Post Reply 2037 posts
The Official 70000TONS OF METAL 2020 Megathread
    Pellaz
    Lieutenant

Re: How About Some Original French Witchcraft?

by Pellaz » Sat Oct 26, 2019 10:40 am

cowboy71 wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 6:39 pm
    Pellaz wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 6:26 pm
    But it will probably be something relatively lame like Kreator.
    Love how you refer to something you have on the wishlist in your signature as "relatively lame". :P

You're a hard man to please :P
    Oh, I like Kreator a lot, but heck, I saw 'em just two years ago on the boat. That's why I said "relatively" lame.
    They'd be a safe, established choice.
    Meanwhile, 0/11 so far for bands off my wishlist :cry:
    …..
    Yeah I'm being super - critical. I have been spoilt by being on all previous 70Ks. If I was looking at this as if it was my first cruise then the lineup is epic - Epica, Haggard, Einherjer, Leaves Eyes, Wintersun. All two-setters for me. BUT, seen them all before now, thanks to 70K.
    Yep. I think 70K is beginning to suffer much the same fate as ProgPower USA did: as time goes on and your prior roster gets bigger and bigger, the number of gosh-wow, holy-shit-they've-never-played-before bands starts shrinking. You start needing to have prior bands play special sets, or be one-off exclusive performances, etc. In a way, the festivals start to become victims of their own success.

Even so, Survivors know that the cruise is about SO much more than just the bands. The camaraderie, the ship, the journey, and that feeling of being part of a global metal family.... Even with a ton of repeats, many -- most -- of us will come back.
    2025 Wishlist:
    1349--Abbath--Abigail.Williams--Aephanemer--Agalloch--Agathodaimon--Alien.Weaponry--Allegaeon--Amon.Amarth--Amorphis--Animals.As.Leaders--Arkona--Arsis--Atrocity--Ayreon--Bal.Sagoth--Baroness--Barren.Earth--Battlelore--Behemoth--Below.7--Belzebubs--Be'lakor--Black.Crown.Initiate--Bloodbath--Borknagar--Broken.Trinity--Cannibal.Corpse--Chthe'ilist--CoF--Countless.Skies--Cynic--Demons.&.Wizards--Dimmu.Borgir--Dark.Tranquillity--Dragonforce--Edge.of.Sanity--Witherscape--anything.Dan.Swano--Eluveitie--Eneferens--Ensiferum--Enslaved--Eternal.Tears.of.Sorrow--Evergrey--Exmortus--Ex.Deo--Fear.Factory--Fires.In.the.Distance--Gojira--Graveworm--Green.Carnation--Hypocrisy--Immortal--Insomnium--Irreversible.Mechanism--Kalmah--Kamelot--Keep.Of.Kalessin--Korpiklaani--Kreator--Leprous--Luciferan.Light.Orchestra--Loss--Melechesh--Meshuggah--Mezarkabul--Moonspell--Mors.Principium.Est--Myrath--Ne.Obliviscaris--Nile--Nokturnal.Mortem--NorthTale--Novembers.Doom--Obscura--Old.Mans.Child--Opeth--Paladin--Poisonblack--Powerwolf--Primordial--Rapheumet's.Well--Raven--Rivers.Of.Nihil--Ryujin--Sabaton--Sadistic.Ritual--Samael--Satyricon--Savatage--Scale.the.Summit--Scorched.Moon--Septic.Flesh--Serious.Black--Seven.Spires--Sigh--Skalmold--Slough.Feg--Starkill--Steorrah--SYL--Suidakra--Summoning--Tarot--Therion--Thy.Serpent--Tomarum--Tomb.Mold--Turisas--Twilight.Force--Tyr--Vale.Of.Pnath--Valhalore--Vesania--Vintersorg--Wolfchant--Yyrkoon
    2015-2020; 2023-2024: Survivor
    2025: most likely
  • eddie_beast
    Oiler

by eddie_beast » Sat Oct 26, 2019 11:37 am

Pellaz wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 10:40 am
    Love how you refer to something you have on the wishlist in your signature as "relatively lame". :P

Oh, I like Kreator a lot, but heck, I saw 'em just two years ago on the boat. That's why I said "relatively" lame.
    …..
    Yeah I'm being super - critical. I have been spoilt by being on all previous 70Ks. If I was looking at this as if it was my first cruise then the lineup is epic - Epica, Haggard, Einherjer, Leaves Eyes, Wintersun. All two-setters for me. BUT, seen them all before now, thanks to 70K.
    Yep. I think 70K is beginning to suffer much the same fate as ProgPower USA did: as time goes on and your prior roster gets bigger and bigger, the number of gosh-wow, holy-shit-they've-never-played-before bands starts shrinking. You start needing to have prior bands play special sets, or be one-off exclusive performances, etc. In a way, the festivals start to become victims of their own success.

Even so, Survivors know that the cruise is about SO much more than just the bands. The camaraderie, the ship, the journey, and that feeling of being part of a global metal family.... Even with a ton of repeats, many -- most -- of us will come back.
    So the ProgPower, much more than just the bands 🤘
  • rocking apple
    Crewman

by rocking apple » Sat Oct 26, 2019 1:05 pm

…..

