/-Warbringer-/-Watain-/-Winterfylleth-/-Winterhymn-/-WITCHERY-/-Witherscape-/-Wolfheart-/-Wolves.in.the.Throne.Room
  • Tigerclaw_x
    Oiler

by Tigerclaw_x » Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:53 pm

Yes, and you can add Moonspell to the bands which have VERY complex music (and I love Moonspell lyrics). The problem is that growling destroys everything from me "This song was so great and then he had to open his mouth". I grew up on Ozzy, Dio, Judas Priest, Maiden, Warlock, Candlemass, Later started listening to Megadeth, Helloween, Slayer, Gamma Ray. Rage, Running Wild, Saxon, Solitude Aeternus. To me as soon as I hear growling lyrics it is like getting stabbed into both ears with screwdriver.
  • meshuggah
    Ensign

by meshuggah » Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:08 pm

Perhaps if you think of the vocals as another guitar with a Dunlop distortion pedal engaged you can let go of the fact that a human voice is making the sound. As far as only 3 chords being used...you're not listening.
  • Jotunheimr
    Midshipman

by Jotunheimr » Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:24 pm

meshuggah wrote:Perhaps if you think of the vocals as another guitar with a Dunlop distortion pedal engaged you can let go of the fact that a human voice is making the sound. As far as only 3 chords being used...you're not listening.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
    2015: 6511
    2016: 7455
    2020: 3240
    2025:

2024 Gigs: Tyr&Trollfest-/-Korpiklaani-/-Firewind-/-Kamelot-/-Exhumed-/-AmonAmarth

Wishlist: AdornedBrood-/-Alestorm-/-Arcturus-/-Arkona-/-Arsis-/-Artension-/-BeastInBlack-/-Blackguard-/-BlackMessiah-/-Borknagar-/-Carcass-/-CarpathianForest-/-CircleIICircle-/-Crownshift-/-Cruachan-/-Cryptosis-/-Dalriada-/-DerWegEinerFreiheit-/-DimmuBorgir-/-Einherjer-/-Eluveitie-/-Elvenking-/-Ensiferum-/-Enslaved-/-Equilibrium-/-Falconer-/-Falkenbach-/-Fejd-/-Feuerschwanz-/-Finntroll-/-Finsterforst-/-Firewind-/-FleshgodApocalypse-/-Folkearth-/-Forefather-/-Gåte-/-Glittertind-/-Gorguts-/-Haggard-/-HarakiriForTheSky-/-Heidevolk-/-Isengard-/-JonOlivasPain-/-Kampfar-/-KingOfAsgard-/-KivimetsanDruidi-/-Korpiklaani-/-Krisiun-/-LornaShore-/-Lumsk-/-Manegarm-/-Metsatoll-/-Mithotyn-/-Moonsorrow-/-Moonspell-/-Necrophagist-/-Nightwish-/-OfTheWandAndTheMoon-/-Otyg-/-Primordial-/-RiotV-/-RottingChrist-/-Sabaton-/-Savatage-/-SevenSpires-/-Skalmold-/-Skiltron-/-Skyforger-/-Sodom-/-Solstafir-/-Spellblast-/-SpiritsOfFire-/-SteelPanther-/-Svartsot-/-Swashbuckle-/-Testament-/-TheBlackDahliaMurder-/-TheHaunted-/-Thorondir-/-Thyrfing-/-ToxicHolocaust-/-Trollfest-/-Turisas-/-Tyr-/-Ulver-/-Varg-/-Verikalpa-/-Vintersorg-/-Warmen-/-Wintersun-/-Wolfchant
    cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:33 pm

Joey Joey Joey - tsk tsk tsk! You should know very well that 70K is nothing like a European festival!

Very unfair to say 'if you don't like the 70K lineup, check out a European festival'.

