Post Reply 68 posts
Cripper Awards 2023
    Mr.Kito
    Midshipman

Cripper Awards 2023

by Mr.Kito » Wed Nov 16, 2022 1:44 pm

Might start that already :lol:

Do we have any contestants so far?
    2024 Wishlist: Accept-Ad.Infinitum-After.Forever-Alestorm-Amon.Amarth-Amorphis-Angra-Angus.McSix-Ankor-Annihilator-Arch.Enemy-Brainstorm-Bruce.Dickinson-Body.Count-Cradle.Of.Filth-Crypta-Chaoseum-Cynic-Danko.Jones-Dark.Lunacy-Dark.Tranquillity-Deathless.Legacy-Deathstars-Destruction-Diablo.Swing.Orchestra-Dimmu.Borgir-Edguy-Edu.Falaschi-Equilibrium-Epica-Evergrey-Feuerschwanz-Final.Disaster-Frog.Leap-Grand.Magus-Gotthard-How.We.End-Infected.Rain-In.Flames-Insomnium-James.LaBrie-Jinjer-KKs.Priest-Kontrust-Korpiklaani-Kreator-Lacuna.Coil-Lords.Of.The.Lost-Megara-Mors.Principium.Est-Myrath-Nailbomb-Nanowar.Of.Steel-Nervosa-Nightwish-Onslaught-Overkill-Perzonal.War-Primal.Fear-Poisonblack-Psychostick-Queensryche-Rammstein-Raven.Black-Rotting.Christ-Reclaim.The.Silence-Sabaton-Saltatio.Mortis-Scar.Symmetry-Sepultura-Seven.Kingdoms-Solution.45-Slashy.Sue-Soilwork-Splintered.Halo-Spoil.Engine-Swashbuckle-Tarot-Testament-The.Dark.Side.Of.The.Moon-The.Halo.Effect-Torture.Squad-TrollFest-Tuatha.De.Danann-Turisas-Wind.Rose-Within.Temptation
    2013, 2014, 2015, 2018-Survivor
    2011, 2012, 2016, 2017, 2019, 2020, 2023- :(
    2021, 2022- F### CORONAVIRUS
    2024 - BOOKED!! :shred:
  • MuzakMaker
    Chief Petty Officer

Re: Cripper Awards 2023

by MuzakMaker » Wed Nov 16, 2022 3:28 pm

Novembre
    Oceans of Slumber
    Feuerschwanz
    Abysmal Dawn

Right now out of those four I like Feuerschwanz the most but it feels kind of against the spirt of Cripper to give it to a fairly well established band.
    3.Inches.of.Blood-A.Sound.of.Thunder-Adamantis-Aether.Realm-AfterTime-Alien.Weaponry-Amaranthe-Amorphis-Ancient.Bards-Andy.Gillion-Anneke.van.Giersbergen-Apocalyptica-Archon.Angel-Ascension-Atavistia-Auridius-Avantasia-Axxis-Battle.Beast-Beast.in.Black-Blind.Guardian-Bloodbound-Body.Count-Butcher.Babies-Cains.Offering-Civil.War-Cybertronic.Spree-Cyhra-Dear.Mother-Deathless.Legacy-Dethlehem-Devin.Townsend-Dialith-Dovas-Dragonforce-Dragonland-Dragony-Droids.Attack-Edge.of.Paradise-Edguy-Eluveitie-ElvenKing-Empress-Ensiferum-Epica-Exit.Eden-Fellowship-FeuerSchwanz-Firewind-First.Fragment-Fleshgod.Apocalypse-Freedom.Call-Galneryus-Gone.in.April-Grailknights-Grand.Magus-Grave.Digger-Green.Death-Greyhawk-Gyze/Ryujin-Hammerfall-Heavatar-Helion.Prime-Hellryder-Ice.Giant-Immortal.Guardian-In.Flames-Infected.Rain-Iron.Kingdom-Iron.Savior-Jeff.Scott.Soto-Jinjer-Jorn-Kamelot-King.Gizzard.and.the.Lizard.Wizard-Knight.of.the.Round-Knightmare-Lacuna.Coil-Lizzy.Borden-Lordi-Lords.of.the.Trident-Magnum-Majestica-Master.Sword-MaYaN-Mega.Colossus-Meshuggah-Moonlight.Haze-Myrath-Night.Demon-Nightmare-Nightwish-Of.Romulus-Orden.Ogan-Overkill-Paladin-Plague.of.Stars-Powerglove-Pretty.Maids-Psychostick-Queen.of.Dreams-Ravenous.EH-Sabaton-Sascha.Paeth's.Master.of.Ceremony-Scorched.Moon-Seven.Kingdoms-Seven.Spires-Sonata.Arctica-Steelhammer-Striker-Tarot-Tenacious.D-Theocracy-Throne.of.Iron-Traveler-Turisas-Twighlight.Force-Tyr-Uncle.Acid.&.the.Deadbeats-Unleash.the.Archers-Untoothers-Van.Canto-Visions.of.Atlantis-Volbeat-Vuur-While.She.Sleeps-Wilderun-Within.Temptation
    cegr80
    Lieutenant

by cegr80 » Wed Nov 16, 2022 3:51 pm

Let's review the rules for Cripper Award nominees...

