Post Reply 43 posts
T-Shirt Queue of Endless Doom
    Ethrivas
    Chief Petty Officer

T-Shirt Queue of Endless Doom

by Ethrivas » Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:51 am

Last year was my first time on 70k tons of Metal and one thing i really found absurd was the t-shirt case.
    There was a queue-matic, there was a TV channel displaying the number, etc.

As we all know, time is really precious onbroad. Why in hell do i have to follow this and work my ass off to grab a souvenir?
    Instead;
    We can choose t-shirt, sweatshirt, tanga, hoodie (whatever with size we want) while buying our cabin and it can be added to our fee. Then while broading, we can get those along with our passcards.

I am talking about the current year's official merc. Maybe one piece per person. If people wanna buy bands merc or additional pieces or past years' merc, then they may choose to rot in the queue of endless doom :)

At least we can save the time of those who are after the souvenir. (i rest my wristband case btw ;) )

Hope Andy finds this convenient...
    Wishlist 2025:1914-/-Ablaze.My.Sorrow-/-AEPHANEMER-/-Aeternam-/-AETHERIAN-/-AGATHODAIMON-/-ALESTORM-/-ALLEGAEON-/-AMORPHIS-/-ANAAL.NATHRAKH-/-Amon.Amarth-/-Avatar-/-Behemoth-/-BE'LAKOR-/-Belzebubs-/-BLACKBRAID-/-BRYMIR-/-CLOAK-/-Cryptosis-/-Dååth-/-Dark.Oath-/-DESTINITY-/-DIMMU.BORGIR-/-Ensiferum-/-ETERNAL.TEARS.OF.SORROW-/-Finntroll-/-Foretoken-/-Gaerea-/-GROZA-/-Hypocrisy-/-Ignea-/-IMMORTAL-/-In.Aphelion-/-Kalmah-/-Kanonenfieber-/-King.of.Asgard-/-KVAEN-/-Lucifer's.Child-/-MELECHESH-/-Mezarkabul(Pentagram)-/-MGŁA-/-MOONSHADE-/-MÖRK.GRYNING-/-NAILED.TO.OBSCURITY-/-Necrophobic-/-NETHERBIRD-/-Orbit.Culture-/-OUROBOROS-/-PERPETUAL.NIGHT-/-PSYCROPTIC-/-Rhapsody(Turilli-Lione)-/-SATYRICON-/-SHADE.EMPIRE-/-SHYLMAGOGHNAR-/-SODOMISERY-/-STORTREGN-/-Stratovarius-/-SYLOSIS-/-Testament-/-THE.COMMITTEE-/-THE.CROWN-/-THE.SEER-/-THE.SPIRIT-/-THULCANDRA-/-Tryglav-/-TRIBULATION-/-Trivium-/-Turisas-/-Ulfven-/-Unanimated-/-VREID-/-Warbringer-/-Whispered-/-Wintersun-/-WORMWITCH-/-WORMWOOD-/-Zornheym
    2018, 2019, 2020, 2024: Survivor
    2023: Skip year
    mbob
    Chief Petty Officer

Re: T-Shirt Queue of Endless Doom

by mbob » Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:21 am

Ethrivas wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:51 am Last year was my first time on 70k tons of Metal and one thing i really found absurd was the t-shirt case.
    There was a queue-matic, there was a TV channel displaying the number, etc.

As we all know, time is really precious onbroad. Why in hell do i have to follow this and work my ass off to grab a souvenir?
    Instead;
    We can choose t-shirt, sweatshirt, tanga, hoodie (whatever with size we want) while buying our cabin and it can be added to our fee. Then while broading, we can get those along with our passcards.

I am talking about the current year's official merc. Maybe one piece per person. If people wanna buy bands merc or additional pieces or past years' merc, then they may choose to rot in the queue of endless doom :)

At least we can save the time of those who are after the souvenir. (i rest my wristband case btw ;) )

Hope Andy finds this convenient...

This unfortunately will never happen. There is most likely an agreement with Royal Caribbean where all merchandise is required to be sold on board so they can get a cut. I asked them after this year's cruise if they had any extra survivor shirts which I was unable to get during the cruise and they said they could not sell me one and I would have to wait for the 2019 cruise to buy one on board if available.

For those who have been on other music cruises...how do they handle this?
    2015 - Survivor...Finally! (8320)
    2016 - Survivor (2292)
    2017 - Survivor (9618)
    2018 - Survivor (9678)
    2019 - Survivor (9272)
    2020 - Retired
    2021 - COVID
    2022 - COVID

2023 - Retired
    2024 - Retired

2025 - Maybe time to come out of 70K retirement!
  • Phoenix
    Lieutenant

by Phoenix » Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:42 am

All merch complaints can be directed to the appropriate Facebook group - I think it's called 70,000 Tons of Merch Complaints?

