Post Reply 22 posts Page 1 of 1
Popular 'local' music from your part of the world
    cowboy71
    Commander

Popular 'local' music from your part of the world

by cowboy71 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:18 pm

Okay this idea could fail in epic fashion but here goes anyway.

As I was driving to work today listening to commercial radio in the car, this Killing Heidi song came on and as I was rocking out to it I figured that I would probably never hear this on radio anywhere else in the world.

So it got me thinking, what about where you are from? What music is there from your part of the world that you would hear if you were dialling through your radio, that I wouldn't hear here in Australia? (Doesn't have to be metal either).

I'm not talking about that obscure band that plays to 12 people at the local venue. I'm talking about stuff that is pretty huge where you are from, but relatively unknown anywhere else.

A couple of examples from me :)

KILLING HEIDI - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Killing_Heidi
    These kids grew up in my corner of the globe. In fact my brother's wedding reception was in their home town:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01aq2JWk3d0

DALLAS FRASCA - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dallas_Frasca
    A real local this one, but probably not a great example as I think she is starting to get known worldwide :) But a real personal connection this one - I drank beer and talked the night away with her Mum and Dad at my niece's wedding recently even :P

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44ZFxmnsRNs
    Upcoming Gigs:
    -/-Halestorm?-/-Fleshgod-Apocalypse-/-Scar-Symmetry-/-Wind-Rose-/-Unleash-The-Archers
    2025 Wishlist
    Ad-Infinitum-/-Aephanemer-/-All-For-Metal-/-Alterium-/-Ancient-Bards-/-Atlas-Pain-/-Avantasia-/-Battlelore-/Beast-In-Black-/-Believer-/-Beyond-The-Black-/-Brothers-of-Metal-/-Catalyst-Crime-/-Civil-War-/-Circus-Maximus-/-Claymorean-/-Cobra-Spell-/-Dark-Moor-/-Dark-Sarah-/-Dartagnan-/-Diabulus-In-Musica-/-Edguy-/-Ex-Libris-/-Exit-Eden-/-Fellowship-/-Follow-The-Cipher-/-Frozen-Crown-/-Galderia-/-Hammer-King-/-Heavatar-/-Ignea-/-Imperial-Age-/-In-This-Moment-/-Jaldaboath-/-Kaledon-/-Labyrinth-/-Living-Sacrifice-/-Metalite-/-Moonlight-Haze-/-Neopera-/-Nestor-/-Nocturna-/-Orden-Ogan-/-Pathfinder-/-Phantom-Elite-/-Poisonblack-/-Power-Paladin-/-Powerwolf-/-The-Privateer-/-Rexoria-/-Running-Wild-/-She-Wolf-/-Silver-Bullet-/-Sleeping-Romance-/-Sojourner-/-Tarot-/-Ten-/-Thaurorod-/-The-Big-Deal-/-The-Dark-Element-/-Trick-or-Treat-/-Trillium-/-Unisonic-/-Valhalore-/-Vanishing-Point-/-Volturian-/-Walk-In-Darkness-/-Within-Temptation
  • Phoenix
    Lieutenant

Re: Popular 'local' music from your part of the world

by Phoenix » Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:23 am

I can't be bothered with posting links, but sure, I'll talk about mine. As a Canadian, there's three bands I can think of, none of which are metal (no I'm not about to talk Nickelback, everyone hates them here too).

Every Canadian is like, required by law to know who The Tragically Hip are. If you live in Canada, you've heard at least three of their songs and will recognise them if they ever come up on the radio. We have this weird ambivalent love for them. So of course, it was a *very* big deal when Gord Downie announced that he had cancer and was doing one last whirlwind tour of the country. He passed away October 2017, and I think his tour wrapped up on August 20, 2016. So yeah, can't get any more Canadian than The Hip.

There's also Great Big Sea. A folk band from Newfoundland, known for their upbeat tunes and songs about drinking. Also no longer active, I think they partied too hard.

There's also Barenaked Ladies, but they're pretty well known internationally (thanks, Big Bang Theory).

Survivor:
    Out for 2023
    cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Wed Aug 22, 2018 3:32 pm

Tragically Hip - think I've heard the name before, but that's it.

Great Big Sea - never heard of.

