Post Reply 1468 posts
Gamers
  • DJ Old Man Stares
    Midshipman

Re: Gamers

by DJ Old Man Stares » Thu Oct 16, 2014 3:06 pm

Feanorgandalf wrote:
    sageoftruth wrote:This week I decided to fire up my old PS2 to play some Persona 4. I forgot how great that game was. I spent about 5 hours on it yesterday. I'm planning to beat it and enter New Game+ so I can max out all social links by the end.

So many good games on that system. I loved Persona, Xenosaga games, Shadow of the Colossus, ICO, God of War. Such an amazing system with too many good games. sadly it was the generation that started to destroy everything i ever loved about final fantasy games

I'm with you on the Xenosaga games. Episode III of Xenosaga was so good. Xenogears is still one of my alltime favorites. Currently I'm playing Xenoblade Chronicles on the Wii and its the only game I bought the system for and has actually been worth the hard earned cash.
    Wishlist: Razor, Sacrifice, Laaz Rockit, Mekong Delta, Flames (GRC), Bal Sagoth, Running Wild, Sodom, Paradox, Exciter, Dark Angel, Sadus, Attacker, Believer, Emperor, Skelator, Spellcaster, Aeternus, Holy Moses, Setherial
    domith88
    Oiler

by domith88 » Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:04 am

Anyone play Small World on steam or any other euro games? Would be cool to get a group together for some online gaming :headbanger:

Also, anyone on FFXIV? I am on balmung server if anyone wants to quest together!
  • alex_canada
    Ensign

by alex_canada » Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:48 pm

So pumped for the new smash bros. 8 players!
    3 Inches of Blood, Amon Amarth, Andrew WK, Be'lakor, Blind Guardian, Ne Obliviscaris, Nightwish, Unleash the Archers, Wuthering Heights
  • sageoftruth
    Lieutenant

by sageoftruth » Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:58 am

DJ Old Man Stares wrote:
    Feanorgandalf wrote:
    sageoftruth wrote:This week I decided to fire up my old PS2 to play some Persona 4. I forgot how great that game was. I spent about 5 hours on it yesterday. I'm planning to beat it and enter New Game+ so I can max out all social links by the end.

So many good games on that system. I loved Persona, Xenosaga games, Shadow of the Colossus, ICO, God of War. Such an amazing system with too many good games. sadly it was the generation that started to destroy everything i ever loved about final fantasy games

I'm with you on the Xenosaga games. Episode III of Xenosaga was so good. Xenogears is still one of my alltime favorites. Currently I'm playing Xenoblade Chronicles on the Wii and its the only game I bought the system for and has actually been worth the hard earned cash.

I have Xenosaga 1 and 2, but haven't played them yet. Before I could get around to playing them, I started hearing horror stories about how it was filled to the brim with watching and very little actual playing. Someday, I'll give it a shot. I just hope I enjoy the watching. Having just played Persona 4, I suppose I have little to gripe about. JRPGs tend to just be like that.
    Nonetheless, my experience with Persona 4 will leave Xenosaga hard-pressed to impress me with said cut-scenes. Persona 4's non-gaming moments are like an entire game's worth of character development without any flashbacks. By the end it feels like all the main character's friends are your friends.
    gundiesalvo
    Petty Officer

by gundiesalvo » Sat Nov 08, 2014 4:50 pm

Phoenix wrote:
    Feanorgandalf wrote:

^ So much of this. Final Fantasy X was the last one I truly loved. Squeenix will have a lot to do to try and win me back with XV.

I loved the PS2, but I was one of the ones that had greater love for the Gamecube. Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance was enough to make that console worth it.

Baten Kaitos, Skies of Arcadia Legends, Tales of Symphonia. If you haven't played those keep an eye out for them, should be easy to come by a 2nd hand copy if there's a decent game store near you.

klons wrote:
    My one biggest and eternal gripe with current gen gaming is that the more traditional JRPGs no longer exist. I miss the days of actual stories, turn based combat and 60+ hour single player epics... :cry:

SNES.. now that was the golden age.

Couldn't agree more, it's been a while since I was really satisfied after finishing a game.

