Post Reply 13 posts Page 1 of 1
First time aussie traveller
  • Emilysluck13
    Wiper

First time aussie traveller

by Emilysluck13 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:11 pm

:cheers:
    Hey :)
    In thinking of flying over to come join this awesome cruise.
    How much roughly is a room ?
    When do they announce the bands?
    Any hints and tips you would give a first time
    cowboy71
    Commander

Re: First time aussie traveller

by cowboy71 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:27 pm

Welcome to the forum Emily!

8-time Aussie sailor here :)

Roughly, a single spot in the cheapest cabin type will set you back about $US1,000. Be prepared to pay more than that though as the cheapest cabins always sell out super-quick. So, budget for at the very least two grand Australian Dollars.

When do they announce bands? Well NORMALLY, by this time of year we know at least 50% of the lineup!! No idea why we haven't heard anything yet but hopefully bands will be announced ... SOOON. Normally we get 10-20 bands in quick succession at the start of announcements, then a trickle of 1 or 2 bands every few weeks, then the final 10-20 bands in a rush in the few weeks before cruising.

Other tips etc? BE PATIENT. The skipper moves in mysterious ways. People will get frustrated at the weird way he does things, but the end result is always super special.

And if you do manage to get on next year, prepare to be addicted :P 70K 2011 was meant to be a once in a lifetime thing for me, and I've gone on every one since :P
    Upcoming Gigs:
    -/-Halestorm?-/-Fleshgod-Apocalypse-/-Scar-Symmetry-/-Wind-Rose-/-Unleash-The-Archers
    2025 Wishlist
    Ad-Infinitum-/-Aephanemer-/-All-For-Metal-/-Alterium-/-Ancient-Bards-/-Atlas-Pain-/-Avantasia-/-Battlelore-/Beast-In-Black-/-Believer-/-Beyond-The-Black-/-Brothers-of-Metal-/-Catalyst-Crime-/-Civil-War-/-Circus-Maximus-/-Claymorean-/-Cobra-Spell-/-Dark-Moor-/-Dark-Sarah-/-Dartagnan-/-Diabulus-In-Musica-/-Edguy-/-Ex-Libris-/-Exit-Eden-/-Fellowship-/-Follow-The-Cipher-/-Frozen-Crown-/-Galderia-/-Hammer-King-/-Heavatar-/-Ignea-/-Imperial-Age-/-In-This-Moment-/-Jaldaboath-/-Kaledon-/-Labyrinth-/-Living-Sacrifice-/-Metalite-/-Moonlight-Haze-/-Neopera-/-Nestor-/-Nocturna-/-Orden-Ogan-/-Pathfinder-/-Phantom-Elite-/-Poisonblack-/-Power-Paladin-/-Powerwolf-/-The-Privateer-/-Rexoria-/-Running-Wild-/-She-Wolf-/-Silver-Bullet-/-Sleeping-Romance-/-Sojourner-/-Tarot-/-Ten-/-Thaurorod-/-The-Big-Deal-/-The-Dark-Element-/-Trick-or-Treat-/-Trillium-/-Unisonic-/-Valhalore-/-Vanishing-Point-/-Volturian-/-Walk-In-Darkness-/-Within-Temptation
    ymapazagain
    Oiler

by ymapazagain » Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:05 am

My husband and I spent $7000 for just the flights and cruise tickets for this year. We couldn't afford to have our own room (the affordable cabins had sold out by public sales) so we both got single tickets and he shared with 3 guys and I shared with 3 girls. It's was still completely amazing and totally worth the money.
  • Emilysluck13
    Wiper

by Emilysluck13 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:54 pm

So would you recommend sharing a room? I havent travelled alone before and I'll admit it's a bit scary.
    Are rooms to be booked and paid for same day or do they play by.
    Did you fly over a few days earlier ? Did you stay in USA after for a bit
    cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:22 pm

Emilysluck13 wrote:So would you recommend sharing a room? I havent travelled alone before and I'll admit it's a bit scary.

Absolutely recommend sharing a room!

Cabins on board are at minimum 2 people, up to large 8+ rooms.

