Post Reply 704 posts
Unofficial 70K Bands IOS/Android Application
    slayergeek
    Midshipman

Re: Unofficial 70K Bands IOS/Android Application

by slayergeek » Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:47 am

cholernik wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:40 am I mean, when a band gets announced they have a low vote count, so yeah their Must is going to be high. That's why the raw numbers are good to look at. The total number of must votes is way more relevant than the total percentage of must votes.
    I have to disagree to some extent. Assuming the 132 are somewhat representative of the total, the percentage shouldn't change that much...but time will tell. I would not expect these guys to go from 71% Must down to %40 Must for example. Seeing them drop from 71% to 65% would seem possible though, but that would still keep them well within the top 10. Based on total numbers they would be at the bottom, but they were just announced last night...so that hardly seems like the way to go either.

I think percentages, while acknowledging the raw number underlying them, seem like the best way to present and sort.
    Survivor
    • 2014,2015,2016,2017,2018,2019,2020,2023,2024,See_you_in_2025

Absolute_Darkness-Death/Thrash_Band_I_am_the_Singer/Guitarist_for
    • FacebookPage-https://www.facebook.com/BandAbsoluteDarkness

Thud_Bukit-Death/Comedy_Band_I_am_the_Singer/Guitarist/Drummer/Bassist_for
    • FacebookPage-https://www.facebook.com/Thud-Bukit-100960638505481

70k Bands - Unofficial iPhone/Android_app_of_the_70,000_tons_cruise
    WishList
    • Old_Man's_Child-/-Battle_Cross-/-Impaled-/-Dismember-/-Amon_Amarth-/-Dethklok-/-Gruesome-/-Rotten_Sound-/-As_Blood_Runs_Black-/-Through_The_Eyes_Of_The_Dead-/-Testament-/
    cholernik
    Petty Officer

by cholernik » Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:23 am

slayergeek wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:47 am
    cholernik wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:40 am I mean, when a band gets announced they have a low vote count, so yeah their Must is going to be high. That's why the raw numbers are good to look at. The total number of must votes is way more relevant than the total percentage of must votes.
    I have to disagree to some extent. Assuming the 132 are somewhat representative of the total, the percentage shouldn't change that much...but time will tell. I would not expect these guys to go from 71% Must down to %40 Must for example. Seeing them drop from 71% to 65% would seem possible though, but that would still keep them well within the top 10. Based on total numbers they would be at the bottom, but they were just announced last night...so that hardly seems like the way to go either.

I think percentages, while acknowledging the raw number underlying them, seem like the best way to present and sort.
    What this says is the percentage of total of must votes cast for that particular band is %71. It's kind of hard to compare that to other bands when they have like 400-500 more votes. I'm an American, so I know you can't make people vote that's for sure. But think of it like this: You have a facebook event for a show just announced, 7 of 10 (7%) people replied say they're coming. That's pretty good but a small sample size, and things can change. Versus a show that was announced a month prior and 76 of 100 (76%) people say they're going.
    It would be ideal to have 100% of the users be required to mark each band, especially if they've marked one already. But you can't force that, not easily anyhow.

It's also like "4 of 5 dentists agree that chewing Trident gets you laid" or whatever. Yeah, sure 80% is pretty good, but how many people did they ask?

Another thing, my wife uses the app but for some reason only marks the bands she must see as Must. she doesn't mark the others as might or won't, because she doesn't know.

Percentages are fine and I'm not looking to change anyone's mind. And as you said, yeah percentages might be the best way to sort, I'm just saying there's a lot of data that can be interpreted in different ways. That's why listing the numbers is cool.

All this is moot when I'm at work however, seeing as how the attachments are blocked on my computer :D
    2020: Survivor
    slayergeek
    Midshipman

by slayergeek » Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:05 am

Weekly Stats Post!

Ok, so the stats have changed slightly. When we were in the announcement drought, I made the calls to stop counting users who had not logged into the app in the last 90 days. Given that we are now getting daily+ announcements every weekday this now seems excessive, so I have shortened the inactivity timeout to 30 days. Due to this you will small dips in the total numbers.

Don't forget to checkout the video walkthrough of the app. There are features you likely havn't even used yet!

https://youtu.be/e4QW_vPA6nw

Here are this week stats. (as of 9:00am PST)

Survivor

WishList
    • Old_Man's_Child-/-Battle_Cross-/-Impaled-/-Dismember-/-Amon_Amarth-/-Dethklok-/-Gruesome-/-Rotten_Sound-/-As_Blood_Runs_Black-/-Through_The_Eyes_Of_The_Dead-/-Testament-/
    slayergeek
    Midshipman

by slayergeek » Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:27 am

If anyone wants to help test the app, I am going to be conducting a 'simulated' week of the cruise in some testing files. This is to spot any issues in the current production code well before we set sail.

If you want to help by participating in this test, do the following.

