• Iconix
    Crewman

Re: Who are you? Introduce yourself!

by Iconix » Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:59 pm

City/country:
    Westminster, CO, USA

Age (optional):

What first got you into metal?
    My parents are both long-time musicians, my dad still plays regularly at bars/parties/festivals in my hometown. Because of them, I started out listening to a lot of classic and prog rock, so some of my early favorites were Tom Petty, Jackson Browne, the Eagles, Yes, etc. By middle school I was getting into more punk rock like Green Day, The Offspring, Blink-182. The nu-metal wave started right around the time I started high school, and I got hugely into Linkin Park, Disturbed, Mudvayne, and System of a Down. My parents going through a REALLY ugly divorce while I was still in school was probably a big catalyst for pushing me more into metal, and at first I just started getting into the classics like Metallica and Pantera and Iron Maiden. I think the point of no return for me was when I first found In Flames and Soilwork, and I became a melodeath fanatic practically overnight, and from there it just took off

Play any instruments?
    I played classical and jazz trombone in high school, was never any good at guitar despite a few attempts

Top bands?
    Top 10 in no particular order: Insomnium, Wolfheart, Amon Amarth, Allegaeon, Amorphis, Be'lakor, Mors Principium Est, Dark Tranquillity, Opeth, Lamb of God

What do you do?
    Software engineering - I work on application software for a company that does industrial grade fabric printing and embroidery equipment

What do you like to do in your spare time?
    Skiing, video games, hockey, and obviously plenty of metal :deathhorns:

What deck are you on?

What's a creepy thing I can say when I see you that no stranger should know and will weird you out that I do?
    Um...you could ask me about the time I almost died while skiing with my dad? Or ask about all the new abdominal scars I picked up since last year. That or you could talk to me and my sister (who's always on the boat with me) how we converted our mom to a metalhead in her 60's - hopefully someday she'll get to come on the boat but for the last couple years she's been in charge of babysitting pets for us.
    70k Survivor:
    2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2023, 2024

Wishlist: (ON!, last year, repeats, still hoping)

Aeternam-AlienWeaponry-AllShallPerish-Allegaeon-AMONAMARTH-Amorphis-Anciients-AndyGillion-ArchEnemy-AtTheGates-BE'LAKOR-Belzebubs-BeyondCreation-TheBlackDahliaMurder-BlackCrownInitiate-Blackguard-BloodStainChild-BORKNAGAR-Carcass-Chimaira-CountlessSkies-DarkAge-Darkane-DarkLunacy-DarkTranquillity-Devildriver-Diablo-DimensionZero-DimmuBorgir-DisarmoniaMundi-Eluveitie-Ensiferum-Equilibrium-EternalTearsOfSorrow-FearFactory-Finntroll-FleshgodApocalypse-GOJIRA-Gyze-TheHaloEffect-TheHaunted-Helleborus-Ihsahn-InFlames-InMourning-Insomnium-IntoEternity-InVain-Kalmah-Katatonia-KingOfAsgard-LacunaCoil-LambOfGod-Manegarm-Mastodon-Mercenary-Miseration-Moonsorrow-Moonspell-MorsPrincipiumEst-NeObliviscaris-Nightrage-Obscura-TheOcean-OceansOfSlumber-OctoberTide-OmniumGatherum-OPETH-Ouroboros-Persefone-PainConfessor-Raunchy-RiversOfNihil-RottingChrist-SaltatioMortis-ScarSymmetry-ShadowsFall-Shylmagoghnar-Skeletonwitch-Skyfire-Slipknot-Soen-Soilwork-Solution.45-Stam1na-Susperia-SvartCrown-SwallowTheSun-Sylosis-Testament-ThreatSignal-Trivium-Turisas-Tyr-Unearth-UnleashTheArchers-Whitechapel-WhiteVoid-Wilderun-Wintersun-Wolfheart

\m/ >_< \m/
  • Godflesh
    Ensign

by Godflesh » Thu Nov 01, 2018 3:52 pm

Iconix wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:59 pm Or ask about all the new abdominal scars I picked up since last year
    Phoenix wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:54 am See if you can find the new scars on my chest.
    What are you guys DOING??? :lol:
  • Iconix
    Crewman

by Iconix » Thu Nov 01, 2018 5:22 pm

Godflesh wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 3:52 pm
    Iconix wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:59 pm Or ask about all the new abdominal scars I picked up since last year
    Phoenix wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:54 am See if you can find the new scars on my chest.
    It seemed like the trendy thing to talk about
    70k Survivor:
    2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2023, 2024

Wishlist: (ON!, last year, repeats, still hoping)

Aeternam-AlienWeaponry-AllShallPerish-Allegaeon-AMONAMARTH-Amorphis-Anciients-AndyGillion-ArchEnemy-AtTheGates-BE'LAKOR-Belzebubs-BeyondCreation-TheBlackDahliaMurder-BlackCrownInitiate-Blackguard-BloodStainChild-BORKNAGAR-Carcass-Chimaira-CountlessSkies-DarkAge-Darkane-DarkLunacy-DarkTranquillity-Devildriver-Diablo-DimensionZero-DimmuBorgir-DisarmoniaMundi-Eluveitie-Ensiferum-Equilibrium-EternalTearsOfSorrow-FearFactory-Finntroll-FleshgodApocalypse-GOJIRA-Gyze-TheHaloEffect-TheHaunted-Helleborus-Ihsahn-InFlames-InMourning-Insomnium-IntoEternity-InVain-Kalmah-Katatonia-KingOfAsgard-LacunaCoil-LambOfGod-Manegarm-Mastodon-Mercenary-Miseration-Moonsorrow-Moonspell-MorsPrincipiumEst-NeObliviscaris-Nightrage-Obscura-TheOcean-OceansOfSlumber-OctoberTide-OmniumGatherum-OPETH-Ouroboros-Persefone-PainConfessor-Raunchy-RiversOfNihil-RottingChrist-SaltatioMortis-ScarSymmetry-ShadowsFall-Shylmagoghnar-Skeletonwitch-Skyfire-Slipknot-Soen-Soilwork-Solution.45-Stam1na-Susperia-SvartCrown-SwallowTheSun-Sylosis-Testament-ThreatSignal-Trivium-Turisas-Tyr-Unearth-UnleashTheArchers-Whitechapel-WhiteVoid-Wilderun-Wintersun-Wolfheart

\m/ >_< \m/
  • Phoenix
    Lieutenant

by Phoenix » Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:20 am

Godflesh wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 3:52 pm
    Everyone needs a hobby or six. One of mine just so happens to result in scars.

