Post Reply 71 posts
Advice!
  • sflheadbanger
    Petty Officer

Re: Advice!

by sflheadbanger » Sun Jan 08, 2023 10:00 am

Thanks to all who have taken time to bless us newbies with your wisdom. A couple more questions if you don't mind.
    • What's the best way to communicate with a partner on board? I assume no cell service and it looks like internet access is extra? Do short range walkies work well, or are there better ways?
    • What's the best time to get to the ship to board? I think boarding starts at noon, is there any reason to arrive earlier than that?
    • What's a general time to assume you're done with disembarking? We're trying to figure out when to schedule our bright line tickets for.
    Thanks again to everyone for answering all our questions.
    2023, 2024
    slayergeek
    Midshipman

by slayergeek » Sun Jan 08, 2023 10:29 am

sflheadbanger wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 10:00 am Thanks to all who have taken time to bless us newbies with your wisdom. A couple more questions if you don't mind.
    • What's the best way to communicate with a partner on board? I assume no cell service and it looks like internet access is extra? Do short range walkies work well, or are there better ways?
    The 'best' way would be to pay for the WiFi package, though I understand the expense. If you already HAVE a nice set of walkies, especially if they are higher end those could work, but interiors of the ship (where many events happen) could be blockers. I only tried to use these once with a cheap pair, and the results were not great.
    • What's the best time to get to the ship to board? I think boarding starts at noon, is there any reason to arrive earlier than that?
    This is a crap shoot. In general, the earlier the better, as once the shows start things get crazy and hanging out on the ship before the chaos starts at 5, especially for a newbie, is a great way to get learn the ship and meet people. That being said, sometimes boardings are delayed and everyone winds up hanging out in the cruise terminal for hours. It depends. I would error on the side of getting there earlier, but be prepared for a long line, and maybe not to be allowed on board right away at the end of the line.
    • What's a general time to assume you're done with disembarking? We're trying to figure out when to schedule our bright line tickets for.
    You can get off as early as 8:00am if you tell them you have an early flight and carry your own luggage off. If you leave it to chance to would be between 8-11 depending on when they call your boarding group. I would error on the side of ant flight to be after 1:00pm, but to be sure there are no issues

Thanks again to everyone for answering all our questions.
    Survivor
    • 2014,2015,2016,2017,2018,2019,2020,2023,2024,See_you_in_2025

Absolute_Darkness-Death/Thrash_Band_I_am_the_Singer/Guitarist_for
    • FacebookPage-https://www.facebook.com/BandAbsoluteDarkness

Thud_Bukit-Death/Comedy_Band_I_am_the_Singer/Guitarist/Drummer/Bassist_for
    • FacebookPage-https://www.facebook.com/Thud-Bukit-100960638505481

70k Bands - Unofficial iPhone/Android_app_of_the_70,000_tons_cruise
    WishList
    • Old_Man's_Child-/-Battle_Cross-/-Impaled-/-Dismember-/-Amon_Amarth-/-Dethklok-/-Gruesome-/-Rotten_Sound-/-As_Blood_Runs_Black-/-Through_The_Eyes_Of_The_Dead-/-Testament-/
    Pellaz
    Lieutenant

by Pellaz » Sun Jan 08, 2023 9:11 pm

Good lord, this forum's list feature just looks like crap. :twisted:
    sflheadbanger wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 10:00 am Thanks to all who have taken time to bless us newbies with your wisdom. A couple more questions if you don't mind.
    What's the best way to communicate with a partner on board? I assume no cell service and it looks like internet access is extra? Do short range walkies work well, or are there better ways?

The 'best' way would be to pay for the WiFi package, though I understand the expense. If you already HAVE a nice set of walkies, especially if they are higher end those could work, but interiors of the ship (where many events happen) could be blockers. I only tried to use these once with a cheap pair, and the results were not great.
    The Royal app supposedly has a chat-with-friends-onbroad feature that is $3 per day (apparently it used to be free).
    Reports on CruiseCritic vary as to whether it works well or not.
    Best bet would be to buy the lowest Wi-Fi tier and use, e.g., Facebook messenger, etc. Text messaging should be okay and probably audio. Video messaging might or might not work.