For Android go to Preferences inside the app and change 'Pointer URL' down at the bottom to 'Testing'

For iOS go to the system settings, search for 70K Bands and change the Pointer URL to Testing (be sure iOS does not add a space at the end of the word)

You should be looking at last years bands and schedule, but set to happen this week. (Pre parties say January instead of November, but will go off in November. This was done for space concerns on Android)

Testing should focus on onboard alerts. Be sure everything works as expected in offline mode and if possible, poor network perforce (like shitty ships wifi), and just ensure as much as you can that the week of the cruise works without issue.

Let me know if you find any issues via Facebook Messenger.

You will still get alerts for new bands, though obviously wont see them in the app in this mode.

To revert back to production, change the Pointer URL back to 'Prod'

Thanks and see you guys on board
    Survivor

WishList
    cholernik
    Petty Officer

by cholernik » Sat Nov 23, 2019 1:55 pm

I might do this testing thing when I'm back at work on Monday
    slayergeek
    Midshipman

by slayergeek » Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:19 am

Here are the weekly stats for 70K Bands

With a full on announcement drought ongoing, things have not changed much and usage numbers are down slightly. Imagine, nothing new to look at and people stop launching the app, who would have thought :) I have a hunch we are going to get some activity this coming week though...you can do it Andy!

Don't forget to checkout the video walkthrough of the app. There are features you likely havn't even used yet!

Here are this weeks stats. (as of 9:00am PST)

Survivor

WishList
    slayergeek
    Midshipman

by slayergeek » Sun Dec 15, 2019 11:20 am

Ok, we are 23 days until sail and 24 bands left to announce.

Sorry Andy, I can no longer distract the masses with cool stats. You are just going to HAVE to restart announcements.

I skipped last weeks stats, because let's face it...not much has changed. That being said, I don't want to skip 2 weeks in a row, so here we go!

If you are going to be on board and havn't download the iOS or Android version of the 70K Bands app, you should do so now! These stats are just a cool side effect. The main purpose of your Must, Might and Wont votes is to use them within the app to customize your notification alerts and the display so you know when events are happening on board concerning bands that you care about.

This app is free, ad free, and is open source. Developed by the community for the community!

Survivor

WishList
    slayergeek
    Midshipman

by slayergeek » Tue Dec 24, 2019 9:09 am

Yesterday's announcements were a great start! Here is how the new additions landed among the cruisers

The clear winner is Havok currently sitting at #8 overall. The only new addition to crack the top 10!
    Must - 92 - 53%
    Might - 57 - 33%
    Wont - 26 - 15%
    Total - 175

Novembers Doom is next coming in at #15
    Must - 91 - 47%
    Might - 68 - 35%
    Wont - 34 - 18%
    Total - 193

Next comes Incantation at #28
    Must - 91 - 37%
    Might - 79 - 32%
    Wont - 77 - 31%
    Total - 247

And at #36 Edenbridge
    Must - 64 - 24%
    Might - 76 - 28%
    Wont - 130 - 48%
    Total - 270

Some of these bands have been announced for less then 24 hours, so these numbers will likely move somewhat over time. Be sure and mark your bands within the app. It helps the app notify you on board when events are happening that you care about, and also lets you filter your list of bands to only the ones you care about. See you guys on board!

Be sure and download the iOS or Android version of the 70K Bands app if you have not done so already!

Here is the full list of bands and where they sit as on 7am (PST) on 12/24

Survivor

WishList
    slayergeek
    Midshipman

by slayergeek » Wed Dec 25, 2019 7:44 am

So for Christmas Eve Andy continued to deliver bands! Here is how yesterdays additions fared.

The Christmas Eve winner was Ghost Ship Octavius currently sitting at #24 overall.
    Must - 58 - 41%
    Might - 47 - 32%
    Wont - 39 - 27%
    Total - 143

Next comes The Faceless at #32, personally I want to see these guys and hopefully they can keep it together and perform both sets :)
    Must - 64 - 35%
    Might - 63 - 34%
    Wont - 56 - 31%
    Total - 183

And at #38 is Whiplash
    Must - 57 - 25%
    Might - 89 - 38%
    Wont - 87 - 37%
    Total - 233

These bands have been announced for less then 24 hours, so these numbers will likely move somewhat over time. Havok went from 53% Must sitting at #8 to %50 Must and now at number 11, so thing do change. Be sure and mark your bands within the app!

Lets see if we get Christmas announcements (probably not, but who knows)

Be sure and download the iOS or Android version of the 70K Bands app if you have not done so already!

Merry Christmas Everyone! See you on board!