If you go solo, and book a private cabin, then you would have to still pay for however many people that cabin is.

So if you book a 2 person cabin, that is $1,000 per person. Even if it is only you in that cabin, you would have to pay the $2,000.

The other option is that on 70000 Tons you can choose to book a single ticket. There is an extra $US100 surcharge, and you will get a random room-mate/mates. Here is an example of prices from several years ago (obviously prices and cabin categories have changed, but its just an example):

https://web.archive.org/web/20130909022 ... gle_female

Flying over earlier is a good idea - you get a few days to recover from jet-lag, and also a few days to attend the pre-cruise festivities which is a great way to meet fellow cruisers.

A lot of people like to stay a few days after as well, to recover before flying home :P I usually fly back the same day the cruise returns though, mainly because I tend to have used up all my annual leave by then.

Payment - two options, pay all in one go which you generally have to do within 24 hours of booking, or in four equal monthly installments.
    Upcoming Gigs:
    -/-Halestorm?-/-Fleshgod-Apocalypse-/-Scar-Symmetry-/-Wind-Rose-/-Unleash-The-Archers
    2025 Wishlist
    Ad-Infinitum-/-Aephanemer-/-All-For-Metal-/-Alterium-/-Ancient-Bards-/-Atlas-Pain-/-Avantasia-/-Battlelore-/Beast-In-Black-/-Believer-/-Beyond-The-Black-/-Brothers-of-Metal-/-Catalyst-Crime-/-Civil-War-/-Circus-Maximus-/-Claymorean-/-Cobra-Spell-/-Dark-Moor-/-Dark-Sarah-/-Dartagnan-/-Diabulus-In-Musica-/-Edguy-/-Ex-Libris-/-Exit-Eden-/-Fellowship-/-Follow-The-Cipher-/-Frozen-Crown-/-Galderia-/-Hammer-King-/-Heavatar-/-Ignea-/-Imperial-Age-/-In-This-Moment-/-Jaldaboath-/-Kaledon-/-Labyrinth-/-Living-Sacrifice-/-Metalite-/-Moonlight-Haze-/-Neopera-/-Nestor-/-Nocturna-/-Orden-Ogan-/-Pathfinder-/-Phantom-Elite-/-Poisonblack-/-Power-Paladin-/-Powerwolf-/-The-Privateer-/-Rexoria-/-Running-Wild-/-She-Wolf-/-Silver-Bullet-/-Sleeping-Romance-/-Sojourner-/-Tarot-/-Ten-/-Thaurorod-/-The-Big-Deal-/-The-Dark-Element-/-Trick-or-Treat-/-Trillium-/-Unisonic-/-Valhalore-/-Vanishing-Point-/-Volturian-/-Walk-In-Darkness-/-Within-Temptation
    cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:29 pm

Oh and remember that whatever you choose, there will be an additional fee for taxes etc.

On the example linked above, that fee was $US319. For 70000 Tons of Metal 2018 that fee was $US379 so expect that much or maybe a little more for 2019.

So again using the above as an example, if you managed to score a single ticket in the cheapest quad on 70000 Tons of Metal 2014 it would have cost you:

Cabin: $US666
    Single ticket surchage: $US100
    Taxes: $US319

TOTAL: $US1,085 (at today's exchange rate - about $AU1,500)

Another option is to get a spot in the cabin of a returning cruiser. Returning cruisers get first dibs on cabins, and also get a discount. So if you want to save a few $$$$ that is definitely the way to go, so keep an eye on the 'Recruit a cabinmate' section of the forum and/or post there!!

viewforum.php?f=5
    Upcoming Gigs:
    2025 Wishlist
  • Emilysluck13
    Wiper

by Emilysluck13 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:23 pm

When are tickets available to buy ?
    cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:49 pm

Emilysluck13 wrote:When are tickets available to buy ?

NOW..... USUALLY :P

This is the latest we've ever EVER had to wait so when they will be available is anyone's guess.