I wish we could do that, and it's a system that's been suggested yearly. But there's some sort of deal with RC keeping them from doing it, else they would have already. All we can do is tell them last year was a disaster (and it was), and hopefully they listen.

Survivor:
    Out for 2023
    Pellaz
    Lieutenant

by Pellaz » Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:18 pm

Phoenix wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:42 am All merch complaints can be directed to the appropriate Facebook group - I think it's called 70,000 Tons of Merch Complaints?

I wish we could do that, and it's a system that's been suggested yearly. But there's some sort of deal with RC keeping them from doing it, else they would have already. All we can do is tell them last year was a disaster (and it was), and hopefully they listen.
    Yes indeed, the venue (in this case RC) gets a percentage. This is fairly standard practice at most concert venues, and is also the reason why bands aren't supposed to sell merch on the boat "under the table" out of their staterooms...although that rule has been sidestepped a few times over the years :twisted: .

Remember that most current-year 70K merch is also available at the kiosk in the Promenade and, it's been alleged, at another kiosk on the pool deck, but I have yet to lay eyes on that one. Rumors of its existence persist, however.

One thing that we've concluded on the "Merch Complaints" FB group is that there are no easy answers. 60 bands, potentially 120 separate items of band merch (each band can bring two items, although not every band does), and all sales must be processed through Royal's POS system.
    I give them credit for spending some Actual Money and adopting the numbered ticket system. It helped, some, but there are still some problems with it.
    2025 Wishlist:
    1349--Abbath--Abigail.Williams--Aephanemer--Agalloch--Agathodaimon--Alien.Weaponry--Allegaeon--Amon.Amarth--Amorphis--Animals.As.Leaders--Arkona--Arsis--Atrocity--Ayreon--Bal.Sagoth--Baroness--Barren.Earth--Battlelore--Behemoth--Below.7--Belzebubs--Be'lakor--Black.Crown.Initiate--Bloodbath--Borknagar--Broken.Trinity--Cannibal.Corpse--Chthe'ilist--CoF--Countless.Skies--Cynic--Demons.&.Wizards--Dimmu.Borgir--Dark.Tranquillity--Dragonforce--Edge.of.Sanity--Witherscape--anything.Dan.Swano--Eluveitie--Eneferens--Ensiferum--Enslaved--Eternal.Tears.of.Sorrow--Evergrey--Exmortus--Ex.Deo--Fear.Factory--Fires.In.the.Distance--Gojira--Graveworm--Green.Carnation--Hypocrisy--Immortal--Insomnium--Irreversible.Mechanism--Kalmah--Kamelot--Keep.Of.Kalessin--Korpiklaani--Kreator--Leprous--Luciferan.Light.Orchestra--Loss--Melechesh--Meshuggah--Mezarkabul--Moonspell--Mors.Principium.Est--Myrath--Ne.Obliviscaris--Nile--Nokturnal.Mortem--NorthTale--Novembers.Doom--Obscura--Old.Mans.Child--Opeth--Paladin--Poisonblack--Powerwolf--Primordial--Rapheumet's.Well--Raven--Rivers.Of.Nihil--Ryujin--Sabaton--Sadistic.Ritual--Samael--Satyricon--Savatage--Scale.the.Summit--Scorched.Moon--Septic.Flesh--Serious.Black--Seven.Spires--Sigh--Skalmold--Slough.Feg--Starkill--Steorrah--SYL--Suidakra--Summoning--Tarot--Therion--Thy.Serpent--Tomarum--Tomb.Mold--Turisas--Twilight.Force--Tyr--Vale.Of.Pnath--Valhalore--Vesania--Vintersorg--Wolfchant--Yyrkoon
    2015-2020; 2023-2024: Survivor
    2025: most likely
    slayergeek
    Midshipman

by slayergeek » Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:33 pm

Pellaz wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:18 pm
    Phoenix wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:42 am All merch complaints can be directed to the appropriate Facebook group - I think it's called 70,000 Tons of Merch Complaints?

Yes indeed, the venue (in this case RC) gets a percentage. This is fairly standard practice at most concert venues, and is also the reason why bands aren't supposed to sell merch on the boat "under the table" out of their staterooms...although that rule has been sidestepped a few times over the years :twisted: .

Remember that most current-year 70K merch is also available at the kiosk in the Promenade and, it's been alleged, at another kiosk on the pool deck, but I have yet to lay eyes on that one. Rumors of its existence persist, however.

One thing that we've concluded on the "Merch Complaints" FB group is that there are no easy answers. 60 bands, potentially 120 separate items of band merch (each band can bring two items, although not every band does), and all sales must be processed through Royal's POS system.
    I give them credit for spending some Actual Money and adopting the numbered ticket system. It helped, some, but there are still some problems with it.
    There is a trick to getting merch semi painlessly, though it does involve lack of sleep.