Here is the full list of bands and where they sit as on 6am (PST) on 12/25

Survivor

WishList
    Pellaz
    Lieutenant

by Pellaz » Thu Dec 26, 2019 4:14 pm

Hey Ron,
    What determines when the Android app "resets" the alerts?
    Mine is still showing "9 new alerts" per the icon on my phone's home screen, but I've opened the app and seen all the new activity (and rated bands), so I'd think it should have reset to 0.
    Just wondering... It's no big deal, I can always just watch for the number to increment for a new band. :mrgreen:
    2025 Wishlist:
    1349--Abbath--Abigail.Williams--Aephanemer--Agalloch--Agathodaimon--Alien.Weaponry--Allegaeon--Amon.Amarth--Amorphis--Animals.As.Leaders--Arkona--Arsis--Atrocity--Ayreon--Bal.Sagoth--Baroness--Barren.Earth--Battlelore--Behemoth--Below.7--Belzebubs--Be'lakor--Black.Crown.Initiate--Bloodbath--Borknagar--Broken.Trinity--Cannibal.Corpse--Chthe'ilist--CoF--Countless.Skies--Cynic--Demons.&.Wizards--Dimmu.Borgir--Dark.Tranquillity--Dragonforce--Edge.of.Sanity--Witherscape--anything.Dan.Swano--Eluveitie--Eneferens--Ensiferum--Enslaved--Eternal.Tears.of.Sorrow--Evergrey--Exmortus--Ex.Deo--Fear.Factory--Fires.In.the.Distance--Gojira--Graveworm--Green.Carnation--Hypocrisy--Immortal--Insomnium--Irreversible.Mechanism--Kalmah--Kamelot--Keep.Of.Kalessin--Korpiklaani--Kreator--Leprous--Luciferan.Light.Orchestra--Loss--Melechesh--Meshuggah--Mezarkabul--Moonspell--Mors.Principium.Est--Myrath--Ne.Obliviscaris--Nile--Nokturnal.Mortem--NorthTale--Novembers.Doom--Obscura--Old.Mans.Child--Opeth--Paladin--Poisonblack--Powerwolf--Primordial--Rapheumet's.Well--Raven--Rivers.Of.Nihil--Ryujin--Sabaton--Sadistic.Ritual--Samael--Satyricon--Savatage--Scale.the.Summit--Scorched.Moon--Septic.Flesh--Serious.Black--Seven.Spires--Sigh--Skalmold--Slough.Feg--Starkill--Steorrah--SYL--Suidakra--Summoning--Tarot--Therion--Thy.Serpent--Tomarum--Tomb.Mold--Turisas--Twilight.Force--Tyr--Vale.Of.Pnath--Valhalore--Vesania--Vintersorg--Wolfchant--Yyrkoon
    2015-2020; 2023-2024: Survivor
    2025: most likely
    slayergeek
    Midshipman

by slayergeek » Thu Dec 26, 2019 4:38 pm

Pellaz wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 4:14 pm Hey Ron,
    What determines when the Android app "resets" the alerts?
    Mine is still showing "9 new alerts" per the icon on my phone's home screen, but I've opened the app and seen all the new activity (and rated bands), so I'd think it should have reset to 0.
    Just wondering... It's no big deal, I can always just watch for the number to increment for a new band. :mrgreen:
    I just clear the alerts in the Android notification handler on the OS level. If there is a call I am supposed to make to clear out my app alerts I am not making it. I'll research if there is a call I need to be making to do this.
    Survivor

WishList
    slayergeek
    Midshipman

by slayergeek » Sun Dec 29, 2019 8:47 am

Here are the weekly 70K Bands App Stats, the unofficial iOS/Android app for the 70,000 Tons Of Metal Cruise!

We are 9 days away from sail and we are moving closer to a full lineup, but still have 15 more to go. Let's see some of these hidden gems here Andy!

If you are going to be on board and havn't download the iOS or Android version of the 70K Bands app, you should do so now! These stats are just a cool side effect. The main purpose of your Must, Might and Wont votes is to use them within the app to customize your notification alerts and the display so you know when events are happening on board concerning bands that you care about.

This app is free, ad free, and is open source. Developed by the community for the community!

Survivor

WishList
    slayergeek
    Midshipman

by slayergeek » Thu Jan 02, 2020 4:52 pm

Time is running short and so is the list of bands waiting to be announced. Be sure and download the 70K Bands app today, as it will really help you decide which of the 125+ shows and event you will attend once on board 70,000 Tons!

The clear winner, breaking into the top 10, is Possessed at #9
    Must - 225 - 54%
    Might - 100 - 24%
    Wont - 91 - 22%
    Total - 416

Next is Brujeria at #33
    Must - 180 - 36%
    Might - 162 - 33%
    Wont - 153 - 31%
    Total - 495

Once Human coming in at #40
    Must - 133 - 33%
    Might - 177 - 44%
    Wont - 95 - 24%
    Total - 405

Followed by Striker at #42
    Must - 96 - 32%
    Might - 110 - 36%
    Wont - 97 - 32%
    Total - 303

Without Waves being a cripper band is at #54
    Must - 34 - 17%
    Might - 82 - 41%
    Wont - 82 - 41%
    Total - 198

There stats are as of 3:00 PST on 1/2/2019 and are from 70K Bands, the unofficial iOS and Android app of the 70,000 Tons Metal cruise. The app is free, add free, and open source. It was written by the community for the community! The complete schedule of all events will be added into the app shortly after UMC publicly releases the data!