Barenaked Ladies - yeah "One Week" was pretty huge here and of course the theme from Big Bang Theory. But those would be the only two songs of theirs I've ever heard :P
    Upcoming Gigs:
    -/-Halestorm?-/-Fleshgod-Apocalypse-/-Scar-Symmetry-/-Wind-Rose-/-Unleash-The-Archers
    2025 Wishlist
    Ad-Infinitum-/-Aephanemer-/-All-For-Metal-/-Alterium-/-Ancient-Bards-/-Atlas-Pain-/-Avantasia-/-Battlelore-/Beast-In-Black-/-Believer-/-Beyond-The-Black-/-Brothers-of-Metal-/-Catalyst-Crime-/-Civil-War-/-Circus-Maximus-/-Claymorean-/-Cobra-Spell-/-Dark-Moor-/-Dark-Sarah-/-Dartagnan-/-Diabulus-In-Musica-/-Edguy-/-Ex-Libris-/-Exit-Eden-/-Fellowship-/-Follow-The-Cipher-/-Frozen-Crown-/-Galderia-/-Hammer-King-/-Heavatar-/-Ignea-/-Imperial-Age-/-In-This-Moment-/-Jaldaboath-/-Kaledon-/-Labyrinth-/-Living-Sacrifice-/-Metalite-/-Moonlight-Haze-/-Neopera-/-Nestor-/-Nocturna-/-Orden-Ogan-/-Pathfinder-/-Phantom-Elite-/-Poisonblack-/-Power-Paladin-/-Powerwolf-/-The-Privateer-/-Rexoria-/-Running-Wild-/-She-Wolf-/-Silver-Bullet-/-Sleeping-Romance-/-Sojourner-/-Tarot-/-Ten-/-Thaurorod-/-The-Big-Deal-/-The-Dark-Element-/-Trick-or-Treat-/-Trillium-/-Unisonic-/-Valhalore-/-Vanishing-Point-/-Volturian-/-Walk-In-Darkness-/-Within-Temptation
  • Phoenix
    Lieutenant

by Phoenix » Wed Aug 22, 2018 3:50 pm

cowboy71 wrote:Tragically Hip - think I've heard the name before, but that's it.

Great Big Sea - never heard of.

Barenaked Ladies - yeah "One Week" was pretty huge here and of course the theme from Big Bang Theory. But those would be the only two songs of theirs I've ever heard :P

Well now you're making me share links :P

This is the song I think of when The Hip get brought up: https://youtu.be/QE2joQsWXJg

I legit love Great Big Sea, it's taking all my will not to share their entire discography but here's their most famous song: https://youtu.be/-wcjBU8zbdY Great Big Sea are so East Coast it's hilarious, seriously.

Barenaked Ladies, again, I grew up loving, but you can't tell me you've only heard those two songs. What about If I Had a Million Dollars? https://youtu.be/LHacDYj8KZM

Survivor:
    Out for 2023
    cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Wed Aug 22, 2018 4:20 pm

Nope definitely never heard that BNL song. Literally the only BNL song you would hear on commercial radio here in Australia is One Week.

It's basically the whole premise of this thread though :) Songs that are, like, part of your DNA.... when you stop and think you realise that someone on the other side of the world has probably never heard of it.

I can rattle off SO many names of artists that would apply to here in Australia - Australia is more than AC/DC, INXS, Ne Obliviscaris, Savage Garden, Little River Band and Kylie Minogue :P

Some examples of names from the last 30 years that I'd be guaranteed to hear on commercial radio here, but, not there (eg Canada):
    Paul Kelly
    Ian Moss
    Cold Chisel (Khe Sanh is like an unofficial Aussie Anthem https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNA4ELdkYCo)
    The Divinyls
    The Screaming Jets
    The Choirboys
    Gang Gajang
    Big Pig (although one of theirs featured in Bill & Teds Excellent Adventure https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_rfXVdYelA)
    John Farnham (Blind Guardian did a cover of his song You're the Voice)
    Upcoming Gigs:
    2025 Wishlist
    mbob
    Chief Petty Officer

by mbob » Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:59 pm

cowboy71 wrote:Some examples of names from the last 30 years that I'd be guaranteed to hear on commercial radio here, but, not there (eg Canada):

What about Jimmy Barnes? I love his stuff!
    2015 - Survivor...Finally! (8320)
    2016 - Survivor (2292)
    2017 - Survivor (9618)
    2018 - Survivor (9678)
    2019 - Survivor (9272)
    2020 - Retired
    2021 - COVID
    2022 - COVID

2023 - Retired
    2024 - Retired

2025 - Maybe time to come out of 70K retirement!
    cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:23 pm

mbob wrote:
    cowboy71 wrote:Some examples of names from the last 30 years that I'd be guaranteed to hear on commercial radio here, but, not there (eg Canada):

Barnesy is maybe SLIGHTLY known worldwide which is why I left him off my list.

But I did kind of include him because he is the lead singer of COLD CHISEL :)
    Upcoming Gigs:
    2025 Wishlist
    mbob
    Chief Petty Officer

by mbob » Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:43 am

cowboy71 wrote:
    mbob wrote:

Barnesy is maybe SLIGHTLY known worldwide which is why I left him off my list.

But I did kind of include him because he is the lead singer of COLD CHISEL :)

I didn't know that he fronted Cold Chisel so I will have to give that a listen.

