Post Reply 18 posts Page 1 of 1
Where to stay in Ft. Lauderdale before Cruise
  • metalfan9366
    Oiler

Where to stay in Ft. Lauderdale before Cruise

by metalfan9366 » Sun Mar 10, 2019 5:22 pm

I am looking to come to Florida a day or two before the cruise and am looking for suggestions on where to stay to be able to take advantage of any parties or things to do before the cruise. Does anyone have any suggestions on Hotels to stay at on the beach? Or maybe one close to attractions within walking distance so I don't need to rent a car or take a taxi. Thank you in advance.
    2016 Survivor
    2018 Survivor
    cowboy71
    Commander

Re: Where to stay in Ft. Lauderdale before Cruise

by cowboy71 » Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:02 pm

QUESTION: Where to stay in Fort Lauderdale?

ANSWER: Miami! :P

Miami, South Beach is the place to stay. It's where the main parties are, where the big beach party is, etc.

And 'official' buses get organised at a very reasonable price to transport cruisers up to Fort Lauderdale on the morning of the cruise.

Plenty of okay hotels at reasonable prices at South Beach. Cruiser discounts at The Clevelander and Essex House hotels were arranged for this year. Possibly the same will be in place for next year.

Avoid Fort Lauderdale. I've stayed there on a couple of occasions and been disappointed each time (only upside of where I stayed at FLL this year, was that several band members were staying there!).
    Upcoming Gigs:
    -/-Halestorm?-/-Fleshgod-Apocalypse-/-Scar-Symmetry-/-Wind-Rose-/-Unleash-The-Archers
    2025 Wishlist
    Ad-Infinitum-/-Aephanemer-/-All-For-Metal-/-Alterium-/-Ancient-Bards-/-Atlas-Pain-/-Avantasia-/-Battlelore-/Beast-In-Black-/-Believer-/-Beyond-The-Black-/-Brothers-of-Metal-/-Catalyst-Crime-/-Civil-War-/-Circus-Maximus-/-Claymorean-/-Cobra-Spell-/-Dark-Moor-/-Dark-Sarah-/-Dartagnan-/-Diabulus-In-Musica-/-Edguy-/-Ex-Libris-/-Exit-Eden-/-Fellowship-/-Follow-The-Cipher-/-Frozen-Crown-/-Galderia-/-Hammer-King-/-Heavatar-/-Ignea-/-Imperial-Age-/-In-This-Moment-/-Jaldaboath-/-Kaledon-/-Labyrinth-/-Living-Sacrifice-/-Metalite-/-Moonlight-Haze-/-Neopera-/-Nestor-/-Nocturna-/-Orden-Ogan-/-Pathfinder-/-Phantom-Elite-/-Poisonblack-/-Power-Paladin-/-Powerwolf-/-The-Privateer-/-Rexoria-/-Running-Wild-/-She-Wolf-/-Silver-Bullet-/-Sleeping-Romance-/-Sojourner-/-Tarot-/-Ten-/-Thaurorod-/-The-Big-Deal-/-The-Dark-Element-/-Trick-or-Treat-/-Trillium-/-Unisonic-/-Valhalore-/-Vanishing-Point-/-Volturian-/-Walk-In-Darkness-/-Within-Temptation
  • Phoenix
    Lieutenant

by Phoenix » Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:53 am

St. Maurice Beach Inn, it's cheap, it's on the beach, and the Uber to the port is like ten dollars.

Contrary to what Dallas says, I hate Miami and love Fort Lauderdale. Though it depends on what you're looking for. Do you want to party with a bunch of people in an over crowded outdoor bar in an expensive hotel with high food prices? If yes, stay in Miami. Do you want to party with less (but still some) metalheads in a comparatively much cheaper place, on what I think is a better beach? That's Fort Lauderdale.

Miami is worth doing once for the experience, but my local friends are pretty done with it now. Fort Lauderdale for us.

Survivor:
    Out for 2023
    slayergeek
    Midshipman

by slayergeek » Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:13 am

Phoenix wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:53 am St. Maurice Beach Inn, it's cheap, it's on the beach, and the Uber to the port is like ten dollars.

Contrary to what Dallas says, I hate Miami and love Fort Lauderdale. Though it depends on what you're looking for. Do you want to party with a bunch of people in an over crowded outdoor bar in an expensive hotel with high food prices? If yes, stay in Miami. Do you want to party with less (but still some) metalheads in a comparatively much cheaper place, on what I think is a better beach? That's Fort Lauderdale.