Survivor:
    Out for 2023
    JoAnnamayhem
    Petty Officer

by JoAnnamayhem » Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:07 am

City/country:
    Eastern Long Island, New York, USA

Age (optional):

I was a huge Good Charlotte fan around 11-12 years old. I wore one of their tshirts to my parents friends house and they had an older son, maybe 17 who was a metalhead. He dissaproved of my tastes and wanted to introduce me to metal so he gave me a cradle of filth CD, Dusk and Her Embrace. He also took me to Ozzfest with him later that year. I was instantly hooked and began my own journey of metal discovery ever since.

Play any instruments?
    I have played the cello for about 15 years now.

Top 5 bands?
    No order, this was hard. My list changes every week

Septicflesh
    Carach Angren
    Cattle Decaptitaion
    Amon Amarth
    Aborted

What do you do?
    Accountant for an aircraft supplier

What deck are you on?

What's a creepy thing I can say when I see you that no stranger should know and will weird you out that I do?
    Im reallly drawing a blank on this oneeee. Will come back laterr
    2018 - 9318
    2019 - 9222
    2020 - Home with my newborn!
    2023 - 7698
    bodomdragon
    Sub-Lieutenant

by bodomdragon » Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:04 am

Phoenix wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:54 am Top bands?
    Sabaton will always have a special place in my heart, especially after that pool deck set in 2018. But up at the top of my list are Amorphis, Mors Principium Est, In Vain, Ne Obliviscaris, and Eluveitie.
    Seems like you're gonna have a good time on 2019's cruise :)
    Wishlist:
    Ad.Infinitum--Aephanemer--Alestorm--Anthriel--AVANTASIA--Axxis--
    Battle.Beast--Beast.in.Black--Belzebubs--Be'lakor--BEYOND.THE.BLACK--Borealis--BORKNAGAR--Brymir--Caligula's.Horse--CHAOSBAY--Countless.Skies--Crowne--Dimmu.Borgir--DGM--Distorted.Harmony--DragonForce--Dream.Theater--Eclipse.(Sweden)--ELECTRIC.CALLBOY--Ensiferum--Evergrey--FEUERSCHWANZ--Fractal.Gates--Freedom.Call--GAMMA.RAY--Haken--Hei'an--Helloween--In.Mourning--INSOMNIUM--Kamelot--Keep.Of.Kalessin--KISSIN'.DYNAMITE--MERCENARY--Moonsorrow--Ne.Obliviscaris--Orden.Ogan--Pretty.Maids--Powerglove--PYRAMAZE--SABATON--SEVENTH.WONDER--Shade.Empire--Skeletoon--SOEN--Subterranean.Masquerade--SYMPHONY.X--Tremonti--Trollfest--Unleash.The.Archers--VISIONS.OF.ATLANTIS--VOLA--Volbeat--VOYAGER--WIDEK--Wilderun--Wintersun

2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2023, 2024: Survivor

Unofficial 70K User Guide: https://70kguide.wordpress.com
  • Phoenix
    Lieutenant

by Phoenix » Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:02 am

bodomdragon wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:04 am
    Phoenix wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:54 am Top bands?
    Sabaton will always have a special place in my heart, especially after that pool deck set in 2018. But up at the top of my list are Amorphis, Mors Principium Est, In Vain, Ne Obliviscaris, and Eluveitie.
    Seems like you're gonna have a good time on 2019's cruise :)
    Turns out, I forgot that Eluveitie were on. Better lineup than I thought. More melodeath = more better, but it's my #2 so far.

Survivor:
    Out for 2023
    Jaimie38
    Lieutenant

by Jaimie38 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:24 pm

watching hockey, drinking beer while sitting around a fire pit,

How very Canadian of you!

:cheers:

Ever come to shows in Edmonton?
    9 Time Vet.
    Wishlist-West of Hell,Hibria,Powerwolf,WASP,DioDisciples,Loudness,
    DangerousToys,Triumph,UDO,SkullFIST,Kobra&theLotus,
    TheOrderofChaos,Diemonds,Riot City, WMD,Demons & Wizards,Liv Sin,Suicidal Angels,Dee Snider
    Pellaz
    Lieutenant

by Pellaz » Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:00 pm

City/country:
    Auburn, GA USA
    '
    Age (optional):
    54. I turn the big 55 the day before embark.

I was already into some rock and hard rock like Rush, etc. I was at a party and someone played Metallica's Master of Puppets which was just out at the time. I liked it and began to explore metal, and was introduced to Queensryche's Operation Mindcrime by a friend in WA. QR led back to Metallica (I befriended Kirk Hammett since we had similar literary tastes) and then I came around into progressive metal in the glory days of the Dream Theater mailing list (Ytsejam). From there I got into heavier, darker stuff like Opeth and Dimmu Borgir and nowadays I'm mostly into that.

Play any instruments?
    Stereo, steering wheel, African and middle-eastern hand-percussion (djembes, doumbeks, etc.) I'm pretty damned good within a drum-circle but not quite good enough to lead one effectively.

Top 5 bands?
    Metal bands: Devin Townsend, Type O Negative, Fear Factory, Dimmu Borgir, Ne Obliviscaris......
    non-metal: Ozric Tentacles, Dead Can Dance, The Cruxshadows, Ayreon (older), Faith & the Muse....

What do you do?
    Lead customer service rep, US Government/Dept. of the Treasury

What do you do in your spare time?
    Read/write SF and fantasy, swimming, freediving, snorkeling, railfanning, disc golf, placate my cat.