I'm not sure walkies would work too well onbroad. Reports on CruiseCritic about their functionality have been spotty at best.
    Remember that all interior walls on the ship are metal :headbanger: and signals -- including Wi-Fi, too -- have a hard time penetrating. In fact, if your Wi-Fi in your stateroom is lousy, one proven workaround is to prop your door open. :lol:
    What's the best time to get to the ship to board? I think boarding starts at noon, is there any reason to arrive earlier than that?

This is a crap shoot. In general, the earlier the better, as once the shows start things get crazy and hanging out on the ship before the chaos starts at 5, especially for a newbie, is a great way to get learn the ship and meet people. That being said, sometimes boardings are delayed and everyone winds up hanging out in the cruise terminal for hours. It depends. I would error on the side of getting there earlier, but be prepared for a long line, and maybe not to be allowed on board right away at the end of the line.
    I've always tried to get there fairly early, around 10:30 am at the latest. I've had to wait in the seating area in the terminal for a while, but that was part of the fun; it's a bit of a party atmosphere.

Note that this is the first 70K sailing out of PortMiami since 2015 and we've been out of Port Everglades for five years thereafter, so things might be different from what most of us remember.
    I was onbroad in 2015 but I can't remember the specifics of our boarding process that year.
    What's a general time to assume you're done with disembarking? We're trying to figure out when to schedule our bright line tickets for.
    You can get off as early as 8:00am if you tell them you have an early flight and carry your own luggage off. If you leave it to chance to would be between 8-11 depending on when they call your boarding group. I would error on the side of ant flight to be after 1:00pm, but to be sure there are no issues
    sfheadbanger, I'm assuming you're taking Brightline (the new-ish train system) north to Fort Lauderdale and not to an airport? If so, you're probably okay to get a ticket at noon or later. You may be able to change your ticket time if you end up there wayyy early.
    As I recall, first-class passengers can get free transportation within five miles at the end of your ride.

In a year or two they'll finish the line and we'll be able to take Brightline to and from Orlando from Miami, which opens another potential airport for us as well as easier transit to/from Disney, Universal, etc. Brightline is America's first privately-owned passenger rail system in YEARS. :beerbang:
    2025 Wishlist:
    1349--Abbath--Abigail.Williams--Aephanemer--Agalloch--Agathodaimon--Alien.Weaponry--Allegaeon--Amon.Amarth--Amorphis--Animals.As.Leaders--Arkona--Arsis--Atrocity--Ayreon--Bal.Sagoth--Baroness--Barren.Earth--Battlelore--Behemoth--Below.7--Belzebubs--Be'lakor--Black.Crown.Initiate--Bloodbath--Borknagar--Broken.Trinity--Cannibal.Corpse--Chthe'ilist--CoF--Countless.Skies--Cynic--Demons.&.Wizards--Dimmu.Borgir--Dark.Tranquillity--Dragonforce--Edge.of.Sanity--Witherscape--anything.Dan.Swano--Eluveitie--Eneferens--Ensiferum--Enslaved--Eternal.Tears.of.Sorrow--Evergrey--Exmortus--Ex.Deo--Fear.Factory--Fires.In.the.Distance--Gojira--Graveworm--Green.Carnation--Hypocrisy--Immortal--Insomnium--Irreversible.Mechanism--Kalmah--Kamelot--Keep.Of.Kalessin--Korpiklaani--Kreator--Leprous--Luciferan.Light.Orchestra--Loss--Melechesh--Meshuggah--Mezarkabul--Moonspell--Mors.Principium.Est--Myrath--Ne.Obliviscaris--Nile--Nokturnal.Mortem--NorthTale--Novembers.Doom--Obscura--Old.Mans.Child--Opeth--Paladin--Poisonblack--Powerwolf--Primordial--Rapheumet's.Well--Raven--Rivers.Of.Nihil--Ryujin--Sabaton--Sadistic.Ritual--Samael--Satyricon--Savatage--Scale.the.Summit--Scorched.Moon--Septic.Flesh--Serious.Black--Seven.Spires--Sigh--Skalmold--Slough.Feg--Starkill--Steorrah--SYL--Suidakra--Summoning--Tarot--Therion--Thy.Serpent--Tomarum--Tomb.Mold--Turisas--Twilight.Force--Tyr--Vale.Of.Pnath--Valhalore--Vesania--Vintersorg--Wolfchant--Yyrkoon
    2015-2020; 2023-2024: Survivor
    2025: most likely
    mindgrind
    Petty Officer

