Post Reply 5 posts Page 1 of 1
The Psychology of Heavy Metal
    Castroh
    Chief Petty Officer

The Psychology of Heavy Metal

by Castroh » Wed Dec 29, 2021 10:39 pm

Hi there 70000 Tons family! As a professional, and someone with an understanding of the emotional connection to the music we all love, I want to know what you think draws you and others to the resonance of heavy metal? I have my own opinions, but I want to hear yours.

There is clearly a frequency in this vast style of music which touches each and every one of us in our own way. Explain your experience if you dare.
    2012 - 2020 Survivor
    2023 - Booked!
    Pellaz
    Lieutenant

Re: The Psychology of Heavy Metal

by Pellaz » Wed Jan 12, 2022 4:07 am

Castroh wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 10:39 pm Hi there 70000 Tons family! As a professional, and someone with an understanding of the emotional connection to the music we all love, I want to know what you think draws you and others to the resonance of heavy metal? I have my own opinions, but I want to hear yours.

There is clearly a frequency in this vast style of music which touches each and every one of us in our own way. Explain your experience if you dare.
    A combination of a lot of things, for me. The power, the complexity (usually), the talent...and the fact that metal is, and probably always will be, on the far fringes of popular or "accepted" culture.
    2025 Wishlist:
    1349--Abbath--Abigail.Williams--Aephanemer--Agalloch--Agathodaimon--Alien.Weaponry--Allegaeon--Amon.Amarth--Amorphis--Animals.As.Leaders--Arkona--Arsis--Atrocity--Ayreon--Bal.Sagoth--Baroness--Barren.Earth--Battlelore--Behemoth--Below.7--Belzebubs--Be'lakor--Black.Crown.Initiate--Bloodbath--Borknagar--Broken.Trinity--Cannibal.Corpse--Chthe'ilist--CoF--Countless.Skies--Cynic--Demons.&.Wizards--Dimmu.Borgir--Dark.Tranquillity--Dragonforce--Edge.of.Sanity--Witherscape--anything.Dan.Swano--Eluveitie--Eneferens--Ensiferum--Enslaved--Eternal.Tears.of.Sorrow--Evergrey--Exmortus--Ex.Deo--Fear.Factory--Fires.In.the.Distance--Gojira--Graveworm--Green.Carnation--Hypocrisy--Immortal--Insomnium--Irreversible.Mechanism--Kalmah--Kamelot--Keep.Of.Kalessin--Korpiklaani--Kreator--Leprous--Luciferan.Light.Orchestra--Loss--Melechesh--Meshuggah--Mezarkabul--Moonspell--Mors.Principium.Est--Myrath--Ne.Obliviscaris--Nile--Nokturnal.Mortem--NorthTale--Novembers.Doom--Obscura--Old.Mans.Child--Opeth--Paladin--Poisonblack--Powerwolf--Primordial--Rapheumet's.Well--Raven--Rivers.Of.Nihil--Ryujin--Sabaton--Sadistic.Ritual--Samael--Satyricon--Savatage--Scale.the.Summit--Scorched.Moon--Septic.Flesh--Serious.Black--Seven.Spires--Sigh--Skalmold--Slough.Feg--Starkill--Steorrah--SYL--Suidakra--Summoning--Tarot--Therion--Thy.Serpent--Tomarum--Tomb.Mold--Turisas--Twilight.Force--Tyr--Vale.Of.Pnath--Valhalore--Vesania--Vintersorg--Wolfchant--Yyrkoon
    2015-2020; 2023-2024: Survivor
    2025: most likely
  • Iconix
    Crewman

by Iconix » Wed Jan 12, 2022 4:32 pm

For me it comes down to a number of things

* The talent - I think most of us would agree that on average, metal musicians are far more talented and creative than the majority of musicians in more popular genres
    * The culture - or maybe the counter-culture is more accurate. Clearly there's an innate appeal to most metal fans of being part of something viewed with skepticism and disdain by 'normal' society
    * The emotional resonance - probably the most important thing for me is that metal, on the whole, expresses a broader spectrum of emotion than most popular music does, and does it in a much more mature and nuanced way. In addition, metal for me has a distinct focus on using negative emotions to create a positive response. Anger can become energizing and empowering, melancholy can be cathartic and beautiful. I've always found that metalheads seem to be way more emotionally well adjusted people because they have that extra tool to understand and process anger, grief, sorrow, and despair.
    70k Survivor:
    2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2023, 2024