Miami is worth doing once for the experience, but my local friends are pretty done with it now. Fort Lauderdale for us.
    I for one am a huge fan of Dorthy's Miami 'Survivor Beach Party'. A thousand or so cruisers taking over a South Beach hotel is pretty awesome and I have been staying at the Clevelander the last few years. (Ground 0 for the party) That being said, if you are on a budget Ft. Lauderdale is cheaper, and you can always take a Uber to Miami to experience a night at the Clevelander preparty if you want.
    Survivor
    • 2014,2015,2016,2017,2018,2019,2020,2023,2024,See_you_in_2025

Absolute_Darkness-Death/Thrash_Band_I_am_the_Singer/Guitarist_for
    • FacebookPage-https://www.facebook.com/BandAbsoluteDarkness

Thud_Bukit-Death/Comedy_Band_I_am_the_Singer/Guitarist/Drummer/Bassist_for
    • FacebookPage-https://www.facebook.com/Thud-Bukit-100960638505481

70k Bands - Unofficial iPhone/Android_app_of_the_70,000_tons_cruise
    WishList
    • Old_Man's_Child-/-Battle_Cross-/-Impaled-/-Dismember-/-Amon_Amarth-/-Dethklok-/-Gruesome-/-Rotten_Sound-/-As_Blood_Runs_Black-/-Through_The_Eyes_Of_The_Dead-/-Testament-/
  • Bob
    Petty Officer

by Bob » Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:55 am

Dorothy does a spectacular job of organizing the main events in Miami as noted here. I highly suggest doing the main pre-party event at least once.

But for me I absolutely despise Miami for various reasons, for example, too expensive, too busy, didn't feel safe, etc.

Ground zero for pre-cruise in Fort Lauderdale is the Riptide Oceanfront Hotel & Tiki Bar, 2300 N Surf Rd, Hollywood, FL 33019. It used to be ground zero for the pre-parties, but the main events are now in Miami. Many of us still gather at Riptide or book hotels nearby that are cheaper. Plus there is always a pre and post cruise party at the Hollywood Brewery nearby, 290 N Broadwalk, Hollywood, FL 33319.
    Wishlist 2024: Ranked in order of:
    1. Line up on the center rail for both sets if announced.

Konvent
    2. Never seen them live.
    Anaal_Nathrakh-/-Burning_Witches-/-Combichrist-/-Dee_Snider-/-Gojira-/-Grai-/-Hanzel_und_Gretyl-/-IGNEA-/-Inquisition-/-Jinjer-/-Lovebites-/-King_Diamond-/-Mgla-/-Opeth-/-Rob_Zombie-/-Spiritbox-/-Temple_of_Evil-/-The_Hu-/-Vader-/-Visigoth-/-Wagakki_Band
    3. Seen them before and would love to see them on das boat.
    Avatar-/-Babymetal-/-Behemoth-/-Corrosion_of_Conformity-/-Fleshgod_Apocalypse-/-Lacuna_Coil-/-Lamb_of_God-/-Meshuggah-/-Metsatöll-/-Myrkur-/-Sabaton-/-Sepultura-/-Suicidal_Tendencies-/-Therion-/-The_Iron_Maidens-/-Wolves_in_the_Throne_Room
    70K Survivor - 2015, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 23
    AstridDragon
    Petty Officer

by AstridDragon » Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:52 am

slayergeek wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:13 am and you can always take a Uber to Miami to experience a night at the Clevelander preparty if you want.
    I don't know why I've never seen it mentioned on the forums yet, but guys THE TRI RAIL. It is less than 5 dollars to get from Ft Lauderdale to Miami. Half an hour trip. I am quite possibly still flying in to FLL next year as it's most often cheaper, but still do the beach party and maybe stay in Miami because I didn't make it last year.

Also, another accommodation option, don't forget AirBnB! Just read the reviews and don't pick a new listing. Can find spots in FLL for about 50 a night and even south beach Miami for 60-100 a night. Can get even cheaper if you're willing to do a hostel-style airbnb but that's not what I want when I'm about to be sharing a tiny cabin for several days.
    cegr80
    Lieutenant

by cegr80 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:31 pm

If you can afford to stay in Miami beach, then do it. You will be closer to the beach party which is awesome. I have been attending it for the past two years and intend to keep attending.

Fort Lauderdale has the advantage of being closer to Port Everglades. I actually went to the post cruise beach party at the Riptide in Hollywood Beach for the first time this year. Loved the beach boulevard and the surroundings.