by mindgrind » Wed Jan 11, 2023 6:38 am

If anyone has food problems be sure to ask for the top dog at the buffet, they will meet with you and work with you, they have helped me every year since 2011. always respect the workers and they will respect you. :bmhorns:
    2024 - Deck mold 2
    2023 - Deck 10 cheap room 4 walls no window
    2020 - Deck 4
    2019 - Deck 2
    2018 - Deck 10
    2017 - Deck 7
    2016 -
    2015 - Deck 9
    2014 - Deck 4
    2013 - Deck 3
    2012 - Deck 2 on Barge
    2012 - Deck 6
    2011 - Deck 7
    toby
    Midshipman

by toby » Wed Jan 11, 2023 8:16 am

mindgrind wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 6:38 am If anyone has food problems be sure to ask for the top dog at the buffet, they will meet with you and work with you, they have helped me every year since 2011. always respect the workers and they will respect you. :bmhorns:
    RC staff at the Windjammer is always pretty helpful, IME. I tend to go for the vegetarian section since IME it's less overloaded with sugar and/or salt.
    Survivor 2019,2020,2023,2024/Wishlist...
    A.Sound.Of.Thunder/Accept/Ad.Infinitum/Aether.Realm/Alabama.Thunderpussy/Amaranthe/Anthrax/Arch.Enemy/Art.Of.Anarchy/At.The.Gates/Avantasia/Avatar/Burning.Witches/Cattle.Decapitation/Cemetery.Skyline/Corrosion.Of.Conformity/Crowbar/Dark.Tranquillity/Death.Angel/Death.Dealer.Union/Deathless.Legacy/Devin.Townsend/Dragony/Dream.Theater/Edguy/Elegant.Weapons/Eluveitie/Ensiferum/Exhorder/Exodus/Fates.Warning/Goatwhore/Haken/Hammerfall/Havok/Helloween/Hellscore/Jinjer/Kerry.King/King.Diamond/King's.X/Kobra.and.the.Lotus/Lacuna.Coil/Mercyful.Fate/Meshuggah/Metal.Church/Moonspell/Mors.Principium.Est/Myrath/Napalm.Death/Ne.Obliviscaris/Nekrogoblikon/Northern.Kings/Opeth/Orphaned.Land/Overkill/Paradise.Lost/Persefone/Powerwolf/Queensryche/Rage/Raven/Ravenous.EH/Riot.V/Sabaton/Scardust/Scorched.Moon/Seven.Spires/SIGH/Skiltron/Solemn.Vision/Sonata.Arctica/Soto/Stratovarius/Subway.to.Sally/Suicidal.Tendencies/Svartsot/Symphony.X/Testament/The.Black.Dahlia.Murder/The.Hu/The.Unity/Tribunal/Trouble/Twilight.Force/Unleash.The.Archers/Van.Canto/Within.Temptation
    Pellaz
    Lieutenant

by Pellaz » Thu Jan 12, 2023 1:56 am

We should be getting our Royal Caribbean booking emails shortly...which will probably raise a whole host of questions. It's been so long even us veteran survivors will likely have forgotten about stuff. :lol:

One thing I vaguely remember: If there's a choice between Early Dining, Late Dining or My Time Dining, don't worry about it. The main dining room will be open-seating for the duration for our charter.

