Post Reply 2418 posts
The Fitness Thread
    Daenerys
    Midshipman

Re: The Fitness Thread

by Daenerys » Sun May 26, 2013 8:45 pm

Jaimie38 wrote:
    Daenerys wrote: (been going there for 7 years straight)

And it shows :P :cool:

I have a BowFlex. It's a great clothes hanger.

Awww thanks :mrgreen: I've totally been slacking due to my shitty schedule though, that's the only thing that sucks about working 12 hours shifts; its a vicious cycle of sleep-work-eat-sleep, makes me feel like a slob :oops:

Laura, here's an entertaining article about HIT (high intensity) workouts:

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/05/0 ... e-workout/
    Voyager-Vuur-GrandMagus-Myrath-Borknagar-NovembersDoom-Aeternam-Havok-TheHaloEffect-Moonspell-SepticFlesh-Sigh-BarrenEarth-Iotunn-ScarSymmetry-Nekrogoblikon
  • Blumpkin
    Petty Officer

by Blumpkin » Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:48 pm

As good a routine as it might be, I have to question how much benefits you could possibly get from 7 minutes of exercise, even if you warm up and stretch. Someone told me a long time ago that the heart rate has to be elevated for 20 minutes before you will get any workout benefits. I don't know if that's true or not, but 7 minutes is an awfully short time. There's some infomercial out there from Tony Horton (the guy who made P90X) on a 10-minute workout system, but it seems to me that less than half an hour or working out does little to nothing. Am I wrong?
  • KDibildeaux
    Captain

by KDibildeaux » Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:34 pm

Been doing at least a half hour of cardio (an hour if I don't get at least 5000 steps at work) an adding in strength training this week. We have been consistent for over a month! Never thought I'd be able to regularly go to a gym. Helps that we can watch the Food Network while working out :lol:
    La sabiduría me persigue................pero yo soy más rápida
    viathyn
    Commander

by viathyn » Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:39 pm

I started lifting weights back in October.

I've maintained the same weight of about 225 lbs, but I've noticed big differences in muscle definition.

I've increased my chin-ups reps from about 3 to 9.
    I've increased bench press weight (3 reps) from 115 to 195.
    I've increased squats weight (6 reps) from 155 to 315, etc etc.

Big improvements, and feeling great!
    2011: Cabin #5549
    2012: Cabin #2581
    2013: Cabin #2077
    2014: Cabin #2583
    2015: Cabin #3242

Please check out my band
    http://www.facebook.com/VIATHYN

Stained Class
    Commander

by Stained Class » Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:45 pm

You're basically the John Petrucci of Calgary.
    9 time cruiser

I'm in a band
    www.facebook.com/Apprenticemetal

I run a festival
    https://www.facebook.com/events/2854966994515383
  • Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:50 pm

^^^ :lol:
    Seriously though - good job everyone. This week has been lame for me work-out wise (except for running around like a chicken with my head cut off as usual :P )....took a couple of vacation days early in the week, then I worked OT in a different location on the far northwest side yesterday on my regular day off. And this morning I was too rushed to grab my work-out clothes so I could go to the gym today either at lunch or after work. Since the club I joined is in the downtown "Loop" near where I work, I know I'll only be going there when I'm already downtown for work. So - the plan is to go tomorrow....not quite my 3x/week goal this week - but better than nuthin'!!
    2009-Wacken-2010-Wacken-2011-70K-Lollapalooza-HoleInTheSky-2012-70K-ColdWaves-2013-Lollapalooza-ColdWaves-2014-ProgNationAtSea-Pitchfork-RiotFest-ColdWaves-2015-RockLegendsCruise-CruiseToTheEdge-2016-ChicagoOpenAir-2017-70K!!
  • KDibildeaux
    Captain

by KDibildeaux » Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:33 pm

viathyn wrote:I started lifting weights back in October.

I've maintained the same weight of about 225 lbs, but I've noticed big differences in muscle definition.

I've increased my chin-ups reps from about 3 to 9.
    I've increased bench press weight (3 reps) from 115 to 195.
    I've increased squats weight (6 reps) from 155 to 315, etc etc.

Big improvements, and feeling great!

Whoa! I can't even picture benching 195 lbs :shock:
  • KDibildeaux
    Captain

by KDibildeaux » Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:34 pm

Laura wrote:^^^ :lol:
    Seriously though - good job everyone. This week has been lame for me work-out wise (except for running around like a chicken with my head cut off as usual :P )....took a couple of vacation days early in the week, then I worked OT in a different location on the far northwest side yesterday on my regular day off. And this morning I was too rushed to grab my work-out clothes so I could go to the gym today either at lunch or after work. Since the club I joined is in the downtown "Loop" near where I work, I know I'll only be going there when I'm already downtown for work. So - the plan is to go tomorrow....not quite my 3x/week goal this week - but better than nuthin'!!