It's sad to think that when faced with problems like poor graphics, limited memory and processing power to deal with and so on designers thrived to develop engaging stories and interesting characters, and work within their limited resources to diversify gameplay. Not to mention they were doing this often with few personel and limited budget. And you'd think that now, spending millions on game development, having hundreds of people involved in the production of one single game, they'd be able to provide noticeably better games, and instead, but for a few exceptions like Skyrim, you end up disapointed at their evident lack of effort and sheer laziness. Even GTA V, I was really looking forward to it, and it kinda felt like San Andreas with better graphics and not much more.
    70000 Tons 2015 Cabin 2604
    70000 Tons 2016 ?
    Wishlist:to-be-filled-in-later
    CountArioch
    Petty Officer

by CountArioch » Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:52 am

Bah, I got Dragon Age Inquisition and I can't get it to play right. Despite my computer specs being in excess of what is required to play the game, it hits 10 fps at the most, every bit of reflected light is pure white so everything is distractingly shiny, and it's pretty much unplayable. It wants to patch before it runs, but then it says it can't because Origin is using a random folder and it can't patch. At least I have the discs, with any luck I can get this to play one day.
  • Phoenix
    Lieutenant

by Phoenix » Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:02 am

CountArioch wrote:Bah, I got Dragon Age Inquisition and I can't get it to play right. Despite my computer specs being in excess of what is required to play the game, it hits 10 fps at the most, every bit of reflected light is pure white so everything is distractingly shiny, and it's pretty much unplayable. It wants to patch before it runs, but then it says it can't because Origin is using a random folder and it can't patch. At least I have the discs, with any luck I can get this to play one day.

This is why, a), I never buy PC games until the driver updates resolve the issues, and b), I don't give EA my money. Ever.

Survivor:
    Out for 2023
    Brodd
    Petty Officer

by Brodd » Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:22 am

I've been playing a lot of pvp in Guild Wars 2 lately, but I'm just looking forward to getting the new Super Smash Brothers game. All hell is gonna break loose :D
    "Vi kæmper kun for øl
    Vi kæmper kun for øl
    Vi kæmper kun for øl og for penge
    Og hvis vi ingen penge får
    Og ingen øl ligeså
    Så må i kæmpe kampen uden os!"
    Skål!

70K 2011, Barge to Hell, 70K 2015
  • DJ Old Man Stares
    Midshipman

by DJ Old Man Stares » Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:37 pm

Brodd wrote:I've been playing a lot of pvp in Guild Wars 2 lately, but I'm just looking forward to getting the new Super Smash Brothers game. All hell is gonna break loose :D

The new Smash Bros game is pretty rad. They actually have Shulk on there as a playable character from Xenoblade Chronicles. Its awesome watching a giant robot came down and blow everything up while 8 characters are fighting eachother.
    Wishlist: Razor, Sacrifice, Laaz Rockit, Mekong Delta, Flames (GRC), Bal Sagoth, Running Wild, Sodom, Paradox, Exciter, Dark Angel, Sadus, Attacker, Believer, Emperor, Skelator, Spellcaster, Aeternus, Holy Moses, Setherial
    Brodd
    Petty Officer

by Brodd » Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:23 am

I got the 3DS version, but thats just a warm-up for the Wii U version. Shulk is a very interesting character, but I need use him more, so I can figure out which of his different buffs to use.
    I hope to get the game on Friday. We are a group of friends who have planned to play in the weekend. So let the 8 man smash mayhem begin :D
    "Vi kæmper kun for øl
    Vi kæmper kun for øl
    Vi kæmper kun for øl og for penge
    Og hvis vi ingen penge får
    Og ingen øl ligeså
    Så må i kæmpe kampen uden os!"
    Skål!

70K 2011, Barge to Hell, 70K 2015
  • sageoftruth
    Lieutenant

by sageoftruth » Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:44 am

CountArioch wrote:Bah, I got Dragon Age Inquisition and I can't get it to play right. Despite my computer specs being in excess of what is required to play the game, it hits 10 fps at the most, every bit of reflected light is pure white so everything is distractingly shiny, and it's pretty much unplayable. It wants to patch before it runs, but then it says it can't because Origin is using a random folder and it can't patch. At least I have the discs, with any luck I can get this to play one day.

