• mjb7e
    Oiler

Re: Who are you? Introduce yourself!

by mjb7e » Tue Aug 30, 2016 1:22 pm

City/country:
    Hartford, CT, USA

Age (optional):

What first got you into metal?
    My cousin played me Blizzard of Ozz on her turntable. I'm still into metal and she's now an fundamentalist Christian!

Play any instruments?
    Played bass in a high school cover band. Iron Maiden, Metallica, Megadeth, Jane's Addiction, Faith No More, RHCP, Zeppelin, etc. I still have a sweet Steve Harris Fender P-Bass, but haven't played seriously in many, many years. Sad, really.

Top 5 bands?
    Iron Maiden
    Blind Guardian
    Dark Tranquillity
    Amon Amarth
    Light This City
    Alestorm
    Faith No More
    Mr. Bungle
    Fantomas
    Old-school thrash
    I hate "top 5" lists.

What do you do?
    Educational research. Statistics. SQL programming.

What deck are you on?
    Deck 7
    Pellaz
    Lieutenant

by Pellaz » Wed Aug 31, 2016 1:11 pm

blackmortum wrote:What first got you into metal?
    Started with ACDC / Iron Maiden / Metallica / Hendrix tapes that my older brother had when I was 9. Then extreme metal was nailed when I first heard the Mortal Kombat Movie soundtrack when I was 11. Napalm Death kicked my ass!

That soundtrack sold over a million copies in the U.S. (certified platinum), which is pretty good when you consider it had the likes of Napalm Death and Fear Factory on it. Amazing record and awesomely diverse.
    (It also has my friends' old band Mutha's Day Out on it, so it has a special place for me. :lol: )
    2025 Wishlist:
    1349--Abbath--Abigail.Williams--Aephanemer--Agalloch--Agathodaimon--Alien.Weaponry--Allegaeon--Amon.Amarth--Amorphis--Animals.As.Leaders--Arkona--Arsis--Atrocity--Ayreon--Bal.Sagoth--Baroness--Barren.Earth--Battlelore--Behemoth--Below.7--Belzebubs--Be'lakor--Black.Crown.Initiate--Bloodbath--Borknagar--Broken.Trinity--Cannibal.Corpse--Chthe'ilist--CoF--Countless.Skies--Cynic--Demons.&.Wizards--Dimmu.Borgir--Dark.Tranquillity--Dragonforce--Edge.of.Sanity--Witherscape--anything.Dan.Swano--Eluveitie--Eneferens--Ensiferum--Enslaved--Eternal.Tears.of.Sorrow--Evergrey--Exmortus--Ex.Deo--Fear.Factory--Fires.In.the.Distance--Gojira--Graveworm--Green.Carnation--Hypocrisy--Immortal--Insomnium--Irreversible.Mechanism--Kalmah--Kamelot--Keep.Of.Kalessin--Korpiklaani--Kreator--Leprous--Luciferan.Light.Orchestra--Loss--Melechesh--Meshuggah--Mezarkabul--Moonspell--Mors.Principium.Est--Myrath--Ne.Obliviscaris--Nile--Nokturnal.Mortem--NorthTale--Novembers.Doom--Obscura--Old.Mans.Child--Opeth--Paladin--Poisonblack--Powerwolf--Primordial--Rapheumet's.Well--Raven--Rivers.Of.Nihil--Ryujin--Sabaton--Sadistic.Ritual--Samael--Satyricon--Savatage--Scale.the.Summit--Scorched.Moon--Septic.Flesh--Serious.Black--Seven.Spires--Sigh--Skalmold--Slough.Feg--Starkill--Steorrah--SYL--Suidakra--Summoning--Tarot--Therion--Thy.Serpent--Tomarum--Tomb.Mold--Turisas--Twilight.Force--Tyr--Vale.Of.Pnath--Valhalore--Vesania--Vintersorg--Wolfchant--Yyrkoon
    2015-2020; 2023-2024: Survivor
    2025: most likely
    blackmortum
    Wiper

by blackmortum » Thu Sep 01, 2016 5:44 pm

Pellaz wrote:
    Started with ACDC / Iron Maiden / Metallica / Hendrix tapes that my older brother had when I was 9. Then extreme metal was nailed when I first heard the Mortal Kombat Movie soundtrack when I was 11. Napalm Death kicked my ass!

That soundtrack sold over a million copies in the U.S. (certified platinum), which is pretty good when you consider it had the likes of Napalm Death and Fear Factory on it. Amazing record and awesomely diverse.
    (It also has my friends' old band Mutha's Day Out on it, so it has a special place for me. :lol: )

HAHAHAA oh shit for real? That muthas day out track cracks me up. Certainly an amazing sound track start to end!
  • MetalMatt
    Oiler

by MetalMatt » Thu Sep 01, 2016 11:49 pm

City/country:
    Sydney Australia

Age (optional):
    31 (turning 32 for 70,000 tons

Seeing pantera on TV on a show called video smash hits back in 1994. I haven't looked back since.

Play any instruments?
    I play guitar. Used to play in a couple of punk and metal bands back at school

Top 5 bands?

5 Blood Red Throne
    4 Amaranthe
    3 Hardcore Superstar
    2 Faith No More
    1 Volbeat

What do you do?
    Aside from doing a day job in sales, I host a metal community radio show called "Beneath The Remains" and DJ at an alternative music club called "Aftershock" plus the occasional dj gigs at weddings, parties etc

What deck are you on?

I'm travelling alone and this will be my first 70,000 tons cruise. I have had friends go on it before and say how amazing it is. The lineup is fantastic so far :metalguy:
    Metalor
    Oiler

by Metalor » Sun Sep 04, 2016 1:17 pm

Woah! This is a cool (long thread). Thought I'd jump on board.

Name:
    Courtney ( I'm a guy - just have a girls name :D )

City/country:
    Auckland - New Zealand

Umm.. when I was a kid, I loved music. I mean, fucking loved music. I remember being 4 or 5 listening to my aunty's Meatloaf cassette tape over and over. I listened to all the rock that was around on the radio. I loved Greenday (oh the shame) and my dad took me to my very first concert of theirs when I was 10. I heard Tool (don't like them anymore) when I was 12 which I consider as a stepping stone for me into metal. Then I started at a new school around 14 and someone (now a good friend who's coming on the cruise!) showed me Iron Maiden and Megadeth and from then I was hooked and it took over my life. Now I live and breathe metal.

Play any instruments?
    I used to play guitar but stopped playing and moved onto singing. Absolutely love the feeling I get from belting out notes so it was a natural transition.

Top 10 bands?
    Ahh fuck, this is hard.. there's so many. I'll just list some that have had a huge influence on me:

Blind Guardian
    Lost Horizon
    Kreator
    Emperor
    Nile
    Behemoth
    Primal Fear
    Rhapsody
    Luciferion
    Dragonforce
    Wintersun
    Have to have Manowar in there too!

What do you do?
    I just had a career ( I fucking hate the term 'career') change - have been working as a software developer for 7 months now and love it.

Outside of work I'm a pretty keen gamer (been playing way too much Overwatch) and love tinkering with tech/computer shit. I play (sing) in a power metal band Stormforge http://stormforge.bandcamp.com/ here in Auckland, with my mate, Blackmortum who posted above me. The band is my main focus outside of work - we've done some cool shows so far opening for Iced Earth and Dragonforce being a couple of the best moments of my life, so the effort is all worth it!

What deck are you on?

Something you can say that will freak me out:
    Not really freaky but I once pissed the bed next to my ex-girlfriend, then promptly walked down the hallway to the spare room where my brother was sleeping, finished my toilet activities by urinating in his bag then got into bed with him, all while I was asleep! :wank: I feel sorry for my cabin mate.
    CyBeRiaNO
    Wiper

by CyBeRiaNO » Tue Oct 11, 2016 10:14 am

City/country:
    Cordoba, Argentina

Age (optional):

Oh that was a very long time ago. A metalhead friend introduces me when I was 12 or 13 years old with Metallica, Megadeath, Black Sabbath.
    I will never forget when I listen to fear factory's (new album in that time) Demanufacture blows my mind so hard!!