Here is the full list of stats for each band.

Survivor

WishList
    slayergeek
    Midshipman

by slayergeek » Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:50 pm

Ok, we all have ALL the bands announced and were just waiting for the schedule now!

We have 1,678 users who have launched the app in the last 30 days.
    56% Android, 43% iOS from 46 countries

Wilderun, at least in the early stage, is sitting at #8 so an awesome last min announcement for a lot of folks.

Here are the full stats

Survivor

WishList
    ShoreSlayer
    Captain

by ShoreSlayer » Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:56 pm

Very much love and appreciate your app sir! Really makes it fun and easy to track announcements and gauge final lineup assessment.

Not so great this year but blame the captain, not the app I say

Final tally:

10 Must
    19 Might
    32 Won't

Thankfully I passed on this year and will hopefully be lured in and able to return in 2021
    So far at least, 2011, 2012 & 2015 were enough for me
    :shred:Book 'em ANDO!! :headbanger:

:boobs: 2018/2019 Hockeyagi Champion :boobs:
    Pellaz
    Lieutenant

by Pellaz » Sun Jan 05, 2020 2:49 pm

slayergeek wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:50 pm Ok, we all have ALL the bands announced and were just waiting for the schedule now!
    O RLY?

:lol: :lol: :lol:
    2025 Wishlist:
    1349--Abbath--Abigail.Williams--Aephanemer--Agalloch--Agathodaimon--Alien.Weaponry--Allegaeon--Amon.Amarth--Amorphis--Animals.As.Leaders--Arkona--Arsis--Atrocity--Ayreon--Bal.Sagoth--Baroness--Barren.Earth--Battlelore--Behemoth--Below.7--Belzebubs--Be'lakor--Black.Crown.Initiate--Bloodbath--Borknagar--Broken.Trinity--Cannibal.Corpse--Chthe'ilist--CoF--Countless.Skies--Cynic--Demons.&.Wizards--Dimmu.Borgir--Dark.Tranquillity--Dragonforce--Edge.of.Sanity--Witherscape--anything.Dan.Swano--Eluveitie--Eneferens--Ensiferum--Enslaved--Eternal.Tears.of.Sorrow--Evergrey--Exmortus--Ex.Deo--Fear.Factory--Fires.In.the.Distance--Gojira--Graveworm--Green.Carnation--Hypocrisy--Immortal--Insomnium--Irreversible.Mechanism--Kalmah--Kamelot--Keep.Of.Kalessin--Korpiklaani--Kreator--Leprous--Luciferan.Light.Orchestra--Loss--Melechesh--Meshuggah--Mezarkabul--Moonspell--Mors.Principium.Est--Myrath--Ne.Obliviscaris--Nile--Nokturnal.Mortem--NorthTale--Novembers.Doom--Obscura--Old.Mans.Child--Opeth--Paladin--Poisonblack--Powerwolf--Primordial--Rapheumet's.Well--Raven--Rivers.Of.Nihil--Ryujin--Sabaton--Sadistic.Ritual--Samael--Satyricon--Savatage--Scale.the.Summit--Scorched.Moon--Septic.Flesh--Serious.Black--Seven.Spires--Sigh--Skalmold--Slough.Feg--Starkill--Steorrah--SYL--Suidakra--Summoning--Tarot--Therion--Thy.Serpent--Tomarum--Tomb.Mold--Turisas--Twilight.Force--Tyr--Vale.Of.Pnath--Valhalore--Vesania--Vintersorg--Wolfchant--Yyrkoon
    2015-2020; 2023-2024: Survivor
    2025: most likely
    slayergeek
    Midshipman

by slayergeek » Sun Jan 05, 2020 2:58 pm

Pellaz wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 2:49 pm
    slayergeek wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:50 pm Ok, we all have ALL the bands announced and were just waiting for the schedule now!
    O RLY?

:lol: :lol: :lol:
    I did the best I could with the information I had at the time :-)
    Survivor

WishList
    slayergeek
    Midshipman

by slayergeek » Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:37 pm

Ok, this will be last post before schedule information is available. With Soilwork announced here are the new stats.

1,817 unique users have launched the app in the last 30 days from 46 countries

Soilwork with 296 votes is currently at #4 from a percentage of Must votes perspective.

Here are the full stats

Survivor

WishList
    slayergeek
    Midshipman

by slayergeek » Sat Jan 11, 2020 4:02 pm

Ok, my first post cruise report for the 2020 cruise!

It was a great year for myself and the app. I want to send a big thank you to everyone who I talked with, and everyone who used the app. I will make a second post about proposed changes for next year! (Such as better performance under bad network conditions)

A VERY special thank you to Robert Jan De Vries for the new graphics this year, and to Aaron Copeland for yet again knocking the comments out of the park!

