The town of Ocho Rios, on Jamaica’s north coast, is edged with beautiful white-sand beaches and unbelievable landscapes. Contrary to popular belief, its name does not refer to “eight rivers”, the literal Spanish translation. It derives instead from the Spanish word “chorreras”, meaning “waterfalls”, of which Ocho Rios has many – including the famous and spectacular Dunn’s River Falls.
The One Thing You Don’t Want to Miss:
Just west of downtown Ocho Rios, you’ll discover one of Jamaica’s most famous waterfalls – Dunn’s River Falls. The cool mountain waters plunge 600 feet to smooth limestone beds, then stream under the roadway before mingling with the turquoise Caribbean Sea. Whether you climb the falls or swim in the chilly eddies on the ocean side, you’re sure to remember this place.
Other Fun Things to Do:
- Board a 30-foot, two-seater bamboo raft. Your captain will guide the raft down the two-mile winding tropical river as you enjoy the lush Jamaican foliage.
- Climb into a comfortable safari-rigged Land Rover® and prepare to experience the real Jamaica.
- Board the 90-foot yacht San San for an exciting adventure off the coast of Ocho Rios.Experience an invigorating river-tubing safari down the White River and soak up the rays.
- Shop for the perfect souvenir in more than 100 duty-free stores on a Shopping & Shaw Park Combination Tour.
- Visit Bob Marley’s tomb and let one of his family members take you on a guided tour of his childhood home.
- When you’re in Jamaica, you shouldn’t miss the mouthwatering Jamaican jerk pork and chicken. It’s not haute cuisine, but you’ll crave these delicious traditional meats for years to come.
Take a downhill bike ride through limestone valleys where a variety of impressive ferns make for an amazing landscape. Take a guided tour and climb Dunn’s River Falls. Hike through the mountains and visit one of the many natural springs.
Get a Taste of Local Flavor:
When you’re in Jamaica, you shouldn’t miss the mouthwatering Jamaican jerk pork and chicken. It’s not haute cuisine, but you’ll crave these delicious traditional meats for years to come.
The Jamaican Dollar (JMD) is Jamaica’s official currency. US-Dollars (USD), traveler’s checks and credit cards are widely accepted.
You can find more information on Ocho Rios at the official Jamaica Tourism Board website here.