Y E S !!!!
    :cheers:
    :bangers:
    Pellaz
    Lieutenant

by Pellaz » Sat Oct 26, 2019 2:56 pm

eddie_beast wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 11:37 am So the ProgPower, much more than just the bands 🤘
    Yep. It's been 20 years since it started and over the years we've built a great ProgPower metal "family," with similar camaraderie to 70K.
    But, there are 100% fewer hot-tubs, though. :lol:
    2025 Wishlist:
    1349--Abbath--Abigail.Williams--Aephanemer--Agalloch--Agathodaimon--Alien.Weaponry--Allegaeon--Amon.Amarth--Amorphis--Animals.As.Leaders--Arkona--Arsis--Atrocity--Ayreon--Bal.Sagoth--Baroness--Barren.Earth--Battlelore--Behemoth--Below.7--Belzebubs--Be'lakor--Black.Crown.Initiate--Bloodbath--Borknagar--Broken.Trinity--Cannibal.Corpse--Chthe'ilist--CoF--Countless.Skies--Cynic--Demons.&.Wizards--Dimmu.Borgir--Dark.Tranquillity--Dragonforce--Edge.of.Sanity--Witherscape--anything.Dan.Swano--Eluveitie--Eneferens--Ensiferum--Enslaved--Eternal.Tears.of.Sorrow--Evergrey--Exmortus--Ex.Deo--Fear.Factory--Fires.In.the.Distance--Gojira--Graveworm--Green.Carnation--Hypocrisy--Immortal--Insomnium--Irreversible.Mechanism--Kalmah--Kamelot--Keep.Of.Kalessin--Korpiklaani--Kreator--Leprous--Luciferan.Light.Orchestra--Loss--Melechesh--Meshuggah--Mezarkabul--Moonspell--Mors.Principium.Est--Myrath--Ne.Obliviscaris--Nile--Nokturnal.Mortem--NorthTale--Novembers.Doom--Obscura--Old.Mans.Child--Opeth--Paladin--Poisonblack--Powerwolf--Primordial--Rapheumet's.Well--Raven--Rivers.Of.Nihil--Ryujin--Sabaton--Sadistic.Ritual--Samael--Satyricon--Savatage--Scale.the.Summit--Scorched.Moon--Septic.Flesh--Serious.Black--Seven.Spires--Sigh--Skalmold--Slough.Feg--Starkill--Steorrah--SYL--Suidakra--Summoning--Tarot--Therion--Thy.Serpent--Tomarum--Tomb.Mold--Turisas--Twilight.Force--Tyr--Vale.Of.Pnath--Valhalore--Vesania--Vintersorg--Wolfchant--Yyrkoon
  • meshuggah
    Ensign

by meshuggah » Sat Oct 26, 2019 4:23 pm

It's not gonna happen, but it would be a religious experience to see KING CRIMSON play a 3AM set under the stars on the pool deck. Also, no way Robert Fripp would agree to be stuck onbroad with 3000 metal maniacs.
    Cardest
    Midshipman

by Cardest » Sat Oct 26, 2019 4:49 pm

49 more bands to come.
    I hope a lot of these will be FIRST timers.
    There are so many bands out there.
    Look at the 20 Buck Spin label alone. Hardly any of those bands have been on broad.
    Just hope it isn't going to be a nostalgia cruise. Not just a 'highlights' cruise of 10yrs thing.
    Sortilege, Emperor - a good start.
    Epica - first time back since 2011.
    The others, like, ok...cool. But, I wonder if that's the reason many cabins are still available.

Wish list: Grand Magus, ARCTURUS, Borknagar, SIGH, Vastum, ABSU, Temple of Void, Frozen Crown, King Diamond/Mercyful Fate, Kawir, Vuur, Chthonic, Cemetery Urn, Tombs, Acid Witch, Slough Feg, Hammers of Misfortune
    cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Sat Oct 26, 2019 5:19 pm

EvilDan wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 6:12 am
    cowboy71 wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 3:47 pm ... something shitty like Kreator...
    :roll:
    Chill bro :P Was picking on Kreator per se, I was just using them as an example of a band starting with K that has been on multiple times before and they were just the first name that popped into my head. :P