So for the first time ever we have semi decent data on show attendance, though it could be much, much better.

If you want to participate, go into the preferences and uncheck the box for 'Hide Expired Events', this will re-show you the events from the cruise.

Then swipe and select the eye icon to indicate you saw a particular show. The Must/Might/Wont applies to a band, the 'Saw A Show' applies to that individual event. You can also just click on the show text in the details screen to do the same thing.

So we had 2069 users who launched the app in the last 30 days. Of those, only 119 appear to be actively using the 'Saw Event' feature. This is the number of users who marked at least 10 events as attended. One goal for next year is to make this VERY powerful feature more prominent and obvious.

So we only have 119, lets make the dangerous assumption that these 119 represent the cruise overall. Again this number will hopefully go up based on this post and we can make the data more solid. For comparison we had over 1,200 users mark bands as Must,Might,Wont. If the numbers look off, the small sample size would be the most obvious reason.

So here we go. I will list off the top 10 and then post a graphic with all the details, including estimates crowd size based on 3,028 official sailors

1 Devin Townsend Theater 1,780
    2 Emperor Theater 1,578
    3 Wintersun Pool 1,426
    4 Exodus Pool 1,347
    5 Exodus Theater 1,347
    6 Moonsorrow Theater 1,299
    7 At The Gates Rink 1,272
    8 Omnium Gatherum Pool 1,272
    9 Devin Townsend Pool 1,248
    10 Wintersun Theater 1,248

Survivor

WishList
    slayergeek
    Midshipman

by slayergeek » Sun Jan 12, 2020 5:26 pm

Thanks to everyone who used the 70K Bands app this year. It was a lot of fun to do and was very rewarding to see it help so many people out.

The team working on the app right now is:

Ron Dorn - Main architect and coder
    Aaron Coopland - Band Descriptions
    Robert Jan de Vries - Icons, Graphics, and Layout Design

The overall usage stats for the app this year
    2,073 users launched the app in the 30 days leading up to the cruise
    57% Android
    43% iOS

Users from 47 different countries were represented.

On the day the schedule was release on Jan 6th we had 1,143 unique users launch the app on that day alone.

For next year, here are the things I am planning to work on. More features then this 'may' be added, but I the very least I would like to address these issues
    * Fix slow network issues as much as possible. This was a huge one. The app worked fine on a decent network, and worked well offline, but people (including me) where having issues with the on board internet and the app

* Add end times to the main screen. Probably right below the start time

* Make the 'Will Attended; feature more prominent. This is one of the most powerful feature of the app, and it was very under utilized this year because people did not even know about it.

* Make improvements to the 'Sharing' feature. This is another under utilized feature that I would like to make better.

* Make the schedule text in the details screen bigger. This can only really be done in landscape mode (due to space concerns)

* Allow for partially attended events for all event types, this should have been allowed from the beginning.

Here are some other things I am mulling over, but not ready to even remotely commit to:

A frequently requested feature is more then 3 levels to the ratings. I am not sure about that, but might conduct a poll to determine how 'In Demand' that feature is.

Curent there are multiple levels of rating already
    For Bands
    Unrated (default)
    Must
    Might
    Wont

For Events
    Did Not Attend (default)
    Attended
    Partially Attended

Another feature requested that I am unsure about is some sort of 5 star rating for individual shows or overall band performance on the cruise. I would have to provide some way to export or share the data or it would be lost within 2 years and you would have to go to 'See last Years Data' 3 or 4 months after the cruise when I clear out the old data. At any rate, let me think on that one.
    So if there is anything else you think would be great for next year, let me know in the comments. Please do not suggest anything that would require an active network connection to work, or collect individual email addresses to work (are my buddies at this show type of deal).

See you guys next year!
    Survivor

WishList
    cholernik
    Petty Officer

by cholernik » Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:04 am

as I said on FB, it's a great app, and if somebody didn't know of the features, they didn't watch the video, so that's not your fault. I wouldn't really change much, maybe the event end time on the main screen, but seriously, it's one click to see the end time.
    slayergeek
    Midshipman

by slayergeek » Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:11 am

cholernik wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:04 am as I said on FB, it's a great app, and if somebody didn't know of the features, they didn't watch the video, so that's not your fault. I wouldn't really change much, maybe the event end time on the main screen, but seriously, it's one click to see the end time.
    Yea, for the 2 click solution I will have a preference available to disable that and make it operate more like last year for power users :)
    Survivor

WishList
    slayergeek
    Midshipman

by slayergeek » Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:13 am

Ok guys, I am going to close out the 2020 cruise with 1 last stats post this Sunday.

So if you saw a band that was a 'Might' before the cruise and you really thought they kicked ass, make them a 'Must' for next time. The app will remember your choice for that band and when they are announced for 2022, that will pop up with what you rated them for this year!

