Post Reply 44 posts
What did you spend your deposit/Full Fare on while waiting?
    cowboy71
    Commander

What did you spend your deposit/Full Fare on while waiting?

by cowboy71 » Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:00 pm

SERIOUSLY :P

Me? The daughter just got her provisional driver license ("P Plates" as we call them in Australia), so just bought her a first car with the money that would have paid for a cabin in full on 70K.

Honestly got sick of waiting.

Will still be able to get a cabin IF sales are announced this month but will no longer will be able to pay in full until after next payday.
    Upcoming Gigs:
    -/-Scar-Symmetry-/-Wind-Rose-/-Unleash-The-Archers-/-Amaranthe
    2025 Wishlist
    Ad-Infinitum-/-Aephanemer-/-All-For-Metal-/-Alterium-/-Ancient-Bards-/-Atlas-Pain-/-Avantasia-/-Battlelore-/Beast-In-Black-/-Believer-/-Beyond-The-Black-/-Brothers-of-Metal-/-Catalyst-Crime-/-Civil-War-/-Circus-Maximus-/-Claymorean-/-Cobra-Spell-/-Dark-Moor-/-Dark-Sarah-/-Dartagnan-/-Diabulus-In-Musica-/-Edguy-/-Ex-Libris-/-Exit-Eden-/-Fellowship-/-Follow-The-Cipher-/-Frozen-Crown-/-Galderia-/-Hammer-King-/-Heavatar-/-Ignea-/-Imperial-Age-/-In-This-Moment-/-Jaldaboath-/-Kaledon-/-Labyrinth-/-Living-Sacrifice-/-Metalite-/-Moonlight-Haze-/-Neopera-/-Nestor-/-Nocturna-/-Orden-Ogan-/-Pathfinder-/-Phantom-Elite-/-Poisonblack-/-Power-Paladin-/-Powerwolf-/-The-Privateer-/-Rexoria-/-Running-Wild-/-She-Wolf-/-Silver-Bullet-/-Sleeping-Romance-/-Sojourner-/-Tarot-/-Ten-/-Thaurorod-/-The-Big-Deal-/-The-Dark-Element-/-Trick-or-Treat-/-Trillium-/-Unisonic-/-Valhalore-/-Vanishing-Point-/-Volturian-/-Walk-In-Darkness-/-Within-Temptation
  • Jotunheimr
    Midshipman

Re: What did you spend your deposit/Full Fare on while waiti

by Jotunheimr » Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:32 pm

Just bought my flights to and from Germany for this beast. First time out of the country besides 70K and I couldn't be more excited! It's looking like I'll probably be on the next 70K as well due to just getting hired at a new place with a much better pay rate, though I can't pay in full - well - assuming that there will be a cruise next year.

2015: 6511
    2016: 7455
    2020: 3240
    2025:

2024 Gigs: Tyr&Trollfest-/-Korpiklaani-/-Firewind-/-Kamelot-/-Exhumed-/-AmonAmarth

Wishlist: AdornedBrood-/-Alestorm-/-Arcturus-/-Arkona-/-Arsis-/-Artension-/-BeastInBlack-/-Blackguard-/-BlackMessiah-/-Borknagar-/-Carcass-/-CarpathianForest-/-CircleIICircle-/-Crownshift-/-Cruachan-/-Cryptosis-/-Dalriada-/-DerWegEinerFreiheit-/-DimmuBorgir-/-Einherjer-/-Eluveitie-/-Elvenking-/-Ensiferum-/-Enslaved-/-Equilibrium-/-Falconer-/-Falkenbach-/-Fejd-/-Feuerschwanz-/-Finntroll-/-Finsterforst-/-Firewind-/-FleshgodApocalypse-/-Folkearth-/-Forefather-/-Gåte-/-Glittertind-/-Gorguts-/-Haggard-/-HarakiriForTheSky-/-Heidevolk-/-Isengard-/-JonOlivasPain-/-Kampfar-/-KingOfAsgard-/-KivimetsanDruidi-/-Korpiklaani-/-Krisiun-/-LornaShore-/-Lumsk-/-Manegarm-/-Metsatoll-/-Mithotyn-/-Moonsorrow-/-Moonspell-/-Necrophagist-/-Nightwish-/-OfTheWandAndTheMoon-/-Otyg-/-Primordial-/-RiotV-/-RottingChrist-/-Sabaton-/-Savatage-/-SevenSpires-/-Skalmold-/-Skiltron-/-Skyforger-/-Sodom-/-Solstafir-/-Spellblast-/-SpiritsOfFire-/-SteelPanther-/-Svartsot-/-Swashbuckle-/-Testament-/-TheBlackDahliaMurder-/-TheHaunted-/-Thorondir-/-Thyrfing-/-ToxicHolocaust-/-Trollfest-/-Turisas-/-Tyr-/-Ulver-/-Varg-/-Verikalpa-/-Vintersorg-/-Warmen-/-Wintersun-/-Wolfchant
    cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:11 pm

NICE!