Less than 10,000 listeners in last.fm? If that is the case, then none of these bands apply
    2017.2018.2019.2020.2023.2024.GOLD.Survivor|2025 Wishlist:1349-1914-Aephanemer-Akercoke-Alcest-Alkaloid-AnaalNathrakh-AnAbstractIllusion-Atvm-Avatar-Avslut-Be'lakor-Belzebubs-ChapelOfDisease-Chthonic-Darkthrone-DiabloSwingOrchestra-Dimmu Borgir-Dodheimsgard-Draconian-EternalTearsOfSorrow-FreakKitchen-Hamferd-IATT-LochVostok-Marduk-NocnyKochanek-Satyricon-Schammasch-Scour-Shining(Nor)-Sigh-SulphurAeon-Turisas-Ulver-Virvum-Watain-WhiteWard
  • MuzakMaker
    Chief Petty Officer

by MuzakMaker » Wed Nov 16, 2022 4:46 pm

cegr80 wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 3:51 pm Let's review the rules for Cripper Award nominees...

Less than 10,000 listeners in last.fm? If that is the case, then none of these bands apply
    Yeah, that worked in the olden days, but booking enough bands with less than 10000 and hasn't been on the boat before to warrant actually discussing and voting seems very unlikely so I expanded to follow the rules that at least could be followed.
    3.Inches.of.Blood-A.Sound.of.Thunder-Adamantis-Aether.Realm-AfterTime-Alien.Weaponry-Amaranthe-Amorphis-Ancient.Bards-Andy.Gillion-Anneke.van.Giersbergen-Apocalyptica-Archon.Angel-Ascension-Atavistia-Auridius-Avantasia-Axxis-Battle.Beast-Beast.in.Black-Blind.Guardian-Bloodbound-Body.Count-Butcher.Babies-Cains.Offering-Civil.War-Cybertronic.Spree-Cyhra-Dear.Mother-Deathless.Legacy-Dethlehem-Devin.Townsend-Dialith-Dovas-Dragonforce-Dragonland-Dragony-Droids.Attack-Edge.of.Paradise-Edguy-Eluveitie-ElvenKing-Empress-Ensiferum-Epica-Exit.Eden-Fellowship-FeuerSchwanz-Firewind-First.Fragment-Fleshgod.Apocalypse-Freedom.Call-Galneryus-Gone.in.April-Grailknights-Grand.Magus-Grave.Digger-Green.Death-Greyhawk-Gyze/Ryujin-Hammerfall-Heavatar-Helion.Prime-Hellryder-Ice.Giant-Immortal.Guardian-In.Flames-Infected.Rain-Iron.Kingdom-Iron.Savior-Jeff.Scott.Soto-Jinjer-Jorn-Kamelot-King.Gizzard.and.the.Lizard.Wizard-Knight.of.the.Round-Knightmare-Lacuna.Coil-Lizzy.Borden-Lordi-Lords.of.the.Trident-Magnum-Majestica-Master.Sword-MaYaN-Mega.Colossus-Meshuggah-Moonlight.Haze-Myrath-Night.Demon-Nightmare-Nightwish-Of.Romulus-Orden.Ogan-Overkill-Paladin-Plague.of.Stars-Powerglove-Pretty.Maids-Psychostick-Queen.of.Dreams-Ravenous.EH-Sabaton-Sascha.Paeth's.Master.of.Ceremony-Scorched.Moon-Seven.Kingdoms-Seven.Spires-Sonata.Arctica-Steelhammer-Striker-Tarot-Tenacious.D-Theocracy-Throne.of.Iron-Traveler-Turisas-Twighlight.Force-Tyr-Uncle.Acid.&.the.Deadbeats-Unleash.the.Archers-Untoothers-Van.Canto-Visions.of.Atlantis-Volbeat-Vuur-While.She.Sleeps-Wilderun-Within.Temptation
    slayergeek
    Midshipman

by slayergeek » Wed Nov 16, 2022 5:18 pm

MuzakMaker wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 4:46 pm
    cegr80 wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 3:51 pm Let's review the rules for Cripper Award nominees...