You should also be able to select whether you want the "California king" bed separated into to twins, or together. IME, whichever you select will be the way it ISN'T set up when you arrive. :twisted:
    2025 Wishlist:
    1349--Abbath--Abigail.Williams--Aephanemer--Agalloch--Agathodaimon--Alien.Weaponry--Allegaeon--Amon.Amarth--Amorphis--Animals.As.Leaders--Arkona--Arsis--Atrocity--Ayreon--Bal.Sagoth--Baroness--Barren.Earth--Battlelore--Behemoth--Below.7--Belzebubs--Be'lakor--Black.Crown.Initiate--Bloodbath--Borknagar--Broken.Trinity--Cannibal.Corpse--Chthe'ilist--CoF--Countless.Skies--Cynic--Demons.&.Wizards--Dimmu.Borgir--Dark.Tranquillity--Dragonforce--Edge.of.Sanity--Witherscape--anything.Dan.Swano--Eluveitie--Eneferens--Ensiferum--Enslaved--Eternal.Tears.of.Sorrow--Evergrey--Exmortus--Ex.Deo--Fear.Factory--Fires.In.the.Distance--Gojira--Graveworm--Green.Carnation--Hypocrisy--Immortal--Insomnium--Irreversible.Mechanism--Kalmah--Kamelot--Keep.Of.Kalessin--Korpiklaani--Kreator--Leprous--Luciferan.Light.Orchestra--Loss--Melechesh--Meshuggah--Mezarkabul--Moonspell--Mors.Principium.Est--Myrath--Ne.Obliviscaris--Nile--Nokturnal.Mortem--NorthTale--Novembers.Doom--Obscura--Old.Mans.Child--Opeth--Paladin--Poisonblack--Powerwolf--Primordial--Rapheumet's.Well--Raven--Rivers.Of.Nihil--Ryujin--Sabaton--Sadistic.Ritual--Samael--Satyricon--Savatage--Scale.the.Summit--Scorched.Moon--Septic.Flesh--Serious.Black--Seven.Spires--Sigh--Skalmold--Slough.Feg--Starkill--Steorrah--SYL--Suidakra--Summoning--Tarot--Therion--Thy.Serpent--Tomarum--Tomb.Mold--Turisas--Twilight.Force--Tyr--Vale.Of.Pnath--Valhalore--Vesania--Vintersorg--Wolfchant--Yyrkoon
    toby
    Midshipman

by toby » Thu Jan 12, 2023 7:56 am

I don't know if I remember the dining or bed setup being a check-in option.

That being said, yeah, it should be coming SOOOON. I'd expect it by the 16th. I've also been checking my account at RC because it has showed up there once or twice before I got the email.
    A.Sound.Of.Thunder/Accept/Ad.Infinitum/Aether.Realm/Alabama.Thunderpussy/Amaranthe/Anthrax/Arch.Enemy/Art.Of.Anarchy/At.The.Gates/Avantasia/Avatar/Burning.Witches/Cattle.Decapitation/Cemetery.Skyline/Corrosion.Of.Conformity/Crowbar/Dark.Tranquillity/Death.Angel/Death.Dealer.Union/Deathless.Legacy/Devin.Townsend/Dragony/Dream.Theater/Edguy/Elegant.Weapons/Eluveitie/Ensiferum/Exhorder/Exodus/Fates.Warning/Goatwhore/Haken/Hammerfall/Havok/Helloween/Hellscore/Jinjer/Kerry.King/King.Diamond/King's.X/Kobra.and.the.Lotus/Lacuna.Coil/Mercyful.Fate/Meshuggah/Metal.Church/Moonspell/Mors.Principium.Est/Myrath/Napalm.Death/Ne.Obliviscaris/Nekrogoblikon/Northern.Kings/Opeth/Orphaned.Land/Overkill/Paradise.Lost/Persefone/Powerwolf/Queensryche/Rage/Raven/Ravenous.EH/Riot.V/Sabaton/Scardust/Scorched.Moon/Seven.Spires/SIGH/Skiltron/Solemn.Vision/Sonata.Arctica/Soto/Stratovarius/Subway.to.Sally/Suicidal.Tendencies/Svartsot/Symphony.X/Testament/The.Black.Dahlia.Murder/The.Hu/The.Unity/Tribunal/Trouble/Twilight.Force/Unleash.The.Archers/Van.Canto/Within.Temptation
  • sflheadbanger
    Petty Officer

by sflheadbanger » Fri Jan 13, 2023 12:59 pm

Pellaz wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 9:11 pm Good lord, this forum's list feature just looks like crap. :twisted:
    Yeah, it's seriously ugly and confusing because it looks like a code block used in many chat programs and editors.