Also be sure and mark the shows you attended. Just go into the details screen and click on the text at the bottom with the show time and place. Once you do this, you can go the sharing icon and have a report of number of shows attended and other stats you can post. Also it will give me some cool data to share with the community.

After Sundays share I will likely focus on new features and post less stats data, if any, until I have 2021 data to report. This years data will just get less and less interesting as people stop using the app.

See you guys on board in 2021!
    Survivor

WishList
    slayergeek
    Midshipman

by slayergeek » Sat Jan 18, 2020 1:21 pm

Ok, the first update for the 2021 cruise has been released!

Fixes in this release

Added 'End Time' to the schedule layout

On iOS made show font size larger when in landscape mode in the details screen (This was already present for Android)

Fixed issues with after cruise report (go the sharing icon, copy the results to clipboard and post on Facebook!)

More changes will be coming, including and especially app stability when faced with bad network performance.

Don't forget to update your app choices before tomorrow when I will post my final 2020 stats report!

See you guys on board!
    Survivor

WishList
  • Soundchaser
    Petty Officer

by Soundchaser » Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:23 am

Thank you Ron, for developing and sharing this app.

I wasn't on the ship the last to years but this year the app was very handy to use for me.

Some suggestions for additional improvements:
    - add the link to the tutorial video directly to the app and/or in the app stores.
    I haven't knew the video before the cruise, so I learned about the "event seen" and "edit the notes" just afterwards when checking this forum again.
    Maybe just a line in the settings section: "learn about all the features: ...URL"

- what would be very convenient is a "next/previous band/event" button in the detail view (just left and right of the band's name).
    Similar like one knows it from pictures galleries on the WWW. (or by wiping left/right on the band-name).
    With that, no need to always go back to the "list-view" and select the next band/event for detail view.
    If the list is sorted alphabetically, then the function would be "next/previous band", if it is the event schedule, then "next/previous event" should apply.

Maybe see you next year :cheers:
    70kt Survivor: 2013 / 2014 / 2015 / 2016 / 2017 / 2020 / 2024
    slayergeek
    Midshipman

by slayergeek » Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:03 am

Soundchaser wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:23 am Thank you Ron, for developing and sharing this app.

I wasn't on the ship the last to years but this year the app was very handy to use for me.

Some suggestions for additional improvements:
    - add the link to the tutorial video directly to the app and/or in the app stores.
    I haven't knew the video before the cruise, so I learned about the "event seen" and "edit the notes" just afterwards when checking this forum again.
    Maybe just a line in the settings section: "learn about all the features: ...URL"

- what would be very convenient is a "next/previous band/event" button in the detail view (just left and right of the band's name).
    Similar like one knows it from pictures galleries on the WWW. (or by wiping left/right on the band-name).
    With that, no need to always go back to the "list-view" and select the next band/event for detail view.
    If the list is sorted alphabetically, then the function would be "next/previous band", if it is the event schedule, then "next/previous event" should apply.

Maybe see you next year :cheers:
    Those are great suggestions. I can not promise that they will make it into next years release just yet, but I will see what I can do.

Thanks
    Survivor

WishList
    slayergeek
    Midshipman

by slayergeek » Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:06 am

Ok this will be the LAST post for the 2020 data! Some interesting data here, especially the estimated number of cruisers at individual events. This is the first year we have enough data to estimate crowd sized based on real world data.

Number of users who have launched the app in the last 30 days: 2069
    56.5% Android
    43.5% iOS

1,143 users download the schedule data the day before sail!

Top 10 Bands by Must See Percentage.

Wintersun - 72%
    Devin Townsend - 71%
    Emperor - 70%
    At The Gates - 66%
    Soilwork - 63%
    Exodus - 63%
    Omnium Gatherum - 62%
    Finntroll - 61%
    Moonsorrow - 57%
    Possessed - 54%

Top 10 Attended Events. This is based on estimated crowd size. The estimated crowd size is based on the percentage of the 176 users who provided 'Did Attend' data from 10 or more events.

Devin Townsend Theater - 1,874
    Emperor Theater - 1,617
    Wintersun Pool - 1,532
    Exodus Pool - 1,444
    Exodus Theater - 1,429
    At The Gates Rink - 1,360
    Devin Townsend Pool - 1,341
    Wintersun Theater - 1,341
    Finntroll Pool - 1,308
    Moonsorrow Theater - 1,308

Top 10 Countries based on Percentage of Total Users

United States - 47.80%
    Germany - 12.70%
    Canada - 11.50%
    Switzerland - 3.20%
    United Kingdom - 2.90%
    Australia - 2.20%
    Finland - 2.10%
    Belgium - 1.90%
    Mexico - 1.90%
    Netherlands - 1.60%

Full data is available in the pictures below!

See you guys on board next year!

Survivor

WishList
  • metalforever
    Chief Petty Officer

by metalforever » Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:16 am

slayergeek wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 4:52 pm Time is running short and so is the list of bands waiting to be announced. Be sure and download the 70K Bands app today, as it will really help you decide which of the 125+ shows and event you will attend once on board 70,000 Tons!