What deck are you on?
    7, aft. A bit of a come-down from our Deck 10 GS last year

You can ask to see my one (1) scar. (It's not hidden or anything.)
    2025 Wishlist:
    1349--Abbath--Abigail.Williams--Aephanemer--Agalloch--Agathodaimon--Alien.Weaponry--Allegaeon--Amon.Amarth--Amorphis--Animals.As.Leaders--Arkona--Arsis--Atrocity--Ayreon--Bal.Sagoth--Baroness--Barren.Earth--Battlelore--Behemoth--Below.7--Belzebubs--Be'lakor--Black.Crown.Initiate--Bloodbath--Borknagar--Broken.Trinity--Cannibal.Corpse--Chthe'ilist--CoF--Countless.Skies--Cynic--Demons.&.Wizards--Dimmu.Borgir--Dark.Tranquillity--Dragonforce--Edge.of.Sanity--Witherscape--anything.Dan.Swano--Eluveitie--Eneferens--Ensiferum--Enslaved--Eternal.Tears.of.Sorrow--Evergrey--Exmortus--Ex.Deo--Fear.Factory--Fires.In.the.Distance--Gojira--Graveworm--Green.Carnation--Hypocrisy--Immortal--Insomnium--Irreversible.Mechanism--Kalmah--Kamelot--Keep.Of.Kalessin--Korpiklaani--Kreator--Leprous--Luciferan.Light.Orchestra--Loss--Melechesh--Meshuggah--Mezarkabul--Moonspell--Mors.Principium.Est--Myrath--Ne.Obliviscaris--Nile--Nokturnal.Mortem--NorthTale--Novembers.Doom--Obscura--Old.Mans.Child--Opeth--Paladin--Poisonblack--Powerwolf--Primordial--Rapheumet's.Well--Raven--Rivers.Of.Nihil--Ryujin--Sabaton--Sadistic.Ritual--Samael--Satyricon--Savatage--Scale.the.Summit--Scorched.Moon--Septic.Flesh--Serious.Black--Seven.Spires--Sigh--Skalmold--Slough.Feg--Starkill--Steorrah--SYL--Suidakra--Summoning--Tarot--Therion--Thy.Serpent--Tomarum--Tomb.Mold--Turisas--Twilight.Force--Tyr--Vale.Of.Pnath--Valhalore--Vesania--Vintersorg--Wolfchant--Yyrkoon
    2015-2020; 2023-2024: Survivor
    2025: most likely
  • Bob
    Petty Officer

by Bob » Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:29 pm

Phoenix wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:54 am ...
    I'm an engineer! Here come the wide eyed stares that I could possibly be an engineer
    That's a broad stroke for engineer. There's like so many kinds, trains, electrical, chemical, hardware, software, sanitation. My official title is software engineer, but I prefer to be called a bit-twiddler cause it's more accurate. Most all our engineers do something completely non-technical related, ie, they go to a lot of meetings, make spreadsheets, power point decks, because they became managers, LOL!
    Wishlist 2024: Ranked in order of:
    1. Line up on the center rail for both sets if announced.

Konvent
    2. Never seen them live.
    Anaal_Nathrakh-/-Burning_Witches-/-Combichrist-/-Dee_Snider-/-Gojira-/-Grai-/-Hanzel_und_Gretyl-/-IGNEA-/-Inquisition-/-Jinjer-/-Lovebites-/-King_Diamond-/-Mgla-/-Opeth-/-Rob_Zombie-/-Spiritbox-/-Temple_of_Evil-/-The_Hu-/-Vader-/-Visigoth-/-Wagakki_Band
    3. Seen them before and would love to see them on das boat.
    Avatar-/-Babymetal-/-Behemoth-/-Corrosion_of_Conformity-/-Fleshgod_Apocalypse-/-Lacuna_Coil-/-Lamb_of_God-/-Meshuggah-/-Metsatöll-/-Myrkur-/-Sabaton-/-Sepultura-/-Suicidal_Tendencies-/-Therion-/-The_Iron_Maidens-/-Wolves_in_the_Throne_Room
    70K Survivor - 2015, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 23
    Ethrivas
    Chief Petty Officer

by Ethrivas » Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:24 am

City/country:
    Ankara, Turkey

Age (optional):

Metallica - ...and Justice For All
    Slayer - South of Heaven
    Megadeth - So Far, So Good, So What?

Play any instruments?
    Sadly, no. Wish i could play drums, tho.

Top 5 bands?
    Hardest question tbh.
    Mors Principium Est, Allegaeon, Aeternam, Mgla, Be'lakor
    (Kalmah, Fleshgod Apocalypse, Melechesh, Wolfheart, Satyricon next in line)

What do you do?
    Technical Project Manager, used to be software developer

Bridge, Computer games, Science fiction and fantasy literature, AD&D 2nd Ed, Boardgames, Travel around the world.

What deck are you on?
    9th

Spiders (arachnophobia)
    Wishlist 2025:1914-/-Ablaze.My.Sorrow-/-AEPHANEMER-/-Aeternam-/-AETHERIAN-/-AGATHODAIMON-/-ALESTORM-/-ALLEGAEON-/-AMORPHIS-/-ANAAL.NATHRAKH-/-Amon.Amarth-/-Avatar-/-Behemoth-/-BE'LAKOR-/-Belzebubs-/-BLACKBRAID-/-BRYMIR-/-CLOAK-/-Cryptosis-/-Dååth-/-Dark.Oath-/-DESTINITY-/-DIMMU.BORGIR-/-Ensiferum-/-ETERNAL.TEARS.OF.SORROW-/-Finntroll-/-Foretoken-/-Gaerea-/-GROZA-/-Hypocrisy-/-Ignea-/-IMMORTAL-/-In.Aphelion-/-Kalmah-/-Kanonenfieber-/-King.of.Asgard-/-KVAEN-/-Lucifer's.Child-/-MELECHESH-/-Mezarkabul(Pentagram)-/-MGŁA-/-MOONSHADE-/-MÖRK.GRYNING-/-NAILED.TO.OBSCURITY-/-Necrophobic-/-NETHERBIRD-/-Orbit.Culture-/-OUROBOROS-/-PERPETUAL.NIGHT-/-PSYCROPTIC-/-Rhapsody(Turilli-Lione)-/-SATYRICON-/-SHADE.EMPIRE-/-SHYLMAGOGHNAR-/-SODOMISERY-/-STORTREGN-/-Stratovarius-/-SYLOSIS-/-Testament-/-THE.COMMITTEE-/-THE.CROWN-/-THE.SEER-/-THE.SPIRIT-/-THULCANDRA-/-Tryglav-/-TRIBULATION-/-Trivium-/-Turisas-/-Ulfven-/-Unanimated-/-VREID-/-Warbringer-/-Whispered-/-Wintersun-/-WORMWITCH-/-WORMWOOD-/-Zornheym
    2018, 2019, 2020, 2024: Survivor
    2023: Skip year
    AstridDragon
    Petty Officer

by AstridDragon » Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:09 am

Ethrivas wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:24 am City/country:
    Ankara, Turkey

Age (optional):

Metallica - ...and Justice For All
    Slayer - South of Heaven
    Megadeth - So Far, So Good, So What?

Play any instruments?
    Sadly, no. Wish i could play drums, tho.