Sorry to hear that. On the other hand, thanks for posting about it. I was trying to decide whether it was worth my money. I was starting to suspect that I'd been missing out on something by not touching the Dragon Age franchise, but I make a practice of not touching new games until I've seen a credible first impression of them online from someone like TotalBiscuit. Anyway, hopefully someone will patch that eventually.
  • sageoftruth
    Lieutenant

by sageoftruth » Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:57 am

After having it sit in my Steam library for months, I finally decided to give Dark Souls 2 a try. This is the first of the Souls games that I've played on my PC. It looks MUCH better than Dark Souls 1 did on my PS3.

I tried being the soldier, but starting out with a broken sword was real pain. I found myself using random weapon drops from the cannon fodder enemies early on in place of it, but they broke very easily.

After dying repeatedly and using up all of my life gems, I started over as the Knight. It went much better. I got to start with a broad sword instead of a broken one, and my high vitality gave me more opportunities to work on the timing for parrying. The knight is definitely the class of choice for your first playthrough.
    Rusalka
    Oiler

by Rusalka » Fri Nov 28, 2014 2:03 pm

sageoftruth wrote:I just beat The Witcher. Damn, what an awesome story. So far, it has been a book, a comic book, and a video game. I wonder how it would fare as a TV series.

Anyway, I'm tempted to retry it with new choices and a higher difficulty, but I heard my decisions can carry over to Witcher 2, so I've got to see how that works out.

So, I'm back after a while :oops: and I can see I missed a lot - for example, you finishing the game at least once :mrgreen:

I also finished it once again, just recently, and I'm thinking of playing the Witcher 2 again. Surprisingly, I played the original game on non-humans side and I made the same choices the second time (damn, I'm starting to notice an idiotic pattern here), doubt it'll be anything different with part 2. The same is with Skyrim, I never seem to be able to be with on the Stormcloaks' side until the very end, I simply love and support the idea of the Empire (and for the Emperor!), although, looking from the political perspective (which is, actually, the only important perspective) - I can also support the Stormcloaks. Nevermind, I've wondered off the topic here.

Don't know if anyone mentioned it before me, but there is a TV show, as well as a movie: http://witcher.wikia.com/wiki/The_Hexer_%28TV_series%29 . I've never watched them, but I plan to, even though I've read the comments, even the comment of Mr. Sapkowski himself, that the movie is horrible!

Anyhow, have you read the books? I'm finishing book 4 of the Witcher saga - The Swallow's Tower and it's an understatement to say that I'm simply fascinated with all books (I've also read two books with storylines preceding the Witcher saga: The Last Wish and Sword of Destiny). There are a lot of elements I recognize from other epic fantasy novels, fairytales, legends, and of course, mostly from Slavic mythology, but it doesn't make the plot any less interesting - on the contrary. I am very sad to be coming to an end of the Witcher era (got two more books left and that's it, for now) :cry:

Btw. one advice (if it's not too late): re-visit all locations with monster as many times as you can, because it will give you experience necessary for advancement and building of your character!
  • sageoftruth
    Lieutenant

by sageoftruth » Tue Dec 02, 2014 1:51 pm

Rusalka wrote:
    sageoftruth wrote:I just beat The Witcher. Damn, what an awesome story. So far, it has been a book, a comic book, and a video game. I wonder how it would fare as a TV series.

Anyway, I'm tempted to retry it with new choices and a higher difficulty, but I heard my decisions can carry over to Witcher 2, so I've got to see how that works out.

So, I'm back after a while :oops: and I can see I missed a lot - for example, you finishing the game at least once :mrgreen:

I also finished it once again, just recently, and I'm thinking of playing the Witcher 2 again. Surprisingly, I played the original game on non-humans side and I made the same choices the second time (damn, I'm starting to notice an idiotic pattern here), doubt it'll be anything different with part 2. The same is with Skyrim, I never seem to be able to be with on the Stormcloaks' side until the very end, I simply love and support the idea of the Empire (and for the Emperor!), although, looking from the political perspective (which is, actually, the only important perspective) - I can also support the Stormcloaks. Nevermind, I've wondered off the topic here.

Don't know if anyone mentioned it before me, but there is a TV show, as well as a movie: http://witcher.wikia.com/wiki/The_Hexer_%28TV_series%29 . I've never watched them, but I plan to, even though I've read the comments, even the comment of Mr. Sapkowski himself, that the movie is horrible!