At the end of the day it depends on what you want. Miami Beach is great to meet and interact with most metalheads. You can do the same in FLL but with less people. FLL is more relaxed/chill
    2017.2018.2019.2020.2023.2024.GOLD.Survivor|2025 Wishlist:1349-1914-Aephanemer-Akercoke-Alcest-Alkaloid-AnaalNathrakh-AnAbstractIllusion-Atvm-Avatar-Avslut-Be'lakor-Belzebubs-ChapelOfDisease-Chthonic-Darkthrone-DiabloSwingOrchestra-Dimmu Borgir-Dodheimsgard-Draconian-EternalTearsOfSorrow-FreakKitchen-Hamferd-IATT-LochVostok-Marduk-NocnyKochanek-Satyricon-Schammasch-Scour-Shining(Nor)-Sigh-SulphurAeon-Turisas-Ulver-Virvum-Watain-WhiteWard
    Pellaz
    Lieutenant

by Pellaz » Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:04 pm

AstridDragon wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:52 am
    slayergeek wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:13 am and you can always take a Uber to Miami to experience a night at the Clevelander preparty if you want.
    I don't know why I've never seen it mentioned on the forums yet, but guys THE TRI RAIL. It is less than 5 dollars to get from Ft Lauderdale to Miami. Half an hour trip. I am quite possibly still flying in to FLL next year as it's most often cheaper, but still do the beach party and maybe stay in Miami because I didn't make it last year.
    But don't you have to get back and forth from the coast (Port Everglades, the Riptide, the Clevelander, etc.) over to the Tri-Rail line? That would add expense and time.

There's also a new train there, BrightLine. Not sure how that fits in, though.
    2025 Wishlist:
    1349--Abbath--Abigail.Williams--Aephanemer--Agalloch--Agathodaimon--Alien.Weaponry--Allegaeon--Amon.Amarth--Amorphis--Animals.As.Leaders--Arkona--Arsis--Atrocity--Ayreon--Bal.Sagoth--Baroness--Barren.Earth--Battlelore--Behemoth--Below.7--Belzebubs--Be'lakor--Black.Crown.Initiate--Bloodbath--Borknagar--Broken.Trinity--Cannibal.Corpse--Chthe'ilist--CoF--Countless.Skies--Cynic--Demons.&.Wizards--Dimmu.Borgir--Dark.Tranquillity--Dragonforce--Edge.of.Sanity--Witherscape--anything.Dan.Swano--Eluveitie--Eneferens--Ensiferum--Enslaved--Eternal.Tears.of.Sorrow--Evergrey--Exmortus--Ex.Deo--Fear.Factory--Fires.In.the.Distance--Gojira--Graveworm--Green.Carnation--Hypocrisy--Immortal--Insomnium--Irreversible.Mechanism--Kalmah--Kamelot--Keep.Of.Kalessin--Korpiklaani--Kreator--Leprous--Luciferan.Light.Orchestra--Loss--Melechesh--Meshuggah--Mezarkabul--Moonspell--Mors.Principium.Est--Myrath--Ne.Obliviscaris--Nile--Nokturnal.Mortem--NorthTale--Novembers.Doom--Obscura--Old.Mans.Child--Opeth--Paladin--Poisonblack--Powerwolf--Primordial--Rapheumet's.Well--Raven--Rivers.Of.Nihil--Ryujin--Sabaton--Sadistic.Ritual--Samael--Satyricon--Savatage--Scale.the.Summit--Scorched.Moon--Septic.Flesh--Serious.Black--Seven.Spires--Sigh--Skalmold--Slough.Feg--Starkill--Steorrah--SYL--Suidakra--Summoning--Tarot--Therion--Thy.Serpent--Tomarum--Tomb.Mold--Turisas--Twilight.Force--Tyr--Vale.Of.Pnath--Valhalore--Vesania--Vintersorg--Wolfchant--Yyrkoon
    2015-2020; 2023-2024: Survivor
    2025: most likely
    AstridDragon
    Petty Officer

by AstridDragon » Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:08 pm

Pellaz wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:04 pm

But don't you have to get back and forth from the coast (Port Everglades, the Riptide, the Clevelander, etc.) over to the Tri-Rail line? That would add expense and time.

There's also a new train there, BrightLine. Not sure how that fits in, though.
    Sure but the tri rail + a short uber or bus is way cheaper than anything else I know of. Now, if time is of the essence, public transit is usually not the way to go.