That is a pretty sweet lineup :) :heavydrink:
    Upcoming Gigs:
    2025 Wishlist
    Ad-Infinitum-/-Aephanemer-/-All-For-Metal-/-Alterium-/-Ancient-Bards-/-Atlas-Pain-/-Avantasia-/-Battlelore-/Beast-In-Black-/-Believer-/-Beyond-The-Black-/-Brothers-of-Metal-/-Catalyst-Crime-/-Civil-War-/-Circus-Maximus-/-Claymorean-/-Cobra-Spell-/-Dark-Moor-/-Dark-Sarah-/-Dartagnan-/-Diabulus-In-Musica-/-Edguy-/-Ex-Libris-/-Exit-Eden-/-Fellowship-/-Follow-The-Cipher-/-Frozen-Crown-/-Galderia-/-Hammer-King-/-Heavatar-/-Ignea-/-Imperial-Age-/-In-This-Moment-/-Jaldaboath-/-Kaledon-/-Labyrinth-/-Living-Sacrifice-/-Metalite-/-Moonlight-Haze-/-Neopera-/-Nestor-/-Nocturna-/-Orden-Ogan-/-Pathfinder-/-Phantom-Elite-/-Poisonblack-/-Power-Paladin-/-Powerwolf-/-The-Privateer-/-Rexoria-/-Running-Wild-/-She-Wolf-/-Silver-Bullet-/-Sleeping-Romance-/-Sojourner-/-Tarot-/-Ten-/-Thaurorod-/-The-Big-Deal-/-The-Dark-Element-/-Trick-or-Treat-/-Trillium-/-Unisonic-/-Valhalore-/-Vanishing-Point-/-Volturian-/-Walk-In-Darkness-/-Within-Temptation
  • Phoenix
    Lieutenant

by Phoenix » Sat Aug 25, 2018 9:31 pm

While my uni grad present was a top of the line GPU and SSD, my computer itself is from when I graduated high school. I'm planning to build a new PC when RAM prices have stabilised.

Survivor:
    Out for 2023
  • Jotunheimr
    Midshipman

by Jotunheimr » Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:07 pm

Phoenix wrote:While my uni grad present was a top of the line GPU and SSD, my computer itself is from when I graduated high school. I'm planning to build a new PC when RAM prices have stabilised.

Ooooh what specs and which games are you looking forward to playing?
    2015: 6511
    2016: 7455
    2020: 3240
    2025:

2024 Gigs: Tyr&Trollfest-/-Korpiklaani-/-Firewind-/-Kamelot-/-Exhumed-/-AmonAmarth

Wishlist: AdornedBrood-/-Alestorm-/-Arcturus-/-Arkona-/-Arsis-/-Artension-/-BeastInBlack-/-Blackguard-/-BlackMessiah-/-Borknagar-/-Carcass-/-CarpathianForest-/-CircleIICircle-/-Crownshift-/-Cruachan-/-Cryptosis-/-Dalriada-/-DerWegEinerFreiheit-/-DimmuBorgir-/-Einherjer-/-Eluveitie-/-Elvenking-/-Ensiferum-/-Enslaved-/-Equilibrium-/-Falconer-/-Falkenbach-/-Fejd-/-Feuerschwanz-/-Finntroll-/-Finsterforst-/-Firewind-/-FleshgodApocalypse-/-Folkearth-/-Forefather-/-Gåte-/-Glittertind-/-Gorguts-/-Haggard-/-HarakiriForTheSky-/-Heidevolk-/-Isengard-/-JonOlivasPain-/-Kampfar-/-KingOfAsgard-/-KivimetsanDruidi-/-Korpiklaani-/-Krisiun-/-LornaShore-/-Lumsk-/-Manegarm-/-Metsatoll-/-Mithotyn-/-Moonsorrow-/-Moonspell-/-Necrophagist-/-Nightwish-/-OfTheWandAndTheMoon-/-Otyg-/-Primordial-/-RiotV-/-RottingChrist-/-Sabaton-/-Savatage-/-SevenSpires-/-Skalmold-/-Skiltron-/-Skyforger-/-Sodom-/-Solstafir-/-Spellblast-/-SpiritsOfFire-/-SteelPanther-/-Svartsot-/-Swashbuckle-/-Testament-/-TheBlackDahliaMurder-/-TheHaunted-/-Thorondir-/-Thyrfing-/-ToxicHolocaust-/-Trollfest-/-Turisas-/-Tyr-/-Ulver-/-Varg-/-Verikalpa-/-Vintersorg-/-Warmen-/-Wintersun-/-Wolfchant
  • Phoenix
    Lieutenant

by Phoenix » Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:41 pm

Jotunheimr wrote:
    Phoenix wrote:While my uni grad present was a top of the line GPU and SSD, my computer itself is from when I graduated high school. I'm planning to build a new PC when RAM prices have stabilised.