Yeah, that worked in the olden days, but booking enough bands with less than 10000 and hasn't been on the boat before to warrant actually discussing and voting seems very unlikely so I expanded to follow the rules that at least could be followed.
    I think it's a little early to discuss changing the Cripper rules. The announcements before tickets are on sale are there to get people to buy (bigger names). I expect we will get some real Cripper bands after sales start. Besides, there is no real voting until after the cruise anyway. Can't vote a performance you have not seen :)
    Last edited by slayergeek on Wed Nov 16, 2022 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Survivor
    • 2014,2015,2016,2017,2018,2019,2020,2023,2024,See_you_in_2025

Absolute_Darkness-Death/Thrash_Band_I_am_the_Singer/Guitarist_for
    • FacebookPage-https://www.facebook.com/BandAbsoluteDarkness

Thud_Bukit-Death/Comedy_Band_I_am_the_Singer/Guitarist/Drummer/Bassist_for
    • FacebookPage-https://www.facebook.com/Thud-Bukit-100960638505481

70k Bands - Unofficial iPhone/Android_app_of_the_70,000_tons_cruise
    WishList
    • Old_Man's_Child-/-Battle_Cross-/-Impaled-/-Dismember-/-Amon_Amarth-/-Dethklok-/-Gruesome-/-Rotten_Sound-/-As_Blood_Runs_Black-/-Through_The_Eyes_Of_The_Dead-/-Testament-/
    cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Wed Nov 16, 2022 6:42 pm

Agreed. I say we have zero bands that are able to be nominated yet :P
    Upcoming Gigs:
    -/-Scar-Symmetry-/-Wind-Rose-/-Unleash-The-Archers-/-Amaranthe
    2025 Wishlist
    Ad-Infinitum-/-Aephanemer-/-All-For-Metal-/-Alterium-/-Ancient-Bards-/-Atlas-Pain-/-Avantasia-/-Battlelore-/Beast-In-Black-/-Believer-/-Beyond-The-Black-/-Brothers-of-Metal-/-Catalyst-Crime-/-Civil-War-/-Circus-Maximus-/-Claymorean-/-Cobra-Spell-/-Dark-Moor-/-Dark-Sarah-/-Dartagnan-/-Diabulus-In-Musica-/-Edguy-/-Ex-Libris-/-Exit-Eden-/-Fellowship-/-Follow-The-Cipher-/-Frozen-Crown-/-Galderia-/-Hammer-King-/-Heavatar-/-Ignea-/-Imperial-Age-/-In-This-Moment-/-Jaldaboath-/-Kaledon-/-Labyrinth-/-Living-Sacrifice-/-Metalite-/-Moonlight-Haze-/-Neopera-/-Nestor-/-Nocturna-/-Orden-Ogan-/-Pathfinder-/-Phantom-Elite-/-Poisonblack-/-Power-Paladin-/-Powerwolf-/-The-Privateer-/-Rexoria-/-Running-Wild-/-She-Wolf-/-Silver-Bullet-/-Sleeping-Romance-/-Sojourner-/-Tarot-/-Ten-/-Thaurorod-/-The-Big-Deal-/-The-Dark-Element-/-Trick-or-Treat-/-Trillium-/-Unisonic-/-Valhalore-/-Vanishing-Point-/-Volturian-/-Walk-In-Darkness-/-Within-Temptation
  • MuzakMaker
    Chief Petty Officer

by MuzakMaker » Wed Nov 16, 2022 10:19 pm

slayergeek wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 5:18 pm
    MuzakMaker wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 4:46 pm

I think it's a little early to discuss changing the Cripper rules. The announcements before tickets are on sale are there to get people to buy (bigger names). I expect we will get some real Cripper bands after sales start. Besides, there is no real voting until after the cruise anyway. Can't vote a performance you have not seen :)
    Oh, I'm not saying change them now. But it's kind of pointless to even bring this up at all at this point if we think there's no valid bands
    bodomdragon
    Sub-Lieutenant

by bodomdragon » Thu Nov 17, 2022 6:45 am

Definitely too early to discuss candidates, and definitely no band announced so far applies.