A European metal cruise, yes. But you cannot compare seeing a band twice on a luxury cruiseship with 3000 other people, to spying a band in the distance with 30,000 other people in a muddy field at Wacken!
    Upcoming Gigs:
    -/-Halestorm?-/-Fleshgod-Apocalypse-/-Scar-Symmetry-/-Wind-Rose-/-Unleash-The-Archers
    2025 Wishlist
    Ad-Infinitum-/-Aephanemer-/-All-For-Metal-/-Alterium-/-Ancient-Bards-/-Atlas-Pain-/-Avantasia-/-Battlelore-/Beast-In-Black-/-Believer-/-Beyond-The-Black-/-Brothers-of-Metal-/-Catalyst-Crime-/-Civil-War-/-Circus-Maximus-/-Claymorean-/-Cobra-Spell-/-Dark-Moor-/-Dark-Sarah-/-Dartagnan-/-Diabulus-In-Musica-/-Edguy-/-Ex-Libris-/-Exit-Eden-/-Fellowship-/-Follow-The-Cipher-/-Frozen-Crown-/-Galderia-/-Hammer-King-/-Heavatar-/-Ignea-/-Imperial-Age-/-In-This-Moment-/-Jaldaboath-/-Kaledon-/-Labyrinth-/-Living-Sacrifice-/-Metalite-/-Moonlight-Haze-/-Neopera-/-Nestor-/-Nocturna-/-Orden-Ogan-/-Pathfinder-/-Phantom-Elite-/-Poisonblack-/-Power-Paladin-/-Powerwolf-/-The-Privateer-/-Rexoria-/-Running-Wild-/-She-Wolf-/-Silver-Bullet-/-Sleeping-Romance-/-Sojourner-/-Tarot-/-Ten-/-Thaurorod-/-The-Big-Deal-/-The-Dark-Element-/-Trick-or-Treat-/-Trillium-/-Unisonic-/-Valhalore-/-Vanishing-Point-/-Volturian-/-Walk-In-Darkness-/-Within-Temptation
    Stained Class
    Commander

by Stained Class » Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:01 pm

9 time cruiser

I'm in a band
    www.facebook.com/Apprenticemetal

I run a festival
    https://www.facebook.com/events/2854966994515383
    Sgt. B
    Lieutenant-Commander

by Sgt. B » Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:30 pm

Stained Class wrote:Image

:lol:
    1914-Abbath-Aeon-Ahab-Akercocke-Alcest-AliceCooper-Alestorm-AmonAmarth-Amorphis-AnaalNathrakh-Anathema-AnnekeVanGeirsbergen/VUUR-ArmoredSaint-Asphyx-AtTheGates-Auðn-Ayreon-BarrenEarth-Behemoth-Be'lakor-BlackBreath-BlackFast-BlindGuardian-Borknagar-Brainstorm-CallenishCircle-Candlemass-CarpenterBrut-ChelseaWolfe-CirithUngol-Cloak-Conan-CravenIdol-Cruachan-CryptSermon-CultOfLuna-CutUp-DarkAngel-DarkFortress-DeadCongregation-DeathAngel-DemolitionHammer-Demons&Wizards-DevinTownsend-Dismember-DraggedIntoSunlight-Dyscarnate-EdgeOfSanity-ElectricWizard-Emperor-Enforcer-Enshine-Entombed-Entrails-EsotericUK-Evocation-Exodus-Evoken-Exhorder-Falkenbach-FatesWarning-Fen-Feral-Firespawn-Flotsam&Jetsam-ForgottenTomb-GeneralSurgery-Ghost-GhostBath-Ghoul-Godflesh-Gojira-Gorguts-Gorod-GrandMagus-Grave-GraveMiasma-GreenCarnation-Haemorrhage-HammersOfMisfortune-Hate-HighSpirits-HoodedMenace-Hypocrisy-IcedEarth-Ihsahn-Immolation-ImperiumDekadenz-InTheWoods-Incantation-InterArma-IronReagan-Izegrim-Kadavar-Kampfar-KeepOfKalessin-Khemmis-Khonsu-KingDiamond/MercyfulFate-KingGoat-Kriegsmaschine-LaazRockit-LacunaCoil-LegionOfTheDamned-LIK-LimbonicArt-Loudness-Lvcifyre(UK)-Manegarm-Melechesh-Memoriam-Mgla-MiseryIndex-Mistur-MonsterMagnet-Moonsorrow-Moonspell-MournfulCongregation-MunicipalWaste-MyDyingBride-Myrkur-MysticProphecy-Nails-Necrot-NovembersDoom-Novembre-NuclearAssault-Okera-Opeth-OrangeGoblin-OranssiPazuzu-Orchid-Overkill-PagansMind-Panopticon-Perturbator-Portal-Powerwolf-Primordial-Profetus-PowerTrip-Prong-Queensryche-RottenSound-RottingChrist-S.O.D.-Sabbat(UK)-SacredReich-Sanctuary-Saor-Sarke-Saturnus-Satyricon-Saxon-Schammasch-SecretsOfTheMoon-ShapeOfDespair-SkeletalRemains-Skeletonwitch-Skepticism-Skyclad-Skyforger-Sleep-SloughFeg-Solstafir-SufferingHour-SuicidalAngels-SulphurAeon-SvartCrown-Sylosis-TempleOfVoid-Testament-TheCrown-TheGathering-TheGreatOldOnes-TheHaunted-TheLurkingFear-TheOcean-TheRuinsOfBeverast-Therion-Thulcandra-Thyrfing-Tribulation-Triptykon-Uada-Ulcerate-Unleashed-Vader-Vemod-Vio-Lence-Visigoth-Voices(UK)-Vredehammer-Vreid-WakeTheDead-Watain-Wayfarer-Waylander-Windhand-Winterfylleth-Witherscape-WithinTemptation-Wolf-WolvesInTheThroneRoom-Yob-Zhrine

2012: Survivor
    2014: Survivor
    2015: Survivor
    2016: Survivor
    2017: Survivor
    2018: Survivor
    2019: Survivor
    2020: Survivor
    2023: Survivor
    2024: Survivor
    BtH(2012): Survivor
  • Ti7aNiC
    Crewman

by Ti7aNiC » Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:06 pm

Survivor:
    70K 2016, 70K 2017, 70K 2018, 70K 2019, & 70K 2020
    70K 2023?