Ooooh what specs and which games are you looking forward to playing?

Nothing specific yet, though I'm aiming for the low end of high grade. The only thing *current* I'm really interested in playing on PC is Ni No Kuni II, bit I do have the Witcher games in my backlog.

Survivor:
    Out for 2023
    Azazel101
    Sub-Lieutenant

by Azazel101 » Sun Aug 26, 2018 5:36 am

I have ordered, in the last 3 weeks, enough Vinyl albums, DVD's and a new DVD player and a couple books to pay for my 1/2 of a cabin but still have not renewed my passport witch I will need to board
    ThyDarkendShade-/-SickofitAll-/-ArchEneny-/-AmonAmarth-/-Atrophy-/-D.R.I.-/-SuicidalTendencies-/-SLAYERlastshow-/-AmoredSaint-/-Autopsy-/-Doyle-/-AcidBath-/-BodyCount-/-Defiance-/-Dismember-/-ViscularAssault-/-Clutch-/-Entrails-/-EntombedAD-/-Hypocrisy-/-JungleRot-/-BrokenHope-/-NuclearAssault-/-Solstafir-/-LodyKong-/-Swans-/-Izgrim-/-LawnmowerDeth-/-TheExploited-/-CrypticSlaughter-/-FEAR
    Survived2011/12/13/14/15/16/17/18/19/BTH
  • SpaceSlug
    Crewman

by SpaceSlug » Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:24 am

Wife and I started booking a "honeymoon" 4 years after the big day. Yay mexico next year. And we are starting to book a trip to Germany for our first time out of the States other than 8 hours at a country on 70K.

Still hope to find the money to book 70K but I can at least say we have been focused elsewhere after this long wait.
    cegr80
    Lieutenant

by cegr80 » Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:01 am

I got my money waiting in my savings account, just for the boat
    2017.2018.2019.2020.2023.2024.GOLD.Survivor|2025 Wishlist:1349-1914-Aephanemer-Akercoke-Alcest-Alkaloid-AnaalNathrakh-AnAbstractIllusion-Atvm-Avatar-Avslut-Be'lakor-Belzebubs-ChapelOfDisease-Chthonic-Darkthrone-DiabloSwingOrchestra-Dimmu Borgir-Dodheimsgard-Draconian-EternalTearsOfSorrow-FreakKitchen-Hamferd-IATT-LochVostok-Marduk-NocnyKochanek-Satyricon-Schammasch-Scour-Shining(Nor)-Sigh-SulphurAeon-Turisas-Ulver-Virvum-Watain-WhiteWard
  • deathmetalpat
    Ensign

by deathmetalpat » Sun Aug 26, 2018 1:26 pm

A combination of
    Within Temptation Show in October (Band that hardly ever comes to USA and probably won’t boat)
    The reopening of The National Museum
    And a ridiculously low airfare on premium economy round trip that was there for 1 day
    Resulted in a trip to Stockholm in October
    Can’t say I am totally out but line up must be spectacular now.
    2012-14 Survivor
    2015-16 Abandoned Ship
    2017 Returned
    2018 Got a bad feeling about this Abandon Ship
    2019 This is Fucking Ridiculous
    2020 Bands ,what bands boat is all that matters
    2021 Yeah this isn’t happening
    Cardest
    Midshipman

by Cardest » Sun Aug 26, 2018 5:56 pm

Yeah, I gave up waiting and decided I'll spend my cabin $ saved cash on airfare to New York, Boston, Gettysburg, DC, Philly, New Hampshire and chase some Amish and see the mighty Niagara Falls from both sides. Spending my birthday-suit day in NY and hoping to catch up with some survivors in all these places!!
    I waited....we all waited...well, they keep telling us the wait will be worth it. Nah...nice try!
    Just checking in now, I am both angry and not surprised there are tumbleweeds blowing across the website.
    So my airfare $$ has now been booked for that, but the $ for the cabin, has now gone to taking my mother to Yorkshire, UK in June, instead.

Wish list: Grand Magus, ARCTURUS, Borknagar, SIGH, Vastum, ABSU, Temple of Void, Frozen Crown, King Diamond/Mercyful Fate, Kawir, Vuur, Chthonic, Cemetery Urn, Tombs, Acid Witch, Slough Feg, Hammers of Misfortune
  • Radashar
    Oiler

by Radashar » Sun Aug 26, 2018 6:59 pm

Claiming one of the tickets for Wacken next year. Will be my first time getting to go, and figured the 30th +20th of Sabaton will be fun.