Wishlist: (ON!, last year, repeats, still hoping)

Aeternam-AlienWeaponry-AllShallPerish-Allegaeon-AMONAMARTH-Amorphis-Anciients-AndyGillion-ArchEnemy-AtTheGates-BE'LAKOR-Belzebubs-BeyondCreation-TheBlackDahliaMurder-BlackCrownInitiate-Blackguard-BloodStainChild-BORKNAGAR-Carcass-Chimaira-CountlessSkies-DarkAge-Darkane-DarkLunacy-DarkTranquillity-Devildriver-Diablo-DimensionZero-DimmuBorgir-DisarmoniaMundi-Eluveitie-Ensiferum-Equilibrium-EternalTearsOfSorrow-FearFactory-Finntroll-FleshgodApocalypse-GOJIRA-Gyze-TheHaloEffect-TheHaunted-Helleborus-Ihsahn-InFlames-InMourning-Insomnium-IntoEternity-InVain-Kalmah-Katatonia-KingOfAsgard-LacunaCoil-LambOfGod-Manegarm-Mastodon-Mercenary-Miseration-Moonsorrow-Moonspell-MorsPrincipiumEst-NeObliviscaris-Nightrage-Obscura-TheOcean-OceansOfSlumber-OctoberTide-OmniumGatherum-OPETH-Ouroboros-Persefone-PainConfessor-Raunchy-RiversOfNihil-RottingChrist-SaltatioMortis-ScarSymmetry-ShadowsFall-Shylmagoghnar-Skeletonwitch-Skyfire-Slipknot-Soen-Soilwork-Solution.45-Stam1na-Susperia-SvartCrown-SwallowTheSun-Sylosis-Testament-ThreatSignal-Trivium-Turisas-Tyr-Unearth-UnleashTheArchers-Whitechapel-WhiteVoid-Wilderun-Wintersun-Wolfheart

\m/ >_< \m/
    cegr80
    Lieutenant

by cegr80 » Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:51 am

I agree with what Sam Dunn says in his documentary "Metal - A Headbanger's Journey"
    2017.2018.2019.2020.2023.2024.GOLD.Survivor|2025 Wishlist:1349-1914-Aephanemer-Akercoke-Alcest-Alkaloid-AnaalNathrakh-AnAbstractIllusion-Atvm-Avatar-Avslut-Be'lakor-Belzebubs-ChapelOfDisease-Chthonic-Darkthrone-DiabloSwingOrchestra-Dimmu Borgir-Dodheimsgard-Draconian-EternalTearsOfSorrow-FreakKitchen-Hamferd-IATT-LochVostok-Marduk-NocnyKochanek-Satyricon-Schammasch-Scour-Shining(Nor)-Sigh-SulphurAeon-Turisas-Ulver-Virvum-Watain-WhiteWard
    Castroh
    Chief Petty Officer

by Castroh » Sun Jan 23, 2022 7:51 pm

Iconix wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 4:32 pm *In addition, metal for me has a distinct focus on using negative emotions to create a positive response. Anger can become energizing and empowering, melancholy can be cathartic and beautiful.
    I understand exactly what you mean by this. Being able to feel the light by understanding the darkness defines heavy metal music. Metal provides an insight into the human experience that no other genres dare to explore.
    2012 - 2020 Survivor
    2023 - Booked!
Post Reply 5 posts Page 1 of 1