Top 5 bands?
    Hardest question tbh.
    Mors Principium Est, Allegaeon, Aeternam, Mgla, Be'lakor
    (Kalmah, Fleshgod Apocalypse, Melechesh, Wolfheart, Satyricon next in line)

What do you do?
    Technical Project Manager, used to be software developer

Bridge, Computer games, Science fiction and fantasy literature, AD&D 2nd Ed, Boardgames, Travel around the world.

What deck are you on?
    9th

Spiders (arachnophobia)
    Whoa second edition DnD! Have you played 3.5 or 5? Do you choose to stick with 2nd because you prefer it, or is that just what ya'll play?
    Ethrivas
    Chief Petty Officer

by Ethrivas » Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:06 am

AstridDragon wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:09 am Whoa second edition DnD! Have you played 3.5 or 5? Do you choose to stick with 2nd because you prefer it, or is that just what ya'll play?
    :) Played 3.5, was OK actually. Some pros (feats), some cons (attack of opportunity). My friends are bit conservative, hence stuck at 2nd.
    Wishlist 2025:1914-/-Ablaze.My.Sorrow-/-AEPHANEMER-/-Aeternam-/-AETHERIAN-/-AGATHODAIMON-/-ALESTORM-/-ALLEGAEON-/-AMORPHIS-/-ANAAL.NATHRAKH-/-Amon.Amarth-/-Avatar-/-Behemoth-/-BE'LAKOR-/-Belzebubs-/-BLACKBRAID-/-BRYMIR-/-CLOAK-/-Cryptosis-/-Dååth-/-Dark.Oath-/-DESTINITY-/-DIMMU.BORGIR-/-Ensiferum-/-ETERNAL.TEARS.OF.SORROW-/-Finntroll-/-Foretoken-/-Gaerea-/-GROZA-/-Hypocrisy-/-Ignea-/-IMMORTAL-/-In.Aphelion-/-Kalmah-/-Kanonenfieber-/-King.of.Asgard-/-KVAEN-/-Lucifer's.Child-/-MELECHESH-/-Mezarkabul(Pentagram)-/-MGŁA-/-MOONSHADE-/-MÖRK.GRYNING-/-NAILED.TO.OBSCURITY-/-Necrophobic-/-NETHERBIRD-/-Orbit.Culture-/-OUROBOROS-/-PERPETUAL.NIGHT-/-PSYCROPTIC-/-Rhapsody(Turilli-Lione)-/-SATYRICON-/-SHADE.EMPIRE-/-SHYLMAGOGHNAR-/-SODOMISERY-/-STORTREGN-/-Stratovarius-/-SYLOSIS-/-Testament-/-THE.COMMITTEE-/-THE.CROWN-/-THE.SEER-/-THE.SPIRIT-/-THULCANDRA-/-Tryglav-/-TRIBULATION-/-Trivium-/-Turisas-/-Ulfven-/-Unanimated-/-VREID-/-Warbringer-/-Whispered-/-Wintersun-/-WORMWITCH-/-WORMWOOD-/-Zornheym
    2018, 2019, 2020, 2024: Survivor
    2023: Skip year
    Decius88
    Oiler

by Decius88 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:12 am

City/country:
    Campbell River, British Columbia, Canada

Age (optional):

My parents, I was born metal! My dad listened to old school black sabbath, iron maiden, early metallica etc when I was still in the womb and my mother was into guns n roses, motley crew, and ACDC. I was headbanging in my car seat as a baby! \m/

Play any instruments?
    used to about 15 years ago

Top 5 bands?
    Ex Deo, Amon Amarth, Slipknot, Iron Maiden, Slayer

What do you do?
    Retired military, Current student learning Web and Mobile app development

Listen to metal, travel my local area in my car, video games, care for my dog, two cats, and seven pet rats.

What deck are you on?
    Deck 9

How is Sadie doing? (my dog)
    David Carmichael
    British Columbia Canada

Wish List:
    Alestorm|AmonAmarth|ArchEnemy|AtTheGates|AlienWeaponry|CattleDecapitation|DimmuBorgir|ExDeo|Gojira|Jinjer|LambofGod|Liberatia|Rammstein|Slipknot|TamaHills|Testament|The Agonist|Whitechapel
  • dog
    Wiper

by dog » Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:12 am

City/country:
    Frankfurt, Germany

Age (optional):
    45, yes, I am old, yes, pls help me across the street when you meet me

My brother gave me a Motley Crue LP once (33 years ago), then Anthrax, Metallica, Venom, Megadeth followed and then luckily Death Metal, my favorite, Cannibal Corpse etc..
    :deathmetal:

Play any instruments?
    Uhm, I played the violin ages ago, but i did the world a favor and quit

Top 5 bands?
    Cannibal Corpse (they arent human, they are gods)
    Amorphis
    Dimmu Borgir
    Kreator
    Omnium Gatherum

What do you do?
    i stare at screens the whole day

movies (the more people die and suffer in them, the better), books, concerts, visit restaurants , avoid facebook

What deck are you on?

Ok, its very creepy, I went to a Kim Wilde gig this year, even creepier: I kinda liked it :shock: it must be my age, sigh.
    Yes, I still like Cannibal Corpse more...
    Metal is FOREVEEEEEEEEEEEEER
    Skid Vodka
    Wiper

by Skid Vodka » Sat Dec 15, 2018 4:44 pm

City/country:
    Saint Louis, MO

Age (optional):

My friends brother was playing Symphony of Destruction and I fell in love with the sound. I think White Zombie and Pantera really hooked me in hard

Play any instruments?
    Vocals Here and There

Top 10 bands?
    (Currently)
    1. Immortal
    2. Rings of Saturn
    3. After the Burial
    4. Killswitch Engage
    5. Buried Alive
    6. The Dillinger Escape Plan
    7. Darkest Hour
    8. Death
    9. Behemeth
    10. Gorgoroth

What do you do?
    Plant Manager at a Salami Factory

what deck are you on?
    Deck 2 Room 2350

Im looking for my Roommates! Someone Help if you can point a brother in the right direction
    cegr80
    Lieutenant

by cegr80 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:21 pm

I'm seeing new users recently on the wishlist thread, so I thought about bumping this thread if anyone wants to introduce themselves
    2017.2018.2019.2020.2023.2024.GOLD.Survivor|2025 Wishlist:1349-1914-Aephanemer-Akercoke-Alcest-Alkaloid-AnaalNathrakh-AnAbstractIllusion-Atvm-Avatar-Avslut-Be'lakor-Belzebubs-ChapelOfDisease-Chthonic-Darkthrone-DiabloSwingOrchestra-Dimmu Borgir-Dodheimsgard-Draconian-EternalTearsOfSorrow-FreakKitchen-Hamferd-IATT-LochVostok-Marduk-NocnyKochanek-Satyricon-Schammasch-Scour-Shining(Nor)-Sigh-SulphurAeon-Turisas-Ulver-Virvum-Watain-WhiteWard
  • RunscroDawg
    Wiper

by RunscroDawg » Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:11 pm

Name's Matt

City/country:
    Hamilton, Ontario, Canada

Age (optional):

Grew up listening to my dads music which was mostly 70's prog and oddly enough 90's grunge. So really it was a mix of Alice in Chains/Soundgarden and Yes/King Crimson/Rush and then at some point in my early teens I discovered Black Sabbath and the rest was history.