Still planning on doing my 70k #3, hopefully while convincing my brother/friends to get their first one in.

Luckily, I live in a garbage apartment for the low rent (and since I'm down the street from the port its less to go anyway) and should be fine doing both.
    2017 - 2292
    2018 - 2250
    2019 - 2562
    2020 - deck 2 somewhere!
  • Ti7aNiC
    Crewman

by Ti7aNiC » Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:16 pm

cegr80 wrote:I got my money waiting in my savings account, just for the boat

Same here. In the past I didn't save up, as I charge the full booking to my Gold AMEX anyway, which I then just pay off myself in the following whatever amount of time - but since things are delayed this year I have the money I need just chillin'. The money will remain there, untouched, until January if need be, haha. Though I certainly expect announcements within the next month.

I specifically use my Gold AMEX every year to pay it off in full for two reasons:
    1) To get that sexy maximum 15% off.
    2) To qualify for all the travel insurance and various coverage (as you need to charge at least 75% to the card to qualify), such as:
    - $1 million (out-of-country) medical insurance.
    - Trip Interruption Insurance (this includes "non-refundable" flights), $2,500.
    - Flight Delay Insurance, $500; towards transportation, accommodations, & food.
    - Car Rental Theft/Damage Insurance; for vehicles up to $65,000.
    - Lost or Stolen Baggage Insurance, $1000.
    - Hotel/Motel Burglary Insurance, $1000.
    - Travel Accident Insurance, $500,000.
    + more.

Right now return flights from Halifax to FLL are $419 CAD, but I expect to be able to get a seat sale within the next month-or-two to drop that to around $350ish. Generally on random Thursdays for Air Canada and Westjet, but also Labour Day and Thanksgiving will have something going on. Otherwise one can gamble for later seat sales and try on Boxing Day weekend.
    Survivor:
    70K 2016, 70K 2017, 70K 2018, 70K 2019, & 70K 2020
    70K 2023?

C A P E   B R E T O N
    C A N A D A

#fuckNewguyme
    Ethrivas
    Chief Petty Officer

by Ethrivas » Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:49 am

Just finished a vacation Helsinki > Tallinn > Riga > Vilnius.
    Wishlist 2025:1914-/-Ablaze.My.Sorrow-/-AEPHANEMER-/-Aeternam-/-AETHERIAN-/-AGATHODAIMON-/-ALESTORM-/-ALLEGAEON-/-AMORPHIS-/-ANAAL.NATHRAKH-/-Amon.Amarth-/-Avatar-/-Behemoth-/-BE'LAKOR-/-Belzebubs-/-BLACKBRAID-/-BRYMIR-/-CLOAK-/-Cryptosis-/-Dååth-/-Dark.Oath-/-DESTINITY-/-DIMMU.BORGIR-/-Ensiferum-/-ETERNAL.TEARS.OF.SORROW-/-Finntroll-/-Foretoken-/-Gaerea-/-GROZA-/-Hypocrisy-/-Ignea-/-IMMORTAL-/-In.Aphelion-/-Kalmah-/-Kanonenfieber-/-King.of.Asgard-/-KVAEN-/-Lucifer's.Child-/-MELECHESH-/-Mezarkabul(Pentagram)-/-MGŁA-/-MOONSHADE-/-MÖRK.GRYNING-/-NAILED.TO.OBSCURITY-/-Necrophobic-/-NETHERBIRD-/-Orbit.Culture-/-OUROBOROS-/-PERPETUAL.NIGHT-/-PSYCROPTIC-/-Rhapsody(Turilli-Lione)-/-SATYRICON-/-SHADE.EMPIRE-/-SHYLMAGOGHNAR-/-SODOMISERY-/-STORTREGN-/-Stratovarius-/-SYLOSIS-/-Testament-/-THE.COMMITTEE-/-THE.CROWN-/-THE.SEER-/-THE.SPIRIT-/-THULCANDRA-/-Tryglav-/-TRIBULATION-/-Trivium-/-Turisas-/-Ulfven-/-Unanimated-/-VREID-/-Warbringer-/-Whispered-/-Wintersun-/-WORMWITCH-/-WORMWOOD-/-Zornheym
    2018, 2019, 2020, 2024: Survivor
    2023: Skip year
    JoAnnamayhem
    Petty Officer

by JoAnnamayhem » Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:17 am

I have full payment burning a hole in my pocket though I am also currently looking for a new home. I have been looking at a few places and if the right place falls into my lap I might use my boat money towards the down payment. I am in no rush to move however I do want to upgrade, I would rather wait until next year after the cruise but at this rate I am unsure of how I should proceed.
    2018 - 9318
    2019 - 9222
    2020 - Home with my newborn!
    2023 - 7698
    Gratch
    Chief Petty Officer

by Gratch » Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:05 am

I use Delta miles for the flight and Marriott points for the hotel, so the delay doesn't really have any effect on either of those. The cruise fare is just sitting in the bank, so no rush there either.