Play any instruments?
    Guitar is my main instrument (I play in a local band called "Necropolis"), but I used to play drums, darbuka and keyboards. Also I like so much play and experiment with iPad instruments / controllers

Top 5 bands?
    Opeth
    Septic Flesh
    Orphaned Land
    Wintersun
    Hypocrisy

What do you do?
    I'm PHP, Javascript Developer, I have a digital marketing company with a partner for about 12 years now.

What deck are you on?
    D1 balcony

I'm so fucking excited, I can't wait to be there! :belly: :belly: :belly: :shred:
    CyBeRiaNO
    Wiper

by CyBeRiaNO » Tue Oct 11, 2016 10:18 am

Gutterchild7 wrote:Name:
    Maria Silvina

City/country:
    C.A.B.A., Buenos Aires, Argentina

Age (optional):
    25 (birthday on November 17th (?))

My brother, not having a computer and sharing his turned me into his music. We both have a pretty taste for almost every kind of music, so he had all his music on folders with labels such as "metal", "punk", "ska", "rock", etc... then I went into the "metal" folder and found myself with Sonata Arctica, Hammerfall, Nightwish, Tierra Santa and Mägo de Oz. Was about eleven y.o. back then.

Play any instruments?
    Nope, I can sing (I sing since I was 2 y.o. or so)... I mean, I do not propperly studied, but singing every day of my life gave me something like "a little control" over my voice blah blah blah.

Top whatever bands?
    Metal: Kamelot, Nightwish, Delain, Amaranthe, Avantasia.
    Others: Liza Minnelli, Led Zeppelin, Memphis La Blusera, Virus, Soda Stereo, JAF (Juan Antonio Ferreyra), Dido, Gackt.

What do you do?
    Study for becoming an english teacher (and my english sucks, fuck). Work as accountable assistant at a studio.
    Hobbies: Aerial silk, artistic skating (it's like ice skating but on wheels instead), kart racing (I'm not a racing pilot, but grew with races and cars around me so I go and race from time to time), reading comics (and not only Marvel/DC ones).

What deck are you on?
    7! Fav number.

Wish-list for 70K's present and future:
    I don't remember which bands NEVER were on board since this is my first cruise... BUT I guess Ayreon NEVER was on so... There, a cruise with them would be nice.

I like to wear "common clothes" instead of metal band t-shirts and black stuff... Planning to get on board dressing like I'm lost and that's not my boat (?!?!?!). I don't know things that would freak you out!

Que bueno ver argentinos allá. Nosotros somos 5 que vamos desde Córdoba :D

Nos vemos ahi, llevamos fernet! :P
    Metalor
    Oiler

by Metalor » Tue Oct 11, 2016 4:06 pm

CyBeRiaNO wrote:
    Wintersun

:shred:
    CyBeRiaNO
    Wiper

by CyBeRiaNO » Tue Oct 11, 2016 9:34 pm

Metalor wrote:
    CyBeRiaNO wrote:
    Wintersun

:shred:

Oh fuckyeah! Jari Maempaa is awesome.
    He is my idol since Ensiferum (about 15 years ago!) :wank:
    There is a rumour that they will gonna play again this year, I hope so! :death:
    Zed3
    Petty Officer

by Zed3 » Wed Oct 12, 2016 7:04 am

Name:
    Romain (also used to being called "Roman" as it's easier and sounds better in Romanian and English !)

City/country:
    French (from Lyon) but now living in Chisinau, Moldova

Age (optional):

Wasn't quite metal, more like alternative rock, at first but I still remember the scene, it was sometine in '94, we were eating dinner with my father and brother while listening to the radio show "Les inrockuptibles" and they played the cover of Joy Division's "Isolation" by Therapy? from their "Troublegum" album and since then i've been hooked to that band !
    Then I progressively started listening to more "metally" bands. The first 2 "real" metal albums I ever remember buying were "Elegy" from Amorphis and "Theli" from Therion, two of my favorite bands, so imagine how excited I am to have them both on the cruise (even though I already waw them live, once for Amorphis and twice for Therion).

Play any instruments?
    Nope

Top (not-just-metal) bands?
    Therapy?
    Therion
    Amorphis
    Nightwish
    Slayer
    Body count
    Amon Amarth

What do you do?
    Full stack web dev (freelance now after co-running a company for a while)

What deck are you on?

Really looking forward to the first cruise ! \m/
    2017: Survivor - 2024: hoping I'll be back onboard

Wishlist 2024:
    ...And.Oceans-/-Aephanemer-/-Aeternam-/-Aether.Realm-/-Amon.Amarth-/-Andy.Gillion-/-Animalize-/-Avatarium-/-Be'lakor-/-Belzebubs-/-Bloodywood-/-Brothers.of.Metal-/-Brymir-/-Bucovina-/-Dawn.of.Solace-/-Destinity-/-Dirty.Shirt-/-Diviner-/-Dordeduh-/-Equilibrium-/-Eternal.Champion-/-Frozen.Crown-/-Frozen.Dawn-/-Fvneral.Fvkk-/-Ghoultown-/-High.Command-/-Immortal-/-In.Mourning-/-Kalmah-/-Konvent-/-Lagerstein-/-Majestica-/-Mantar-/-Moonspell-/-Municipal.Waste-/-Myrkur-/-Nanowar.of.Steel-/-Necrophobic-/-Nestor-/-Night.Demon-/-Orden.Ogan-/-Paladin.(atl)-/-Paradise.Lost-/-Serenity-/-Significant.Point-/-Steelbourne-/-Stormkeep-/-Tankard-/-The.Halo.Effect-/-The.Night.Flight.Orchestra-/-Therapy?-/-Therion-/-Tower.(nyc)-/-Undrask-/-Unleash.the.Archers-/-Vanden.Plas-/-Wilderun-/-Wind.Rose-/-Wizdoom-/-Xaon
    SnagglePuss
    Wiper

by SnagglePuss » Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:18 am

City/Country:
    KCMO, USA

My parents weren't big music people, so growing up I mostly heard soft rock/top 40 type stuff. I started really getting into music more in high school though still mainly dance/pop/rock type stuff and then friends and the Napster explosion broadened my tastes exponentially. Say what you will about online file-sharing, but without it, I'd have never bought the albums that I did or become a metal head.

Play any instruments?
    Not as yet, though I'm trying to motivate myself to learn to play the piano. I also have an interest in guitar and turntables (metal and trance/goa are my top genres)

Top Bands:
    Avantasia
    Blind Guardian
    Delain
    In Flames (pre-RtR in particular)
    Nightwish

What I does:
    Licensed drug dealer (pharmacist).

Deck:

One Weird Thing:
    Went to my first concert ever at age 33 (Def Leppard, Styx, Tesla). I'm a (very) late bloomer.
    TPH
    Chief Petty Officer

by TPH » Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:15 am

City/country:
    French guy from parisian suburbs, living in Dublin (Ireland) since a few years now.

Age (optional):

I always loved hearing music for as long as I can remember. The true original shock was when my big brother brought home a cassette, that a friend gave him at school. It was Vulgar Display of Power, I was 10 at the time, was completely blown away and never looked back since.

Play any instruments?
    Played drums for almost 10 years before having to give up, trying to pick up guitar and bass at the moment.

Top 5 bands?
    Opeth
    Strapping Young Lad
    Testament
    Deftones
    Most Devin Townsend solo stuff

What do you do?
    Network engineer/architect. Cisco, Juniper, this kind of nerd shit.