Play any instruments?
    Not really, I own a bass and have played a little bit here and there but was never very committed to learning. Maybe one day.

Top 5 bands?
    Dio and Iron Maiden then everything else changes frequently but next 3 right now would be Alkaloid, Rivers of Nihil and Ne Obliviscaris

What do you do?
    Work as an operator at a wastewater treatment plant. I make sure lake ontario doesn't get filled with poo

Listen to music/attend concerts, play video games, read (mostly sci-fi and fantasy) go hiking, hangout at my favourite bar :chug:

What deck are you on?
    Was on deck 2 (2019) First year, just recently discovered the forums. I'll be back

Ask about the time I almost went to jail in the Kananaskis

2019: Survivor Cabin: 2362
    2020: Booked Cabin: 3240
    Chyna Pearl
    Oiler

Hi-Chyna Pearl here..8-]]

by Chyna Pearl » Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:47 am

Hey everyone!! I totally forgot to introduce myself last week when I joined--My name is Chyna Pearl (real name is Melanie)--I joined this website because it seems to be an awesome pace to be..I am just so happy to be here and talk to you guys in the forums..look forward to being here as often as I can..I hope everyone si having an awesome weekend!!! 8-]]] :shred:
    --ain't skeerd-- :shred:
    Chyna Pearl
    Oiler

by Chyna Pearl » Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:48 am

I made a couple of typos up there, sorry!! :bitch:
    --ain't skeerd-- :shred:
    Jaimie38
    Lieutenant

by Jaimie38 » Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:05 am

Welcome everyone! The forum used to be the go- to place for all things 70k, but the Facebook groups have kinda taken over...

Used to love logging in and seeing who was on!

:beerwink:
    9 Time Vet.
    TheOrderofChaos,Diemonds,Riot City, WMD,Demons & Wizards,Liv Sin,Suicidal Angels,Dee Snider
    Jaimie38
    Lieutenant

by Jaimie38 » Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:32 am

Jaimie38 wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:05 am Welcome everyone! The forum used to be the go- to place for all things 70k, but the Facebook groups have kinda taken over...

Used to love logging in and seeing who was on!

:beerwink:
    And here is mine from 2010 :shock:
    City-- Edmonton,Alberta,Canada--don'y worry no one does
    Age-38
    What got you into metal?- Started with the "gateway" bands! LOL Listened to KISS--typical top 40 stuff, then my brother got Back in Black-then got a little better, Motley , Priest then Christmas 1985-Maiden's Live after Death...done... finished...hooked.

Instrument-ummm....no... god AWFUL...
    Top 5
    Bah--not gonna bore anyone with this is-- Top Bands I want to see on the Cruise?-- SAXON! they never tour Canada, Iced Earth,Raven--seen Testament and Epica. Looking forward to discovering bands that maybe I thought I wouldn't like.

What do I do? Parts Manager Volvo Dealership--while a metalhead--also a gearhead who loves motorsports--went to Monaco last year for the F1 race
    Deck 6!! 6510 :cheers:
    9 Time Vet.
  • Katymoon
    Wiper

by Katymoon » Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:10 am

Hi guys! I'm Katy from Minsk. I'm UI designer. I'm glad to find this great community and to become a part of it.
    Jaimie38
    Lieutenant

by Jaimie38 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:48 am

Welcome all new folks! The Forum certainly is quite quiet than before.. Thanks for posting and any questions you may have ( and you do!) the people here are great and always helpful!

:pound:
    9 Time Vet.
    Castroh
    Chief Petty Officer

by Castroh » Sun Oct 10, 2021 8:58 pm

I’m Chris. Can’t wait to see all of your faces again! 🤞
    2012 - 2020 Survivor
    2023 - Booked!
    Pellaz
    Lieutenant

by Pellaz » Wed Jan 12, 2022 2:29 am

Castroh wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 8:58 pm I’m Chris. Can’t wait to see all of your faces again! 🤞
    (sounds almost like an AA meeting]

"Hi, Chris. We all have your same addiction. 70K. But there is a Higher Power that says.... 'So what?'" :lol: :lol:
    2025 Wishlist:
    1349--Abbath--Abigail.Williams--Aephanemer--Agalloch--Agathodaimon--Alien.Weaponry--Allegaeon--Amon.Amarth--Amorphis--Animals.As.Leaders--Arkona--Arsis--Atrocity--Ayreon--Bal.Sagoth--Baroness--Barren.Earth--Battlelore--Behemoth--Below.7--Belzebubs--Be'lakor--Black.Crown.Initiate--Bloodbath--Borknagar--Broken.Trinity--Cannibal.Corpse--Chthe'ilist--CoF--Countless.Skies--Cynic--Demons.&.Wizards--Dimmu.Borgir--Dark.Tranquillity--Dragonforce--Edge.of.Sanity--Witherscape--anything.Dan.Swano--Eluveitie--Eneferens--Ensiferum--Enslaved--Eternal.Tears.of.Sorrow--Evergrey--Exmortus--Ex.Deo--Fear.Factory--Fires.In.the.Distance--Gojira--Graveworm--Green.Carnation--Hypocrisy--Immortal--Insomnium--Irreversible.Mechanism--Kalmah--Kamelot--Keep.Of.Kalessin--Korpiklaani--Kreator--Leprous--Luciferan.Light.Orchestra--Loss--Melechesh--Meshuggah--Mezarkabul--Moonspell--Mors.Principium.Est--Myrath--Ne.Obliviscaris--Nile--Nokturnal.Mortem--NorthTale--Novembers.Doom--Obscura--Old.Mans.Child--Opeth--Paladin--Poisonblack--Powerwolf--Primordial--Rapheumet's.Well--Raven--Rivers.Of.Nihil--Ryujin--Sabaton--Sadistic.Ritual--Samael--Satyricon--Savatage--Scale.the.Summit--Scorched.Moon--Septic.Flesh--Serious.Black--Seven.Spires--Sigh--Skalmold--Slough.Feg--Starkill--Steorrah--SYL--Suidakra--Summoning--Tarot--Therion--Thy.Serpent--Tomarum--Tomb.Mold--Turisas--Twilight.Force--Tyr--Vale.Of.Pnath--Valhalore--Vesania--Vintersorg--Wolfchant--Yyrkoon
  • lampropelma
    Chief Petty Officer

by lampropelma » Mon Feb 21, 2022 6:43 am

City/country:Lievin/France

Age (optional):

at 16 years old, I have listen Thin Lizzy live and dangerous. Since this I listen metal