No worries - every single year among the last announcements we get many candidates. It has always been like that and will undoubtedly happen again.
    Wishlist:
    Ad.Infinitum--Aephanemer--Alestorm--Anthriel--AVANTASIA--Axxis--
    Battle.Beast--Beast.in.Black--Belzebubs--Be'lakor--BEYOND.THE.BLACK--Borealis--BORKNAGAR--Brymir--Caligula's.Horse--CHAOSBAY--Countless.Skies--Crowne--Dimmu.Borgir--DGM--Distorted.Harmony--DragonForce--Dream.Theater--Eclipse.(Sweden)--ELECTRIC.CALLBOY--Ensiferum--Evergrey--FEUERSCHWANZ--Fractal.Gates--Freedom.Call--GAMMA.RAY--Haken--Hei'an--Helloween--In.Mourning--INSOMNIUM--Kamelot--Keep.Of.Kalessin--KISSIN'.DYNAMITE--MERCENARY--Moonsorrow--Ne.Obliviscaris--Orden.Ogan--Pretty.Maids--Powerglove--PYRAMAZE--SABATON--SEVENTH.WONDER--Shade.Empire--Skeletoon--SOEN--Subterranean.Masquerade--SYMPHONY.X--Tremonti--Trollfest--Unleash.The.Archers--VISIONS.OF.ATLANTIS--VOLA--Volbeat--VOYAGER--WIDEK--Wilderun--Wintersun

2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2023, 2024: Survivor

Unofficial 70K User Guide: https://70kguide.wordpress.com
    Castroh
    Chief Petty Officer

by Castroh » Fri Nov 18, 2022 7:57 pm

A Cripper Reunion onbroad would definitely be eligible to win the Cripper award!
    2012 - 2020 Survivor
    2023 - Booked!
    bodomdragon
    Sub-Lieutenant

by bodomdragon » Mon Jan 16, 2023 11:52 am

Is there still interest on the Cripper Award, or should we put it to rest?

If we are to continue with it, may I suggest a slightly modernized approach? I would suggest that out of the 60 bands, we take the 10% (6 bands) with less listeners on Spotify, and those are our contestants.
    Wishlist:
    Battle.Beast--Beast.in.Black--Belzebubs--Be'lakor--BEYOND.THE.BLACK--Borealis--BORKNAGAR--Brymir--Caligula's.Horse--CHAOSBAY--Countless.Skies--Crowne--Dimmu.Borgir--DGM--Distorted.Harmony--DragonForce--Dream.Theater--Eclipse.(Sweden)--ELECTRIC.CALLBOY--Ensiferum--Evergrey--FEUERSCHWANZ--Fractal.Gates--Freedom.Call--GAMMA.RAY--Haken--Hei'an--Helloween--In.Mourning--INSOMNIUM--Kamelot--Keep.Of.Kalessin--KISSIN'.DYNAMITE--MERCENARY--Moonsorrow--Ne.Obliviscaris--Orden.Ogan--Pretty.Maids--Powerglove--PYRAMAZE--SABATON--SEVENTH.WONDER--Shade.Empire--Skeletoon--SOEN--Subterranean.Masquerade--SYMPHONY.X--Tremonti--Trollfest--Unleash.The.Archers--VISIONS.OF.ATLANTIS--VOLA--Volbeat--VOYAGER--WIDEK--Wilderun--Wintersun

• Godflesh
    Ensign

by Godflesh » Mon Jan 16, 2023 1:15 pm

We already have 9 newbie bands with < 10000 listeners.
    I’m sure we’ll get 10 more :lol:
    cegr80
    Lieutenant

by cegr80 » Mon Jan 16, 2023 2:36 pm

Why not stick with the classic rules? Them two trios are perfect Cripper nominees by regular standards, so 6 is a good number so far.

Adding too many bands would make it more difficult, imo.

Just my two cents
    2017.2018.2019.2020.2023.2024.GOLD.Survivor|2025 Wishlist:1349-1914-Aephanemer-Akercoke-Alcest-Alkaloid-AnaalNathrakh-AnAbstractIllusion-Atvm-Avatar-Avslut-Be'lakor-Belzebubs-ChapelOfDisease-Chthonic-Darkthrone-DiabloSwingOrchestra-Dimmu Borgir-Dodheimsgard-Draconian-EternalTearsOfSorrow-FreakKitchen-Hamferd-IATT-LochVostok-Marduk-NocnyKochanek-Satyricon-Schammasch-Scour-Shining(Nor)-Sigh-SulphurAeon-Turisas-Ulver-Virvum-Watain-WhiteWard
    cegr80
    Lieutenant

by cegr80 » Mon Jan 16, 2023 2:37 pm

Godflesh wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 1:15 pm We already have 9 newbie bands with < 10000 listeners.
    I'm not sure if omitting number of albums is good for nominees. Some of those bands you are counting clearly have more than one album
    cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Mon Jan 16, 2023 2:40 pm

I think we should continue with this, even if it is back to being more of a "fun" thing (ie whatever happened to the "award" battle vest?)