Get in the line between 5 and 6am. Hang out and chat with your fellow cruisers. Get your low number around 8am, get some breakfast, come back about 9am get your merch, be there to see the first show at 10am. It has worked for me every year (give or take the opening act, especially before the number system)

Would it be great if they had a better system, absolutely. Would I rather sleep in, of course. That being said, if you want merch, want merch in your size and before it sells out, and don't want to miss bands...this is what you do.
    Survivor
    • 2014,2015,2016,2017,2018,2019,2020,2023,2024,See_you_in_2025

Absolute_Darkness-Death/Thrash_Band_I_am_the_Singer/Guitarist_for
    • FacebookPage-https://www.facebook.com/BandAbsoluteDarkness

Thud_Bukit-Death/Comedy_Band_I_am_the_Singer/Guitarist/Drummer/Bassist_for
    • FacebookPage-https://www.facebook.com/Thud-Bukit-100960638505481

70k Bands - Unofficial iPhone/Android_app_of_the_70,000_tons_cruise
    WishList
    • Old_Man's_Child-/-Battle_Cross-/-Impaled-/-Dismember-/-Amon_Amarth-/-Dethklok-/-Gruesome-/-Rotten_Sound-/-As_Blood_Runs_Black-/-Through_The_Eyes_Of_The_Dead-/-Testament-/
  • Phoenix
    Lieutenant

by Phoenix » Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:36 pm

After my first year, where I waited in line for a hilarious amount of time, I decided it wasn't worth it for any of the exclusive shirts (though I'm sad I missed DT's very pretty one this year). Now I just grab one of the girly tanktops when the Promenade line dies down, and call it a cruise.

Survivor:
    Out for 2023
  • Bob
    Petty Officer

by Bob » Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:52 pm

Phoenix wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:36 pm After my first year, where I waited in line for a hilarious amount of time, I decided it wasn't worth it for any of the exclusive shirts (though I'm sad I missed DT's very pretty one this year). Now I just grab one of the girly tanktops when the Promenade line dies down, and call it a cruise.
    Same experience here also. I vowed NEVER to stand in that line again after I did it my first time. No t-shirt is that precious to me to waste time like that again. I do like to acquire a 70K shirt that is in my size. This is a fine balance of waiting until the line dies down on the Promenade deck, but before they run out of my size. And they do run out.

One thing I do think is odd, why do peops wear their 70K shirt, they just bought, while still onboard? I don't get it. LOL
    Wishlist 2024: Ranked in order of:
    1. Line up on the center rail for both sets if announced.

Konvent
    2. Never seen them live.
    Anaal_Nathrakh-/-Burning_Witches-/-Combichrist-/-Dee_Snider-/-Gojira-/-Grai-/-Hanzel_und_Gretyl-/-IGNEA-/-Inquisition-/-Jinjer-/-Lovebites-/-King_Diamond-/-Mgla-/-Opeth-/-Rob_Zombie-/-Spiritbox-/-Temple_of_Evil-/-The_Hu-/-Vader-/-Visigoth-/-Wagakki_Band
    3. Seen them before and would love to see them on das boat.
    Avatar-/-Babymetal-/-Behemoth-/-Corrosion_of_Conformity-/-Fleshgod_Apocalypse-/-Lacuna_Coil-/-Lamb_of_God-/-Meshuggah-/-Metsatöll-/-Myrkur-/-Sabaton-/-Sepultura-/-Suicidal_Tendencies-/-Therion-/-The_Iron_Maidens-/-Wolves_in_the_Throne_Room
    70K Survivor - 2015, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 23
    cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:44 pm

Bob wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:52 pm
    One thing I do think is odd, why do peops wear their 70K shirt, they just bought, while still onboard? I don't get it. LOL
    Because they are pretty? :P
    Upcoming Gigs:
    -/-Halestorm?-/-Fleshgod-Apocalypse-/-Scar-Symmetry-/-Wind-Rose-/-Unleash-The-Archers
    2025 Wishlist
    Ad-Infinitum-/-Aephanemer-/-All-For-Metal-/-Alterium-/-Ancient-Bards-/-Atlas-Pain-/-Avantasia-/-Battlelore-/Beast-In-Black-/-Believer-/-Beyond-The-Black-/-Brothers-of-Metal-/-Catalyst-Crime-/-Civil-War-/-Circus-Maximus-/-Claymorean-/-Cobra-Spell-/-Dark-Moor-/-Dark-Sarah-/-Dartagnan-/-Diabulus-In-Musica-/-Edguy-/-Ex-Libris-/-Exit-Eden-/-Fellowship-/-Follow-The-Cipher-/-Frozen-Crown-/-Galderia-/-Hammer-King-/-Heavatar-/-Ignea-/-Imperial-Age-/-In-This-Moment-/-Jaldaboath-/-Kaledon-/-Labyrinth-/-Living-Sacrifice-/-Metalite-/-Moonlight-Haze-/-Neopera-/-Nestor-/-Nocturna-/-Orden-Ogan-/-Pathfinder-/-Phantom-Elite-/-Poisonblack-/-Power-Paladin-/-Powerwolf-/-The-Privateer-/-Rexoria-/-Running-Wild-/-She-Wolf-/-Silver-Bullet-/-Sleeping-Romance-/-Sojourner-/-Tarot-/-Ten-/-Thaurorod-/-The-Big-Deal-/-The-Dark-Element-/-Trick-or-Treat-/-Trillium-/-Unisonic-/-Valhalore-/-Vanishing-Point-/-Volturian-/-Walk-In-Darkness-/-Within-Temptation
    Ethrivas
    Chief Petty Officer