Anyhow, have you read the books? I'm finishing book 4 of the Witcher saga - The Swallow's Tower and it's an understatement to say that I'm simply fascinated with all books (I've also read two books with storylines preceding the Witcher saga: The Last Wish and Sword of Destiny). There are a lot of elements I recognize from other epic fantasy novels, fairytales, legends, and of course, mostly from Slavic mythology, but it doesn't make the plot any less interesting - on the contrary. I am very sad to be coming to an end of the Witcher era (got two more books left and that's it, for now) :cry:

Btw. one advice (if it's not too late): re-visit all locations with monster as many times as you can, because it will give you experience necessary for advancement and building of your character!

At this point, I've gone all the way with both sides. Either way, you end up fighting for genocide, so it is pretty bittersweet. At some point, maybe I'll try doing as little as possible for both sides and see what happens.

As for the books, I've finished book four. Apparently, there are two more, but I don't think they've been translated yet. I'd definitely like to read them if they are. I can't stand being left hanging like this with the plot unfinished.
    CountArioch
    Petty Officer

by CountArioch » Thu Dec 04, 2014 3:07 pm

sageoftruth wrote:

Sorry to hear that. On the other hand, thanks for posting about it. I was trying to decide whether it was worth my money. I was starting to suspect that I'd been missing out on something by not touching the Dragon Age franchise, but I make a practice of not touching new games until I've seen a credible first impression of them online from someone like TotalBiscuit. Anyway, hopefully someone will patch that eventually.

I've actually managed to make it work. It was 50% bad decisions on EA's part (the shininess is because any mesh lower than "high" is messed up), and 50% my end (my laptop is 2 years old and the game doesn't recognize my video card so it switched to the system's card instead of my external card. Took some convincing to make it get along).

Other than a few minor broken side-quests and the fact that you need to be in a very precise place to loot anything (takes me forever to find the magic spot when I want to loot stuff), I'd say it's the a very good game. It has the feel of Dragon Age 1 and the faster combat of Dragon Age 2 (without every battle having two or three waves of reinforcements like Dragon Age 2 had).
  • klons
    Chief Petty Officer

by klons » Thu Dec 04, 2014 3:19 pm

http://kotaku.com/a-month-long-race-to-see-who-can-finish-21-final-fantas-1666145779

Two guys racing to speed-run through 21 Final Fantasy games in a month.
    2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017 Survivor.
  • sageoftruth
    Lieutenant

by sageoftruth » Fri Dec 05, 2014 9:16 am

klons wrote:http://kotaku.com/a-month-long-race-to-see-who-can-finish-21-final-fantas-1666145779

Two guys racing to speed-run through 21 Final Fantasy games in a month.

"It's an insane, sleep-depriving mission that will likely drive both participants insane"

My thoughts exactly. Each random encounter must feel like passing a kidney stone.
    It's kind of hilarious seeing such story-based games being treated as races to the finish.
    The characters will be all drama drama drama drama and the player will be going, "Shut up shut up shut up SHUT UP!!!"
    "Come on Celes! Can't you cross the stage faster?"
    "Aww crap! The villain is monologuing again!"
    "No! I didn't mean to talk to that NPC!"
    Warphine
    Ensign

by Warphine » Fri Dec 05, 2014 2:45 pm

CountArioch wrote:
    I've actually managed to make it work. It was 50% bad decisions on EA's part (the shininess is because any mesh lower than "high" is messed up), and 50% my end (my laptop is 2 years old and the game doesn't recognize my video card so it switched to the system's card instead of my external card. Took some convincing to make it get along).

Other than a few minor broken side-quests and the fact that you need to be in a very precise place to loot anything (takes me forever to find the magic spot when I want to loot stuff), I'd say it's the a very good game. It has the feel of Dragon Age 1 and the faster combat of Dragon Age 2 (without every battle having two or three waves of reinforcements like Dragon Age 2 had).