And I agree with sticking to the classic rules.
    Upcoming Gigs:
    2025 Wishlist
    Ad-Infinitum-/-Aephanemer-/-All-For-Metal-/-Alterium-/-Ancient-Bards-/-Atlas-Pain-/-Avantasia-/-Battlelore-/Beast-In-Black-/-Believer-/-Beyond-The-Black-/-Brothers-of-Metal-/-Catalyst-Crime-/-Civil-War-/-Circus-Maximus-/-Claymorean-/-Cobra-Spell-/-Dark-Moor-/-Dark-Sarah-/-Dartagnan-/-Diabulus-In-Musica-/-Edguy-/-Ex-Libris-/-Exit-Eden-/-Fellowship-/-Follow-The-Cipher-/-Frozen-Crown-/-Galderia-/-Hammer-King-/-Heavatar-/-Ignea-/-Imperial-Age-/-In-This-Moment-/-Jaldaboath-/-Kaledon-/-Labyrinth-/-Living-Sacrifice-/-Metalite-/-Moonlight-Haze-/-Neopera-/-Nestor-/-Nocturna-/-Orden-Ogan-/-Pathfinder-/-Phantom-Elite-/-Poisonblack-/-Power-Paladin-/-Powerwolf-/-The-Privateer-/-Rexoria-/-Running-Wild-/-She-Wolf-/-Silver-Bullet-/-Sleeping-Romance-/-Sojourner-/-Tarot-/-Ten-/-Thaurorod-/-The-Big-Deal-/-The-Dark-Element-/-Trick-or-Treat-/-Trillium-/-Unisonic-/-Valhalore-/-Vanishing-Point-/-Volturian-/-Walk-In-Darkness-/-Within-Temptation
    bodomdragon
    Sub-Lieutenant

by bodomdragon » Mon Jan 16, 2023 4:05 pm

cegr80 wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 2:36 pm Why not stick with the classic rules? Them two trios are perfect Cripper nominees by regular standards, so 6 is a good number so far.

Just my two cents
    I was suggesting moving to "Spotify criteria" because nowadays MANY of us use it and I really believe it's the most reliable criteria when it comes to evaluating how popular a band is. Much more than last.fm. And yes, as I said 6 bands is a good number, I agree.

Hey, I'm one of the organizers, or at least I was, so my game, my rules.

(Kidding, whatever the fuck you guys want, I really couldn't care less :D)
    Wishlist:

cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Mon Jan 16, 2023 4:19 pm

bodomdragon wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 4:05 pm
    cegr80 wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 2:36 pm Why not stick with the classic rules? Them two trios are perfect Cripper nominees by regular standards, so 6 is a good number so far.

Just my two cents
    I was suggesting moving to "Spotify criteria" because nowadays MANY of us use it and I really believe it's the most reliable criteria when it comes to evaluating how popular a band is. Much more than last.fm. And yes, as I said 6 bands is a good number, I agree.

Hey, I'm one of the organizers, or at least I was, so my game, my rules.

(Kidding, whatever the fuck you guys want, I really couldn't care less :D)
    All good you make a valid point! I use both last.fm and spotify so don't care either way :)
    Upcoming Gigs:
    2025 Wishlist
    toby
    Midshipman

by toby » Mon Jan 16, 2023 4:33 pm

What were the full criteria again?

I also think that Spotify may be the better option.
    Survivor 2019,2020,2023,2024/Wishlist...
    A.Sound.Of.Thunder/Accept/Ad.Infinitum/Aether.Realm/Alabama.Thunderpussy/Amaranthe/Anthrax/Arch.Enemy/Art.Of.Anarchy/At.The.Gates/Avantasia/Avatar/Burning.Witches/Cattle.Decapitation/Cemetery.Skyline/Corrosion.Of.Conformity/Crowbar/Dark.Tranquillity/Death.Angel/Death.Dealer.Union/Deathless.Legacy/Devin.Townsend/Dragony/Dream.Theater/Edguy/Elegant.Weapons/Eluveitie/Ensiferum/Exhorder/Exodus/Fates.Warning/Feuerschwanz/Goatwhore/Haken/Hammerfall/Havok/Helloween/Hellscore/Jinjer/Kerry.King/King.Diamond/King's.X/Kobra.and.the.Lotus/Lacuna.Coil/Mercyful.Fate/Meshuggah/Metal.Church/Moonspell/Mors.Principium.Est/Myrath/Napalm.Death/Ne.Obliviscaris/Nekrogoblikon/Northern.Kings/Opeth/Orphaned.Land/Overkill/Paradise.Lost/Persefone/Powerwolf/Queensryche/Rage/Raven/Ravenous.EH/Riot.V/Sabaton/Scardust/Scorched.Moon/Seven.Spires/SIGH/Skiltron/Solemn.Vision/Sonata.Arctica/Soto/Stratovarius/Subway.to.Sally/Suicidal.Tendencies/Svartsot/Symphony.X/Testament/The.Black.Dahlia.Murder/The.Hu/The.Unity/Tribunal/Trouble/Twilight.Force/Unleash.The.Archers/Van.Canto/Within.Temptation
    cegr80
    Lieutenant

by cegr80 » Mon Jan 16, 2023 5:28 pm

Oh, I use Spotify way more than last.fm .... so I wouldn't mind switching to a Spotify criteria