So other than being mildly annoyed, waiting doesn't change my plans any.
    Survivor 2016/17/18/19/20

Ultimate Wishlist Bands
    Anaal Nathrakh - Behemoth - Igorrr - Khemmis - Myrkur - The Ocean - Pallbearer - Sigh - Tribulation - Sentient Horror - Turisas - Wilderun - Witherscape - Zeal & Ardor
    Pellaz
    Lieutenant

by Pellaz » Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:48 am

cowboy71 wrote:SERIOUSLY :P

Me? The daughter just got her provisional driver license ("P Plates" as we call them in Australia), so just bought her a first car with the money that would have paid for a cabin in full on 70K.

Honestly got sick of waiting.

Will still be able to get a cabin IF sales are announced this month but will no longer will be able to pay in full until after next payday.

Like a few others, my portion of our combined fare is still sitting in my savings account, where it's been patiently waiting -- and lately, IMpatiently waiting -- since I got my tax refund back in February.
    2025 Wishlist:
    1349--Abbath--Abigail.Williams--Aephanemer--Agalloch--Agathodaimon--Alien.Weaponry--Allegaeon--Amon.Amarth--Amorphis--Animals.As.Leaders--Arkona--Arsis--Atrocity--Ayreon--Bal.Sagoth--Baroness--Barren.Earth--Battlelore--Behemoth--Below.7--Belzebubs--Be'lakor--Black.Crown.Initiate--Bloodbath--Borknagar--Broken.Trinity--Cannibal.Corpse--Chthe'ilist--CoF--Countless.Skies--Cynic--Demons.&.Wizards--Dimmu.Borgir--Dark.Tranquillity--Dragonforce--Edge.of.Sanity--Witherscape--anything.Dan.Swano--Eluveitie--Eneferens--Ensiferum--Enslaved--Eternal.Tears.of.Sorrow--Evergrey--Exmortus--Ex.Deo--Fear.Factory--Fires.In.the.Distance--Gojira--Graveworm--Green.Carnation--Hypocrisy--Immortal--Insomnium--Irreversible.Mechanism--Kalmah--Kamelot--Keep.Of.Kalessin--Korpiklaani--Kreator--Leprous--Luciferan.Light.Orchestra--Loss--Melechesh--Meshuggah--Mezarkabul--Moonspell--Mors.Principium.Est--Myrath--Ne.Obliviscaris--Nile--Nokturnal.Mortem--NorthTale--Novembers.Doom--Obscura--Old.Mans.Child--Opeth--Paladin--Poisonblack--Powerwolf--Primordial--Rapheumet's.Well--Raven--Rivers.Of.Nihil--Ryujin--Sabaton--Sadistic.Ritual--Samael--Satyricon--Savatage--Scale.the.Summit--Scorched.Moon--Septic.Flesh--Serious.Black--Seven.Spires--Sigh--Skalmold--Slough.Feg--Starkill--Steorrah--SYL--Suidakra--Summoning--Tarot--Therion--Thy.Serpent--Tomarum--Tomb.Mold--Turisas--Twilight.Force--Tyr--Vale.Of.Pnath--Valhalore--Vesania--Vintersorg--Wolfchant--Yyrkoon
    2015-2020; 2023-2024: Survivor
    2025: most likely
  • Phoenix
    Lieutenant

by Phoenix » Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:53 am

I should be clear - even if I DID buy a fancy TOTL PC, I'd still have enough money to pay for my cabin AND hotel AND airfare. But if announcements finally happen and In Vain isn't part of it I may just try PAX South instead.

Survivor:
    Out for 2023
    zerkz
    Oiler

by zerkz » Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:01 pm

Phoenix wrote:I should be clear - even if I DID buy a fancy TOTL PC, I'd still have enough money to pay for my cabin AND hotel AND airfare. But if announcements finally happen and In Vain isn't part of it I may just try PAX South instead.

Do it! Plenty of stuff to do in the Austin/San Antonio area, and quite a few metal shows usually. I've lived in Austin for 3 years but have yet to go to PAX South (always went with some friends to Magfest instead in Baltimore, but its been getting crappier).
    acidbasement
    Chief Petty Officer

by acidbasement » Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:53 pm

Jotunheimr wrote:Just bought my flights to and from Germany for this beast. First time out of the country besides 70K and I couldn't be more excited! It's looking like I'll probably be on the next 70K as well due to just getting hired at a new place with a much better pay rate, though I can't pay in full - well - assuming that there will be a cruise next year.