Sucks you had issues with it. The game worked flawlessly right out of the box for me and hasn't crashed once and I'm 15 hours in.
    Survivor of 2012, BTH, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017

Aborted/Abysmal-Dawn/Abyssal/Ade/Adversarial/Aenaon/Aeon/Aeternam/Alkaloid/Antichrist/APMD/Archspire/Autopsy/Barren-Earth/Benighted/Beyond-Creation/Black-Breath/Blues-Pills/Bodyfarm/Bölzer/Byzantine/Carnal-Forge/Church-of-Misery/Condition-Critical/Condor/Craven-Idol/The-Crown/Cut-Up/Dark-Fortress/Darkest-Hour/Dark-Tranquillity/Dead-Congregation/Death-Breath/Deathhammer/Defeated-Sanity/Degial/Denner-Shermann/Deströyer-666/Deviant-Process/Diabolic-Night/Dew-Scented/Divinity/Division-Speed/Dyscarnate/Ensnared/Evil-Invaders/Execration/Firespawn/Foreseen/Funeral-Whore/Goatwhore/Gorod/Graveyard(Sweden-or-Spain)/Gruesome/Hail-of-Bullets/Haken/Harlott/Harm(Norway)/Hellbringer/Hooded-Menace/Hypocrisy/Igorrr/In-Twilight's-Embrace/Inanimate-Existence/Inculter/Inferi/Infestus/Insomnium/Jess-And-The-Ancient-Ones/King's-Evil/Kreator/Legion-of-the-Damned/Lich-King/Lvcifyre/Maat/Mammoth-Grinder/Man-Must-Die/Meshuggah/Mgla/Miasmal/Miseration/Mitochondrian/Mutoid-Man/Nader-Sadek/Nails/Ne-Obliviscaris/Necrophobic/Necrot/Negative-Plane/Nekrofilth/Nekromantheon/Nevermore/Nightbreed/Night-Flight-Orchestra/Nigredo/Nocturnal-Graves/Obliteration(Norway)/Obscura/Obscure-Infinity/Obsequiae/October-Tide/Onslaught/Opeth/Orator/Outre/Pallbearer/Persefone/Perversifier/Pestifer/Phrenelith/Power-Trip/Pro-Pain/Protector/Purson/Ranger/Ramming-Speed/Razor/Recueil-Morbide/Repugnant/Ripper/Scorched/Scythian/Septicflesh/Serpents-Lair/Shape-of-Despair/Shrine-of-Insanabilis/Skeletonwitch/Solipsist/Solution-.45/Sorcery/Soreption/Speedtrap/Speedwolf/Suffering-Hour/Sulphur-Aeon/Svart-Crown/Swallow-The-Sun/Swallowed/Sylosis/Take-Over-And-Destroy/Teethgrinder/Temple-of-Baal/Temple-of-Void/Terrifier/Thantifaxath/Thy-Darkened-Shade/Toxic-Holocaust/Tribulation/Triptykon/Triumvir-Foul/Turbid-North/Ulsect/Uncle-Acid/Unfathomable-Ruination/Vampire/Vastum/Vektor/Venefixion/Venenum/Vicious-Art/Vomitory/Vorum/Warbringer/Watain/Witchcraft/Witchery/Wolfheart/Year-of-the-Goat/Zhrine/ZOM

Green - Most Wanted | Red - Booked
    Warphine
    Ensign

by Warphine » Fri Dec 05, 2014 2:46 pm

sageoftruth wrote:After having it sit in my Steam library for months, I finally decided to give Dark Souls 2 a try. This is the first of the Souls games that I've played on my PC. It looks MUCH better than Dark Souls 1 did on my PS3.

I tried being the soldier, but starting out with a broken sword was real pain. I found myself using random weapon drops from the cannon fodder enemies early on in place of it, but they broke very easily.

After dying repeatedly and using up all of my life gems, I started over as the Knight. It went much better. I got to start with a broad sword instead of a broken one, and my high vitality gave me more opportunities to work on the timing for parrying. The knight is definitely the class of choice for your first playthrough.

LOVE this game! I just beat it like a month ago. I started playing it immediately after finishing Dark Souls 1 earlier this year (I was late to the DS party).
    Survivor of 2012, BTH, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017