Jimmy is not really known up here in Texas. I was introduced to him through a college friend in the 80s. I just rediscovered him a few months ago and have been playing his music for my wife who is becoming a fan.
    2015 - Survivor...Finally! (8320)
    2016 - Survivor (2292)
    2017 - Survivor (9618)
    2018 - Survivor (9678)
    2019 - Survivor (9272)
    2020 - Retired
    2021 - COVID
    2022 - COVID

2023 - Retired
    2024 - Retired

2025 - Maybe time to come out of 70K retirement!
    cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Thu Aug 23, 2018 3:18 pm

Cold Chisel are iconic in Australian music. I'm not actually much of a fan (I will sing Khe Sanh at the top of my lungs whenever I hear it though).

Some of their biggest/best songs you should check out (note that Jimmy doesn't sing lead on all of these - Ian Moss sometimes sings lead).

Standing on the Outside
    Flame Trees
    When The War is Over
    Cheap Wine
    Bow River
    Choir Girl
    You Got Nothing I Want
    My Baby
    Khe Sanh
    Forever Now
    Upcoming Gigs:
    2025 Wishlist
    cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:57 pm

Here is a bit of a history lesson :P

Part of rock royalty in Australia. The late, great, Johnny O'Keefe:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZF9rS90U3-U

"Wild One" which you might recognise as it was (MUCH) later covered by Iggy Pop :)
    Upcoming Gigs:
    2025 Wishlist
  • Godflesh
    Ensign

by Godflesh » Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:58 pm

cowboy71 wrote:Here is a bit of a history lesson :P

Part of rock royalty in Australia. The late, great, Johnny O'Keefe:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZF9rS90U3-U

"Wild One" which you might recognise as it was (MUCH) later covered by Iggy Pop :)

Gabrielle, the one song from the French singer Johnny Halliday I can sing when drunk enough, is a cover from the Australian Tony Cole. Do you know him?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=J-XOce_s5mg

French version (that’s some hard rockin’ harmonica - Johnny used to tour with the guitarist from Trust (Antisocial)): https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LsoctV9emQg#fauxfullscreen
    cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:13 pm

Huh. That's pretty cool!

Yes, have heard of Tony Cole. But its a name that even here in Australia only old people or music history buffs like me would know.

Not one you'd hear on commercial radio, or spoken of regularly like other icons of Australian music.
    Upcoming Gigs:
    2025 Wishlist
  • Godflesh
    Ensign

by Godflesh » Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:24 pm

From France: Johnny Halliday playing with Paul Personne and Nono (Trust guitarist): https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fFnioGopfz4#fauxfullscreen
  • Godflesh
    Ensign

by Godflesh » Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:29 pm

And of course, Trust with their best song, L’Elite, with Nicko Mc Brain on drums: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=61ECDYcRbbI
    cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:26 pm

Those are really cool :)

Here are another couple of great Aussie classics.

Weddings, Parties, Anything. A Tale They Won't Believe (always thought this would make a great metal song as its about murder and cannibalism!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnNqxI5EdiI

Its a true story about prison escapees in Tasmania in the 1800s, that resorted to eating each other.

Ted Mulry Gang - Jump in My Car

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPsa8MJU_50

Another classic that would make a great metal cover :D Speaking of covers, apparently David Hasselhoff did a cover version of this!
    Upcoming Gigs:
    2025 Wishlist
  • Godflesh
    Ensign

by Godflesh » Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:54 am

cowboy71 wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:26 pm Those are really cool :)

Here are another couple of great Aussie classics.

Weddings, Parties, Anything. A Tale They Won't Believe (always thought this would make a great metal song as its about murder and cannibalism!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnNqxI5EdiI

Its a true story about prison escapees in Tasmania in the 1800s, that resorted to eating each other.

Ted Mulry Gang - Jump in My Car

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPsa8MJU_50

Another classic that would make a great metal cover :D Speaking of covers, apparently David Hasselhoff did a cover version of this!
    That’s all proto-AC/DC to me :lol:
    I like Rose Tatoo too, BTW.
    cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:35 pm

Rose Tattoo are a funny one.

While I guess well respected here, they are MUCH bigger overseas than they are here!
    Upcoming Gigs:
    2025 Wishlist
  • Disco
    Midshipman

by Disco » Sun Sep 02, 2018 2:32 pm

Phoenix wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:23 am I can't be bothered with posting links, but sure, I'll talk about mine. As a Canadian, there's three bands I can think of, none of which are metal (no I'm not about to talk Nickelback, everyone hates them here too).

Every Canadian is like, required by law to know who The Tragically Hip are. If you live in Canada, you've heard at least three of their songs and will recognise them if they ever come up on the radio. We have this weird ambivalent love for them. So of course, it was a *very* big deal when Gord Downie announced that he had cancer and was doing one last whirlwind tour of the country. He passed away October 2017, and I think his tour wrapped up on August 20, 2016. So yeah, can't get any more Canadian than The Hip.