by Ethrivas » Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:02 pm

Holy shit! There is indeed such a FB group. -,-
    Kill me.
    Wishlist 2025:1914-/-Ablaze.My.Sorrow-/-AEPHANEMER-/-Aeternam-/-AETHERIAN-/-AGATHODAIMON-/-ALESTORM-/-ALLEGAEON-/-AMORPHIS-/-ANAAL.NATHRAKH-/-Amon.Amarth-/-Avatar-/-Behemoth-/-BE'LAKOR-/-Belzebubs-/-BLACKBRAID-/-BRYMIR-/-CLOAK-/-Cryptosis-/-Dååth-/-Dark.Oath-/-DESTINITY-/-DIMMU.BORGIR-/-Ensiferum-/-ETERNAL.TEARS.OF.SORROW-/-Finntroll-/-Foretoken-/-Gaerea-/-GROZA-/-Hypocrisy-/-Ignea-/-IMMORTAL-/-In.Aphelion-/-Kalmah-/-Kanonenfieber-/-King.of.Asgard-/-KVAEN-/-Lucifer's.Child-/-MELECHESH-/-Mezarkabul(Pentagram)-/-MGŁA-/-MOONSHADE-/-MÖRK.GRYNING-/-NAILED.TO.OBSCURITY-/-Necrophobic-/-NETHERBIRD-/-Orbit.Culture-/-OUROBOROS-/-PERPETUAL.NIGHT-/-PSYCROPTIC-/-Rhapsody(Turilli-Lione)-/-SATYRICON-/-SHADE.EMPIRE-/-SHYLMAGOGHNAR-/-SODOMISERY-/-STORTREGN-/-Stratovarius-/-SYLOSIS-/-Testament-/-THE.COMMITTEE-/-THE.CROWN-/-THE.SEER-/-THE.SPIRIT-/-THULCANDRA-/-Tryglav-/-TRIBULATION-/-Trivium-/-Turisas-/-Ulfven-/-Unanimated-/-VREID-/-Warbringer-/-Whispered-/-Wintersun-/-WORMWITCH-/-WORMWOOD-/-Zornheym
    2018, 2019, 2020, 2024: Survivor
    2023: Skip year
    cegr80
    Lieutenant

by cegr80 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:29 pm

As much as I like cool metal shirts, I don't think I'll have time to make lines for band merchandise.

I always get my 70K shirt, tho. I normally wait until the line dies at the promenade.
    2017.2018.2019.2020.2023.2024.GOLD.Survivor|2025 Wishlist:1349-1914-Aephanemer-Akercoke-Alcest-Alkaloid-AnaalNathrakh-AnAbstractIllusion-Atvm-Avatar-Avslut-Be'lakor-Belzebubs-ChapelOfDisease-Chthonic-Darkthrone-DiabloSwingOrchestra-Dimmu Borgir-Dodheimsgard-Draconian-EternalTearsOfSorrow-FreakKitchen-Hamferd-IATT-LochVostok-Marduk-NocnyKochanek-Satyricon-Schammasch-Scour-Shining(Nor)-Sigh-SulphurAeon-Turisas-Ulver-Virvum-Watain-WhiteWard
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:04 pm

Pellaz wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:18 pm Remember that most current-year 70K merch is also available at the kiosk in the Promenade and, it's been alleged, at another kiosk on the pool deck, but I have yet to lay eyes on that one. Rumors of its existence persist, however.
    Got my 70K shirt on the pool deck last cruise. :mrgreen:
    I should get around to updating my signature
    Voivodeh!
    Oiler

by Voivodeh! » Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:26 pm

so the year i last went in 2015, i waited in line forever to get a ton of merch, and never got charged! nothing ever did come off my Credit card so I got it all for free ( i still supported the bands on there web sites) anyway sounds like the system they have is still flawed.
    2015 - 7616
    2019 - 9694
    Pellaz
    Lieutenant

by Pellaz » Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:37 pm

mooyagi wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:04 pm
    Pellaz wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:18 pm Remember that most current-year 70K merch is also available at the kiosk in the Promenade and, it's been alleged, at another kiosk on the pool deck, but I have yet to lay eyes on that one. Rumors of its existence persist, however.
    Video proof or it didn't happen. :lol:

Seriously, about the "70K Tons of Merch Complaints" Facebook group, it has seen a lot of great discussion as to why some well-intended solutions to the problem just aren't possible, with input from 70K's "Merch Maven" in charge of the merch (whose name I forget right now).
    She also posts advance info as to which bands are bringing merch and what kind. Highly recommended if you have an interest in band merch and the tricky logistics of having so many bands represented onbroad.
    2025 Wishlist:
    1349--Abbath--Abigail.Williams--Aephanemer--Agalloch--Agathodaimon--Alien.Weaponry--Allegaeon--Amon.Amarth--Amorphis--Animals.As.Leaders--Arkona--Arsis--Atrocity--Ayreon--Bal.Sagoth--Baroness--Barren.Earth--Battlelore--Behemoth--Below.7--Belzebubs--Be'lakor--Black.Crown.Initiate--Bloodbath--Borknagar--Broken.Trinity--Cannibal.Corpse--Chthe'ilist--CoF--Countless.Skies--Cynic--Demons.&.Wizards--Dimmu.Borgir--Dark.Tranquillity--Dragonforce--Edge.of.Sanity--Witherscape--anything.Dan.Swano--Eluveitie--Eneferens--Ensiferum--Enslaved--Eternal.Tears.of.Sorrow--Evergrey--Exmortus--Ex.Deo--Fear.Factory--Fires.In.the.Distance--Gojira--Graveworm--Green.Carnation--Hypocrisy--Immortal--Insomnium--Irreversible.Mechanism--Kalmah--Kamelot--Keep.Of.Kalessin--Korpiklaani--Kreator--Leprous--Luciferan.Light.Orchestra--Loss--Melechesh--Meshuggah--Mezarkabul--Moonspell--Mors.Principium.Est--Myrath--Ne.Obliviscaris--Nile--Nokturnal.Mortem--NorthTale--Novembers.Doom--Obscura--Old.Mans.Child--Opeth--Paladin--Poisonblack--Powerwolf--Primordial--Rapheumet's.Well--Raven--Rivers.Of.Nihil--Ryujin--Sabaton--Sadistic.Ritual--Samael--Satyricon--Savatage--Scale.the.Summit--Scorched.Moon--Septic.Flesh--Serious.Black--Seven.Spires--Sigh--Skalmold--Slough.Feg--Starkill--Steorrah--SYL--Suidakra--Summoning--Tarot--Therion--Thy.Serpent--Tomarum--Tomb.Mold--Turisas--Twilight.Force--Tyr--Vale.Of.Pnath--Valhalore--Vesania--Vintersorg--Wolfchant--Yyrkoon
    cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:53 pm

Pellaz wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:37 pm
    Seriously, about the "70K Tons of Merch Complaints" Facebook group, it has seen a lot of great discussion as to why some well-intended solutions to the problem just aren't possible, with input from 70K's "Merch Maven" in charge of the merch (whose name I forget right now).
    She also posts advance info as to which bands are bringing merch and what kind. Highly recommended if you have an interest in band merch and the tricky logistics of having so many bands represented onbroad.
    You are referring to Robin. Robin is amazing :)
    Upcoming Gigs:
    -/-Halestorm?-/-Fleshgod-Apocalypse-/-Scar-Symmetry-/-Wind-Rose-/-Unleash-The-Archers
    2025 Wishlist
    Ad-Infinitum-/-Aephanemer-/-All-For-Metal-/-Alterium-/-Ancient-Bards-/-Atlas-Pain-/-Avantasia-/-Battlelore-/Beast-In-Black-/-Believer-/-Beyond-The-Black-/-Brothers-of-Metal-/-Catalyst-Crime-/-Civil-War-/-Circus-Maximus-/-Claymorean-/-Cobra-Spell-/-Dark-Moor-/-Dark-Sarah-/-Dartagnan-/-Diabulus-In-Musica-/-Edguy-/-Ex-Libris-/-Exit-Eden-/-Fellowship-/-Follow-The-Cipher-/-Frozen-Crown-/-Galderia-/-Hammer-King-/-Heavatar-/-Ignea-/-Imperial-Age-/-In-This-Moment-/-Jaldaboath-/-Kaledon-/-Labyrinth-/-Living-Sacrifice-/-Metalite-/-Moonlight-Haze-/-Neopera-/-Nestor-/-Nocturna-/-Orden-Ogan-/-Pathfinder-/-Phantom-Elite-/-Poisonblack-/-Power-Paladin-/-Powerwolf-/-The-Privateer-/-Rexoria-/-Running-Wild-/-She-Wolf-/-Silver-Bullet-/-Sleeping-Romance-/-Sojourner-/-Tarot-/-Ten-/-Thaurorod-/-The-Big-Deal-/-The-Dark-Element-/-Trick-or-Treat-/-Trillium-/-Unisonic-/-Valhalore-/-Vanishing-Point-/-Volturian-/-Walk-In-Darkness-/-Within-Temptation
  • Bob
    Petty Officer