Aborted/Abysmal-Dawn/Abyssal/Ade/Adversarial/Aenaon/Aeon/Aeternam/Alkaloid/Antichrist/APMD/Archspire/Autopsy/Barren-Earth/Benighted/Beyond-Creation/Black-Breath/Blues-Pills/Bodyfarm/Bölzer/Byzantine/Carnal-Forge/Church-of-Misery/Condition-Critical/Condor/Craven-Idol/The-Crown/Cut-Up/Dark-Fortress/Darkest-Hour/Dark-Tranquillity/Dead-Congregation/Death-Breath/Deathhammer/Defeated-Sanity/Degial/Denner-Shermann/Deströyer-666/Deviant-Process/Diabolic-Night/Dew-Scented/Divinity/Division-Speed/Dyscarnate/Ensnared/Evil-Invaders/Execration/Firespawn/Foreseen/Funeral-Whore/Goatwhore/Gorod/Graveyard(Sweden-or-Spain)/Gruesome/Hail-of-Bullets/Haken/Harlott/Harm(Norway)/Hellbringer/Hooded-Menace/Hypocrisy/Igorrr/In-Twilight's-Embrace/Inanimate-Existence/Inculter/Inferi/Infestus/Insomnium/Jess-And-The-Ancient-Ones/King's-Evil/Kreator/Legion-of-the-Damned/Lich-King/Lvcifyre/Maat/Mammoth-Grinder/Man-Must-Die/Meshuggah/Mgla/Miasmal/Miseration/Mitochondrian/Mutoid-Man/Nader-Sadek/Nails/Ne-Obliviscaris/Necrophobic/Necrot/Negative-Plane/Nekrofilth/Nekromantheon/Nevermore/Nightbreed/Night-Flight-Orchestra/Nigredo/Nocturnal-Graves/Obliteration(Norway)/Obscura/Obscure-Infinity/Obsequiae/October-Tide/Onslaught/Opeth/Orator/Outre/Pallbearer/Persefone/Perversifier/Pestifer/Phrenelith/Power-Trip/Pro-Pain/Protector/Purson/Ranger/Ramming-Speed/Razor/Recueil-Morbide/Repugnant/Ripper/Scorched/Scythian/Septicflesh/Serpents-Lair/Shape-of-Despair/Shrine-of-Insanabilis/Skeletonwitch/Solipsist/Solution-.45/Sorcery/Soreption/Speedtrap/Speedwolf/Suffering-Hour/Sulphur-Aeon/Svart-Crown/Swallow-The-Sun/Swallowed/Sylosis/Take-Over-And-Destroy/Teethgrinder/Temple-of-Baal/Temple-of-Void/Terrifier/Thantifaxath/Thy-Darkened-Shade/Toxic-Holocaust/Tribulation/Triptykon/Triumvir-Foul/Turbid-North/Ulsect/Uncle-Acid/Unfathomable-Ruination/Vampire/Vastum/Vektor/Venefixion/Venenum/Vicious-Art/Vomitory/Vorum/Warbringer/Watain/Witchcraft/Witchery/Wolfheart/Year-of-the-Goat/Zhrine/ZOM

Green - Most Wanted | Red - Booked
  • sageoftruth
    Lieutenant

by sageoftruth » Tue Dec 09, 2014 12:30 pm

Warphine wrote:
    sageoftruth wrote:After having it sit in my Steam library for months, I finally decided to give Dark Souls 2 a try. This is the first of the Souls games that I've played on my PC. It looks MUCH better than Dark Souls 1 did on my PS3.

LOVE this game! I just beat it like a month ago. I started playing it immediately after finishing Dark Souls 1 earlier this year (I was late to the DS party).

Cool . What build did you go for?
  • sageoftruth
    Lieutenant

by sageoftruth » Tue Dec 09, 2014 12:46 pm

Hey good news.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/vi ... C-Controls

Perhaps this will set the date when I give this game a purchase.
    CountArioch
    Petty Officer

by CountArioch » Tue Dec 16, 2014 1:24 am

The controls are better after the patch, but it's still kind of a pain to loot things, and characters like to fidget if they're too close to bad guys when you use an ability.

Also, there are nipples in Dragon Age: Inquisition. Not male nipples, the good kind. I was kind of shocked, I was expecting fully clothed humping like in other Bioware games, but I was shocked. Like holy crap, Cassandra's Nipples...
  • sageoftruth
    Lieutenant

by sageoftruth » Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:34 am

Warphine wrote:

I haven't finished Dark Souls 2 yet, but I just started a new build, and I think it is now my favorite. I chose the swordmaster and am now power-stancing (dual wielding). It's so intense, being able to hit hard, but being unable to block, or take much damage, since you need to invest a lot in strength and dexterity and endurance just to power stance effectively. After all, you need 150% of each weapon's stat requirements to power stance at all.
    Anyway, it makes the boss fights a lot faster, since I can hit so hard, and killing bosses in melee combat without being able to block makes you feel so badass.
  • sageoftruth
    Lieutenant

by sageoftruth » Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:03 am

Oh, by the way, Rusalka, did you hear that the new Witcher 3 game is going to have Ciri as a playable character?