Play any instruments?
    no

Top 5 bands?
    difficult

Sister Sin
    Lutharo
    Arch Enemy
    Cradle of Filth
    Galneryus

What do you do?
    I work at Orange

I 'm married

I have an other hobby, I have tarantulas at home since 34 years, specialist on asian tarantulas, I have written books about tarantulas.
    pyratebastard
    Wiper

by pyratebastard » Wed Mar 30, 2022 9:53 am

Ahoy, ya bastards.

My name is Griff, and I've long wanted to attend this fine cruise. If it happens in 2023, I am there - all things are aligned at this time. I'm 34, and I'm from the eastern Mojave Desert (Needles, CA), though I live in Chula Vista near San Diego these days. I was in the Navy from 2012-18, and I do some contracting work for them now. I play guitar and bass, and particularly love me some thrash, death, and black metal. I'm looking forward to this thing happening next January, and bringing my best friend Jessie along for the ride.

Cheers!

P.S. Anyone know if they usually have any Pilsner Urquell on board, by chance?
    -Griffin Page

Purveyor of absolute bastardry.
    Daenerys
    Midshipman

by Daenerys » Mon Apr 11, 2022 4:19 pm

Welcome! And yes they have had Pilsner Urquell onbroad :beerwink:
    Voyager-Vuur-GrandMagus-Myrath-Borknagar-NovembersDoom-Aeternam-Havok-TheHaloEffect-Moonspell-SepticFlesh-Sigh-BarrenEarth-Iotunn-ScarSymmetry-Nekrogoblikon
  • EricPMulligan
    Wiper

by EricPMulligan » Wed Aug 24, 2022 6:45 pm

City/country:
    Ottawa / Canada

Age (optional):

I first got into Metallica and Ozzy Osbourne as a teen and then got introduced to Cradle of Filth and Dark Tranquillity around 2000 which completely changed my outlook on extreme metal and I became hooked.

Play any instruments?
    I play a bit of guitar, but I quickly understood that I was never going to become a Metal guitarist so I dove into a bit of concert promotion (2002 - 2004, Napalm Death, Lacuna Coil) and ran OttawaMetal.com from 2003 - 2007 where I wrote album and concert reviews and interviewed some bands (Anthrax, The Haunted, In Flames, among others). I also got into DJing where I predominantly DJed EBM / Synthpop / Industrial music but I occasionally DJed some Metal during some shows and fetish events.

Top 5 bands?
    Draconian
    Evergrey
    Dark Tranquillity
    Insomnium
    Swallow the Sun

What do you do?
    I'm a Software Developer at a major Fintech company in Canada doing fullstack with Rails / NodeJS backends and web / React Native frontends. Currently working on a musictech mobile app.

What deck are you on?
    Don't know yet. 2023 will be my first 7000 Tons of Metal and I can't wait!!!
  • Jotunheimr
    Midshipman

by Jotunheimr » Tue Sep 06, 2022 7:35 pm

Hey guys. I'm Justin (or JT) and I'm a 3 time survivor.

City/country:
    I spend my time between Las Vegas and Reno, NV, USA

Age (optional):

When I was around 12 or 13 me and my best friend would listen to his older brother's secret CD collection full of stuff he wasn't allowed to have including Metallica, Rob Zombie, Pantera, Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin, and Korn. From there, we discovered Nightwish, Children of Bodom, Bathory, Dimmu Borgir, and King Diamond. My favorite genre is folk metal but I also love blackened thrash, melodeath, and cheesy power metal.

Play any instruments?
    Classical piano since I was 5 and also guitar and drums.

Top 5 bands?
    Children of Bodom
    Wintersun
    Haggard
    Savatage
    Tyr

What do you do?
    I just went back to college and I teach piano lessons and private math and science classes.

I'm a Harry Potter geek and I love talking/debating with people online about the books and movies. I'm working on the debut album for my new melodeath solo project called Omnioscope. I like running, basketball, tennis, and coding (I make my own video games and send them to my little brothers to test).

Spend enough time with me at the Schooner Bar and you'll get an earful.

What deck are you on?
    Right now I don't plan on going. (Who knows how long that's going to last...)
    2015: 6511
    2016: 7455
    2020: 3240
    2025:

2024 Gigs: Tyr&Trollfest-/-Korpiklaani-/-Firewind-/-Kamelot-/-Exhumed-/-AmonAmarth

Wishlist: AdornedBrood-/-Alestorm-/-Arcturus-/-Arkona-/-Arsis-/-Artension-/-BeastInBlack-/-Blackguard-/-BlackMessiah-/-Borknagar-/-Carcass-/-CarpathianForest-/-CircleIICircle-/-Crownshift-/-Cruachan-/-Cryptosis-/-Dalriada-/-DerWegEinerFreiheit-/-DimmuBorgir-/-Einherjer-/-Eluveitie-/-Elvenking-/-Ensiferum-/-Enslaved-/-Equilibrium-/-Falconer-/-Falkenbach-/-Fejd-/-Feuerschwanz-/-Finntroll-/-Finsterforst-/-Firewind-/-FleshgodApocalypse-/-Folkearth-/-Forefather-/-Gåte-/-Glittertind-/-Gorguts-/-Haggard-/-HarakiriForTheSky-/-Heidevolk-/-Isengard-/-JonOlivasPain-/-Kampfar-/-KingOfAsgard-/-KivimetsanDruidi-/-Korpiklaani-/-Krisiun-/-LornaShore-/-Lumsk-/-Manegarm-/-Metsatoll-/-Mithotyn-/-Moonsorrow-/-Moonspell-/-Necrophagist-/-Nightwish-/-OfTheWandAndTheMoon-/-Otyg-/-Primordial-/-RiotV-/-RottingChrist-/-Sabaton-/-Savatage-/-SevenSpires-/-Skalmold-/-Skiltron-/-Skyforger-/-Sodom-/-Solstafir-/-Spellblast-/-SpiritsOfFire-/-SteelPanther-/-Svartsot-/-Swashbuckle-/-Testament-/-TheBlackDahliaMurder-/-TheHaunted-/-Thorondir-/-Thyrfing-/-ToxicHolocaust-/-Trollfest-/-Turisas-/-Tyr-/-Ulver-/-Varg-/-Verikalpa-/-Vintersorg-/-Warmen-/-Wintersun-/-Wolfchant
    Castroh
    Chief Petty Officer

by Castroh » Tue Sep 13, 2022 9:49 pm

Hi everyone, I’m Chris.