Looks like we'll see you there! We haven't bought flights yet though.
    I'm only here to do two things: play the bagpipes and gargle sulphuric acid. Looks like we're almost out of acid.
    cegr80
    Lieutenant

by cegr80 » Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:54 pm

Phoenix wrote:I should be clear - even if I DID buy a fancy TOTL PC, I'd still have enough money to pay for my cabin AND hotel AND airfare. But if announcements finally happen and In Vain isn't part of it I may just try PAX South instead.
    I built a gaming PC a few years ago and I barely use it, LOL ... ain't nobody got time for that!
    2017.2018.2019.2020.2023.2024.GOLD.Survivor|2025 Wishlist:1349-1914-Aephanemer-Akercoke-Alcest-Alkaloid-AnaalNathrakh-AnAbstractIllusion-Atvm-Avatar-Avslut-Be'lakor-Belzebubs-ChapelOfDisease-Chthonic-Darkthrone-DiabloSwingOrchestra-Dimmu Borgir-Dodheimsgard-Draconian-EternalTearsOfSorrow-FreakKitchen-Hamferd-IATT-LochVostok-Marduk-NocnyKochanek-Satyricon-Schammasch-Scour-Shining(Nor)-Sigh-SulphurAeon-Turisas-Ulver-Virvum-Watain-WhiteWard
  • Phoenix
    Lieutenant

by Phoenix » Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:10 pm

cegr80 wrote:
    I built a gaming PC a few years ago and I barely use it, LOL ... ain't nobody got time for that!

Says you, I use my baby all the time! It's how I play all the JRPGs from before I was a gamer and play D&D with my friends in the UK :P

Survivor:
    Out for 2023
    Amalu
    Chief Petty Officer

by Amalu » Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:28 pm

My gaming PC is hard in use most every evening. I am in the lucky position that my wife is just as a gaming freak as myself.

Phoenix wrote:While my uni grad present was a top of the line GPU and SSD

Which GPU?

Phoenix wrote:I'm planning to build a new PC when RAM prices have stabilised.

So say we all. RAM prices are a just insane at the moment.
  • Phoenix
    Lieutenant

by Phoenix » Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:50 am

Amalu wrote:
    Phoenix wrote:While my uni grad present was a top of the line GPU and SSD

Which GPU?

NVIDIA Geforce GTX 780. For those keeping score at home, this is the card they released as a ~5% step down in power from the Titan, at a minimum 15% price cut, because a Titan was LITERALLY excessive.

So yeah, I figure whatever new machine I build can use that card for a few more years.

Survivor:
    Out for 2023
    ymapazagain
    Oiler

by ymapazagain » Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:52 am

If they don't get the ball rolling soon my husband and I will most likely be out. Flights for the two of us from Tasmania have already gone up $500 since I checked a month or so ago. That puts it at $1300 more than we spent on flights last year!

Unless Blind Guardian are announced early on (in which case I won't care how broke it sends me, I will be there) I think it's much more likely that our money is going to end up being put towards a bathroom reno.
    cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:23 pm

Clearly not that UMC give a fuck, but the other super shitty thing for us Australians is that the Australian Dollar has dropped markedly this year.

If booking had of opened up at a 'normal' time of the year it would have made a cabin for my family about $500 less than it would be at the moment. :evil:
    Upcoming Gigs:
    2025 Wishlist
    taketheday
    Chief Petty Officer

by taketheday » Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:24 am

The advantage is that now I have the money to pay it full, but to be able to pay the flights and the hotels, I have been very strict all over the year, by buying only one album every 2 - 3 months (have still a lot to buy), to not buy what I need to buy for age, etc... I had to change my plans for 2019 and postponed the holiday I hoped to do in Australia. I have finally decided to do another cruise (not a music one) from the UK, cheaper than the holiday in Australia. It's actually a brainstorming to plan anything :evil:

2013: 7545
    2014: 9554
    2015: 2633
    2016 and 2019: 7320
    2017/2018: 7624
    2020: 7324

https://www.facebook.com/Bands.support.and.promotion
    angelyuyo
    Petty Officer

by angelyuyo » Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:20 am

WOA 2019 and looking at force fest right now...
    2011DONE
    2012 DONE
    BARGE TO HELL DONE
    2013 DONE
    2014 DONE
    2015 DONE
    2016 BEST LINEUP EVER DONE
    2017 DONE
    2018DONE
    2019 Done
    2020 I need my booking code
  • deathmetalpat
    Ensign

Re: What did you spend your deposit/Full Fare on while waiting?