What deck are you on?

For this year, we fuckin' need Dark Tranquillity to be there, and In Flames to be NOT there. Anything with Gene Hoglan is more than welcome, we already have Testament, bring Dethklok and/or Dark Angel as well!

Well, you CAN find stuff that will freak me out, but you'll probably have to go way beyond what is considered socially acceptable. And/or remind me that I went to a Linkin Park show (it was in Paris just after their first album came out, nobody bought tickets so their label literally gave free tickets to everyone, I thought "I don't know them at all but it's free, why not"...should have stayed home and watch Buffy on TV).
    Wacken 2003
    Fury Fest 2004-2005, Hellfest 2006 to 2023
    70K 2017 - cabin 2250
    70K 2018 - cabin 8215
    70K 2019 - cabin 10xxx (can't fucking remember)
    DrinkMoxie
    Commander

Re: Who are you?

by DrinkMoxie » Sun Jan 08, 2017 2:46 pm

this will be my 4th 70k Tons, and I haven't done this in half a decade, let's update:

I answer to Bill, still

I still live near Pittsburgh, PA, but there's a chance I'll be relocating this year... we'll see what happens. I hail from the bitter frozen north.

I'm 38... it's crazy, I have no idea where the years have gone.

I got into metal very young because the cool older kids that lived down the street were my idols.

I used to play voice, but gave it up to work and earn income.

Top 5 bands (currently): Ne Obliviscaris, Borknagar, Testament, Sam Black Church, Unleash The Archers

I have a full time job in the travel industry... but far more interesting is my other job, you can see me on WGN's Outsiders, which stars David Morse, Ryan Hurst, Kyle Gallner and others... it's pretty great!

no clue which deck I'll be on this time

if you want to creep me out you'll have to get creative...
    ACanorousQuintet-AblazeMySorrow-Acrassicauda-Aephanemer-Agalloch-Alligator-Amsvartner-Anacrusis-Anata-...AndOceans-AngelusApatrida-ArmoredSaint-Atoma-Bal*Sagoth-Bethzaida-BlackEarth-BlackKirin-BoltThrower-Borknagar-BurdenOfGrief-BuriedDreams-CallenishCircle-Candiria-CarBomb-Carcariass-CardinalSin-CarnalForge-CeremonialOath-Cloak-ComposMentis-ConditionCritical-Conjurer-CrestOfDarkness-Crisis-Crisix-Crowpath-Cryptosis-Cyclone-Dagon-Damaged-DarkAngel-Darkane-DaylightDies-Deadguy-Deep-DemolitionHammer-DescendIntoNothingness-DestroyJudas-Devastation-Devil'sForce-DewScented-DimensionF3H-DimensionZero-Dispatched-Downpour-Dyscarnate-EbonyTears-EdgeOfSanity-End-EndOfGreen-EphelDuath-EpochOfUnlight-EternalLies-EternalTearsOfSorrow-Eucharist-Euphoreon-Excretion-Exhorder-EyesOfFire-FiresInTheDistance-Firewind-Flying-Folkearth-FragmentsOfUnbecoming-FrostyEve-Gardenian-GatesOfIshtar-Gnostic-GodForbid-Gojira-GospelOfTheWitches-Graveripper-GreenCarnation-GreySkiesFallen-Greywalker-Grimfist-Hacride-Hinayana-Host-Hypocrisy-Illogicist-Impious-In~Quest-InThousandLakes-InThyDreams-InsanityAlert-Itself-Jaldaboath-JulieLaughsNomore-Kull-LakeOfTears-LegionOfTheDamned-LightThisCity-LordHumungous-Majesties-ManipulatedSlaves-MeadowsEnd-MentalHome-Mindrot-Minsk-Miscreant-MMXX-MorbidSaint-Morgion-MortalVision-MotherOfAll-MyHiddenSin-Myrath-NailWithin-NeglectedFields-Neurosis-NightInGales-Nightfall-Norther-Nostromo-Nothgard-Nothnegal-November17-Nyktophobia-Onslaught-Oubliette-Powerwolf-PreHumanVaults-ReArmed-RedHarvest-RitualSacrifice-RiverBlack-Sacrifice-Sadus-SamBlackChurch-Scarve-Seducer'sEmbrace-SevendayCurse-Shadow-ShadowsFall-Shangren-ShoresOfIthaka-Sigh-Sikasa-Silva-SinsOfOmission-SkidRow(w/SebastianBach)-Skyfire-Slumber-Solefald-SolemnVision-Solstice-SpiralArchitect-StarViper-SubterraneanMasquerade-SuicidalTendencies-TerraOdium-Terror2000-Testament-TheAbsence-TheCircle-TheCrown-TheForsaken-TheExcrementoryGrindfuckers-TheZephyr-ThisEnding-Tribulation-UnleashTheArchers-UponStone-ViciousBlade-Vinterland-Vintersorg-Warmen-Whispered-Whitesnake-WhiteZombie-WitheredBeauty-WitheringSurface-Witherscape-WithoutGrief-Wraith-XCops-Xentrix-Zimmer'sHole

cabin 3013 (2012)
    cabin 9560 (2014)
    cabin 8671 (2015)
    cabin 7313 (2017)
    cabin 6525 (2018)
    cabin 2376 (2024)
    MettalMiranda
    Oiler

by MettalMiranda » Sun Jan 08, 2017 5:27 pm

City/country:
    Pittsburgh , PA USA from Maine

Age (optional):

I loved Metallica , Black sabbath , Krocus and of course Iron maiden and dio . But what really made me excited and look into more underground metal was my first boyfriend who is a walking music book . His love for metal and other genre's and just .. excitement about music is what later got me into promoting underground and independant artists from around the world . I love thrash esp. the early 80's stuff but also melodic death metal and folk.

Play any instruments?
    Played bass for a while , really would love to learn the cello

Top 5 bands?
    ONSLAUGHT
    Bull-Riff Stampede
    Demonic Resurrection
    Black Kirrin
    Testament

What do you do?
    I am a waitress , an extra on the tv show The Outsiders and i promote metal

What deck are you on?

What's a creepy thing I can say when I see you that no stranger should know and will weird you out that I do?
    I do not really have an answer to this because in general i am a little creep and weirdo ).[/quote]

Demolition hammer - Onslaught - BullRiff Stampede - Kryptos -Seprevation -Gojira - Black Kirin - Ego Falls - Testament - Savage Messiah - Anthrax - Krysthla - Beholder - Demonic Resurrection - Reptilian Death - Bhyanak Maut- BurgerKill
    Razor Ramon
    Midshipman

by Razor Ramon » Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:15 pm

PlagueofBabylon wrote:Name:
    Ashley (I go by Ash)

City/country:
    Philadelphia, PA

Age (optional):
    32 (Will be 33 on the boat)

My dad raised me on Black Sabbath and Led Zeppelin. He used to do spontaneous purchases based on rock radio and one day came home with Cryptic Writings from Megadeth which found it's way into my cd wallet and never left. Through the Megadeth forums, I was introduced to all the different genres of metal.

Play any instruments?
    I sing (sorta) and have a pretty good growl. I always wanted to learn to play guitar but have never been able to do so

Top 5 bands?
    Kamelot
    Sabaton
    Blind Guardian
    Iced Earth
    Dark Tranquillity

What do you do?
    I work with medicare patients on their plans and what they can and can't do (I'm a call center rep that hates their job!)

What deck are you on?