by Bob » Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:06 am

Pellaz wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:18 pm ... it's been alleged, at another kiosk on the pool deck, but I have yet to lay eyes on that one. Rumors of its existence persist, however.
    Exactly! Went on a hunt once for the supposed pool deck 70K T-shirt kiosk at advertised time/place, it didn't exist. I did find the mythical self-serve ice-cream machine tho, haha!
    Wishlist 2024: Ranked in order of:
    1. Line up on the center rail for both sets if announced.

Konvent
    2. Never seen them live.
    Anaal_Nathrakh-/-Burning_Witches-/-Combichrist-/-Dee_Snider-/-Gojira-/-Grai-/-Hanzel_und_Gretyl-/-IGNEA-/-Inquisition-/-Jinjer-/-Lovebites-/-King_Diamond-/-Mgla-/-Opeth-/-Rob_Zombie-/-Spiritbox-/-Temple_of_Evil-/-The_Hu-/-Vader-/-Visigoth-/-Wagakki_Band
    3. Seen them before and would love to see them on das boat.
    Avatar-/-Babymetal-/-Behemoth-/-Corrosion_of_Conformity-/-Fleshgod_Apocalypse-/-Lacuna_Coil-/-Lamb_of_God-/-Meshuggah-/-Metsatöll-/-Myrkur-/-Sabaton-/-Sepultura-/-Suicidal_Tendencies-/-Therion-/-The_Iron_Maidens-/-Wolves_in_the_Throne_Room
    70K Survivor - 2015, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 23
    mbob
    Chief Petty Officer

by mbob » Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:11 am

Bob wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:06 amI did find the mythical self-serve ice-cream machine tho, haha!
    That is strategically placed where the bands get off stage. I can't tell you how many band members I saw there after their sets eating ice cream cones as I was heading to the aft elevators! So metal!
    2015 - Survivor...Finally! (8320)
    2016 - Survivor (2292)
    2017 - Survivor (9618)
    2018 - Survivor (9678)
    2019 - Survivor (9272)
    2020 - Retired
    2021 - COVID
    2022 - COVID

2023 - Retired
    2024 - Retired

2025 - Maybe time to come out of 70K retirement!
    Yippee38
    Petty Officer

by Yippee38 » Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:09 am

I'd be happy if they just limited purchases to 2 per person.
    doomguy
    Sub-Lieutenant

by doomguy » Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:45 pm

Bob wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:06 am

Exactly! Went on a hunt once for the supposed pool deck 70K T-shirt kiosk at advertised time/place, it didn't exist. I did find the mythical self-serve ice-cream machine tho, haha!
    It definitely exists, at least in 2015, because I got mine from there too. Don't know if it's open permanently or just at certain times though. I was just around the main merch area contemplating if I should join the ridiculously long queue and a guy suggested if all I want is 70k merch I should go to the pool deck because it's a much smaller queue, and it wasn't difficult to find.
    2012: 2093
    2015: 8671
    2016: 7515

2019 Wishlist:
    AHAB-Alcest-AbigailWilliams-AlienWeaponry-Borknagar-Candlemass-ClaudioSimonetti'sGoblin-Damnation'sDay-DavidMaximMicic-DiabloSwingOrchestra-MournfulCongregation-Om-ProphetsOfRage-Sevendust-Silvertomb-SleepTerror-SunnO)))-TheContortionist-VanCanto
    Pellaz
    Lieutenant

by Pellaz » Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:46 am

mbob wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:11 am
    Bob wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:06 amI did find the mythical self-serve ice-cream machine tho, haha!
    That is strategically placed where the bands get off stage. I can't tell you how many band members I saw there after their sets eating ice cream cones as I was heading to the aft elevators! So metal!
    I'd swear the soft-serve machine wasn't there for us the first year we were on a larger ship (Liberty) and maybe the following year on the Indy. Hours seem to be limited, too. (On Carnival they have soft-serve ice cream and frozen yogurt, and they're up 24 hours, damnit. :lol: )
    Last February, Royal was still using "enhanced sanitation procedures" (crewperson had to serve you at the machine) because the ship had a noro virus outbreak two sailings before ours.
    2025 Wishlist:
    ollyhills
    Crewman

by ollyhills » Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:27 am

slayergeek wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:33 pm

There is a trick to getting merch semi painlessly, though it does involve lack of sleep.