I would be equally as underwhelmed if it was Korpiklaani. I actually like them but please, gimme a band that hasn't been on multiple times already!
    Upcoming Gigs:
    -/-Halestorm?-/-Fleshgod-Apocalypse-/-Scar-Symmetry-/-Wind-Rose-/-Unleash-The-Archers
    2025 Wishlist
    Ad-Infinitum-/-Aephanemer-/-All-For-Metal-/-Alterium-/-Ancient-Bards-/-Atlas-Pain-/-Avantasia-/-Battlelore-/Beast-In-Black-/-Believer-/-Beyond-The-Black-/-Brothers-of-Metal-/-Catalyst-Crime-/-Civil-War-/-Circus-Maximus-/-Claymorean-/-Cobra-Spell-/-Dark-Moor-/-Dark-Sarah-/-Dartagnan-/-Diabulus-In-Musica-/-Edguy-/-Ex-Libris-/-Exit-Eden-/-Fellowship-/-Follow-The-Cipher-/-Frozen-Crown-/-Galderia-/-Hammer-King-/-Heavatar-/-Ignea-/-Imperial-Age-/-In-This-Moment-/-Jaldaboath-/-Kaledon-/-Labyrinth-/-Living-Sacrifice-/-Metalite-/-Moonlight-Haze-/-Neopera-/-Nestor-/-Nocturna-/-Orden-Ogan-/-Pathfinder-/-Phantom-Elite-/-Poisonblack-/-Power-Paladin-/-Powerwolf-/-The-Privateer-/-Rexoria-/-Running-Wild-/-She-Wolf-/-Silver-Bullet-/-Sleeping-Romance-/-Sojourner-/-Tarot-/-Ten-/-Thaurorod-/-The-Big-Deal-/-The-Dark-Element-/-Trick-or-Treat-/-Trillium-/-Unisonic-/-Valhalore-/-Vanishing-Point-/-Volturian-/-Walk-In-Darkness-/-Within-Temptation
    cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Sat Oct 26, 2019 7:59 pm

Cardest wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 4:49 pm 49 more bands to come.
    Look at the 20 Buck Spin label alone. Hardly any of those bands have been on broad.
    Just hope it isn't going to be a nostalgia cruise. Not just a 'highlights' cruise of 10yrs thing.
    The others, like, ok...cool. But, I wonder if that's the reason many cabins are still available.
    Incorrect - this is Epica's third time.
    2 - First timers (Emperor, Sortilege)
    3 - Second timers (Candlemass 2012, Origin 2015, Wintersun 2015)
    6 - Third timers (Epica 2011/16, Haggard 2014/17, Einherjer 2015/17, Leaves Eyes 2014/18, Moonsorrow 2012/17, Venom 2012/17)
    Upcoming Gigs:
    -/-Halestorm?-/-Fleshgod-Apocalypse-/-Scar-Symmetry-/-Wind-Rose-/-Unleash-The-Archers
    2025 Wishlist
    Ad-Infinitum-/-Aephanemer-/-All-For-Metal-/-Alterium-/-Ancient-Bards-/-Atlas-Pain-/-Avantasia-/-Battlelore-/Beast-In-Black-/-Believer-/-Beyond-The-Black-/-Brothers-of-Metal-/-Catalyst-Crime-/-Civil-War-/-Circus-Maximus-/-Claymorean-/-Cobra-Spell-/-Dark-Moor-/-Dark-Sarah-/-Dartagnan-/-Diabulus-In-Musica-/-Edguy-/-Ex-Libris-/-Exit-Eden-/-Fellowship-/-Follow-The-Cipher-/-Frozen-Crown-/-Galderia-/-Hammer-King-/-Heavatar-/-Ignea-/-Imperial-Age-/-In-This-Moment-/-Jaldaboath-/-Kaledon-/-Labyrinth-/-Living-Sacrifice-/-Metalite-/-Moonlight-Haze-/-Neopera-/-Nestor-/-Nocturna-/-Orden-Ogan-/-Pathfinder-/-Phantom-Elite-/-Poisonblack-/-Power-Paladin-/-Powerwolf-/-The-Privateer-/-Rexoria-/-Running-Wild-/-She-Wolf-/-Silver-Bullet-/-Sleeping-Romance-/-Sojourner-/-Tarot-/-Ten-/-Thaurorod-/-The-Big-Deal-/-The-Dark-Element-/-Trick-or-Treat-/-Trillium-/-Unisonic-/-Valhalore-/-Vanishing-Point-/-Volturian-/-Walk-In-Darkness-/-Within-Temptation
    Sgt. B
    Lieutenant-Commander