Wanted to throw a bit more here as well. I am straight edge so I will be walking around with X's on my hands so please don't offer me a drink or anything lol. I am also transgender and hopefully I can run with some friendly and accepting peoples. I am coming to this for my first time and also with only one person I know on board (in a different cabin somewhere). I won't bite, I just wanna headbang and scream my head off. Don't mind me :)

Dude, I'm from Philly and straight edge too! Transgender, hmmm, are you Tyler's friend?
    70000 Tons 2019
    Wishlist:Anneke-Van-Geirsbergen-VUUR-/-Battlelore-/-Borknagar-/-My-Dying-Bride-/-Draconian-/-Harakiri-For-The-Sky-/-The-Gathering-/-Anathema-/-Within-Temptation-/-Novembre-/-Katatonia-/-Lacuna-Coil-/-Rainover-/-Moonspell-/-Funeral-/-Isole/-Nightwish-/-Riverside-/-The-Crown-/-Autumnal-/-Aeonian-Sorrow-/-Throes-Of-Dawn-/-Thurisaz-/-Daylight-Dies-/-Shape-Of-Despair-/-Arcturus-/-Be'lakor-/-Ereb-Altor-/-Evocation-/-Tyranny-/-Sulphur-Aeon-/-Ajattara-/-Sojourner-/-Oceans-Of-Slumber-/-Lik-/-Thyrfing-/-In-The-Woods-/-Skepticism-/-Heaven-Shall-Burn-/-Darkwell-/-Vetrar-Draugurinn-/-Therion-/-Haggard-/-Draconian-/-Bloodred-Hourglass-/-Bowel-Fuck-/-Batushka-/-Mork-/-Devour-The-Fetus-/-Perturbator-/-Carpenter-Brut-/-Hallatar-/-Infiltration-/-Myrkur-/-Before-The-Dawn-/-Letters-From-The-Colony-/-Demonical-/-Helevorn-/-Viscera-Infest-/-Wormrot-/-And-Oceans
    My musical taste:http://www.last.fm/user/Anthony3
  • alex_canada
    Ensign

by alex_canada » Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:52 pm

Just remembering my beautiful thread and taking a look through all the new people.

^To the person who posted above Razor, no worries! Worst case scenario you might be offered a drink but nobody will force it on you. As for being transgender, I wouldn't be surprised if there one or two sideways glances, but rest assured 99.9% of the people onbroad are very welcoming regardless of orientation, gender, race, or religion. I'll buy you a water, haha.
    3 Inches of Blood, Amon Amarth, Andrew WK, Be'lakor, Blind Guardian, Ne Obliviscaris, Nightwish, Unleash the Archers, Wuthering Heights
  • alex_canada
    Ensign

by alex_canada » Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:01 pm

Pellaz wrote:

I meant to bring a copy of the soundtrack for Fear Factory to sign. Really fucking bummed out that I didn't. The movie, and soundtrack, are GOAT.

Time to update my original post:

City/country:
    Winnipeg, Canada. Middle of the prairies.

Age (optional):
    24 oh my god. Now I'm 31. Ick.

I heard Metallica on the radio and liked it, but had no idea "metal" even existed. I was at home one night watching Muchmusic (our MTV) and they played a Maiden Video (wicker man) late at night once. I ran to a piece of paper and wrote down the band name when they showed it at the end. That gave me a starting point. I also played in a band with a few guys who got me more into metal pretty quick. As I said, it's just that I didn't know the stuff existed or else I would have loved it all along - the guitarist played the intro from BG's mirror mirror and I was hooked.

Play any instruments?
    Drums, for around 10 years I guess. Not amazing at prog stuff or anything really off the beaten path, but I can sit down with Nightfall in Middle Earth and hammer it out hit for hit (+ Ensiferum, Iced Earth, Amon Amarth etc)

Top 5 bands?
    Blind Guardian
    Iron Maiden
    Nightwish (with Tarja)
    Therion
    Variable slot...we'll say Kalmah. New album kicks ass.
    Nothing has changed except perhaps Therion going out based on the more recent, weaker releases.

What do you do?
    I'm working a fitness-related job at a high-end medical fitness facility (technically a gym, but nurses, physios and doctors are working alongside and we deliver integrated programs). I do things varying from personal training to bloodwork interpretation to delivering lectures regarding cardiac rehabilitation. If there is interest, I might put together a "be cruise ready" exercise plan 3 months before departure and post.
    Now I run the kinesiology faculty's labs and research programs at our local University. It's been really rewarding to teach classes and impact student lives.

What deck are you on?
    N yes i'm still a cheapskate

What's a creepy thing I can say when I see you that no stranger should know and will weird you out that I do?
    I own a Kelly Clarkson cd, purchased voluntarily. :headbanger:
    My mom is also coming on the cruise, and has been with me to metal festivals before (of her own free will, she likes it too).
    my mom is still going, feel free to say hi to the red-headed lady in her 60s!
    3 Inches of Blood, Amon Amarth, Andrew WK, Be'lakor, Blind Guardian, Ne Obliviscaris, Nightwish, Unleash the Archers, Wuthering Heights
    Jakethetankdewing
    Oiler

by Jakethetankdewing » Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:31 am

City/country:
    Salem,Ma(witch city) Usa

Age (optional):
    24, turning 25 by the time we set sail

getting a bunch of old school metal/rock cds when i was a kid from my dad like AC/DC-backinblack , Black Sabbath -black sabbath and Iron maiden number of the beast

Play any instruments?
    I play bass a little

Top bands?
    Iron Maiden
    Blind Guardian
    Death
    Pantera
    Nuclear Assault

What do you do?
    Supervisor for park and wreck for my town (daily Grind)

What deck are you on? No idea Room 9524

Say Shazam used to be an inside joke i had in high school with my friends
    Wishlist: AmonAmarth Bolt Thrower-Running Wild-TankardGloryhammer Demons&Wizards-Edguy-SabatonDarkMoor -Carcass Iced Earth-NuclearAssault-Overkill-Helloween-Tyr-Vader-MorbidAngel- Kreator-DreamEvil Fairyland
    2015Survivor
    2016 Survivor
    2017Cabin9524
    bodomdragon
    Sub-Lieutenant

by bodomdragon » Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:07 am

Let's do this once again.

City/country:
    Barcelona, Catalonia, Spain

Age (optional):

A friend of mine at university helped me take my first steps back in 2003 (Rhapsody, Edguy, Nightwish...) and shortly after I met one of my best friends who has been my mentor ever since (he's one of the guys I do the cruise with).

Play any instruments?
    I wish but... nope.

Top 5 bands?
    The first three are quite stable, the last two can change in time:
    Insomnium
    Omnium Gatherum
    Avantasia
    Amorphis
    Eclipse

What do you do?
    Business Intelligence consultant

What deck are you on?

Sing something from Dream Evil, such as The Book of Heavy Metal or Heavy Metal in the Night.
    Wishlist:
    Ad.Infinitum--Aephanemer--Alestorm--Anthriel--AVANTASIA--Axxis--
    Battle.Beast--Beast.in.Black--Belzebubs--Be'lakor--BEYOND.THE.BLACK--Borealis--BORKNAGAR--Brymir--Caligula's.Horse--CHAOSBAY--Countless.Skies--Crowne--Dimmu.Borgir--DGM--Distorted.Harmony--DragonForce--Dream.Theater--Eclipse.(Sweden)--ELECTRIC.CALLBOY--Ensiferum--Evergrey--FEUERSCHWANZ--Fractal.Gates--Freedom.Call--GAMMA.RAY--Haken--Hei'an--Helloween--In.Mourning--INSOMNIUM--Kamelot--Keep.Of.Kalessin--KISSIN'.DYNAMITE--MERCENARY--Moonsorrow--Ne.Obliviscaris--Orden.Ogan--Pretty.Maids--Powerglove--PYRAMAZE--SABATON--SEVENTH.WONDER--Shade.Empire--Skeletoon--SOEN--Subterranean.Masquerade--SYMPHONY.X--Tremonti--Trollfest--Unleash.The.Archers--VISIONS.OF.ATLANTIS--VOLA--Volbeat--VOYAGER--WIDEK--Wilderun--Wintersun