sfheadbanger, I'm assuming you're taking Brightline (the new-ish train system) north to Fort Lauderdale and not to an airport? If so, you're probably okay to get a ticket at noon or later. You may be able to change your ticket time if you end up there wayyy early.
    As I recall, first-class passengers can get free transportation within five miles at the end of your ride.

In a year or two they'll finish the line and we'll be able to take Brightline to and from Orlando from Miami, which opens another potential airport for us as well as easier transit to/from Disney, Universal, etc. Brightline is America's first privately-owned passenger rail system in YEARS. :beerbang:
    Yup, we'll be taking Brightline from West Palm to Miami. Turns out there's a lounge we can use if we get there too early, but we took everyone's advice and booked something after 1PM. There's apparently a shuttle service to the port as well so I think we'll be good to go on that front. Based on advice here we'll be getting to the Miami station at 10AM.

Yup, we can't wait for the Orlando extension. It'll make day trips to ride coasters at Universal so much easier.
    2023, 2024
  • Wraith61636
    Oiler

by Wraith61636 » Mon Jan 16, 2023 8:32 am

I am curious about this one, I got the RC app and did all the checking in i could, but I'm wondering as far as the wellness check thing I've got scheduled from 10:30-11. How does that work out, does that mean I have to be there extra early for lines or what exactly? And if so what is the best times to be there? Still just trying to figure out ahead of time to be as prepared as possible so there's no issues I may not know about that yall survivors do. I appreciate any info on this.
    toby
    Midshipman

by toby » Mon Jan 16, 2023 8:51 am

Wraith61636 wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 8:32 am I am curious about this one, I got the RC app and did all the checking in i could, but I'm wondering as far as the wellness check thing I've got scheduled from 10:30-11. How does that work out, does that mean I have to be there extra early for lines or what exactly? And if so what is the best times to be there? Still just trying to figure out ahead of time to be as prepared as possible so there's no issues I may not know about that yall survivors do. I appreciate any info on this.
    It looks like there will be a questionnaire to fill out on the 29th in the app. I'm assuming they'll ask similar questions to the little form they used to have everybody fill out (any recent cold/flu/covid symptoms, etc. etc.). This is kind of a new thing for almost all of us.
  • Richo
    Oiler

by Richo » Mon Jan 16, 2023 11:35 am

Question: Do you guys know any service in Miami to store a suitcase? I am planning to embark with a smaller bag while I store my bigger suitcase.
    toby
    Midshipman

by toby » Mon Jan 16, 2023 11:55 am

Richo wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 11:35 am Question: Do you guys know any service in Miami to store a suitcase? I am planning to embark with a smaller bag while I store my bigger suitcase.
    I don't know any personally, but "luggage storage miami port" pulls up multiple results on Google.
  • Wraith61636
    Oiler

by Wraith61636 » Mon Jan 16, 2023 12:14 pm

toby wrote:
    Wraith61636 wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 8:32 am I am curious about this one, I got the RC app and did all the checking in i could, but I'm wondering as far as the wellness check thing I've got scheduled from 10:30-11. How does that work out, does that mean I have to be there extra early for lines or what exactly? And if so what is the best times to be there? Still just trying to figure out ahead of time to be as prepared as possible so there's no issues I may not know about that yall survivors do. I appreciate any info on this.
    It looks like there will be a questionnaire to fill out on the 29th in the app. I'm assuming they'll ask similar questions to the little form they used to have everybody fill out (any recent cold/flu/covid symptoms, etc. etc.). This is kind of a new thing for almost all of us.
    I got you, just going to have to go with the flow and figure it out as we go. Thanks alot
    toby
    Midshipman

by toby » Mon Jan 16, 2023 1:15 pm

Wraith61636 wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 12:14 pm
    toby wrote:
    I got you, just going to have to go with the flow and figure it out as we go. Thanks alot
    Yeah, we just need to check the app on 1/29.
  • Hvymtl
    Wiper