As long as we agree on number of listeners and albums for nominees, I'm game
    toby
    Midshipman

by toby » Mon Jan 16, 2023 5:33 pm

cegr80 wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 5:28 pm Oh, I use Spotify way more than last.fm .... so I wouldn't mind switching to a Spotify criteria

As long as we agree on number of listeners and albums for nominees, I'm game
    Yep. Might need to adjust a little since last.fm has lost a lot of popularity (at least in the US).but that's not a deal breaker for me.
    A.Sound.Of.Thunder/Accept/Ad.Infinitum/Aether.Realm/Alabama.Thunderpussy/Amaranthe/Anthrax/Arch.Enemy/Art.Of.Anarchy/At.The.Gates/Avantasia/Avatar/Burning.Witches/Cattle.Decapitation/Cemetery.Skyline/Corrosion.Of.Conformity/Crowbar/Dark.Tranquillity/Death.Angel/Death.Dealer.Union/Deathless.Legacy/Devin.Townsend/Dragony/Dream.Theater/Edguy/Elegant.Weapons/Eluveitie/Ensiferum/Exhorder/Exodus/Fates.Warning/Feuerschwanz/Goatwhore/Haken/Hammerfall/Havok/Helloween/Hellscore/Jinjer/Kerry.King/King.Diamond/King's.X/Kobra.and.the.Lotus/Lacuna.Coil/Mercyful.Fate/Meshuggah/Metal.Church/Moonspell/Mors.Principium.Est/Myrath/Napalm.Death/Ne.Obliviscaris/Nekrogoblikon/Northern.Kings/Opeth/Orphaned.Land/Overkill/Paradise.Lost/Persefone/Powerwolf/Queensryche/Rage/Raven/Ravenous.EH/Riot.V/Sabaton/Scardust/Scorched.Moon/Seven.Spires/SIGH/Skiltron/Solemn.Vision/Sonata.Arctica/Soto/Stratovarius/Subway.to.Sally/Suicidal.Tendencies/Svartsot/Symphony.X/Testament/The.Black.Dahlia.Murder/The.Hu/The.Unity/Tribunal/Trouble/Twilight.Force/Unleash.The.Archers/Van.Canto/Within.Temptation
    mooyagi
    Captain

by mooyagi » Mon Jan 16, 2023 8:07 pm

cegr80 wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 2:37 pm
    Godflesh wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 1:15 pm We already have 9 newbie bands with < 10000 listeners.
    I'm not sure if omitting number of albums is good for nominees. Some of those bands you are counting clearly have more than one album
    I'm pretty sure Nightmare won one year and they'd been around for a couple of decades :lol:
    I should get around to updating my signature
    cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Mon Jan 16, 2023 10:07 pm

This was our full criteria for 2020:

1. The band must have never played on the boat before
    2. The band must have less than 10,000 listeners on last.fm
    3. The band must not have "famous" members (from other well-known bands, for instance)
    Upcoming Gigs:
    2025 Wishlist
    bodomdragon
    Sub-Lieutenant

by bodomdragon » Tue Jan 17, 2023 2:49 am

cowboy71 wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 10:07 pm This was our full criteria for 2020:

3. The band must not have "famous" members (from other well-known bands, for instance)
    My suggestion would be making a slight adjustment (changing point 2), following a criteria more focused on the "lesser known bands" rather than establishing a certain threshold:

1. The 6 bands with the lesser listeners on Spotify are selected
    2. The band must have never played on the boat before
    4. If any of the 6 selected bands in point 1 break rules 2 or 3, the next less listened band makes it to the list, ensuring we have 6 candidates (10% of the lineup)
    Wishlist:

cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Tue Jan 17, 2023 3:20 am

bodomdragon wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 2:49 am
    cowboy71 wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 10:07 pm This was our full criteria for 2020:

My suggestion would be making a slight adjustment (changing point 2), following a criteria more focused on the "lesser known bands" rather than establishing a certain threshold:

4. If any of the 6 selected bands in point 1 break rules 2 or 3, the next less listened band makes it to the list, ensuring we have 6 candidates (10% of the lineup)
    This methodology is statsman-approved.
    Upcoming Gigs:
    2025 Wishlist
    toby
    Midshipman

by toby » Tue Jan 17, 2023 7:30 am

So, as of now, who are our first timers?
    bodomdragon
    Sub-Lieutenant

by bodomdragon » Tue Jan 17, 2023 7:55 am

I am having quite busy days lately but if you guys want to help me out filling this stupid template that would be super useful. Feel free to contribute with one, five or ten bands and we'll get it done as a team in no time :)

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
    Wishlist:

toby
    Midshipman

by toby » Tue Jan 17, 2023 8:46 am

I just put in all the current bands. No point in looking up listeners until we put in first timers, IMO.
    bodomdragon
    Sub-Lieutenant

by bodomdragon » Tue Jan 17, 2023 8:57 am

Thanks, I just added some info of bands that I know by heart that are repeats or are not. The ones I've left blank still need to be checked.
    Wishlist:

cegr80
    Lieutenant

by cegr80 » Tue Jan 17, 2023 10:17 am

bodomdragon wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 2:49 amMy suggestion would be making a slight adjustment (changing point 2), following a criteria more focused on the "lesser known bands" rather than establishing a certain threshold:

OK, I understand better now. I second this motion :beerwink:
    toby
    Midshipman

by toby » Tue Jan 17, 2023 10:17 am

Wolfchant has definitely been onbroad before. They even wrote a song about it. lol I'll see if I can check the others here and there between tasks.
    toby
    Midshipman

by toby » Tue Jan 17, 2023 10:20 am

Should Dear Mother be struck because of Merel?
    bodomdragon
    Sub-Lieutenant

by bodomdragon » Tue Jan 17, 2023 10:34 am

toby wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 10:20 am Should Dear Mother be struck because of Merel?
    I'm adding the spotify listeners now. I wondered the same thing but my perception is that Dear Mother will not make it anyway (has a relatively high amount of monthly listeners).
    Wishlist:

cegr80
    Lieutenant

by cegr80 » Tue Jan 17, 2023 10:35 am

For criteria #3, does it apply to both current and past members?
    bodomdragon
    Sub-Lieutenant

by bodomdragon » Tue Jan 17, 2023 10:41 am

OK so I completed the first version of the Excel file (thanks toby and anyone else who may have helped!). You can all check the file itself (please don't break it) but this is what it looks like right now:

Empress 789
    Fractal Universe 3302
    Cryptosis 3363
    Isole 3388
    Osyron 3627
    Eshtadur 9301

Hei'an 10148
    Deathless Legacy 10200
    Hideous Divinity 12473
    Nothgard 13961

These are the less listened bands plus the monthly listeners in Spotify. In bold the six candidates by the rules we defined before. Sad to see Hei'an doesn't make it.
    Wishlist:

bodomdragon
    Sub-Lieutenant

by bodomdragon » Tue Jan 17, 2023 10:42 am

cegr80 wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 10:35 am For criteria #3, does it apply to both current and past members?
    I would suggest you just type the name and then we can decide together. For now the "famous members" have had no impact on the current candidates.
    Wishlist:

toby
    Midshipman

by toby » Tue Jan 17, 2023 10:52 am

bodomdragon wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 10:41 am OK so I completed the first version of the Excel file (thanks toby and anyone else who may have helped!). You can all check the file itself (please don't break it) but this is what it looks like right now:

Empress 789
    Fractal Universe 3302
    Cryptosis 3363
    Isole 3388
    Osyron 3627
    Eshtadur 9301

Hei'an 10148
    Deathless Legacy 10200
    Hideous Divinity 12473
    Nothgard 13961

These are the less listened bands plus the monthly listeners in Spotify. In bold the six candidates by the rules we defined before. Sad to see Hei'an doesn't make it.
    Yeah, that looks like a good list. We'll have to see if the last 10(+) change it.
    Danny24601
    Petty Officer

by Danny24601 » Tue Jan 17, 2023 5:39 pm

Looks like I'm a bit late to the conversation but I'd vote against using spotify listeners as opposed to spotify, instagram, or Facebook followers, or some other more durable metric.

Monthly listeners are really variable as they only track how many people have listened to you in the past month, this number often can swing quite big even for small bands after a release or announcement and it can dip low even for established acts if they've been inactive for a period. This is causing us to overrate acts with recent releases and underrate acts in between active periods (see Isole vs. Hei'an).

I'd also vote against a limit of 6 in favor of a hard cutoff at a round number, I suspect skipper will book varying numbers of crips in different years.