2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2023, 2024: Survivor

Unofficial 70K User Guide: https://70kguide.wordpress.com
    Kingslayer
    Chief Petty Officer

by Kingslayer » Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:45 pm

Let's do this once more

City/country:
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Age (optional):

I was introduced to Black Sabbath and Iron Maiden through the Rock Band and Guitar Hero games during the summer of '08. I continued to discover more bands and more music, and now I've wound up here

Play any instruments?
    Not anymore

Top 5 bands?
    This is constantly changing for me, but what the hell:
    Judas Priest
    Blind Guardian
    Candlemass
    Dio
    Ex Deo

What do you do?
    For work, I'm in retail and an occasional extra on TV and movies
    Outside of work I'm an avid gamer and sci-fi/fantasy nut, and I'm just starting to develop a slice-of-life web series

What deck are you on?
    6(66)

Start talking to me about gummies, it's an inside joke among my friends and me back home
    2016: 9231
    2017: 6521
    2018: Don't even remember

Wishlist: Candlemass, Devin Townsend Project, Doomsword, Dzo-nga, Ex Deo, Gloryhammer, Grand Magus, Hypocrisy, King Diamond, Nile, Powerwolf, Primordial, Running Wild, Steel Panther
    Yippee38
    Petty Officer

by Yippee38 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:33 pm

City/country:
    Chicago-ish (suburbs), IL, USA

Age (optional):

I've listened to hard rock and "metal" since I was a teenager. I grew up on Zepplin, The Scorpions, Black Sabbath, etc. Aside from a lousy time in the 90's (grunge, ugh) I've been listening to heavier and heavier music as I get older.

Play any instruments?
    Nah. I played one in HS, and I try to play the guitar, but not well.

Top 5 bands?
    Amorphis
    Redemption
    Cea Serin
    Ne Obliviscaris
    I don't know about 5. Maybe Fates Warning.

What do you do?
    I'm a pilot for a regional airline. I fly the small jets that go between the big cities and the little cities.

What deck are you on?

What do you like to do in your spare time (besides metal)?
    Read books, Game (board/rpg/video), race cars, fly airplanes, ski, golf, scuba dive, travel.
    MonicaMM
    Crewman

by MonicaMM » Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:58 am

Gutterchild7 wrote:Something you can say that will freak me out:
    I like to wear "common clothes" instead of metal band t-shirts and black stuff... Planning to get on board dressing like I'm lost and that's not my boat (?!?!?!). I don't know things that would freak you out!

You're my argentinian little sister, I'm going to put a name tag on you!!!!!!! :lol:
    2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2020 and 2023 survivor

Favorite bands: Amorphis - Samael - Moonspell - Blind Guardian - Therion - Paradise Lost - Rammstein - Avantasia - Helloween
    Pellaz
    Lieutenant

by Pellaz » Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:20 pm

blackmortum wrote:
    Pellaz wrote:

HAHAHAA oh shit for real? That muthas day out track cracks me up. Certainly an amazing sound track start to end!

It IS an amazingly diverse soundtrack. Gave me a bit more appreciation for other genres, too.

As for MDO, don't judge them solely by that song on the soundtrack; they just looped part of it a few times. Dunno why. (They're the only band on the soundtrack who also appeared in the movie, though!)
    They were only 16, 17, 17, 18 and 21 when they were signed and we met and befriended them about a year later. Really cool, down-to-earth kids from Arkansas; one of them now plays drums for the sludge-doom band Rwake.
    2025 Wishlist:
    1349--Abbath--Abigail.Williams--Aephanemer--Agalloch--Agathodaimon--Alien.Weaponry--Allegaeon--Amon.Amarth--Amorphis--Animals.As.Leaders--Arkona--Arsis--Atrocity--Ayreon--Bal.Sagoth--Baroness--Barren.Earth--Battlelore--Behemoth--Below.7--Belzebubs--Be'lakor--Black.Crown.Initiate--Bloodbath--Borknagar--Broken.Trinity--Cannibal.Corpse--Chthe'ilist--CoF--Countless.Skies--Cynic--Demons.&.Wizards--Dimmu.Borgir--Dark.Tranquillity--Dragonforce--Edge.of.Sanity--Witherscape--anything.Dan.Swano--Eluveitie--Eneferens--Ensiferum--Enslaved--Eternal.Tears.of.Sorrow--Evergrey--Exmortus--Ex.Deo--Fear.Factory--Fires.In.the.Distance--Gojira--Graveworm--Green.Carnation--Hypocrisy--Immortal--Insomnium--Irreversible.Mechanism--Kalmah--Kamelot--Keep.Of.Kalessin--Korpiklaani--Kreator--Leprous--Luciferan.Light.Orchestra--Loss--Melechesh--Meshuggah--Mezarkabul--Moonspell--Mors.Principium.Est--Myrath--Ne.Obliviscaris--Nile--Nokturnal.Mortem--NorthTale--Novembers.Doom--Obscura--Old.Mans.Child--Opeth--Paladin--Poisonblack--Powerwolf--Primordial--Rapheumet's.Well--Raven--Rivers.Of.Nihil--Ryujin--Sabaton--Sadistic.Ritual--Samael--Satyricon--Savatage--Scale.the.Summit--Scorched.Moon--Septic.Flesh--Serious.Black--Seven.Spires--Sigh--Skalmold--Slough.Feg--Starkill--Steorrah--SYL--Suidakra--Summoning--Tarot--Therion--Thy.Serpent--Tomarum--Tomb.Mold--Turisas--Twilight.Force--Tyr--Vale.Of.Pnath--Valhalore--Vesania--Vintersorg--Wolfchant--Yyrkoon
    Pellaz
    Lieutenant

by Pellaz » Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:13 pm

Well, it's been a year since I did this, so I'll re-edit what I re-edited before. :)

Pellaz wrote:
    Name: Paul C.

I've since changed my name to "Benedict Cumberbatch."
    --Nahh. That's a complete lie.

City/country:
    Atlanta metro area, Georgia, USA

Age (optional):
    51, soon to be 52

Strangely enough this is now "52, soon to be 53."
    I can't refuse to grow old, but I CAN refuse to grow up. :lol:

I heard Metallica played at a party way back in '87 and thought "woah, WTF?" I was already into quality rock like Rush and harder radio stuff like G'n'R so the progression was swift and natural. Queensryche got me into more progressive metal and I was seriously into the early 'golden age' of progressive metal (Dream Theater, Fate's Warning, Superior) thanks to pre-Web online sources like the old Ytsejam Mailing List. I began hanging out at Atlanta's long-running metal radio show WREKage around 1994 and started hosting a regular part of the show in 1999 -- at first I was supposed to be playing progressive and power metal but I really got into heavier/darker stuff (I totally blame Opeth for this), and now that's what I prefer. Ooops!
    I've also been a band sponsor for the ProgPower USA festival every year since 2002, including Therion (first US tour and again since then), Nightwish (first-ever US show), Amorphis, Devin Townsend, Tyr, Ihsahn, Green Carnation, Snowy Shaw and others.

Still the same although I added Snowy Shaw (Sept. 2017).

Play any instruments?
    The stereo and the steering wheel.
    Also African and Middle-Eastern hand-percussion, but don't tell anyone 'cause they'll think I'm a hippie. :lol:

Yep. I'm a pretty good hand-percussionist but not quite good enough to lead a drum-circle.

Top whatever bands?

Therion
    Fear Factory
    Type O Negative
    Devin Townsend
    Dead Can Dance (you didn't specify metal bands, now, did ya? :cool: )
    For metal, #5 would be Insomnium at the moment.

I might swap out Type O Negative for Ne Obliviscaris at the moment.

...but seriously, you can check out the playlists at http://www.wrekage.org/playlists.php and see what bands I play the most of...and that would be the answer. I like almost everything except metalcore.