Get in the line between 5 and 6am. Hang out and chat with your fellow cruisers. Get your low number around 8am, get some breakfast, come back about 9am get your merch, be there to see the first show at 10am. It has worked for me every year (give or take the opening act, especially before the number system)

Would it be great if they had a better system, absolutely. Would I rather sleep in, of course. That being said, if you want merch, want merch in your size and before it sells out, and don't want to miss bands...this is what you do.

Are there many people waiting around at that time?
    slayergeek
    Midshipman

by slayergeek » Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:03 am

ollyhills wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:27 am

Yes, and the later in the morning it get's the more there are. Some people starting sleep where the line will be starting at 2 or 3am.
    Survivor

WishList
    • Old_Man's_Child-/-Battle_Cross-/-Impaled-/-Dismember-/-Amon_Amarth-/-Dethklok-/-Gruesome-/-Rotten_Sound-/-As_Blood_Runs_Black-/-Through_The_Eyes_Of_The_Dead-/-Testament-/
    ollyhills
    Crewman

by ollyhills » Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:31 am

slayergeek wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:03 am

Yes, and the later in the morning it get's the more there are. Some people starting sleep where the line will be starting at 2 or 3am.

What we talking like, twenty? A hundred?
    slayergeek
    Midshipman

by slayergeek » Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:11 am

ollyhills wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:31 am

I would say at 3am maybe a dozen. I would say by 6am there might be 100, by 10am I would say 300+ in line. Those are swag's (Super Wild Ass Guess's), so somebody call BS if you disagree with these numbers.
    Survivor

WishList
    cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:12 pm

slayergeek wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:11 am

I would say at 3am maybe a dozen. I would say by 6am there might be 100, by 10am I would say 300+ in line. Those are swag's (Super Wild Ass Guess's), so somebody call BS if you disagree with these numbers.
    Probably more than that I reckon. I cannot remember how early I got there in 2018 but it was EARLY . And I reckon there were already at least two dozen there.

Hated how disorganised it was, and how easy it was for people to cut the queue.

Really hope there are some improvements this year.
    Upcoming Gigs:
    2025 Wishlist
    ollyhills
    Crewman

by ollyhills » Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:24 am

cowboy71 wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:12 pm

Probably more than that I reckon. I cannot remember how early I got there in 2018 but it was EARLY . And I reckon there were already at least two dozen there.

What time do they even open up?
    slayergeek
    Midshipman

by slayergeek » Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:05 am

ollyhills wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:24 am

I believe it is 8am. My goal is always to have my shirts before the first band goes on at 10am
    Survivor

WishList
    ollyhills
    Crewman

by ollyhills » Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:05 am

slayergeek wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:05 am
    ollyhills wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:24 am

I believe it is 8am. My goal is always to have my shirts before the first band goes on at 10am

Yea.... 6am it is then! It can’t be all bad... Grab some beers, it’ll be no different than being in a bar for two hours 🤷‍♀️
    ollyhills
    Crewman

by ollyhills » Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:27 am

What time do numbers usually start getting handed out?
  • Phoenix
    Lieutenant

by Phoenix » Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:11 am

ollyhills wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:27 am What time do numbers usually start getting handed out?
    When it opens. At 8am.

Survivor:
    Out for 2023
    JoAnnamayhem
    Petty Officer

by JoAnnamayhem » Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:34 am

After I saw the Kalmah tote being offered my mind quickly changed regarding standing on line for a ticket!
    2018 - 9318
    2019 - 9222
    2020 - Home with my newborn!
    2023 - 7698
  • dcmetal02
    Oiler

by dcmetal02 » Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:03 am

JoAnnamayhem wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:34 am After I saw the Kalmah tote being offered my mind quickly changed regarding standing on line for a ticket!
    This will be my first cruise so I obviously haven't experienced the merch queue but just from a numbers perspective, I can't understand why the lines would be so long. At a typical show that is 3-4 hours long, there's 400-500 people and there is never really any merch lines. The cruise has 3000 people and spans multiple days. Logically, how can there always be a line?

Sorry for the newbie question just trying to understand.
    JoAnnamayhem
    Petty Officer

by JoAnnamayhem » Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:08 am

dcmetal02 wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:03 am
    JoAnnamayhem wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:34 am After I saw the Kalmah tote being offered my mind quickly changed regarding standing on line for a ticket!
    This will be my first cruise so I obviously haven't experienced the merch queue but just from a numbers perspective, I can't understand why the lines would be so long. At a typical show that is 3-4 hours long, there's 400-500 people and there is never really any merch lines. The cruise has 3000 people and spans multiple days. Logically, how can there always be a line?