There's also Great Big Sea. A folk band from Newfoundland, known for their upbeat tunes and songs about drinking. Also no longer active, I think they partied too hard.

There's also Barenaked Ladies, but they're pretty well known internationally (thanks, Big Bang Theory).
    When it comes to Canadian bands I got to go with one of my favorites from Windsor The Tea Party. I live right across the river in Detroit. Barenaked Ladies is my brother's favorite band.
    Melloboat - 2008
    70k Tons - 2011
    70k Tons - 2013
    70k Tons - 2018
    cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Sun Sep 02, 2018 5:35 pm

Tea Party are actually quite well known here in Australia.

Jeff Martin I believe lives here now. I think he may have married an Australian girl and relocated, so Tea party and Jeff as a solo artist tend to play live down here quite a bit.

Heaven Coming Down is one of my favourite songs ever.
    Upcoming Gigs:
    2025 Wishlist
    Gratch
    Chief Petty Officer

by Gratch » Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:13 am

Phoenix wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 3:50 pm I legit love Great Big Sea, it's taking all my will not to share their entire discography but here's their most famous song: https://youtu.be/-wcjBU8zbdY Great Big Sea are so East Coast it's hilarious, seriously.
    Great Big Sea has always been a guilty pleasure band for me. Love their stuff. Had a chance to see them live about 10 years ago, it was honestly one of the funnest live shows I've ever been to.

One of my favorite local bands from Salt Lake is Caladan Brood. They did a brilliant concept album based around Steven Erikson's Malazan Book of the Fallen fantasy series. It's called "Echoes of Battle", and you can check it out via Bandcamp here.
    Survivor 2016/17/18/19/20

Ultimate Wishlist Bands
    Anaal Nathrakh - Behemoth - Igorrr - Khemmis - Myrkur - The Ocean - Pallbearer - Sigh - Tribulation - Sentient Horror - Turisas - Wilderun - Witherscape - Zeal & Ardor
    Decius88
    Oiler

by Decius88 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:10 am

We actually have quite the music/metal scene here on Vancouver Island. Some of them I feel are really good and since they are young I think with some luck and the right moves they could do very well with their careers. Unleash the Archers are from and started their music career here on the island.

First i'd like to mention are my friends in Liberatia. Their guitarist Trylan is a fun friendly guy and talented musician. When I first found out the lyrics are written by him I laughed with how nice he is and how brutal the lyrics were. Their first album released a few months ago, and while I feel it could have used a bit more tweeking with the mixing, I absolutely love it.
    https://liberatia.bandcamp.com/

Next band is from my good buddy Liam. He is honestly one of the most genuine good guys i've ever met. Within minutes of talking with him you feel like you've been friends for years. His band Tama Hills has actually attracted the attention of a record label lately and if anyone deserves a break its him. Hes been working his ass off developing his sound as a vocalist. His band is mostly post-hardcore/hardcore, with some elements of metal and punk.
    https://tamahills.bandcamp.com/

Forever Frost is another Vancouver Island band thats all death metal. I love their music, but unfortunately haven't really had much of a chance to get to know the band members so I don't have too much to say other than they put on a good show!
    https://foreverfrost.bandcamp.com/

Forever Frost vocalist Kyle has a second band he has started up more recently thats much like Tama Hills and more into the hardcore territory. Only one song posted on bandcamp so far so if you like Tama Hills check it out!
    https://theatlasproject.bandcamp.com/releases
    David Carmichael
    British Columbia Canada

Wish List:
    Alestorm|AmonAmarth|ArchEnemy|AtTheGates|AlienWeaponry|CattleDecapitation|DimmuBorgir|ExDeo|Gojira|Jinjer|LambofGod|Liberatia|Rammstein|Slipknot|TamaHills|Testament|The Agonist|Whitechapel
    Tiki108
    Petty Officer

by Tiki108 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:57 pm

I don't know if this counts, but I'm originally from Maryland and when I'd go down to Jaxx (Springfield, VA) for shows the guys from Iron Reagan and Municipal Waste often would show up since Richmond isn't that far from there. I have a photo somewhere at Gwar where they photo bombed me.

Misery Index and Kix are all also from Maryland. There's actually a lot of doom that's come out of Maryland as well, such as The Obsessed and Internal Void.

I live in Tampa now, so of course we have Savatage, TSO, Circle II Circle, Iced Earth, Kamelot, Obituary, Cannibal Corpse, etc.
    70K: 2014, 2020
    MDF: 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017
    Summer Breeze: 2014, 2015
    Party.San: 2015
    ProgPower: 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2022, 2023
    Trveheim: 2018

2024_Wishlist:

Probably skipping again :cry:
    Post Reply 22 posts Page 1 of 1