Still true. I'm considering doing a 70K bands-focused broadcast the week before we depart, as I think the timing will work out and there are a significant number of attendees from here, plus we stream hi-quality online.

What do you do?
I'm a lead customer service rep at a big callsite for actual money-money, and a professional (published) writer, editor and proofreader. (Not for actual money-money.)
I'm also a very UNprofessional FM-radio deejay...but in fairness to us we don't get paid for it; we do it for love of metal and we play what we WANT to. 100,000 glorious watts of metal for 4-6 hours a week. :viking:

Yep. Although lately we broadcast more like 3-4 hours each week. Starts at midnight Fridays US Eastern time until we get tired or 6 am Saturday, whichever comes first. We've been getting tired first. :lol:

What deck are you on? 2

Same this year, Deck 2, although I splurged on an oceanview. Whooo-hooooo!

Ayreon (it will NEVER happen...but then again, that's what I thought about Therion ever touring the States and I helped to change that forever)

This will still never happen but at least Arjen is playing three actual Ayreon shows at the 013 in Tilburg. Never say never, huh?

Emperor...or if not, Ihsahn
Immortal (or Abbath)
Insomnium
Tyr
Turisas

Maybe some or all of those three in 2018 again?
Devin Townsend
Fear Factory
Opeth (heavier material only, plz Mike, okthxbye)
Omnium Gatherum
...and dozens of others :bmhorns:

DING. Bingo on the O.G.

Something you can say that will freak me out: I get all nervous and weird when someone compliments me, so saying that you like my musical tastes or have heard and liked our radio show would freak me out. (Seriously, it kinda does.)

Also still true.
2025 Wishlist:
    Memnoch
    Lieutenant-Commander

by Memnoch » Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:06 am

Pellaz wrote:Wish-list for 70K's present and future:
    Ayreon (it will NEVER happen...but then again, that's what I thought about Therion ever touring the States and I helped to change that forever)

This will still never happen but at least Arjen is playing three actual Ayreon shows at the 013 in Tilburg. Never say never, huh

You know, I'm not the biggest prog or prog metal fan in the world, but I'm going to Tilburg to see Ayreon. And I just won two VIP tickets for the Dream Theater gig in Helsinki in February. Is the Universe trying to tell me something? :lol:
    Wishlist:
    GIRLIE METAL / OLD SCHOOL DEATH METAL / DOOM METAL
    taraimaro
    Oiler

by taraimaro » Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:40 am

City/country:
    Tampere, Finland (though I spent the Fall 2016 in Hong Kong and I'm moving to Prague, Czech Republic in February)

Age (optional):

I saw Metallica's One, Amorphis' Alone and Nightwish's Over the Hills and Far Away music videos in a music program on TV back in 2001 and the 12-year-old me thought "hey this heavy metal thing isn't so scary after all" (I guess I had seen some death metal -like stuff with growl vocals in the same program and thought all metal is just some scary-looking old men screaming in a forest :mrgreen: ) Not long after that I found Iron Maiden and after that more and more bands and also bunch of new friends.

Play any instruments?
    Currently alto sax (7th year of lessons) and flute (more than 10 years of lessons). I've also played piano and violin when I was younger and had couple of guitar lessons. I own a keyboard and a guitar and I'd love to learn to play the bass.

Top 5 bands?
    Stam1na
    Amorphis
    Kingston Wall
    Rush
    Mokoma

What do you do?
    I'm finishing my Master's studies in Journalism back in Finland. Partly also doing some translation studies courses as my Bachelor's was in Translation and interpreting (Finnish-German-Finnish) and I hold the study right to Master's in Translation studies as well. I love travelling and snowboarding. Besides Finnish and English I'm fluent in Portuguese and German and also know quite a bunch of other languages.

What deck are you on?
    Deck 2, booked a single ticket in an ocean view quad

Thanks to my cousin recording some of the songs to cassettes for me back in the days, I still kinda like the 90s eurodance stuff like Barbie Girl, Bailando, Coco Jamboo, Captain Jack etc. :oops: :lol:

And thanks to Maso and Memnoch talking about the cruise so much since 2011 or 2012 in Tuska etc and now Stam1na being booked, I'm finally coming to 70k! :D
    2017 - survivor
    2018 - survivor
    2019 - survivor
    2020 - survivor
    2023 - survivor
    2024 - survivor
    2025 - I wanna go already!
    PacNW
    Crewman

by PacNW » Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:37 pm

City/Country:
    Portland, Oregon, USA

What first got you into metal:
    In 6th grade a friend played Master of Puppets and Rust in Peace for me. I immediately realized it was a travesty that all music did not sound this good.

Play any instruments?
    I have an SLSMG guitar. Kinda been stuck in the same place playing wise for a while, and low on energy, so I've been neglecting the guitar :(

Top 5 (rock and metal) bands:
    Amorphis, Vektor, Tyr, Testament, Wintersun

What do you do?
    Corporate finance. Also own one rental property, would like to acquire a few more :)

What do you do in your spare time?
    Practice Wing Chun, lift weights, work on cars, shoot guns, play video games. Moved to Portland a year ago from Seattle, so my social network is not as filled out as I would like it to be.

What deck are you on?
    deck 6

What’s a creepy thing I can say when I see you that no stranger should know and will weird you out that I do?
    Honestly, I am a pretty open person. I'll talk to people I just met that night about investment strategy or dating advice. So I think anything really extreme I could give you would weird you out more than it would weird me out :)
    2012, 2017 - 6223, 2018 - 6387
  • Bob
    Petty Officer

by Bob » Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:44 pm

City/Country:
    Salt Lake City, USA

In HS (70s) I was listening to Boston, KISS, Van Halen, Rush and MTV. When I saw Rammstein I started to turn to metal. I developed a soft spot for female fronted bands, Kittie, Crucified Barbara, Angelspit, Arkona, Hanzel und Gretyl. Something about a woman screaming that gets me. Came on the cruise 1st time just to see Arch Enemy and Crucified Barbara. Then I was hooked because I saw Therion and more stuff I didn’t even know existed, Pirate Metal, Folk Metal, Black Metal. But I’m still very much a metal newbie.

Play any instruments?
    Piano, trumpet.

Rammstein, Arch Enemy

What do you do?
    I do software. I'm a spaces and vim guy.

Unreal Tournament Onslaught 2004 Omnip)o(tentS as McLovin

What deck are you on?
    Why does this matter? I've never there else to sleep. Deck 3

What’s a creepy thing I can say when I see you that no stranger should know and will weird you out that I do?
    I'm a return Mormon Missionary from another lifetime ago.

I hang at the Casino Bar or outside smoking. Else I'm at the Cafe drinking coffee or lining up for the next band..
    Last edited by Bob on Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
    Wishlist 2024: Ranked in order of:
    1. Line up on the center rail for both sets if announced.

Konvent
    2. Never seen them live.
    Anaal_Nathrakh-/-Burning_Witches-/-Combichrist-/-Dee_Snider-/-Gojira-/-Grai-/-Hanzel_und_Gretyl-/-IGNEA-/-Inquisition-/-Jinjer-/-Lovebites-/-King_Diamond-/-Mgla-/-Opeth-/-Rob_Zombie-/-Spiritbox-/-Temple_of_Evil-/-The_Hu-/-Vader-/-Visigoth-/-Wagakki_Band
    3. Seen them before and would love to see them on das boat.
    Avatar-/-Babymetal-/-Behemoth-/-Corrosion_of_Conformity-/-Fleshgod_Apocalypse-/-Lacuna_Coil-/-Lamb_of_God-/-Meshuggah-/-Metsatöll-/-Myrkur-/-Sabaton-/-Sepultura-/-Suicidal_Tendencies-/-Therion-/-The_Iron_Maidens-/-Wolves_in_the_Throne_Room
    70K Survivor - 2015, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 23
  • Godflesh
    Ensign

by Godflesh » Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:48 am

Bob wrote:City/Country:
    Salt Lake City, USA

In HS (70s) I was listening to Boston, KISS, Van Halen, and MTV. When I saw Rammstein I started to turn to metal.