And I agree, the riptide after party was really great! Hollywood brewing had one too that I checked out later in the evening but I think Riptide is the way to go for after.
    Razor Ramon
    Midshipman

by Razor Ramon » Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:09 pm

Every year I stay near the port. No way I am staying in Miami and paying those prices. This year I had an Air BnB next to FLL. I rent a car and drive to the pre party in Miami.
    70000 Tons 2019
    Wishlist:Anneke-Van-Geirsbergen-VUUR-/-Battlelore-/-Borknagar-/-My-Dying-Bride-/-Draconian-/-Harakiri-For-The-Sky-/-The-Gathering-/-Anathema-/-Within-Temptation-/-Novembre-/-Katatonia-/-Lacuna-Coil-/-Rainover-/-Moonspell-/-Funeral-/-Isole/-Nightwish-/-Riverside-/-The-Crown-/-Autumnal-/-Aeonian-Sorrow-/-Throes-Of-Dawn-/-Thurisaz-/-Daylight-Dies-/-Shape-Of-Despair-/-Arcturus-/-Be'lakor-/-Ereb-Altor-/-Evocation-/-Tyranny-/-Sulphur-Aeon-/-Ajattara-/-Sojourner-/-Oceans-Of-Slumber-/-Lik-/-Thyrfing-/-In-The-Woods-/-Skepticism-/-Heaven-Shall-Burn-/-Darkwell-/-Vetrar-Draugurinn-/-Therion-/-Haggard-/-Draconian-/-Bloodred-Hourglass-/-Bowel-Fuck-/-Batushka-/-Mork-/-Devour-The-Fetus-/-Perturbator-/-Carpenter-Brut-/-Hallatar-/-Infiltration-/-Myrkur-/-Before-The-Dawn-/-Letters-From-The-Colony-/-Demonical-/-Helevorn-/-Viscera-Infest-/-Wormrot-/-And-Oceans
    My musical taste:http://www.last.fm/user/Anthony3
    Razor Ramon
    Midshipman

by Razor Ramon » Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:13 pm

Oh, and while you guys are thinking about places to stay...

Next year things will be different. Monday will be the only day that we fully get the Clevelander. Saturday is looking like a Clevelander rooftop party, so a lot smaller. Sunday is looking like we will take over the Kayak spot, wherever that is, never went to it. But there is no limit to the size of the party or what we can do there (live bands, food trucks, catering, etc..).
    70000 Tons 2019
    Wishlist:Anneke-Van-Geirsbergen-VUUR-/-Battlelore-/-Borknagar-/-My-Dying-Bride-/-Draconian-/-Harakiri-For-The-Sky-/-The-Gathering-/-Anathema-/-Within-Temptation-/-Novembre-/-Katatonia-/-Lacuna-Coil-/-Rainover-/-Moonspell-/-Funeral-/-Isole/-Nightwish-/-Riverside-/-The-Crown-/-Autumnal-/-Aeonian-Sorrow-/-Throes-Of-Dawn-/-Thurisaz-/-Daylight-Dies-/-Shape-Of-Despair-/-Arcturus-/-Be'lakor-/-Ereb-Altor-/-Evocation-/-Tyranny-/-Sulphur-Aeon-/-Ajattara-/-Sojourner-/-Oceans-Of-Slumber-/-Lik-/-Thyrfing-/-In-The-Woods-/-Skepticism-/-Heaven-Shall-Burn-/-Darkwell-/-Vetrar-Draugurinn-/-Therion-/-Haggard-/-Draconian-/-Bloodred-Hourglass-/-Bowel-Fuck-/-Batushka-/-Mork-/-Devour-The-Fetus-/-Perturbator-/-Carpenter-Brut-/-Hallatar-/-Infiltration-/-Myrkur-/-Before-The-Dawn-/-Letters-From-The-Colony-/-Demonical-/-Helevorn-/-Viscera-Infest-/-Wormrot-/-And-Oceans
    My musical taste:http://www.last.fm/user/Anthony3
    cegr80
    Lieutenant

by cegr80 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:53 pm

Razor Ramon wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:13 pm Oh, and while you guys are thinking about places to stay...
    Thank goodness I don't suffer from accommodations. One of my best friends lives in Miami and he bought a house there. I can always crash at his place :D
    2017.2018.2019.2020.2023.2024.GOLD.Survivor|2025 Wishlist:1349-1914-Aephanemer-Akercoke-Alcest-Alkaloid-AnaalNathrakh-AnAbstractIllusion-Atvm-Avatar-Avslut-Be'lakor-Belzebubs-ChapelOfDisease-Chthonic-Darkthrone-DiabloSwingOrchestra-Dimmu Borgir-Dodheimsgard-Draconian-EternalTearsOfSorrow-FreakKitchen-Hamferd-IATT-LochVostok-Marduk-NocnyKochanek-Satyricon-Schammasch-Scour-Shining(Nor)-Sigh-SulphurAeon-Turisas-Ulver-Virvum-Watain-WhiteWard
    toby
    Midshipman