The clear winner, breaking into the top 10, is Possessed at #9
    Must - 225 - 54%
    Might - 100 - 24%
    Wont - 91 - 22%
    Total - 416

Next is Brujeria at #33
    Must - 180 - 36%
    Might - 162 - 33%
    Wont - 153 - 31%
    Total - 495

Once Human coming in at #40
    Must - 133 - 33%
    Might - 177 - 44%
    Wont - 95 - 24%
    Total - 405

Followed by Striker at #42
    Must - 96 - 32%
    Might - 110 - 36%
    Wont - 97 - 32%
    Total - 303

Without Waves being a cripper band is at #54
    Must - 34 - 17%
    Might - 82 - 41%
    Wont - 82 - 41%
    Total - 198

There stats are as of 3:00 PST on 1/2/2019 and are from 70K Bands, the unofficial iOS and Android app of the 70,000 Tons Metal cruise. The app is free, add free, and open source. It was written by the community for the community! The complete schedule of all events will be added into the app shortly after UMC publicly releases the data!

Here is the full list of stats for each band.

Hi, just touching base, where was the did attend option after seeing a show , did not notice that feature at all ?
    slayergeek
    Midshipman

by slayergeek » Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:23 am

metalforever wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:16 am Hi, just touching base, where was the did attend option after seeing a show , did not notice that feature at all ?
    Here is a video walkthrough of all the features. The 'Mark Attended' feature is towards the end. One of the goals of next year is to make this feature more obvious.

Survivor

WishList
  • metalforever
    Chief Petty Officer

by metalforever » Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:34 am

slayergeek wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:23 am
    metalforever wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:16 am Hi, just touching base, where was the did attend option after seeing a show , did not notice that feature at all ?
    Here is a video walkthrough of all the features. The 'Mark Attended' feature is towards the end. One of the goals of next year is to make this feature more obvious.

thanks the video was helpful , I have a better understanding now .
    slayergeek
    Midshipman

by slayergeek » Sat May 09, 2020 12:21 pm

Ok, even though 70,000 Tons 2021 is in obvious doubt, work on the app continues. (Because why not)

In today’s release (available for both iOS and Android) the following features are now available.

In the schedule view, when you click on an event, you are now given the option to mark your attended status. This can be easily disabled if desired.
    In the detail’s screen, you can now swipe between records, so there is now an alternate way to navigate the main list one entry at a time.

I am currently working with @Robert Jan de Vries on further changes that will probably includes a major rework of the details screen.

Hopefully this will be used for 2021 and if not then we will be extra ready for 2022

Keep the faith everyone and stay safe!
    Survivor

WishList
    slayergeek
    Midshipman

by slayergeek » Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:12 am

While we are all waiting on Andy to either cancel things and reschedule or provide details on what is going on, work on 70K Bands app continues.

We are planning to be extra ready for 2022, or whenever 70K finally happens again.

New Features for this build!
    -------

Much improved version of the details screen, mainly surrounding the schedule view

Made the Android "Attended" prompt on the main screen much better looking

Fixed misc bugs
    -------

Changes since we got back from 70k 2020
    -------
    When the schedule is shown in the main screen, you now get prompted on selection to indicate your show attendance for that event (can easily be turned off)

Can now swipe to the next or previous band from within the details screen

Added the end time to the main screen when in the schedule view

Fixed misc bugs
    -------

Many thanks to Robert Jan de Vries for helping design the new screens!

In 2021 or more likely 2022 when bands start getting announced again, I am looking forward to working with Aaron Copeland on the band descriptions!

Survivor

WishList
    slayergeek
    Midshipman

by slayergeek » Fri Oct 28, 2022 1:55 pm

Just dusted off the 70K Bands and made the Nightwish announcement.

That being said, there is a 'slight' issue and hopefully this will be fixed with the next announcement.

Since 70K Bands is an unofficial app, I do get not 'official' information from Andy's team, other then the same info you guys get. I automate the announcement of new bands by 'screen scraping' the Artists page off of the main web site.

https://70000tons.com/artists/

This 'can' work pretty well when the data is VERY consistent. This first announcement did NOT have the band name in a title tag used by disabled users to know what the picture (band logo) is. I use this to get the name of the band, as reading the band logo is NOT possible by the computer under any reasonable programatic scenario.

I am going to keep on eye on things and post things manually if needed, but the hope is that for the next announcements they go back to the previous years format that not only help my code, but will also benefit visually disabled users, and those who have turned graphics off for whatever reason (not very common today, but this used to be very common)

Anyway, I am committed to not only going on this years cruise, but maintaining 70K Bands code and announcement infrastructure!