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/vi ... ay-as-Ciri
  • sageoftruth
    Lieutenant

by sageoftruth » Tue Dec 23, 2014 10:10 am

Have any of you played the latest Devil May Cry? Someone's working on a mod to turn it into a cheap Spanish soap opera.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/ ... -gentleman

Some guys who refused to buy it before are now considering their options.
    taketheday
    Chief Petty Officer

by taketheday » Sat Dec 27, 2014 3:18 am

I am a regular player of

http://ryzom.com/?lang=en

I had created a character, never did all the jobs and I was begin to be tired to not be able to continue with all the possibilities of the game. For a while I decided to stop to play, but after a little bit more than a year I was back with a new character. I did all the four jobs and now I am trying my best to gain more experiences, also thanks of the guild and other players :mrgreen:

2013: 7545
    2014: 9554
    2015: 2633
    2016 and 2019: 7320
    2017/2018: 7624
    2020: 7324

https://www.facebook.com/Bands.support.and.promotion
  • Feanorgandalf
    Chief Petty Officer

by Feanorgandalf » Sat Dec 27, 2014 9:12 pm

My Xmas and Boxing Day (Canada) haul. Need to get GTAV finished now and start to work on this

• sageoftruth
    Lieutenant

by sageoftruth » Mon Jan 05, 2015 9:23 am

Feanorgandalf wrote:My Xmas and Boxing Day (Canada) haul. Need to get GTAV finished now and start to work on this

DAMN! That's a lot of games. It's been years since I got any games for Christmas, probably because the risk of me already owning them or not being into them is too high (The trial of having a game enthusiast for a son). Looks like you've got a busy year ahead of you. Have fun.

Also, do I see a game there that has Toad as the main hero? This is news to me. Tell me how it plays when you get the chance.
  • sageoftruth
    Lieutenant

by sageoftruth » Mon Jan 05, 2015 9:36 am

I regret to report that just 4 days in, I already broke one of my resolutions. Anyone hear about the new Guilty Gear Xrd (Definitely up there on the list of silly Japanese game titles)? Since the game was missing a lot of characters, selling some as DLC, and would undoubtedly have them all available for free in some sequel a year from now (being an episodic fighting game and all), I had resolved to ignore this one and buy the sequel when it inevitably came out.

I failed. Its charm was too much for me to resist and I ended up getting it last night. :oops: The worst part was how it wasn't even the gameplay itself that won me over. It was the characters and the presentation. Arc Systems Works has a way of doing that to me with their games. I don't even play online matches in fighting games. Shame on me.
  • Feanorgandalf
    Chief Petty Officer

by Feanorgandalf » Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:08 pm

sageoftruth wrote:
    Feanorgandalf wrote:My Xmas and Boxing Day (Canada) haul. Need to get GTAV finished now and start to work on this

DAMN! That's a lot of games. It's been years since I got any games for Christmas, probably because the risk of me already owning them or not being into them is too high (The trial of having a game enthusiast for a son). Looks like you've got a busy year ahead of you. Have fun.

Also, do I see a game there that has Toad as the main hero? This is news to me. Tell me how it plays when you get the chance.

Yeah Captain Toad Treasure Tracker. In the new Mario 3D World on the WiiU there were these bonus levels incolving toad walking around collecting stars. more of a puzzle style. they made a gave of it. something like 75 levels
    CountArioch
    Petty Officer

by CountArioch » Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:44 am

I played a demo of Captain Toad at the local Best Buy, and I have to say it is a cute and engaging game. If I had a Wii U (or even a place to put one, I'm very limited on space), I'd pick it up.

My DA:I fever has since run its course, and I'm considering picking up a new game. Thinking Dragon's Dogma, so I can be a pimp. Also one of my coworkers speaks highly of it.
  • Phoenix
    Lieutenant

by Phoenix » Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:02 am

I have a massive backlog :/ not just on Steam, but on my 3DS of all platforms, as I discovered. Not done SMT IV yet, Persona Q, I had Professor Layton vs Phoenix Wright (because Phoenix Wright!), finally got my hands on Etrian Odyssey IV, and then got a hilarious Atlus game called Conception II that actually turned out to be really fun.