Wow, quite a gap between Van Halen and Rammstein!
    Welcome onbroad!
    Last edited by Godflesh on Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    MonicaMM
    Crewman

by MonicaMM » Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:29 am

Pellaz wrote:Age (optional):
    Strangely enough this is now "52, soon to be 53."
    I can't refuse to grow old, but I CAN refuse to grow up. :lol:

We're in this together, my friend!
    My ID says I'm 36 but my mind and heart say I'm 26 :)

Favorite bands: Amorphis - Samael - Moonspell - Blind Guardian - Therion - Paradise Lost - Rammstein - Avantasia - Helloween
    Gratch
    Chief Petty Officer

by Gratch » Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:46 am

Bob wrote:City/Country:
    Salt Lake City, USA

In HS (70s) I was listening to Boston, KISS, Van Halen, and MTV. When I saw Rammstein I started to turn to metal.

Play any instruments?
    Piano, trumpet.

Rammstein, Arch Enemy

What do you do?
    I have a job. How else could I afford a cruise? I do software. I'm a spaces and vi guy.

Unreal Tournament Onslaught 2004 Omni as McLovin

What deck are you on?
    Why does this matter? I've never there else to sleep. Cabin Number: 3546

I'm a return Mormon Missionary from another lifetime ago.

I hang at the Casino Bar or outside smoking on level 3 or 4. Else I'm at the Cafe drinking coffee or lining up for the next band.

Cheers, fellow Salt Lake-Ian! :cheers:
    Survivor 2016/17/18/19/20

Ultimate Wishlist Bands
    Anaal Nathrakh - Behemoth - Igorrr - Khemmis - Myrkur - The Ocean - Pallbearer - Sigh - Tribulation - Sentient Horror - Turisas - Wilderun - Witherscape - Zeal & Ardor
    MonicaMM
    Crewman

by MonicaMM » Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:50 pm

Almost 2 years since I first answered this, let's do it again and see what has changed! :D

City/country:
    São Paulo, Brasil

Age (optional):
    36 but feeling way younger than before

When I was 5 or 6 my grandma made me dance a few Queen songs at home and one step later I was headbanging to the sound of Sepultura.

Play any instruments?
    Not yet and I'm almost giving up on learning.

Top 5 bands?
    Blind Guardian
    Therion
    Moonspell
    Rammstein
    Paradise Lost

What do you do?
    I'm unfortunately unemployed and I'm taking care of my sick but beloved mom at home since last december :cry:

I write here and talk to my friends on facebook since I can't leave my mom alone for a long time. Travelling with you guys is gonna be a well deserved rest to me.

What deck are you on?
    Seven! Seven! Seven! Seven! (Friend's Monica Geller style)

I dare you to find it out by yourself... :twisted:

Daenerys
    Midshipman

by Daenerys » Tue Jan 24, 2017 4:40 pm

6 years since this was updated... and pretty much nothing has changed! :lol:

City/country:
    Clearwater/Tampa, Florida

Not what but who! Always enjoyed classic rock and American metal, but my true love Brian introduced me to "trve" metal :mrgreen:

Play any instruments?
    Not unless you count surgical instruments!

Top 5 bands? Currently:
    Opeth (pre - Heritage)
    Eluveitie
    Myrath
    Amon Amarth
    Novembers Doom

What do you do?
    I'm still ruining natural selection as a Physician Assistant in the ER.

What deck are you on?
    Cabin 6697

What do you like to do in your spare time?
    All free time is spent teaching or doing yoga, going to Orange Theory, playing video games or drinking craft beer :beerwink:

After 6 years in the ER I don't think anything can weird me out :lol:
    Voyager-Vuur-GrandMagus-Myrath-Borknagar-NovembersDoom-Aeternam-Havok-TheHaloEffect-Moonspell-SepticFlesh-Sigh-BarrenEarth-Iotunn-ScarSymmetry-Nekrogoblikon
    Speedy
    Ensign

by Speedy » Wed Jan 25, 2017 4:37 am

Time to revisit this.

City/country:
    Living in Trondheim, Norway. Originally from Sandefjord, Norway

Age (optional):

Einar. Old norse name meaning 'lonely warrior' (derived from Einherjar). Image (I HATE "viking" helmets with horns, so I fixed the emoticon.)

There was a lot of metal, particularly Rammstein, being played at a student bar when I moved to Trondheim to study. Didn't relly like metal before then. I think Sehnsucht was the first metal album I bought back in 1998, but it might have been Herzeleid.

Play any instruments?
    Air guitar and air drums. :mrgreen:

Top 5 bands?

Changes all the time, and difficult to pick five, but these are among my top ones now.
    Blind Guardian
    Triosphere
    Epica
    Battlelore
    Ancient Bards

What do you do?
    I'm an electronics engineer, working with digital design for microcontrollers.

What deck are you on?
    6 - cabin 6667.

Did you bellyflop into any campfires lately?

My GF will join me for the first time this year. We were together last year, but got together after I bought the ticket, and I couldn't afford to buy her one as well then.

Oh, and Mr. Lysholm Linie will join me for the beach party this year as well :shots:
    70k 2013 cabin 4008
    70k 2014 cabin 2565
    70k 2015 cabin 8687
    70k 2016 cabin 7607
    70k 2017 cabin 6667

70k 2018 M.I.A.
    70k 2019 cabin 7690
    70k 2018 M.I.A.
    (Part) Norwegian Wishlist: -Audrey.Horne-/-Borknagar-/-Chontaraz-/-Chrome.Division-/-Circus.Maximus-/-Dimension.F3h-/-Divided.Multitude-/-Djerv-/-Enslaved-/-Evig.Natt-/-Glittertind-/-Gothminister-/-Highland.Glory-/-ICS.Vortex-/-Jorn-/-Leprous-/-Lumsk-/-Memorized.Dreams-/-Midnattsol-/-Mortemia-/-Nergard-/-Pagan's.Mind-/-Savn-/-Sirenia-/-Svölk-/-Tellus.Requiem-/-Triosphere-/-Tristania-/-Viper.Solfa-/-Vredehammer-/-Vreid-/-Withem-

International Wishlist: -Accept-/-Amberian.Dawn-/-Amon.Amarth-/-Ancient.Bards-/-And.Then.She.Came-/-Arch.Enemy-/-Аркона-/-Avantasia-/-Battle.Beast-/-Battlelore-/-Beyond.the.Bridge-/-Blind.Guardian-/-Brothers.of.Metal-/-Dalriada-/-Dark.Sarah-/-Delain-/-Demons&Wizards-/-Diabulus.in.Musica-/-Die.Apocalyptischen.Reiter-/-Doro-/-Draconian-/-Dragonforce-/-Dragony-/-Dream.Theater-/-Eisbrecher-/-Eluveitie-/-Elvenking-/-Ensiferum-/-Equilibrium-/-Evenoire-/-Ex.Libris-/-Fejd-/-Finsterforst-/-Freedom.Call-/-Fylgja-/-Gloryhammer-/-Грай-/-Grailknights-/-Hammerfall-/-Heavatar-/-Heidevolk-/-Heldmaschine-/-Helloween-/-Ignea-/-Jaded.Star-/-Калевала-/-Kalmah-/-Korpiklaani-/-Lacuna.Coil-/-Magistina.Saga-/-MaYaN-/-Megaherz-/-Metsatöll-/-Moonspell-/-Månegarm-/-Невидь-/-Nightmare-/-Nightwish-/-Nine.Treasures-/-November-7-/-OOMPH!-/-Orden.Ogan-/-Powerwolf-/-Queensrÿche-/-Rage-/-Ragnaröek-/-Raubtier-/-Rhapsody.(any.edition)-/-Running.Wild-/-Sabaton-/-Saltatio.Mortis-/-Schwarzer.Engel-/-Serenity-/-Seven.Kingdoms-/-Seven.Spires-/-Skálmöld-/-Sleeping.Romance-/-Смута-/-Sonata.Arctica-/-Stahlmann-/-Subway.to.Sally-/-SuidAkrA-/-Svartsot-/-Symphony.X-/-Tarja-/-The.Privateer-/-Turisas-/-Twilight.Force-/-Týr-/-U.D.O.-/-Van.Canto-/-Vanden.Plas-/-Varg-/-Vika-/-Visions.of.Atlantis-/-Vogelfrey-/-Volbeat-/-VUUR-/-White.Shadow-/-Winterstorm-/-Within.Temptation-/-Xandria-
    Imminance
    Oiler

by Imminance » Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:14 am

Brand new blood from the great frozen north!