by Sgt. B » Sat Oct 26, 2019 8:33 pm

Band #1 (Emperor) was a new comer. The next 9 bands were repeats.
    Band #11 (Sortilege) is a new comer. I wonder if the pattern will continue with 9 repeats upcoming?
    1914-Abbath-Aeon-Ahab-Akercocke-Alcest-AliceCooper-Alestorm-AmonAmarth-Amorphis-AnaalNathrakh-Anathema-AnnekeVanGeirsbergen/VUUR-ArmoredSaint-Asphyx-AtTheGates-Auðn-Ayreon-BarrenEarth-Behemoth-Be'lakor-BlackBreath-BlackFast-BlindGuardian-Borknagar-Brainstorm-CallenishCircle-Candlemass-CarpenterBrut-ChelseaWolfe-CirithUngol-Cloak-Conan-CravenIdol-Cruachan-CryptSermon-CultOfLuna-CutUp-DarkAngel-DarkFortress-DeadCongregation-DeathAngel-DemolitionHammer-Demons&Wizards-DevinTownsend-Dismember-DraggedIntoSunlight-Dyscarnate-EdgeOfSanity-ElectricWizard-Emperor-Enforcer-Enshine-Entombed-Entrails-EsotericUK-Evocation-Exodus-Evoken-Exhorder-Falkenbach-FatesWarning-Fen-Feral-Firespawn-Flotsam&Jetsam-ForgottenTomb-GeneralSurgery-Ghost-GhostBath-Ghoul-Godflesh-Gojira-Gorguts-Gorod-GrandMagus-Grave-GraveMiasma-GreenCarnation-Haemorrhage-HammersOfMisfortune-Hate-HighSpirits-HoodedMenace-Hypocrisy-IcedEarth-Ihsahn-Immolation-ImperiumDekadenz-InTheWoods-Incantation-InterArma-IronReagan-Izegrim-Kadavar-Kampfar-KeepOfKalessin-Khemmis-Khonsu-KingDiamond/MercyfulFate-KingGoat-Kriegsmaschine-LaazRockit-LacunaCoil-LegionOfTheDamned-LIK-LimbonicArt-Loudness-Lvcifyre(UK)-Manegarm-Melechesh-Memoriam-Mgla-MiseryIndex-Mistur-MonsterMagnet-Moonsorrow-Moonspell-MournfulCongregation-MunicipalWaste-MyDyingBride-Myrkur-MysticProphecy-Nails-Necrot-NovembersDoom-Novembre-NuclearAssault-Okera-Opeth-OrangeGoblin-OranssiPazuzu-Orchid-Overkill-PagansMind-Panopticon-Perturbator-Portal-Powerwolf-Primordial-Profetus-PowerTrip-Prong-Queensryche-RottenSound-RottingChrist-S.O.D.-Sabbat(UK)-SacredReich-Sanctuary-Saor-Sarke-Saturnus-Satyricon-Saxon-Schammasch-SecretsOfTheMoon-ShapeOfDespair-SkeletalRemains-Skeletonwitch-Skepticism-Skyclad-Skyforger-Sleep-SloughFeg-Solstafir-SufferingHour-SuicidalAngels-SulphurAeon-SvartCrown-Sylosis-TempleOfVoid-Testament-TheCrown-TheGathering-TheGreatOldOnes-TheHaunted-TheLurkingFear-TheOcean-TheRuinsOfBeverast-Therion-Thulcandra-Thyrfing-Tribulation-Triptykon-Uada-Ulcerate-Unleashed-Vader-Vemod-Vio-Lence-Visigoth-Voices(UK)-Vredehammer-Vreid-WakeTheDead-Watain-Wayfarer-Waylander-Windhand-Winterfylleth-Witherscape-WithinTemptation-Wolf-WolvesInTheThroneRoom-Yob-Zhrine

2012: Survivor
    2014: Survivor
    2015: Survivor
    2016: Survivor
    2017: Survivor
    2018: Survivor
    2019: Survivor
    2020: Survivor
    2023: Survivor
    2024: Survivor
    BtH(2012): Survivor
    Cardest
    Midshipman

by Cardest » Sat Oct 26, 2019 9:32 pm

cowboy71 wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 7:59 pm
    Cardest wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 4:49 pm 49 more bands to come.
    Incorrect - this is Epica's third time.
    2 - First timers (Emperor, Sortilege)
    3 - Second timers (Candlemass 2012, Origin 2015, Wintersun 2015)
    6 - Third timers (Epica 2011/16, Haggard 2014/17, Einherjer 2015/17, Leaves Eyes 2014/18, Moonsorrow 2012/17, Venom 2012/17)
    woopsy daisies!
    2016, Epica!
    I wasn't on that one. I thought this was their return.

Wish list: Grand Magus, ARCTURUS, Borknagar, SIGH, Vastum, ABSU, Temple of Void, Frozen Crown, King Diamond/Mercyful Fate, Kawir, Vuur, Chthonic, Cemetery Urn, Tombs, Acid Witch, Slough Feg, Hammers of Misfortune
    Cardest
    Midshipman

by Cardest » Sat Oct 26, 2019 9:33 pm

Sgt. B wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 8:33 pm Band #1 (Emperor) was a new comer. The next 9 bands were repeats.
    Band #11 (Sortilege) is a new comer. I wonder if the pattern will continue with 9 repeats upcoming?

9 more repeats in a row?
    Gosh I hope not.
    Even if they are awesome repeats!
    I love the smell of fresh meat!

Survivor:
    2020 (booked)

cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Sun Oct 27, 2019 2:00 am

Its good to be getting announcements but they are hardly setting the world on fire, either in terms of quality OR EVEN quantity.

After 8 days since they finally started, we've got 11 bands.

After the first 8 days for every cruise for the last 4 years we've known 20 bands......
    Upcoming Gigs:
    2025 Wishlist
    cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Sun Oct 27, 2019 2:50 am

The current title of this thread is too damn tempting :P

"How About Some Original French Witchcraft?"

I've held myself back but I could only do so for so long!

HOW ABOUT SOME BANDS THAT HAVE RELEASED NEW MATERIAL THIS CENTURY?