Noob questions

by Hvymtl » Wed Jan 18, 2023 5:30 am

What can I expect for trip. How many different stages are there? When do performances usually take place? Are they on sailing days only? Are there any during the shore times? Any other info about the shore day would be appreciated like do you have to leave the ship? If you do can you come and go freely? What is happening or available on the ship that day?
    slayergeek
    Midshipman

Re: Noob questions

by slayergeek » Wed Jan 18, 2023 6:27 am

Hvymtl wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 5:30 am What can I expect for trip.

How many different stages are there?

When do performances usually take place?
    2 for each band, plus the all star jam, belly flop contest, karaoke, meet and greets and clinics.
    Are they on sailing days only?
    Most days, we are only in port for 1/2 a day

Are there any during the shore times?
    No

Any other info about the shore day would be appreciated like do you have to leave the ship?
    Leaving the ship is optional

If you do can you come and go freely?
    Yep, enter and leave at will, though you are subject to security when coming back on board.

What is happening or available on the ship that day?
    All shops and the casino are closed while we are docked. Bars and the buffet are open though

Survivor

WishList
    • Old_Man's_Child-/-Battle_Cross-/-Impaled-/-Dismember-/-Amon_Amarth-/-Dethklok-/-Gruesome-/-Rotten_Sound-/-As_Blood_Runs_Black-/-Through_The_Eyes_Of_The_Dead-/-Testament-/
    denebola666
    Oiler

Gift"cards" for onboard credit?

by denebola666 » Wed Jan 18, 2023 6:38 am

Hello,
    don't know if this is the right spot to ask:
    Is there an option to buy e.g. a 10$ "Voucher" for onboard credit i can hand to somebody on board?
    So when i meet Ron and would like to thank him for the lot of work he does for the app - and when we meet there is no time for beer / to early to drink / Ron does not like me - so i coud hand this over to Ron and he can spent this during the cruise...
    Thx for your support
    See you on the boat!
    Survivor 2015, 2016, 2017, 2019, 2023, 2024 Abandon ship :cry:
    slayergeek
    Midshipman

Re: Gift"cards" for onboard credit?

by slayergeek » Wed Jan 18, 2023 6:49 am

denebola666 wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 6:38 am Hello,
    Is there an option to buy e.g. a 10$ "Voucher" for onboard credit i can hand to somebody on board?
    So when i meet Ron and would like to thank him for the lot of work he does for the app - and when we meet there is no time for beer / to early to drink / Ron does not like me - so i coud hand this over to Ron and he can spent this during the cruise...
    Thx for your support
    See you on the boat!
    Just come to the pre-party in Miami at the Cleavlander. That’s the place to hangout and drink pre-cruise without missing shows! See you onboard as well. No payment needed.

Thanks!
    Survivor

WishList
    toby
    Midshipman

Re: Noob questions

by toby » Wed Jan 18, 2023 8:13 am

Hvymtl wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 5:30 amWhen do performances usually take place? Are they on sailing days only?
    Just to flesh out Ron's responses a little... Performances start once we're in international waters. So, on 'at sail' days, performances run from about 10am until 5 or 6am the next day. That will be the Tuesday and Thursday. On port days, it will be more like 5 or 6pm until 5 or 6am. That's why 70K alumni are called Survivors, because it really feels like you survived something. :viking:
  • sflheadbanger
    Petty Officer

by sflheadbanger » Wed Jan 18, 2023 8:06 pm

Do the bands provide things to be signed like pictures, or do you have to being your own?
    2023, 2024
    slayergeek
    Midshipman

by slayergeek » Wed Jan 18, 2023 8:31 pm

sflheadbanger wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 8:06 pm Do the bands provide things to be signed like pictures, or do you have to being your own?
    You need to bring your own. You can buy a shirt on board starting on Day 2, but other then that its what you bring.
    Survivor

WishList
    denebola666
    Oiler

Re: Gift"cards" for onboard credit?

by denebola666 » Wed Jan 18, 2023 11:41 pm

slayergeek wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 6:49 am
    denebola666 wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 6:38 am Hello,
    Thx for your support
    See you on the boat!
    Just come to the pre-party in Miami at the Cleavlander. That’s the place to hangout and drink pre-cruise without missing shows! See you onboard as well. No payment needed.