C A P E   B R E T O N
    C A N A D A

#fuckNewguyme
  • macamatic
    Petty Officer

by macamatic » Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:03 am

cowboy71 wrote:Aeternam are cool, but hardly a bucketlist band, and Dark Tranquillity are in my top 10 favourite bands but I've seen them a heap of times so would much rather someone I've not seen before.

I should have sought you out last year. We'd get along well.

Actually, I might have come across you - were you the guy with the beer who was front and center waiting for MPE's pool deck set?
    2017: 6523 | 2018: 2546

Want: Ancient Bards, Dark Tranquillity, Deadlock, Disarmonia Mundi, In Mourning, Insomnium, Symphony X, The Unguided, Wintersun, Within Temptation
    cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:18 am

macamatic wrote:
    cowboy71 wrote:Aeternam are cool, but hardly a bucketlist band, and Dark Tranquillity are in my top 10 favourite bands but I've seen them a heap of times so would much rather someone I've not seen before.

Actually, I might have come across you - were you the guy with the beer who was front and center waiting for MPE's pool deck set?

Possibly - possibly not. I was around front and centre for the pool deck set:

Upcoming Gigs:
    2025 Wishlist
    Pellaz
    Lieutenant

by Pellaz » Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:46 am

Tigerclaw_x wrote:To me as soon as I hear growling lyrics it is like getting stabbed into both ears with screwdriver.

Andy will usually book a fair number of bands without growls -- traditional metal bands, thrash, girly bands, etc.
    But it's possible that the clean-vocal band ratio to growls on the boat might not be high enough for you to enjoy it, and so 70K might not be for you.
    2025 Wishlist:
    1349--Abbath--Abigail.Williams--Aephanemer--Agalloch--Agathodaimon--Alien.Weaponry--Allegaeon--Amon.Amarth--Amorphis--Animals.As.Leaders--Arkona--Arsis--Atrocity--Ayreon--Bal.Sagoth--Baroness--Barren.Earth--Battlelore--Behemoth--Below.7--Belzebubs--Be'lakor--Black.Crown.Initiate--Bloodbath--Borknagar--Broken.Trinity--Cannibal.Corpse--Chthe'ilist--CoF--Countless.Skies--Cynic--Demons.&.Wizards--Dimmu.Borgir--Dark.Tranquillity--Dragonforce--Edge.of.Sanity--Witherscape--anything.Dan.Swano--Eluveitie--Eneferens--Ensiferum--Enslaved--Eternal.Tears.of.Sorrow--Evergrey--Exmortus--Ex.Deo--Fear.Factory--Fires.In.the.Distance--Gojira--Graveworm--Green.Carnation--Hypocrisy--Immortal--Insomnium--Irreversible.Mechanism--Kalmah--Kamelot--Keep.Of.Kalessin--Korpiklaani--Kreator--Leprous--Luciferan.Light.Orchestra--Loss--Melechesh--Meshuggah--Mezarkabul--Moonspell--Mors.Principium.Est--Myrath--Ne.Obliviscaris--Nile--Nokturnal.Mortem--NorthTale--Novembers.Doom--Obscura--Old.Mans.Child--Opeth--Paladin--Poisonblack--Powerwolf--Primordial--Rapheumet's.Well--Raven--Rivers.Of.Nihil--Ryujin--Sabaton--Sadistic.Ritual--Samael--Satyricon--Savatage--Scale.the.Summit--Scorched.Moon--Septic.Flesh--Serious.Black--Seven.Spires--Sigh--Skalmold--Slough.Feg--Starkill--Steorrah--SYL--Suidakra--Summoning--Tarot--Therion--Thy.Serpent--Tomarum--Tomb.Mold--Turisas--Twilight.Force--Tyr--Vale.Of.Pnath--Valhalore--Vesania--Vintersorg--Wolfchant--Yyrkoon
    2015-2020; 2023-2024: Survivor
    2025: most likely
  • macamatic
    Petty Officer

by macamatic » Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:45 am

cowboy71 wrote:
    macamatic wrote:

Possibly - possibly not. I was around front and centre for the pool deck set:

Oh, shit! I was thinking of someone else, but I definitely saw you with Jess at several shows and had no idea it was you. Come to think of it, I think I saw you guys taking that selfie...
    2017: 6523 | 2018: 2546

Want: Ancient Bards, Dark Tranquillity, Deadlock, Disarmonia Mundi, In Mourning, Insomnium, Symphony X, The Unguided, Wintersun, Within Temptation
  • sara
    Petty Officer

by sara » Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:38 am

I think there are a couple points...