:P :lol:
    Upcoming Gigs:
    2025 Wishlist
  • rocking apple
    Crewman

by rocking apple » Sun Oct 27, 2019 3:08 am

YES !!!
  • Godflesh
    Ensign

by Godflesh » Sun Oct 27, 2019 3:09 am

cowboy71 wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 2:50 am The current title of this thread is too damn tempting :P

"How About Some Original French Witchcraft?"

I've held myself back but I could only do so for so long!

HOW ABOUT SOME BANDS THAT HAVE RELEASED NEW MATERIAL THIS CENTURY?

:P :lol:
    What I love with 70000 Tons of Metal is getting to watch bands I haven’t seen live, and new or unique shows.
    Oops, let me rephrase that.
    What I loved with 70000 Tons of Metal was getting to watch bands I hadn’t seen live, and new or unique shows.
    That’s why I’m not booking anymore, after 5 years.
  • Godflesh
    Ensign

by Godflesh » Sun Oct 27, 2019 3:16 am

rocking apple wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 3:08 am Even so, Survivors know that the cruise is about SO much more than just the bands. The camaraderie, the ship, the journey, and that feeling of being part of a global metal family.... Even with a ton of repeats, many -- most -- of us will come back.

YES !!!
    You’re right. I agree with you. But I’m not coming back for a ton of repeats.
    It’s the natural order of things, the young replace the old.
    How are those ~10 repeats in ~10 days working out for you?
    Amalu
    Chief Petty Officer

by Amalu » Sun Oct 27, 2019 4:58 am

Isn't that basically true for live performances in general? There are some bands I just love to see over and over. I've heard pretty much all the songs they are going to play live. Very rarely there is going to be something completely new. But, so what. I still love to see those bands live whenever possible.

Festivals in particular, I did not buy my tickets for 70k because of Epica (which I have missed anytime they where in my region so far) nor did I hesitate buying my WOA 2020 tickets although I have seen the headliner Judas Priest before.

By my calculations we had 469 bands (repeats or not) on all 70k's so far.
    @Statsman: How many individual bands there were is more in your league.

I'm just imagining that bands in the "never seen before"-category will be extremely difficult to find at this point. We all expect fairly well known bands for most of the line-up, right?
    Amalu
    Chief Petty Officer

by Amalu » Sun Oct 27, 2019 5:03 am

cowboy71 wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 2:50 am HOW ABOUT SOME BANDS THAT HAVE RELEASED NEW MATERIAL THIS CENTURY?
    My wife and I love those old bands. When they were playing new material live the last time, we were either not yet born or way to young to attend concerts. :mrgreen:
    Amalu
    Chief Petty Officer

by Amalu » Sun Oct 27, 2019 5:10 am

Godflesh wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 3:09 am
    What I loved with 70000 Tons of Metal was getting to watch bands I hadn’t seen live, and new or unique shows.
    That’s why I’m not booking anymore, after 5 years.
    I love 70000 Tons of Metal for being able to watch live Metal of different sub-genres on a cruise ship in the Caribbean with so many other cool people and being able to talk and hang out with those musicians during the cruise.

Honestly, WOA or Hellfest or Metal Days are way closer, way cheaper and offer more bands I've not seen live before. Could have that much easier then flying half across the world and spending almost an entire month pay for a luxury festival. ;)
  • rocking apple
    Crewman

by rocking apple » Sun Oct 27, 2019 11:18 am

We have Burg Herzberg Festival tickets for a few weeks, for 2020 - there is no Band released yet...
    In 2017, we bought Summer Breeze Tickets for three years - Club 666 - even without knowing what Bands are going to...
    Of course, I would like to have a Beer with Scott Vogel on the Bar...
    Talking with Yakir Schochat about Religion...
    To freak out to Iron Reagan...
    But - its the Ship
    The Community
    The Experience
    Thats so big...
    cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Sun Oct 27, 2019 2:49 pm

Amalu wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 5:03 am
    cowboy71 wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 2:50 am HOW ABOUT SOME BANDS THAT HAVE RELEASED NEW MATERIAL THIS CENTURY?
    My wife and I love those old bands. When they were playing new material live the last time, we were either not yet born or way to young to attend concerts. :mrgreen:
    Yeah it was more of a joke I couldn't resist than something I truly believe :)
    Upcoming Gigs:
    2025 Wishlist
    Amalu
    Chief Petty Officer

by Amalu » Sun Oct 27, 2019 2:53 pm

cowboy71 wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 2:49 pm
    Yeah it was more of a joke I couldn't resist than something I truly believe :)
    Hehe... Got it. I know it is very tempting. :mrgreen:

In all honesty: It would really be nice to have a new, fresh band. There is a lot of young talent around.
    Cardest
    Midshipman

by Cardest » Sun Oct 27, 2019 4:31 pm

Nothing since Saturday morning (Aus time) now.
    Maybe a certain someone has fallen to witchcraft. A spell.
    Trapped! Unable to post the next band!
    We only have a small K-lue as to the next band.
    Hanging to find out who this will be.

cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Sun Oct 27, 2019 4:52 pm

Cardest wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 4:31 pm Nothing since Saturday morning (Aus time) now.
    Maybe a certain someone has fallen to witchcraft. A spell.
    Trapped! Unable to post the next band!
    We only have a small K-lue as to the next band.
    Hanging to find out who this will be.
    I imagine the team are swamped - processing Gold THEN Silver THEN public all in a matter of days must cause a hell of a backlog, even if sales do appear slower than previous years.

