Post Reply 7 posts Page 1 of 1
70000 Tons of Kids!!!
    Castroh
    Chief Petty Officer

70000 Tons of Kids!!!

by Castroh » Sun Jan 23, 2022 7:58 pm

I have a 9 year old daughter named Rhiannon (named after a 70k friend), and we’re thinking of bringing her next year. I’ve seen a few kids on our cruise over the years, but wanted to get everyone’s opinion on brining children next year. If you have kids, will you bring them on 70k? Should I bring my daughter? Can we make a 70k kids club? Let me know your thoughts.
    2012 - 2020 Survivor
    2023 - Booked!
  • metalforever
    Chief Petty Officer

Re: 70000 Tons of Kids!!!

by metalforever » Sun Jan 23, 2022 8:09 pm

Castroh wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 7:58 pm I have a 9 year old daughter named Rhiannon (named after a 70k friend), and we’re thinking of bringing her next year. I’ve seen a few kids on our cruise over the years, but wanted to get everyone’s opinion on brining children next year. If you have kids, will you bring them on 70k? Should I bring my daughter? Can we make a 70k kids club? Let me know your thoughts.
    Hello , I feel parenting styles vary a great deal to what works best for them . With that said for me personally if my children were not already grown I would not bring my kids on a 70000 Tons cruise unless they were at least 12 years old , due to the overall mature nature of the cruise , to each his or her own though , this is just my personal perspective. Good luck either way to what you decide.
    cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Mon Jan 24, 2022 3:38 am

I've taken my son on the last 2 cruises - he was about 10 at the time of the first cruise.

He has had a blast both times - the noise was a bit too much for him but we were prepared with a couple of pairs of profesh ear-muffs.

But yeah sure there is some "adult content" on the cruise but whatever. He had a ball - fans treated him great, bands treated him great. At the Epica show on the last cruise simone was giving away a signed epica shirt to a 'special' fan in the crowd. She saw me and my son and the barrier and she made a bee-line straight for him - he loves that shirt so much and still wears it all the time :)

So yes! Kids! Bring the along!! My son will be sure to join me again in 2023, covid-willing!!
    Upcoming Gigs:
    -/-Halestorm?-/-Fleshgod-Apocalypse-/-Scar-Symmetry-/-Wind-Rose-/-Unleash-The-Archers
    2025 Wishlist
    Ad-Infinitum-/-Aephanemer-/-All-For-Metal-/-Alterium-/-Ancient-Bards-/-Atlas-Pain-/-Avantasia-/-Battlelore-/Beast-In-Black-/-Believer-/-Beyond-The-Black-/-Brothers-of-Metal-/-Catalyst-Crime-/-Civil-War-/-Circus-Maximus-/-Claymorean-/-Cobra-Spell-/-Dark-Moor-/-Dark-Sarah-/-Dartagnan-/-Diabulus-In-Musica-/-Edguy-/-Ex-Libris-/-Exit-Eden-/-Fellowship-/-Follow-The-Cipher-/-Frozen-Crown-/-Galderia-/-Hammer-King-/-Heavatar-/-Ignea-/-Imperial-Age-/-In-This-Moment-/-Jaldaboath-/-Kaledon-/-Labyrinth-/-Living-Sacrifice-/-Metalite-/-Moonlight-Haze-/-Neopera-/-Nestor-/-Nocturna-/-Orden-Ogan-/-Pathfinder-/-Phantom-Elite-/-Poisonblack-/-Power-Paladin-/-Powerwolf-/-The-Privateer-/-Rexoria-/-Running-Wild-/-She-Wolf-/-Silver-Bullet-/-Sleeping-Romance-/-Sojourner-/-Tarot-/-Ten-/-Thaurorod-/-The-Big-Deal-/-The-Dark-Element-/-Trick-or-Treat-/-Trillium-/-Unisonic-/-Valhalore-/-Vanishing-Point-/-Volturian-/-Walk-In-Darkness-/-Within-Temptation
  • Mehdi
    Wiper

by Mehdi » Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:37 am

I like the idea of a kids club !
    Hopefully 2023 will be my first 70k cruise (fingers crossed) so maybe I won't bring my daughter this time. Besides she's 7 now and has to be at school anyway, as the cruise takes place just after the holidays.
    acidbasement
    Chief Petty Officer

by acidbasement » Mon Jan 24, 2022 12:06 pm

We've taken our kids since they were 5 and 7 years old in 2015, six years in a row until 2020. They've basically grown up on the boat.

It's a different experience. You don't get to party as hard as you otherwise would, and you won't get to see as many shows. But you will get to hang out in the Solarium pool a lot, and make great memories as a family. In 2016, at six years old, my youngest crowdsurfed in the Hammerfall moshtub repeatedly. He also usually goes in the belly-flop competition - great fun until Dad the videographer has to miss Manegarm because they're playing at the same time. My kids love the people, they love metal culture, and they 100% love the boat - they're not really into having their eardrums pounded out at 120 dB (even with the ear protection we make sure they wear), so they don't go to too many concerts. Waste of money bringing them? I don't know, it's a great family vacation, but fuck yes it's expensive. But they love it, and they're going to remember it forever. We also do family-friendly stuff in Florida before and after the cruise, so they get some stuff that is specifically for them.

You get to decide for yourself if the cruise crowd is too mature for your kid. My feeling is that until they're teenagers, they're not going to understand that everyone is drunk and they're not going to pass judgment on that the way adults will anyway. What they will understand is that there are people from all over the world who have come together and are having the time of their lives.

The ship has a free daycare that operates limited hours every day. They have also offered in-room babysitting that you can schedule with guest services. It was $20/hr in 2015, not sure what it will be in 2023.
    I'm only here to do two things: play the bagpipes and gargle sulphuric acid. Looks like we're almost out of acid.
    Castroh
    Chief Petty Officer

by Castroh » Sun Jan 30, 2022 9:50 pm

I appreciate the responses so far! I’ve been on the boat since 2012, so I’m thinking it’ll be more of a family vacation with a few concerts, a lot of swimming, water slides, arcade fun, mini golf, great food, and awesome people. I’ll check out the bands I need to see, but I won’t be running from show to show like a madman. It would be really cool if there was a group of kids from around the world who could all hang for an hour or two each day and build those memories. We’ll see what happens, I’m still 50/50 right now.
    2012 - 2020 Survivor
    2023 - Booked!
    acidbasement
    Chief Petty Officer

by acidbasement » Mon Feb 14, 2022 8:32 am

Castroh wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 9:50 pm I appreciate the responses so far! I’ve been on the boat since 2012, so I’m thinking it’ll be more of a family vacation with a few concerts, a lot of swimming, water slides, arcade fun, mini golf, great food, and awesome people. I’ll check out the bands I need to see, but I won’t be running from show to show like a madman. It would be really cool if there was a group of kids from around the world who could all hang for an hour or two each day and build those memories. We’ll see what happens, I’m still 50/50 right now.
    Just be warned that if you bring them once, they're going to want to keep coming :)
    I'm only here to do two things: play the bagpipes and gargle sulphuric acid. Looks like we're almost out of acid.
Post Reply 7 posts Page 1 of 1