This is a metal festival. To complain about harsh vocals at a heavy metal fest in 2017 makes no sense. We have long ago crossed that bridge.

The first announcements tend to be headliners and other things Andy thinks will drive sales. Like, I want more thrash, but I know those get announced way later, unless it is Anthrax of course.

There were only 16 bands announce. Not all are harsh vocal bands. Hang tight and wait to book or just find some other fest. There are guys who go every year and like hardly any bands, lmao.
    Warbringer-/-King-Parrot-/-Lich-King-/-Angelus-Apatrida-/-Benighted-/-The-Crown-/-Aeon-/-Witchery-/-Occultist-/-Black-Breath-/-Chthonic-/-Alestorm-/-Devin-Townsend-/-Zimmers-Hole-/-Party-Thrash-/-Grindcore-/-Stoner-Bands-/-Folk-Metal-/-Heavier-Prog
    Razor Ramon
    Midshipman

by Razor Ramon » Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:07 am

If you want to see someone annoyed with a line up check me out leading up to the 2015 cruise, shit band after shit band, I was fucking pissed and almost just cancelled. I went anyway and it was awesome, mostly thanks to the one wishlist band I got that was announced the day before the cruise, Wintersun. So I pretty much spent the whole cruise with Wintersun, the only other person I knew on the whole ship was my wife. Slowly I've been gaining a bunch more friends each year. I can't not go at this point.
    70000 Tons 2019
    Wishlist:Anneke-Van-Geirsbergen-VUUR-/-Battlelore-/-Borknagar-/-My-Dying-Bride-/-Draconian-/-Harakiri-For-The-Sky-/-The-Gathering-/-Anathema-/-Within-Temptation-/-Novembre-/-Katatonia-/-Lacuna-Coil-/-Rainover-/-Moonspell-/-Funeral-/-Isole/-Nightwish-/-Riverside-/-The-Crown-/-Autumnal-/-Aeonian-Sorrow-/-Throes-Of-Dawn-/-Thurisaz-/-Daylight-Dies-/-Shape-Of-Despair-/-Arcturus-/-Be'lakor-/-Ereb-Altor-/-Evocation-/-Tyranny-/-Sulphur-Aeon-/-Ajattara-/-Sojourner-/-Oceans-Of-Slumber-/-Lik-/-Thyrfing-/-In-The-Woods-/-Skepticism-/-Heaven-Shall-Burn-/-Darkwell-/-Vetrar-Draugurinn-/-Therion-/-Haggard-/-Draconian-/-Bloodred-Hourglass-/-Bowel-Fuck-/-Batushka-/-Mork-/-Devour-The-Fetus-/-Perturbator-/-Carpenter-Brut-/-Hallatar-/-Infiltration-/-Myrkur-/-Before-The-Dawn-/-Letters-From-The-Colony-/-Demonical-/-Helevorn-/-Viscera-Infest-/-Wormrot-/-And-Oceans
    My musical taste:http://www.last.fm/user/Anthony3
  • Tigerclaw_x
    Oiler

by Tigerclaw_x » Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:54 am

Hey, Macamatic. I remember you. I am the black haired guy in blue/lightning bandana... I remember running into you few times...
    Amyphis
    Petty Officer

by Amyphis » Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:13 pm

This will be my 6th 70K and I am lucky to get one band I really like. I don't care. I go anyway just because I like to get away and be with metal people. I love the atmosphere,
    SWALLOW THE SUN, RAPTURE, AHAB, SATURNUS, DRACONIAN, KATATONIA, ESOTERIC, ISOLE, DAYLIGHT DIES, INSOMNIUM, AMORPHIS, GHOST BATH, HARAKIRI FOR THE SKY, OCEANS OF SLUMBER, EVERGREY

2012: 5578 2018: 7624
    2014: 9554
    2015: 2633
    2016: 7320
    2017: 7624
    wiggyclone
    Wiper

by wiggyclone » Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:20 pm

I've noticed that people complain regardless. There was a guy on FB complaining after 2 bands had been announced. I would just echo what other people have said: give it time. The great thing about this is there is something for everyone. Besides, you don't want too many bands you like otherwise you'd never have time to see them all. In my book, 5 or 6 bands is a good number. There are plenty of other things to do on the boat.
Post Reply 105 posts