They wouldn't want to announce anything that might cause an increased number of bookings just yet so possibly announcements will be slow for the next week or so but then pick up again. HOPEFULLY!
    Upcoming Gigs:
    2025 Wishlist
  • Jotunheimr
    Midshipman

by Jotunheimr » Sun Oct 27, 2019 5:25 pm

Last week, we had no announcements on Sunday or Monday. We might get something tomorrow.

*insert post about Andy having no method to his madness and that everything is pure speculation at this point*
    2015: 6511
    2016: 7455
    2020: 3240
    2025:

2024 Gigs: Tyr&Trollfest-/-Korpiklaani-/-Firewind-/-Kamelot-/-Exhumed-/-AmonAmarth

Wishlist: AdornedBrood-/-Alestorm-/-Arcturus-/-Arkona-/-Arsis-/-Artension-/-BeastInBlack-/-Blackguard-/-BlackMessiah-/-Borknagar-/-Carcass-/-CarpathianForest-/-CircleIICircle-/-Crownshift-/-Cruachan-/-Cryptosis-/-Dalriada-/-DerWegEinerFreiheit-/-DimmuBorgir-/-Einherjer-/-Eluveitie-/-Elvenking-/-Ensiferum-/-Enslaved-/-Equilibrium-/-Falconer-/-Falkenbach-/-Fejd-/-Feuerschwanz-/-Finntroll-/-Finsterforst-/-Firewind-/-FleshgodApocalypse-/-Folkearth-/-Forefather-/-Gåte-/-Glittertind-/-Gorguts-/-Haggard-/-HarakiriForTheSky-/-Heidevolk-/-Isengard-/-JonOlivasPain-/-Kampfar-/-KingOfAsgard-/-KivimetsanDruidi-/-Korpiklaani-/-Krisiun-/-LornaShore-/-Lumsk-/-Manegarm-/-Metsatoll-/-Mithotyn-/-Moonsorrow-/-Moonspell-/-Necrophagist-/-Nightwish-/-OfTheWandAndTheMoon-/-Otyg-/-Primordial-/-RiotV-/-RottingChrist-/-Sabaton-/-Savatage-/-SevenSpires-/-Skalmold-/-Skiltron-/-Skyforger-/-Sodom-/-Solstafir-/-Spellblast-/-SpiritsOfFire-/-SteelPanther-/-Svartsot-/-Swashbuckle-/-Testament-/-TheBlackDahliaMurder-/-TheHaunted-/-Thorondir-/-Thyrfing-/-ToxicHolocaust-/-Trollfest-/-Turisas-/-Tyr-/-Ulver-/-Varg-/-Verikalpa-/-Vintersorg-/-Warmen-/-Wintersun-/-Wolfchant
    Amalu
    Chief Petty Officer

by Amalu » Mon Oct 28, 2019 1:28 am

cowboy71 wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 4:52 pm They wouldn't want to announce anything that might cause an increased number of bookings just yet so possibly announcements will be slow for the next week or so but then pick up again. HOPEFULLY!
    I kind of doubt that. My reasoning being the fact that UMC is now making Facebook advertising for Round X. I'm pretty sure they want this thing to sell out asap.

Announcements are just Andy being Andy. It's weekend and he rarely posts anything on weekends. ;)
    I'll bet we get something today or tomorrow.
    cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Mon Oct 28, 2019 1:59 am

Amalu wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 1:28 am
    cowboy71 wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 4:52 pm They wouldn't want to announce anything that might cause an increased number of bookings just yet so possibly announcements will be slow for the next week or so but then pick up again. HOPEFULLY!
    I kind of doubt that. My reasoning being the fact that UMC is now making Facebook advertising for Round X. I'm pretty sure they want this thing to sell out asap.

Announcements are just Andy being Andy. It's weekend and he rarely posts anything on weekends. ;)
    I'll bet we get something today or tomorrow.
    I actually tend to agree with you. If you look at the available cabin categories left, there is nothing (after taxes) under $US2,000 per person.

Anyone that hadn't already committed to doing 70k, is gonna struggle to get that kind of money (and all the extra money required for travel etc!) in a short time frame so Andy really needs to get people booking NOW.