Just opinions, happy to leave the rules as is if we feel like we're rolling already.
    Seventh.Wonder/Theocracy/The.Night.Flight.Orchestra/Draconian/My.Dying.Bride/Primordial/Turisas/Katatonia/Swallow.the.Sun/Eluveitie/Seven.Spires/Tyr/Soilwork/Helloween/Countless.Skies/Anaal.Nathrakh/Frozen.Crown/Sonata.Arctica/Powerwolf/Blind.Guardian/Avantasia/Within.Temptation/Aephanemer/Serenity/Saturnus/Moonspell/Scardust/The.Halo.Effect/Sabaton/Noumena/Sojourner/Dragony/Omnium.Gatherum/Soen/Paradise.Lost/Shape.of.Despair/Hamferd/Aether.Realm/Brothers.of.Metal/Dawn.of.Solace/Tribulation/Twilight.Force/Be'lakor/Wilderun/Beast.in.Black/Ensiferum/Serenity.in.Murder/Dimmu.Borgir/Amon.Amarth/Visigoth/Satyricon/Cradle.of.Filth/Unleash.the.Archers/Moonsorrow/Epica
    toby
    Midshipman

by toby » Tue Jan 17, 2023 5:49 pm

Danny24601 wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 5:39 pm Looks like I'm a bit late to the conversation but I'd vote against using spotify listeners as opposed to spotify, instagram, or Facebook followers, or some other more durable metric.

Monthly listeners are really variable as they only track how many people have listened to you in the past month, this number often can swing quite big even for small bands after a release or announcement and it can dip low even for established acts if they've been inactive for a period. This is causing us to overrate acts with recent releases and underrate acts in between active periods (see Isole vs. Hei'an).

I'd also vote against a limit of 6 in favor of a hard cutoff at a round number, I suspect skipper will book varying numbers of crips in different years.

Just opinions, happy to leave the rules as is if we feel like we're rolling already.
    I'd be cool with a followers metric. I think listens on last.fm was probably outdated because I know that I hadn't even logged in there in years. And Spotify (at least in the US) is a popular platform.
    slayergeek
    Midshipman

by slayergeek » Tue Jan 17, 2023 5:56 pm

While I would doubt you guys would want to use this “officially”, an interesting metric might be which cripper band got the highest “boost” during the cruise.

I am going to publish must/might/won’t the day of the cruise. For example right now Heian is at 24.24% must see. If after the cruise that number is 40% people must have really dug them on the boat.

It probably shouldn’t count officially, but it would be an interesting stat to see the most improved post cruise.
    Last edited by slayergeek on Tue Jan 17, 2023 6:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
    Survivor
    • 2014,2015,2016,2017,2018,2019,2020,2023,2024,See_you_in_2025

Absolute_Darkness-Death/Thrash_Band_I_am_the_Singer/Guitarist_for
    • FacebookPage-https://www.facebook.com/BandAbsoluteDarkness

Thud_Bukit-Death/Comedy_Band_I_am_the_Singer/Guitarist/Drummer/Bassist_for
    • FacebookPage-https://www.facebook.com/Thud-Bukit-100960638505481

70k Bands - Unofficial iPhone/Android_app_of_the_70,000_tons_cruise
    WishList
    • Old_Man's_Child-/-Battle_Cross-/-Impaled-/-Dismember-/-Amon_Amarth-/-Dethklok-/-Gruesome-/-Rotten_Sound-/-As_Blood_Runs_Black-/-Through_The_Eyes_Of_The_Dead-/-Testament-/
    toby
    Midshipman

by toby » Tue Jan 17, 2023 6:22 pm

slayergeek wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 5:56 pm While I would doubt you guys would want to use this “officially”, and interesting metric might be which cripper band got the highest “boost” during the cruise.

I am going to publish must/might/won’t the day of the cruise. For example right now Helen is at 24.24% must see. If after the cruise that number is 40% people must have really dug them on the boat.

It probably shouldn’t count officially, but it would be an interesting stat to see the most improved post cruise.
    That WOULD be an interesting stat. That being said, I need to update my list in the app. I'm sure I put a couple bands as Must when announced that have become Might since then.
  • MuzakMaker
    Chief Petty Officer

by MuzakMaker » Wed Jan 18, 2023 12:51 pm

Danny24601 wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 5:39 pm Looks like I'm a bit late to the conversation but I'd vote against using spotify listeners as opposed to spotify, instagram, or Facebook followers, or some other more durable metric.

The problem with using followers is it's a one time interaction. Click follow and then if you forget to unclick follow you still still get tracked whereas any method of tracking active engagement does all the work of filtering out those types of listeners for us

If there was a site that aggregated active listeners across all platforms reliably (like Last.Fm but actually worked) I'd advocate for that, but since there isn't, Spotify is going to be solid indicator of a band's stature with its wide user base
Post Reply 68 posts