Getting the time to work out seems to be the hardest part!
  • Blumpkin
    Petty Officer

by Blumpkin » Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:01 am

KDibildeaux wrote:Getting the time to work out seems to be the hardest part!

I couldn't agree more! That's even harder than the actual workout!
  • Blumpkin
    Petty Officer

by Blumpkin » Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:02 am

Stained Class wrote:You're basically the John Petrucci of Calgary.

I think his muscles increased with the length of his hair after he cut it, so don't forget the hair getting longer in the picture!
    viathyn
    Commander

by viathyn » Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:48 am

Stained Class wrote:You're basically the John Petrucci of Calgary.

hahaha. Love that pic.

Ok, my secret is out... why do you think I play on Music Man JPs? :P

Please check out my band

• KDibildeaux
    Captain

by KDibildeaux » Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:27 pm

Blumpkin wrote:
    KDibildeaux wrote:Getting the time to work out seems to be the hardest part!

I couldn't agree more! That's even harder than the actual workout!

It is. Stupid work!
  • Laura
    Commander

by Laura » Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:53 pm

Bloody hell.... :P today when I was on the elliptical machine, I had my iTunes on shuffle - and my new ultimate workout song came on (coincidentally - since I had Volbeat's Michael Poulsen on the brain via the ladie's thread yesterday and today -PLUS- I firmed up my hotel plans with a friend for Viva Las Vegas (woot - world's largest rockabilly party) next April)....
    Volbeat: A Moment Forever http://youtu.be/Hy3rnIHKBI4
    Tomorrow when I go back to the club - I'm gonna put it on repeat. :shred:

Viva Las Vegas!! http://www.vivalasvegas.net/
    (My next "big thing")
    2009-Wacken-2010-Wacken-2011-70K-Lollapalooza-HoleInTheSky-2012-70K-ColdWaves-2013-Lollapalooza-ColdWaves-2014-ProgNationAtSea-Pitchfork-RiotFest-ColdWaves-2015-RockLegendsCruise-CruiseToTheEdge-2016-ChicagoOpenAir-2017-70K!!
  • alex_canada
    Ensign

by alex_canada » Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:36 am

Did a half marathon this morning...not sure of the time, but something under 2 hours. I could be a decent runner if I trained, but I have no idea at all how these people get motivated to run so often. Unless I'm running on the big event day, I have no motivation to go out by myself and run around.
    3 Inches of Blood, Amon Amarth, Andrew WK, Be'lakor, Blind Guardian, Ne Obliviscaris, Nightwish, Unleash the Archers, Wuthering Heights
  • KDibildeaux
    Captain

by KDibildeaux » Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:19 am

alex_canada wrote:Did a half marathon this morning...not sure of the time, but something under 2 hours. I could be a decent runner if I trained, but I have no idea at all how these people get motivated to run so often. Unless I'm running on the big event day, I have no motivation to go out by myself and run around.

No idea. I hate running and can't get myself to do it for more than a few minute bursts. Yuck
  • Blumpkin
    Petty Officer

by Blumpkin » Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:06 am

KDibildeaux wrote:No idea. I hate running and can't get myself to do it for more than a few minute bursts. Yuck

The best I can do is interval runs -- different periods of moderate paces and sprints. Swimming is by far the superior "steady" cardio activity. Otherwise, so many other things are better, such as circuit training and leg stuff like box jumps and lunge squats, anything like that that gets your lungs working. Treadmill = boring to me.
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:17 am

Blumpkin wrote:Treadmill = boring to me.

Agreed, though watching the Food Network while running seems to help. :lol: I much prefer to run outside as the scenery changes throughout the course of the run making it more enjoyable. When I lived in the LA area my daily run along the beach was pretty nice. In Arizona it's just too damn hot this time of year to make running outside possible.
    I should get around to updating my signature
    WizardBeast
    Captain

by WizardBeast » Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:28 am

mooyagi wrote:
    Blumpkin wrote:Treadmill = boring to me.