See you guys on board!
    Survivor

WishList
  • yardleybates
    Oiler

by yardleybates » Sat Oct 29, 2022 9:24 am

I'm getting tons of repeat notifications on the Insomnium announcement.
    2020 Wishlist Amorphis / Demons & Wizards / Gojira / Nightmare
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Sat Oct 29, 2022 9:50 am

yardleybates wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 9:24 am I'm getting tons of repeat notifications on the Insomnium announcement.
    Same here. Android app.
    I should get around to updating my signature
    slayergeek
    Midshipman

by slayergeek » Sat Oct 29, 2022 12:47 pm

Sorry for the Insomnium spam everyone.

This was my fault related to me manually having to make the last 2 announcements and leaving something in a bad state.

Hopefully 70k will fix things so that my automated announcements work, but if not I will be more diligent in not leaving things in this bad state again when I manually need to intervene.

Bottom line, the issue was not with is installed on your phone, but with my backend system for sending out notifications. I will see it does not happen again

Cheers
    Survivor

WishList
    slayergeek
    Midshipman

by slayergeek » Sat Oct 29, 2022 12:55 pm

slayergeek wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 12:47 pm Sorry for the Insomnium spam everyone.

This was my fault related to me manually having to make the last 2 announcements and leaving something in a bad state.

Hopefully 70k will fix things so that my automated announcements work, but if not I will be more diligent in not leaving things in this bad state again when I manually need to intervene.

Bottom line, the issue was not with is installed on your phone, but with my backend system for sending out notifications. I will see it does not happen again

Cheers
    I do think 70K has fixed the issue regarding my automated announcements (a missing html tag), so here to us all finding out about the next one via the automated system together.
    Survivor

WishList
    slayergeek
    Midshipman

by slayergeek » Mon Oct 31, 2022 2:08 pm

With things now in full swing for the lead-up to 70K cruise, let me introduce you to the team that is bringing you the 70K Bands App

Ron Dorn - Developer, and leader of the team
    Robert Jan de Vries - User Interface and Graphic Arts
    Aaron Copeland - In charge of the great descriptions provided within the app

If you are asking yourself, 'How can I help'

If you are bi-lingual, please check how the app appears translated in languages other than English. Especially the text heavy 'Preferences' screen. I rely too much on Google translate..if you see something that would be better rephrased, let me know

If you are an Android Developer (Java SDK only), or iOS Developer (Swift only) we can discuss way that you might be able to help out

If you spot issue or have idea's for the app, reach out to us. Keep in mind that we limited by a few thing

1) Keep the back end system, free. Right now our main backend is dropbox, along with a few free google services. The app is free, and one thing that makes that easy to do this is that time is the main thing I am donating...not cash to keep the system up

2) KISS (Keep it simple stupid). My goal is to keep things simple and easy to understand with a high level of data available in a minimum amount of space. No scrolling for days, or confusion as to at what is going on. You may or may not agree that we have this today, but new ideas can sometimes make these elements worse...but sometimes they are worth it, or can be implemented in such a way as to make things simpler and easier to understand

3) One frequent request is to coordinate communication on the ship, or to track where your friends are on the ship. This is unlikely. We don't want to deal with logins, required onboard internet connection, and security and privacy issues, etc, etc. Also tech like using bluetooth or other non-wifi to bypass the lack of WiFi without a purchase from Royal is something that is way to complicated and unreliable to attempt within this tool.

See you guys on board and at the Miami pre-parties in 2023!
    Survivor

WishList
    slayergeek
    Midshipman

by slayergeek » Tue Nov 01, 2022 9:57 am

So lets start back in with weekly reports!

For those that don't know, a feature I introduced the last sailing year was to collect anonymous data. The app collects the following only (no emails or anything personal). Your data is only identified as unique through numbers like 01636d258813c865

Your band choices
    Your country
    Your language
    And when available your show choices

This knowledge is used only for community amusement and interest, and is not sold or otherwise distributed.

With that out of the way, here is what I have so far. There was a bug in iOS that will be fixed in the next day or so, so almost all of this is from Android users only, more data will be available once reporting is fully online

Rotting Christ
    54% of reporting users marked as Must See
    8% marked as Might
    38% marked as Wont

Manegarm
    55% of reporting users marked as Must See
    45% marked as Might
    0% marked as Wont

Insomnium
    59% of reporting users marked as Must See
    34% marked as Might
    6% marked as Wont

Nightwish
    76% of reporting users marked as Must See
    24% marked as Might
    0% marked as Wont

As more bands are announced I will mess with the formatting, and as more data comes in I will report on top countries and report other data
    Survivor

WishList
    slayergeek
    Midshipman

by slayergeek » Sun Nov 06, 2022 10:27 am

So in 2020 I did a detailed video walkthrough of the app.

Everything demo'ed in the app is still working pretty much the same today.
    The only significant change from 2020 is Robert Jan de Vries and I did a small redesign of the details screen and moved the events from the bottom of the screen to the top and made everything look more polished. The functionality is the same

Check it out and tell me how many features you did not know about before watching this video. Its only 6 min

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4QW_vPA6nw
    Survivor

WishList
Post Reply 704 posts