by deathmetalpat » Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:20 pm

Forum looks like it is in the middle of a makeover,looks a lot better on my iPad.
    2012-14 Survivor
    2015-16 Abandoned Ship
    2017 Returned
    2018 Got a bad feeling about this Abandon Ship
    2019 This is Fucking Ridiculous
    2020 Bands ,what bands boat is all that matters
    2021 Yeah this isn’t happening
    PotatoPotahto
    Petty Officer

by PotatoPotahto » Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:43 pm

deathmetalpat wrote: Forum looks like it is in the middle of a makeover,looks a lot better on my iPad.
    I am very caught off guard by this sudden UI change.
    Give me Behemoth and I'll be ecstatic
    cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:04 pm

PotatoPotahto wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:43 pm
    deathmetalpat wrote: Forum looks like it is in the middle of a makeover,looks a lot better on my iPad.
    I am very caught off guard by this sudden UI change.
    Upcoming Gigs:
    2025 Wishlist
  • Parallax_Attack
    Wiper

by Parallax_Attack » Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:20 pm

Phoenix wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:53 am I should be clear - even if I DID buy a fancy TOTL PC, I'd still have enough money to pay for my cabin AND hotel AND airfare. But if announcements finally happen and In Vain isn't part of it I may just try PAX South instead.
    I've been happily lurking, waiting for news like everyone else but this finally makes me feel the need to comment.

As a PAX veteran (I think I'm up to about 6? Wests, and East and a South) I have to recommend South. I'm not sure if you've done any of the other PAXes but I found South was much more relaxed than either West or East, there is a little bit less going on so it doesn't always seem like you are missing something. It's still got all the same PAX stuff, just less hectic. San Antonio is nice city and the weather was super nice compared to BC in January

I did South in 2017 when it was the weekend before the Boat. PAX, 3 days in Florida, then on the Boat. 2018 was and 2019 will be 2 weekends before so hitting both on the same trip is much less attractive...
  • Godflesh
    Ensign

by Godflesh » Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:16 am

FYI, I heard that you can still buy tickets for PAX West in a few days at cost via https://www.reddit.com/r/PaxPassExchange/
  • Phoenix
    Lieutenant

by Phoenix » Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:10 am

Parallax_Attack wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:20 pm
    I've been happily lurking, waiting for news like everyone else but this finally makes me feel the need to comment.

As a PAX veteran (I think I'm up to about 6? Wests, and East and a South) I have to recommend South. I'm not sure if you've done any of the other PAXes but I found South was much more relaxed than either West or East, there is a little bit less going on so it doesn't always seem like you are missing something. It's still got all the same PAX stuff, just less hectic. San Antonio is nice city and the weather was super nice compared to BC in January

I did South in 2017 when it was the weekend before the Boat. PAX, 3 days in Florida, then on the Boat. 2018 was and 2019 will be 2 weekends before so hitting both on the same trip is much less attractive...
    Yeah, I've heard a similar recommendation. Flights to Seattle SKYROCKET PAX weekend so I'll likely never hit West, but East not only sounds more manageable in terms of people (I can't even go to Calgary Comic Expo, it's so over crowded) but it sounds more chill in general. It's the one I'll check out if I ever get around to it.

Problem is I don't get much vacation time anymore. So I need to plan it carefully.

Survivor:
    Out for 2023
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:43 am

Need to purchase flight tickets for Disneyland next month. Of course now it looks like there might be life on the UMC front. Great timing there, Skip.
    I should get around to updating my signature
    captaingabbeh
    Chief Petty Officer

by captaingabbeh » Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:14 am

Looks like the 70K money is gonna get dropped on a birthday trip to England/maybe Germany. So I'll probably go to Damnation Fest in Leeds and get my NeO fix on, then see Powerwolf in London if all goes well. Also maybe drop in on Empathy Test playing in Germany because I like to randomly surprise people.

I did the wishlist, but I actually don't think there's a band that could get me on 70K this year, because they'd also have to NOT be doing additional tour dates. My vacation time is insanely flexible at this gig and I can stay for cheap/free in multiple US cities now. So yeah. Probably no boat for me! :)

Also-also Infest is next summer, as is M'era Luna if I can be away from Calgary long enough.

2015-2018,
    Goth Cruise 2019

Wishlist: Myrath-Skindred-Rotting Christ-Amorphis-Hypocrisy-Demons & Wizards-3TEETH-Emperor-Psyclon Nine-Ihsahn-Batushka-Anaal Nathrakh-Epica-Aeternam-Nightwish-Starkill-Primordial-Zeal & Ardor-Powerwolf
    cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Mon Sep 03, 2018 3:32 pm

Had hoped that booking would not open for another couple of weeks, until after my next payday.

As it is, cannot afford to pay all up front. Well I could, but I'd be eating bread and water for the next 10 days until I got paid again.

So instead, I'll just pay in installments.