City/country:
    Minneapolis, MN

Age (optional):
    25 (my 26th birthday is Saturday on the cruise!!)

Sean ("Irish Sean" as I have to say when people spell it Shawn...)

I started listening to Celtic music and mainstream rock maybe around 10 or 11 (2001 or 2002). First major metal bands then were LORDI, Nightwish, and a number of other random ones my brother was into. Maybe around 2006 I started mixing power metal/hard rock/some progressive death. I really got into Finnish/Swedish stuff at this point. Rammstein, DBA, Takida, COB, Eluviete, etc. Towards 2009/2010 I really started getting into heavier stuff. Cannibal Corpse, Scar Symmetry, and others. I also got a college roomate who was a straight up death metal/metal core guy so I branched out a little bit. in 2012 I dated a girl from then until 2015 and really branched out even more matching her tastes. Now I couldn't tell you what I listen to because I love it all!

Play any instruments?
    I played the piano for 10 years and played the French Horn in Orchestra for another 7.
    Air guitar and air drums. :mrgreen:

Top 5 bands?
    Changes all the time, and difficult to pick five, but these are among my top ones now.
    Scar Symmetry
    Vildjharta
    Thunderstone
    Children of Bodom
    Born of Osiris

What do you do?
    Civil Engineer/Real Estate entrepreneur

What deck are you on?
    G-QUAD 2376

Did you make your bed this morning?

I will be on the beach enjoying breakfast on the morning of 2/2. I hope to see all of you before we board...I'm 6'6" so I'll for sure be able to see all of you :lol:
    Danny24601
    Petty Officer

by Danny24601 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:16 pm

Doing this because my sister told me to <3

City/country:
    Calgary, Canada

Age (optional):

I am the youngest sibling in my family, so when I was little I’d usually just listen to whatever my sisters were into at the time. One day that stopped being J-pop and started being symphonic power metal, and I got obsessed with Nightwish, Kamelot, and Sonata Arctica. I wandered away from “boat metal” for a while to explore the big wide world of music outside of it, then got back into heavy music/metal through metalcore (boo!), then had an amazing time on my first cruise in 2015 which got me back into the more European side of modern metal. 2017 will be my third year in a row!

Play any instruments?

I play guitar and bass, and I think I can sing (as in I sing in a band, but I wouldn’t say I have a terrific voice so much as a functional one)

Top 5 bands?

I’m going limit this to boat-approved bands to avoid any excessive indignity
    Nightwish
    Sonata Arctica
    Eluveitie
    Katatonia
    Kamelot
    Amon Amarth
    Sabaton (I can’t count)

What do you do?

I’m currently a full time student in the last year of my undergraduate degree in geology, going into law school next fall. That means that this is going to be my last cruise for at least the next three years, so lets make it count!

What deck are you on?
    No idea 

I love metalcore? Like really really love metalcore. And not just dignified metalcore like Architects and August Burns Red, but really trashy metalcore. Metalcore so trashy that it makes you want to crawl under your bed and cry like a little baby.
    Seventh.Wonder/Theocracy/The.Night.Flight.Orchestra/Draconian/My.Dying.Bride/Primordial/Turisas/Katatonia/Swallow.the.Sun/Eluveitie/Seven.Spires/Tyr/Soilwork/Helloween/Countless.Skies/Anaal.Nathrakh/Frozen.Crown/Sonata.Arctica/Powerwolf/Blind.Guardian/Avantasia/Within.Temptation/Aephanemer/Serenity/Saturnus/Moonspell/Scardust/The.Halo.Effect/Sabaton/Noumena/Sojourner/Dragony/Omnium.Gatherum/Soen/Paradise.Lost/Shape.of.Despair/Hamferd/Aether.Realm/Brothers.of.Metal/Dawn.of.Solace/Tribulation/Twilight.Force/Be'lakor/Wilderun/Beast.in.Black/Ensiferum/Serenity.in.Murder/Dimmu.Borgir/Amon.Amarth/Visigoth/Satyricon/Cradle.of.Filth/Unleash.the.Archers/Moonsorrow/Epica
  • Phoenix
    Lieutenant

by Phoenix » Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:21 pm

Danny24601 wrote:Doing this because my sister told me to <3

Ohhh, you're THAT Danny from Calgary. Things make sense now.

Survivor:
    Out for 2023
  • macamatic
    Petty Officer

by macamatic » Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:24 pm

I guess people actually read these. When in Rome, eh?

City/country:
    Margate, FL, a suburb of Fort Lauderdale. I live about 5 minutes south of Rock n Roll Ribs.

Age (optional):
    I turn 25 in February.

Brian

Kind of a nebulous question, but it was just sort of a natural progression. I started out listening to Linkin Park, then radio rock (mostly "post-grunge" like Crossfade and 90s alternative stuff like Candlebox), until I heard a Killswitch Engage song I really liked. I checked out their back catalog, couldn't take the screaming, and settled for Mudvayne and Slipknot to adapt to it. Then I asked a friend for similar bands and one of the names was In Flames. The rest is history.

I still listen to Mudvayne and Slipknot from time to time, and I have a pretty big collection of metalcore that would make many of you nauseated.

Play any instruments?
    I play drums (though not well enough for basically any of the bands on the ship) and scream/growl. I can sing pretty well, but I don't have a great singing voice. I can also play a few basic chords on guitar.

I'll destroy you at Rock Band though.

Top 5 bands?
    Another difficult one to answer, since it's fluctuated not just with tastes but with the bands' material, but here goes. This is in order.
    Epica
    Ancient Bards
    Insomnium
    Kamelot
    August Burns Red

What do you do?
    Software engineer, with a focus on web applications.

What deck are you on?
    6 - 6523.

"I heard you like coffee with your oxygen." (If anybody can honestly deduce this reference without any help, I will buy you drinks for a full day on the ship.)
    2017: 6523 | 2018: 2546

Want: Ancient Bards, Dark Tranquillity, Deadlock, Disarmonia Mundi, In Mourning, Insomnium, Symphony X, The Unguided, Wintersun, Within Temptation
    captaingabbeh
    Chief Petty Officer

by captaingabbeh » Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:25 pm

What deck are you on?
    No idea 

You're on deck 3 :)

2015-2018,
    Goth Cruise 2019

Wishlist: Myrath-Skindred-Rotting Christ-Amorphis-Hypocrisy-Demons & Wizards-3TEETH-Emperor-Psyclon Nine-Ihsahn-Batushka-Anaal Nathrakh-Epica-Aeternam-Nightwish-Starkill-Primordial-Zeal & Ardor-Powerwolf
  • alex_canada
    Ensign

by alex_canada » Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:35 pm

captaingabbeh wrote:

What deck are you on?
    No idea 

You're on deck 3 :)

You listen to j-pop?

P.s. 2 more hours of work
  • Post Reply 3967 posts