Thanks!
    Thx! I wil try to make it!
    CU
    BR Michael
    Survivor 2015, 2016, 2017, 2019, 2023, 2024 Abandon ship :cry:
  • sflheadbanger
    Petty Officer

by sflheadbanger » Tue Feb 07, 2023 3:05 pm

Thank you to everyone who posted advice and answered questions. The info you folks gave really helped Laura and I and ensure we had a great time. I had pretty high expectations about how great this was going to be and the reality exceeded it. Hope to see you all next year, we'll try to spend more time on meeting and chatting with people. This year we pretty much focused on seeing as many bands as we could. Well, last least I did, Laura will talk to a wall if she thinks it might talk back =)
    2023, 2024
    cowboy71
    Commander

by cowboy71 » Tue Feb 07, 2023 4:25 pm

sflheadbanger wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 3:05 pm Laura will talk to a wall if she thinks it might talk back =)
    And when it DOES talk back, well, then, probably time for a nap :D

Glad y'all had such a great time. See you next year :D
    Upcoming Gigs:
    -/-Halestorm?-/-Fleshgod-Apocalypse-/-Scar-Symmetry-/-Wind-Rose-/-Unleash-The-Archers
    2025 Wishlist
    Ad-Infinitum-/-Aephanemer-/-All-For-Metal-/-Alterium-/-Ancient-Bards-/-Atlas-Pain-/-Avantasia-/-Battlelore-/Beast-In-Black-/-Believer-/-Beyond-The-Black-/-Brothers-of-Metal-/-Catalyst-Crime-/-Civil-War-/-Circus-Maximus-/-Claymorean-/-Cobra-Spell-/-Dark-Moor-/-Dark-Sarah-/-Dartagnan-/-Diabulus-In-Musica-/-Edguy-/-Ex-Libris-/-Exit-Eden-/-Fellowship-/-Follow-The-Cipher-/-Frozen-Crown-/-Galderia-/-Hammer-King-/-Heavatar-/-Ignea-/-Imperial-Age-/-In-This-Moment-/-Jaldaboath-/-Kaledon-/-Labyrinth-/-Living-Sacrifice-/-Metalite-/-Moonlight-Haze-/-Neopera-/-Nestor-/-Nocturna-/-Orden-Ogan-/-Pathfinder-/-Phantom-Elite-/-Poisonblack-/-Power-Paladin-/-Powerwolf-/-The-Privateer-/-Rexoria-/-Running-Wild-/-She-Wolf-/-Silver-Bullet-/-Sleeping-Romance-/-Sojourner-/-Tarot-/-Ten-/-Thaurorod-/-The-Big-Deal-/-The-Dark-Element-/-Trick-or-Treat-/-Trillium-/-Unisonic-/-Valhalore-/-Vanishing-Point-/-Volturian-/-Walk-In-Darkness-/-Within-Temptation
  • Hvymtl
    Wiper

Travel to port

by Hvymtl » Thu Jan 25, 2024 5:26 pm

Any advice on a reliable low cost option to get from FLL to the port. Google maps and Miami-dad transit app says there’s a bus but can’t find any info as to who runs it and how much it is. I have also tried calling royal Caribbean about there’s shuttle service as instructed on the 70K site but they either keep transferring me around with saying they can’t because it’s a group booking and to contact um cruises who runs 70K. Any suggestions from anyone who has made the trip from Ft. Lauderdale airport to the cruise port would be helpful.
    toby
    Midshipman