I probably would choose that option anyway even if I could afford to pay outright, because the difference is only around $USD150, and the Australian Dollar is low at the moment. So I'm hoping that it will increase in the next couple of months.

My math:

As it stands now, a 5D cabin for 3 people, at $1166 each minus 15% discount for upfront, plus $423 each fees = $USD4,242.30
    At the current exchange rate that is $AUD5,901.099

Via installments
    $1166 each minus 10% gold survivor discount plus $423 fees = $USD4,417.20. Or, $USD1,104.30 per month for four months

Month 1 - $AUD1,531.44 at todays exchange rate around 72 cents US
    Month 2 - $AUD1,510.505 if AUD goes up 1 cent against the USD
    Month 2 - $AUD1490.12 if it goes up another cent
    Month 3 - $AUD1470.28 if it goes up yet another cent to around 75 cents US

A total of $AUD6,002.35

So only $100 different. Of course that is gambling on the currency increasing. If it heads down I'm more out of pocket but willing to take that risk.
    Upcoming Gigs:
    2025 Wishlist
    Amalu
    Chief Petty Officer

by Amalu » Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:17 am

cowboy71 wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 3:32 pm My math:

[...]

So only $100 different. Of course that is gambling on the currency increasing. If it heads down I'm more out of pocket but willing to take that risk.
    That's what I call a man with a plan. Sounds like a calculation I would do. I like it!
    Ethrivas
    Chief Petty Officer

by Ethrivas » Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:29 am

cowboy71 wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 3:32 pm My math:

As it stands now, a 5D cabin for 3 people, at $1166 each minus 15% discount for upfront, plus $423 each fees = $USD4,242.30
    At the current exchange rate that is $AUD5,901.099

Via installments
    $1166 each minus 10% gold survivor discount plus $423 fees = $USD4,417.20. Or, $USD1,104.30 per month for four months
    On the Terms and Conditions website it says:
    A) Pay In Full At the Time of Booking (5% Discount)

Question: Does gold/silver survivors get another 10% discount for upfront?
    Wishlist 2025:1914-/-Ablaze.My.Sorrow-/-AEPHANEMER-/-Aeternam-/-AETHERIAN-/-AGATHODAIMON-/-ALESTORM-/-ALLEGAEON-/-AMORPHIS-/-ANAAL.NATHRAKH-/-Amon.Amarth-/-Avatar-/-Behemoth-/-BE'LAKOR-/-Belzebubs-/-BLACKBRAID-/-BRYMIR-/-CLOAK-/-Cryptosis-/-Dååth-/-Dark.Oath-/-DESTINITY-/-DIMMU.BORGIR-/-Ensiferum-/-ETERNAL.TEARS.OF.SORROW-/-Finntroll-/-Foretoken-/-Gaerea-/-GROZA-/-Hypocrisy-/-Ignea-/-IMMORTAL-/-In.Aphelion-/-Kalmah-/-Kanonenfieber-/-King.of.Asgard-/-KVAEN-/-Lucifer's.Child-/-MELECHESH-/-Mezarkabul(Pentagram)-/-MGŁA-/-MOONSHADE-/-MÖRK.GRYNING-/-NAILED.TO.OBSCURITY-/-Necrophobic-/-NETHERBIRD-/-Orbit.Culture-/-OUROBOROS-/-PERPETUAL.NIGHT-/-PSYCROPTIC-/-Rhapsody(Turilli-Lione)-/-SATYRICON-/-SHADE.EMPIRE-/-SHYLMAGOGHNAR-/-SODOMISERY-/-STORTREGN-/-Stratovarius-/-SYLOSIS-/-Testament-/-THE.COMMITTEE-/-THE.CROWN-/-THE.SEER-/-THE.SPIRIT-/-THULCANDRA-/-Tryglav-/-TRIBULATION-/-Trivium-/-Turisas-/-Ulfven-/-Unanimated-/-VREID-/-Warbringer-/-Whispered-/-Wintersun-/-WORMWITCH-/-WORMWOOD-/-Zornheym
    2018, 2019, 2020, 2024: Survivor
    2023: Skip year
    mbob
    Chief Petty Officer

by mbob » Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:52 am

Ethrivas wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:29 am Question: Does gold/silver survivors get another 10% discount for upfront?
    5% discount for paying in full
    Gold Survivors get an additional 10% discount if they book before public sales.
    Silver Survivors get an additional 5% discount if they book before public sales.
    2015 - Survivor...Finally! (8320)
    2016 - Survivor (2292)
    2017 - Survivor (9618)
    2018 - Survivor (9678)
    2019 - Survivor (9272)
    2020 - Retired
    2021 - COVID
    2022 - COVID

2023 - Retired
    2024 - Retired

2025 - Maybe time to come out of 70K retirement!
Post Reply 44 posts