Agreed, though watching the Food Network while running seems to help. :lol: I much prefer to run outside as the scenery changes throughout the course of the run making it more enjoyable. When I lived in the LA area my daily run along the beach was pretty nice. In Arizona it's just too damn hot this time of year to make running outside possible.

yeah it's too hot for humans out there unless it's 3am!!!

i do interval training on the stairmaster or treadmill, i find it more effective for me than long steady cardio, which is boring on any indoor machine. i like long walks if i'm gonna do that.

been back to lifting weights again for the first time in about 8 months. on week 3 now. i feel so much better when i lift! :D
    2011, Barge to Hell, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018 and 2020 SOOOOON
  • Striker01
    Wiper

by Striker01 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:12 pm

According to my personal point of view the running is the best exercise for burning your fat. I have seen many cases which successfully lost the weight . so I must recommend to walk in the begging the run.
  • KDibildeaux
    Captain

by KDibildeaux » Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:37 am

Blumpkin wrote:
    KDibildeaux wrote:No idea. I hate running and can't get myself to do it for more than a few minute bursts. Yuck

The best I can do is interval runs -- different periods of moderate paces and sprints. Swimming is by far the superior "steady" cardio activity. Otherwise, so many other things are better, such as circuit training and leg stuff like box jumps and lunge squats, anything like that that gets your lungs working. Treadmill = boring to me.

I split up my cardio time between the treadmill, elliptical machine and the stair climber. Makes it less boring
  • Blumpkin
    Petty Officer

by Blumpkin » Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:04 am

Striker01 wrote:According to my personal point of view the running is the best exercise for burning your fat. I have seen many cases which successfully lost the weight . so I must recommend to walk in the begging the run.

Swimming is better. Less stress on the joints, and it works more muscles.
    WizardBeast
    Captain

by WizardBeast » Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:43 am

the best workout is the one that pushes you and you can stick to it!
    2011, Barge to Hell, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018 and 2020 SOOOOON
    Ingrid
    Petty Officer

by Ingrid » Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:40 am

Sooo.. time to get in shape for the cruise.. 5 months left and a LOT of kilos to lose...... :P .
    I don't go to the gym, I don't like it so I will never go anyway, and that would be a waste of money.
    I do workouts at home with a special program and go running 2-3 times a week.
    Those things I actually like doing (mostly because I can do them on my own, without having the feeling that the entire gym is watching me), give me satisfaction, and actually work!!

I already lost 10 kilos this year, and I'm not planning on stopping :cool:
    www.metal-exposure.com
  • X-Thor
    Lieutenant

by X-Thor » Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:58 am

Ingrid wrote:Sooo.. time to get in shape for the cruise.. 5 months left and a LOT of kilos to lose...... :P .
    I don't go to the gym, I don't like it so I will never go anyway, and that would be a waste of money.
    Those things I actually like doing (mostly because I can do them on my own, without having the feeling that the entire gym is watching me), give me satisfaction, and actually work!!

:headbanger: :headbanger:
    70K 2013 SURVIVOR (Cabin 2120)
    70K 2014 SURVIVOR (Cabin 2565)

In perpetual post-cruise depression/pre-cruise anxiety.

Doing my best to be there for 2015.
    --
    Wishlist: Blind Guardian and Saurom. Will probably like 90%+ of the bands onbroad anyway.
    viathyn
    Commander

by viathyn » Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:51 am

I've been lifting weights pretty regularly for about 11 months now. 1 more year and I will be in full bear-mode. I'm loving it, by the way... I feel great most of the time.

Please check out my band

onenight
    Midshipman

by onenight » Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:05 pm

Ingrid wrote:Sooo.. time to get in shape for the cruise.. 5 months left and a LOT of kilos to lose...... :P .

How far do you run?
    2015 wishlist: Mercyful Fate, Meliah Rage, Agalloch, Anathema, Armored Saint, Warlock, Sahg, Labyrinth, Incantation, Accept, Savatage, Goatwhore, Satan, Bolt Thrower, Tad Morose, Krokus, TT Quick, Eldritch
    onenight
    Midshipman

by onenight » Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:11 pm

Striker01 wrote:According to my personal point of view the running is the best exercise for burning your fat. I have seen many cases which successfully lost the weight . so I must recommend to walk in the begging the run.

I agree, If you want to lose weight and keep it off, running is the way to go. Sign up for a local race, something short and easy to keep you motivated. I started running 5 yrs ago and I'm in the best shape I've ever been in my life, and I smoked for almost 15 yrs.
    2015 wishlist: Mercyful Fate, Meliah Rage, Agalloch, Anathema, Armored Saint, Warlock, Sahg, Labyrinth, Incantation, Accept, Savatage, Goatwhore, Satan, Bolt Thrower, Tad Morose, Krokus, TT Quick, Eldritch
  • alex_canada
    Ensign

by alex_canada » Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:19 pm

A few months ago I completely lost my motivation to exercise. In the meantime, I went outdoor rock climbing for the first time and loved it - decided to put some cash down that weekend to buy some gear and haven't looked back since. The time away has recharged my batteries, and I've enjoyed hitting the weights again. I was going to wait until 100 days until the cruise, but decided to get a jump start since I felt reinvigorated.