City/country: Chicago, IL USA

My step sister left Appetite For Destruction behind when my mom got divorced for the second time. I was 9, and it was a great auditory experience on my Walkman. I also had brain surgery in 2008 and metal helped with my recovery. It was extremely therapeutic.

Play any instruments? Banjo

Top 5 bands? If I could only listen to 5 artists for the rest of my life this is who I’d choose.
    1: Kalmah (best guitar work in human history)
    2: Die Apokalyptischen Reiter (best band to experience every human emotion possible)
    3. Ween (because of weed in high school)
    4. Sonata Arctica (They started my journey into European metal)
    5. Bela Fleck (Best banjo player)

What do you do?
    I dad, I husband, I music, I work hard, I metal cruise for a decade, I love art.

I try to spread love and joy to all around me. Sometimes I fail.

What's a creepy thing I can say when I see you that no stranger should know? Tell you about my experience being poisoned by mold.

What deck are you on? Depends, if wife is on the boat there’s a balcony. If it’s just me, I’m sailing in the biggest room I can afford when I get a booking code.
    2012 - 2020 Survivor
    2023 - Booked!
  • Kvltraven
    Oiler

by Kvltraven » Wed Sep 14, 2022 6:04 am

Jeff 42 years old from the United States
    Last edited by Kvltraven on Tue Jan 17, 2023 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    2023 Survivor
    AverageMetalDrummer
    Petty Officer

by AverageMetalDrummer » Tue Jan 17, 2023 2:39 pm

City/country:
    West Louisiana, USA (I wound up here by accident).

Age (optional):

It was 1985 or 86, my brother, who is 13 years older than me, listened to a bunch of metal from that period and played it all the time while I was around. The first ever song I have memories of hearing is “Some Heads are Gonna Roll” by Judas Priest. I remember singing along as a three or four year old without knowing the words. My Mom and brother confirmed this memory to be true years later. We were living in Germany at the time, and after my brother graduated high school he left all of his vinyl and cassettes behind. The collection included Sabbath, Priest, Maiden, Grim Reaper, etc. I found this stash years later, still living in Germany, in our basement when I was about 17 and getting ready to graduate. Memories began to flood back when I saw the covers. I hadn’t heard these albums in years. I was on a steady diet of Pantera, Sepultura, Machine Head, Pro-Pain, Crowbar, Rage (not “against the machine”), Pissing Razors, Skinlab, and many others. I got into more extreme stuff shortly after graduating. Anyway, finding those records and cassettes brought me back and I started to listen to the “older” stuff regularly again. I’ve always loved heavy music, literally since I was three or four. There aren’t many genres of metal that I don’t listen to.

Play any instruments?
    Mainly drums. I haven’t played in years due to lack of time and some nagging numbness in my hands I experience every time I play. I played in a metal band in high school and later I played in another band in Houston after moving stateside. I know how to play guitar, but my left hand’s fingers don’t cooperate, :lol: . I can also sing to an extent. I used to be able to hit the “Matt Barlow-level” high notes, but sadly, not anymore.

Top 5 bands?
    Two parts; all time top five and current top five

All Time:
    Iced Earth (I still appreciate the music in spite of recent events)
    Opeth
    Judas Priest
    Amon Amarth
    Dio

Current:
    Seven Spires
    Jorn
    Eluveitie
    Nightmare
    Katalepsy

What do you do?
    I’m the Chief of Quality Control on a large contract for a defense contractor.

Listen to music, lift weights, read, spend time with my family, play with my dogs.

What deck are you on?

What's a weird thing about you?
    My left big toe doesn’t have a “knuckle” joint.
    Last edited by AverageMetalDrummer on Wed Jan 18, 2023 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    toby
    Midshipman

by toby » Tue Jan 17, 2023 5:45 pm

Never did this, so why not...
    City/country:

New Orleans, LA, USA

Age (optional):

52 for another twenty something hours

KISS. Being from the New Orleans area, I listened to EVERYTHING growing up. Country from my dad. Beatles, Motown, and Philly Soul from my mom. All the 70s rock stuff from my uncle. Reggae and hippie stuff from my parrain (godfather). When I heard my first KISS song, that was the beginning of my path.

Play any instruments?

Yeah, I'm primarily a singer, but I've played guitar and keyboards for a while (VEEEERY rusty on keys). Just getting into bass and drums. When I was a kid, I played violin, sax, and trumpet. Actually trying to build up my embouchure again for trumpet since I miss it.

Top 5 bands?

Today...
    Iron Maiden
    Judas Priest
    Queensryche
    Orphaned Land
    Unleash The Archers

What do you do?

Director of Security and Compliance for an IT company. Basically a virtual CISO for hire.

Learn.

I can't think of anything, I'm already pretty weird(ed out).

What deck are you on?

2 on this round. First time in an interior low deck.
    Survivor 2019,2020,2023,2024/Wishlist...
    A.Sound.Of.Thunder/Accept/Ad.Infinitum/Aether.Realm/Alabama.Thunderpussy/Amaranthe/Anthrax/Arch.Enemy/Art.Of.Anarchy/At.The.Gates/Avantasia/Avatar/Burning.Witches/Cattle.Decapitation/Corrosion.Of.Conformity/Crowbar/Dark.Tranquillity/Death.Angel/Death.Dealer.Union/Deathless.Legacy/Devin.Townsend/Dragony/Dream.Theater/Edguy/Elegant.Weapons/Eluveitie/Ensiferum/Exhorder/Exodus/Fates.Warning/Goatwhore/Haken/Hammerfall/Havok/Helloween/Hellscore/Jinjer/Kerry.King/King.Diamond/King's.X/Kobra.and.the.Lotus/Lacuna.Coil/Mercyful.Fate/Meshuggah/Metal.Church/Moonspell/Mors.Principium.Est/Myrath/Napalm.Death/Ne.Obliviscaris/Nekrogoblikon/Northern.Kings/Opeth/Orphaned.Land/Overkill/Paradise.Lost/Persefone/Powerwolf/Queensryche/Rage/Raven/Ravenous.EH/Riot.V/Sabaton/Scardust/Scorched.Moon/Seven.Spires/SIGH/Skiltron/Solemn.Vision/Sonata.Arctica/Soto/Stratovarius/Subway.to.Sally/Suicidal.Tendencies/Svartsot/Symphony.X/Testament/The.Black.Dahlia.Murder/The.Hu/The.Unity/Tribunal/Trouble/Twilight.Force/Unleash.The.Archers/Van.Canto/Within.Temptation
  • Richo
    Oiler

by Richo » Thu Jan 19, 2023 11:28 am

Ricardo (Richo) and I'm a 6 time survivor.