The issue is, with the band specific merch each band only brings a very limited amount of merch. You need to stand online to obtain a ticket with a number, when your number is called that's when you are able to go visit the merch area. People start lining up hours before the tickets are available to ensure they receive a low number so they have access to the merch before allot of it is sold out. So there isn't always a line, but if you get to the ticket line late in the morning, you will be waiting longer for a higher number.

There are other merch areas set up around the boat for only 70k items and these lines are much shorter.
    2018 - 9318
    2019 - 9222
    2020 - Home with my newborn!
    2023 - 7698
  • dcmetal02
    Oiler

by dcmetal02 » Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:27 am

JoAnnamayhem wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:08 am
    The issue is, with the band specific merch each band only brings a very limited amount of merch. You need to stand online to obtain a ticket with a number, when your number is called that's when you are able to go visit the merch area. People start lining up hours before the tickets are available to ensure they receive a low number so they have access to the merch before allot of it is sold out. So there isn't always a line, but if you get to the ticket line late in the morning, you will be waiting longer for a higher number.

There are other merch areas set up around the boat for only 70k items and these lines are much shorter.
    Thanks for the clarification. Makes sense.
    cegr80
    Lieutenant

by cegr80 » Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:29 am

I cannot spend hours on a line for merch. I prefer to actually attend some shows. Same thing goes with the fine dining. I mean there are so many bands I'm sure will be playing while you wait for all this stuff to happen
    2017.2018.2019.2020.2023.2024.GOLD.Survivor|2025 Wishlist:1349-1914-Aephanemer-Akercoke-Alcest-Alkaloid-AnaalNathrakh-AnAbstractIllusion-Atvm-Avatar-Avslut-Be'lakor-Belzebubs-ChapelOfDisease-Chthonic-Darkthrone-DiabloSwingOrchestra-Dimmu Borgir-Dodheimsgard-Draconian-EternalTearsOfSorrow-FreakKitchen-Hamferd-IATT-LochVostok-Marduk-NocnyKochanek-Satyricon-Schammasch-Scour-Shining(Nor)-Sigh-SulphurAeon-Turisas-Ulver-Virvum-Watain-WhiteWard
    Pellaz
    Lieutenant

by Pellaz » Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:34 pm

dcmetal02 wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:03 am

It's a good question. The problem is, there are 60 or 61 bands onbroad and on average, each band brings 2 items each. (T-shirts, maybe CDs, accessories, etc.) Some bands bring no merch and some bands bring 3 or 4 items. You also have 70K logo merch there, too. The merch area takes up a HUGE portion of the top level of the main dining room.

There are many things to choose from and you get a "personal shopper" when you get to the head of the line, and they grab your selections as you walk along, look at the merch and choose stuff. Even for someone who has already decided what they want the process takes time, let alone someone who walks in "cold." Unfortunately, it can't be done any other way because all purchases must be processed through Royal Caribbean's point-of-sale system and added to your shipboard balance due (and of course RC gets a cut).

The numbered ticket system they started two (?) years ago was an improvement, but IMO their implementation meant that many people who missed their number being called -- the current number is displayed around the ship -- didn't bother showing up at all, and lots of sales were lost that way. In practice last year, some people WERE allowed in after their numbers had been called, and some were turned away. After a certain point, people aren't quite as fanatic about getting in and the numbers start clicking up faster and faster....
    My suggestion to them was to allow anyone who had missed their number being called to show up later -- after they'd gotten up to #500, say -- and be "worked into" the line. It was shot down on Facebook, though.
    2025 Wishlist:
    slayergeek
    Midshipman

by slayergeek » Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:48 pm

cegr80 wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:29 am I cannot spend hours on a line for merch. I prefer to actually attend some shows. Same thing goes with the fine dining. I mean there are so many bands I'm sure will be playing while you wait for all this stuff to happen
    I agree. I sacrifice sleep, but by getting in line between 5 and 6am, I get my shirt before the first band goes on at 10.

Not saying lack of sleep doesn’t suck, but it is what it is.
    Survivor

WishList
    AstridDragon
    Petty Officer

by AstridDragon » Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:10 pm

cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:48 am

AstridDragon wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:10 pm https://m.facebook.com/groups/692202747 ... 9064717349

Merch pictures coming out!
    The number of bands doing boat-specific shirts is INSANE!
    Upcoming Gigs:
    2025 Wishlist
  • Phoenix
    Lieutenant

by Phoenix » Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:01 am

Fuuuuck, In Vain are bringing shirts? And ALL their CDs?

Do I have friends waiting in the merch line?

Survivor:
    Out for 2023
    cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:16 am

Phoenix wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:01 am Fuuuuck, In Vain are bringing shirts? And ALL their CDs?

Do I have friends waiting in the merch line?
    I desperately want the Delain and Visions of Atlantis boat shirts so I'll be lining up for sure.
    Upcoming Gigs:
    2025 Wishlist
Post Reply 43 posts