So uh... as you can tell, in addition to being a PC gamer I like JRPGs, J-SRPGs and J-ARPGs. Anyone else here a giant nerd?

Survivor:
    Out for 2023
  • sageoftruth
    Lieutenant

by sageoftruth » Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:52 am

Phoenix wrote:I have a massive backlog :/ not just on Steam, but on my 3DS of all platforms, as I discovered. Not done SMT IV yet, Persona Q, I had Professor Layton vs Phoenix Wright (because Phoenix Wright!), finally got my hands on Etrian Odyssey IV, and then got a hilarious Atlus game called Conception II that actually turned out to be really fun.

So uh... as you can tell, in addition to being a PC gamer I like JRPGs, J-SRPGs and J-ARPGs. Anyone else here a giant nerd?

An Atlus game? How did I miss this? I'll have to check it out later. It sounds vaguely familiar. Anyway, if I do get it, I'll have to choose between that and trying to master the mechanics for the new Guilty Gear (I'm still trying not to keep accidentally jumping. Damn thumbstick). That's the thing with JRPGs for me. I often enjoy them, but I know they'll be a massive time sink. Still, based on the wiki I just read, Conception 2 sounds too good to pass up.....

.... Crap. It looks like I'll need a handheld of some sort. I've been eyeing the Vita for a while. Maybe this will be my excuse to finally go get it.
    Last edited by sageoftruth on Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
  • Phoenix
    Lieutenant

by Phoenix » Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:54 am

Conception is RIDICULOUS. It is literally a dungeon crawler where most of your team is the product of the game's fan service. Atlus, I love you so much.

Survivor:
    Out for 2023
  • sageoftruth
    Lieutenant

by sageoftruth » Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:58 am

Phoenix wrote:Conception is RIDICULOUS. It is literally a dungeon crawler where most of your team is the product of the game's fan service. Atlus, I love you so much.

Product of the game's fan service? Explain.
  • Phoenix
    Lieutenant

by Phoenix » Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:18 am

sageoftruth wrote:
    Phoenix wrote:Conception is RIDICULOUS. It is literally a dungeon crawler where most of your team is the product of the game's fan service. Atlus, I love you so much.

You are "God's Gift." You were born with an insane amount of energy. As a result, you're perfect to make Star Children, which is what you use to fight through dungeons. There are 5 or 7 S rank soldier ladies in the game, and your goal AS GIVEN BY THE SCHOOL HEADMASTER is to date all of them at once so you can make as many Star Children as possible. Which you do in a chamber where you don't actually have sex, I think? They always just show you holding hands and that's i . But the girls are always really tired after.

It's stupid funny and oddly fun and I love it. Atlus and their ridiculous games. Never stop.

Survivor:
    Out for 2023
  • sageoftruth
    Lieutenant

by sageoftruth » Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:21 am

Phoenix wrote:
    sageoftruth wrote:

You are "God's Gift." You were born with an insane amount of energy. As a result, you're perfect to make Star Children, which is what you use to fight through dungeons. There are 5 or 7 S rank soldier ladies in the game, and your goal AS GIVEN BY THE SCHOOL HEADMASTER is to date all of them at once so you can make as many Star Children as possible. Which you do in a chamber where you don't actually have sex, I think? They always just show you holding hands and that's i . But the girls are always really tired after.

It's stupid funny and oddly fun and I love it. Atlus and their ridiculous games. Never stop.

Sounds hilarious. I'm getting myself a Vita. Too bad they aren't shown holding cigarettes after leaving the chamber.
  • Phoenix
    Lieutenant

by Phoenix » Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:45 am

Conception II was on the 3DS but might be on others. I need a Vita... To play Persona 4. And I think Persona 5?

Survivor:
    Out for 2023
    CountArioch
    Petty Officer

by CountArioch » Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:10 pm

Okay, a game where I am encouraged to breed with as many cute anime girls as possible? Sign me up for that shit...
  • Phoenix
    Lieutenant

by Phoenix » Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:25 pm

CountArioch wrote:Okay, a game where I am encouraged to breed with as many cute anime girls as possible? Sign me up for that shit...

RIGHT?! There's even a mechanic for threesomes. And I don't have the last girl yet so there might even be more. SO GOOD

Survivor:
    Out for 2023
Post Reply 1468 posts