Can't get up the motivation for leg day though. Used to enjoy it, but a broken kneecap from Metalcamp years ago threw a wrench in squats. And also horrible flexibility.

Sort of a fitness note as well - I've been asked to present at my province's biggest physician conference regarding integrating physical activity prescription into primary care. Score!
    3 Inches of Blood, Amon Amarth, Andrew WK, Be'lakor, Blind Guardian, Ne Obliviscaris, Nightwish, Unleash the Archers, Wuthering Heights
    Ingrid
    Petty Officer

by Ingrid » Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:49 am

You can do it!!! :D

onenight wrote:

How far do you run?

Oh I never noticed this post. Usually somewhere between 5 and 7 kilometers, but at the moment I'm having an injurie so I'm not running thát much, and also not that fast and far. But it's getting better so I'm getting started again!

Just before the injurie had aaaaaaaalmost ran my 5k within the half hour (30 seconds too long)
    www.metal-exposure.com
  • sageoftruth
    Lieutenant

by sageoftruth » Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:53 pm

Yesterday was a special day for me. Until then, the farthest I had ever run was 5 miles. Yesterday, I topped it by running to my folk's apartment and back for a total of 10 miles.
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:56 pm

sageoftruth wrote:Yesterday was a special day for me. Until then, the farthest I had ever run was 5 miles. Yesterday, I topped it by running to my folk's apartment and back for a total of 10 miles.

I was quite shocked when you told me yesterday what you were doing. Good job.
  • sageoftruth
    Lieutenant

by sageoftruth » Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:40 am

mooyagi wrote:
    sageoftruth wrote:Yesterday was a special day for me. Until then, the farthest I had ever run was 5 miles. Yesterday, I topped it by running to my folk's apartment and back for a total of 10 miles.

Thanks. I have to admit, I wasn't running the whole time. In fact, I took a short break at my parent's place for tea and some conversation, and then stopped at a McDonalds for a quick burger on the way back.
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:56 pm

sageoftruth wrote:
    mooyagi wrote:

Thanks. I have to admit, I wasn't running the whole time. In fact, I took a short break at my parent's place for tea and some conversation, and then stopped at a McDonalds for a quick burger on the way back.

Gotta replace all those calories you had just burned off :lol:
  • sageoftruth
    Lieutenant

by sageoftruth » Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:27 am

mooyagi wrote:
    sageoftruth wrote:
    mooyagi wrote:

I've been hard at work at that this week. I seem to have acquired a recent sugar addiction and have been snacking a lot more than I used to.
  • sageoftruth
    Lieutenant

by sageoftruth » Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:24 pm

I've been trying to cut down on my eating today. Just got an E-mails that there are a ton of leftover snacks up for grabs on the floor above me. However, I don't really know anyone up there very well.

Come on, social anxiety, KEEP ME THIN!!!!
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:20 pm

sageoftruth wrote:
    mooyagi wrote:
    sageoftruth wrote:Thanks. I have to admit, I wasn't running the whole time. In fact, I took a short break at my parent's place for tea and some conversation, and then stopped at a McDonalds for a quick burger on the way back.

I've been hard at work at that this week. I seem to have acquired a recent sugar addiction and have been snacking a lot more than I used to.

I get the feeling we won't be fixing that addiction any time this weekend :mrgreen:
  • sageoftruth
    Lieutenant

by sageoftruth » Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:51 am

Just posting to drown out the kitchens
    onenight
    Midshipman

by onenight » Sat Nov 02, 2013 5:11 pm

What's wrong with kitchens, it's the best room in the house.
  • X-Thor
    Lieutenant

by X-Thor » Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:07 am

Fuck da spam.
    70K 2013 SURVIVOR (Cabin 2120)
    70K 2014 SURVIVOR (Cabin 2565)

In perpetual post-cruise depression/pre-cruise anxiety.

Doing my best to be there for 2015.
    --
    Wishlist: Blind Guardian and Saurom. Will probably like 90%+ of the bands onbroad anyway.
  • sageoftruth
    Lieutenant

by sageoftruth » Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:32 pm

onenight wrote:What's wrong with kitchens, it's the best room in the house.

Nah! That would be my bedroom. Privacy and video games rule.
Post Reply 2418 posts