by toby » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:27 am

Have a room booked at the Riptide Sunday and Monday nights.
    Survivor 2019,2020,2023,2024/Wishlist...
    A.Sound.Of.Thunder/Accept/Ad.Infinitum/Aether.Realm/Alabama.Thunderpussy/Amaranthe/Anthrax/Arch.Enemy/Art.Of.Anarchy/At.The.Gates/Avantasia/Avatar/Burning.Witches/Cattle.Decapitation/Cemetery.Skyline/Corrosion.Of.Conformity/Crowbar/Dark.Tranquillity/Death.Angel/Death.Dealer.Union/Deathless.Legacy/Devin.Townsend/Dragony/Dream.Theater/Edguy/Elegant.Weapons/Eluveitie/Ensiferum/Exhorder/Exodus/Fates.Warning/Goatwhore/Haken/Hammerfall/Havok/Helloween/Hellscore/Jinjer/Kerry.King/King.Diamond/King's.X/Kobra.and.the.Lotus/Lacuna.Coil/Mercyful.Fate/Meshuggah/Metal.Church/Moonspell/Mors.Principium.Est/Myrath/Napalm.Death/Ne.Obliviscaris/Nekrogoblikon/Northern.Kings/Opeth/Orphaned.Land/Overkill/Paradise.Lost/Persefone/Powerwolf/Queensryche/Rage/Raven/Ravenous.EH/Riot.V/Sabaton/Scardust/Scorched.Moon/Seven.Spires/SIGH/Skiltron/Solemn.Vision/Sonata.Arctica/Soto/Stratovarius/Subway.to.Sally/Suicidal.Tendencies/Svartsot/Symphony.X/Testament/The.Black.Dahlia.Murder/The.Hu/The.Unity/Tribunal/Trouble/Twilight.Force/Unleash.The.Archers/Van.Canto/Within.Temptation
  • Godflesh
    Ensign

by Godflesh » Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:36 pm

This year my wife and I went to an Italian restaurant near our hotel in Fort Lauderdale that was really good, best garlic potatoes ever.
    Nice Italian wine list, but $$$.
    We’ll probably go there again on Monday (Day -1), would love to meet some sailors there.
    No metal dress code though, I’m afraid.
    Last edited by Godflesh on Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  • Godflesh
    Ensign

by Godflesh » Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:39 pm

Godflesh wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:36 pmwould love to meet some sailors there.
    Not *that* kind of sailors :P
  • clegane
    Petty Officer

by clegane » Thu Nov 28, 2019 1:27 am

Our last cruise was in 2015 and there was a Warm Up Party in Fort Lauderdale with 5 or 6 bands playing!
    The Headliner was Sabbath Judas Sabbath with James Rivera!
    I wonder if there will be such an Warm Up concert again!???!
    This would be marvellous!!! :whisky:
    Wishlist: Mercyful Fate, Infernal Majesty, Meliah Rage,Toranaga, Evildead, Triptykon, Brutality, Massacre, Dismember, Flotsam a Jetsam, Protector, Razor, Helstar, Omen, Running Wild, Vltimas, Lik, Sorcery (SWE), Attacker

Survivor:
    taketheday
    Chief Petty Officer

by taketheday » Sat Dec 07, 2019 2:05 am

I booked at the Days Inn Airport South FLL since the Saturday and will join the fellow cruisers at the Riptide on the Monday afternoon :cheers:

2013: 7545
    2014: 9554
    2015: 2633
    2016 and 2019: 7320
    2017/2018: 7624
    2020: 7324

https://www.facebook.com/Bands.support.and.promotion
  • Godflesh
    Ensign

by Godflesh » Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:36 pm

Godflesh wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:36 pm This year my wife and I went to an Italian restaurant near our hotel in Fort Lauderdale that was really good, best garlic potatoes ever.
    Nice Italian wine list, but $$$.
    We’ll probably go there again on Monday (Day -1), would love to meet some sailors there.
    No metal dress code though, I’m afraid.
    Alright, I found the perfect place: Andy’s Live Fire Grill and Bar, because Andy’s
    I’ll book a table for Monday 6th at 7pm, under the name Andy Gillion

http://andyslivefire.com
Post Reply 18 posts Page 1 of 1