In previous years the way it has worked is:

- "GOLD" status cruisers (those that have been on 3 or more times) will get the option to book first. GOLD bookings opened on July 7th 2017 for the 2018 cruise
    - "SILVER" status cruisers (those that have been on 2 times) will get the ability to book a week or so later. Last year that was July 17th
    - GENERAL PUBLIC sales will open some time after that. Last year that was September 21st.
    Upcoming Gigs:
    2025 Wishlist
  • Bob
    Petty Officer

by Bob » Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:51 am

Emilysluck13 wrote:So would you recommend sharing a room? I havent travelled alone before and I'll admit it's a bit scary.

I'd suggest hooking up with the Aussies that come every year. There's a rather large contingent every year, some are my friends. Last year the one group wore a group t-shirt, something about a cunt, can't remember it exactly, it was pretty damn funny tho. Always have a fun time with that group.
    Wishlist 2024: Ranked in order of:
    1. Line up on the center rail for both sets if announced.

Konvent
    2. Never seen them live.
    Anaal_Nathrakh-/-Burning_Witches-/-Combichrist-/-Dee_Snider-/-Gojira-/-Grai-/-Hanzel_und_Gretyl-/-IGNEA-/-Inquisition-/-Jinjer-/-Lovebites-/-King_Diamond-/-Mgla-/-Opeth-/-Rob_Zombie-/-Spiritbox-/-Temple_of_Evil-/-The_Hu-/-Vader-/-Visigoth-/-Wagakki_Band
    3. Seen them before and would love to see them on das boat.
    Avatar-/-Babymetal-/-Behemoth-/-Corrosion_of_Conformity-/-Fleshgod_Apocalypse-/-Lacuna_Coil-/-Lamb_of_God-/-Meshuggah-/-Metsatöll-/-Myrkur-/-Sabaton-/-Sepultura-/-Suicidal_Tendencies-/-Therion-/-The_Iron_Maidens-/-Wolves_in_the_Throne_Room
    70K Survivor - 2015, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 23
    Gratch
    Chief Petty Officer

by Gratch » Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:35 am

cowboy71 wrote: Returning cruisers get first dibs on cabins, and also get a discount.

Minor correction: On previous cruises, returning cruisers get first dibs on cabins, and also get a discount.

At this point, we have no idea what will happen this year.
    Survivor 2016/17/18/19/20

Ultimate Wishlist Bands
    Anaal Nathrakh - Behemoth - Igorrr - Khemmis - Myrkur - The Ocean - Pallbearer - Sigh - Tribulation - Sentient Horror - Turisas - Wilderun - Witherscape - Zeal & Ardor
  • Phoenix
    Lieutenant

by Phoenix » Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:47 am

Gratch wrote:
    cowboy71 wrote: Returning cruisers get first dibs on cabins, and also get a discount.

Minor correction: On previous cruises, returning cruisers get first dibs on cabins, and also get a discount.

When I emailed 70k to update my email, they told me that I'd get my "early booking code" at the new email.

So that part is still happening, at least. I've been on 3 cruises.

Survivor:
    Out for 2023
    Amalu
    Chief Petty Officer

by Amalu » Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:50 am

Gratch wrote:Minor correction: On previous cruises, returning cruisers get first dibs on cabins, and also get a discount.

Well at least officially nothing has changed there. This is from the 70k Facebook page. I, personally, don't think they would make that kind of false statement. So yes, Gold and Silver sales will still be a thing.

Gratch
    Chief Petty Officer

by Gratch » Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:16 am

Phoenix wrote:
    Gratch wrote:

When I emailed 70k to update my email, they told me that I'd get my "early booking code" at the new email.

So that part is still happening, at least. I've been on 3 cruises.

That's good to hear. I'm in the same "3 previous cruise" category, and would hate to miss out if they change things this year.
    Survivor 2016/17/18/19/20

Ultimate Wishlist Bands
    Anaal Nathrakh - Behemoth - Igorrr - Khemmis - Myrkur - The Ocean - Pallbearer - Sigh - Tribulation - Sentient Horror - Turisas - Wilderun - Witherscape - Zeal & Ardor
Post Reply 13 posts Page 1 of 1