City/country:
    Salvador, Brazil

Age (optional):

When I was 13 or 14. Accept probably was my first tape/vinyl

Play any instruments?
    No

Top 5 bands?
    Each year I change. All time? Metallica
    Amorphis
    Dark Tranquillity
    Saviour Machine
    Heavy Load
    Pretty Maids

What do you do?
    Auditor (Federal Employee). The Brazilian GAO (for americans)

Music, sports, Cats

Did yo starve to buy an album back in the day? 2 days without food to buy a Heavy Load "imported" album.

What deck are you on?
    Deck 2 (This time a friend of mine cant go so I am at the lottery of ramdom cabin).
    slayergeek
    Midshipman

by slayergeek » Sat Jan 21, 2023 9:40 am

Since I haven't done this since 2016...
    Ron Dorn this will be my 8th cruise. I have been on every year since 2014 (last year of the Majesty)

City/country:
    San Francisco Bay Area (Pleasant Hill), Ca

Age (optional):

Started out with Scorpions, and Def Leopard. Moved onto the local bands (Metallica, Exodus, Testament, Vio-lence, Death Angel Forbidden), then got into Death metal when I played bass for Impaled in their early years.

Play any instruments?
    Guitar, Bass, Drums, and Vocals

Top 5 bands?
    The Crown
    Testament
    Slayer
    The Black Dahlia Murder
    Archspire

What do you do?
    Software Developer for Salesforce

Play in the Death/Thrash band Absolute Darkness (Guitar/Lead Vocals).
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3E_29mALwL8

Develop and promote the 70K Bands app for this cruise.
    https://www.facebook.com/70kBands

I have a scare on my back left side from where they drain the septic puss from my torso

What deck are you on?
    Deck 8 The evil room! 8666
    Survivor
    • 2014,2015,2016,2017,2018,2019,2020,2023,2024,See_you_in_2025

Absolute_Darkness-Death/Thrash_Band_I_am_the_Singer/Guitarist_for
    • FacebookPage-https://www.facebook.com/BandAbsoluteDarkness

Thud_Bukit-Death/Comedy_Band_I_am_the_Singer/Guitarist/Drummer/Bassist_for
    • FacebookPage-https://www.facebook.com/Thud-Bukit-100960638505481

70k Bands - Unofficial iPhone/Android_app_of_the_70,000_tons_cruise
    WishList
    • Old_Man's_Child-/-Battle_Cross-/-Impaled-/-Dismember-/-Amon_Amarth-/-Dethklok-/-Gruesome-/-Rotten_Sound-/-As_Blood_Runs_Black-/-Through_The_Eyes_Of_The_Dead-/-Testament-/
    Pellaz
    Lieutenant

by Pellaz » Sun Jan 22, 2023 1:27 am

So, sure, time for an update. It's been since 2018. :shock:

City/country:
    Barrow County, Georgia, USA

Age (optional):
    Let's just say that I won't quite be 60 as of boarding day.

I was already into some rock and hard rock like Rush, etc. I was at a party and someone played Metallica's Master of Puppets which was just out at the time. I liked it and began to explore metal, and was introduced to Queensryche's Operation Mindcrime by a friend in WA. QR led back to Metallica (I befriended Kirk Hammett since we had similar literary tastes) and then I came around into progressive metal in the glory days of the Dream Theater mailing list (Ytsejam). From there I got into heavier, darker stuff like Opeth and Dimmu Borgir and nowadays I'm mostly into that.

Play any instruments?
    The stereo, the steering wheel, and oddly enough, African and middle-eastern hand-percussion (djembes, doumbeks, etc.) I'm pretty damned good within a drum-circle but not quite good enough to lead one effectively.
    I also "play" the control board in a broadcast radio studio: I've been doing Atlanta's weekly metal radio show WREKage since around 1999, as a volunteer. 100,000 effective radiated watts of metal. :headbanger: http://www.wrekage.org

Top 5 bands?
    Top 5 Metal bands of all time: Devin Townsend, Type O Negative, Fear Factory, Dimmu Borgir, Ne Obliviscaris
    Top 5 Metal bands at the moment: Be'Lakor, Aephanemer, Belzebubs, Countless Skies, Amorphis
    Top 5 non-metal: Ozric Tentacles, Dead Can Dance, The Cruxshadows, Ayreon (older), Faith & the Muse

What do you do?
    Lead customer service rep, US Government/Dept. of the Treasury

I read and write SF and fantasy, swim, freedive, snorkel, go railfanning, play at playing disc golf, and I placate my 18-year old cat.

What deck are you on?
    8, aft. Same balcony stateroom as I've had in past years.

You can ask to see my one (1) scar. (It's not hidden or anything.)
    2025 Wishlist:
  • rocking apple
    Crewman

by rocking apple » Mon Jan 23, 2023 8:30 pm

Ozric Tentacles - the best Band for ever !!!
    Pellaz
    Lieutenant

by Pellaz » Mon Jan 23, 2023 10:45 pm

rocking apple wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 8:30 pm Ozric Tentacles - the best Band for ever !!!
    If Andy ever booked them, 95% of all cruisers would be saying "WTF, this isn't metal!!?!!"
    But those of us who KNOW, and the numerous metal musicians who are fans*, would be saying "FUCK yeah!" :lol:

Heck, book 'em, Andy! They could just play "Kick Muck," a "fairly raucous one," 12 times in a row. :twisted:

-----
    * Devin Townsend, Mikael Akerfeldt, Brian Fair, Mike Portnoy, Gregoor Van der Loo, and many more.....
    2025 Wishlist:
Post Reply 3967 posts