So make with the big announcements skipper!! (several from my signature would be a good start)
    Upcoming Gigs:
    2025 Wishlist
    Amalu
    Chief Petty Officer

by Amalu » Mon Oct 28, 2019 4:01 am

cowboy71 wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 1:59 am I actually tend to agree with you. If you look at the available cabin categories left, there is nothing (after taxes) under $US2,000 per person.
    Yeah, there are not too many people able to pay $3k+ more or less spontaneously. Some can, for sure, but getting those to book will not be too easy.
    On the other hand. UMC often gives cheaper rooms to bands or even press (bands are often in promenade view and similar). They might switch bands into more expansive cabins and sell the cheaper onces, if need be.

cowboy71 wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 1:59 am(several from my signature would be a good start)
    I will have to agree with you on this. But you already know that our taste in bands is quite similar. ;)
    Cardest
    Midshipman

by Cardest » Mon Oct 28, 2019 4:05 am

I agree with you both ^
    Amalu and Stats.

To get the rest of the world to go "Whoaaaaaa" and snap dem cabins up, is that
    I am sticking to my prediction we'll have Judas Priest on broad 2020!!

• metalforever
    Chief Petty Officer

by metalforever » Mon Oct 28, 2019 6:56 am

How about these bands for first timers on the boat :shred:
    ANTESTOR
    LIVING SACRIFICE
    TOURNIQUET
    PENTAGRAM
    acidbasement
    Chief Petty Officer

by acidbasement » Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:03 am

If I think about the first time I went, in 2015, it was in April that Blind Guardian and Therion were announced, and those bands made me book. I was able to commit because I had time to prepare.

I think it would be harder for noobs to commit for this year based on bands alone, because a) it's a lot more money, and b) there's a lot less lead time to book vacation and save up.
    I'm only here to do two things: play the bagpipes and gargle sulphuric acid. Looks like we're almost out of acid.
  • Phoenix
    Lieutenant

by Phoenix » Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:22 am

In 2014 (for 2015's cruise), I caved to some intense peer pressure from the vast metal scene in Calgary to give 70k a try. I was fresh out of university and only just branching out as a metalhead, but I booked a single ticket the day before I joined the forum. There are worse ways to find yourself, I figured.

If I tried that this year, though, I'd be paying close to 1900 Canadian dollars. That's basically an entire paycheque, and I make a lot for Canadian metal standards. Not a lot of people doing that this time around.

Survivor:
    Out for 2023
    Amalu
    Chief Petty Officer

by Amalu » Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:29 am

Phoenix wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:22 am If I tried that this year, though, I'd be paying close to 1900 Canadian dollars. That's basically an entire paycheque, and I make a lot for Canadian metal standards. Not a lot of people doing that this time around.
    That is exactly why I am thinking. My wife and I have an okay combined paycheck for Swiss standards, not very high and not very low either. Cabin, hotels and flights ist now at around 5.000$ for both of us. We can barely afford this without having to save up extra for the 70k.
    But there are a lot of countries where being able to spend 5.000$ on a spontaneous decision is only for the very top upper class.

Now considering that all there is left are expansive rooms... There is a hell of a lot of people that are excluded just due to price.
    On the other hand. 70k is one, if not THE most expansive Metal festival you can attend, regardless of where you are from. So yeah... it definitely was and is never for really all social classes.
    ZarTh_Vader
    Oiler

by ZarTh_Vader » Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:41 am

Amalu wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:29 am
    Phoenix wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:22 am If I tried that this year, though, I'd be paying close to 1900 Canadian dollars. That's basically an entire paycheque, and I make a lot for Canadian metal standards. Not a lot of people doing that this time around.
    That is exactly why I am thinking. My wife and I have an okay combined paycheck for Swiss standards, not very high and not very low either. Cabin, hotels and flights ist now at around 5.000$ for both of us. We can barely afford this without having to save up extra for the 70k.
    But there are a lot of countries where being able to spend 5.000$ on a spontaneous decision is only for the very top upper class.

Now considering that all there is left are expansive rooms... There is a hell of a lot of people that are excluded just due to price.
    On the other hand. 70k is one, if not THE most expansive Metal festival you can attend, regardless of where you are from. So yeah... it definitely was and is never for really all social classes.
    I understand it is a lot of $$ to come up with in a short period of time as we have this year, but if you were planing on coming, and you waited for announcements (booking and/or bands) to start saving, you've got only yourself to blame. If it is a spontaneous decision, well then put on credit card and pay it during the year.
    Amalu
    Chief Petty Officer

by Amalu » Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:56 am

ZarTh_Vader wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:41 am I understand it is a lot of $$ to come up with in a short period of time as we have this year, but if you were planing on coming, and you waited for announcements (booking and/or bands) to start saving, you've got only yourself to blame. If it is a spontaneous decision, well then put on credit card and pay it during the year.
    I get you. I think what we are all trying to say here is: You either have to be quite wealthy OR have planned on coming for some time. All those who have been planning this for some time already have their tickets, right? All who are starting to think of right now will have a very hard time. Not much bands announced, not much time and only expansive cabins left.
  • Phoenix
    Lieutenant

by Phoenix » Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:08 am

ZarTh_Vader wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:41 am I understand it is a lot of $$ to come up with in a short period of time as we have this year, but if you were planing on coming, and you waited for announcements (booking and/or bands) to start saving, you've got only yourself to blame. If it is a spontaneous decision, well then put on credit card and pay it during the year.
    No, for sure. But I was using MY specific example, where I wasn't saving for anything and just decided to go. No one's doing that this year, I'd wager.