Re: Travel to port

by toby » Thu Jan 25, 2024 6:14 pm

Hvymtl wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 5:26 pm Any advice on a reliable low cost option to get from FLL to the port. Google maps and Miami-dad transit app says there’s a bus but can’t find any info as to who runs it and how much it is. I have also tried calling royal Caribbean about there’s shuttle service as instructed on the 70K site but they either keep transferring me around with saying they can’t because it’s a group booking and to contact um cruises who runs 70K. Any suggestions from anyone who has made the trip from Ft. Lauderdale airport to the cruise port would be helpful.
    I don't know where you're coming from, but arriving day of embarkation is a bad idea. Too many variables with flight delays and transportation to gamble. That being said, your best bet is probably a taxi from FLL to Port of Miami. 70K leaves from Miami this round. It's a roughly 30 minute ride on a good day.
    Pellaz
    Lieutenant

by Pellaz » Thu Jan 25, 2024 6:23 pm

Hvymtl wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 5:26 pm Any advice on a reliable low cost option to get from FLL to the port. Google maps and Miami-dad transit app says there’s a bus but can’t find any info as to who runs it and how much it is. I have also tried calling royal Caribbean about there’s shuttle service as instructed on the 70K site but they either keep transferring me around with saying they can’t because it’s a group booking and to contact um cruises who runs 70K. Any suggestions from anyone who has made the trip from Ft. Lauderdale airport to the cruise port would be helpful.
    We're assuming you're arriving by plane on embark morning, which is not recommended to begin with. I've done it once and I was tense and keyed up all morning.
    That means you will likely not have too much time to mess around with cheaper ideas, like going west to take a train south to Miami and then getting back east to PortMiami. Remember that you MUST be onbroad 90 minutes before official departure time.

So either a taxi or an Uber/Lyft is likely your best, and possibly only option. It will NOT be cheap; Miami and Fort Lauderdale are not close together and traffic makes it much worse. (I personally prefer the Ft. Lauderdale area to Miami, but I think the Miami cruise terminal is a bit better.)
    2025 Wishlist:
    toby
    Midshipman

by toby » Thu Jan 25, 2024 6:25 pm

Pellaz wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 6:23 pmI personally prefer the Ft. Lauderdale area to Miami, but I think the Miami cruise terminal is a bit better.
    100% true.
  • Hvymtl
    Wiper

by Hvymtl » Thu Jan 25, 2024 7:52 pm

Last year flew into Miami on day of and took the metro to the port and was there way before they were letting people into the terminal. This year unfortunately couldn’t get into Miami so had to go to Ft. Lauderdale and really only had one choice for a flight but scheduled to land before the sun comes up. Just haven’t been able to get any clear info on getting to the port other than Uber/taxi.
    toby
    Midshipman

by toby » Thu Jan 25, 2024 8:00 pm

Hvymtl wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 7:52 pm Last year flew into Miami on day of and took the metro to the port and was there way before they were letting people into the terminal. This year unfortunately couldn’t get into Miami so had to go to Ft. Lauderdale and really only had one choice for a flight but scheduled to land before the sun comes up. Just haven’t been able to get any clear info on getting to the port other than Uber/taxi.
    Taxi is definitely your best bet since there are stands and very little waiting usually. There are just always stories of people having flight delays from colder climates or even cancellations. I know there's somebody coming from the Northwest that had their flight for Saturday cancelled already and was struggling to find a Sunday one due to the 737 Max 9 issues.
  • Parallax_Attack
    Wiper

by Parallax_Attack » Thu Jan 25, 2024 11:34 pm

I'll put my 2 cents in since I stayed up near FLL last year before the cruise.

There is a free shuttle bus from the FLL airport to the Tri-Rail station. Trains run south every hour starting at 6:36 min. This gets you to the Miami airport. You can then take the Metrorail to the Government Center Station and transfer onto the Miami Trolley Coral Way route that will take you to the port. It'll drop you at Terminal G so you need to walk down to the boat at Terminal A, about 1.3 miles. I'd double check with the Transit app before committing though since I'm not sure everything is the same as last year.