Though it would have been nice if prices were posted earlier, for those people who are trying to save up. That way they'd know the range. If someone had only gone off available information, they may not have known how much to save up for. That and the lack of cheap cabins by the time public sales roll around can't make that easy, right?

Survivor:
    Out for 2023
  • deathmetalpat
    Ensign

by deathmetalpat » Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:24 am

Jotunheimr wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 5:25 pm Last week, we had no announcements on Sunday or Monday. We might get something tomorrow.

*insert post about Andy having no method to his madness and that everything is pure speculation at this point*
    Except for an outlier or 2 ,just like Brenda Spencer 70k doesn’t like Mondays.If you remove an opening batch of announcements and days like this year (the cruise starts on Tuesday,I expect a lot of activity with bands on the Monday before),may 5% (that is probably really high) of the bands were announced on a Monday.I have no idea if this is the case but the Chinese have a heavy influence on Vancouver and they don’t do Monday either.
    2012-14 Survivor
    2015-16 Abandoned Ship
    2017 Returned
    2018 Got a bad feeling about this Abandon Ship
    2019 This is Fucking Ridiculous
    2020 Bands ,what bands boat is all that matters
    2021 Yeah this isn’t happening
    acidbasement
    Chief Petty Officer

by acidbasement » Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:26 am

ZarTh_Vader wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:41 am
    I understand it is a lot of $$ to come up with in a short period of time as we have this year, but if you were planing on coming, and you waited for announcements (booking and/or bands) to start saving, you've got only yourself to blame. If it is a spontaneous decision, well then put on credit card and pay it during the year.
    Yeah, and I've been planning to go every year regardless of bands, ever since I went the first time. But for people who don't know what they're missing, 70K has a difficult time convincing newcomers to attend based on bands alone when they start announcements and booking so late. It's not so much a "you've only got yourself to blame", because we survivors know we're going to have a great time. It's more a "70K needs to sell a lot of tickets because their overhead is really high", and they're going to have a hard time doing that this year because of timing.
    I'm only here to do two things: play the bagpipes and gargle sulphuric acid. Looks like we're almost out of acid.
  • Ti7aNiC
    Crewman

by Ti7aNiC » Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:48 am

The boat is more $$$, but I don't think it's unreasonably more expensive.

My first year, 2016, and every subsequent year, I got in on Gold bookings, so I've always received that 10% off. From 2017 on I've always paid in full for that additional 5% off. All 4 previous sails I was in the cheapest interior quad, although this year I've booked into the cheapest interior double. However, for the below I'll calculate it as if this year/all five years were the cheapest interior quad.

Year - Advertised Price (USD) - Cabin Cost After Discount (USD) - Taxes & Charges (USD) - UMC Total (USD) - Total Billed (CAD)
    2016 - $666 - $599.40 - $348.00 - $947.40 - $1,186.84
    2017 - $733 - $623.05 - $369.00 - $992.05 - $1,306.39
    2018 - $766 - $651.10 - $379.00 - $1,030.10 - $1,365.82
    2019 - $766 - $651.10 - $423.00 - $1,074.10 - $1,412.98
    2020 - $833 - $708.05 - $448.00 - $1,156.05 - $1,509.21

So, the cruise is only costing someone looking for their cheapest option $200 USD more than it did 5 years ago. Between inflation, a massively successful venture, and the increase in costs which should help translate to bigger and better bands - I'd say this is totally on par with what I'd expect. This also my assumptions with the price jump from when the Majesty was chartered.

The cabin cost has been increasing by $33 USD/year average. The Taxes & Charges by $20 USD/year average. Although I do see that some of the other cabins on the ship have more strange price fluctuations...
    Survivor:
    70K 2016, 70K 2017, 70K 2018, 70K 2019, & 70K 2020
    70K 2023?

C A P E   B R E T O N
    C A N A D A

#fuckNewguyme
    Pellaz
    Lieutenant

by Pellaz » Mon Oct 28, 2019 12:29 pm

acidbasement wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:26 am
    ZarTh_Vader wrote: Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:41 am
    Yeah, and I've been planning to go every year regardless of bands, ever since I went the first time. But for people who don't know what they're missing, 70K has a difficult time convincing newcomers to attend based on bands alone when they start announcements and booking so late. It's not so much a "you've only got yourself to blame", because we survivors know we're going to have a great time. It's more a "70K needs to sell a lot of tickets because their overhead is really high", and they're going to have a hard time doing that this year because of timing.
    Yep, this exactly. By now, everyone who was committed to going -- and who tried to save up money for it, in most of those cases -- is booked. I think the cutoff for making use of the installment payment-plan is Nov. 4th. After THAT.... Whew. As many have said, this is not an inexpensive junket.

It'll be interesting to see if 70K can come up with some big names to stoke interest, and they have to do so SOOOOOOOON.
    If not, then a sellout is much less likely. And cruises with significantly less cabins sold -- BtH, PNAS -- don't return.
    2025 Wishlist:
Post Reply 2037 posts